Forum Settings
Forums

Did you go to anime club growing up? Share your experience.

New
Apr 24, 2018 7:29 PM

Jun 2013
Hey guys, not sure if everyone went to anime club growing up but where im from (california) pretty much most schools middle school and up have them! I only went in middle school and i brought and donated all my manga to them. We usually watched FMA Brotherhood and and Soul Eater. Good ol' 2000s lol
We actually used to sell hi-chew also, and ended up raising a bunch of money after japan was hit with the tsunami/earthquake.

Feel free to tell me what you guys watched or what kind of club activities you enjoyed during your time at anime clubs
Ideals, philosophy, art, culture. They live and die for the meme. - Kamukura Izuru

Apr 24, 2018 7:32 PM

Dec 2015
I haven't joined an anime club but I was invited to one
hi
Apr 24, 2018 7:34 PM

Jun 2017
Am I grown up or still growing up plz help
I'm a shitposter for fun
Apr 24, 2018 7:34 PM

Aug 2015
clubs weren't really a thing in any of the schools i went to. there was a chess club in one, no anime club. doubt i'd join one anyway
Apr 24, 2018 7:37 PM

Dec 2017
Not really an anime club, but I was in a group with people playing pokemon when I was young. Shit was so old, we used cables to trade pokemon.
Apr 24, 2018 7:37 PM

Jun 2013
ZionPulse said:

well your 15? so your still in the age range of being in middle/highschool anime club
your still growing up (i still am and im 20 haha)

you can share your experience if you want anyways :)
Ideals, philosophy, art, culture. They live and die for the meme. - Kamukura Izuru

Apr 24, 2018 7:40 PM

Jun 2017
aiaisu said:
ZionPulse said:

well your 15? so your still in the age range of being in middle/highschool anime club
your still growing up (i still am and im 20 haha)

you can share your experience if you want anyways :)
I attend a preparatory school so they're" too good" for things such as clubs. Like, we have an art club, chess club, and spam club and that's it. It's saddening really.
I'm a shitposter for fun
Apr 24, 2018 8:01 PM

Nov 2015
Never had an anime club at any of the schools i went to let alone any other school clubs. Anyways i'd never join one even if it was there.
Apr 24, 2018 8:11 PM

Apr 2016
ZionPulse said:
we have a spam club

Alright, I'm curious. What is a spam club?
Apr 24, 2018 8:18 PM
Jul 2018
The anime club at my high school was basically all of the smelly rejects that would never fit in anywhere else. The anime club at the college I went to consisted entirely of passive aggressive catty cunts being passive aggressive catty cunts.

No thanks.
Apr 24, 2018 8:25 PM

Sep 2015
I went to a couple of watching sessions my college's anime club last semester. Was kinda fun but eventually stopped going just cause I didn't have the time. Strangely enough the best experience I got out of it was watching people's reactions to shows I had already seen. And then there was the group watching of Tekyuu... never have I seen a group of people vehemently hate a show as much as that.
Apr 24, 2018 8:25 PM

Dec 2017
I went to anime club my first semester of college, and I didn't have a good time. The older people would keep to themselves and not try to integrate the new members into the club, so it would be us new guys awkwardly trying to make conversation while the older members would be chatting and laughing it up. Whenever we would watch a show, they would never shut the fuck up. They were so loud I couldn't even hear the show we were trying to watch. I kept going in the hopes that it would get better, but it never did and I stopped going entirely after a while.
Apr 24, 2018 8:42 PM

Dec 2017
In my country's poor education system, clubs does not exist. Unless you are a rich kid who study in a 'high-class' school.
Apr 24, 2018 8:51 PM

Apr 2016
SomeMoron said:
I went to anime club my first semester of college, and I didn't have a good time. The older people would keep to themselves and not try to integrate the new members into the club, so it would be us new guys awkwardly trying to make conversation while the older members would be chatting and laughing it up. Whenever we would watch a show, they would never shut the fuck up. They were so loud I couldn't even hear the show we were trying to watch. I kept going in the hopes that it would get better, but it never did and I stopped going entirely after a while.

Never try to actually watch anime in an anime club
Apr 24, 2018 9:20 PM

Jun 2015
The anime club at my high school was a great experience. People there were friendly and humorous, the activities were fun, and I've made plenty of comrades there. I was also introduced to plenty of new shows there as well.

However this was also during a phase of mine where I was afraid to show my liking for anime to other people at school, so I'd keep my involvement with the club as secretive as possible. I have to say I unfortunately didn't capitalize on these times at the club as well as I could have, since I was quite awkward for the majority of the time.
Apr 24, 2018 9:33 PM

Mar 2016
In 2012 I joined a manga community in my town. We gathered once or twice a month, but sometimes we gathered more frequently for upcoming japanese festival. We didn't meet up often because everyone was busy with their own life business and mostly we communicated through internet, after all the member was from different age.

