Forum Settings
Forums

Anyone else think Quentin Tarantino is kind of a hack?

New
Sep 1, 2018 5:46 PM

Nov 2011
I would think id like his films since I like the trashy b movie and grindhouse films he is inspired by but holy shit do I seem to find his films boring. Ive seen Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, and Death proof and they were mostly dull and rather juvenile (in a bad way). People act like hes some God ofdialogue but i dont see it. A lot of it feels forced and unnatural like hes speaking through the actors. Like this is here from Reservoir Dogs I find (for lack of a better word) really cringey.

Also his homages to old B movies can tend to feel more like bad parody particularly in Kill Bill. I watched Lady Snowblood after watching Kill Bill and enjoyed it much more. I feel like for someone who goes so far out of his way to pay homage to these old martial arts and grindhouse B movies he doesnt really understand what made them great.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 1, 2018 6:45 PM

Jan 2017
Andrei_Rublev said:
I would think id like his films since I like the trashy b movie and grindhouse films he is inspired by but holy shit do I seem to find his films boring. Ive seen Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, and Death proof and they were mostly dull and rather juvenile (in a bad way). People act like hes some God ofdialogue but i dont see it. A lot of it feels forced and unnatural like hes speaking through the actors. Like this is here from Reservoir Dogs I find (for lack of a better word) really cringey.

Also his homages to old B movies can tend to feel more like bad parody particularly in Kill Bill. I watched Lady Snowblood after watching Kill Bill and enjoyed it much more. I feel like for someone who goes so far out of his way to pay homage to these old martial arts and grindhouse B movies he doesnt really understand what made them great.

Everyone has different tastes. Personally, he's one of my favorites - and not even a full month ago I watched all eight (nine if you count Kill Bill volumes as 2 different films). My favorites (in order) are:

#1 - Pulp Fiction
#2 - Django Unchained
#3 - Jackie Brown
#4 - Inglourious Basterds
#5 - The Hateful Eight
#6 - Reservoir Dogs
#7 - Kill Bill (Vol. 1 & Vol. 2)
#8 - Death Proof

^^The Top 3 there are pretty interchangeable for me.

His calling cards are satire, (mostly) lengthy movies, over-the-top violence, using an often-recurring cast, oddly placed props/etc, making a cameo himself, and having a hefty portion of each film dedicated to intriguing & bizarre yet personal conversations between the cast.

Tbh, of those (4) you listed you had seen - only Pulp Fiction is in my favs of his. The other (3) are my least favorites, but again, that's only my personal opinion / preference. 'Death Proof' really should have an asterisk next to it being one of 'his' films, because it came about to be a double-feature Grindhouse project with one of his closest friends, director Robert Rodriguez & his film, 'Planet Terror'. Those are by no means "good" and 'Death Proof is widely regarded as his worst film. 'Kill Bill' I didn't find very interesting, other than the short anime segment detailing Lucy Liu's background in Vol. 1. 'Reservoir Dogs' is his very first, and I don't think it's "bad", but he definitely had room to improve. I do think it is fantastic considering that it is an independent film, and his first at that.

I'd really recommend going ahead and seeing the remaining ones you haven't yet - especially Django & Jackie Brown. Probably Basterds too.

Pulp Fiction actually makes the top 100 in AFI's 100 Years..100 Movies at like 94-95th. There's the original list from 1997, and then the 10th Anniversary list from 2007. Those links are below (if you're interested, and more than just Tarantino):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI%27s_100_Years...100_Movies
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI%27s_100_Years...100_Movies_(10th_Anniversary_Edition)

^^I've been working on watching every film listed on these since April of this year.

LONG story short, Tarantino is one of my favorite all time directors; do I honestly think he is THE greatest? Probably not, but he definitely is a once in a generation kind of influence.

My all-time top directors (in no particular order):

Akira Kurosawa
Steven Spielberg
Alfred Hitchcock
Charlie Chaplain
Francis Ford Coppola
Stanley Kubrick
George Lucas
Martin Scorsese
Quentin Tarantino
Yasujiro Ozu
Frank Capra
Billy Wilder
John Huston

Sep 1, 2018 6:48 PM
Jul 2018
Nope, I totally disagree.

He is one of the best directors in Hollywood ATM. It's either a sequel, a superhero movie, or a tarintino movie that will blow up (and last) in theaters.
Sep 1, 2018 7:26 PM

Nov 2011
J_LEE_C said:
Andrei_Rublev said:

Everyone has different tastes. Personally, he's one of my favorites - and not even a full month ago I watched all eight (nine if you count Kill Bill volumes as 2 different films). My favorites (in order) are:

#1 - Pulp Fiction
#2 - Django Unchained
#3 - Jackie Brown
#4 - Inglourious Basterds
#5 - The Hateful Eight
#6 - Reservoir Dogs
#7 - Kill Bill (Vol. 1 & Vol. 2)
#8 - Death Proof

^^The Top 3 there are pretty interchangeable for me.

