Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 6, 2015 10:10 PM
Nov 2015
Looking for underrated/under appreciated anime. I'm really in need of a show and I don't really like what's out right now.
Dec 6, 2015 10:32 PM

Jul 2015
Check out Planetes
Dec 6, 2015 10:33 PM

Jun 2015
Humanity has Declined.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 7, 2015 12:13 AM

Nov 2013
Nami.
You all need to watch Nami.

Dec 7, 2015 12:18 AM

Nov 2014
Kuuchuu Buranko: Has a very different art style but the content is extremely good
(http://myanimelist.net/anime/6774/Kuuchuu_Buranko)
Dec 7, 2015 12:32 AM

Feb 2015
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin
Dec 7, 2015 1:16 AM

Feb 2014
+1 Planetes
Noein
Michiko to Hatchin
Seirei no Moribito
Kemono no Souja Erin
Eve no Jikan
Dennou Coil
Momo e no Tegami
Dec 7, 2015 1:23 AM

Apr 2013
Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World
Kaiba
Serial Experiments Lain
Kyousogiga
Aria series
Rainbow
Shinsekai Yori
Dec 7, 2015 1:24 AM

Sep 2009
Are all of those really underrated? I've heard of all most of them O.o
Try Kannazuki no Miko
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Dec 7, 2015 1:27 AM

Sep 2014
Elemental Gelade

Pandora Hearts

Hero Tales

Moribito Guardian of the Spirit

Victorian Romance Emma(hidden high end Very Good)

Spice and Wolf

Kemono no souja erin(forget about hidden gem, It's a hidden high end Great)

The Legend of Condor Hero(another hidden high end Great)

The Legend of Qin/aka Qin's Moon((very close to high end Great quality, but falls just short due to poor scene "placement" choices, but still a pretty amazing anime)

Twelve Kingdoms(hidden high end great)

Aishiteruze Baby

Saiunkoku Monogatari(hidden high end Very Good))

Busou Renkin

Detective Academy Q(hidden high end Very Good, and easily the best real mystery anime out there)

Deltora Quest

Mysterious Cities of Gold(original series. hidden high end Very Good)

Hikaru no Go(hidden high end Vevery Good)

Hanasakeru Seishounen(hidden high end Very good/low end Great)

Guin Saga

Letter Bee(lingering around hidden high end Very Good)

Shadow Skill

The Third

Utawarerumono

Here you go :)

Any anime I need make an additional note about, is either standard hidden gem quality or above average hidden gem Quality.
ZoltorDec 7, 2015 1:31 AM
Dec 7, 2015 2:21 AM

Jun 2011
MortalMelancholy said:
Try Kannazuki no Miko
This. Barely anyone knows about it.

a few more:
Etotama (nice Comedy anime with good animation)
Sora no Method (light hearted Drama/SoL)
Hakkenden (action/supernatural and I don't know why this is so underrated, is pretty good)
Walkure Romanze (harem but more unique setting)
I'm feeling thank you
Dec 7, 2015 1:37 PM

Oct 2013
Break Blade
Mardock Scramble
Garo
C: The money of soul and possibility control
Dec 7, 2015 1:38 PM

Jan 2013
Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku
Abenobashi Mahou Arcade (if you want mindless fun)
Dec 7, 2015 5:32 PM
Nov 2015
Zoltor said:

Spice and Wolf

Oh god, is this what underrated means these days?
Stein's Gate is the worst anime of all time.
Dec 7, 2015 6:17 PM

Sep 2014
-----noname----- said:
Zoltor said:

Spice and Wolf

Hidden Gem, and underrated are not the same thing. For the most part, Spice, and Wolf even to this day, is still widely unknown.