When we gathered, we usually shared our drawing and anime. But we rarely watched together due to limited time we had when gathering.

Dunno if it can be considered as a growing up club since I was already 20 at the time.
Kurniawan_KtrApr 24, 2018 10:00 PM
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Apr 24, 2018 9:48 PM

Jan 2018
I never went to an anime club but they sound like a lot of fun, also that's awesome all of you were able to raise a lot of money for a good cause : )
Apr 24, 2018 9:52 PM
Nov 2016
Nope.
No such thing in my city, nor would I really care to be apart of it.

Apr 24, 2018 9:56 PM

Sep 2011
Unfortunately there are no anime clubs on this shitty country. Schools on this country of mine are very corn. They don't prefer clubs that are based on hobbies and they prefer clubs with educational purposes.

Apr 24, 2018 10:18 PM

Feb 2018
To my knowledge there has never been something like that in my surrounding area
Apr 24, 2018 10:32 PM
Jul 2018
was a member of an animu club in middle school

i made friends with these two guys and we all became partners in crime
one of them bought me a yui hirasawa plush during my k-on obsessed phase too
i liked those dudes, they were weird geeks for sure but they were nice

also i found out easily that my especially bad weaboo phase was outgrowable and outgrowable for most of the people i knew in the anime club after a certain age, sure there were some annoying weebs in there but i hung out with the people who weren't excessively annoying or weebish

my high school didn't have one but i was friends with a lot of people who watched anime
Apr 25, 2018 3:08 AM

Feb 2013
check your privilege :V
anime clubs are rare outside the states i think
Apr 25, 2018 3:12 AM

May 2009
I didn't join anime clubs in my pre-university years. I did strongly suspect the Japanese Culture Society at my high school of being an anime club, though as a result I also felt a slight desire to go to their meetings, except I couldn't justify it to my parents so I never did.

I didn't join an anime club until much later, as a grad student looking to meet people on a campus I was new to and hoping to bond over some shared interests. Ironically, I missed out on my undergraduate university's club, which has an impressive collection of anime and manga, and often held showings in a pretty darn nice lecture hall. But I wasn't into anime back then. I think I visited their manga library like once (and didn't borrow anything).

The club at my first grad school was small, about 15 people max, about the same number of girls and guys, and generally quiet and willing to sit around to watch several episodes of something. They introduced me to some interesting stuff, from FMAB to several movies like the Cowboy Bebop movie and Tokyo Godfathers and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. A handful of us got used to hanging out after club, as we all liked to listen to J-pop/anisong/vocaloid music, and they introduced me to vocaloid music. We'd print out music scores for piano transcriptions of songs, and use the piano nearby to play them. Was a lot of fun, and a very cozy club atmosphere.

The club at my second grad school was quite different. It was larger, around 40 people max, and it also was a combined anime and gaming club, including both videogames and tabletop games, and they tried to do everything in one room, making club meetings very unfortunately noisy (so it was much harder to appreciate sound effects and music in shows). The club members (dominated by guys, incidentally) also tended to prefer watching single episodes of shows they picked out based on a theme, rather than watching several episodes of one show at a time. And people were rowdier -- more prone to cheering, jeering, and even blurting out spoilers. I ended up mainly trying to avoid club, despite knowing people from it, and instead preferring to meet nearby with some other club members and play D&D (in relative quiet compared to the club room). When D&D wasn't on, though, a smaller group of us club members did often hang out and watch our own choices of stuff sometimes.

Lessons learned:
* Small groups are cozier and more fun to hang out with, than large groups
* Chill people are more fun to hang out with than rowdy, hyped people.
* the anime fandom is made up of lots of people with a huge variety of interests and personalities. not everyone will be someone you can bond with over anime. heck, there's a ton of different anime series, even.
* I like watching stuff quietly and with focus and immersion, so there's merit to watching by myself. In fact, there's some merit to watching stuff without talking to people about it (or otherwise having a release), too -- it can keep emotions bottled up longer and maintain their intensity better.
* I also really appreciate the music, so I don't like the practice of shutting off an episode while the OP is still playing.
* It's not always easy to find something everyone in a group is willing to watch. It's even harder to guarantee that people are willing to watch more than one episode of it.
GlennMagusHarveyApr 25, 2018 3:17 AM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Apr 25, 2018 3:12 AM

Jan 2018
I like clubs but my friends don't. Here I am trying to get the most out of MAL clubs. Should somebody call you a nerd? It depends on how you dress yourself and behaves in the end.
Apr 25, 2018 4:04 AM

Apr 2017
in my country, its not a requirement to join a club (at least for most schools)

so i dont give a single fuck

still life: pink roses
Apr 25, 2018 4:10 AM

Nov 2016
Unfortunately I didn't have an anime club at my school ;_;

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 25, 2018 4:12 AM

Apr 2018
anime clubs don't exist in my country as far as i know
"it's a confession of love, after all."

