Feb 2022
spy x trash
by a long long shot, the loli was annoying too
Jul 10, 2023 9:56 AM

Nov 2019
Ventus_S said:

I'm sorry mom :(

30 words limit.....

Now your mom is even more let down at you apologising me, instead of her.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Jul 10, 2023 9:57 AM

Aug 2019
- Chainsaw Man
- Oshi No Ko
- Demon Slayer
- Attack on Titan Final Season Final Part Final Cour Final Episode
Jul 10, 2023 10:08 AM
Mar 2022
- Chainsaw Man (but I will give second chance for season 2)
- Jujutsu Kaisen (can't go through second quarter)
- Megumin spinoff (first episode just bland)
- Oshi no Ko (didn't even finish first episode)
Jul 10, 2023 10:16 AM

Aug 2020
Tropisch said:
Black Rock Shooter Dawnfall. I was excited when I heard it was getting a new TV anime, but then it arrived and pretty much put the final nail in the coffin for BRS pretty much, that's how bad the anime is. Nothing like the 2012 anime which is actually decent. 

I was expecting a lot of this one too. So bad they messed things up... And btw a part of me was expecting Matou somewhere in one episode.

Jul 10, 2023 10:18 AM
Jan 2022
Spy x Mid, that boring ass show was overhyped so much you would think it was the second coming of an ancient god. But there was nothing interesting.
Jul 10, 2023 10:18 AM

Aug 2020
Not a seasonal, but Gankutsuo was promising and they changed lots of things especially the story's point of view. I also didn't really enjoy the futurist setting. It's still a good work though.

Jul 10, 2023 10:25 AM
Mar 2023
Demon Slayer is definitely my number one choice. That's just my opinion.

Among my friends and colleagues, there hasn't been any other anime recommended to me as frequently as Demon Slayer. Not just recommended, but also ranked among the top three animes they have watched. Naturally, based on experiences, I didn't go into it with high expectations. After the first 10 episodes of the first season, it started to become a chore to continue watching. Until then, I couldn't grasp the great appeal of this series at all. It made a visual impact, but it didn't leave me speechless. When I finished the first season, I genuinely thought I had watched a completely different show, a parody, a spin-off, anything but the original. I couldn't believe that this was the anime everyone was hyping. It's a generic shonen with slightly better visuals than its counterparts. The characters were one-dimensional, generic, and uninteresting. The dialogues were repetitive and lacked depth. The plot lacked subtle elements at every turn, and there was a constant live commentary from Tanjiro on every obvious detail, coupled with flashbacks that were rarely seen in such abundance. The fights looked flashy but lacked tension and execution. I'm not a fan of Naruto, but even there were a handful of fights that were far better orchestrated, despite the average visual presentation. The second season improved in a few areas but failed massively to spark any interest in watching the third season, which i refuse to watch.

I genuinely believe that my friends were just constantly on their phones while Demon Slayer played in the background, and their attention was only focused when a fight occurred. My fingers trembled with the urge to skip so many unnecessary and repetitive passages in every episode (and i never skip anything). It's probably an good anime for the younger generation, but between me and my friends who are over 25 years old, it remains a complete mystery to me how they could hype it so much.
Jul 10, 2023 10:27 AM

Jul 2022
really disappointed with how many people were disappointed by Jigokuraku. 
I was ashamed of myself when I realized life was a costume party, and I attended with my real face. - franz kafka

Jul 10, 2023 10:32 AM

Oct 2017
2U62W4N6 said:

I genuinely believe that my friends were just constantly on their phones while Demon Slayer played in the background, and their attention was only focused when a fight occurred. My fingers trembled with the urge to skip so many unnecessary and repetitive passages in every episode (and i never skip anything). It's probably an good anime for the younger generation, but between me and my friends who are over 25 years old, it remains a complete mystery to me how they could hype it so much.

