Forum Settings
Forums

Maybe a season 2 of your faovrite anime isn't always a good thing.

New
Nov 26, 2016 1:22 AM

Jan 2011
With the recent announcement or teaser of Panty And Stock season 2.( https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyGKu5VUsAAb6Xa.jpg) And with me only seriously watching Show By Rock season 2 this fall. A show that I like enough to really be invested in season 2 and watched some of the shorts. Well...it seems the shorts should have been a warning sign as ever since season 2 the show has gone downhill and looks really cheap. The budget is not there it seems. Less CGI scenes, more static stills, and the world and backgrounds seems have been scale back. It seems like no one working on the shorts and season 2 expected show By Rock to get this far. And let's not get started on the narrative it is all over the place with tis subplots and poor character development and lack of focus.

There are only 4 episodes left so may as well tough it out. But watching that season has made me realize something. That maybe all my deep cries and fanboyism for a season of PSG may have been a bad idea. Granted Gainax compared to Bones is like comparing Tim Tebow to John Elway. But maybe sometimes in the mist of want we get hit with the reality of sequel bug. I don't want to say season 2 of PSG will be bad but I have to say my perception has become more tighten.

What do you guys think? Have you experience this?
MasterHavikNov 26, 2016 6:30 AM
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Nov 26, 2016 1:27 AM

Oct 2014
A lot of my favourite anime I haven't seen the sequels to. I'm avoiding Shugo Chara! Party! because people say it's shit. I loved FMA but I haven't seen Brotherhood yet simply because it's a long show and it will take a while to get through. I do have two sequels in my favourites list, though.
Nov 26, 2016 1:41 AM
Mar 2016
I think it all depends on how well it is executed. For I typically will watch all second seasons in general and most of the time I'm disappointed. However, right now Okusama ga Seitokaichou!+! actually is better than the first season in my opinion.

If they do a second season of Toradora, I really do hope that it is pulled off well. Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni Kai is somewhat decent, but I need to finish the season to give my thoughts on how well it is pulled off. But yeah, as long as the second season is done properly, I'll be happy.
Nov 26, 2016 1:51 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Of course not, there's a reason so many sequels end up worse than their respective first seasons. A story can't stay good if people keep milking it, and the author can just plain run out of ideas over time

Even if it's your favorite anime, a butchered sequel might make it lose that spot so why take the needless risk? Just let a finished story end
Nov 26, 2016 1:55 AM

Jul 2014
I mean, my favorite anime adapted the entire manga and had a conclusive ending, so I wouldn't take a second season even if it was offered.

INDEX III, ON THE OTHER HAND...
Nov 26, 2016 1:56 AM

Feb 2016
Yep. Especiallny when the anime already has a conclusive ending, then other sequels become fanservice filled cash-grab. Japs love to do shitty movie continuations like this.

See Madoka Rebellion, it's absolute garbage and disgrace to the series, Eva rebuilds are unnecessary crap.
Nov 26, 2016 2:11 AM

Oct 2013
Im sure it isn't always a good thing but Ive never experienced being super let down to the point of hating the new season of a show Ive liked
Sure every season of Slayers after Next felt less exciting but Im still glad and appreciate that there is more material to watch
Nov 26, 2016 2:13 AM

Jul 2015
I agree, If the ending is conclusive there is no need to add more seasons

And even if is not conclusive sometimes is better to stop before it turn to trash , twgok anime stopped in the right moment
Nov 26, 2016 2:49 AM

Aug 2011
I tend to avoid sequels since by the time they come out I don't really care much about the show anymore and don't even bother. However, it's entirely different from an anime that was planned to be split seasons from the get-go, like Bungo Stray Dogs. Those are the sequels I will check out.

Nov 26, 2016 2:50 AM

Oct 2014
Well PSG's second season will be....... wel troublesome, PSG was made when Gainax was not a shadow of its former self like it is now, although PSG is a good show, I won't have faith in it unless Trigger will do it justice.
Nov 29, 2016 1:00 PM

Jun 2016
I think it really depends. I've avoided Psycho-Pass 2 like the plague because of what I've heard about it, but then there's shows like Overlord and No Game No Life which I am dying to get a second season of.

