Forum Settings
Forums

Adjusting Scores Over Time Due To "Staying Power"?

New
Jan 27, 2020 12:07 PM

Oct 2017
[EDIT: Some people, even after (apparently) reading the OP, don't get what I mean by "staying power". I just chose that phrase to generally mean how good something seems to you over time. Something with low staying power would fade from memory more because (maybe) it wasn't actually that good. Something with strong staying power may actually seeme better when looking back at it over time for whatever reason.]

Bit of a generic topic that's probably been done similarly before, but I'm curious and want to be able to frame the topic how I want.

I very regularly look at my list and adjust scores. To me, staying power is important. I might give something at 8/9 when I finish it, but when I look back at it months later, if it doesn't ellicit the same emotional response, and I don't feel so much affinity for it, then it goes down.

Sometimes, though less often, an anime might go up in score. This is usually the case for a show which I didn't enjoy so much when I finished it, but it's stuck with me so strongly that it sticks out among the other shows in the tier, so goes up.

I want to know:
How important is "staying power" to you?
Is it something you adjust your scores for?
Is it just a form of nostalgia and the first impression is what should matter?
YossaRedMageJan 28, 2020 6:18 AM
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jan 27, 2020 12:11 PM

Sep 2018
I change my scores rarely. Some anime I feel divided over giving either a 7 or 8. If I change my mind on a score later I fix it.
Jan 27, 2020 12:19 PM

May 2016
I change my scores occasionally. Usually whatever I give a show when I finish it is a bit inflated and after a week I can evaluate think about it again more clearly. I do go through my older scores as well and adjust those too sometimes.

Jan 27, 2020 12:25 PM

Apr 2015
Wtf is "staying power"?? Do u mean plot progression consistency or ur own consistency to not drop the series?

Well, i super often change the score based on how the plot progress. But if i finish the series i rarely change the score again.

Try reading Spy x Family Manga ^_^
U will love it, i promise...
Jan 27, 2020 12:29 PM

Jan 2018
lswarmruler said:
Wtf is "staying power"?? Do u mean plot progression consistency or ur own consistency to not drop the series?

Well, i super often change the score based on how the plot progress. But if i finish the series i rarely change the score again.

They probably mean how it aged and or how long it's affected you.
What a beautiful Duwang
Jan 27, 2020 12:30 PM

Dec 2015
I very rarely change my Ratings. And when I do, I usually give it a lower score than before, because I rated them too high right after finishing the last episode because I was too hyped/emotional.

But there were 2 or 3 instances so far where I gave a show a better rating after a few years because I feel like I've learnt to appreciate it more since the time I first watched them.

So not really "Staying Power" but "Seeing things from a different point of view after some time has passed" for me.
Jan 27, 2020 12:34 PM
May 2019
Use to get really OCD over scores and adjust them all the time, not so much this days.
Problem with rating anime solely based on emotions they elicit is that you are not necessarily going to be able to replicate them on the subsequent watches, this is one of the reasons why it is better to score anime more critically and as objectively as possible.
Jan 27, 2020 12:35 PM

Nov 2019
Actually I change my ratings quite a lot. When I complete half court of an anime, I give it a rating. Then I change it whenever required for every next episode. At the end, the rating which stays at the last episode stays my rating.

Maybe that's why, FMAB is 1 of the 2 the only long enough anime with a 10 in my list. Heck, I couldn't deduct a single rating throughout it's long run.

(I watched HxH way before I joined MAL. And it was always a 10/10)
Biswa_29Jan 27, 2020 12:38 PM
SAO PROGRESSIVE ANIME HYPE
Jan 27, 2020 12:44 PM

Jan 2009
i dont get it if you do not change your scores frequently then that is staying power already

so ye i rarely change my scores but when i do i usually change the scores of every anime on my list
Jan 27, 2020 12:44 PM

May 2009
I went with "I change my scores at least sometimes, and "staying power" is a consideration.". I'm not sure if I picked the right one, because...