This part is so on point lolz.  My sister is a decade smaller than me and exactly like you said, this is how she watches anime.
She has 2 screens opened while reading phone messages / listening music at the same time while watching anime. 
This is also why most of them only watch dub too, and a lot of time at 1.5x speed.
They rly dont care about the subtle plot or dialogues that much, and only care about Sakuga. 
Jul 10, 2023 10:37 AM

Jul 2019
I think overhyped is a really good term though. But not to mean that the show was in any way bad, but simply that people put far too high of expectations on it. that it couldn't possibly live up too. Chanisaw man, and Oshi no Ko are two recent examples of this for me. They were both very enjoyable shows, but because they were so hyped up, my expectations likewise were extremely high, and so I end up watching them and going "thats it?" I mean, it was good, but people would have had me thinking it was going to be a new advent for anime or something, lol. I would have enjoyed both of those shows far more if they didn't receive any hype at all, because I would not have been nearly as critical as I was. Hyping something up too much does it a disservice, as it naturally causes people to be far more critical of it when they watch it so see if it "deserves the hype" and most of the time it doesn't.
Jul 10, 2023 10:52 AM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
I think that 80% of all hyped shows these past few years has been a disappointment for me so I can't even name one. I don't know why that's so. Maybe because they are mostly for kids and underdeveloped people. Here comes the hate... 
But if there's comedy then it has a high change to be a good one. Most of the hyped shows have drama as well, which is my number one most hated genre. It's too cringe.
Today, I may be a weak little bug that gets tossed in the wind,
washed away by the currents, and drowns, but tomorrow,
I may become the butterfly that spreads its colossal wings and flies the open skies!

~ Oe Kintaro
Jul 10, 2023 11:08 AM

Jan 2021
I've only been hyped for a few shows/films. Legend of the Galactic Heroes The New Thesis (season 2 onwards) Sinners of the System, Fate/Strange Fake and the Fate Grand Order films (Camelot + Solomon) and Heaven Feel III none of those disappointed me. I am hyped for Madoka IV but I'm nervous due to it only having a teaser for nearly two years now. Psycho Pass Providence also is looking cool, so I'm sort of excited to see that. 

Generally hype for me comes from if I've enjoyed previous entries which I watched back when I began getting into anime, so Fate, Psycho Pass, UC Gundam and similar shows. I think by at least having a prior positive reception to these series, it not like I'm getting hyped for something I've got no real knowledge about and just wildly speculating. I can judge quality because I can refer back to my previous experiences and then use that as the bias of if my hype is warranted or unwarranted.  
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
Jul 10, 2023 11:15 AM
Jun 2019
Jujutsu kaisen, Bleach are propably the best examples of this.
Jul 10, 2023 11:24 AM
Demon Venerable

Apr 2018
I was very excited after season 1 of Jigokuraku, and afterwards immediately reached for the manga. But from the middle, author seems to have abandoned the base and started rushing to finish faster. That's how it felt to me.
I don't want to go into details because of the spoilers, but it was very frustrating... Apparently, I demanded too much from a mediocre manga that was never meant to be anything greater. Besides, I am not part of the target audience, so there is no surprise.
Jul 10, 2023 11:24 AM

Mar 2021
Ventus_S said:
icefirestone23 said:
Biggest disappointment was g witch. Holy hell did that show got put on a pedestal before airing and did it flop like crazy. All the non aerials struggle to sell, the pacing was all over the place, it set record for how fast an au can end. Even tubers that hyped it stopped watching it. Worst part it tore the fandom apart by bringing huge amounts of hate to older shows and toxic shippers.

Konosuba spinoff dropped the ball hard, it was almost impossible to imagine it was the most hyped spring show after demon slayer and oshi no Ko. By the end,
Hardly anything happened and it wasn't funny. Villain got one spotted. Gives bad signs for the rest of the series.

Other ones I say are shield hero spy x family where even manga readers are complaining about plot progression.

Positive reviews for those shows indicate the shills.

Was wondering what G witch is and then google it and it's Gundam XD.
Yeah that's why i dont usually chase original series until it's done airing cuz most of the time it'd screw up. I heard the ending is mediocre too.

Kunosuba from last season is not made by JC staff though. 
Judging from the spinoff movie being rly good, I'm not too worried about season 3 comedy aspect rly.
I know is strange to say this but JC staff wont disappoint us in KunoSuba. 
At least they have IP that's solid enough that I'm glad they handle the adaptation lolz. 

I wasn't a fan of Shield Hero too cuz I think the writing is pretty atrocious and shallow, so rly don't get all the hype and view count too when it's airing.  I heard season 2 is even worse, but I didn't bother wasting time on that crap again so not watched season 2.
Another series I feel the same is Incarnate as a Slime which is also insanely popular, but I find the writing/ world building to be very meh too. 
I read the manga and find it decent, but I think the anime adaptation is pretty bad/ boring/ low production.  
Also one can tell only the first half they rly put budget in, the 2nd half is piss poor in a lot of aspects.
I find the manga to have more emotional weight than the anime adaptation. 

