Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 1, 2020 9:17 AM

Mar 2018
I stopped reading the webtoon when he just entered the second floor. This being an anime made it more easy to watch but the pacing is really fast. Most of the praise this story gets is for its worldbuilding, but it seems like this will be more of an action flick in a cool world. That's fine too, but lack of detail and buildup will make this significantly less interesting overall.

Kevin Penkin with another banger though, jeez. Just let him do every fantasy show ever.

edit: They skipped all monologue and dialogue of Yuri and Evan while they're travelling to meet up with the Tower Guard and Bam. Gotta get to that battle royale stuff quick lol.
EsquirtitApr 1, 2020 9:27 AM
poop
Apr 1, 2020 9:19 AM

Dec 2019
Nice episode. Looked kinda rushed
Apr 1, 2020 9:20 AM

Jan 2020
Decent first episode, Soundtrack was amazing throughout the episode, art style is unique and good enough, but I really hope it'll change in next seasons ( if they come later ) , 7/10 for the first episode
Apr 1, 2020 9:20 AM

Apr 2010
I don't know, the main character was too boring for me... So cliche... I would rather it to be about the princess of Jada.

Apr 1, 2020 9:21 AM
Jul 2016
I actually liked this episode! I read the manwha some year ago so I don't remember alot. but one thing i do remember, if I remember correctly, is that I actually thought that the pacing of the manwha was too slow for my taste. So this pace is actually good if you ask me.
Apr 1, 2020 9:21 AM
Feb 2016
Ost when bam arrived to Second floor ,so fcking good ,I can't wait for full version
Apr 1, 2020 9:22 AM

Mar 2016
I really enjoyed this first episode! Definitely a solid 4/5 for me. The artstyle is really cool in my opinion and it had just the right amount of mystery to interest me from the beginning. Stray Kids hit it out of the park with the OP and ED as well. Can't wait for next week's episode!
Apr 1, 2020 9:23 AM
Newshit

Jan 2015
Love the episode, tho you can feel that Bams vocie actor isnt as used to it as the others are.

Soundtracks straight fire.

Apr 1, 2020 9:23 AM

Feb 2010
Fun start so far!

It made me smile around 13:30 when the background music sounded so similar to New Order’s “Confusion” remix that was featured in the opening of the 1998 Blade movie: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ESU43fx5Hx8

I need more of this show ( โ— โ€ฟโ—  )
Apr 1, 2020 9:24 AM

Jul 2017
art's a bit weird but kinda cool in it's on right

will still give it some time before judging, but interested to see how this progresses. An SAO/MiA style tower structure can produce endless creativity
Short_CircutApr 1, 2020 11:31 AM
Apr 1, 2020 9:29 AM
Jun 2017
Kimurah said:
Can't say I'm impressed with this first episode.

Sure, it looks gorgeous in some of the scenes that barely depicts this strange world, but the narrative goes 100 miles an hour in order for me to get a grasp of who are these new characters and why should I care for any of them.

There's no point of reference regarding Rachel & Bam on how they make the day to day life before Rachel all of a sudden decided to climb this famous tower I just heard of 2 mins ago in a quick infodump. To me, the point of origin of a character or cast of characters is quite important when it comes to Fantasy & Adventure titles. The small flashback of Rachel & Bam meeting up while Bam was climbing a pile of rocks doesn't say much of where they actually live.

Yuri & Evan introduction also just pops out of thin air. She claims that she's a princess, but how would I know or care if she really is one, when I'm not seeing anything that provides her of that title. Bam doesn't look anything outside the ordinary kid that plays the role of "the chosen one" with thicker plot armor than the scales of that giant Eel. He manages to wield a sword that had hidden power that not even the rightful owner could unlock, yet he manages to pull them out just because he's a handsome guy???

I'll keep watching a few more episodes in order to see if it slows down and/or something that piques my interest comes up.

