Forum Settings
Forums

Is listening to subbed anime helping you learn Japanese?

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 23, 2015 7:48 AM

Jul 2014
No, it doesn't. You will pick a few words at the most, and sound like an idiot if you do not properly know how to pronounce it. Watching anime won't give your proper sentence structure and also memorising Hiragana & Katakana in order to learn Japanese.
Jan 13, 2016 11:43 PM

Sep 2014
It's pointless to even attempt to learn Japanese without knowing both kana's and basic grammar. Grammar is most important, if you know that everything else will be a lot easier to learn.
Jan 13, 2016 11:47 PM

Mar 2014
Not really, as Cyanwasserstoff said, you only learn words and sentences that you like. But the funny thing is, I studied Japanese for my first nine years of schooling, and I learned more from anime than I did in LOTE.
Jan 14, 2016 12:44 AM

Nov 2009
Ari_the_Lion said:
I've been watching One Piece subbed for the last 20 episodes or so and I'm amazed at how I am slowly learning how to understand Japanese. Still can't speak, write or read it, but I am slowly beginning to understand it. And some Japanese words sound English. Amazing. :)

So is it helping you learn Japanese? Even if you are only understanding a little here and there?

Yes, watching subbed anime can teach you some japanese.
Everyday words, like polite words japanese use.
Some memorable phrases, like Death Note's "Shinzo mahi" (heart attack, the most common cause of death in that anime).
Simple sentences.
But at some point you'll probably need to study in a more formalized manner a bit.
Once you're done with that, you can expand your language ability by watching more subbed (or raw) anime.

At this moment, I can understand a lot of anime that isn't based on complicated conversations or language-based jokes.
Jan 14, 2016 12:46 AM

Nov 2009
davinci12 said:
It's pointless to even attempt to learn Japanese without knowing both kana's and basic grammar. Grammar is most important, if you know that everything else will be a lot easier to learn.

Actually, you can easily learn spoken japanese without bothering with written japanese.
Anime won't teach you any written japanese anyway.
Grammar is indeed pretty useful, but there's no reason you have to start with it.
Jan 14, 2016 1:12 AM

Feb 2015
Just some random words and short phrases, but not nearly enough to be able to watch and understand anime without subtitles.
Jan 14, 2016 2:12 AM
May 2009
Yes.
As Long as your actually paying attention. try to mimic and copy what is said you are bound to learn it to a degree. But it will be incomplete what you learn from anime.
Jan 14, 2016 5:15 AM

Jun 2011
Ari_the_Lion said:
I am not learning a whole bunch either. And people shouldn't expect to learn a lot from just watching anime. (And if I inadvertently gave the impression that people should expect to learn a language just from listening to it, I apologize. That wasn't my intention)

But it did get me interested in wanting to actually learn and study Japanese.

That is not true, I can today speak quite well Japanese with other Japaneses people. (After watching animes for about 9 years)
In fact I served as a Fr <-> Jap translator in some Japanese Expositions.

Of course it's far from being perfect, but most Japaneses I met said I had a good level.
Seiya0890Jan 14, 2016 5:28 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 14, 2016 5:20 AM

Nov 2013
Most people look at this as a joke, including myself.

However if you aren't busy reading subtitles or waiting for the single ITADAKIMASU! Or hai tomodachi da yo! You know, general stuff my konichiwa friends. Then it can help with hearing native speech and familiarizing yourself with the language to an extent.
Jan 14, 2016 5:23 AM

Aug 2015
Apart from a few random words, none at all.

I have no idea what 'desu' means.
You've done nothing but spout meaningless prattle. - Yukino Yukinoshita.
Jan 14, 2016 5:25 AM

Sep 2015
Yes. But it doesn't help you learn the kanji.
Jan 14, 2016 5:31 AM

Jul 2015
Learning words / phrases, yes.. but then again, some words also have different meaning.
To actually form sentences or create a conversation, no.

It does help me keep my eyes off the subtitles from time to time.

Jan 14, 2016 5:32 AM

Aug 2015
One needs at least basic-intermediate Japanese in order to effectively learn from the subs.

