Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 29, 2022 6:53 PM
Jul 2018
I play on braindead Easy/Story mode, as every game now has RPG elements, making them more about time investment than skill.

I especially like JRPGs, as they're about the story. I cruise through the gameplay, enjoying the dialogue and cutscene more than the action.

Is it stupid to play games just for story when there are better storytelling mediums, such as films and books, which are also a lot cheaper?
Apr 29, 2022 7:04 PM

Oct 2017
No I don't think it's wrong going through a game just for the story. I also get that some people dislike when a game is unnecessarily hard which is why easy difficulty options exist to begin with.
I think there are some games where playing them just for the story is the whole point, Metal gear being one of them.

However if you really don't care about fights and other gameplay options, shouldn't you be better off playing Visual Novels instead?
I know most RPGs have great stories specially the Final Fantasy and Legend of Heroes sagas but when it comes to the genre as a whole Visual Novels are much richer in terms of writing and pacing (as RPGs tend to speed things up to not bore the player).

Just saying, there's nothing wrong with what you are doing but I think you should try some Visual Novels out if you want a compelling story.

Apr 29, 2022 7:07 PM
Jul 2018
NothingFound said:
No I don't think it's wrong going through a game just for the story. I also get that some people dislike when a game is unnecessarily hard which is why easy difficulty options exist to begin with.
I think there are some games where playing them just for the story is the whole point, Metal gear being one of them.

However if you really don't care about fights and other gameplay options, shouldn't you be better off playing Visual Novels instead?
I know most RPGs have great stories specially the Final Fantasy and Legend of Heroes sagas but when it comes to the genre as a whole Visual Novels are much richer in terms of writing and pacing (as RPGs tend to speed things up to not bore the player).

Just saying, there's nothing wrong with what you are doing but I think you should try some Visual Novels out if you want a compelling story.

Yes, I plan to try visual novels eventually, though they're harder to find in USA.
Apr 29, 2022 7:52 PM

Feb 2016
Treeskyview said:
Is it stupid to play games just for story when there are better storytelling mediums, such as films and books, which are also a lot cheaper?

No, but it is stupid to play JRPGs when they have worse stories on average than visual novels.
I saw your response to NothingFound. I still wanted to answer the question my own way.
その目だれの目?
Apr 29, 2022 8:36 PM

Jan 2020
Pretty much all of the games I play are for the sake of story. I don't particularly like playing competitively, especially when it's just stuff that drops numerous characters onto a single map and then you run around trying to kill each other. I like starting from scratch and progressing through a story as my character on screen grows. I just find that more satisfying than a book or movie. Especially if it's something that allows you to make your own choices.

I don't think there is a particularly right or wrong way to enjoy a story. If you enjoy playing a game for a story then you should do that. It's not stupid.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Apr 30, 2022 12:42 AM

Oct 2020
Not really.
Imo the story is what makes half a game, great.
I mean my favorite series is final fantasy, and i fell in love with the series thanks to the story of ff6
Apr 30, 2022 1:25 AM

Jan 2022
I totally understand where you're coming from with just wanting a good story.
I did this with NeiR: Automata. The combat itself is flashy at first but gets kind of tedious and repetitive after a while with a serious lack of enemy variety. It was still fun but I found myself wanting to get through a sizable number of the battles as quickly as possible. The story and exploration are the best part of that game anyway and watching cutscenes on Youtube just isn't the same.

I had similar feelings with the most recent God of War and also played that on easy mode. I'm generally more of a FPS kind of guy anyway, so if I play an RPG it's because I liked the story and the setting, not the specific gameplay.
-insert NGE meme here-
Apr 30, 2022 1:23 PM
Jul 2018
Nah it's fine. You should try visual novels though.
Some good ones:

Nobody can really judge your for how you play games. After all, as long as you're enjoying yourself, it's justified.
Apr 30, 2022 3:12 PM

May 2013
You do you.

