Forum Settings
Forums

What is the shonen series with the best female characters in it in your opinion

New
Apr 10, 2021 11:41 AM

Jul 2020
The reason why I'm asking this is that people always constantly say that female characters in shonen anime are usually really bad and terribly written characters for some reason and I decided to create this thread to know if there are any female characters in shonen series that are actually genuinely good. Anyway, if you have an answer to that question, please put it in your post for this thread so that I would know your opinion on that question.

It's hard to win an argument against smart people, but impossible to win an argument against dumb ones.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 10, 2021 11:45 AM

Jul 2009
Bleach and FMA: Brotherhood are the two that immediately come to mind.
Apr 10, 2021 11:50 AM
Jul 2018
Medaka Box easily has the best female and probably overall characters in battle shounen.
Apr 10, 2021 12:05 PM

Aug 2012
Fullmetal Alchemist (both versions) is the first one that crosses my mind.
"Could you not talk with me? I'm busy breathing."
Apr 10, 2021 12:21 PM

Jul 2019
Black Clover and Jujutsu Kaisen have best female characters
Apr 10, 2021 12:36 PM
Jan 2021
SmashBlack said:
The reason why I'm asking this is that people always constantly say that female characters in shonen anime are usually really bad and terribly written characters for some reason and I decided to create this thread to know if there are any female characters in shonen series that are actually genuinely good. Anyway, if you have an answer to that question, please put it in your post for this thread so that I would know your opinion on that question.

Nami and robin best written female characters......
Apr 10, 2021 12:53 PM

Apr 2017
I quite enjoyed Power and Kobeni from Chainsaw Man, I like those kinds of insane and over the top personalities.
cunnysseur
Apr 10, 2021 12:59 PM
Aug 2013
What you mean by best?

I mean it's pretty hard to top erza from fairy tail, but one piece has great female characters like boa, nami & robin

Morgiana from magi is cool
Kenichi anime has shigure & miu they are cool too
One punch man has fubuki and tatsumaki
Attack on titan has mikasa
FMA has olivier, lust, izumi and winry
Soul eater has some cool girl characters
Black clover has noelle, vanessa, mimosa, mereoleona, secre, charmy, theresa, charlotte
Yu yu hakusho has genkai
Hunter x hunter has biscuit
Flame of recca has fuko
Dragonball series has android 18 and videl
Bleach has rukia, orihime, yoruichi, rangiku, Nel
Pokemon has misty, may, jessie, dawn, olivia,
Hitman reborn has bianchi & chrome
D gray man has lenalee
Beet the vandel buster has poala and milfa
Slayers has Lina
Mushibugyou has hibachi and insect magistrate
Ranma 1/2 has akane and female version of ranma
Shadow skill has elle ragu
Yumekui merry has merry nightmare
Tetsuwan birdy decode has birdy
Fire force has hibana, tamaki and maki

Also you can try:
Sailor moon, precure series, madoka box and cardcaptor sakura
AnimeDownUnderApr 10, 2021 1:26 PM
~AnimeDownUnder~

Apr 10, 2021 1:31 PM

May 2018
"What is the shonen series with the best female characters in it in your opinion"

Detective Conan, duuuh.
It has Vermouth, Chianti and Eri Kisaki among others...
Apr 10, 2021 1:34 PM

Dec 2016
it's obviously Jujutsu Kaisen, because 1st shounen evah to not use its female cast as sexual objects!!! :D
Apr 10, 2021 1:37 PM

Feb 2019
One piece has awesome female characters
Gintama and fairy tail also has good female characters.
Apr 10, 2021 1:41 PM

Oct 2017
Act Age manga.

Apr 10, 2021 1:43 PM

Mar 2020
Tasel said:
I quite enjoyed Power and Kobeni from Chainsaw Man, I like those kinds of insane and over the top personalities.

And Makima and Reze and Himeno brooo B)))))))))))
Apr 10, 2021 1:43 PM

Oct 2017
Detective conan has some cool female characters !

