Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 22, 2021 8:59 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It seems everyone is adapting with their new lives after the incident from the first episode. Trying to get back to their original world isn't easy but at least they can survive for now.

Seems the anime is testing the characters to survive collectively on that world. I find the episode kinda thrilling that way.
Jul 22, 2021 8:59 AM

Jul 2017
Well, what alternate worlds that the entire class of 36 boys and girls have to go through. The supernatural powers that every boy and girl wield in their forever "Drifting Classroom", and now contemplating that on an open island with more mysteries with grasping each of their unique abilities.

The alien-like blue flames which are definitely assumed to be raised off someone's abilities, and a rigged election between Mizuho and the rest, which lead everyone to surmise that those blue flames are her authoritative powers (which isn't the case). Interesting that items traded between the main user and somebody else (like the Game Boy) isn't burnt, it's just when other people try to use it, it ends up burning them instead. That's definitely a rule-bound feature of this world, and Mizuho is done with peolpe playing tricks on her.

Nagara overshadows dead birds, which are a bain to his humanity. To pin it all on Nagara to put this case to rest, and with Mizuho's apology, the solution is easily solved for things that are of reassurance that they won't burn.

There's still a lot to unpack this impeccable show down, but I know I'm here for the ride to uncertainty...and Nozomi will take some time to get them out using her "Compass" power.

I got a feeling that as much as there is the class of 36, we'll just be focusing on the select few for their actions.
KANLen09Jul 22, 2021 11:26 AM
Jul 22, 2021 9:00 AM

Jul 2019
I went and watched this raw bc I was interested, I got some of it lol, will watch it again in sub, I think they were trying to understand the mechanics of the world and shit.

Getting mad Lord of the Flies vibes from this with the island too lmao. I think this anime will be one of the deeper ones this season, might be enjoyable, but it is easy to trip up, this is something I will stay and watch for sure.

Mario reference too lmao.

Will be a fun cryptic anime.

Right, there is also lack of visuals for ED, Madhouse cutting budget be like 💀💀
NextUniverseJul 22, 2021 9:04 AM
Jul 22, 2021 9:47 AM

Jul 2020
The wacky art style with the wacky premise and the just overall beauty of the framing is quickly grabbing my attention. Honestly loving it so far.

Okay so this is what I think happened, blue fire is self explanatory but about mizuho. So she ran for president, lost, found out there was vote manipulation and tried to talk bad about the current president and was fifgured out by the rich kid who pulled strings once again. Once confronted she said that everything she said was true, causing rich kid and the president to take out their revenge against the teacher she liked - either romantically or just because he was a nice guy - causing him to die'leave. Now in this world, she's being blamed once again, and she doesnt speak out, out of fear of what happened last time and gives up essentially before she sees her cat again . I'd assume they get closer and closer to the answer of how to leave as they solve each one of the traumas associated with the class and each other, especially from the president and the rich guy, who seem to be manipulating things.

I love how one guy just coded the blockchain, crypto here we come!
LeviathanHWDJul 22, 2021 10:09 AM
Check out my channel @Criticiza on Youtube to watch my vids ;)

Jul 22, 2021 9:51 AM

Jun 2019
Things returning to normal after a while is not that bad. I guess. An introvert like me can enjoy my life there with all the food and space. Just the internet would be a problem. Otherwise, it's heaven for someone like me. And, it's not for everyone. The supernatural things happening around them can be disturbing for some people.

To be honest, this anime feels like watching a survival show with so many characters and that is also testing their mental strength and abilities in a world or dimension filled with supernatural powers isolating them from the rest of the world. I'm enjoying this show so far.
Jul 22, 2021 9:58 AM

Feb 2020
Finally, a second episode. It was as good as the first one.