His calling cards are satire, (mostly) lengthy movies, over-the-top violence, using an often-recurring cast, oddly placed props/etc, making a cameo himself, and having a hefty portion of each film dedicated to intriguing & bizarre yet personal conversations between the cast.

Tbh, of those (4) you listed you had seen - only Pulp Fiction is in my favs of his. The other (3) are my least favorites, but again, that's only my personal opinion / preference. 'Death Proof' really should have an asterisk next to it being one of 'his' films, because it came about to be a double-feature Grindhouse project with one of his closest friends, director Robert Rodriguez & his film, 'Planet Terror'. Those are by no means "good" and 'Death Proof is widely regarded as his worst film. 'Kill Bill' I didn't find very interesting, other than the short anime segment detailing Lucy Liu's background in Vol. 1. 'Reservoir Dogs' is his very first, and I don't think it's "bad", but he definitely had room to improve. I do think it is fantastic considering that it is an independent film, and his first at that.

I'd really recommend going ahead and seeing the remaining ones you haven't yet - especially Django & Jackie Brown. Probably Basterds too.

Pulp Fiction actually makes the top 100 in AFI's 100 Years..100 Movies at like 94-95th. There's the original list from 1997, and then the 10th Anniversary list from 2007. Those links are below (if you're interested, and more than just Tarantino):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI%27s_100_Years...100_Movies
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI%27s_100_Years...100_Movies_(10th_Anniversary_Edition)

^^I've been working on watching every film listed on these since April of this year.

LONG story short, Tarantino is one of my favorite all time directors; do I honestly think he is THE greatest? Probably not, but he definitely is a once in a generation kind of influence.

My all-time top directors (in no particular order):

Akira Kurosawa
Steven Spielberg
Alfred Hitchcock
Charlie Chaplain
Francis Ford Coppola
Stanley Kubrick
George Lucas
Martin Scorsese
Quentin Tarantino
Yasujiro Ozu
Frank Capra
Billy Wilder
John Huston

Ive actually seen Inglorious Bastards but that was when it first came out so i didnt remember it well enough to include it. Pulp fiction is his most popular and Reservoir Dogs seems to be his second most popular or maybe third behind bastards. I only watched Kill Bill because I heard it was more action less conversation based and took influence from a lot of old martial arts and asian action films but besides the anime segment which i agree was charming I think it mostly just felt corny and not as fun as the films it referenced like Master of the flying guillotine. Also I knew Death proof was considered his weakes but i figured id mention it anyway.

I dont quite get why hes known for over the top violence as his films seem rather tame, or Kill Bill was standard of what id expect. I wouldnt mind the quirky conversation but I dont tend to find them very entertaining in his films they just kinda drag the movie out sometimes feeling cringey as i mentioned. Even the rather short Reservoir dogs dragged for me.

And yeah ive seen AFI lists and have seen a lot of the stuff on them. I dont take them too seriously though, especially since a lot of my fav films are foriegn.
Sep 1, 2018 7:28 PM

Nov 2011
Abominable said:

He is one of the best directors in Hollywood ATM. It's either a sequel, a superhero movie, or a tarintino movie that will blow up (and last) in theaters.

What about Nolan? Not that i like him either but he seems like an audience darling. Also crappy michael bay movies tend to be popular.
Sep 1, 2018 7:59 PM

Jan 2015
I feel like for someone who goes so far out of his way to pay homage to these old martial arts and grindhouse B movies he doesnt really understand what made them great.

sure it's not lack of sugar for morning provocative thread mr andre rublev

on the point aside i dont remember he's really bad regard dialog as the example sound more like an attempt for cherry picking. even as matter of technicality and vision, he has lot admirable things to offer not only that. not that the guy immune with critics, just thread far from really being fair

talk reservoir itself probably spark argument as movie that not age so well (or is it?)
or this talk more like tarantino himself being cringe, bad actor in some sort? wont argue

the scene, the overall dialog itself flow naturally imo, except the shallow taratino's delivery. well not many movie pretarantino offer perspective about boring breakfast chat of bunch of crime

i mean im not into argument for he not being original or just copy idea or there already inovative way of storytelling way before, as it clearly does. except he did bring thing into the table and got it more mainstream attention. cant bragging for lovely exotic shit like lady snowblood without bring kill bill to diss on? more like the question
also sound like the pseud tarantino critic just tend to forget his movie always got over the top b movie premise told in in laid back way, kinda scorsese meet linklater in some sort, not some pure or shock grindfest .

karambiaSep 1, 2018 8:03 PM

la critique de l'intention pure
Sep 1, 2018 8:12 PM
Jul 2018
Andrei_Rublev said:
Abominable said:

What about Nolan? Not that i like him either but he seems like an audience darling. Also crappy michael bay movies tend to be popular.