Apr 10, 2021 1:50 PM

Apr 2017
Tendo_GM said:
Tasel said:

And Makima and Reze and Himeno brooo B)))))))))))

I didn't care about those three as much as Power and Kobeni.
cunnysseur
Apr 10, 2021 1:55 PM

Dec 2018
Not exactly women but Beastars has great female characters. I mainly just love how it portrays maturity.
Apr 10, 2021 2:10 PM

Oct 2010
AnimeDownUnder said:

Birdy is seinen though, but I agree with the rest
Apr 10, 2021 2:20 PM

Jul 2017
Gintama and Pandora Hearts have easily the best and most outstanding female cast in any shounen ever. All of their female characters are amazing, with no exception.
Apr 10, 2021 2:20 PM

Jul 2020
off course I will say Demon Slayer because it has Shinobu :D I mean the other girls are cool too lol
Apr 10, 2021 2:23 PM

Nov 2009
lol @ Bleach.

Fullmetal Alchemist. Jujutsu Kaisen also.
Apr 10, 2021 2:23 PM

Jul 2011
Lol at people mentioning Fairy Tail (and Erza MarySueScarlet at that), such a great laugh
SmordolaApr 10, 2021 2:32 PM
Apr 10, 2021 2:26 PM
Aug 2013
Catalano said:
AnimeDownUnder said:

No it's definitely a shounen it was published in weekly shounen sunday magazine
~AnimeDownUnder~

Apr 10, 2021 2:27 PM
Aug 2013
Robotdick said:
Lol at people mentioning Fairy Tail (and Erza MarySueScarlet at that), such a great laugh

How is erza & mira jane not arguably the best female shounen protagonists? they're both OP and badass

How about now?
~AnimeDownUnder~

Apr 10, 2021 2:28 PM

Nov 2019
Sakuta002766 said:
One piece has awesome female characters
Gintama and fairy tail also has good female characters.

this. gintama has the best female characters in my opinion whereas one-piece has the best overall characters
"Nobody is stronger than me, even when I go easy on them. Remember that" - Ayanokoji Kiyotaka
Apr 10, 2021 2:31 PM

Jul 2011
AnimeDownUnder said:
Robotdick said:

How is erza & mira jane not arguably the best female shounen antagonists? they're both OP and badass

Antagonists?

And Erza relies too much on plot armor and plot conveniences to win fights.
Apr 10, 2021 2:31 PM

Oct 2010
AnimeDownUnder said:
Catalano said:

I informed myself from MAL and it says otherwise, maybe a mistake, I don't have any volumes at hand and not in the mood to search the net, you may be right
Apr 10, 2021 2:32 PM
Aug 2013
Catalano said:
AnimeDownUnder said:

I informed myself from MAL and it says otherwise, maybe a mistake, I don't have any volumes at hand and not in the mood to search the net, you may be right

There's a few birdy series, maybe birdy decode is seinen but birdy the mighty and the other birdy series are shounen
https://myanimelist.net/anime/566/Tetsuwan_Birdy?q=birdy%20&cat=anime
~AnimeDownUnder~

Apr 10, 2021 2:33 PM

Feb 2017
Out of the ones I've seen that'd be the Aria series.
Apr 10, 2021 2:33 PM

Jul 2017
Violet22858004 said:
How has no one said claymore yet, you can't get better than the females in claymore.

FACTS. FACTS. FACTS. FACTS. FACTS.

Apr 10, 2021 2:37 PM

Aug 2020
I would say:
Bleach (Rukia, Nel, and Yoruichi)
HxH(Biscuit,Machi, Palm and Neferpitou)
Black Clover(Nero did it for me)
Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan(Teruhashi)

Apr 10, 2021 2:38 PM

Apr 2013
Mahou sensei Negima.
Chisame, Yue, Nodoka, there's a lot of excellent female characters in this manga series.
The anime adaptation is crap though.
Apr 10, 2021 2:40 PM

Aug 2020
AnimeDownUnder said:
Robotdick said:

How is erza & mira jane not arguably the best female shounen protagonists? they're both OP and badass

How about now?

DUDEEEE I KNOW RIGHT. They're badass but most of the other female characters from fairy tale are shit. Lucy was annoying AF, Wendy was there just being a loli.

