Forum Settings
Forums

If Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Sopranos, Band of Brothers, Chernobyl, True Detective, Mr. Robot, Twin Peaks, Mad Men, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Gravity Falls, Arcane, Over the Garden Wall, Batman The Animated Series, and BoJack Horseman all became anime

New
May 18, 2022 6:46 PM

Jul 2020
Would they still be good?

For me, yes since all of them are masterpieces, so it’s really easy to make all of them good if they became anime.

It's hard to win an argument against smart people, but impossible to win an argument against dumb ones.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 18, 2022 6:57 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
If you mix them all up and make an anime, you will get the anime version of the X-Files.

May 18, 2022 6:59 PM
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
I wont they gonna be good without spongebob since all show just mid except spongebob the one

May 18, 2022 7:01 PM
Mar 2017
Depends on what they do.

I mean Batman Ninja exists, others may or may not have that anime like silliness or seriousness and quirk to them the same way BoJack does or the more kid/teen aimed cartoons you listed (I haven't seen any of them, only know of the names but I assume their praise means something) others probably may be the same possibly.

No clue about most crime/mystery (not really my area but others can tell) anime but I assume they may be similar to the others you have listed.

I mean even the Halo or Star Wars original adaptations had each studio show what their take on those universes were like so you can kind of take away from those how they go about things seriously (none of the anime quirkiness) from different perspectives.

Even the Wither anime (whatever it pulls from the books or games) you can tell what a Witcher anime would be like even for what it tries to adapt. I don't know a lot about the Witcher series but I think it was a fine adaptation and gave me the general idea.

The Mass Effect one was bad because they had to take it from one of the most generic characters. For a average watch of action scenes and I guess kind of what was going on in Mass Effect 3 sure but otherwise was pretty pathetic.

I haven't seen the Dragon Age one yet though so may it's better but hoping so as I think it has a far better universe to make a good fantasy movie but I don't have my hopes that high.

But I'd say from those examples it's possible to kind of guess but otherwise it's up in the air.
Suntanned_Duck2May 18, 2022 7:08 PM
May 18, 2022 7:06 PM

Jul 2007
ISeeLifePeople said:
I wont they gonna be good without spongebob since all show just mid except spongebob the one

spongebob sucks man 1/10 will never watch ever again.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

May 18, 2022 7:11 PM

Oct 2018
'Avatar: The Last Airbender, Gravity Falls, Arcane, Over the Garden Wall, Batman The Animated Series, and BoJack Horseman'

Those are anime, bro
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
May 18, 2022 7:39 PM

Oct 2013
Its the return of listing off randomly picked shows for one long ass title. Gravity Falls would probably be worse as an anime and Avatar would probably be exactly the same. I mean hell, it already has a similar artstyle and it had at least one beach episode I can remember. Ah yes...the episode that really made me love Ty Lee...The only way it could possibly be more anime is if it had MORE fanservice.
FanofActionMay 18, 2022 7:44 PM
May 18, 2022 7:49 PM

Jul 2021
All mid so nofing much wuld change 🥱

May 18, 2022 7:51 PM
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
EndlessMaria said:
ISeeLifePeople said:

Why ? It can be enjoyed by everyone withtout age barrier, right ?

May 18, 2022 7:53 PM

Jul 2007
ISeeLifePeople said:
EndlessMaria said:

The jokes in it just aren't funny to me. It is mostly reactionary humor.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

May 18, 2022 8:22 PM

Jul 2011
EndlessMaria said:
ISeeLifePeople said:

The jokes in it just aren't funny to me. It is mostly reactionary humor.