Yeah, there was a decent amount of exposition in the first few chapters of the webtoon that they cut out (e.g., Yuri and Evan have a conversation before she shows up by kicking Bam in the face). Hopefully, they'll weave it in in the following episodes. In their defense, a lot of the exposition early on in the webtoon was very much telling rather than showing so maybe they just want to integrate it better.
Apr 1, 2020 9:29 AM

Jul 2017
what can I say, the opening is pretty catchy.
its kinda cliche a bit with the mainchara suddenly had some hidden power or such to deal with the steel eel(?).
didn't expect to be a battle royale on the 2nd floor. that arrow guy just got sniped holy sss.
Apr 1, 2020 9:30 AM

Feb 2014
Looks cool, but I feel that is by the end of this season if I still care about the story I will end up just reading the webtoon, which may be what the creators wanted anyway.
Apr 1, 2020 9:32 AM
Aug 2018
I actually liked the first episode. I'm just thinking if the season 1 goes well then probably season 2 will be placed really high on Mal ratings. And for people that complain about the cuts, yes, they didn't put some stuff that I also wanted to see but they didn't make it too different. I think 14-15 episodes would be really good for the first season actually. Dunno why but the first season in 24 episodes seems a bit too much.
Apr 1, 2020 9:33 AM

Jun 2009
I really like the art there and tbh I feel that that pace is good for this show. After all it has fast pace overall (as far as I remember).
Tho for now I am disappointed with opening, I somehwhat cringed during it. I hope they will develop it over time.
Overall first episode was nice and I am hopeful for the show. I hope I won't get disappointed.
Apr 1, 2020 9:35 AM

Aug 2013
A cool start. The anime to me looks unique and I already like the characters, especially Yuri.

Don't know what to think about both the OP & ED. Not the best choice tbh.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the episodes.

Apr 1, 2020 9:35 AM

May 2019
So far so good. The first test is probably the most boring part of the whole webtoon, so I never expected anything more than what we got.

Things got real very quickly with the second test, though. They introduced the characters really well. Ngl I expected a much aggressive voice for Rak lol when I read the webtoon his voice inside my head always shouts nonstop.

The OP song is trash, tho. The ED is fine.

I hope we get a decent adaptation. This seems promising so far.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Apr 1, 2020 9:43 AM

Nov 2014
It was ok I guess? I like artsyle and general premise. What I really don't like is when stories jump into the middle and then reveal basic information about characters as some flashbacks - it's supposed to be artistic or sth, but just ends up messy.
Apr 1, 2020 9:48 AM

Nov 2018
That was an alright episode, I'm looking forward to more of this series, seeing how popular the webtoon is online
So I've been banned from MAL-Badges, after spending nearly two years of my time and dedication to helping out, being the club's spokesperson, and planning for the revamp, it all goes down the fucking drain. What a joke the club has become. I advise everyone to stop using the feature and stop showing their support for the site and the club. We were promised that we will see changes come to the site, and nothing's been done for the past year. I doubt the site will be touched for the foreseeable future. If you're angry and annoyed about the lack of development, then good, you should be.
Apr 1, 2020 9:52 AM

Jun 2014
I mean, I guess it was all right so far. Seemed pretty much like the type of start you would see in your typical battle shounen. Hopefully it gets better as the show progresses.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Apr 1, 2020 9:53 AM

May 2015
Even though I've never read the series, I could immediately tell that the pacing was extremely fast. I wasn't bored at all during this episode because of that, but I could see this being a problem in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if the story becomes a jumbled mess.

Apr 1, 2020 9:53 AM

Oct 2008
The art is kinda let down but at least the events are maybe faithfully adopted...
not really sure about the selection of VAs...
4/5 for the first ep.

and oh the music...it kinda okayish cuz we're just on the first part of the story...

Apr 1, 2020 9:54 AM

Dec 2014
Looks great, nice start. The 1 cour worries me, adapting the entirety of season 1 into 1 cour will make latter parts of the season seem jarring because of how fast the plot will have to jump. They might have to skip tons of dialogue that's important to world building.

I think the first episode was great, promising start and they got straight to the action but tons of dialogue was skipped especially regarding why Evan doesn't tell Baam how to progress which may bite them back later.

The directing is very nice, tons of great shots but I am still concerned as to how they will handle this in just 1 cour. Anyone interested after this episode should read the webtoon just for the expository information.

Soundtrack is fantastic, I hope we get some nice action sequences.
Long story short, my impressions of the adaptations are generally positive but I'm also concerned with how it will get treated and how much they intend to adapt.

