Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »
Oct 8, 2018 10:04 AM
Mar 2018
Fappa said:
SNDT said:

I know, right? I died when I saw this bullshit. He hit his leg and that guy lost consciousness??? Just swing your fucking umbrella and keep him at a distance.

Who the hell is saying he lost consciousness? He went for the leg, incapacitated him, Johnny lost balance and fell. If you don't have the intent to kill someone go for what keeps them up & running which are the legs.

Hmm, let me think. Maybe because it was depicted this way in the fucking anime?

Oct 8, 2018 10:39 AM
Nov 2014
So who else noticed the Kureha and Zelinka cameos?

I wonder if this means Rain, Seven, Premiere, Philia, and/or Strea will cameo as well.
Oct 8, 2018 10:47 AM
Oct 2012
ShogunSean said:

I wonder if this means Rain, Seven, Premiere, Philia, and/or Strea will cameo as well.

please no more girls ... if it's just a cameo it's all fine, but them actually having a role in the anime... i hope anime don't do such a thing. they should stay in the game, we don't need any more girl or fanservice

fortunately kirito and asuna are a couple and keep on making progress in the story. so it's not a generic harem.

but we don't need extra valuable Anime EP to be used for other girls or fanservice because the novel is already big as it is and need all the 50 ep to cover everything.
Oct 8, 2018 10:50 AM
Nov 2014
Pedram said:
ShogunSean said:

please no more girls ... if it's just a cameo it's all fine, but them actually having a role in the anime... i hope anime don't do such a thing. they should stay in the game, we don't need any more girl or fanservice

fortunately kirito and asuna are a couple and keep on making progress in the story. so it's not a generic harem.

but we don't need extra valuable Anime EP to be used for other girls or fanservice because the novel is already big as it is and need all the 50 ep to cover everything.

I doubt they will be used more than just a cameo. They're all game-original characters and I would assume they'd have no place in a light novel adaptation.

Still, makes me wonder if they're trying to at least canonize them (at least in the anime,) or if after Alicization ends there will be anime-original content involving the game girls.
Oct 8, 2018 11:24 AM
Oct 2012
SNDT said:
Fappa said:

Who the hell is saying he lost consciousness? He went for the leg, incapacitated him, Johnny lost balance and fell. If you don't have the intent to kill someone go for what keeps them up & running which are the legs.

I am not sure what happened to this guy in novel...
I remember in novel all focus was on kirito,

I liked in novel better tbh, Kirito tell Asuna to go back and bring help while he stall him with umbrella !
Asuna run back a bit while yelling for help and thinking maybe she should go back so they can attack Johnny together !

Johnny yell and say : Hey Flash ! Tell everyone Johnny Black is the one who finally killed Black Swordman !

then she hear a high pressure syringe sound like a opening the cap of Pepsi or something after its shaken, so she look back, and what she see is exactly what we see in last scene in Anime.

Kirito and Johhny Black felling to the ground, Syringe in Kirito's left shoulder and Umbralla in Johnny's thigh.

then she call ambulance as ppl and 1 police came since she was shouting for help before.

then i don't remember any mention of johnny... only asuna's devastating thought in the ambulance and telling them the name of drug etc

No idea why they changed it in anime a bit, novel was better.

btw, to the guy complaining how the fuck johnny found them, in novel johnny said he found agil's shop 5 month ago and been monitoring it for 5 months to finally get revenge on kirito !

pretty much all these LC guys are crazy maniacs and this guy was the last one remaining.
Oct 8, 2018 12:32 PM

May 2016
So I finally got around to watching this and here's my honest opinion. The first half was excellent but the second half... pretty much reminded me why I never liked SAO as a whole. And that is I have no reason to care about it.

Action is overdone and cheesy, trying way too hard be like The Matrix like every other action movie these days. The characters are still a bunch of selfish brats who are trying way to hard to be something they're not. The mains have more of less cut themselves off from reality. And much as I do like Asuna I still can't for the life of me figure out what exactly she sees in Kirito. That guy is still the egotistical jerk he's been since day one.