Micheal bays sucks imo
Nolan only made good movies for batman, which were overrated in and of themselves.
Sep 1, 2018 8:23 PM

Nov 2011
karambia said:
I feel like for someone who goes so far out of his way to pay homage to these old martial arts and grindhouse B movies he doesnt really understand what made them great.

sure it's not lack of sugar for morning provocative thread mr andre rublev

on the point aside i dont remember he's really bad regard dialog as the example sound more like an attempt for cherry picking. even as matter of technicality and vision, he has lot admirable things to offer not only that. not that the guy immune with critics, just thread far from really being fair

talk reservoir itself probably spark argument as movie that not age so well (or is it?)
or this talk more like tarantino himself being cringe, bad actor in some sort? wont argue

the scene, the overall dialog itself flow naturally imo, except the shallow taratino's delivery. well not many movie pretarantino offer perspective about boring breakfast chat of bunch of crime

i mean im not into argument for he not being original or just copy idea or there already inovative way of storytelling way before, as it clearly does. except he did bring thing into the table and got it more mainstream attention. cant bragging for lovely exotic shit like lady snowblood without bring kill bill to diss on? more like the question
also sound like the pseud tarantino critic just tend to forget his movie always got over the top b movie premise told in in laid back way, kinda scorsese meet linklater in some sort, not some pure or shock grindfest .

Theres another moment of imo cringey dialogue in Reservoir dogs when Steve Buscemi complains about being Mr Pink. Theres also the scene with the two guys roughhousing and conversations that feel try hard and edgy. I posted the one i did because its at the begining of the film and seemed like a blatant example. Theres also stuff in Pulp fiction like Christopher Walken going on about how he hiding a ring in assholes, Bruce Willis's girl going on about wanting a pot belly, and Tarintinos n***** in the garage rant. In kill bill i had to pause the film after the Silly rabbit Trix are for kids bit because it just seemed so stupid to me.

I compared Kill Bill to Lady Snowblood because its very blatant thats what he modled Kill Bill after and while Kill Bill is much more well known i find it to be a downgrade. Kill Bill reminded me of a lot of films id rather have been watching.

I get that part of the appeal of Tarantino is supposed to be he takes B movie schlock and supposedly makes it more sophisticated but for me he takes the fun out of schlock and doesnt have the sophistication to hold up against a Scorsese film. His films are like this boring middle ground for me.
Sep 1, 2018 8:25 PM

Nov 2011
Abominable said:
Andrei_Rublev said:

Micheal bays sucks imo
Nolan only made good movies for batman, which were overrated in and of themselves.

I didnt say they were good. You (supposedly) made the argument that Tarantino is good because his films last in theaters like Superhero movies and sequels. Nolan and Bay films do too. Also crappy jumpscare horror films.
Sep 1, 2018 8:30 PM

Dec 2016
Yeeeeeah. At least Tarantino understands that you probably shouldn't take any strange pills offered to you by random strangers.

The Wachowski siblings, both writers, directors, and producers, first caught the attention of the world in 1999 with their groundbreaking sci-fi hit "The Matrix." At the time, the wunderkinds were referred to in the press as the Wachowski brothers. Since then, a lot has changed. Andy and Larry Wachowski are now Lilly and Lana Wachowski, and they don't care who knows it.

https://www.rebelcircus.com/blog/the-wachowski-brothers-are-now-sisters-how-they-changed-their-lives/

Sep 1, 2018 8:32 PM

Nov 2011
Soverign said:
Yeeeeeah. At least Tarantino understands that you probably shouldn't take any strange pills offered to you by random strangers.

The Wachowski siblings, both writers, directors, and producers, first caught the attention of the world in 1999 with their groundbreaking sci-fi hit "The Matrix." At the time, the wunderkinds were referred to in the press as the Wachowski brothers. Since then, a lot has changed. Andy and Larry Wachowski are now Lilly and Lana Wachowski, and they don't care who knows it.

https://www.rebelcircus.com/blog/the-wachowski-brothers-are-now-sisters-how-they-changed-their-lives/

The Matrix. Now theres a film time has not been kind to.
Sep 1, 2018 8:34 PM
Jul 2018
Andrei_Rublev said:
Abominable said:

Micheal bays sucks imo

I didnt say they were good. You (supposedly) made the argument that Tarantino is good because his films last in theaters like Superhero movies and sequels. Nolan and Bay films do too. Also crappy jumpscare horror films.