Dont let anybody tell you there is a correct way to play games.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Apr 30, 2022 3:18 PM
Jul 2018
SynapticBlast said:
Some good ones:

Nobody can really judge your for how you play games. After all, as long as you're enjoying yourself, it's justified.

What about Doki Doki Literature Club? It comes with stickers!
May 1, 2022 5:58 AM

Aug 2015
Treeskyview said:
SynapticBlast said:
Some good ones:

What about Doki Doki Literature Club? It comes with stickers!

I literally just finished DDLC this morning. Highly recommended, but just know that some consider parts of that game intense/unsuitable for some. I don't play a ton of VN, but I also really enjoyed Root Letter.
"More than the cherry blossoms,
Inviting a wind to blow them away,
I am wondering what to do,
With the remaining springtime."

-Asano Naganori
May 2, 2022 11:59 PM

May 2022
Lucifrost said:
Treeskyview said:

No, but it is stupid to play JRPGs when they have worse stories on average than visual novels.
I saw your response to NothingFound. I still wanted to answer the question my own way.

uhhh I mean, some jpg's are cool, like persona 5 and Final fantasy but others are ehhh.
May 3, 2022 10:15 AM

Feb 2016
@DarkSoulz90
Even JRPGs that are praised for their stories don't usually have very good stories. It's why there are no successful anime based on JRPGs. Remove the gameplay from a game, and nobody will like what remains.
その目だれの目?
May 3, 2022 12:34 PM

Aug 2018
No, I don't think so. If you want to enjoy it for the story go on. Its only stupid if you tell yourself and others so don't worry :)
May 3, 2022 8:47 PM

Jul 2021
Definitely not stupid to do what you enjoy. Do what you want, especially when it comes to video games.

I will say that most video game stories are mostly not as good as what you would find in other mediums.
May 3, 2022 10:31 PM

Sep 2014
To each their own. I personally am quite the opposite, not what I play games for and in most games just skip. That's why I didn't enjoy FFXIV for example, I think it's popularity is mainly due to story, and without caring for it the game was not that fun. Though I may revisit it if I ever feel like reading and listening instead of focusing on gameplay.
May 3, 2022 11:20 PM
Jul 2018
barsoapguy219 said:
I will say that most video game stories are mostly not as good as what you would find in other mediums.

See, trying to make subjective things like that sound objective is why I feel insecure about playing games just for story.
May 3, 2022 11:58 PM

Aug 2015
Treeskyview said:
barsoapguy219 said:

See, trying to make subjective things like that sound objective is why I feel insecure about playing games just for story.

There are plenty of games with amazing stories. People claiming otherwise are stuck somewhere in the distant past or they just haven't been playing the right genres. If I'm playing a game, I want good story. If it doesn't, then its not worth my time unless its a mindless multiplayer game I'm playing with friends.
"More than the cherry blossoms,
Inviting a wind to blow them away,
I am wondering what to do,
With the remaining springtime."

-Asano Naganori
May 4, 2022 12:35 AM

May 2022
Lucifrost said:
@DarkSoulz90
Even JRPGs that are praised for their stories don't usually have very good stories. It's why there are no successful anime based on JRPGs. Remove the gameplay from a game, and nobody will like what remains.

yeah true, I wish there were more good JRPG's with good story and stuff.
May 4, 2022 2:29 AM

Jan 2022
You shouldn't feel insecure about the way you choose to play games lol. Games are meant for entertainment. Don't forget that. If you like playing games on baby mode just for the story or to destroy mobs and feel op the whole time, that's totally fine. Don't let some random bums dictate terms to you. I personally love playing challenging game modes, but I wouldn't shame people that feel differently about that sort of content. So yeah, the only thing that matters is you having fun.
May 4, 2022 2:32 AM
May 2009
Treeskyview said:
I play on braindead Easy/Story mode, as every game now has RPG elements, making them more about time investment than skill.