YossaRedMage said:
Bit of a generic topic that's probably been done similarly before, but I'm curious and want to be able to frame the topic how I want.

I very regularly look at my list and adjust scores. To me, staying power is important. I might give something at 8/9 when I finish it, but when I look back at it months later, if it doesn't ellicit the same emotional response, and I don't feel so much affinity for it, then it goes down.
I do adjust scores a little bit based on how much I appreciate them, particularly if I think about a work a while after I've watched it, and especially if I come to a greater appreciation for it.

I don't intentionally revisit all (or a bunch of) my scores en masse, though; this is pretty much on a series by series basis as I think of them. And also I don't explicitly think of "staying power" as a factor; the closest term I use is probably "fondness", which influences how I feel about something.

This also kinda goes with how I often don't rate immediately after I've finished something, so I'm technically "changing" the rating simply by giving it a score for the first time.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 27, 2020 3:44 PM
Jul 2018
At least my 8-10s shouldn't be given away too easily, so I adjust the scores, so not every third anime and manga gets these scores. I just want to emphasize what really stood out to me personally.
Jan 27, 2020 7:39 PM

Jun 2012
Staying Power............LOL

On a serious note, no, I don't change the scores. Even though I know myself that I don't really agree with the me from the past how he rated those anime anymore.

I like it to stay as it is so when I look at my list from time to time, it serves as history lesson to me.
Jan 28, 2020 12:12 AM

May 2018
This Staying Power thingy sounds like "With time I started to appreciate it better". It's a natural thing also it's fair to change the score of those titles.
alshuJan 29, 2020 12:42 AM
Jan 28, 2020 1:50 AM

Mar 2015
Yep I used to change my scores a lot back when I still scored my anime. I tend to have pretty big recency bias so whenever I finished an anime I'd give it a really high score just to completely forget about it a week later. Then when I looked back on it, I noticed that said anime just didn't hold up with the others of the same score.
Jan 28, 2020 1:54 AM

Apr 2013
I rarely change my score again, even though I have some highly rated stuff on there and I'm sure these would lose some points. But I can't be bothered to rewatch and rerate them again, my list is way too long for that.
Jan 28, 2020 2:10 AM

Nov 2010
I don't change scores that often, but when I change I think this "staying power" is one of the factors. Or maybe it's more like how memorable the series was, especially it's good points. Other factors would be my taste that has changed a bit and also having more shows to compare, I think i'm bit pickier.
Jan 28, 2020 5:48 AM

Oct 2019
I only change scores to fit what I believe is the correct score, which a majority of them is in the 5-6 range (average)
I know some anime I watched when I was younger I would rate a 10, but now would rate a simple 5.
Jan 28, 2020 6:26 AM

Oct 2017
Xstasy said:
Use to get really OCD over scores and adjust them all the time, not so much this days.
Problem with rating anime solely based on emotions they elicit is that you are not necessarily going to be able to replicate them on the subsequent watches, this is one of the reasons why it is better to score anime more critically and as objectively as possible.

Interesting. But why is it important that something be as good on subsequent watches? The first time you experience something is almost always going to be the best emotionally. I don't see how that's a problem.

I'm not really advocating for changing scores based on rewatch value, so much as how fondly one remembers the anime. I definitely wouldn't enjoy Clannad as much on a rewatch, but I wouldn't lower my rating because of that. The value of the initial experience is super important. I guess my point with the concept of "staying power" is how well that initial experience sticks with you.

I would go as far to say I don't consider "rewatch value" barely at all.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jan 28, 2020 6:32 AM

Mar 2012
I rarely change my score but on the very rare occassion i do i generally do them at least a few years after i first watched them, this would give me a better perspective to judge them fairly as sometime certain titles would not reflect on me at the time or im still hyped from after it ended etc after awhile i think i would be in a position to better judge it.