I find it interesting that Baam is pronounced 'Yoru' and Rachel is pronounced 'Rahelu' when I would've expected well 'Baam' and 'Rachelu'. Translating Irregular as Non-Regular is very strange cause the former makes more sense and is the more common word.
Apr 1, 2020 9:55 AM
Feb 2020
That was pretty rushed and they gonna release 13 ep like that my God .
The art style is fine so far and i didn't like the OP and the OST , they were strange or smth like that . Well , if im gonna rate it , i will give it 3/5 or even 2/5 . It's only the first episode, but i guess, I'm gonna drop it in the middle . Really disappointed
Apr 1, 2020 9:57 AM
Jun 2017
For those who aren't sure whether to continue yet (especially those who haven't read the webtoon), keep in mind that

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
DeadlyRavenApr 10, 2020 7:57 AM
Apr 1, 2020 9:59 AM
Jul 2019
It's finally here ladies and gentlemen, one of the greatest and my favorite WEBTOON series, Tower of God.

So they're using the Japanese equivalent of Bam's name. His name is the Twenty-fifth Night which is Bam in Korean.

Yuri is beautiful, truly best girl of the series.

Kinda fast-paced. Headon didn't even explain that he have to pop the ball or did I miss it. That's because it's fast as hell. Also they'll definitely finish season 1 of the manhwa with this kind of pacing.

Kevin Penkin never disappoints. That soundtrack is amazing.

Animation is pretty unique, kinda like Mob Psycho and some old animations that you'll see on YouTube. Some of the fights are incredible in this series, hope I can see it animated.
SomeGuyWithHairApr 1, 2020 10:03 AM
Apr 1, 2020 10:01 AM
Mar 2015
Kimurah said:
Can't say I'm impressed with this first episode.

Sure, it looks gorgeous in some of the scenes that barely depicts this strange world, but the narrative goes 100 miles an hour in order for me to get a grasp of who are these new characters and why should I care for any of them.

There's no point of reference regarding Rachel & Bam on how they make the day to day life before Rachel all of a sudden decided to climb this famous tower I just heard of 2 mins ago in a quick infodump. To me, the point of origin of a character or cast of characters is quite important when it comes to Fantasy & Adventure titles. The small flashback of Rachel & Bam meeting up while Bam was climbing a pile of rocks doesn't say much of where they actually live.

Yuri & Evan introduction also just pops out of thin air. She claims that she's a princess, but how would I know or care if she really is one, when I'm not seeing anything that provides her of that title. Bam doesn't look anything outside the ordinary kid that plays the role of "the chosen one" with thicker plot armor than the scales of that giant Eel. He manages to wield a sword that had hidden power that not even the rightful owner could unlock, yet he manages to pull them out just because he's a handsome guy???

I'll keep watching a few more episodes in order to see if it slows down and/or something that piques my interest comes up.

Leirza said:
what can I say, the opening is pretty catchy.
its kinda cliche a bit with the mainchara suddenly had some hidden power or such to deal with the steel eel(?).
didn't expect to be a battle royale on the 2nd floor. that arrow guy just got sniped holy sss.

Yes, the pacing and narration is really fast compared to the slowness of manhwa.
History of Bam and Rachel is presented until now the same as in manhwa (it's important to remain this way).
Yuri's princess vibe is absent indeed (that's how i felt it first chapter in manhwa as well) but you will learn about it in the later episodes. The fact that Yuri and Evan pop out of nowhere is indeed hard to follow. The story of the first season would have fitted perfect in a 24 episodes course (I don't get it why 24 eps seems to much to some people, because the story has a lot of dialogue and it's very important to the world building)
There wasn't presented any hidden power, just the sword lending it's power to the user (not the same thing).
Sep 2017
Outside of the Kevin Penkin soundtrack which slaps cheeks as expected the rest of the show is pretty underwhelming. The pacing was atrocious imo and the artstyle rubs me the wrong way. I'm not a reader of the manwha so I don't know what's going to happen but I'm staying because of the soundtrack.
Jul 2018
Am I the only one who noticed the AMAZING SOUNDTRACK. The music is sooooooo good. I liked the episode too but I obviously still have to watch more to decide if it's for me. I'm pretty sur it is cause I love shounen so much but let's see how it turns out. The soundtrack is incredible I can say this much.
Mar 2020
Good start to the series, a solid 8/10, really liked the OST and Bam's VA is quite good, though the part where he breaks the ball felt a bit off but was fine enough, looking forward to next episodes
Apr 1, 2020 10:03 AM
Jun 2017
SomeGuyWithHair said:

Khun is best girl and nothing you can say can convince me otherwise.
Apr 1, 2020 10:05 AM
Sep 2017
those 10's in the review just don't add up to the criticism it's receiving lol
Apr 1, 2020 10:06 AM
Jul 2019
Azaroth_of_Dale said:
SomeGuyWithHair said:

Khun is best girl and nothing you can say can convince me otherwise.

