Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jul 9, 2023 6:32 PM

Nov 2022
Interesting premise, but the animation looks like it came from the early 2000s. Good start nonetheless.
Jul 9, 2023 6:53 PM

Aug 2013
Really interesting first episode, eiko is super sus
Jul 9, 2023 7:37 PM

Feb 2021
Bro loves feeling fear....

Now I could never understand that
Jul 9, 2023 8:03 PM
Jul 2022
Interesting, but seems somewhat childish...
Jul 9, 2023 8:32 PM
Aug 2019
Most of the episode was pretty cool, but the thing that genuinely creeped me out where the scenes at the end. Like, that... weird smile from Eiko and her soulless eyes, and also whatever was happening in Yayoi's room... that was seriously creepy, that family scares me lol. I will follow this, it seems interesting!
Jul 9, 2023 8:35 PM

Oct 2022
A girl who can see spirits and a guy who can sense them, go on a journey to hunt them all because the little girl wants to find her mother's spirit.

This show really look like Ghost Stories but without the English dub.
Jul 9, 2023 8:36 PM
Jun 2023
I feel like the show would be better with a consistent tone, but I don't hate it. It's really weird which make me interested.
Jul 9, 2023 8:37 PM

Dec 2022
Damn. I thought this would be cutesy scary, but it looks like we are going to see more ghost being tortured.
Jul 9, 2023 8:45 PM
May 2021
was a little iffy about it during the first half but the last few minutes caught my attention more. like why was keitarou smiling like that in eiko's flashback when he was clearly not having it. and why was eiko smiling the same way when the flashback ended? eiko says she's not sensitive to spirits but is that really true?

and is yayoi really that scary that the spirits try their best to ignore her? definitely some information we're still missing about the cousins, but im sure it'll come in due time.

hopefully the rest of the show goes in the direction this first episode went in the last few minutes.
My 2023 candies:
Jul 9, 2023 9:15 PM

Oct 2022
Yayoi is definitely the most striking thing about this series with her cute design and voice hiding a vicious ghost hunter underneath. Plus OLMs animation sells the spooky side of the story as well as the chill hangout vibes that our main characters have. It's going for two cours so I hope it gets some attention especially since this is a pretty fun start for adventures that go bump in the night!

Jul 9, 2023 9:24 PM

Jan 2021
A reminder to not watch this before I go to bed.

All I can say about this is that they all need serious therapy. Yayoi is definitely the creepiest of the bunch, and Keitarou has his own stuff going on, but Eiko was the one who freaked me out the most this episode. Mainly just how she relishes in her friends fear and the faces she makes while doing so.

Finally, during the part where Yayoi saw her mom get taken away, was she getting impregnated by ghosts or spirits? I know I saw a giant fetus looking thing in the air.

Jul 9, 2023 9:28 PM

Apr 2015
The first chapter fulfills its objective to hook the public, but we'll discuss that with the plot since three cliches are presented that if they are handled well, the anime will come out unscathed, which are 1- the jokes of the odd couple 2- the cute friend who hides a shady personality or taste and 3- the enemy that has the same ability as Yayoi and uses it for evil
Jul 9, 2023 10:06 PM

Oct 2022
Ok this anime is actually nice. Animation isn’t crappy, sound effects are amazing, OP is bangers, and the visuals is amazing. Great way to make a scary tension.

Jul 9, 2023 10:54 PM

Sep 2018
Wow, an anime which oozes personality, coming here from watching Eiyuu Kyoushitsu right before, it's even more evident.

An interesting tonal clash which I like here, and the horror elements were pretty damn good. Very fun start.
Jul 9, 2023 10:56 PM
Nov 2018
Has to be one of my favorites this season so far!
Jul 9, 2023 11:49 PM
Jul 2018
Anime can not be scary but it can be fun and this episode was fun to watch. 
and we are getting 25 episodes 
I am satisfied  
Jul 10, 2023 12:31 AM

Mar 2013
This is horrifyingly fun for some reason.

Her eyes looks like from Dokurou.

I am not a fan of horrors but this one looks interesting.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Jul 10, 2023 12:50 AM
Nov 2022
The character design doesn't fully convince me but the plot is interesting, I'm going to give it a chance to see how it develops.
Jul 10, 2023 1:13 AM

Aug 2013
Surprisingly good. 

Unfortunately it seems to be really episodic based. So, I am going to assume (near) every episode is going to be focused on a unique thing. This could be one of the downsides for me personally as it kinda kills off story building and such.