I use watching anime to improve my listening skills and hence pronunciation.
I also use it to learn more about sentence construction, as the dialogues are the best examples of sentences and how ideas are conveyed.
One can't learn a language by textbooks only, because language is more than grammar and vocabulary--it is about how a people think.
So one needs exposure. And anime is one of the best learning materials. Like real life exposure, it's literally listening to Japanese speakers, only with the added help of subtitles.
It is a given that intensive studying is necessary.
koori_no_jinJan 14, 2016 5:36 AM
蒼穹を舞う。
Jan 14, 2016 5:34 AM

Jun 2015
I can just about hold basic conversation and can understand a lot of Japanese conversation if I'm listening without thinking how to reply.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 14, 2016 5:42 AM
Jul 2018
Over the years it has helped me understand the language a little. I need context but I can get the gist of most scenes. It may help a little but definitely shouldn't be a main tool.
Jan 14, 2016 5:55 AM

Apr 2012
I'm currently studying Japanese, which means both grammar and vocabulary. Before I started studying, I only watched subbed anime - which meant that I had some connotations between words and meanings.
For example, I knew the phrase "助けて - tasukete", which is used as "help me", but I never figured it had anything to do with how the verb changes form in order to hold different meanings.

Beyond that, I can almost not figure out anything from speech. It's too fast for my brain to process. With basic knowledge, reading Yotsuba& is already a challenge - and that's with the help of kanji. So I would not rely on anime in any way to learn Japanese, but instead sharpen an already avid learner with some listening practice - without subtitles.
Grammar is really important to understanding context seeing as so much is omitted in Japanese speech - a single letter can determine the position of the subject, object, direction and attribute, which means you need pinpoint listening to understand the connection between the various common words you might already know.

I think the main benefit to watching anime in Japanese is familiarizing oneself with pronunciation of the letters - English has a mishmash of sounds and illogical letter combinations(like ~ough. Through, Rough, Dough - they all sound different even though end the same, and none of them sound like "oug - h"), so native English speakers most likely have a hard time getting accustomed to not speaking like an abomination beyond a foreigner.
I'm a native Hebrew speaker so while I have sounds that don't have anything to do with English and Japanese, my pronunciation of vowels is closer to that of Japanese, which helps me a lot.

俺とお前との違いが何だ?!
Jan 14, 2016 6:07 AM
Dec 2013
It's called passive learning, where you watch/listen to something without the intention to actually learn from it (not taking notes, going back to re-watch it).

From my personal experience, I've taken about 4 years of Japanese classes, and started watching anime a few years before that.

Once you've watched enough anime (read: a lot) the words just kind of stick and the associations between English and Japanese are there, magically. Of course, I was 12? maybe when I started watching anime and maybe age does factor into how you learn a language.

For me, learning Japanese was exponentially made easier by watching anime, I'd even go so far as to say that I've learned more vocabulary and grammar structures from anime than structured classes.

As with more Asian languages, there is the written aspect that is harder to learn, and anime doesn't help with that (I can't read kanji/chinese characters very well).

So yes, listening/watching to subbed anime did help with my learning Japanese (and I'm still learning).
Jan 14, 2016 6:41 AM

Dec 2015
If the subs has a single word like nvm, however; I understand them.
Long phrases or sentence just messes with my head.
Some words that I learnt over the course of nearly 1 month:
Ohaio Gozaimas - Good Morning
Arigatto - Thanks
Oiishi - Delicious
Nandemonai - nvm/nothing (Maybe wrong)
Sugoii - Awesome!
Kawaai - Cute
Gambatte - Work hard!
Jane - I'll see you later (Maybe wrong)
Daijovu - It's fine.
Tadaash - However.
Anta - You
Hentai - Pervert!
Opaai - Breast
Skiih - I love you.
Hajeme Mashte - Welcome (Maybe wrong)
Daskete - Save me (Maybe wrong)
Demo - But
Watashi - I
Kaji - Fire
And whole bunch of other words. Also, my pronunciation is s***t.
Jan 14, 2016 6:44 AM

Jul 2015
I believe you can only learn a few words. Nothing more.
Jan 14, 2016 6:48 AM

Dec 2015
Maybe but I know many foreigners who use strange Japanese by watching only anime
Jan 14, 2016 6:52 AM

Sep 2014
Yes it helps. Listening to them speak japanese and reading the subtitles will slowly but surely let you understand the Japanese language.
It has helped me, and watching subbed anime is all I've ever done.
Jan 14, 2016 6:56 AM

Jun 2014
Well, if you're planning to become fluent in Japanese (or any new language for that matter, but we'll stick to Japanese here), I do think that watching anime would help. As in, I really don't think that it should be your primary source of learning.

English is my second language (although, it's now my primarily used one because I'm in Australia) and I learnt it at around 5. I would recommend reading/watching children's books/TV shows as they will have simpler words and phrases and doing so helped my learn English (obviously, as you get better, you watch/read media aimed at a slightly older audience). While this may seem odd if you're older (and I assume you are), jumping into teenage/adult anime would be introducing you to too many complex words/phrases/sentences.

