Forum Settings
Forums

Do you care about your taste in anime and whether it's good or not?

New
May 4, 2023 7:23 AM
Sep 2021
Sometimes I have a good taste, but sometimes, I have a taste that makes me feel inferior to other fans, which makes me wonder if I'm controversial for liking anime I know are bad, but I still watch anyway, which I somehow always end up doing. Do you mind your taste in anime and are you okay with liking lowly rated shows, cause I sure don't know why do am I keep liking and watching these shows to begin with which makes me feel frowned upon by others. Does having such a taste make you look superior or inferior to others? Has someone insulted you for liking a certain anime they know is bad? 
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 4, 2023 7:26 AM

Sep 2020
Your opinion on a show matters to yourself the most. 
I like my taste a lot, and don't really care if others like mine or not.
May 4, 2023 7:26 AM
Mar 2023
Demon slayer, opm and Tokyo ghoul in favorites

Ngl, You have pretty gud taste👍
May 4, 2023 7:28 AM

Feb 2020
Of course I love my taste in anime. :3
May 4, 2023 7:30 AM
Community Mod
Undead

Mar 2022
It's tough being a Fairy Tail fan...

Jokes aside, I don't care what the general opinion of the show is.
May 4, 2023 7:37 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Of course I care about my own anime taste and it's pretty good, that's how I search for anime to watch after all...

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
May 4, 2023 7:38 AM
Feb 2014
I like my taste, no, i don't care what others think about my taste in anime, yes i wil happily watch anime which are considered as having a "low/bad" rating and yes i do end up loving/enjoying some of them a lot as well.

My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
May 4, 2023 7:44 AM
Jan 2022
Idgaf if my taste is good or bad, I watch whatever and enjoy whatever I want.

May 4, 2023 8:07 AM
Oct 2019
Idc if my taste is considered good or bad by others. I like what I like, and that's all that matters.
May 4, 2023 8:10 AM

Apr 2018
I care a little I want to like all the anime from sword art online to texhnolyze, but unfortunately I can only enjoy certain anime and I have no idea what kind of.

May 4, 2023 8:16 AM

Feb 2021
No, I don't care about it. I can't say whether it is good or not, I can watch everything.
May 4, 2023 8:19 AM

Sep 2018
My idea of good taste is liking some popular/highly rated anime and disliking some others, liking some unpopular/lowly rated anime and disliking some others. Even better if from a wide array of genres. I'm satisfied with my taste, it could be better in some aspects but I can't forcefully change it, taste naturally develops over time.
NirinboMay 4, 2023 8:23 AM
May 4, 2023 8:23 AM
Jul 2018
not really i like what a i like and hate what i hate 

i dont need a prententious douchebag to call my taste shit
May 4, 2023 8:42 AM

Jun 2019
I don't even need to care. Everyone already knows my superior intellect. 
May 4, 2023 8:43 AM

Dec 2015
I watch anime for myself so I don't care if someone think if my taste is good or not, I do that for enjoyment and for myself not for others.
May 4, 2023 8:48 AM

Nov 2021
Everyone has their own preferences can’t agree or disagree all the time not faking my lists. Personally like it when i find people who’ve been for many years into the medium reason is of course to find series that need more time to search for them ect, or people with similar taste. As long as people are friendly is nice to have a place to meet.
May 4, 2023 8:59 AM

May 2012
what I don't get is how people can like something so bad

they must've had lost something eww
if you want good story, read novel. if you want good graphic, read manga. anime is beyond that.
May 4, 2023 10:43 AM

Aug 2022
when your taste is objectively correct, you have no reason to feel ashamed of it. simple as.

"86 part one is far better than part two and one of the most masterfully told stories i have ever seen" -bocchi 'the rock' johnson

real quote. she said it not me
May 4, 2023 11:37 AM

Nov 2014
There isn't such a thing as good taste or bad taste. Those labels are used by people that only live inside their heads and want to feel superior to others. You like what you like and you don't need to feel diminished.
May 4, 2023 11:54 AM

Apr 2023
my list is empty so i it will never be known anyway
May 4, 2023 11:54 AM

Mar 2023
I would say my taste is neither good or bad. I like whatever thats entertains me.
May 4, 2023 11:55 AM

Feb 2016
I like my taste but I don't really care what others think about my tastes are. 
May 4, 2023 12:03 PM

Dec 2015
I watch everything so i have no real problem finding something new to watch.
And i think my taste is superior to most people in the Anime community, the answer to why is because i can enjoy everything and i don't have a  bunch of rules in my head as most people in this group + whole c ommunity has.

if people was a open as i was to everything it would never be any cancer post or cancer review or cancer review bombing or drama.