The art in this show is definitely unique.
Jul 22, 2021 10:08 AM

Jun 2019
So, nozomi's abbilty is compass. She know the exit door position of drifting classroom
Jul 22, 2021 10:10 AM
Mar 2009
That bit where you suddenly hear a deep male voice you've not heard before and the listener turns round and it's Hoshi talking in their usual voice was a superb bit of unnerving audio.
Jul 22, 2021 10:14 AM
Jul 2020

Wow... This is straight some of the coolest imagery I've ever seen in anime.
uwu32Aug 19, 2021 10:45 AM
Jul 22, 2021 10:15 AM

Jan 2009
not bad so this is an alternate reality kind of show or an isekai "other worlds"

the rules of this world so far is like give and take eh like Equivalent Exchange but Mizuho can break that rule if she feels like giving something for free then it will not burn

its good that the damages return back to normal too but there might be a rule for that too like if there is closure to some event then the game restarts or resets

while Nozomi has the power of compass so she knows which direction they are gonna take next
Jul 22, 2021 10:17 AM

Aug 2020
I'm still amazed by the art over here, the more I pay attention to it the more I get invested in it and that brings me to the question am I the only feeling this or there are people like me over here?!

Jul 22, 2021 10:23 AM

Mar 2019
I don't know why but this show gives me HakoMari vibes with "This world" vs. boxes.

May just be an odd feeling I have
Jul 22, 2021 10:27 AM

Oct 2020
Haha, cryptocurrency solves the fire problem! Compass seems like a really interesting ability. I'd love to see how they utilize it. Well, the characters are getting more familiar with their environment.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 22, 2021 10:39 AM

Aug 2018
The lord of the flies vibes continue from episode 1, although with supernatural powers. Seems like we might get some social or political themes down the line.

A lot of cool ideas in this show, and the overall aesthetic and shot composition is very pleasing, I'm excited to see where this show goes
_______I like rocks__
Jul 22, 2021 10:50 AM

Jan 2021
Damn, every episode is more interesting. They got out of school, although they still can't go back to their world, I wonder if they will show us more kind of dimensions

There are still bad feelings between them, at last Mizuho's problem has been solved, I'm glad
Jul 22, 2021 10:51 AM

Aug 2017
The political subtext gets heavier and blunter.
The conservative "party" (Machi) that wants to preserve the heritage (aka the abusive and oppressive rules we'd seen in the first episode) rigs the elections, even though the revolutionary candidate had more votes. This is anime is pretty damn harsh with the powerful social classes (rightfully so).
It's also interesting how goods/money work in this world. You got something that you didn't work for/deserve? It'll just burn. You have to give something yourself for it.
Curious to see how Nozomi's power, escaping from tyrannical systems and rules, will connect later on. Also, interesting how what she said to Nagara ("you all seem so busy as if you have to do something or go somewhere") gets pertinent again: he ignores others (I'd say symbolically weaker people) suffering while being sympathetic. Is it fine to ignore them, just because you are also a victim of the society (or whatever) you live in? This will probably be more relevant in the next episodes. Shingo Natsume strikes again.
Jul 22, 2021 10:51 AM

Jan 2021
I find the "transaction" rule quite interesting, though I dislike the loophole of a fiat being valid though: Rajdhani's toys were concrete commodities, where the fiat currency holds no value (literally my man made that up). Maybe this will get cleared up down the line though. We'll have to see.

Also the idea of everyone running around picking up stacks of notes on a deserted island without shops is incredibly funny to me. I had a good laugh when (expectedly) everyone caught on fire.
Jul 22, 2021 10:57 AM

Apr 2018
Brack said:
That bit where you suddenly hear a deep male voice you've not heard before and the listener turns round and it's Hoshi talking in their usual voice was a superb bit of unnerving audio.

I rewatched that part like 5 times trying to figure out if it was Hoshi talking or if it was supposed to be somebody else but nope there they were, just Hoshi standing in front of the class like nothing's wrong.
Got me thinking about how there's no VA listed for them on MAL even tho there's one on ANN and whether there's something there. We also still don't know what Hoshi's power is either
elanyJul 22, 2021 11:00 AM
Jul 22, 2021 10:57 AM
Oct 2020
so far i’m really looking forward to the rest of this show. the premise is interesting and i love the animation style/visuals. i think it’s definitely too early to make a judgment but i like where it’s going. the song towards the end of the episode was really pretty as well.

also enjoyed the mario reference :)
Jul 22, 2021 11:07 AM

Aug 2017
Nuttre said:
I find the "transaction" rule quite interesting, though I dislike the loophole of a fiat being valid though: Rajdhani's toys were concrete commodities, where the fiat currency holds no value (literally my man made that up). Maybe this will get cleared up down the line though. We'll have to see.