I especially like JRPGs, as they're about the story. I cruise through the gameplay, enjoying the dialogue and cutscene more than the action.

I enjoy it. its great to just be able to play a game for story rather than be forced to grinded for days.

Its great when gameplay isn't about bullet or damage sponges.
May 8, 2022 2:15 PM

Oct 2013
I don't think every recent game has that issue, but I get where you're coming from. Rpgs in general can be a pretty sizable time sink and adding rpg elements can make certain games feel like more of a slog depending on how its implemented. Personally, I don't see an issue with lowering the difficulty for games you want to play, but don't want to sink a whole lot of time into it.

Honestly, despite what fans of certain series might say, I wouldn't see a problem with every game having a difficulty setting. Not only would it get more people interested in buying, but there's also absolutely no one forcing the people who still want a challenge to use the lower difficulties, so I really don't get why some people are against it. Its not like what people do in a single payer campaign has any impact on anyone else. The only real loss is that feeling of exclusivity you'd get from playing a hard game not everyone can get into. I mean, adding a difficulty setting would benefit them too, for games that can be considered "too easy".

Also,as a random sidenote, I actually looked into approximately how long all of my games would take on one playthrough...None of them even came close to the longest game I own, which is apparently Persona 5 Royal.
FanofActionMay 8, 2022 2:21 PM
May 8, 2022 2:36 PM

Aug 2018
I am kinda on the fence about this one. Yeah, JRPGs are all about the story but it's not as if they can't be fun to play as well. Even though it's combat systems are basic as can be, there's something fun about the Dragon Quest series. I can't quite put my finger on it. Guess those games are just masterfully designed.

Sometimes the gameplay in jrps are so dull that no amount of good story can make it feel worth it. Tried to replay Lunar: SSS a while back and even though I have fond memories of the characters and story...actually playing the game? just way too boring.

Story-driven western games are where I put my foot down. They almost always suck. Honestly what the hell is so great about Mass Effect? Is it actually fun to choose options from dialog? No. No its not. And then you have stuff like Uncharted which barely even qualifies as a game. It's just a damn movie that sometimes you have minimal control over.
May 19, 2022 4:12 PM

Jan 2018
It's more fun that way. sometimes if you're not an avid reader it might feel a bit challenging going through the wall of text in visual novel. like you said, braindead gaming is easier you wouldn't realize how much time have passed so it's easy and fun to get into it.

though you might not get much enjoyment in average titles if you start playing all the great titles first like final fantasy series.
May 19, 2022 4:21 PM

Sep 2018
Playing games for the story is ok, but if the gameplay is too bad just drop it. I had this problem with Persona 2 Innocent Sin. Great story with atrocious easy grindy gameplay.
May 19, 2022 4:51 PM

Feb 2016
rohan121 said:
I had this problem with Persona 2 Innocent Sin. Great story with atrocious easy grindy gameplay.

Persona 2 has a lame story. I didn't even bother to watch the ending online after I tired of the gameplay. I don't like Persona 4 much either, but its story and gameplay are both better.
その目だれの目?
May 19, 2022 5:02 PM
Mar 2017
I only play games for the gameplay. The story and world can be a factor but if the controls/mechanics aren't interesting I don't care. If a visual novel that's a different story though it has to have convincing art/story to make me care about those and want to sit for hours reading when I'm in the mood to read tons of text.

RPGs and VNs with chocies make me more invested to not sir with subtitles and ignore the characters, voice and music and play for the game mechanics or I know the mechanics aren't my thing so I never pick the game up to begin with. I don't play long games usually but respect the good ones with storyand mechanic effort out in than long hours and generic things out in and padding it to pad it with tons to do but the impact isn't there for me. I love racing games for the multiple characters, each upgrade is a choice for my characters, I craft my own story. They are my RPGs for their varied options and correct use of restrictions where it counts to use characters, not over upgrade as the class level is a important restriction. Think of it an RPG if you had an arena with restrictions like tanks only as class, no swords (meaning you could use a axe, bow or whatever but not swords), no magic spells, mana/stamina/passive ability related is limited to 1000 instead of 500 or 1 time use of passive abilities per round, elven race only, light armour only. Which in racing games that would be sportscars only, cars under 500 horsepower, under 1000kg, only cars from Japan, 4WDs only, cars must be stock not upgraded or tuned. Stuff like that.

