Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
So I'm a Spider, So What? (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Jan 10, 2021 1:14 AM

Aug 2017
I loved every second of this. Aoi Yūki is perfect as always. Hugo being a dick was funny. the ED definitely goes better with animation behind it.

personally I had 0 issues with the CG. it usually looks really jarring in shows, either being trash or just passable but seeing it used on monsters instead of humans works for me. doing it on humans makes them look all robotic and weird but having them on things that already have weird movements helps make it blend in more I suppose.

I won't be surprised if my opinion of the adaptation drops over the course of its two cours, though. I'm really biased for this series but this episode makes me optimistic at the least.
Jan 10, 2021 2:30 AM
Jan 2012
MC is freaking annoying and stupid same time, drop
Jan 10, 2021 4:00 AM

Oct 2019
Damn, I started watching it thinking it would help with my phobia of spiders (they say the first step to getting over a phobia is to look at a drawing of the thing you're afraid of), but the main character aside, watching that big swarm of spiders was already tough for me ^^'
I guess I'll count this series as my weekly training xD
Jan 10, 2021 5:49 AM

Jun 2017
Really loving the first episode.
I am happy with the CG since they only do that for Kumo and the Monsters in the cave
and NOT for the humans outside.

As a manga reader its great to see what happens on the outside too, as that is not explored in the manga so far.
Also yes, this show is monologue heavy when the focus is on Kumo.
And very comedic.

From what I see, this one will probably go until
Jan 10, 2021 5:51 AM

Jun 2017
Tecronos said:
Akuma_Asta said:
Okay can someone spoil me?
Will the MC get a human appearance like Rimuru did later on??
yes,but like the last episode

I doubt it will happen in these 24 Episodes.
Jan 10, 2021 6:34 AM
Oct 2019
Gamer Girl as Spider...
Also Aoi Yuuki as the VA... Cute

I can't help myself not to comparing this to Slime right... Hehe

Well Overall CGI it was okay i guess with some bad one especially the Big Spider (we know that Millepensee's is the Studio Behind Berserk 2016) so my expectations isn't that high...

So that Human Scene in the Ballroom i think they are also the reincarnation of Spider Classmates as well...

OP song was okay and what was that ED song... Didn't expect that one coming... Lol
davidyodo24Jan 10, 2021 6:47 AM
Jan 10, 2021 6:48 AM
Aug 2016
I was looking forward to watch the anime since I read the light novel before. The spider is adorable and I didn't find much problems in the anime, I am not that particular about cgi and animation stuff, I care more about the story.

Thus, I don't understand why the rating is so low, 6.94, are you kidding me?
This is the first anime I rated 10/10, no, I don't think it deserves that high but due to people judge the anime based on first episode, I gave it full score.

I will change my score once it drops to 7/10. I really don't think this anime will drop any further than 7 as long as they do the story right.
Jan 10, 2021 9:27 AM

Nov 2016
APPRAISAL SAMA

manga readers
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396
Jan 10, 2021 11:24 AM

Nov 2018
Isekai, Unnoriginal, terrible cast of characters soo far...

But hey, at least it dosent look like a fucking harem, soo its something.

Jan 10, 2021 1:52 PM
Feb 2018
imma just leave this here for everyone who thinks that this somehow is a slime ripoff

*Spoiler*
https://www.reddit.com/r/KumoDesu/comments/kude6u/ln_vol_7_reusing_uinsidersto_old_memes/
MuretoJan 10, 2021 1:56 PM
Jan 10, 2021 2:33 PM

Jul 2010
Was a great episode. The animation was fine. I don't really understand complaining about it since it's got a good story. I STG people that complain about CGI are big babies.
Jan 10, 2021 2:54 PM

Jul 2016
Pretty good, didn't mind the cgi, I'm used to seeing much worse.
Jan 10, 2021 3:45 PM
Mar 2014
Not a bad first episode imo. Looking forward to watching more. Only thing that might make it a bit better is if she spoke a bit less haha.
Jan 10, 2021 3:57 PM
Aug 2014
Thought will enjoy it more compared to how much i like the LN hope it gets better
Jan 10, 2021 4:00 PM
Aug 2014
Tougen said:

The MC is pretty unique compared to most issekais tbh.
Jan 10, 2021 4:07 PM

Aug 2019
Pretty average episode.
The spider's voice is annoying.
Jan 10, 2021 4:32 PM