There are good second seasons too though. Higurashi Kai is even better than the first season and although this may be an unpopular opinion I like SAO II more than I liked the first season.
Nov 29, 2016 1:38 PM

Jan 2011
psychedelic_bee said:
I think it really depends. I've avoided Psycho-Pass 2 like the plague because of what I've heard about it, but then there's shows like Overlord and No Game No Life which I am dying to get a second season of.

There are good second seasons too though. Higurashi Kai is even better than the first season and although this may be an unpopular opinion I like SAO II more than I liked the first season.
Yeah it varies. You may be onto something.
Nov 29, 2016 7:44 PM

May 2016
You could've asked, "What dissapointing sequel have you seen?". You seem to often post about your experience then ask something along the line, "What do you think of this/what is your experience?". No hate, just something I noticed.

OT: Darker than Black S2. If it wasn't a follow up to S1 than it probably would've been fine. The problem was it took what was good and worked in S1(+OVA) and threw it out the window.
Nov 29, 2016 7:48 PM
Jul 2018
It always depends actually on different circumstances and different reasons, if the staff are the same or the studio is the same, such such ends, you know? It all really depends on those of course.

But half the time a sequel is a good thing, sometimes not really. Unless as you stated it is rather conclusive then there shouldn't be another one.
Nov 29, 2016 7:52 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
just put more fanservice in the second season... then whats the issue?
Nov 29, 2016 7:59 PM

Jun 2015
I was looking at the posts you guys made oon this topic and I was thinking, "What if my top 10 favorite series had sequels in 2016?"

Monster: After a years-long disappearance, Johan returns into the lives of the main characters and transforms into.... a three-headed monster.

FMAB: The entire series is re-made (yes, again) in chibi form

HxH: The Dark Continent Arc will finally happen........ but all we'll get is one or two episodes before Madhouse releases a statement saying, "We would give you more episodes but Togashi wants us to wait for his sorry ass to finally make an ending to this arc."

Bebop: Spike is brought back to life as a cyborg, Jet is dead, and Ed is the most famous bounty hunter in the galaxy. Oh, and Faye is the villain

Kaleido Star: Waaaay too much of a hidden gem to ever get a re-make or sequel

Lagann: A slice-of-life journey through the stars featuring Viral, Darry, and Gimmy as the protagonists, with Simon and Yoko making cameos.

Trigun: Vash and Knives team up to fight against...... a Vash look-a-like

Gungrave: Looks like Gungrave Overdose will be animated after all.

Black Cat: Like that'll ever happen....

Gankutsuou: Same for Black Cat
Nov 29, 2016 8:00 PM

Jul 2015
It's good if if there is more of a story to tell like from source material, or if it's original there is so much unanswered questions or story
Sup...
Nov 29, 2016 8:16 PM

Jan 2011
bmoore07 said:
I was looking at the posts you guys made oon this topic and I was thinking, "What if my top 10 favorite series had sequels in 2016?"

Monster: After a years-long disappearance, Johan returns into the lives of the main characters and transforms into.... a three-headed monster.

FMAB: The entire series is re-made (yes, again) in chibi form

HxH: The Dark Continent Arc will finally happen........ but all we'll get is one or two episodes before Madhouse releases a statement saying, "We would give you more episodes but Togashi wants us to wait for his sorry ass to finally make an ending to this arc."

Bebop: Spike is brought back to life as a cyborg, Jet is dead, and Ed is the most famous bounty hunter in the galaxy. Oh, and Faye is the villain

Kaleido Star: Waaaay too much of a hidden gem to ever get a re-make or sequel

Lagann: A slice-of-life journey through the stars featuring Viral, Darry, and Gimmy as the protagonists, with Simon and Yoko making cameos.

Trigun: Vash and Knives team up to fight against...... a Vash look-a-like

Gungrave: Looks like Gungrave Overdose will be animated after all.

Black Cat: Like that'll ever happen....

Gankutsuou: Same for Black Cat
watch the listing but lol I seen most of these and found your comments funny.
Nov 29, 2016 8:16 PM

Dec 2015
Idk all the 2nd seasons of my favorite anime I watched I liked so far.