Judging by the spoilers I have seen online, I don't think konosuba at least beyond season 3 can live up to its hype. Comedy is good but this type of story cannot drag on a long running series without reception crash.

Tensura they are progressing too slow and the movie got bad reviews I imagine the positive reception will crash
Jul 10, 2023 11:25 AM

Oct 2017
Raideroz-nim said:
I was very excited after season 1 of Jigokuraku, and afterwards immediately reached for the manga. But from the middle, author seems to have abandoned the base and started rushing to finish faster. That's how it felt to me.
I don't want to go into details because of the spoilers, but it was very frustrating... Apparently, I demanded too much from a mediocre manga that was never meant to be anything greater. Besides, I am not part of the target audience, so there is no surprise.
Welp guess there's no reason for me to follow season 2 then if it's only going to get worse.
Jul 10, 2023 12:53 PM
Demon Venerable

Apr 2018
Ventus_S said:
Raideroz-nim said:
Welp guess there's no reason for me to follow season 2 then if it's only going to get worse.

That's just my oponion.
And I might watch the anime, because Im watching a lot of trashy shows anyway, hahaha.
Raideroz-nimJul 11, 2023 12:12 AM
Jul 10, 2023 3:41 PM

Feb 2022
Demon Slayer for sure, I just couldn't get into it.

Jul 10, 2023 4:04 PM

May 2021
Nier Automata has become an absolute joke of a product right now and Heavenly Delusion was excesively mediocre.
Jul 10, 2023 4:13 PM

May 2014
Digimon Adventure Tri. I was into the Cencoroll character designs and seeing them grown up had me excited for what was to come. 7 films to get hype for! The films come out and we got terrible animation quality, terrible evolution sequences with a terrible messy plot. Then we get a random new girl and her cat, when we already had a girl with a cat Digimon we could've focused on instead. I can't help but feel the ending in particular would've been so much more heart breaking if it was happening to one of the core cast and their Digimon. 

There's good stuff in these films for sure, but sadly it's mostly filled with wasted potential. Which is why they repurposed a lot of ideas for Last Evolution Kizuna. A much better movie and one I consider to be much close in quality to the original Adventure anime and their short films.
Jul 10, 2023 4:18 PM

Jan 2022
Clannad after story. Couldn't handle the forced melodramatic moments and the whole spiritual shit they introduced. Just seemed like a whole lot of mushy bullshit to me. My friend hyped that shit up like crazy and I didn't like it one bit.
Jul 10, 2023 4:18 PM

Jul 2015
I would say The eminence in shadow, hell's paradise and Chainsaw man. 
Jul 10, 2023 4:46 PM
Apr 2022
Konosuba Megumin spinoff destroyed Konosuba's reputation in one cours with the laziest filler writing, one-dimensional expendable characters, plotless story. You can tell how many people shilled that series by the positive review bombing on mal, but realistiically it was so disappointing in all levels. Any positive review on that show is more or less shilling
Hate demon slayer all you want but it had more plot progression and solid fights and visuals.
Jul 10, 2023 4:48 PM

May 2021
Bunny Girl Senpai, Odd Taxi, and I’ll even add Noragami (though not on the same scale)—all shows I was built up for and extremely disappointed by
Jul 10, 2023 5:35 PM

Aug 2018
I will give an example for each case.

Jul 10, 2023 5:37 PM

Feb 2021
-Spy x Family
-CSM
-Kaguya-sama season 3

The first two especially I heard a lot of great things about them, so when I found out they were boring I let out a deep sigh. As for Kaguya, previous seasons were better and that's ironic because season 3 contains plot progression. 
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Jul 10, 2023 5:48 PM

Dec 2019
Watched everything canon of Bleach (which was bound to happen anyway) cause I FOMO'd on the Thousand-Year Blood War hype.

Idk what it was but despite watching 200+ episodes, it's still one of the most forgettable shows I've ever watched including TYBW. Don't get me wrong it's not a bad show, I guess they introduced so much half-assed to the point where it was too much to comprehend, I defo agree that SS was its peak
Jul 10, 2023 6:19 PM

Oct 2018
My Dress-Up Darling, Spy x Family, Kaguya-sama Ultra Romantic

I don't know what the hype is all about but these three are just your average animes.