Same with anime I care for the story but do enjoy the animation/art as it is that type of medium. If a game wants to have realistic visuals I couldn't care less. I mean sure it's cool they recreated something but eh not my thing. I do appreciate games with story choices but most suck. Dragon Age (I assume Disco Elysium or other old school RPGs with the strong DND inspiration) I've heard had choices that mattered with enough reasons backed up when told to me that I can see reason in it.

Most games have a 'hear more about this' or so option besides 'get on with the quest' but nothing that has multiple endings or decisions that effect the way the NPCs in the kingdom see you. I mean Fable 3 made it clear that you can't save everyone to pay off all debts and even if people hate that game that part of the game made sense for a good/bad ending set of choices. Visual Novels good and bad endings which is also a reason I enjoy them is having the realisation I messed up.

The choices may or may not be clear what they are saying and I'm fine getting a game over with a bad ending not only taking damage as the only form of losing in a game. When missions are too tight for their requirements though then yeah there needs to be a bit of breathing room there or lessened restrictions for a time limit or something.

To me JRPGs are either for the gameplay spins on things or because it's got anime quirk to it otherwise don't really care about much else. Same with music lyrics can be in there but if it doesn't have a good gimmick to use the sound samples/instruments I couldn't care less and most lyrics aren't interesting to me anyway just like many messages (usually repetitive ones) in other forms of media.

I play different genres because I want the variety of gameplay ideas and feeling controls. A story based on a war, a disaster, a bond between characters, a party on an adventure, avenging someone or whatever only gets me so far before I stop caring and heard it all before (some exceptions can exist of course with good spins on these or something outside these types of stories) so I ignore the dialogue and music and just play the game. I will watch cutscenes still for context of what's going on or to see if the story picks up but most of the time I don't care.

It's why I don't mind playing a puzzle game, racing or platformer to test my skills as I care for the ideas and concepts devs have provided. I just yesterday literally played about 5 different puzzles games for PSP all completely different ideas in them and had a blast. Story and so on can be a sign of substance but to me gameplay is substance. If the techniques in combat or basic mechanics aren't interesting I don't care to play it for the story, world, graphics whatever.

When most RPGs have typical mechanics (or everything wants to be an RPG which also makes it clear I don't want to play them and devs pushing me away from caring to pick up their product) but want to focus on other gimmicks (depending on what the gimmicks are) it's fine but if it's just skill trees and other stuff pushed onto the player then I lose interest as to me I prefer a better system to modify things and skill trees to me haven't been very convincing at handling them compared to other games I've played or a hack n slash having combat based fighting moves I'd rather pull off instead.

For me the little things in some RPGs have interested me like with Tactics games Disagea's Geo Panels being so varied to effect party members and enemies was interesting to me. It made the 'strategy' or the 'tactical focus' being a combat puzzle entertaining. I had to think to solve it based on level, what path I took of maybe two paths or how I throw my 5 out of 10 characters to different platforms whether ranged or melee types. It got me interesting on the level design besides the entertaining characters and silly story. Utawarerumono's combat matters by timing the attack in a QTE like way and I found that a small but nice touch.

To me if I have to deal with tons of NPCs talking I don't care about them, what their task is, or the loot/what I can by in the shops/picked up from a chest (all 3 effecting the other on which you really need) it's just not worth my time so it's why I play Tactics games with the combat focus and while yes there could be more grinding if it's done well I don't mind when it really haults the game then I do find it very annoying and look for levels with XP gaining quickly options besides the cheat menu in Disagea to change values of XP, Money and so on.