That's fine. Humor is subjective after all.
May 18, 2022 9:04 PM

Nov 2016
SpongeBob was funny.

you are my starlight you are my sunshine
May 18, 2022 9:09 PM

Mar 2022
EndlessMaria said:
ISeeLifePeople said:

Unforgiveable take. Spongebob is a work of art
May 18, 2022 11:42 PM

May 2018
"If Breaking Bad, The Wire, The Sopranos, Band of Brothers, Chernobyl, True Detective, Mr. Robot, Twin Peaks, Mad Men, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Gravity Falls, Arcane, Over the Garden Wall, Batman The Animated Series, and BoJack Horseman all became anime"

1. Naaah, I am only interested in Lost as anime.
2. The anime of RWBY will demonstrate if a cheesy trashy western media property can be ameliorated to something decent by japanese artists.
3. "For me, yes since all of them are masterpieces" - BoJack Horseman being a masterpiece? Seriously, what's wrong with the OP?
May 18, 2022 11:50 PM
Jan 2021
No. Some medium just doesn't translate into anime form. I can see something like Avatar being an anime and still working, but definitely not Breaking Bad, lol.
TO EXCEL IS TO FAIL
May 19, 2022 1:00 AM

Mar 2015
Only if you give all the men in Breaking Bad cat ears.
May 19, 2022 1:04 AM

May 2018
Mirai said:
Only if you give all the men in Breaking Bad cat ears.

How about fox ears?
Personally I prefer foxes before cats.
May 19, 2022 1:12 AM

Jun 2020
I would probably watch way less anime than I do now, ig....
May 19, 2022 1:20 AM

Feb 2021
Dude sat down and proceeded to type all of these out. Could've just said "shows like these"

May 19, 2022 1:37 AM

Jul 2021
Didn't you mention a few anime within that list? I'm pretty sure atla, gravity falls, arcane, batman and bojack are.
Heck I'm positive atla and arcane even have jp va
May 19, 2022 2:27 AM

Dec 2015
Well not knowing/remembering all of them but I guess Chernobyl as a Drama/SoL/Mystery and Band of Brothers as Drama/Action/Shounen would be great -> Arcane in Japan is an anime (if I remember correctly they call "anime" every animation unless I am mistaken) so it would be similar (or just switch on Japanese dub so you'd have you're anime x) ). As I am sure for most of them, I have no idea if Arcane would be better/equal with typical japanese animation.
May 19, 2022 3:23 AM
Jul 2018
alshu said:
"For me, yes since all of them are masterpieces" - BoJack Horseman being a masterpiece? Seriously, what's wrong with the OP?
You say this as if BoJack Horseman isn't one of the most critically acclaimed animated shows of all time lol
May 19, 2022 3:30 AM

Jun 2012
Something like The Sopranos requires subtlety which I don't think anime could pull off. There would be a very obvious "look at this" closeup of his facial expression and then probably a monologue for all of Tony's inner thoughts.
Shoot first, think never.
May 19, 2022 3:35 AM

May 2018
sewerslider said:
You say this as if BoJack Horseman isn't one of the most critically acclaimed animated shows of all time lol

critically acclaimed = the studio paid a bunch of money to certain columnists and influencers and the rest of the "critics" followed suit pretending they got how deep the show [supposedly] is...

Like it's a standard over the top melodrama, an ugly looking one.
May 19, 2022 3:52 AM
Jul 2018
alshu said:
sewerslider said:

critically acclaimed = the studio paid a bunch of money to certain columnists and influencers and the rest of the "critics" followed suit pretending they got how deep the show [supposedly] is...

Like it's a standard over the top melodrama, an ugly looking one.
It's not just "critics" that love BoJack Horseman though, it's very highly regarded amongst non-critics/general audiences as well if you check sites like imdb, Metacritic, and Rotten Tomatoes. It's fine if you have a negative opinion on the show, but there's no reason to act shocked when someone thinks it's a masterpiece lol. That would be like if I acted flabbergasted because someone said Bunny Girl Senpai is a masterpiece
removed-userMay 19, 2022 3:55 AM
May 19, 2022 4:31 AM
Feb 2019
I believe the choice of what way you portray them matters. Even if they become anime, it doesn't guarantee high quality animation. Not to mention that quite a bit of the anime today is long commercials for the manga or LN, so that may also happen.