Apr 10, 2021 9:52 PM

Jan 2020
Gintama and Jujutsu kaisen have great ones

Apr 10, 2021 10:02 PM

Dec 2020
Black Clover & One Piece has best female characters
Apr 10, 2021 10:04 PM

Jul 2020
Makima is literally one of the best shounen female character in recent years.Here's a bonus point:She's also well written.
AnimeDownUnder said:
Robotdick said:

How about now?

Just because they're op and badass doesn't make them good.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Apr 11, 2021 9:09 AM
Aug 2013
Scordolo said:
Makima is literally one of the best shounen female character in recent years.Here's a bonus point:She's also well written.
AnimeDownUnder said:

How about now?

It's more than that, often female characters are too stereotypical and are shown either to be too feminine and girly or to play the role of damsel in distress. So when a woman is empowered and actually gets to be strong, badass and op like the male characters it shows gender equality it shows these woman don't fit into stereotypes and it's easier to like a character that can look after themselves and doesn't fit into the role of those stereotypical loli or moe girls. Erza is actually a great character and it's just a bonus that she's op and strong, it's pretty hard to hate op characters because the brain automatically associates being op with being cool and likable. And plus they're super hot as well it's a win win in my books
~AnimeDownUnder~

Apr 11, 2021 9:21 AM
Demon Venerable

Apr 2018
SmashBlack said:

Yakusoku no Neverland
There's Isabella and Emma, both well written imo. why? Watch, then u will find out. ^^
As for other ''shounen'' series specifically, I don't think so. They are always in the shadow of the MC, it's shounen series after all. What u expect. :D
Apr 11, 2021 9:25 AM

Jul 2013
Gintama has my favorite female character developments

Though I really like some of the female characters in CSM and jjk

FMA has many good female characters too

For manga:
if only act age author wasn't a piece of sht, the MC there is very good

And jigokuraku has some likeable female characters too, esp yuzuriha
Apr 11, 2021 9:35 AM

Jul 2020
AnimeDownUnder said:
Scordolo said:

It's more than that, often female characters are too stereotypical and are shown either to be too feminine and girly or to play the role of damsel in distress. So when a woman is empowered and actually gets to be strong, badass and op like the male characters it shows gender equality it shows these woman don't fit into stereotypes and it's easier to like a character that can look after themselves and doesn't fit into the role of those stereotypical loli or moe girls. Erza is actually a great character and it's just a bonus that she's op and strong, it's pretty hard to hate op characters because the brain automatically associates being op with being cool and likable. And plus they're super hot as well it's a win win in my books

Makes sense.Thank you for the elaboration.
Raideroz-nim said:
SmashBlack said:

Yakusoku no Neverland
There's Isabella and Emma, both well written imo. why? Watch, then u will find out. ^^
As for other ''shounen'' series specifically, I don't think so. They are always in the shadow of the MC, it's shounen series after all. What u expect. :D

I'm surprised no one mentioned them.
ScordoloApr 11, 2021 10:29 AM

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Apr 11, 2021 10:41 AM
Demon Venerable