Also the idea of everyone running around picking up stacks of notes on a deserted island without shops is incredibly funny to me. I had a good laugh when (expectedly) everyone caught on fire.

True. I'd appreciate it if they had stated more specifically how *exactly* you "deserve" money/goods/whatever, other than some vague equal exchange. Also, this is probably reaching, but might the burning tree be an indirect statement on the deforestation caused by greed for money? It'd be honestly quite fitting considering the episode's theme, lol.
Jul 22, 2021 11:09 AM
Dec 2020
About the last few moments of the episode, Mizuho gave a Nagara a hat for nothing and yet, it didn't burn. So does that mean that she can stop the things she gives from burning if she feels like it by just assigning no value to them?
Jul 22, 2021 11:12 AM

Apr 2018
Oh also, what was this?

Jul 22, 2021 11:13 AM

Jun 2021
I feel like this show isn't very good at transitions. Sometimes it's hard to tell what's a flashback and what's happening now, because they weren't clear. I understood it soon enough, but I think it would have been better if things were clearer here. It doesn't seem to be a stylistic choice, either; it just happens.
Jul 22, 2021 11:17 AM

Apr 2018
ommeerr said:
About the last few moments of the episode, Mizuho gave a Nagara a hat for nothing and yet, it didn't burn. So does that mean that she can stop the things she gives from burning if she feels like it by just assigning no value to them?

Personally i took that as either
a) him having already paid her by doing her a favour aka services are a valid trade in

or (altho i personally don't really think this is it)
b) she has some control over the things she makes, in the sense that if she gives them out with the intent of that item being a gift or, as she puts it, a treat, then a repayment isn't necessary
Jul 22, 2021 11:19 AM
Dec 2020
elany said:
ommeerr said:

a) him having already paid her by doing her a favour aka services are a valid trade in

b) she has some control over the things she makes, in the sense that if she gives them out with the intent of that item being a gift or, as she puts it, a treat, then a repayment isn't necessary

I don't think the first statement works because he asked her about how he should pay her back. And yeah, I think the second one makes sense. But if she did have such control, she may as well give everything as a gift. I think it's because of "this world's" rules or her feelings towards the other students that she doesn't do that though.
Jul 22, 2021 11:44 AM

Apr 2018
ommeerr said:
elany said:

I don't think the first statement works because he asked her about how he should pay her back. And yeah, I think the second one makes sense. But if she did have such control, she may as well give everything as a gift. I think it's because of "this world's" rules or her feelings towards the other students that she doesn't do that though.

It's pretty much for the reasons you listed that i think the first option is more likely - all the other "gifts" she gave burned up even if she never wanted anything in return, but in the case of the straw hat, the hat has been already "paid" for, even if nagara didn't take it that way. They've only just established that everything needs to be paid for with their new cryptocurrency, it makes sense that he'd ask how much she wants for it and then for her to explain that she's the one paying him back

But in either case, it'd be interesting to see how much "this world" thinks certain things are worth and how much of that is up to the owner and the worth they attribute to the items they're giving away. Considering the compeltely worthless cryptocurrency works at all, it almost seems like the intent is more important than an actual equivalent exchange of goods and or services but ig we'll see
Jul 22, 2021 11:46 AM
Dec 2017
Gwenpool said:
I feel like this show isn't very good at transitions. Sometimes it's hard to tell what's a flashback and what's happening now, because they weren't clear. I understood it soon enough, but I think it would have been better if things were clearer here. It doesn't seem to be a stylistic choice, either; it just happens.

Nah' it's pretty clear because in flashbacks there are (usually) characters and/or backgrounds that are not present in their current dimension.
Jul 22, 2021 11:49 AM

Feb 2019
Elon Musk is an anime character??? 😳

"There's no such thing as a free lunch." – William Golding
Jul 22, 2021 11:59 AM
Feb 2019
elany said:
Oh also, what was this?