I would be wary because of such projects because it isn't unusual for some studios to bungle the story of the source material they are working with, or the anime medium does not fit the tone and humor of the work in question.

My thoughts are generally; be careful what you wish for.
May 19, 2022 4:39 AM

May 2018
sewerslider said:
It's not just "critics" that love BoJack Horseman though, it's very highly regarded amongst non-critics/general audiences

See "followed suit pretending they got how deep the show [supposedly] is".

sewerslider said:
imdb, Metacritic, and Rotten Tomatoes

Like those aren't influenced by "followed suit pretending they got how deep the show [supposedly] is"?

sewerslider said:
but there's no reason to act shocked when someone thinks it's a masterpiece

I am not shocked, I am saddened from SmashBlack's opinion about what is masterpiece.

sewerslider said:
That would be like if I acted flabbergasted because someone said Bunny Girl Senpai is a masterpiece

But I wouldn't comment on you doing so.
May 19, 2022 4:48 AM
Aug 2018
avatar the last airbender is already anime
May 19, 2022 5:28 AM

Jul 2021
When they did a shitty job with the writing, we got Batman Ninja.
When they missed all characters, we got Wolverine.

If the writing were as good, if the characters were as good, if the setting was as good, if the tone were as fitting as the original, if the animation and aesthetics conveyed what the original visual, acting and direction conveyed, if the production value were equivalent,.. yes, of course it would be a good anime.

It would be different though, different medium has different strengths and weaknesses, some would be more impactful and others would be weaker.

May 19, 2022 7:15 AM

Sep 2020
i would waste all of my time to marathon breaking bad anime.
May 19, 2022 8:15 AM

Oct 2010
we already have a twin peaks anime, like a lot
May 19, 2022 11:07 AM

Feb 2016
Catalano said:

What anime are those twin peaks from?
その目だれの目?
May 19, 2022 11:32 AM

Jul 2011
Lucifrost said:
Catalano said:

What anime are those twin peaks from?

A reverse image search reveals that it is Occultic;Nine
May 19, 2022 11:52 AM

May 2018
I didn't get what connection is between those random shows you listed. Wym "still be good"? At least half of them are already bad.
Nobody asked about your favorites lol.
Nemo_NiemandMay 19, 2022 11:59 AM

May 19, 2022 11:54 AM
Jul 2018
I don't get how these series are actually considered decent in the first place. And changing the medium isn't going to help it, probably.
May 19, 2022 12:30 PM

Apr 2022
Avatar and Batman are already very similar to anime in many ways so making them anime wouldn’t change much. Avatar feels like your typical anime action series that isn’t a battle shonen. If you’ve watched Fma brotherhood for instance, you know that there are various similarities between it and Avatar. Batman the animated series is very heavily inspired by 90s anime and has that retro anime feel to it. It’s basically just a big budget 90s anime if you think about it.

Everything else would just be worse off because they can only be done well through the medium they were designed for. Breaking Bad only works as a live action series as many of the pivotal moments in it cannot be recreated well using animation.
May 19, 2022 1:17 PM

Jul 2020
Nemo_Niemand said:
I didn't get what connection is between those random shows you listed. Wym "still be good"? At least half of them are already bad.
Nobody asked about your favorites lol.
If you think half of them are bad, than it’s pretty obvious you’ve never watched them at all before.

It's hard to win an argument against smart people, but impossible to win an argument against dumb ones.
May 19, 2022 1:19 PM

Jul 2020
lillianny said:
I don't get how these series are actually considered decent in the first place. And changing the medium isn't going to help it, probably.
Bruh, how are they bad? All of them are masterpieces with great stories and characters.