:。・:*:・゚’★,。・:*:・゚’

Apr 25, 2018 4:14 AM

Sep 2017
ok
i tried starting one a few months ago but it was an absolute clusterfuck and i suck at talking to people so it sucked and ended.
if there eventually is one i may join it for the lulz.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Apr 25, 2018 4:20 AM

Oct 2016
Clubs aren't a thing in my country. I wish they were though, an anime club sounds like it would be a lot of fun1 Just A bunch of awkward weebs talking about their favourite waifu and the most memorable moment in Naruto, it sounds like paradise.
Apr 25, 2018 4:39 AM

Mar 2015
No clubs here in my country. But tbh I'd probably join an anime club if there were one.
Apr 25, 2018 4:44 AM

Apr 2015
I went to one at my local library for a while. We watched Gakuen Alice, Ghost Hunt, Ghost Stories (only the first volume, as the librarian didn't feel comfortable with how raunchy the infamous dub gets later on), and Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de off the top of my head.

Some kid at my high school tried to start one but it was a disaster.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Apr 25, 2018 4:51 AM

Aug 2016
Doesn't really exists in my country :c We improvised some watch when we aren't debate with friends but it was during study time.
Apr 25, 2018 5:06 AM
Sep 2011
Yes. Was fortunate enough to attend a good-sized high school, and had a great anime club experience (junior year we watched Geass, Claymore, Blood+, and TTGL). The two people running the show were nice and genuine as it gets.

In college, went twice to the university anime club, but the club president gave off seriously creepy vibes. I bailed completely after seeing an episode of Kodomo no Jikan on the second day. Was not shocked to learn years later the dude was arrested on multiple charges of statutory rape after becoming a youth minister.
Apr 25, 2018 9:38 AM
Jul 2018
Did you go to anime club growing up?

Nope.

Why?

Because there really wasn't that type of thing when I was growing up/in school.

Of course, there were clubs for Photography, Art, Music, et cetera, et cetera, ...but none for anime or video games, really, so.
Apr 25, 2018 1:39 PM

Apr 2014
my friends and i started the anime club in our high school. dont know if its still a thing since the administration has changed since then but it was fun
Apr 25, 2018 1:41 PM

Jun 2017
FullmetalAlias said:
ZionPulse said:
we have a spam club

Alright, I'm curious. What is a spam club?
A club that makes "food" out of the vile meat product known as spam.
I'm a shitposter for fun
Apr 25, 2018 1:52 PM

Mar 2015
While there are enough 'anime fans' and nice teachers at my school to start one, we somehow don't have one. If there was an anime club at my school though, I wouldn't join it. The fans at my school are literally the worst.
woah there
Apr 25, 2018 1:56 PM

Jan 2017
nah the less time with other people the better
Apr 25, 2018 1:59 PM
Apr 2018
I joined an anime club in high school once...

It wasn't really my thing so I left a week after joining.
Apr 26, 2018 1:52 AM

Jun 2013
romagia said:
check your privilege :V
anime clubs are rare outside the states i think

theyre in japan too and other asian countries! I wasnt sure about other places so i left it open, sorry if i made you feel out of the group
_Malachite said:
Clubs aren't a thing in my country. I wish they were though, an anime club sounds like it would be a lot of fun1 Just A bunch of awkward weebs talking about their favourite waifu and the most memorable moment in Naruto, it sounds like paradise.

Theyre fun, but kinda embarrassing to look back upon. I think some people get the wrong idea when i say club its barely part of the school and you dont need any money to run it alot of the times. like for anime clubs u get zero budget so kids brought their own snacks all you need is a cool teacher, a lunchtime once a week and a projector ;)

ClodRaker said:
Yes. Was fortunate enough to attend a good-sized high school, and had a great anime club experience (junior year we watched Geass, Claymore, Blood+, and TTGL). The two people running the show were nice and genuine as it gets.

In college, went twice to the university anime club, but the club president gave off seriously creepy vibes. I bailed completely after seeing an episode of Kodomo no Jikan on the second day. Was not shocked to learn years later the dude was arrested on multiple charges of statutory rape after becoming a youth minister.

Holy fucking shit dude. and people say anime doesnt cater to pedophiles. smh.
glad your highschool one was cool though, my friend helps run one in university right now ^^.
aiaisuApr 26, 2018 1:57 AM

More topics from this board

» Which anime character would you most like to have a philosophical debate with?

Wendoka - Yesterday

21 by phantomic109 »»
47 seconds ago

» What's an anime people consider messed up that has no effect on you

isseixkoneko - May 26

39 by phantomic109 »»
3 minutes ago

» Is romance/slice of life the greatest anime genre? ( 1 2 )

Semester1 - Yesterday

53 by jellylo »»
17 minutes ago

» Hottest Adult Characters in anime?

RedTea33 - May 27

24 by jellylo »»
28 minutes ago

» Can you name a character for each of these features?

Anjuro - 2 hours ago

2 by Anjuro »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.