Also, I recommend actually directly learning the language and not trying to pick it up purely by watching cartoons, but actually get help from a teacher of some kind. Watching TV and reading books will help you develop a wider vocabulary and get you used to sentence structure in conversation, but you'll probably need someone to guide you through learning a new language.
Jan 14, 2016 7:12 AM

Jun 2015
_Dan_ said:
Yes it helps to increase your vocabulary quite a lot. I can watch raws pretty easily just from watching anime for a long time and self-studying some grammar.

Agree, if you're learning japanese, anime really helps with vocabulary building.
Jan 14, 2016 7:14 AM
Jul 2018
if u can understand it without subs, you're a pro
Jan 14, 2016 7:36 AM

Apr 2013
The words you think that are similar to English are really English words. Japanese people are pronouncing foreign languages by using katakana. That's why they couldn't pronounce most of foreign words correctly (Engrish for example), and people judges them because of this without knowing their cultures.

I can understand raw anime now, but of course not everything. There are still some words I don't know, and most of them are so deep. I learned Japanese by simply watching anime and self taught, I can also know whether the person is speaking rudely or nicely. I can also read Hiragana, Katana and a few Kanji now, by simply watching the OP/ED with lyrics. This will surely going to help when I'm going to have a tour in Japan. xD

Reading the previous comments, some people misspelled some words. Well that's fine, I was also like that before. It's so fun to learn something you find so interesting, and Japanese is now my 5th language. :)

So, can you learn Japanese by simply listening/watching subbed anime?

My answer for that is, it depends on individual's knowledge and intelligence. Some people may find Japanese pronunciations difficult, and the words/writing symbols hard to memorize, but some doesn't find it hard at all.
DarkAngel1221Jan 14, 2016 8:17 AM
Jan 14, 2016 7:54 AM

Jun 2015
I learn a few words and some phrases and can recognize it when i hear people japanese people talk. but i dont know any proper way to use sentence or formulate it too. But i think subbed animes help more or less with some words and phrases.
Jan 14, 2016 8:13 AM

Nov 2009
TheBroenheim said:
Apart from a few random words, none at all.

I have no idea what 'desu' means.

It doesn't mean anything, just like english "is". In fact, it's exactly english "is".
Jan 20, 2016 6:32 AM

Jul 2015
Masum_Beast said:
Arigatto - Thanks
Oiishi - Delicious
Sugoii - Awesome!
Kawaai - Cute
Gambatte - Work hard!
Daijovu - It's fine.
Tadaash - However.
Anta - You
Hentai - Pervert!
Opaai - Breast
Skiih - I love you.
Demo - But
Watashi - I
Kaji - Fire

Almost all of them are correct.
Jaane - Good bye or Bye ("I'll see you later" is Matane)
Daijoubu - it's fine, I'm okay. don't worry, don't mind, no problem. ← it depends on its context.
Tadashi - However
Suki - love, like
Hajime Mashite - Nice to meet you
Tasukete - Save me, Help me
Kaji - fire ← Kaji exactly means fire, but there is a word which has the same pronunciation. And that word means "housework, chore".
Japanese has many words like that. Be careful.

If you are not a beginner of Japanese learning, it will help you learn Japanese.
But if you are a beginner, it won't help you.

Because subs don't contain only direct translations.
I'm just Japanese who loves Anime, Manga and Light Novels.
And I translate Japanese into English to be fluent.

Jan 20, 2016 6:35 AM
Jan 2016
Well it does help me learn some few words like Baka and Harasho.. other than that, dattebayo!~
Jan 20, 2016 6:38 AM

Apr 2015
Not really into learning Japanese but i do remember a couple of words.
Jan 20, 2016 6:38 AM
Jul 2018
Ari_the_Lion said:
Still can't speak, write or read it, but I am slowly beginning to understand it. And some Japanese words sound English. Amazing. :)

Same. I can write few basic words in japenese, but that's about it. Yet, there's time where an anime is playing in the background and for some reasons I'm not watching, but sometimes I'm able to figure out what is happening. Guess we just get use to it!
Jan 20, 2016 6:45 AM

Nov 2009
Akira-Hiiragi said:
Well it does help me learn some few words like Baka and Harasho.. other than that, dattebayo!~

What does "Harasho" mean?
(I've got a feeling it's a russian word "Хорошо", meaning "good" or "I'll do it")
Jan 20, 2016 9:06 AM

Jul 2015
flannan said:
Akira-Hiiragi said:

What does "Harasho" mean?
(I've got a feeling it's a russian word "Хорошо", meaning "good" or "I'll do it")

Yes, I also think that Harasho is Russian word "Хорошо" which means nice, good.