I think it was one of Mizuho's cats, probably the one missing. I guess it works as an omen to finding the cat, almost as if it had always been watching her
oof is my motto of life
Jul 22, 2021 12:00 PM

Nov 2020
Getting hella interesting , the art is awesome , also Nozomi is cute
Jul 22, 2021 12:05 PM
Sep 2013
Nuttre said:

The fiat currency doesn't need to hold value, it's still a valid trade as long as something is exchanged
Jul 22, 2021 12:05 PM
Jan 2019
Apologies is this has already been pointed out here but I couldn’t see it, so I thought I’d scan the QR code they had for fun, and it led to a google search for HYO-RYU-COIN, no relevant results were there, but it’s a nice touch and maybe they’ll add an actual site at some point for any cryptocurrency enthusiasts watching hehe :)
Jul 22, 2021 12:08 PM
Sep 2013
ommeerr said:
elany said:

Wouldn't giving the cat back to her be a fair trade ? Although that would call to question why her cat didn't burn immediately...hmmm
Jul 22, 2021 12:19 PM

Apr 2018
ThatGuyNaruto said:
elany said:
Oh also, what was this?

I think it was one of Mizuho's cats, probably the one missing. I guess it works as an omen to finding the cat, almost as if it had always been watching her

This actually happened just before they returned the cat, after it was already found and nagara was carrying it around, which is why it caught my attention, i actually want back and made sure all of the cats are accounted for - but it could be less literal and more metaphorical, like you said, an omen of sorts perhaps
Jul 22, 2021 12:21 PM

Nov 2013
Anime of the season so far, easily.
LOL, your opinion is wrong!
Jul 22, 2021 12:29 PM

Jan 2017
Seems like this show has more focus into the characters rather than the actual mystery. The narratives been interesting so far. But the mystery still feels rather bland and one dimensional. Basically there are multiple worlds out there but each of has some specific invisible conditions for it be cleared that helps our heroine close the gap between the next world. The next episode will probably decide whether this anime will follow a formulaic pattern or not. Since the premise is quite bizarre it's kinda hard to not get excited for the next episode. I will be definitely looking forward to it.
XAWADJul 22, 2021 12:35 PM
Jul 22, 2021 12:33 PM

Apr 2018
Wel I have a lot of things to say, but way too lazy.

Asakaze opening up the sea like Jesus was something else lol.
We got to know more about Mizuho, which is pretty nice. I like her design and the way she speaks is pretty funny. Nozomi finally revealed her powers ''Compass''.
There are a lot of students but I guess we'll only see a few of them. The most important ones beside the MC's. Anyway, still pretty fun and a lot of mysteries.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jul 22, 2021 12:35 PM

Jan 2009
Criticiza said:
I'd assume they get closer and closer to the answer of how to leave as they solve each one of the traumas associated with the class and each other

ye looks like one of those anime that they cannot move on to the next stage or level in this case world if they do not solve their past social problems
Jul 22, 2021 12:39 PM

Nov 2013
So I reckon this has to be "inception" type of world(s). World(s) made and influenced by dreams and imagination.

P.S Hoshi needs to die.

Jul 22, 2021 12:39 PM

May 2018
This show is flooding us with interesting sci-fi concepts and weird new physical laws like Godzilla SP did.
I love this.
alshuJul 22, 2021 12:43 PM
Jul 22, 2021 12:40 PM

Jul 2011
I like Rajdhani power, just feel fun to have, isnt OP like Mizuho but is a useful power to have.

For some reason I like Mizuho, and I just could trace back to liking the character of GTO, the reason.