Jan 2016
Interesting. All the reviews have been removed, but it was kind of expected.
The score is pretty low but I doubt it will recover well.
It doesn't help that people put low scores based on a first impression and certain biases, then run off and never come back again.
HeadfirstRocketJan 10, 2021 4:36 PM
The trouble with the future is that it keeps turning into the present.
Jan 10, 2021 5:09 PM

Apr 2018
Honestly, I didn't mind the visuals it was pretty good in my opinion. A good start and curious about how the story is going to progress.
Jan 10, 2021 8:04 PM
Nov 2013
FONZACUS said:
APPRAISAL SAMA

manga readers

That's just from the viewpoint of manga readers.
Jan 11, 2021 2:20 AM

Oct 2018
Well this anime is kind of gory to me! But not gory enough to keep from watching it especially since this game mechanic is closely similar to Bofuri!

But what was that explosion we see at the start? Could it be a gas explosion? This is something we must know and see what's going on in the previous life!

Looks like all the students have reincarnated in here as well! There's some who got reincarnated as a monster! Interesting, the question is how will this anime will go now? Looking forward to it!
Forum set made by Nate
Jan 11, 2021 2:26 AM

Apr 2015
Cocoa_Hoto said:
Well this anime is kind of gory to me! But not gory enough to keep from watching it especially since this game mechanic is closely similar to Bofuri!

But what was that explosion we see at the start? Could it be a gas explosion? This is something we must know and see what's going on in the previous life!

Looks like all the students have reincarnated in here as well! There's some who got reincarnated as a monster! Interesting, the question is how will this anime will go now? Looking forward to it!
Hmm, yeah i also dislike the gory part of the 1st episode. I dunno why they make it like that. It wasn't gory at all in the manga n webnovel.

Try reading Spy x Family Manga ^_^
U will love it, i promise...
Jan 11, 2021 2:31 AM

Mar 2016
Cocoa_Hoto said:

it was a magic explosion but more in depth details is a spoiler
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Jan 11, 2021 2:47 AM
Jul 2018
Personally liked it, but my existing apathy for everyone except Kumo from the light novel and manga is so strong that when the other students showed up my instinct was to skip them. The anime did a better job of introducing the students early so I'm happy about that.

I still can't get over the anime eyes on Kumo. Like really they are distracting. Luckily the rest of the parts with her is quite nice and funny as I was hoping.
Jan 11, 2021 5:50 AM

Apr 2020
First half was really bad
Kinda felt like mixture of slime, bofuri and arifureta but very fast paced
2nd half seems interesting as their whole class got reincarnated
They really incarnated a boy into a girl😂😂
Many Boiz have their hopes up...
Jan 11, 2021 7:58 AM
Dec 2017
lswarmruler said:

Hmm, yeah i also dislike the gory part of the 1st episode. I dunno why they make it like that. It wasn't gory at all in the manga n webnovel.

I mean the novel never mentions intestines or something like that but it was pretty gory.
Kumoko lose eyes, legs, bunches of torax, etc.
Jan 11, 2021 2:31 PM

Nov 2020
i think this has kinda just shown me how tired i am of the isekai genre, especially when almost every single one has a shut-in gamer protagonist. this episode wasn't bad, it just feels like something i've seen time and time again.
Jan 11, 2021 3:59 PM

Dec 2016

Karnatia Seri Anabald is one of the students that reincarnated. Born a boy name Kanata Ooshima (大島 叶多) in her previous life, now she has reincarnated as a beautiful girl and the daughter of the Duke of Anabald.

'Spider girl, you had my curiosity ... but now you have my attention.'
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.99/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.169/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.89/? - weekly)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.67/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.56/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Jan 11, 2021 4:15 PM

Nov 2018
vilivili said:
Tougen said:

The MC is pretty unique compared to most issekais tbh.

I meant the concept of the issekai, its not the first time the "MC reincarnates a a monster that will look human later" trope happened, already saw loads of mangas or novels where this is a thing, at least the synopsis, and like i said, it dosent look like it will go into the isekai route, at least not yet, and if it dosent go there that alone puts it way above garbage tier isekais like the 8th son one thats also releasing this season.
Jan 11, 2021 10:14 PM
Nov 2020
Why did they show Shun's side so early in the Anime even though they didn't show it in the manga?
Jan 11, 2021 11:05 PM

Jul 2009
Velporas said:
Why did they show Shun's side so early in the Anime even though they didn't show it in the manga?
In the Web Novel, Shun's "slice of life in another world" starts showing up after chapter 10 as a side story.

kirie-chan said:
This is frankly fucking disgusting.
What is? Eating creatures? Humans do it all the time. Half the shit we eat has insects or ground insects in it. Our foods a lot more gross than the other-world monster delicacies Kumoko eats.
Jan 12, 2021 6:17 AM

Jul 2020
Yuuki Aoi voicing the main character (spider) made this show 100x more entertaining to watch lol. Loved the ED too!