May 4, 2023 12:05 PM

Jan 2021
Pin on Anime + Characters

Only the finest of anime belong on my list.

Invented strawman says, "Why do you have Hyperdimension Neptunia the Anime on your list"

It is unspeakably trashy, but that is fine in its own way

Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
May 4, 2023 12:07 PM

Apr 2022
I value my own preferences, but I'm somewhat influenced by others.
May 4, 2023 12:07 PM

Jan 2008
I like what I like and I'll continue to watch as such.
And if I don't like something I'm not going to let others shame me into it (looking at you aot and ecchi lovers) 
May 4, 2023 12:49 PM

May 2016
maybe there was a time when i did but not anymore, if anything, wish i enjoyed anime as much as when i started out and everything was cool and exciting
May 4, 2023 5:02 PM

Mar 2020
KayKimii said:
It's tough being a Fairy Tail fan...
Fairy Tail was also what I thought of after reading the title LMAO. I can't even defend myself on this one I just like it. Sorry guys
In the end, all girls are like the rose bride
May 4, 2023 5:25 PM

Nov 2021
I don't really care I just watch what I want to watch.
May 4, 2023 5:30 PM

Mar 2021
I don't care man
I am watching "acclaimed" show like bebop and "trashy" show like panty-stocking at the same time and nobody can do anything about it
May 4, 2023 5:38 PM

Oct 2016
The most important thing is whether you enjoy the show or not. No point forcing yourself to watch stuff you hate 
Humans only live for a hundred years, it is as unreal as a dream that ends in an instant. What is the point of a person living in this world? No more than just being on a journey, and witnessing interesting things. Although I do not want to die, I do not fear death. I am already on my right path, I have no regrets even if I die.

— Fang Yuan (Reverend Insanity)
May 4, 2023 5:52 PM
Jul 2022
With my case, people often make fun of me for shows I dislike lol. I don't mind though, I like my taste.
May 4, 2023 6:20 PM
Mar 2017
Nope. Watching good and bad makes things more interesting. I don't mind watching slice of life/CGDCT shows or whatever else outside those. But usually the ones outside those are sequels to the variety period of watching anything when getting into anime.

Then again I get my look at anime/manga from recommendations when searching for other series randomly in MAL or manga apps, particular word searching of random words for titles. Those are my two methods for Manga.

For anime well it's just whatever seems interesting in the seasonal charts. Old or new but usually new and if I get around to them later then that's that.

To see what dynamics work or don't for story telling, what artstyles.

Whether I like some train wrecks. Niche shows.

Under surface level but still popular (aka not mainstream) shows. It keeps things more interesting then the usual.

I'll gladly look for trashy Hentai or some good Hentai just as much as some good, bad, in-between or gem Anime or Manga.
Suntanned_Duck2May 4, 2023 6:25 PM
May 4, 2023 6:26 PM

Jul 2021
KanekiKen523 said:
Sometimes I have a good taste, but sometimes, I have a taste that makes me feel inferior to other fans, which makes me wonder if I'm controversial for liking anime I know are bad, but I still watch anyway, which I somehow always end up doing. Do you mind your taste in anime and are you okay with liking lowly rated shows, cause I sure don't know why do am I keep liking and watching these shows to begin with which makes me feel frowned upon by others. Does having such a taste make you look superior or inferior to others? Has someone insulted you for liking a certain anime they know is bad? 
I kinda understand the issue you're describing, it's called peer pressure. Everyone falls for it, one way or the other. I've met entire groups of people who like a certain show just to avoid upsetting one member of said group. Peer pressure is extremely powerful and it can persist even after you lose the reason to like something.
Although to me it'se even worse than that because I have plenty other reasons to doubt myself. For instance do I actually like a certain show or am I just being easily impressed by cheap narratives designed to score points on my kind of person? That's a question I ask myself quite often.

I know everything I'm about to say will sound shallow, but my personal "answer" on how to deal with these issues is to try my best to understand myself, keep in mind what might affect my opinions and then decide whether I wanna try to break free from this influence or not.
I don't win any prize for having conventionally good taste, nor do other people care about what I like. And this is true for basically anyone that's not a manipulative narcisist. So, in the end the only reason to care about our own tastes is to avoid self inflicting any pain.
To put this in an analogy: if the girl you like says she likes yoghurt, you should probably think about whether you like it too before ending up spending the rest of your life eating something you don't just to cherish some indirect connection you share with her or whatever.
However, if sacrificing this tiny bit of your identity is worth it then it's also perfectly fine to keep eating yoghurt until the end of times.
May 4, 2023 6:26 PM
Jul 2018
Obviously not. I mean, a lot of people on this site frown upon popular anime, shounen, and anything that has fanservice/ ecchi. But I don't mind displaying those type of shows in my favorites.
May 4, 2023 6:38 PM

Feb 2021
No I don't care at all, I always seek to take the most amount of enjoyment possible for every anime regardless of genre. 