Jan 21, 2016 1:25 AM

Dec 2015
MyBUSHIDO said:
Masum_Beast said:
Arigatto - Thanks
Oiishi - Delicious
Sugoii - Awesome!
Kawaai - Cute
Gambatte - Work hard!
Daijovu - It's fine.
Tadaash - However.
Anta - You
Hentai - Pervert!
Opaai - Breast
Skiih - I love you.
Demo - But
Watashi - I
Kaji - Fire

Daijoubu - it's fine, I'm okay. don't worry, don't mind, no problem. ← it depends on its context.
Tadashi - However
Suki - love, like
Kaji - fire ← Kaji exactly means fire, but there is a word which has the same pronunciation. And that word means "housework, chore".

If you are not a beginner of Japanese learning, it will help you learn Japanese.

I don't plan on learning Japanese. Here's more word for you :P

Koros - Kill
Nani - What
Betsuni - Nothing/Nothing at all
kotayaro or kota yaro - Answer Me
Sayonara - Good-bye
Ikozo - Let's go (Might be wrong)
Subarashi - Marvelous
Baka - Idiot
Yoroshku neh - Looking forward to see you (Might be wrong)
Sokkah/Naruhodo - I see
Kussoh! - Damn! (Might be wrong)
Theme - Bastard/scum (Might be wrong)
Wakattah - I understand or understood
Masakah - It can't be! (Might be wrong)
Muri dah - It won't work (Might be wrong)
Sashi buri - Long time no see (Might be wrong)

These are the ones that I can think of now. I know many other words too :)
Also, why does many anime characters say: "Arigatte" instead of "Arigatto"?

Thanks for correcting me :D
Jan 21, 2016 1:39 AM

Feb 2015
just one thing that i know : "Senpai".
Jan 21, 2016 2:18 AM

Oct 2015
It will only help with common phrases
Jan 21, 2016 2:26 AM

Oct 2015
Moo! Mhm, i've learnt a few words here and there. Sadly, I've halted watching anime, the reason for this is because I can't find a lot of anime that are my taste, to binge watch.
Learning Jap from sub is one of my main reasons why I watch in sub. I learnt words my class doesn't know. It makes me feel like i'm the superior :D (which I am, since I'm the Cow Goddess).
Jan 21, 2016 2:27 AM

Oct 2015
Protaku said:
I've seen almost 60 days of anime, and I can barely know like 10 words in Japanese.
I tend to remember more if I actually try to learn though

B-b-baka! Urusai!

Why did I read that in Taiga Aisaka's voice?
Jan 21, 2016 5:11 AM

Jul 2015
Masum_Beast said:
MyBUSHIDO said:

Tadashi - However
Suki - love, like

I don't plan on learning Japanese. Here's more word for you :P

Koros - Kill
Nani - What
Betsuni - Nothing/Nothing at all
kotayaro or kota yaro - Answer Me
Sayonara - Good-bye
Ikozo - Let's go (Might be wrong)
Subarashi - Marvelous
Baka - Idiot
Yoroshku neh - Looking forward to see you (Might be wrong)
Sokkah/Naruhodo - I see
Kussoh! - Damn! (Might be wrong)
Theme - Bastard/scum (Might be wrong)
Wakattah - I understand or understood
Masakah - It can't be! (Might be wrong)
Muri dah - It won't work (Might be wrong)
Sashi buri - Long time no see (Might be wrong)

These are the ones that I can think of now. I know many other words too :)
Also, why does many anime characters say: "Arigatte" instead of "Arigatto"?

Thanks for correcting me :D

No problem.
You know those many words, so I just want you to know the correct Japanese.

Kotaero - Answer
Ikuzo - Let's go
Yoroshiku ne - looking forward to seeing you, nice to meet you
Muri dah - it's impossible, I can't do it
Hesahi buri - Long time no see

Why?...I can't tell it, but I guess it's just the difference between "Thanks" and "Thank you". The question is like "When you express your gratitude, which one do you use?".

But I can tell the difference between "Arigatee" and "Arigatou".
Arigatee is more informal and rude than Arigatou.
Arigatee is not only used for "Thank you", it is also used for "having an attitude of gratitude" (This use is the same to "Arigatai" but rude)
And Arigatee is commonly used by men.

I recommend you to use "Arigatou" when you want to use "Thank you" in Japanese.

I hope my explanation will help you understand the difference.