Personally, I'm just tryna say that he is one of the only good directors currently.
Superhero movies are oversaturated pieces of shit meant to apeal to the largest demographic possible, horror movies are just lazy peices of film that haven't been scary since the black and white days.

Tarintino puts out constantly above average cinema peices, none of them are in my favorite lists, but I can not deny the quality.
Sep 1, 2018 8:38 PM

Nov 2011
Abominable said:
Andrei_Rublev said:

Personally, I'm just tryna say that he is one of the only good directors currently.
Superhero movies are oversaturated pieces of shit meant to apeal to the largest demographic possible, horror movies are just lazy peices of film that haven't been scary since the black and white days.

Tarintino puts out constantly above average cinema peices, none of them are in my favorite lists, but I can not deny the quality.

I mostly agree though i would say there are plenty of good horror films post black and white. They did quit beiing good after the masterpiece that was Dead Alive.
Sep 1, 2018 9:40 PM

Jan 2015
Andrei_Rublev said:
Theres another moment of imo cringey dialogue in Reservoir dogs when Steve Buscemi complains about being Mr Pink. Theres also the scene with the two guys roughhousing and conversations that feel try hard and edgy. I posted the one i did because its at the begining of the film and seemed like a blatant example.
has hard recollection with all of those and too lazy for checking. but i did way back not so much to complain about, like everything. except i guess bit off putting moment for slicing ear scene, or just didnt like mad mikelsen michal madsen idk. technically it was his debut feature sure thing have some raw moments

Theres also stuff in Pulp fiction like Christopher Walken going on about how he hiding a ring in assholes, Bruce Willis's girl going on about wanting a pot belly, and Tarintinos n***** in the garage rant. In kill bill i had to pause the film after the Silly rabbit Trix are for kids bit because it just seemed so stupid to me.
is that really cringey tho' . seems you just not like/have quirk with over the top dialogue or monologue, something like that. but if you came from exploitation root it wont/shouldnt be bothering you, right? because it should filled with those kind of things. even if you feel it way overdone in oppose to that it quirk in movie that other spectrum of ppl tend to love too

I compared Kill Bill to Lady Snowblood because its very blatant thats what he modled Kill Bill after and while Kill Bill is much more well known i find it to be a downgrade. Kill Bill reminded me of a lot of films id rather have been watching.
sound to me more like it just [insert] better than [insert 2] because it exist first
it modeled, inspired i agree but didnt remake or reboot in some sort. basically just borrow story element of chick revenge flick. so im bit out of context with downgrade because technically it wasnt same material and direct adaption of same source.

I get that part of the appeal of Tarantino is supposed to be he takes B movie schlock and supposedly makes it more sophisticated but for me he takes the fun out of schlock and doesnt have the sophistication to hold up against a Scorsese film.
scorsese's much better than him in regard substance, deep , thing like that. the appeal of tarantino just not much for intellectualism, just some avid cinephile have fun with thing he's like. well scorsese's as well having fun too ad actually pay lot of homages only he didnt grew up with exploitation cinema.

His films are like this boring middle ground for me.
another day where matter of personal opinion
cinema has lot to offer mor than him we know that
karambiaSep 1, 2018 10:08 PM

la critique de l'intention pure
Sep 1, 2018 11:14 PM

Jul 2015

Watch this and tell me that he's a hack again
"my life at this state could be transposed into a pretty massive biography"

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

MAL's most prolific antivaxxer, Noboru.
Sep 2, 2018 1:18 AM

Jan 2018
One of the major thing is that the film he produced called From Dusk Till Dawn was supposed to be about the thriller film, but it later got an genre shift in which bars owners and female dancers are vampires.

The major thing about Quentin Taratino's films he produced are all hilarious to me, he is known to be make a lot of bizzareness and unique stories that all new gen fans should know.

(sorry for my poor English)
Sep 2, 2018 6:34 AM

Aug 2015
i don't think he's a hack, i just think he's not really good at serious things
django unchained for instance was about a delicate topic that just felt unsuited for tarantino and his typical random-people-getting-killed and weird comedy just ruined my experience of it
really enjoyed pulp fiction and inglourious basterds though
Sep 2, 2018 10:11 AM

Nov 2011
Railey2 said:

Watch this and tell me that he's a hack again

I see a piece of paper with a frowny face.
Sep 2, 2018 4:14 PM

Jun 2016
I find some of his movies can be difficult to rewatch. Maybe it's the length and dialogue, but once I've seen a movie from him I don't have much motivation to see it again.