I feel bad for those that watch anything through the eyes of a critic, it just seems to me that they hardly ever get to enjoy the stuff they watch. 
May 4, 2023 6:58 PM

May 2013
Yea. I don't have enough time in my day to just watch stuff at random.
May 4, 2023 6:59 PM

Jun 2020
I have always been of the mind that taste is a very personal thing. It's an entirely subjective thing, so worrying about what your taste is by anyone else's standards is not a practice that I encourage. I know exactly what you mean though, one look at my lists and ratings and you will see decently high ratings for some pretty panned anime. Anybody who will criticize you for liking what you like is not someone I wish to associate with anyway. Most normal, well adjusted people have the capability to respect the opinions and decisions of others. How boring would the world be if we all had the exact same views on what is considered good and what isn't?
May 4, 2023 7:01 PM

Nov 2021
i get that feeling, but honestly just do you. i dont agree with all your favorites, but i do like some of them, and honestly as long as youre enjoying what you enjoy, thats good :)
if i had a flower for every time i think of you, i could walk in my garden forever.
May 4, 2023 7:03 PM

Aug 2018

With a stellar lineup like this there's just no room for doubt.
May 5, 2023 4:41 AM
Apr 2021
I don’t create about taste I’ll watch anything if I find it interesting 
May 5, 2023 5:08 AM

Apr 2016
I have impeccable taste, so I've got nothing to worry about. XD

But seriously, who the fuck cares? It's your taste, why give a rat's ass about what others think of your taste?
May 5, 2023 5:48 AM

Aug 2020
I don't really care, I like my taste. And I think it is good, and you should be proud of yours as well.

May 5, 2023 6:04 AM

Mar 2021
No because this is supposed to be entertainment, if I think too much about what I should like and what I shouldn't, it will take the fun out of it.
May 5, 2023 6:09 AM

Sep 2010
I think it's mostly funny if someone judges me based on my favorite anime or even brings it up in a discussion. I don't see it as offensive or anything and also often joke about it. I like what I like and I dislike what I dislike, no much thought about it.
May 5, 2023 6:14 AM

Aug 2020
Yes i do care about my taste.

Yes my taste IS good.

Yes i'm okay with liking low-rated shows so no you shouldn't feel frowned upon by others the same way i'm not ashamed to say that Fire Force > Vinland Saga.

No having such taste doesn't make me superior nor inferior to others.
May 5, 2023 6:27 AM

Apr 2022
Well it's always nice when people think you have good taste and a bit sad when they think some stuff you love is shit but besides that i dont care i'm just happy to like what i like.

Tifa Lockhart (FFVII) - Forum Signature by craftyaegis on DeviantArt

May 6, 2023 7:36 AM

Jun 2020
Sometimes. At the end it's still questionable what makes someone taste in anime is good and vice versa.
May 6, 2023 8:29 AM

Nov 2019
Well, I don't really see anything on your list that would be bad, or something. Nothing out of ordinary, just well known stuff almost every experienced anime watcher had seen. So you have no reason to feel like that, watching anime is just a hobby for most of us, everyone has a life and couldn't care less about what someone else watches. I'd recommend you read some manga tho, there are a lot of good ones out there.
To be honest, sometimes I purposely watch anime that I know would not be that good, because I want to see how bad it can get or who knows, it may be surprisingly good too. I also downrate some of the "masterpieces" if I don't enjoy them. This is all part of my taste which is of course good, because I like it. Why would I care if someone thinks it's bad? xD
May 6, 2023 9:28 AM

Sep 2016
No. I'm not comparing my tastes in anime to anyone else.
I watch what seems interesting to me. I'm not watching anime to please others.

If you're watching anime primarily based on what other's opinions might be if you watched it, then are you really enjoying the anime you watch or are you enjoying the feedback you get from others?

You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9126 by Tatsugaia88 »»
2 minutes ago

» Would you quit Anime if Anime caters to the West?

Dragevard - Jun 15

47 by SwordBreaker36 »»
12 minutes ago

» Which character deserves a boycott?

SgtBateMan - Yesterday

14 by BlueMaho »»
18 minutes ago

» Do you have animes you've rated 5 and under on your completed list, why? ( 1 2 )

melodyily - Jun 15

77 by therealnagora »»
23 minutes ago

» What's your favorite anime OST?

Gashadokur0 - Jun 15

41 by Alriven »»
51 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.