Jan 28, 2020 6:49 AM

Jan 2019
I do this all the time. Usually because my criteria is becoming more refined. So it's good to go back and see how it has stuck with me, because you're right, emotional memory is huge. An anime I loved when watching it could be one I completely forget after a few years. So they, despite how good they are, couldn't possibly be an 8,9, or 10.
"Whether you're sad, you're hurt, or empty, you have to keep playing."

Jan 28, 2020 7:02 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017

Usually the score an anime I watch has by the last episode will be its final score. (I score shows about every 3-6 episodes, so just because I score something a 6 at episode 3, that doesn't mean it can't get an 8 by episode 13 or 24)

The only time I may adjust a score sometime after I finish an anime is when I was doubting between 2 scores close together (Say 5 and 6, or 7 and 8) and realize that what I gave it doesn't match up with the others in that range.
But I don't think I ever changed a score months or even years after I watched it.
Jan 28, 2020 7:53 AM

Nov 2009
I've changed my scores a couple of times for some titles that I've watched some 15 years ago because those scores were much too naive in hindsight.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jan 28, 2020 8:13 AM

Nov 2015
YossaRedMage said:
[EDIT: Some people, even after (apparently) reading the OP, don't get what I mean by "staying power". I just chose that phrase to generally mean how good something seems to you over time. Something with low staying power would fade from memory more because (maybe) it wasn't actually that good. Something with strong staying power may actually seem better when looking back at it over time for whatever reason.]

I very regularly look at my list and adjust scores. To me, staying power is important. I might give something at 8/9 when I finish it, but when I look back at it months later, if it doesn't elicit the same emotional response, and I don't feel so much affinity for it, then it goes down.

Sometimes, though less often, an anime might go up in score. This is usually the case for a show which I didn't enjoy so much when I finished it, but it's stuck with me so strongly that it sticks out among the other shows in the tier, so goes up.

I want to know:
How important is "staying power" to you?
Is it something you adjust your scores for?
Is it just a form of nostalgia and the first impression is what should matter?

This is actually a really cool topic.

I do change my scores all the time - I made it a sort of annual thing to go through my list and adjust all of my series - and I think the staying power of a show is an important part of that.
I'm somewhat worried about recency bias, and the tendency for me to give high scores to series I've just finished (or very low scores for things I disliked). So in order to get around this I just decided it was easier if I only scored series within a very narrow scale (5-7), and then re-score them after a time. Every new series I finish during the year will either get a 7 if I loved it, a 5 if I didn't like it, or a 6 if I didn't feel strongly either way. When I go through my list and rank all of my anime, the staying power of all the new series I finished within the last year help me properly place them. Most of them end up getting scored higher because of quality and staying power, but some of them might get moved lower simply because they were pretty forgettable and/or can't compare to other series with the same score.

I'm not sure if it's for nostalgia, exactly. To me it's more like how strongly I remember what happened when I watched it, and also how likely I am to want to re-watch it later on.
Jan 28, 2020 9:00 AM
May 2019
YossaRedMage said:
Xstasy said:

Interesting. But why is it important that something be as good on subsequent watches? The first time you experience something is almost always going to be the best emotionally. I don't see how that's a problem.

I'm not really advocating for changing scores based on rewatch value, so much as how fondly one remembers the anime. I definitely wouldn't enjoy Clannad as much on a rewatch, but I wouldn't lower my rating because of that. The value of the initial experience is super important. I guess my point with the concept of "staying power" is how well that initial experience sticks with you.

I would go as far to say I don't consider "rewatch value" barely at all.

My point was that if you score things solely based on emotion your scores are not necessarily going to be representation of what you think of that anime right now.
As you watch more and more anime taste changes, evolves, becomes more refined.
Problem with initial experience is that over time it's going to succumb to tunnel vision and nostalgia effect it's a form of confirmation bias when you only remember the highlights and forget the bad stuff.
That is one of the main reasons why older anime is better than modern argument exists and is so prevalent.