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Jul 10, 2023 6:46 PM

Nov 2021
OnK was supposed to be a shoe-in binge worthy seasonal upon weekly release. I didn't regain that hype after the Episode 1-2 this Spring. I just don't care for a bunch of major main and supporting characters that can't even legally drink and whoever was on that trajectory is now dead. I understand Miyako, but she's just generic looking mother archetype to me sprinkled in with a Nino redemption arc.
Jul 10, 2023 6:47 PM

Oct 2017
Euroqean said:
Watched everything canon of Bleach (which was bound to happen anyway) cause I FOMO'd on the Thousand-Year Blood War hype.

Idk what it was but despite watching 200+ episodes, it's still one of the most forgettable shows I've ever watched including TYBW. Don't get me wrong it's not a bad show, I guess they introduced so much half-assed to the point where it was too much to comprehend, I defo agree that SS was its peak
Ahaha that's what old shonen was like, quantity over quality.  Naruto , Reborn, One Piece, they're all like this.
You have less shows to pick, no internet streaming site back then (yes, we actually follow tv schedule back then) and kids will just fed on any show thrown at them, thus the overall quality of production being low.
It is a developing era of anime at that time too and a lot of things change .
Everyone was blown away by the thousand year war production cuz they never expected it'd get such high quality treatment, comparing to previous seasons.

For me I am a manga reader so i get to skip all the low production part and just watch the thousand year war straight on lolz.
Ventus_SJul 10, 2023 6:50 PM
Jul 10, 2023 7:38 PM

Jan 2021
I don't like hyping stuff so I usually don't get dissapointed because I never expected anything. Closest would be Monster I think, it was terrible from beggining to end with bland characters, plot that literally goes nowhere and it looked so ugly you wouldn't believe it was done by Madhouse, I don't know how it is so praised.
Jul 10, 2023 7:46 PM

Dec 2021
Monster is pretty mid both the energy drink and the anime. I could never put it above DN.
Jul 11, 2023 9:20 AM

Dec 2021
Demon slayer :swordsmith village was't really different from the previous seasons, it lacked alot in terms of progression of story, most of the humour they were going with didn't land well and the whole season just felt like a filler arc except for the 1st and last episode which actually had some plot development.
Jul 11, 2023 9:58 AM

Feb 2019
Spy x Family. They might as well remove the plot 'cause it serves no real purpose.

Jul 11, 2023 5:29 PM

Dec 2017
Spy x Family for me aswell. I watched only the first 3 eps and it wasn't something that intriguing to me so I just dropped it. Since I don't like leaving things unfinished, I'll try one last time, hopefully this time eps will meet my expactation.

Also because it happened to Spy X Family, I'm afraid of same thing happening to CSM. At the end I'll see.
Jul 11, 2023 7:47 PM

Mar 2021
Hunter X Hunter, and it's not even close. I went into it believing it was going to be something special, especially after loving Yu Yu Hakusho so much, but it's so mediocre. It's top quality for about 13 episodes, but the rest was very disappointing. 

The weird thing is, if you read the episode discussions of Hunter X Hunter on here, you'll wonder how it was even rated highly at all, because the majority of the posts were more negative than positive. Another thing I noticed is that one of the arcs is rated as one of the most boring arcs seen in Shonen anime and that the first arc is mediocre. So after all of this, how is this show rated so highly? I just don't get it and I don't think I ever will. 
Jul 11, 2023 8:27 PM
Apr 2022
theoretically hyped garbage are all garbage nuff said..............................................................................................
Jul 11, 2023 8:41 PM

Apr 2021
from the top of my mind, prolly bleach
Jul 11, 2023 8:46 PM

Aug 2014
Ill just stick to animes that got more than one season:

- The second season of Alnoah Zero.  Even though season 1 was flawed, it was a fun experience. Season 2 just got stupid and lost the fun.

- The second season of the Devil is a Part Timer.  But this is a silly comedy anime for the most part, and usually silly comedy animes tend to fall flat if they get a second season, so I wont be that strict about it.  But again, huge difference in terms of enjoyment between season 1 and season 2

- The second season of School Rumble.  I wanted to see some development between Harima-Eri, and we got that, but very few scenes in a 26 episodes second season. And season 2 was just pointless comedy, while season 1 was comedy but with meaning. 