Jan 21, 2016 5:16 AM

Jul 2015
Ushi_Chan said:
Protaku said:
I've seen almost 60 days of anime, and I can barely know like 10 words in Japanese.
I tend to remember more if I actually try to learn though

B-b-baka! Urusai!

Why did I read that in Taiga Aisaka's voice?

I guess it's because that "B-b-baka! Urusai" made you think of Tsundere, and the character was the Tsundere character for you.

Jan 21, 2016 5:25 AM

Sep 2015
about 70 days in total of watching anime

->Can say few basic sentences here and there
-> Can pronounce around 500 words, write about 300 of them (not in kanji,katakana,hiragana or any of that tho, so with western letters)
->I know a few kanji and one or two meanings for them, basically nothing.
->I can watch some episodes without subs, basically understanding what they say (70% can "understand", 30% goes right through the window)
->I can sometimes tell the difference in badly subbed anime

I don't know if I'm considered a fast or a slow learner?
Jan 21, 2016 5:44 AM

Nov 2009
Salokannel2 said:

118 days of watching anime. Have already looked up and started studying japanese textbooks.
Have about the same stats, except I can read kana and know a bit more kanji.

I guess you're rather fast. Maybe you should try the textbooks too.
Jan 21, 2016 5:52 AM

May 2015
Even before I started learning Japanese as a language, I could get the general idea of what most Japanese people were saying just from having watched subbed anime for so many years. I wasn't confident that I could speak a grammatically correct sentence (and I never attempted to do so), but I could understand a basic level of Japanese purely through subbed anime.

People are obviously incredulous to the idea, but ultimately everyone learns in different ways. I truly think that visual learners can remember the written words accompanying the spoken ones well enough when repeated over a long period of time (such as myself). I can assure you, I could understand a lot more than 'neko' and 'itadakimasu'. I just wish people wouldn't immediately raise their 'weaboo' flags in protest to what should be a perfectly reasonable question. The anime community in general is embarrassing, forget the weaboos.

Jan 21, 2016 7:25 AM

Sep 2015
flannan said:
Salokannel2 said:

118 days of watching anime. Have already looked up and started studying japanese textbooks.
Have about the same stats, except I can read kana and know a bit more kanji.

I guess you're rather fast. Maybe you should try the textbooks too.
Haha cool!
Yeah I wish I could read too x)
-> Im starting university the coming fall, maybe I'll pick Japanese as a extracurricular activity?
Jan 21, 2016 7:28 AM
Feb 2015
It does help if you are in the process of learning Japanese with books, teachers and stuff. On it's own though...not more than a few words and phrases.

I myself learned more Japanese in a few weeks, than I did in over a thousands of anime episodes.
Jan 21, 2016 7:38 AM

Mar 2014
chotto sukoshi lol i mean i could probably only speak like a schoolgirl though: "uzai" "maji????" "uso! hontou ni!? chou omoshiroi!" "iya...chou kimochi warui" "sugoku kawaii/kakkoii!!!"...donna kanji desu
Jan 21, 2016 7:43 AM

Nov 2011
not really. anime might possibly help with Japanese immersion, but not because of the subs. You could try and use anime as a study source - by trying to transcribe what the characters say and look up the grammar used, but the effectiveness of that method is questionable at best. also, what my signature says.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jan 21, 2016 8:07 AM

Dec 2015
I have learned several words or phrases.
Sometimes I can put on a subbed episode and clean the house without watching and understand what they are saying.
Even when I go to sleep I'll put on a subbed anime, close my eyes to sleep and know exactly what they are saying. Which is weird, I would love to be able to do that intentionally -_-.
Jan 21, 2016 8:29 AM

Jul 2013
I thought it would, but I question whether or not the Japanese actually use English phrases randomly in their speeches. I think not.
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Jan 21, 2016 8:34 AM

Nov 2011
Demi_V said:
I thought it would, but I question whether or not the Japanese actually use English phrases randomly in their speeches. I think not.

depends on what you define "English phrase"
the word "now" (なお) is currently "in" as a fashionable way of saying 今 (ima - now)
you'll see Japanese people using it fairly often.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Modern chill anime osts like these?

Atmogenic - Yesterday

14 by Atmogenic »»
1 minute ago

» Which character deserves a boycott?

SgtBateMan - 5 minutes ago

0 by SgtBateMan »»
5 minutes ago

» Anime you wouldn't watch?

coolyfruity - Jun 15

43 by Gator »»
6 minutes ago

» Do y'all fw Anitubers?

IssyBoy - 26 minutes ago

7 by Gator »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you have animes you've rated 5 and under on your completed list, why? ( 1 2 )

melodyily - Jun 15

63 by Gator »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.