The problem with judging anime solely on emotions is that those emotions are affected by external factors and it's also relativistic.
Even if we could somehow forget what we watched, and watch it all over again that experience would be different so in a way I agree that initial experience can not be replicated since it's influenced by external factors at the time of viewing but as such it's volatile it's subject of change that is one of main reasons why professional critics try to critique things in a more objective manner by using various techniques and methods of critical evaluation.

There are numerous reasons why you would want to rewatch a show like you found it confusing first time around so you want to watch it again in hopes of it become clearer, you can watch anime from different perspective which can allow you to see anime in a completely different light, you liked it so much that you want to experience it all over again, maybe you watched it long time ago and vaguely remember what was going on so you want to refresh memory of the anime.

In my opinion truly great anime should be enjoyable on subsequent watches, and if they are not that can only mean that they never were that good to begin with.
There are usually reasons why certain anime are less enjoyable on 2nd watch and more on 1st and by evaluating anime more critically those reasons become more apparent.

For instance many anime in a mystery genre rely on the effect of mystery box, you watch them in order to figure out what is in the mystery box, but once the mystery is revealed such anime lose all of their appeal the same can be said about anime that you watch for the excitement of what is going to happen next.

First impressions for such anime would be deceptive while they appear to be enjoyable and good on the surface, subsequent watches would reveal all of their flaws, they are not because they rely on gimmicks instead of good writing and characterization.

Jan 28, 2020 11:25 AM

Oct 2008
I never or extremely rarely change my scores. First impression is what matters.

Personally I avoid changing scores. Since to me that is the same as denying the person I was when I watched the anime in question. As well as my opinion on it at that time.
Jan 28, 2020 11:43 AM

Jun 2016
I'd say staying power is very important. In fact it's a big reason as to why I don't consider enjoyment when I rate things ~ it's too transient to hold up fully in memory for long, and what does hold up (for me at least) are the reasons why I did or didn't appreciate something. That said, I don't change ratings very often. Typically I'll take a period of time to reflect on whatever I'm rating before I settle on one.

zieek said:
Personally I avoid changing scores. Since to me that is the same as denying the person I was when I watched the anime in question. As well as my opinion on it at that time.

That's an interesting take. Would you say your list represents the past you growing into the current you? For me changing a score is more about accepting the current me than denying the past me, and I'll notate when I change scores and what past scores were so I don't forget what I thought in the past, but your approach seems to give the past more permanence.
Jan 28, 2020 11:54 AM

Nov 2016
Early on I adjusted my scores from time to time, simply because I grew more experienced and could compare things better with each other. As by now I got a good grasp on how impactful something was and how long it's going to stay with me. If something managed to blow me away while watching I'm surely gonna remember it even a few months afterwards.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 28, 2020 11:51 PM

Oct 2008
TK8878 said:

That's an interesting take. Would you say your list represents the past you growing into the current you? For me changing a score is more about accepting the current me than denying the past me, and I'll notate when I change scores and what past scores were so I don't forget what I thought in the past, but your approach seems to give the past more permanence.

Yes it does represent the me from then, to the person I am now. Also if it seems my approach gives more permanence to the past, it doesn't, actually the scores I gave in the past and I no longer agree with now, serve to remind me that I have matured since then. It shows me I will continue to develop/refine my tastes. So I will continue to restrain myself when it comes to changing scores of anime from the past. Because the progress I make as I continue to watch anime will be less tangible in my opinion.

More topics from this board

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film.

Old_School_Akira - 5 hours ago

22 by luckyrune »»
11 minutes ago

» What Anime has the most genres & themes on MAL?

Zarutaku - 5 hours ago

3 by LenRea »»
43 minutes ago

» What anime you think was carried by a single character?

Shizuna - 11 hours ago

46 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
1 hour ago

» Is it still cool to hate moe? ( 1 2 3 )

Ahegyao - Mar 25, 2021

104 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
2 hours ago

» How do people finish anime they consider bad? ( 1 2 3 )

Rinrinka - Jun 8

100 by Timeline_man »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.