I do think difficulties are great when balanced well enough and if people want to play for the story/hate grinding then I agree it should be there for players. I mean when they push it a bit much I forget what's happening, or in an open world when there is side content I don't remember the story (besides that I don't like open world's way of content other than Gravity Rush/Sunset Overdrive's challenge focused side content not just NPC quests).

That and with games that had just simple upgrades they maybe helped a few platformers take the damage you take from enemies down by 1 or 2 and same with the player giving them to the enemy but it gave me fair enough choice to play the game with no upgrades unless they are required runs of games like Scaler the shapeshifting chameleon or the Ratchet PS2 games. I avoided any armour, damage increase to melee and had to be careful.

In Scaler I used the camouflage in combat more to not take hits (and used the more powerful attacks even with less damage), not just required areas alerting enemies that pop out of the ground when you walk on specific areas. It changed the way I think of playing the game just by not using upgrades. Similar to how people play the Ratchet games with only wrench (melee only weapon) runs or how people look at level design in speed runs.

With RPGs the levels scale so much it's impossible and forces skill trees/grinding so they may have choice in what upgrades you apply in whatever order or what quests you hate/want to tackle first or only the amount you need to do to go to the next area but that's about it. I don't do this with all games only the ones I enjoyed/know it's possible to (did similar with only using prize cars runs in racing games too but those always end up with barriers after a while when some are strict rewards others later on have roulettes or in some games events can't be repeated to get the prize).

There is a reason I'll be like 'wow they changed the level design' in a prototype of a game like a platformer as it changes the way you think to use the character. Even something as simple as just moving a platform position, having a moving platform to travel on compared to the islands being more closer together or adding a secret entrance for a collectable is something to me.

That or completely different moves/mechanics (at least in the N64/PS1 or PS2/Xbox/GameCube era when developers experimented more than the more safe focus they have now). Felt that way when the Spyro 1 prototypes were released I watched the Let's Plays for that and was just interested in what they changed.

Sure it was obvious what was unfinished or removed but I was still more excited to see that from a gameplay perspective. Story changes of course can matter but I just don't have the same impression of them.
Suntanned_Duck2Jun 25, 2022 12:27 AM
May 19, 2022 6:50 PM

Mar 2018
No, not at all. I do it all the time.
May 19, 2022 7:03 PM

Dec 2020
Is not stupid, story or gameplay it can go both ways. Just play how you like if the game offers the option or not. No need to look for validation, back in the day you'll get trolled so bad when internet was filled with fake elitists.
May 20, 2022 12:07 AM

Nov 2016
What's your rule of playing?

I got no rules.
May 20, 2022 12:36 AM

Jan 2017
Honestly all RPGs/JRPGs I play I always play on easy and the one exception to this would be souls games since the entire point is of course the difficulty.

For games like Skyrim/Fallout I'll play on normal of course but when it comes to clearly story focused games like JRPGS or games like the Witcher 3 I'm basically there for the story and not a challenge and any challenge ends up feeling like an unnecessary nuisance just to keep the story going.

For second playthroughs I'll jack the difficulty up to make things more interesting but first playthroughs always easy.
May 20, 2022 2:53 AM
Aug 2018
no, playing just for the story isn't stupid.
Jun 9, 2022 8:01 AM

Jul 2020
Lucifrost said:
@DarkSoulz90
Final Fantasy VI, Nier Automata and Replicant, Persona 3-5, Chrono Trigger, Mother 3, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem Three Houses, SoulsBorne games, and 13 Sentinels: Am I a joke to you?