May 19, 2022 1:34 PM

Jul 2019
SmashBlack said:
lillianny said:
Bruh, how are they bad? All of them are masterpieces with great stories and characters.
You have to elaborate on that one chief.
May 19, 2022 1:50 PM

Apr 2015
At least 1/3 would get weird panty shots inserted, so I am going to go with worse.
May 19, 2022 1:52 PM

Aug 2018
Tylaen said:
At least 1/3 would get weird panty shots inserted, so I am going to go with worse.

Breaking bad already has plenty of weird panty shots

May 19, 2022 1:56 PM

Apr 2015
epidemia78 said:
Tylaen said:

Breaking bad already has plenty of weird panty shots

[img]http://designerswap.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/esq-walter-white-underwear-092013-xlg-e1383794966463.jpg/img]
For starters, Epi. Those are not panties, those are tighty-whities.

You are also violating the spirit of the answer but yes, it was very funny.
May 19, 2022 1:59 PM

May 2018
SmashBlack said:
If you think half of them are bad, than it’s pretty obvious you’ve never watched them at all before.
SmashBlack said:

Look what we have here. A main hero syndrome. Seems like someone should grow up and realize that the world doesn't revolve around him.
I see that you are still an edgy inexperienced teenager who exaggerates his own importance, but come on, you shouldn't speak for other people and you shouldn't make false statements. Your opinion is only your opinion. Not everyone agrees with it and nobody actually cares.
So, please, elaborate what you say and provide meaningful discussion.
Nemo_NiemandMay 19, 2022 2:16 PM

May 19, 2022 2:15 PM

Mar 2021
perhaps. but none of them would hold a candle to the masterpiece that is...

...nekopara. HA. you thought i was gonna say your mom's sex - *USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST*
May 19, 2022 2:16 PM

Oct 2011
If Avatar the last airbender became a real anime and not a fake anime then I'd probably actually watch it.
May 19, 2022 2:20 PM

Apr 2017
Arcane would become significantly worse, one of its biggest selling points is fortiche's visuals that perfectly line up with the art direction of the game. I don't think there is a single studio in japan that can even make a sidegrade. Even if one can it would probably look very off-brand from leagues art direction
PFP source: Pixiv/Twitter
May 19, 2022 5:11 PM

Oct 2017
Why would it be worse if it's accurate to the source material? I would love an anime version of Band of Brothers one of my favourite TV shows ever.
Jun 30, 2022 4:10 AM

Jul 2020
Nemo_Niemand said:
SmashBlack said:
SmashBlack said:

Look what we have here. A main hero syndrome. Seems like someone should grow up and realize that the world doesn't revolve around him.
I see that you are still an edgy inexperienced teenager who exaggerates his own importance, but come on, you shouldn't speak for other people and you shouldn't make false statements. Your opinion is only your opinion. Not everyone agrees with it and nobody actually cares.
So, please, elaborate what you say and provide meaningful discussion.
Bruh, did you seriously just avoid answering my question by moving on to a new topic? That’s honestly lame so I’ll ask again. What are the half of the series you consider to be bad and why do you think they’re bad in the first place?

Jun 30, 2022 4:31 AM
Apr 2022
I don't want them to be anime. It won't be the same.
Imagine Breaking bad be all Kawaiified.
Jun 30, 2022 6:26 AM
Jul 2018
I do hope you have seen all of these.

Anyways, I think some of them would lose their emotional power, but they'd probably still be good from a story standpoint.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film.

Old_School_Akira - 6 hours ago

33 by billybub »»
3 minutes ago

» Why do you dislike historical anime? ( 1 2 )

perseii - Jun 8

52 by Alpha-Nine »»
19 minutes ago

» What anime you think was carried by a single character?

Shizuna - Today

48 by Archean-Return »»
34 minutes ago

» What Anime has the most genres & themes on MAL?

Zarutaku - 7 hours ago

3 by LenRea »»
2 hours ago

» Is it still cool to hate moe? ( 1 2 3 )

Ahegyao - Mar 25, 2021

104 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.