Khun's also great cause he's basically Killua from Hunter x Hunter. With Nobuhiko as Khun, he's already best boy.
Apr 1, 2020 10:10 AM

Aug 2012
Not bad, not great. A re imagining of the tower of Babel. The images in the beginning combine babylonian with greek - roman mythology. The attacking from inside cliche was cliche. I wonder what the trick at second floor is. Also since he is not a regular if anyone would kill him would not count. They are 401 people at the level at the start
Apr 1, 2020 10:11 AM
Jun 2017
neireatwing said:
Four 10/10 reviews for the first episode of this? Really?
Are we watched the same anime or maybe I saw broken version?

Awful character designs (especially mr. white rabbit), mediocre visuals, generic story (weak protagonist who don't know nothing about world gets super weapon and random asspull luck because reasons), fast pacing (I haven't read original webtoon but it still looks like they adapted 4-5 chapter from it into one episode). What is 10/10 here? I don't get it.
Yeah, soundtrack is pretty good, but that's all.

drop, give back 25 minutes of my life pls

I personally like the character designs, but either way, the art is basically universally agreed to improve dramatically as the story progresses.

DeadlyRavenApr 10, 2020 7:56 AM
Apr 1, 2020 10:12 AM
Nov 2019
It was OK - not great, it felt a bit rushed with some important info left out - like does he have one of those ball things with the scores on?

Hope it's not going to be this season's Arifureta/Assassins pride ie rushed to the point of ruining the story as squeezing 5.5 Chapters into Ep.1 seems a lot.

Not sure on the OP/ED but the soundtracks during the Ep. were good.

4/5 from me....
penrhosApr 1, 2020 10:15 AM
Apr 1, 2020 10:12 AM

Mar 2015
As a manhwa reader, I feel like I'm one of the few pre-existing fans that actually REALLY liked this episode. Sure, the OP didn't "look" the greatest, but honestly, the OP is supposed to be about the music imo, and the music was f*cking fantastic. I also heard that they will be adding more clips to the OP as the season goes on, so for anyone that has that complaint, I'd say hold ur horses for a little bucko. The same can be said if some of you thought this intro into the TOG world to be boring. TOG is known for world building, you can't build an entire world (a good one, that is) in just one episode (however, they did fit in a good amount of details for the first episode), trust me, it will get realll goooodddd. As far as the pacing, yeah for those that haven't read the manhwa, i can understand why it may feel rushed and you may feel bombarded with new information, but honestly most of the details mentioned in this episode are mentioned and talked about sooo many times throughout the story. I'm 100% positive many of you would be able to get used to the little quirks of the world as time goes on. Personally, I'm disappointed that they chose to adapt 6 chapters into one episode as well, but looking at this episode, they really didn't leave out any terribly important details at all... I think some of the other manhwa readers are being a little nit-picky.

As far as what I personally liked, Khun and Rak's voices are amazing!!!! I got so excited to see them this episode. Also, it was a little more gore than I expected, I guess I don't watch a whole lot of blood spatter filled anime so I wouldn't know if this is a common thing nowadays, but I really enjoyed that they chose to make it a little more intense in that way. The OST was perrrrrffffeeecccccttttt I loved every second of it. I guess it's as good as everyone expected, considering Kevin Penkin was in charge :-).

Lastly, I'm a little annoyed with the negativity coming from some anime only watchers talking about some details being left out, like "what were Bam and Rachel's life like before the tower" and "what does it matter that Yuri is a princess, why should I care?" and other odd questions and complaints like that. It's the first. episode. I wouldn't jump to conclusions already and think that things you deem important are gonna be left out already. just a little reminder there in case you forgot. Additonally, some of these details that you're asking about are things we didn't even learn about until later on as the story progresses.