- The second and third season of SNAFU.  I really enjoyed season 1, but season 2 and season 3, even though they were alright, it was really dull overall, especially when compared to season 1. 

- The second season of Higurashi (Answers), not the remake.  This second season was so dull. Sure, we got answers, but OMG, I wish this season was only 10 episodes.
oooo3333Jul 11, 2023 8:54 PM
Jul 11, 2023 8:50 PM
Feb 2022
Demon slayer for sure, as a series it was shit level manga.
Jul 11, 2023 9:29 PM

Dec 2022
My top would be The Eminence in Shadow. I am a isekai (trash) lover at my core so I was really excited to watch it when it first released but damn I could not get through that show. Got through to like episode 9 or 10 IIRC and had to drop it. "Jokes" did not land with me and the biggest thing was the constant and very sudden tonal changes in every episode from comedic to serious to dark and back to comedic within a span of 30 seconds every single episode was very jarring and I was constantly asking wtf was happening during every episode. I absolutely loved Konosuba, Re:Zero, Reincarnated as a Slime, Overlord, etc. but I just could not vibe with this one.
Jul 11, 2023 10:36 PM

Aug 2020
Ventus_S said:
you watch throughout the year?
which one you mean this year or the past one year?
Jul 11, 2023 10:39 PM

Oct 2017
TRC_Randy said:
Ventus_S said:
you watch throughout the year?
which one you mean this year or the past one year?
Forgot to add the s, basically any year :>
Jul 11, 2023 10:57 PM

Aug 2020
Maybe CSM among the new shows and Lotgh OVA among the oldies.
Jul 11, 2023 11:37 PM

Jun 2014
One Punch Man.

It's not bad, it's just good at best.

I get it's a comedy, but I think that aspect detracted from my enjoyment of it as I don't think the show had a lot of character arcs nor development from what I can remember.

It kinda put me off from the other series made by the same guy: Mob Psycho and whatever the newest one is.

---

Another anime I am conflicted about is Demon Slayer. I can't decide whether I like it or not. A pattern I noticed with the show is that each season starts of strong and exciting for whatever the plot of that season is, but then it starts getting kinda repetitive and drawn out after awhile, at which point I'm watching it only so I can add it to my completed list. Still, I keep getting hyped for the next season.
Jul 12, 2023 12:02 AM

Oct 2008
Ranking of kings. First 9 episodes I really loved, but then the last half of the show just dragged and was a slog to get through.

Same with cyberpunk. First half was amazing, and then last half and ending were trash.
Jul 12, 2023 12:25 AM

Apr 2012
G-Witch. Subjective things aside, I can't stand it when I get too involved in the show and anxiously wait for each new episode to come out (not to mention translating interviews and collecting any news about the show), so that I can get the laziest possible result. The fanboys' attempts to attack and shut up anyone who criticized the show also played a role in fueling the disappointment and negative aftertaste. As an older example, Darling in the Franxx. It was the first season show that completely captivated me and apparently the most delusional and boring ending wasn't reward enough for that. Apparently my fascination with nostalgic mecha is really giving me a hard life.
Jul 12, 2023 9:04 AM

Jan 2021
Mushoku tensei maybe. Many people called it a good isekai and what not. I hated that anime a lot. Only the green haired tribe dude was interesting.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Jul 12, 2023 10:00 AM
cam ♡

Mar 2023
chainsaw man would be first on my list, it was definitely overhyped A LOT i think i enjoyed the first episodes more than the ones that came out later. i could probably add demon slayer swordsmith village arc to the list too, i love the past seasons but i feel like this one was missing some character development in comparison to the other seasons.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Wait, there is more? (anime that were connected to or had related entries that you didn't know about)

APolygons2 - Jun 15

30 by alshu »»
51 seconds ago

» One Piece Dub Luffy Voice?

SpeedyAlchemist - 10 minutes ago

1 by Zowabo »»
5 minutes ago

» Why do people like futanari? ( 1 2 )

Gyroe - Jun 13, 2021

71 by traed »»
12 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9126 by Tatsugaia88 »»
20 minutes ago

» Would you quit Anime if Anime caters to the West?

Dragevard - Jun 15

47 by SwordBreaker36 »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.