Also, P&SwG season 2, make it happen.
Nov 29, 2016 8:26 PM

Nov 2008
Well......let's take a look

Orphen Season 2: Loved it. Much better than the first season....which was far too serious.

Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan 2: Didn't like it. First was better

Steel Angel Kurumi 2: Freaking TERRIBLE.

Durarara Season 2: Absolutely amazing to watch.

SAO II: Also loved this one. Had much better latter half than the first season's latter half. Nobody could argue with that.

Shakugan No Shana II: Loved this as well.

Suzumiya Haruhi II: Lol troll season....but I liked some of it.

Code Geass R2: That was a mess. R3 could fix this

Little Busters Refrain: Better than the first season.

Overall, I would say second seasons of anime are normally quite good. I would love another season of PS;G but TRIGGER HAS TO DO IT.

MasterHavik said:
With the recent announcement or teaser of Panty And Stock season 2.( https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyGKu5VUsAAb6Xa.jpg)

LOL why can the Japanese never spell "coming" right? XDDD

BREAK OPEN AN ENGLISH DICTIONARY, GUYS.

Nov 29, 2016 8:52 PM

Jan 2011
Starla_Fox said:
Idk all the 2nd seasons of my favorite anime I watched I liked so far.

Also, P&SwG season 2, make it happen.
DEC 16th my friend:) You better hovering on their twitter to see what they announce.
Nov 29, 2016 9:02 PM
Oct 2016
Haruhi 2009 is a good example of this.

But, there is Clannad ~After Story~ that is good.

And there's so many anime that need it, examples No Game No Life and Kaichou wa Maid Sama.
Nov 29, 2016 9:18 PM

Dec 2014
well what I believe it all depends on the ending of the first season... if it was done and dealt with... there is no reason to make another season you know
Nov 29, 2016 10:25 PM

Jan 2011
EcchiLordMamster said:
Yeah because that is always the answer to everything!
Nov 29, 2016 10:27 PM

Oct 2012
MasterHavik said:
EcchiLordMamster said:
Yeah because that is always the answer to everything!

It definitely is when you're the EcchiLordMamster

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Nov 29, 2016 10:31 PM

Aug 2013
With all of the shows airing in fall, and you claim to only be seriously watching one of them, and with you saying you'll only be watching 2 in winter...maybe the problem isn't with the anime or with the second seasons. Maybe the problem is with the person watching them (the very few of them).
Nov 29, 2016 10:40 PM

Sep 2015
some second seasons are better, and some aren't. it's better to go by a case-by-case basis.
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Nov 29, 2016 10:58 PM

Nov 2009
Of the 7 anime I have in my favorites, Dog Days and GochiUsa has second seasons, and they did not disappoint me. I was vary of Dog Days' 3rd season, but it turned out to be good too.
New Dominion Tank Police is a second season. I think I've never seen the first one.
I am currently looking forward to Strike the Blood season 2.
First Squad will probably never get a second season (and it's good the way it is), everybody has forgot about Yume Tsukai long ago (but the author's Nazo no Kanojo X was recently animated), and Tsukihime is more likely to get a remake or adaptation of Kohaku's route (because everybody loves edginess).

Overall, I don't remember many disappointing sequels.
Nov 29, 2016 11:06 PM

Jan 2011
Jonesy974 said:
With all of the shows airing in fall, and you claim to only be seriously watching one of them, and with you saying you'll only be watching 2 in winter...maybe the problem isn't with the anime or with the second seasons. Maybe the problem is with the person watching them (the very few of them).
I don't get the last line. And well I can't comment on those other season 2...and some season 8 of shows because I never seen them before because I have to watch season 1 of said show. The only other sequel spin off show I am watching is Brave Witches. But this idea came into my head after watching love live season 2 and currently watching...or well in this case enduring show by rock season 2.
Nov 29, 2016 11:09 PM

Aug 2015
well..i just finished watching 2nd season of "darker than black" and wasted 1 day of my life because it was even worse than it's 1st season,with even more unanswered question and confusion.I gotta say,this was probably the first time i hated to see an anime with a second season.
Nov 30, 2016 3:53 AM