I do look forward too the next episode though.
Jul 10, 2023 1:56 AM

Dec 2022
The real face he made when he called the pay phone really paints a picture for his personality, and Eiko for noticing it. She's been with him for a while, so she's no doubt seen that many times. This is really creepy.....I like creepy horror aspect to it.
Jul 10, 2023 2:28 AM

Oct 2008
w0w! this is something different!  Yayoi is FEARED by spirits!
if Yayoi went to Jujutsu Kaisen realm, she'd be considered as a special class curse or the inverse..an exorcist! lolz
5/5.

Jul 10, 2023 2:31 AM

Mar 2008
Eiko doesn't seem quite right in the head herself. 

Yayoi having a 160IQ after the accident I guess is alluding to sudden savant syndrome. Basically in rare cases brain injury causes someone to develop bizarre mental skills or sudden artistic skills. 

Two pupils is actually a real thing too. It's called polychoria. 
Jul 10, 2023 3:18 AM

Sep 2011
Kind of uncertain on the tone cause the comedy feels a little juvenile, but I can see myself enjoying this when it gets more into the ghost stories outright without needing to establish our leads, I was also really uncertain of the childhood friend her personality was kind of misplaced but that ending sequence and all the weird smiles have more far more interested now.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 10, 2023 3:32 AM

Jun 2023
I do like the first episode a lot 🤩 lets see what happens next 😎
Jul 10, 2023 3:33 AM

Oct 2022
Well this anime isn't scary but definitely unsettling. I feel like Eiko set this up though, but it's so roundabout that I doubt it. Still, something is off.
Jul 10, 2023 3:34 AM
Jul 2018
uhm... Kawaii, strong, best girl, kodomo, lolinopai. I Like This 😱😱😊
Jul 10, 2023 5:19 AM

Jun 2021
This is great, awesome actually with the touch of little comedy...

New ghost busters teaming up. One who attracts ghosts, one who kills em and one who can sense the human desires. Epic team ever.
And I really want her mommy back.
OP_RiderJul 10, 2023 5:23 AM
Yandere_@lover
Jul 10, 2023 5:57 AM
Dec 2020
Limi said:
Surprisingly good. 

Unfortunately it seems to be really episodic based. So, I am going to assume (near) every episode is going to be focused on a unique thing. This could be one of the downsides for me personally as it kinda kills off story building and such.

I do look forward too the next episode though.
Without saying too much, there is an actual long-running objective/plot.
Jul 10, 2023 6:30 AM

Dec 2022
Pretty good ngl. Even with those comedic element still it send chill down to my spine when the horror comes out. 
Jul 10, 2023 7:01 AM

Oct 2016
That was pretty fucking good especially towards the end, looks like we have Freaky Sundays this season, well, Zom 100 is less horror and more survival fun. Let's just call it Supernatural Sundays, as we also have Duke of Death here.

I am really looking forward to the next episode.
Jul 10, 2023 8:07 AM
Feb 2021
the anime is fine but the ghost scream too loud please turn down the scream💦
Jul 10, 2023 8:46 AM
Apr 2020
It was a bad idea to watch this before sleep 💀
Jul 10, 2023 8:51 AM
Aug 2022
Hmm.
A interesting horror, supernatural anime.
The horror part was really amazing even comedy was present to light the humour.
Really loved this premiere.
Hoping great things from it.
Jul 10, 2023 9:32 AM

Oct 2022
This is cool. Both cute and dark, the best combo. I love that the protagonists, especially Yayoi and even Eiko too, are just as scary and screwed up as the spirits are.
UndefeatedBahamut
Jul 10, 2023 10:12 AM

Mar 2014
Not bad I guess for a creepy horror anime
Jul 10, 2023 10:49 AM

May 2015
Not a fan of horror, but it was quite entertaining. 25 episodes, though… Well, it seems the studio knows what it's doing. The art looked sleek.
Jul 10, 2023 11:10 AM

Mar 2010
Man was gonna say poor Yayoi but nah, there is something creepy with the whole cast.
Jul 10, 2023 11:20 AM
Jun 2023
A great introduction to the concept of the show
Jul 10, 2023 11:24 AM
Jan 2017
5 minutes in and this anime just feels unnatural. Like when the main character first rang the door bell, Eiko just went "Eh Kei-kun" was too fast, skipping the pause normal people would have when they are taken aback. And why would her family need a MC to tutor her cousin when you see her tutoring the MC at the start of the show.

Everything is so plastic, either this Eiko person is scheming something fierce or the director is trying to mislead me.