Kill Bill would be one of the few exceptions.
The football field isn't the only place where you could use a good line.
Sep 3, 2018 4:40 AM

Apr 2017
Tarantino is one of my top 10 favorite directors and Pulp Fiction one my my top 15 films. The way he tells his stories is very appealing to me. Pulp Fiction, Django Unchained and Inglourious Basterds has some of the best writing in cinema, with lots of finesse to it.
Sep 3, 2018 4:54 AM

Jul 2009
I don't think he's a hack, but I wouldn't consider his films anything deeper than popcorn fun. A lot of his characters and dialogue are too over the top to be taken seriously. But to his credit, he excels in making highly entertaining films using his signature dark humor.
Sep 3, 2018 5:00 AM

Jan 2013
They're crass, juvenile, violent, and that's exactly why they're good.
The racial slurs are cringy but if the movie itself is entertaining, I can live with it.
Sep 3, 2018 11:17 AM

Nov 2011
CondemneDio said:
They're crass, juvenile, violent, and that's exactly why they're good.
The racial slurs are cringy but if the movie itself is entertaining, I can live with it.

I dont mind racial slurs but the way he uses them in his films feels forced like hes using them for the sake of using them or at least in Reservoir dogs and Pulp Fiction. I like cras, juvenile, and violent films like The Toxic Avenger and Street Trash. Those are a lot more entertaining to me.
Sep 3, 2018 6:49 PM

Oct 2010
Tarantino's dialogues are appealing because they are inappropriate and absurd, completely against the progression of the narrative tension in their movies, not because they are realistic in content. They intend to make a contrast with the crude side of these characters who will usually be murderers, robbers or any other outlaw job which displays a lot of violence. They are fast, incongruent and yes, juvenile, the latter being a relevant part of his entire style, from the way violence is depicted to the fixation with B movies and exploitation as a main aesthetic and narrative influence.

Anyway, the dialogue about Madonna in Reservoir Dogs is not supposed to be about how real it sounds. It is supposed to be about how detached these people appear from the seriousness of their "job", that they can engage in conversations that go nowhere about stuff that doesn't matter, because they are people with common interests and they need to fill time between one major event and another with random blabbering about unrelated things. It is done on purpose to kill tension and solemnity, and to portray these characters in a way that lets us remind that they are just ordinary people who happen to have a violent criminal life, with an interest in pop culture and junk food. Do you remember the dialogue in Pulp Fiction about "uncomfortable silences"? Well, that's pretty much it. That sums up his whole stance on the issue. The characters talk at random and their conversations are mundane, unstructured or plain stupid at times, because otherwise his movies would be a succession of extended uncomfortable silences to avoid killing a mood, and that's exactly the contrary of what Tarantino's films are about.

If you want a different take on the whole idea of criminals having anticlimactic and tonally inappropriate routine scenes check Jim Jarmusch's Ghost Dog for instance. You may just have issues with the way Tarantino depicts this, but it's not a bad concept on principle.
Sep 3, 2018 7:04 PM

Nov 2011
jal90 said:
Tarantino's dialogues are appealing because they are inappropriate and absurd, completely against the progression of the narrative tension in their movies, not because they are realistic in content. They intend to make a contrast with the crude side of these characters who will usually be murderers, robbers or any other outlaw job which displays a lot of violence. They are fast, incongruent and yes, juvenile, the latter being a relevant part of his entire style, from the way violence is depicted to the fixation with B movies and exploitation as a main aesthetic and narrative influence.

Anyway, the dialogue about Madonna in Reservoir Dogs is not supposed to be about how real it sounds. It is supposed to be about how detached these people appear from the seriousness of their "job", that they can engage in conversations that go nowhere about stuff that doesn't matter, because they are people with common interests and they need to fill time between one major event and another with random blabbering about unrelated things. It is done on purpose to kill tension and solemnity, and to portray these characters in a way that lets us remind that they are just ordinary people who happen to have a violent criminal life, with an interest in pop culture and junk food. Do you remember the dialogue in Pulp Fiction about "uncomfortable silences"? Well, that's pretty much it. That sums up his whole stance on the issue. The characters talk at random and their conversations are mundane, unstructured or plain stupid at times, because otherwise his movies would be a succession of extended uncomfortable silences to avoid killing a mood, and that's exactly the contrary of what Tarantino's films are about.

If you want a different take on the whole idea of criminals having anticlimactic and tonally inappropriate routine scenes check Jim Jarmusch's Ghost Dog for instance. You may just have issues with the way Tarantino depicts this, but it's not a bad concept on principle.

Oh i get what hes trying to do and I agree its not a bad concept but one i enjoy. As you suggested though I dont like the way Tarintino depicts this stuff. It feels unnatural and scripted. I feel like the characters say what they say because Tarantino wants them to not because its what they would naturally say if that makes sense?
Sep 3, 2018 7:07 PM

Oct 2010
Andrei_Rublev said:
jal90 said:

Oh i get what hes trying to do and I agree its not a bad concept but one i enjoy. As you suggested though I dont like the way Tarintino depicts this stuff. It feels unnatural and scripted. I feel like the characters say what they say because Tarantino wants them to not because its what they would naturally say if that makes sense?