May 2015
I don't understand why people are so hyped for second seasons. Sure, it's nice to see your favorite characters again but so what? I want a new story, new themes or new spins on old themes. If the second seasons doesn't deliver it, then it's not good. Every season stands on its own at the end.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Nov 30, 2016 10:41 AM

Sep 2013
The top 50 has 25 sequels.
Your opinion is the vocal minority.

https://myanimelist.net/topanime.php

>I hate sequels because I get more ep, I'm so smart
ichii_1Nov 30, 2016 11:13 AM
Nov 30, 2016 11:31 AM

Dec 2013
Yeah, I learned this lesson hard with Psycho-Pass 2...
Nov 30, 2016 11:36 AM

Sep 2013
tragedydesu said:
I agree, If the ending is conclusive there is no need to add more seasons

And even if is not conclusive sometimes is better to stop before it turn to trash , twgok anime stopped in the right moment

idk about twgok. For me season3 was really garbage and I loved the series. S1 and S2 were really good but with s3 you could really tell that they're rushing things and just have to end it. So I personally would have preferred had they stopped after s2.
Tbh the entire last arc in the manga was just... not my thing and then it suddenly got axed and they had to finish it somehow.
Nov 30, 2016 12:06 PM

Aug 2016
It really depends on whether or not as second season is needed. If I enjoyed a series, but it had an incomplete ending, I would be looking forward to that second season.

On the other hand, if a series is already over and is getting a sequel, unless it is a show I truly enjoyed, I would approach it with a fair deal of skepticism. The primary example that comes to my mind right now would be Durarara!! SH. Is there any reason this exists apart from the fact that the fans of Durarara!! wanted it? No. Everything was tied up at the end of Durarara!!, there's no point in having a sequel. Even Narita himself recognizes this fact (hence the "Snake Hands" part of the name).
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Nov 30, 2016 12:13 PM

Jan 2011
Nekoutsu said:
well..i just finished watching 2nd season of "darker than black" and wasted 1 day of my life because it was even worse than it's 1st season,with even more unanswered question and confusion.I gotta say,this was probably the first time i hated to see an anime with a second season.
I saw the first season ages ago and loved it. I didn't know season 2 was such a trainwreck. I never got and to seeing it.
ichii_1 said:

I think we have learned that MAL is not the greatest source.
Nov 30, 2016 12:52 PM

May 2015
I don't want sequels to any of my favorite anime though. You have to go past my top 10 to find anything I would want a continuation too. I would like an OVA or some shorts for some things, but not a continuation of the story.

ichii_1 said:

the top 50 also doesn't matter because of MAL's score inflation for everything ever, and it also has ERASED which is the worst thing.

>it's always good to get more eps
You're bullshitting me if you agree with this statement. Plenty of shows do not need more episodes because they have a completely satisfying ending. That's why there is backlash for beloved series such as Gunbuster getting reported for a third season, and animosity towards the new Code Geass and FLCL seasons. People don't think those shows need more episodes and that a new season is going to plain suck and not have anything of merit that the previous seasons had.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Nov 30, 2016 8:39 PM

Jan 2011
RainyRai said:
I don't want sequels to any of my favorite anime though. You have to go past my top 10 to find anything I would want a continuation too. I would like an OVA or some shorts for some things, but not a continuation of the story.

ichii_1 said:

the top 50 also doesn't matter because of MAL's score inflation for everything ever, and it also has ERASED which is the worst thing.

>it's always good to get more eps
You're bullshitting me if you agree with this statement. Plenty of shows do not need more episodes because they have a completely satisfying ending. That's why there is backlash for beloved series such as Gunbuster getting reported for a third season, and animosity towards the new Code Geass and FLCL seasons. People don't think those shows need more episodes and that a new season is going to plain suck and not have anything of merit that the previous seasons had.
In the case of Code Geass and FLCL I think it works out since we haven't seen those shows in awhile and their endings were open ended.