I accept random friend requests!
Jan 12, 2021 9:15 AM
Jan 2020
I have little interest with her classmate thou. Arifureta + Slime. Very not creative. Annoying cringe mc, bad opening & ending.
Jan 12, 2021 10:46 AM
Sep 2020
mkzxwing said:
Garbage, as expected of the makers of berserk 16. The quality of the CGI is much better, thankfully, but detail is still lacking in a lot of things, the movements are rather robotic, and the moment a scene has any motion that exceeds 5-10fps, it looks choppy as hell, and when it gets to fast motions in fights it just outright rip your eyes to shreds because you can't follow what's going on at all... Guess they didn't learn anything from berserk... Come on, jeez, its CGI, you can render it at 30 or 60 without any effort, why you go 24 and under? It fucking hurts to watch, not to mention you can barely tell what's going on! I don't know how these people manage to be so bad, you have some barely known titles like Etotama that are leagues ahead of this crap in animation smoothness and quality... THIS is how good CG looks like so yeah, compare to that and and THIS show definitely doesn't pull any rating over 'crappy'...
Millepensee is not making the cgi for this and they didn't make the cgi for berserk 2016, they are a 2d only studio.
Jan 12, 2021 10:56 AM

Dec 2009
It was pretty good... until they started talking about skill points... sigh
Jan 12, 2021 11:48 AM

Jul 2014
Aoi Yuuki!!! And Naou Touyama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whose character was a man in her previous life lol, that's going to be interesting. Also fabulous dragon girl haha and elf sensei <3.

Jesus Christ, the poor voice of Aoi Yuuki tested again to the extreme. It's not the first but it still impresses me. Pefect fit as always.

Kumoko's POV is like Slime but with a spider and no human form. Human form that is seen with her other classmates also reborn in this new world. Pretty weird way to be transported by the way, what the hell happened? And why are her classmates more or less the same age as they were before while she was just born? Speaking about her birth, what a scary way to be reborn in another world, surrounded by hundreds of spiders of your same size and then realize that you yourself are a spider.

It's not the anime that has caught my attention the most this season so far but it was definitely fun and what we see in the OP makes me quite excited about what is to come.
Jan 12, 2021 12:56 PM

Jan 2021
Seems interesting so far. She accepted being a spider quicker than I would, though!
Jan 12, 2021 1:56 PM

Oct 2013
HoloKill said:
mkzxwing said:
Garbage, as expected of the makers of berserk 16. The quality of the CGI is much better, thankfully, but detail is still lacking in a lot of things, the movements are rather robotic, and the moment a scene has any motion that exceeds 5-10fps, it looks choppy as hell, and when it gets to fast motions in fights it just outright rip your eyes to shreds because you can't follow what's going on at all... Guess they didn't learn anything from berserk... Come on, jeez, its CGI, you can render it at 30 or 60 without any effort, why you go 24 and under? It fucking hurts to watch, not to mention you can barely tell what's going on! I don't know how these people manage to be so bad, you have some barely known titles like Etotama that are leagues ahead of this crap in animation smoothness and quality... THIS is how good CG looks like so yeah, compare to that and and THIS show definitely doesn't pull any rating over 'crappy'...
Millepensee is not making the cgi for this and they didn't make the cgi for berserk 2016, they are a 2d only studio.

Whoever made it, made it similarly bad. Same really low choppy framerate, robotic motions, mediocre models, super zoomed in camera in most scenes that doesn't make sense, and super shaky during action scenes, which, combined with the low framerate delivers the disorienting, EYETEARING visuals we know and love (NOT) from Berserk16...
Jan 12, 2021 2:07 PM

Aug 2020
I hope this show isn't just a rip off of that time I got reincarnated as a slime, it would be a real shame.

The first episode was decent.

Seems like the concept of reincarnation is used a lot in this world, unless everybody who was shown is just a student.
Jan 12, 2021 6:17 PM

Nov 2010
I am up to date with the manga but in this episode they showed more humans than in all the volumes that I've read, they are going pretty fast with the story lol
But I liked how kumoko is still cute in the tv series, I just think that her voice is a bit annoying, it's not what I expected.
Jan 12, 2021 6:52 PM
Dec 2017
expired_0 said:
I hope this show isn't just a rip off of that time I got reincarnated as a slime, it would be a real shame.