I'll give this a few more episodes but I sincerely don't believe that it's going to change my overall opinion about SAO.
"You talk too much. Think too much."
"I don't care how justified you think your reasons are. I won't tolerate liars or thieves."
"If you're not going to be nice to me, don't expect me to be nice to you."
"I'm a soldier, not a superhero. Don't ever think of me as one."
"The world doesn't revolve around you. Get that through your thick skull."
"People who live by their emotions go nowhere in their lives. They only find misery.
"If you don't like the way your life is than do something about it instead of sitting there feeling sorry for yourself."
"You want something go get it. Period."
Oct 8, 2018 1:09 PM
Oct 2017
I saw that this season was coming out from livechart.me, and I got super excited. After watching this first episode, I can definitely say I'm still interested and I wanna see how Alicization will progress.

Oct 8, 2018 2:34 PM

Feb 2016
average to good episode i guess
Oct 8, 2018 2:52 PM

Jun 2016

Philia? Hollow Fragment Animation confirmed? Hopefully...
Oct 8, 2018 4:24 PM

Feb 2018
Shymander said:
For those of you who have read the light novel, the first episode covers Prologue I, Prologue II, and the Interlude. I do briefly discuss some aspects of the adaptation in my article here.
No wonder why the episode was 47+ minutes.
Oct 8, 2018 4:36 PM

Apr 2015
SNDT said:

In the danger of either feeding a troll or simply a person with a slight lack of comprehension.
I don't exactly see how a 2 second shot of "oh both fell down to the floor" that is supposed to display the situation right after the physical confrontation counts as knocked out. That's some high tier reaching.
Oct 8, 2018 5:07 PM

Jun 2016
DirectorK said:
So I finally got around to watching this and here's my honest opinion. The first half was excellent but the second half... pretty much reminded me why I never liked SAO as a whole. And that is I have no reason to care about it.

Action is overdone and cheesy, trying way too hard be like The Matrix like every other action movie these days. The characters are still a bunch of selfish brats who are trying way to hard to be something they're not. The mains have more of less cut themselves off from reality. And much as I do like Asuna I still can't for the life of me figure out what exactly she sees in Kirito. That guy is still the egotistical jerk he's been since day one.

I'll give this a few more episodes but I sincerely don't believe that it's going to change my overall opinion about SAO.

The GGO part was anime original (probably the director's choice, lol), that wasnt in the light novel at all.
Oct 8, 2018 7:42 PM

Jan 2015
i've read up through what most of the op references in the light novel. it's funny how similar this looks to how i imagined it in my head lol. pretty fun, still silly ol' SAO
Oct 8, 2018 8:50 PM

Aug 2012
Fappa said:

He went down and didn't react in pain just like kirito.

Not if he has a syringe in his hand that will kill you. Aiming for the legs is perhaps the stupidest thing you could do since it puts your face and body within range of his weapon. As @SNDT said

SNDT said:
Just swing your fucking umbrella
Oct 8, 2018 9:10 PM

Apr 2018
I will never understand how deflecting bullets with a saber in a game is dumb especially if the game let you see the trajectory of the bullets
And as far as i am aware off it ain't that overpowerd
They do the same shit in star wars which isn't even supposed to be a game world
Oct 8, 2018 9:14 PM

May 2012
wow that was awful, predictable as hell, next to no real development, fancy words to make it seem smart, I needed 5 shots to make it through this 50 minute shit fest... yay... solid 2/10 at best
frequency15kOct 9, 2018 7:17 AM
Oct 8, 2018 9:35 PM

Oct 2008
I'm only here just because of Yuki Kajiura's OSTs!

Oct 8, 2018 9:43 PM

Aug 2010
Was far more interested in the first half and started losing interest the second half. Gonna watch this mostly to see what happens next on that side...
Oct 8, 2018 11:06 PM

Apr 2015
As usual, won't read much of the comments knowing how MAL community as a whole is looking at this series.