And I forgot, whats up with the Legend of Zelda reference?
BlichoBoyJul 22, 2021 10:14 PM
Jul 22, 2021 12:41 PM
Feb 2019
elany said:
ThatGuyNaruto said:

This actually happened just before they returned the cat, after it was already found and nagara was carrying it around, which is why it caught my attention, i actually want back and made sure all of the cats are accounted for - but it could be less literal and more metaphorical, like you said, an omen of sorts perhaps

I had the same doubt, because as you said the cat was already inside Nagara’s shirt. But I couldn’t find any character with similar eyes, so I just assumed it was one of the cats.
oof is my motto of life
Jul 22, 2021 12:47 PM

May 2015
What a great episode, Aoi Yuuki is brilliant as always, and I really want something bad to happen to that star faced little shit
Jul 22, 2021 12:52 PM
Aug 2018
Brack said:

That happened too in the first episode. It was the same voice that speaks when everybody sees the vision of Death
Jul 22, 2021 12:55 PM
Aug 2018
Gwenpool said:

It's totally a stylistic choice. Natsume said in an interview that he didn't want to explain anything to the audience (hence why there are no inner monologues), so I think he has a pretty clear idea of how he wants everything to feel.
I like it, it adds to the feeling of desorientation, lol
Jul 22, 2021 12:59 PM
Nov 2020
Hmm, not quite sure what to feel or think about the story so far honestly.
Jul 22, 2021 1:06 PM
Aug 2018
Ha HA! I knew Nozomi's power was to see the Exit since episode one. Actually, having that in mind, I have a theory that maybe everyone has a power, but some of them just don't know how to use them or that they have them at all?
Like, maybe Nagara's power is to "create" these portals to other worlds, and he didn't just randomly happen to find them. Which... now that I think about it, would make sense because maybe he was responsible for transporting all the school to the island subconsciously so he wouldn't fall into the void? Now I'm getting all kinds of crazy ideas.

And about Hoshi's voice, I feel like Hoshi's power has something to do with manipulating everyone's thoughts. In the first episode, Hoshi was speaking, and then a strange voice (maybe that same strange voice as in this episode) tells everyone that they won't ever get out of there, and everybody sees death, literally. And in this episode, when they go to speak with Mizuho, they all have a vision again of the whole island being burned to the ground (which this time DOES happen).

Anyway, Hoshi seems like he knows something of these worlds that nobody else knows. And it is kind of creepy that there is no VA for him in MAL, lol.

Also, don't know if anybody noticed, but the first episode had NO music at all, while this one had just two tracks, which were AWESOME. The anime is so good visually that you don't notice it, but the sound design is on another level, honestly.
Jul 22, 2021 1:11 PM

Jun 2021
One thing is for sure; these guys are definitely doing something different compared to some of the other generic shows airing this season.

Not 100% sold on the show yet. Definitely enjoyed episode 2 more than the first, with further character introductions, along with some reveal about characters' past.

I feel like this is either going to be a masterpiece or a snooze-fest. I'm hoping for the former.
Jul 22, 2021 1:47 PM

Jan 2021
sim04ful said:
Nuttre said:

The fiat currency doesn't need to hold value, it's still a valid trade as long as something is exchanged

I put it to you that the lassie showing up at the start of the episode could be considered a "service" (showing up as a checkup) and therefore her exchanging this service for the lipstick or whatever is a trade.

Of course this is different from the currency, which appears to be accepted by both parties at that Mizuho stall. It might be interesting if Nagara or Nozomi do not agree that the currency has value, (especially since Nozomi has no mobile phone) and so they cannot participate in trades. Possibly some kind of conflict!?
Jul 22, 2021 1:54 PM
Jun 2021
I really think the art style is unique. It's not like the other anime I have seen. The bright colors and the animation is something new for me. The character design reminds me a little bit of Devilman cry baby (don'tyell at me if I'm wrong. I don't know what it reminds me. It just popped up in my head.)

I like the story. It definitely interesting to see a class of 36 kids in their school, stuck in a black void with no way to communicate, only to then sea to appear and an island. Their journey trying to adapt with the rules of this world and their way to get back home is definitely something that I look forward to.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2021

161 by Zorpanur »»
May 27, 2:44 AM

» S2.

aurora_yuuki - Apr 4

19 by Reelens »»
May 26, 7:09 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2021

143 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Jamk_ - Jun 18, 2021

270 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 10:46 AM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 30, 2021

296 by mabba »»
Apr 28, 5:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.