Yep, it makes sense, and with how meta Tarantino is already and how obsessed he is about his own cultural background as part of his style this feeling you have seems pretty natural. I don't agree but I see where you come from.
Sep 4, 2018 3:25 AM

Oct 2016
he isn't. just slightly overrated

ol punching bag、the official
Sep 4, 2018 4:56 AM

Nov 2011
jal90 said:
Andrei_Rublev said:

Yep, it makes sense, and with how meta Tarantino is already and how obsessed he is about his own cultural background as part of his style this feeling you have seems pretty natural. I don't agree but I see where you come from.

Fair enough my good sir.
Sep 4, 2018 5:29 AM

Dec 2015
Nope, honestly I consider him to be one of the greatest directors ever, he hasn't made a single movie that I don't like.
and Kill Bill is probably my favorite movie of all time.
Sep 4, 2018 6:58 AM

Mar 2016
I recently saw Pulp Fiction for the first time and I fell in love with it. Django not so much though the violence was wicked fun.
Sep 4, 2018 7:00 AM

Jun 2014
I agree with you, OP.

I am not a fan of Tarantino's movies at all.

Sep 6, 2018 10:06 AM

Feb 2017
I don't necesarily think he's awful just kinda one-note and transparently in love with his own clevereness and dialogue to the point where it's uncomfortable. It feels like your watching a man jerk himself off in script form to put it crudely.
Sep 6, 2018 1:22 PM

Oct 2015
I admittedly am not that into cinema and the only Tarantino movie I've seen is Pulp Fiction (at the time of this writing). But if I were to give my opinion on it what makes the film's dialogue great isn't that it's the most clever nor the most natural. What makes it shine is the way their casual conversation seems like only a meaningless banter but actually emphasize the plot points of the film while also making the characters more believable and humane. These kinds of details are essential at hooking the viewer in imo.
Sep 6, 2018 3:38 PM

Nov 2011
SimeonStylitses said:
I don't necesarily think he's awful just kinda one-note and transparently in love with his own clevereness and dialogue to the point where it's uncomfortable. It feels like your watching a man jerk himself off in script form to put it crudely.

I get that feeling as well.
Sep 6, 2018 7:37 PM

Jul 2013
His movies are dripping with style. Regardless of how you can like them or dont like them, you cant deny the guy has talent. Certainly not one I would call a hack at all. In an era where blockbusters are boring and almost completely devoid of personality, you gotta treasure autreurs such a Tarantino even if his thing is no your cup of tea.

I love him tho so my bias may show.
Sep 7, 2018 12:51 PM

Feb 2018
It's been awhile since I watched his films but imo he's one of the best directors of all time.
Sep 17, 2018 7:32 AM

Sep 2018
imo like Nolan he's overrated by people who have just started to take film seriously, but a lot of slightly more seasoned film fans seem to be overly dismissive of him.

he's...pretty solid.
Sep 17, 2018 10:04 AM

Jul 2014
Nah I reckon he's one of the best writers working in Hollywood today. The characterization and dialogue in Pulp Fiction is unparalleled.

The man himself is pretty sketchy though.
LoveLikeBloodSep 17, 2018 10:08 AM
Take care of yourself

Sep 17, 2018 10:13 AM

Oct 2012
As much as I hate to admit it, he's pretty good. I like to hate on him sometimes since there are some of his films I'm not very fond of, but his better films are near masterpieces.
Sep 17, 2018 10:13 AM

Mar 2015
Maybe he's a bit over rated, but I will admit that he offers a great service to society.
Without him, white actors wanting to say the n-word would have nowhere to go.
Sep 17, 2018 3:09 PM

Feb 2018
Originality isn't always essential to my enjoyment of things, so I won't even bother to criticize him on that. I dislike him enough that being original wouldn't save him for me anyway.

Hack or no, I've never been a fan of QT. Neither as a writer/director, nor as a human being. He irritates the shit out of me, and his films are all but devoid of any real substance in my opinion. This would be okay, if all the flashy, "cool" shit were at least endearing to me, which it almost never is. Otherwise, it's all been pounded into the ground to the point that it's lost any appeal or significance beyond lazy pop culture gag/references for bad comedy writers and people who flog merchandise (t-shirts, posters, plastic crap) to dumb nerds.