Apr 2018

Probably no1 remember it's actually shounen.
Apr 11, 2021 10:49 AM
Aug 2020
Fullmetal Alchemist, Jujutsu Kaisen, and Gintama have the best female characters in Shounen anime
Apr 11, 2021 10:57 AM
Aug 2017
Gintama has a lot of great fem characters! And so does Aria
Apr 11, 2021 11:28 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
SmashBlack said:
Shounen with the best female characters, huh... well, I don't actually read/watch shounen much, as I've always been more of a shoujo fan or just generally most things mahou shoujo (magical girl). But there are a few out there that I liked with some at least likeable female characters:
  • I did like Rukia from like the first 10 volumes or so I read of Bleach... that was in like high school tho so I don't remember much anymore.
  • To this day, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle is the only shounen series I have actually read to completion. I have not watched the anime adaptation aside from the awesome opening, but the original manga is great and the female characters in it are great as well.
    Side note: You'll enjoy this manga a lot more if you're a CLAMP fan (as it's also actually a huge CLAMP crossover in the same vein as Kingdom Hearts when it was originally a Disney and Final Fantasy crossover) and/or you are reading/already read xxxHOLiC alongside it. You can still read it and enjoy it if you didn't do either, but your enjoyment could vary drastically.
  • Azumanga Daioh is literally a shounen Cute Girls Doing Cute Things comedy. Classic.
  • Apparently that one 2-chapter promotional one-shot for The World Ends With You is considered shounen, and if you couldn't tell from my past forum history I absolutely adore TWEWY, so I'm counting that in here. This manga is way too short though and barely has ANYTHING other than some funny jokes, obviously just go and play the game. Have fun.
    Side note: The anime adaptation's currently airing, but so far they already cut/rushed out so much into one episode... and considering this show literally only exists just to advertise the sequel Neo:TWEWY, it's bound to retcon a whole bunch of shit for no reason Kingdom Hearts/Chrono Cross style cuz there's already some noticeable retcons...... yeah, not ideal for a first experience of TWEWY, just stick to the original game, original DS version highly recommended........
  • The Girl From the Other Side is surprisingly a shounen title and it's great. Sensei and Shiva's interactions with each other are quite wholesome despite the actual reality/tone of this story somewhat creeping in.

(Kinda?) Honorable Mention: I did like Maka from Soul Eater a little bit, but I had to drop the series because the fanservice actively hurt my enjoyment. Made the big mistake of reading this manga in public lol........

...But yeah, good shounen female characters do exist out there.

I guess I'd answer your question with either Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle and/or Azumanga Daioh though.
Haven't finished/read enough The Girl From the Other Side to tell if you'd like it.

✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶

AnimeDownUnder said:
Also you can try:
Sailor moon, precure series, madoka box and cardcaptor sakura
Umm...... Sailor Moon, Pretty Cure, and Cardcaptor Sakura are all shoujo, not shounen.
Also, did you mean to spell MEdAka and not MAdOka? Because if you meant the latter, that's not shounen either. Madoka Magica has no demographic tag, but pretty much all of its manga adaptations and spin-offs are marketed as seinen. Once again, not shounen.
Apr 11, 2021 11:31 PM

Dec 2019
nobara kugisaki from jujutsu kaisen, glad she isnt a fan service character and genuinely good character also miwa and maki and other really excellent characters
Only you know what you've seen, heard and felt, someone else's opinion is irrelevant.

-Kurenai, Deca Dence
Apr 11, 2021 11:39 PM
Feb 2020
Gintama and Fullmetal Alchemist. The female characters actually have a spine and are not just damsels in distress for the MC's benefit.
Apr 11, 2021 11:48 PM

May 2020
I’ll go ahead with Bleach because I like all the female characters there.
If you want me to prepare a rope for the sake of hanging yourself, forget it. But… If it's a rope for the sake of pulling you up from Hell, no matter how many ropes it takes, I'll prepare them for you. ~Sakata Gintoki
Apr 11, 2021 11:50 PM

Dec 2020
Gintama.

And to some extent, probably One Piece and KnY.
Though, note that "best ≠ well written"

I wasted all my time in rewatching to the point of my rewatch total is higher than my overall anime total lmao
Apr 11, 2021 11:56 PM

Oct 2020
Aria for sure. Gintama's is also pretty good
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 12, 2021 12:11 AM

Mar 2019
Aria, and Umineko.
Yeah i guess that's it.

I play BanG Dream! Girls Band Party

Garupa EN ID: 10759829
Garupa JP ID: 36753163
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Which anime do you think deserves a reboot or continuation, and why?

Gashadokur0 - 52 minutes ago

6 by Anjuro »»
3 minutes ago

» Have you ever wondered what battle shonen protagonists were like without teeth? Here are Gojo and Luffy

Dije - 34 minutes ago

1 by FanofAction »»
5 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

1023 by ThijsF »»
43 minutes ago

» Hottest Adult Characters in anime?

RedTea33 - May 27

27 by liveleaked »»
48 minutes ago

» why is myanimelist aka mal not popular in china?

deg - May 12

30 by liveleaked »»
48 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.