If I were anime only watcher then I would've been really satisfied with what they done here. But since, I read the ninth book, I already knew some of the information shown and while the adaptation is definitely faithful, it lacks the interesting POV, LN readers were used to.

On OP's side ... that hand shake between Eugeo and Kirito is worth all the gold in the world !! Can't wait to see their friendship blossom :3
Oct 9, 2018 12:55 AM

Oct 2011
Perfect pacing. Everything was awesome apart from the bad trimming of the Fluctlight explanation and the slow motion stabbing at the end (should have happened faster and a bit less battle-ish)

Oct 9, 2018 1:02 AM

Nov 2016
Bad episode. 2/10. Yuki Kajiura is still good though.
Oct 9, 2018 2:40 AM
Aug 2017
Nothing really happened in this episode to tell a vote from 0 to 10. This anime just started.

Anyway I can tell that drawings and animations seem pretty good, some points of my future vote go there.
Oct 9, 2018 6:45 AM

Nov 2013
Fappa said:
SNDT said:

In the danger of either feeding a troll or simply a person with a slight lack of comprehension.
I don't exactly see how a 2 second shot of "oh both fell down to the floor" that is supposed to display the situation right after the physical confrontation counts as knocked out. That's some high tier reaching.
Just let it go. Back in S2 there was an argument that Sinon killing that drugged dude was bs because kids can't do that, then when people pulled videos and articles about kids that were even younger than she was pulling more insane shit it didn't change anything. You can't win.
Oct 9, 2018 6:49 AM

Mar 2018
The first episode is pretty good. In fact it probably exceeded the quality of any of the episodes that the second season of this series provided. I want to hope that this quality will be consistent throughout the 2 cours, but judging from the previous seasons, I don't think I should get my hopes high. But hey, they say you can dream big, right?
Oct 9, 2018 6:55 AM
Oct 2018
I have been waiting for years for s3 to come out.I totally love the first part, the kid versions of kirito,eugo and alice are so cute (I personally think that it's kirito's fault that alice got taken away, though i don't really care since that'll be the starter up of the alicization arc) i love the new animation of s3 it's better than the old vers (personal opinion) i also love the new op title ADAMAS im also waiting for the ed to come (did anybody notice that alice tripped in the beginning of the op?) about the second part... The second part is also good i got to see GGO in s3, plus the GGO character of asuna (totally loved it) the only thing is that kirito is pretty damn weak in reality... A guy holding something that looks like an inhaler (idk if inhaler is the right term lol) against kirito holding an umbrella, if you think who's at the advantage it's kirito since the umbrella is longer he could've avoided that attack if he took a stance then parried it. Since johny black isn't any better than kirito, all i can see from him is an idiot to just charge directly to an opponent, plus he's so weak that poking an umbrella in his thighs is enough to bring him down (im sorry for johny black lovers out there but i can't see where you all are looking at) i love the alicization arc since this is the best arc of the LN, i'll wait next week for the next ep (i already know what's ganna happen next ep)
Oct 9, 2018 8:47 AM

Feb 2016
Huh, didn't even knew that a new season was coming out lmao, but I'll take it. This was definitely better than the last two seasons for me, although it still has some of the cliche moments that I hate from the last seasons. Haven't read the LNs but Underworld looks like a really good arc, can't wait to see more episodes of it.
I click circles.
Oct 9, 2018 9:20 AM