Seems like the concept of reincarnation is used a lot in this world, unless everybody who was shown is just a student.

All the characters presented in episode 1 were students except Sue (Shun's little sister).
But yeah the concept of reincarnation is a thing in that world.
Jan 12, 2021 7:31 PM
Oct 2019
expired_0 said:

Spider is absolutely nothing like slime. And to any who read this, stop comparing the two it's a disservice to both franchises.
Jan 12, 2021 7:51 PM
Jan 2021
The entire thing is doomed for failure. Might as well cancel it while they're ahead.
God-Emperor, Overlord, and General Idiot. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
Jan 12, 2021 11:45 PM
May 2017
Glordit said:
People REEEE'ing about CGI.

Why don't you got work in the film and animation industry first?

TRUE!!! If you don't make video games do NOT say video games are bad. kekw
Jan 13, 2021 2:29 AM

Jan 2016
I just realized that in the OP, when kumoko is facing the blueish dragon, her internal organs are showing. An interesting detail that the animators have put in.
The trouble with the future is that it keeps turning into the present.
Jan 13, 2021 3:35 AM

Jun 2013
I'm only a manga reader but I enjoyed the first episode. I don't remember those other characters like thr blue and pinked haired boy and girl since I'm not a LN reader but it kind of spoil3d me? lol not that I mind. I still enjoy it and have been waiting for this adaptation for the longest time.

I might even pick up the LN in the future when I have more time.
臭い-
Jan 13, 2021 4:07 AM

Oct 2019
Very fun start, kumoko's VA is aweosome, the CGI is good, looks different from what we saw in the trailers, they improved it, anyway, this show had a pretty solid start, let's see how it progresses.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 13, 2021 12:29 PM

Apr 2013
OMG we've lost Aoi Yuuki, she's gone berserk LMAO.
This episode was basically a one (wo) man show for her, she kept changing her tone, acting and emotion every ten seconds. The story itself didn't especially impress imo nor engross me, but holy voice acting batman did I laugh most of the episode.
Then the ending hits and this is another over the top berserk voice acting performance, this is so entertaining.

I decided to watch this after knowing it was Aoi Yuuki as the protag but man I didn't expect it to go that far.
oh and "ooooh, jesuuus" => lmao (would she even say that as a Japanese high schooler tho :D ).

Jan 13, 2021 5:26 PM
Aug 2011
Guys, this is sooooo much better than Slime. Kumoko actually has to fight for her skills, instead of just have everything handed to her.

And btw, everyone should read the LN, it's perfect.
Jan 13, 2021 11:17 PM

Apr 2013
As a WN and manga reader, the adaptation is definitely decent, above average at least.

Damn that Kumoko VA is definitely amazing. The 2D animation is above average. Contrary to other people, I'm okay with the CGI, and CG definitely needed tho. I mean, man that many spider was probably very costly to animate with hand drawn animation. And the CGI itself isn't that bad anyway.

one cons imo, that transition to human side is definitely jarring.

EDIT: also for people that compared this to Tensura, nah, (at least on the WN and Manga) Kumoko actually way better, character wise. Cecause she needs to climb her way up, instead of shoving the OP-ness to her.
"As long as you're alive, something happy bound to happens"
-What a Wonderful World
Jan 14, 2021 1:06 AM
Jan 2021
I've read the light novels, and so far this is a pretty good cover of the start.
The protagonist is NOT going to grow powerful fast. Expect her to have enemies to run from for the first few seasons at least.
Oh, and nobody, I mean nobody is all powerful.
There is more going on behind the scenes than there appears to be.
Things are not always what they seem.
There is no traditional Good versus Evil. Everything is shades of nuance.
Some side story has been skipped (the human/elf characters), but that's not too important.

On the downside: this anime will need to be many seasons long if it is done right.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 7, 2021

139 by Cissi168 »»
Jun 10, 7:02 AM

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2021

140 by Psicrom »»
May 26, 7:30 PM

Poll: » Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2021

370 by Youtube_Zero »»
May 9, 5:10 PM

» So there's no romance in there?

rishamr - Mar 25

12 by SwordBreaker36 »»
Apr 19, 5:07 AM

» As a LN reader, it hurts that this probably won't get another season

NXT_2006 - Feb 15, 2023

14 by DonKhixote »»
Apr 5, 4:02 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.