Other than that, I hope to see everyone sticking around for more. I will be, and as much as the fast pacing may be a little disappointing to us manhwa readers, I still think the anime will be pretty decent. Maybe they'll even slow it down if it is able to get a second season.
mayaithApr 1, 2020 10:20 AM

"๐˜‹๐˜ฐ ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜บ๐˜ด ๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ต ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ท๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฅ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ฃ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ฌ ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ถ๐˜ต ๐˜ถ๐˜ฑ ๐˜ง๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ด๐˜ข๐˜ฌ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜ฐ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ด? ๐˜ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ’๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ, ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ’๐˜ด ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฐ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ธ๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฉ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ต."

Apr 1, 2020 10:16 AM
Aug 2018
neireatwing said:

Awful character designs (especially mr. white rabbit), mediocre visuals, generic story (weak protagonist who don't know nothing about world gets super weapon and random asspull luck because reasons), fast pacing (I haven't read original webtoon but it still looks like they adapted 4-5 chapter from it into one episode). What is 10/10 here? I don't get it.

How can you not read the webtoon and yet decide about the plot and the character designs?(For example mr white rabbit is actually on point) Everything will be explained if you have patience though in your case it doesnt seem like it. In any case i suggest you to wait until 3rd ep until dropping it but well thats only my advice you dont have to follow it :D have a great day.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
DeadlyRavenApr 10, 2020 7:56 AM
Apr 1, 2020 10:17 AM

Jul 2017
A bit fast, but man that was amazing. Felt like a movie watching it, so enthralling. Great visuals and music too. Very impressed, and the art is a significant step up from season 1 of the webtoon.
Apr 1, 2020 10:18 AM

Jul 2012
Ehh... So princess gives the mc who is a total stranger at this point some family heirloom legendary sword. And somehow MC activates it cuz "he has a cute face lul". I dont know how to feel about this. No explanation or introduction for anything either. I didn't read the original work so i can't compare but this felt like it had some directing errors...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 1, 2020 10:19 AM
Sep 2016
I knew it. I just knew it. EVERY TIME something gets so much hype from such a large loud crowd it always turns out to be some mediocre cliche-ridden generic battle shounen or iisekai type deal. I hate the anime community so much. Please overhype at least somewhat interesting series. Some creators are actually trying out here ugh anyways..

The writing so far aside, at least the soundtrack's great and I quite enjoy the visual direction (can't speak for everyone by the looks of it). Like the OP and ED - the songs specifically but that's probably the kpop trash within me talking lol - they're nice. Would be cool if the sequences provided the visuals to match.but my playlist will be happy.
Hopefully, the strengths in production can maintain my interest cause the story and characters don't. seem to be the selling points.
JudoJDApr 1, 2020 10:26 AM
1.1.Six
Apr 1, 2020 10:19 AM

Jul 2013
Damn, people see something new and different for once and immediately say it's bad without giving it a chance, smh

Anyway, the animation is really well done, you can actually see the work and quality of it and it creates a great atmosphere. The music and whole sound design is enjoyable, like actually hearing good songs for the op and ed instead of the usual flat pop stuff is such a nice change of pace ;;;

The pacing of the first episode seems a bit fast and you don't really know what's going on, but I'm super interested to see what's coming next
"The closer you get to the light the greater your shadow becomes."

Apr 1, 2020 10:26 AM

Mar 2015
Azaroth_of_Dale said:
neireatwing said:

I personally like the character designs, but either way, the art is basically universally agreed to improve dramatically as the story progresses.

However, I can understand why people may not like the animation... We all keep claiming that the art gets better (and it does), but some people may just not want to wait for it to... And others simply might not care. Either way, I'm a little sad that this anime is receiving so much negative judgement already :(

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.

DeadlyRavenApr 10, 2020 7:55 AM

"๐˜‹๐˜ฐ ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜บ๐˜ด ๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ต ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ท๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฅ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ฃ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ฌ ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ถ๐˜ต ๐˜ถ๐˜ฑ ๐˜ง๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ด๐˜ข๐˜ฌ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ง ๐˜ฐ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ด? ๐˜ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ’๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ ๐˜บ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ, ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ’๐˜ด ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฐ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ธ๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ธ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ฉ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ต."

Apr 1, 2020 10:27 AM
Jun 2017
Shadzzo said:
Ehh... So princess gives the mc who is a total stranger at this point some family heirloom legendary sword. And somehow MC activates it cuz "he has a cute face lul". I dont know how to feel about this. No explanation or introduction for anything either. I didn't read the original work so i can't compare but this felt like it had some directing errors...