Feb 2014
Guess this is the start of a really good adaptation that we were looking forward too. The visuals are stunning and the characters intro seem cool too.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Oct 9, 2018 9:20 AM
Oct 2012
ryu_akashi said:
I have been waiting for years for s3 to come out.I totally love the first part, the kid versions of kirito,eugo and alice are so cute (I personally think that it's kirito's fault that alice got taken away, though i don't really care since that'll be the starter up of the alicization arc) i love the new animation of s3 it's better than the old vers (personal opinion) i also love the new op title ADAMAS im also waiting for the ed to come (did anybody notice that alice tripped in the beginning of the op?) about the second part... The second part is also good i got to see GGO in s3, plus the GGO character of asuna (totally loved it) the only thing is that kirito is pretty damn weak in reality... A guy holding something that looks like an inhaler (idk if inhaler is the right term lol) against kirito holding an umbrella, if you think who's at the advantage it's kirito since the umbrella is longer he could've avoided that attack if he took a stance then parried it. Since johny black isn't any better than kirito, all i can see from him is an idiot to just charge directly to an opponent, plus he's so weak that poking an umbrella in his thighs is enough to bring him down (im sorry for johny black lovers out there but i can't see where you all are looking at) i love the alicization arc since this is the best arc of the LN, i'll wait next week for the next ep (i already know what's ganna happen next ep)

I doubt there is any Johnny Black fans anywhere lol unless Kirito haters love him hahaha

tbh I agree with you that this scene is a bit stretching it. not perfect obviously. but they tried to make it as logical as possible, there is many reason to back it up why Kirito failed. let me explain briefly :

Oct 9, 2018 9:53 AM

Aug 2016
The good thing in the second half of the episode(aside form of course, Sinon) is that we'll go back to what happens in the first part. I enjoyed that the first part had like a fresh start coz I'm fed up with some of the cast tbh(still rip aincrad).

"... Because when you live in this world of my closed eyes...
... Being alone is very lonely..."

Oct 9, 2018 10:53 AM

Jun 2017
That was a great episode. But tbh I am slightly disappointed in that they skipped a lot of casual talk between the three children in the first half. It really helped giving an idea about the underworld and made the scene where Alice is taken away much more emotional. The anime original ggo scene wasn't necessary imo. They should have used that time to show more about Rulid village.
Oct 9, 2018 1:12 PM

May 2018
Ok we see new characters here Eugeo and Alice, but wtf, can we call this a sequel of the original SAO franchise or is this a spin off of the SAO franchise??????

The part where they have to go to a cave for some ice to keep the food longer was just too stupid to start this anime, they should have just eat it before it spoils.

Ok next part they're in GGO and two of them were doing Jedi stuff to them enemies
Oct 9, 2018 1:25 PM
Oct 2017
Accordind to MAL, It's going to be aired from oct2018 to sep2019, and as you saw, the first episode has a duration of 47min.. I don't know what to expect from this season, but I'm glad sao is back.
Oct 9, 2018 2:30 PM

Apr 2016
Why do they keep making this garbage?
sage
Oct 9, 2018 7:19 PM
Oct 2018
Is it worth watching? I didn't like the first and the second season. So is it any better?
Dont take me as a hater of SAO
Oct 9, 2018 9:07 PM

Mar 2014
Oh my god they killed Kirito.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Oct 9, 2018 9:39 PM

Mar 2009
I normally hate the 47-minute episodes they like they do every now and then at the start of the new anime season, considering there are so many shows per season, and it's difficult to make time for such a long episode. However, it flew by. Pretty intriguing start, honestly, even though it feels like I should have watched the movie beforehand.
Oct 9, 2018 10:05 PM

Dec 2013
A weird first episode with a random ending.
Oct 9, 2018 11:33 PM

Jun 2016
DirectorK said:

The GGO part was anime original (probably the director's choice, lol), that wasnt in the light novel at all.

GGO was absolute filling HAHAHA
Oct 10, 2018 1:11 AM
Sep 2012
weird ending, but it looks okay overall.
Oct 10, 2018 6:35 AM

Jun 2016
JiangHaoyi1979 said:
Ok we see new characters here Eugeo and Alice, but wtf, can we call this a sequel of the original SAO franchise or is this a spin off of the SAO franchise??????

The part where they have to go to a cave for some ice to keep the food longer was just too stupid to start this anime, they should have just eat it before it spoils.