For what it's worth, I don't dislike him exclusively. I hate nearly everything similar to what he does outside the realm of comics/cartoons (where his "style" belongs). I hate Joss Whedon's work for very similar reasons. I believe that he is responsible for ruining modern sci-fi/fantasy with his garbage writing style, which was itself a product of the 90's culture-and-marketing machine selling angsty/ironic/too-cool-for-school posturing to people too naive to notice they weren't part of a movement that valued sincerity and critical/independent thought, but a trend in marketing (a bit like Vaporcrap, BTW). Grunge is dead! The 90's sucked.
Sep 17, 2018 10:12 PM

Nov 2011
casual_filth said:
Originality isn't always essential to my enjoyment of things, so I won't even bother to criticize him on that. I dislike him enough that being original wouldn't save him for me anyway.

Hack or no, I've never been a fan of QT. Neither as a writer/director, nor as a human being. He irritates the shit out of me, and his films are all but devoid of any real substance in my opinion. This would be okay, if all the flashy, "cool" shit were at least endearing to me, which it almost never is. Otherwise, it's all been pounded into the ground to the point that it's lost any appeal or significance beyond lazy pop culture gag/references for bad comedy writers and people who flog merchandise (t-shirts, posters, plastic crap) to dumb nerds.

For what it's worth, I don't dislike him exclusively. I hate nearly everything similar to what he does outside the realm of comics/cartoons (where his "style" belongs). I hate Joss Whedon's work for very similar reasons. I believe that he is responsible for ruining modern sci-fi/fantasy with his garbage writing style, which was itself a product of the 90's culture-and-marketing machine selling angsty/ironic/too-cool-for-school posturing to people too naive to notice they weren't part of a movement that valued sincerity and critical/independent thought, but a trend in marketing (a bit like Vaporcrap, BTW). Grunge is dead! The 90's sucked.

Someone agrees with me finally! Hooray!
Sep 21, 2018 10:12 PM

Dec 2012
I wouldn't go that far but I don't like everything he put out either. Pulp fiction, Kill Bill, The Hateful Eight and that's about it.
KruszerSep 21, 2018 10:27 PM
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Sep 24, 2018 3:39 AM
Aug 2018
I think Tarantino is one of those directors that sways from project to project with different stories but he has a one dimensional way of telling them, which is usually a comedic OTT bloody experience.... which is the words of Tarantino himself "because its fun" and I completely agree, it is fun and if you go watching his movie looking for something different you're only kidding yourself. It's like going to watch a Michael Bay movie expecting a serious gritty thriller... it just wouldn't happen.

I agree dialogue lacks a little stimulation from time to time, but in my personal opinion some of the conversations his characters have in the movies are extremely realistic, and delivered with great conviction might I add. The breakfast scene in pulp fiction is almost a parody of itself because of the dialogue used but because it's delivered so well its amazing and captivating and contributes towards character development. There are many scenes like this in Reservoir Dogs also.

I compare his dialogue/conversation structure to Brett Easton Ellis, if you've ever read American Psycho you'll know what I'm talking about.

I know it sounds like I'm licking his arse so I will add some of his work is just god damn awful.... I found Jackie Brown rather boring (although I haven't seen it for many years) and I can't even watch Death Proof a second time I think its that bad, this would have been better if George A. Romero took the helm.

So overall I think he's consistent when it comes to quality movies but rather one dimensional.

Just out of curiosity OP what are you favourite films and directors?
Sep 24, 2018 8:57 AM

Nov 2011
krustyK said:
I think Tarantino is one of those directors that sways from project to project with different stories but he has a one dimensional way of telling them, which is usually a comedic OTT bloody experience.... which is the words of Tarantino himself "because its fun" and I completely agree, it is fun and if you go watching his movie looking for something different you're only kidding yourself. It's like going to watch a Michael Bay movie expecting a serious gritty thriller... it just wouldn't happen.

I agree dialogue lacks a little stimulation from time to time, but in my personal opinion some of the conversations his characters have in the movies are extremely realistic, and delivered with great conviction might I add. The breakfast scene in pulp fiction is almost a parody of itself because of the dialogue used but because it's delivered so well its amazing and captivating and contributes towards character development. There are many scenes like this in Reservoir Dogs also.

I compare his dialogue/conversation structure to Brett Easton Ellis, if you've ever read American Psycho you'll know what I'm talking about.

I know it sounds like I'm licking his arse so I will add some of his work is just god damn awful.... I found Jackie Brown rather boring (although I haven't seen it for many years) and I can't even watch Death Proof a second time I think its that bad, this would have been better if George A. Romero took the helm.

So overall I think he's consistent when it comes to quality movies but rather one dimensional.

Favorite films include Seven Samurai, High and low, Hara Kiri, M, Andrei Rublev, Marketa Lazarova, Funeral Parade of roses, Pixote, The Wages of Fear, Das Boot, The Thing, The Human Condition, Shura, The Plague Dogs, and The Toxic Avenger are all among my top.