It's hard to win an argument against smart people, but impossible to win an argument against dumb ones.
Jun 9, 2022 9:13 AM

Feb 2016
SmashBlack said:
Lucifrost said:
@DarkSoulz90
Final Fantasy VI, Nier Automata and Replicant, Persona 3-5, Chrono Trigger, Mother 3, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem Three Houses, SoulsBorne games, and 13 Sentinels: Am I a joke to you?

Most of those have bad gameplay that can't be skipped, so I didn't bother to play them.
その目だれの目?
Jun 9, 2022 11:40 AM

Oct 2020
Nothing wrong with just playing for the story.
But if you don't like the gameplay, just watch the cutscenes on yt.
Jun 14, 2022 12:47 AM
Jun 2022
Treeskyview said:

I mostly play games for the story, Such as RDR2 which has an outstanding story. Not a big fan of online gaming
Jun 23, 2022 5:55 PM
Jul 2018
Its definitely not stupid, you're not gonna get the same stories from other mediums, and if you've already tried other mediums but still go to video games, you probably just enjoy them more.

There are a lot of video games that have easy mode just for that reason, or are made only for the sake of story, no reason not to just enjoy it.
Jun 23, 2022 10:34 PM

Mar 2021
If you didn't like the gameplay at all, then yes, it would be a bit stupid.
Jun 24, 2022 1:00 AM

Aug 2010
_Nette_ said:
You do you.

Dont let anybody tell you there is a correct way to play games.

apart from reloading on football manager.

of course some people might call that a spreadsheet, not a game.
Jun 26, 2022 5:02 PM

Feb 2018
Yes it is because video games are, well games.
The answer to 1984 is 1776
Jun 26, 2022 9:24 PM

Jul 2017
definitely not, but if the gameplay is crap i wont play it even if i wanna watch the story. That's what walkthroughs are for xD

Jun 26, 2022 11:49 PM
Jul 2018
Metalboy76 said:
Yes it is because video games are, well games.

Not all games are video games, buddy.
Jun 28, 2022 4:24 AM

Jul 2019
I agree with you @Treeskyview. I find myself drawn to JRPG's but I don't want to invest a lot of time in grinding and stuff. I play for enjoyment, so if there's an easy mode I'm all for it. Unless it's more action oriented, then I like some challenge (but not to much...)
Jun 28, 2022 9:29 PM
Jul 2018
Absolutely not. I play many games mainly for the story. But I don't like easy difficulty because I like a little bit of challenge. Strategizing can be very fun.
Jun 30, 2022 8:04 AM

Oct 2020
I played some CRPGs (Pillars of Eternity 1, Tyranny) and even Witcher 1 on story difficulty. I love AI: The Somnium Files 1 and 2 but my experience would've been very frustrating if I didn't play it on the easiest difficulty.
Jul 22, 2022 9:26 PM

Jun 2022
Treeskyview said:

No, not at all. In fact, one medium isn't particularly superior or inferior to another for storytelling. Books, theatre, film, video games, television, word of mouth, etc; these are all different ways to experience a story. They all have their place, and what makes video games so special for storytelling is the level of interaction and engagement with the story the medium provides.
Jul 22, 2022 11:15 PM

Aug 2011
What drew me to JRPG and any FF games in the past was their story! I'm not really good with high-level skill games or stuff that needed strategy, so what got me thru was easy mode lol. Also, I really enjoyed watching my friends play games growing up, I loved experiencing Zelda Twilight Princess and Xenoblade cuz I had friends who were good at it and was down to hang out and let me watch them play. :)
desu desu binches

More topics from this board

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3593 by AverageRiceFan »»
4 hours ago

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

166 by CatSoul »»
6 hours ago

» What's the funnest local multiplayer game with friends.

-Fantastical- - Apr 16

21 by Ragrunzel »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Cs:go or Valorant?

bernierimo - Nov 1, 2020

45 by crazygipi »»
Today, 10:37 AM

» Street Fighter 6 and Counter Strike 2

removed-user - Mar 7, 2023

12 by 210200 »»
Today, 4:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.