Ok next part they're in GGO and two of them were doing Jedi stuff to them enemies

Its a sequel and the longest arc in SAO.
Also, they are children and dont want to have to eat the food everyday without even having time to taste it properly because they have been doing so since forever. It was explained better in the ln and they cut a lot of dialogue in the first episode already. The first half is going to be super important for the entire arc (50 episodes or so), so if they just ate the plot wouldnt have advanved, thats simple.
About GGO, it was an anime only original scene probably to have more action in the first episode. If you have problems with them being op, dont, because kirito gets fucked a lot in fights on this arc.
Oct 10, 2018 1:23 PM

May 2018

Ok so Kirito was injected with poison via syringe, and he stabbed the guy with an umbrella on the leg, that was the shiitiest way to fight , if the guy used poison then the poison would need some time to go around the circulatory system which means Kirito would still be able to do some MMA moves on that guy and the guy getting stabbed on his leg wouldn't be enough to kill him or disable him and would still be able to duke out with Kirito, Damn producers and that original creator, they should've armed the guy with an actual gun and Kirito should have just made a run together with Asuna , and then at the corner alley Kirito should wait for the guy and wrestle his gun which popped out a BANG hitting Kirito in the stomach by was able to get the gun from the guy a popped a few shots on him and Asuna should've have been calling 911 or whatever the fuck was their emergency number , would have been a nice death for Kirito to die on arrival in a hospital. That is if it was intended for him to die.
Oct 10, 2018 2:48 PM

Jan 2013
1st ep around 40min? ain't nobody got time for that. i'm soo exhausted. dropped this s-word after 30sec in when i realised how long it would be. sure fate/zero and stay night pulled a stunt like that with their first episodes respectively but sao got nothing in this aspect. the world building has already been established. why drag it out like such. can't be arsed to watch the followups anymore.
Oct 10, 2018 2:58 PM
Oct 2012
JiangHaoyi1979 said:

Ok so Kirito was injected with poison via syringe, and he stabbed the guy with an umbrella on the leg, that was the shiitiest way to fight , if the guy used poison then the poison would need some time to go around the circulatory system which means Kirito would still be able to do some MMA moves on that guy and the guy getting stabbed on his leg wouldn't be enough to kill him or disable him and would still be able to duke out with Kirito, Damn producers and that original creator, they should've armed the guy with an actual gun and Kirito should have just made a run together with Asuna , and then at the corner alley Kirito should wait for the guy and wrestle his gun which popped out a BANG hitting Kirito in the stomach by was able to get the gun from the guy a popped a few shots on him and Asuna should've have been calling 911 or whatever the fuck was their emergency number , would have been a nice death for Kirito to die on arrival in a hospital. That is if it was intended for him to die.

I agree with you this scene is a bit of an stretch, plus they tried to make it more dramatic too lol although it's not that bad, i explained above in this same page.

anyway, they had to do it this way tho, with Gun and Kirito getting hit by a gun would not work.
coz author need to make kirito's body be fine but be in a comma coz of brain damage lol ( lack of blood )
Plus Johnny Black is a expert in using poison weapon, probably know how to use it better than a gun.

That Drug is a Fast acting muscle relaxing drug, isn't really a poison, but instantly relax all of kirito's muscle including heart, so it make him lose conscious and get brain damage coz of lack of blood to the brain and die after a few min.
Oct 10, 2018 3:05 PM
Oct 2012
HibiChika said:
1st ep around 40min? ain't nobody got time for that. i'm soo exhausted. dropped this s-word after 30sec in when i realised how long it would be. sure fate/zero and stay night pulled a stunt like that with their first episodes respectively but sao got nothing in this aspect. the world building has already been established. why drag it out like such. can't be arsed to watch the followups anymore.