But I feel a season 2 works best if there is still a story left to tell. PSG season 2 in this regard is one of them. What I have notice about season 2 in anime it also depends on the staff. For example, Hajme No Ippo is always on point and has been like that each season it has had. While Show by Rock season 2 seems to be rehashing season 1's plotline and somewhat acknowledge other aspects they talk about in season 2 but end up not doing anything with it.(There is three episodes left but season 2 has been a joke.) The next part I am about to say may sound racist but follow me. I feel the Japanese entrainment media...well moreso those who in always need some guide or reference to make sure they don't fuck up a story of an anime. Far too many times I think they have no idea what they're doing and just feel lost. The worst part is that they hate admitting failure for the most part and will always get defensive.
Nov 30, 2016 8:43 PM

Feb 2015
Nov 30, 2016 8:52 PM

May 2016
I'm pretty sure the Tokyo Ghoul anime is a shining example of this, not too say the first season was flawless though.
Nov 30, 2016 8:53 PM

Jan 2011
_Ako_ said:
OP, have you considered that, sometimes, S1 is a curse?

That's a good point. S1 could be a cruse for some shows. I mean I question the Japanese's talent when it comes to ending something or making a sequel.
Dec 1, 2016 1:15 AM

Jul 2013
Yeah, I agree some animes doesn't needs sequel, especially when they have a proper ending who finished the series in a good note (like Code Geass R2 or Steins;Gate).
I still think series who I like with inconclusive endings whose source material is still publishing needs a second season, if only to see the story ending for good.
Dec 1, 2016 5:55 AM

Feb 2015
MasterHavik said:
_Ako_ said:
OP, have you considered that, sometimes, S1 is a curse?

That's a good point. S1 could be a cruse for some shows. I mean I question the Japanese's talent when it comes to ending something or making a sequel.

Well, if S1 one is a curse, but S2 is kinda in the middle, wouldn't that be a good thing? I mean take a good look at Love Live!, the S1 was kinda mehhh, people hated it, they thought, "it is melodramatic, but it doesn't fit." something like that, though I honestly love the S1.

What I felt lacking, was the movie sequel... xD

It's too short... xD I want more... xD

Dec 1, 2016 6:02 AM
Oct 2016
Exception _ kamisama hajimemashita
Dec 1, 2016 6:17 AM

Jan 2011
_Ako_ said:
MasterHavik said:

Well, if S1 one is a curse, but S2 is kinda in the middle, wouldn't that be a good thing? I mean take a good look at Love Live!, the S1 was kinda mehhh, people hated it, they thought, "it is melodramatic, but it doesn't fit." something like that, though I honestly love the S1.

Season 2 was very up and down. The drama was very forced and the reason they wanted to break up was very selfish and sallow.
Dec 1, 2016 6:18 AM

Feb 2015
MasterHavik said:
_Ako_ said:

Season 2 was very up and down. The drama was very forced and the reason they wanted to break up was very selfish and sallow.

Mhhhh.... How so?

Isn't that the most amazing ending?

What, do you want a different Muse? No, fuck that shit. I ain't buying that... xD
Dec 1, 2016 7:41 AM

Jan 2016
Depends on the show in my opinion. If a show has a solid ending then it definitely doesn't need a second or even third season.

Part of the reason why I am pissed Code Geass is getting a third season is because season two ended perfectly.

It is frustrating when a show that has more source material doesn't get a second season though.

Dec 1, 2016 9:12 AM

Jan 2011
_Ako_ said:
MasterHavik said:

Mhhhh.... How so?

Isn't that the most amazing ending?

What, do you want a different Muse? No, fuck that shit. I ain't buying that... xD
I found it sallow and selfish since the group would still be together and they wouldn't be losing much and they had newer and younger members coming in. So Muse wasn't going anywhere and I felt them breaking it just hurt the chances of younger members at the school joining the group.

and yes i know this is subjective and just my opinion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » what is your stance on "i don't wanna watch that anime, the art style sucks" ?

ame - 5 hours ago

30 by Ricchan__ »»
28 seconds ago

» Would your favorite non-anime characters survive in your favorite anime?

FanofAction - 12 hours ago

17 by Jackof-allspades »»
3 minutes ago

» What are some shows/movies that anime fans would like?

APolygons2 - 2 hours ago

12 by LenRea »»
3 minutes ago

» i think most of us know anime is just a medium, but...

LenRea - 3 hours ago

10 by LenRea »»
5 minutes ago

» What are considered 'the best anime clothes'?

SgtBateMan - Yesterday

28 by SgtBateMan »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.