Yeah, they cut out part of the explanation for why that happened. Some explanation of things that were cut out for people who haven't read the webtoon:

I'll add more to this if I remember any other details.

DeadlyRavenApr 10, 2020 7:54 AM
Apr 1, 2020 10:29 AM
Mar 2013
Ok, i'm pretty disapointed.

Yes, I knew it was gonna be fast paced but not like that.

They cut a lot of important things llike the conversation bewteen Yuri and Evan, why Irregulars are so special. But the thing that tickled me more was the disrespect they showed to Headon. He is one of the most mysterious beings in the Tower and in this adaptation is just like a filthy Pokemon. Not even a 3sec scene about how he tries to make it difficult for Bam, or how he plays the princess.

3/10 and i'm pretty generous

I really hope this effort don't go in vain.

Dec 2016
1Kyo said:
Kimurah said:

That's kind of the appeal, though. The watcher as well as the main character is dumped into a world we know nothing about. But you barely know anything about the main character's origin either. As the story progresses, the world expands and becomes more clear, and you also get to understand the main character more and more.

Tower of God is not a story like AoT or KnY that try to hook you with a single episode. It slowly becomes more captivating episode by episode as you learn more about the world and characters in it.

I certainly don't care that much for world looked thru a keyhole that blocks a huge percent of the actual view and I have to just patiently wait until the door opens to give me a better view.

KNY & AOT as formulaic they are in terms of origins, they both did a great job stablishing a status quo and expanding the world from there. With Tower of God to me it feels like an empty world with character popping out left & right. I personally need an anchor, a hook, something to grab me and give me a reason to watch more or be intrigued. The whole setting with a protagonist suffering from amnesia feels like such a cheap cliche from the 90s and 2000s, I particuarly don't have more then 2 or 3 memorable character with this cheap trait in all my years of watching anime.

Like I said, I'll watch some more, but I'm not expecting much
Jun 2017
JudoJD said:
I knew it. I just knew it. EVERY TIME something gets so much hype from such a large loud crowd it always turns out to be some mediocre cliche-ridden generic battle shounen or iisekai type deal. I hate the anime community so much. Please overhype at least somewhat interesting series. Some creators are actually trying out here ugh anyways..

The writing so far aside, at least the soundtrack's great and I quite enjoy the visual direction (can't speak for everyone by the looks of it). Like the OP and ED - the songs specifically but that's probably the kpop trash within me talking lol - they're nice. Would be cool if the sequences provided the visuals to match.but my playlist will be happy.
Hopefully, the strengths in production can maintain my interest cause the story and characters don't. seem to be the selling points.

Honestly, the main appeal of Tower of God is the story and world building. To be fair, this episode didn't do a great job of representing that (which is why you can see a lot of people who have read the webtoon have been complaining about stuff that was cut out), but in the webtoon as well, the story only gets better as it goes.

Keep in mind that for a show to have well-developed characters, an intricate world, and intriguing narrative, it necessarily is going to take more than one episode.
Azaroth_of_DaleApr 1, 2020 10:33 AM
Apr 1, 2020 10:30 AM

Mar 2015
JudoJD said:

That's quite the harsh judgement for only the first episode...

Apr 1, 2020 10:31 AM

Jul 2012
Azaroth_of_Dale said:
Shadzzo said:

Yeah, they cut out part of the explanation for why that happened. Some explanation of things that were cut out for people who haven't read the webtoon:

I'll add more to this if I remember any other details.

That explains a lot actually and made the beginning much clearer. Thank you!

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
DeadlyRavenApr 10, 2020 7:54 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 1, 2020 10:36 AM
Sep 2016
neireatwing said:

neireatwing said:

Welcome to the anime community. First time here?
sigh
1.1.Six
Pages (13) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kami no Tou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Marinate1016 - May 6, 2020

315 by TrippyPepper »»
Sep 11, 9:46 PM

Poll: » Kami no Tou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

SingleH - Jun 24, 2020

475 by Warchiii »»
Sep 5, 4:34 AM

Poll: » Kami no Tou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jun 17, 2020

464 by Apreggi »»
Aug 18, 11:47 PM

Poll: » Kami no Tou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Jun 10, 2020

211 by Apreggi »»
Aug 18, 11:01 PM

Poll: » Kami no Tou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kyle_Kirchner - Jun 3, 2020

262 by Apreggi »»
Aug 18, 10:23 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.