Favorite directors? Akira Kurosawa is the one im most consistently impressed by so I go with him as my overall favorite but ofcoure I also like Kobayashi despite not being the most consistent. Ofcourse I like Bergman, Tarkovsky, Jodorowsky, Buñuel, Scorsese, Bakshi, and Lloyd Kaufman. I like Wes Anderson for a more recent director.
Sep 24, 2018 12:47 PM
Aug 2018
Andrei_Rublev said:
krustyK said:

Favorite films include Seven Samurai, High and low, Hara Kiri, M, Andrei Rublev, Marketa Lazarova, Funeral Parade of roses, Pixote, The Wages of Fear, Das Boot, The Thing, The Human Condition, Shura, The Plague Dogs, and The Toxic Avenger are all among my top.

Favorite directors? Akira Kurosawa is the one im most consistently impressed by so I go with him as my overall favorite but ofcoure I also like Kobayashi despite not being the most consistent. Ofcourse I like Bergman, Tarkovsky, Jodorowsky, Buñuel, Scorsese, Bakshi, and Lloyd Kaufman. I like Wes Anderson for a more recent director.

See even in terms of Kurosawa he does some stupid things sometimes in his films (although I think he is an amazing director and up there with the best ever).

I remember one scene vividly in "Throne of Blood" where a horseback rider is lost in the thick fog and looking for the fortress and this sequence literally goes on for 15 minutes.... Yes I got the point he was lost and searching aimlessly and frantically after the firs 2 minutes the scene didn't need to be that long and my attention wandered. I guess the same could be said for you in terms on meaningless dialogue that has no really impact on the actual story telling/progression? Hell I suffer from that sometimes also.
Sep 24, 2018 3:23 PM

Nov 2011
krustyK said:
Andrei_Rublev said:

See even in terms of Kurosawa he does some stupid things sometimes in his films (although I think he is an amazing director and up there with the best ever).

I remember one scene vividly in "Throne of Blood" where a horseback rider is lost in the thick fog and looking for the fortress and this sequence literally goes on for 15 minutes.... Yes I got the point he was lost and searching aimlessly and frantically after the firs 2 minutes the scene didn't need to be that long and my attention wandered. I guess the same could be said for you in terms on meaningless dialogue that has no really impact on the actual story telling/progression? Hell I suffer from that sometimes also.

I dont remember that scene being that long. At least it didnt bother me when I watched the film which wasnt one of my favorite Kurosawa films. Also tbf I dont think wandering aimlessly is as major a part of Kurosawas work as the dialogue is with Tarantino. Both Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction very much revolve around their dialogue.
Sep 24, 2018 4:27 PM
Aug 2018
Andrei_Rublev said:
krustyK said:

I dont remember that scene being that long. At least it didnt bother me when I watched the film which wasnt one of my favorite Kurosawa films. Also tbf I dont think wandering aimlessly is as major a part of Kurosawas work as the dialogue is with Tarantino. Both Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction very much revolve around their dialogue.

Regardless it was a lot longer than it needed to be. Anyway I don't see a problem with the dialogue in either of those films you've mentioned... like I said maybe if you picked Death Proof or even True Romance which he wrote I could kind of get where you're coming from but for Reservoir Dogs? I don't see any of the dialogue out of place what so ever.
Sep 24, 2018 4:42 PM

Nov 2011
krustyK said:
Andrei_Rublev said:

Regardless it was a lot longer than it needed to be. Anyway I don't see a problem with the dialogue in either of those films you've mentioned... like I said maybe if you picked Death Proof or even True Romance which he wrote I could kind of get where you're coming from but for Reservoir Dogs? I don't see any of the dialogue out of place what so ever.

Its less that its out of place and more that it feels forced and unnatural to me as well as at times cringey and not really that interesting to listen to. Its all my opinion ofcourse but I certainly cant see it as godly dialogue like its made out to be.

I hate to use the word cringey but I dont know how else to describe that like a virgin bit at the beginning of Reservoir dogs or the bit where Steve Buscemi complains about being mr Pink.
EmperorDemonGavaSep 24, 2018 4:46 PM
Sep 24, 2018 5:36 PM

Nov 2015
Not a fan of him or his movies.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7776 by MalchikRepaid »»
40 minutes ago

» Best Disney villain?

literally_boba - Nov 5, 2022

10 by Absurdo_N »»
43 minutes ago

» what's your favourite artist and/or band of all time?

brainburger - Apr 28

38 by tsukareru »»
1 hour ago

» Post songs that you like but don't want anyone else to know you like them

tsukareru - May 18

15 by tsukareru »»
1 hour ago

» Some commentary on this music video by MILLENNIUM PARADE ^^

tsukareru - May 24

2 by tsukareru »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.