I'm surprised you can be arsed to come to a discussion forum for this anime EP1 and give a comment about actually not even watching the Ep1 :|

This Ep is a build up for the biggest arc in SAO, Volume 9 to 18 ! ( 19 and 20 is also side story about this arc )

plus Ep1 is only prologue and interlude in the novel ! not even chapter 1.

so obviously this 47min ep was a needed world building and explanation for the next ~49 EP that's coming in next 12 month !

if u don't want to give this a chance, then u got no reason to watch it or come here.
Have fun enjoying what you enjoy :)
Oct 10, 2018 6:01 PM

Sep 2017
Pedram said:
HibiChika said:

I'm surprised you can be arsed to come to a discussion forum for this anime EP1 and give a comment about actually not even watching the Ep1 :|

This Ep is a build up for the biggest arc in SAO, Volume 9 to 18 ! ( 19 and 20 is also side story about this arc )

plus Ep1 is only prologue and interlude in the novel ! not even chapter 1.

so obviously this 47min ep was a needed world building and explanation for the next ~49 EP that's coming in next 12 month !

if u don't want to give this a chance, then u got no reason to watch it or come here.
Have fun enjoying what you enjoy :)

Yeah it's kinda ridiculous what some people try to nitpick just to hate on an anime. "Its too long" i'm liiikeeee
Oct 10, 2018 7:46 PM
May 2010
Not to spoil anything but as a LN reader
The first part has me c r y i n g

E u g e o....................................................
//emotional overflooding

seriously tho expect tones of bromance.
It gets good before things go to hell.
Oct 10, 2018 8:29 PM

Nov 2013
Pyoung said:
Do i need to watch all of SAO to watch this?
Of course not. This is season 3, as we all know the correct order of business is S3 > S4 > Movie > S1 > S2

Obviously.
Oct 11, 2018 4:30 AM

Jul 2015
So SAO has always been meh mediocre but how the fuck is this so good?

It's like damn this is one of the VERY FEW anime i have seen to do infodumping correctly most Anime i have seen do very little this was <3
Oct 11, 2018 4:30 AM

Jul 2015
Willowspell said:
Not to spoil anything but as a LN reader
The first part has me c r y i n g

E u g e o....................................................
//emotional overflooding

seriously tho expect tones of bromance.
It gets good before things go to hell.

Hell as in the writing gets shit or hell as in OH FUCKING GOD PLEASE PUT OUT THE TEARS
Oct 11, 2018 4:36 AM

Jul 2015
Pedram said:
JiangHaoyi1979 said:

I agree with you this scene is a bit of an stretch, plus they tried to make it more dramatic too lol although it's not that bad, i explained above in this same page.

anyway, they had to do it this way tho, with Gun and Kirito getting hit by a gun would not work.
coz author need to make kirito's body be fine but be in a comma coz of brain damage lol ( lack of blood )
Plus Johnny Black is a expert in using poison weapon, probably know how to use it better than a gun.

That Drug is a Fast acting muscle relaxing drug, isn't really a poison, but instantly relax all of kirito's muscle including heart, so it make him lose conscious and get brain damage coz of lack of blood to the brain and die after a few min.

Lets be fair Kirito NEVER killed in SAO why would he kill IRL
He obviously was going for the leg because he wanted to incapacitate the guy not actually hurt him.

Is it silly? Yes but this is a personality flaw kirito has he is too friendly even to those who don't deserve it.

Honestly if you had this happen in real life with someone who was friendly and not wanting to hurt even people who are trying to kill them it would end up more or less the same.

Kirito is deeply flawed the fact people see it as a stretch makes me thing people haven't paid attention to his personality or how he has been written in the past.

I and you would swing and try to hurt the guy but im going to say me and you both don't care about an attackers life over our own :P
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »

More topics from this board

» My enjoyment of Alice is kinda ruined because of Darkness from Konosuba

BigBoyAdvance - Mar 24

11 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 24, 10:33 PM

» Anyone else lowkey prefer Alice to Asuna?

Marinate1016 - Jun 25, 2019

47 by Marinate1016 »»
Mar 24, 11:38 AM

» Kirito needs medical help cause this man’s been through it all

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 11

32 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 14, 9:57 AM

» I just finished this and ""O MY GOD ""

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Mar 2

43 by Fenyy »»
Mar 5, 11:12 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2018

189 by fssf1606 »»
Feb 12, 2:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.