Really need to get this off my chest before I continue with the rest of the episode.
Jul 10, 2023 11:48 AM

Dec 2019
Really glad I picked this up, that first episode was amazing. The ending in particular was wild like it just kept playing with my expectations and I can't wait to see more, even if it ends up being monster of the week-esque for a bit.
Jul 10, 2023 12:26 PM
Oct 2022
Is it just me or does Eiko seem to be a bit .... S?
Jul 10, 2023 12:45 PM
Jan 2022
Dark atmosphere is what i loved in these episode. Creepy charakters, little plot twist and mistery. I hope it will only get better.
Jul 10, 2023 1:00 PM
Mar 2023
Me, "Hey, Dark Gathering, pick a tone!"
Dark Gathering, "ファックユー"
Jul 10, 2023 1:26 PM

Aug 2017
I would say that the exposition is good, though I could predict some of the lines, even in japanese. I like the character desing (Yayoi's eyes remind me of Soul Eater) and the premise. It seems that the story will take the  "ghost of the week" format until they find Yayoi's mother. I don't remember why I marked this series as "plan to watch" but, since I did, I think I'll watch it.

traed said:
Two pupils is actually a real thing too. It's called polychoria.

I'm pretty sure that people with poychoria don't have skulls in their eyes, though.

ZenielDanakuJul 10, 2023 1:43 PM
Jul 10, 2023 1:33 PM

Jul 2014
Wtf. The screams voice effect are something. Even those 2 girls , I cant pickup their vibes if they're even evil or not
GingZJul 10, 2023 1:37 PM
Jul 10, 2023 1:39 PM

Feb 2019
Hidive didn’t even show that this one aired yesterday, but fye first episode. People always ask for horror anime recommendations so finally we’ll be able to tell them something besides Another and Higurashi now lol. Two good ones this season with this and Zom 100.

Funny that they’re both basically OLM productions as well since Zom 100 is made by all former OLM staff from Summertime Render lol.

First episode is really a tale of two halves with the first half being more comedic and silly in nature, establishing Keitaro and Yayoi’s relationship. I like her design a lot. The first half OST and OP take you back to early 2000s anime.

Second half is where I think the show is going to be at its best. The horror and supernatural suspense were really well done. This is also where Yamamoto’s OST comes in and elevates the episode. I guess they’ll go with a more generic comedy OST for the silly parts of the episodes and then switch to Kohta for the serious stuff.

Promising first episode, two cours as well so we’ll have this on Halloween which is great.
Marinate1016Jul 10, 2023 1:46 PM
Jul 10, 2023 2:34 PM

Jul 2007
Now this is my kind of anime. What a treat to watch. Loved that there was comedy sprinkled throughout. The creepiness came across well. Can't wait for future episodes!
Jul 10, 2023 2:53 PM

Jun 2019
Horror is one of my favorite genres, but since it's something I've been overexposed to/saturated with since many years before getting into anime, I have somewhat high standards for it. Also, many series have horror elements, but what makes something primarily a horror or full-fledged horror is another question and matter entirely. Partially because I have an innate fondness and nostalgia/memories for the genre, like six of my Top 20 series are recognized and classified on MAL as partly horror, but I only really consider two of them to fit the bill in the way people actually tend to use and understand the term.

Anyway, consequently, series like this and the other newly premiering one, Zom 100, are ones I almost feel I have to check out, but I won't commit just because it's horror. Usually it's the case that unless it's a series I've been planning to watch when it's released since months or years before its actual release and added to my PTW list in advance, if it's a series like this (and Zom 100 and some others this season) which I don't learn about until close to when it starts airing or after it has already started airing, then I watch at least one, but usually two or three episodes before even bothering to add to my official Watching list.

Well, one episode of this and Zom 100 in and I can say that although I almost certainly will end up watching next week at least another episode, I don't really know how to take them so far...feel like they could easily be great or terrible or just mediocre. It really depends on what elements they choose to focus on and how ambitious or lazy and uninspired they are. Like any series and genre really, but with horror there's such a fine line between greatness and more of the same crap.
Jul 10, 2023 3:45 PM

Aug 2016
I’m still a little creeped out by Yayoi. Really solid episode. Hope it keeps it up
Jul 10, 2023 4:04 PM

Mar 2008
ZenielDanaku said:
traed said:
Two pupils is actually a real thing too. It's called polycoria.

I'm pretty sure that people with poycoria don't have skulls in their eyes, though.

Stating the obvious. Likely the author didnt even know about polycoria, just thought id point it out for fun.

None of the characters even mentioned they look like skulls so I think it's stylized for the viewer while characters dont see it.
traedJul 10, 2023 4:08 PM
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dark Gathering Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2023

89 by princessoftrash »»
Jul 24, 6:42 PM

Poll: » Dark Gathering Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2023

111 by Supremestrawhat »»
Jul 9, 4:33 AM

Poll: » Dark Gathering Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2023

68 by Supremestrawhat »»
Jul 9, 4:07 AM

Poll: » Dark Gathering Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 3, 2023

65 by Supremestrawhat »»
Jul 9, 12:39 AM

Poll: » Dark Gathering Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 26, 2023

78 by Supremestrawhat »»
Jul 9, 12:06 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.