Spice and wolf is definitely not a underrated anime, infact It's probally slightly overrated if anything, however that doesn't negate the fact It's still a hidden gem.
Dec 7, 2015 6:52 PM

Jul 2014
Shigurui
xxxHOLiC
+1 Kuuchuu Buranko
Dec 7, 2015 8:20 PM

Jul 2011
Zoltor said:
Elemental Gelade

Pandora Hearts

Hero Tales

Moribito Guardian of the Spirit

Victorian Romance Emma(hidden high end Very Good)

Spice and Wolf

Kemono no souja erin(forget about hidden gem, It's a hidden high end Great)

The Legend of Condor Hero(another hidden high end Great)

The Legend of Qin/aka Qin's Moon((very close to high end Great quality, but falls just short due to poor scene "placement" choices, but still a pretty amazing anime)

Twelve Kingdoms(hidden high end great)

Aishiteruze Baby

Saiunkoku Monogatari(hidden high end Very Good))

Busou Renkin

Detective Academy Q(hidden high end Very Good, and easily the best real mystery anime out there)

Deltora Quest

Mysterious Cities of Gold(original series. hidden high end Very Good)

Hikaru no Go(hidden high end Vevery Good)

Hanasakeru Seishounen(hidden high end Very good/low end Great)

Guin Saga

Letter Bee(lingering around hidden high end Very Good)

Shadow Skill

The Third

Utawarerumono

Here you go :)

Any anime I need make an additional note about, is either standard hidden gem quality or above average hidden gem Quality.

I don't know many of these, but those that I know I strongly agree with.

Utawarerumono is based on a videogame, but to my surprise ended up being one of my most repeatedly watched anime. I do not however recommend the currently airing sequel. The original wraps everything up nicely and the sequel is barely related. Edit: It's on your list.

Victorian Romance Emma is a bit slow, but it really feels like the setting was done right. The drama is done in such a way that it isn't irritating and the ending wraps everything up nicely.

Aishiteruze Baby I believe to be one of the best slice of life's out there and it is overall just a wonderfully warm story.

Spice and wolf is certainly a gem, idk about hidden though. The economics in it are written well and the romance feels great, but if memory serves me right the ending is a bit lackluster.

Hikaru no Go sounds boring from the description, but it goes to show you that and amazing writer can make anything awesome. Certainly worth the watch.

Saiunkoku Monogatari was also amazing, but be prepared for a long watch because both seasons pack 40 episodes.

A few to add to the list are:
Jin-Rou- I feel like a lot of people know of this movie, but the number of users on this site for it are fairly low. It's probably the saddest most interesting anime movie I've ever seen. Very thought provoking and well worth the 90mins.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom- isn't all that hidden, but I don't see it brought up very often. Great action scenes, tear-jerking story, and every action the protagonist takes makes you both feel sorry for him yet condemn him at the same time.
Dec 7, 2015 8:45 PM

Nov 2015
Serial Experiments Lain
Dec 7, 2015 8:54 PM

Sep 2014
jroberter said:
Zoltor said:

I don't know many of these, but those that I know I strongly agree with.

Utawarerumono is based on a videogame, but to my surprise ended up being one of my most repeatedly watched anime. I do not however recommend the currently airing sequel. The original wraps everything up nicely and the sequel is barely related. Edit: It's on your list.

Victorian Romance Emma is a bit slow, but it really feels like the setting was done right. The drama is done in such a way that it isn't irritating and the ending wraps everything up nicely.

Aishiteruze Baby I believe to be one of the best slice of life's out there and it is overall just a wonderfully warm story.

Spice and wolf is certainly a gem, idk about hidden though. The economics in it are written well and the romance feels great, but if memory serves me right the ending is a bit lackluster.

Hikaru no Go sounds boring from the description, but it goes to show you that and amazing writer can make anything awesome. Certainly worth the watch.

Saiunkoku Monogatari was also amazing, but be prepared for a long watch because both seasons pack 40 episodes.

A few to add to the list are:
Jin-Rou- I feel like a lot of people know of this movie, but the number of users on this site for it are fairly low. It's probably the saddest most interesting anime movie I've ever seen. Very thought provoking and well worth the 90mins.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom- isn't all that hidden, but I don't see it brought up very often. Great action scenes, tear-jerking story, and every action the protagonist takes makes you both feel sorry for him yet condemn him at the same time.

I spent most of 4 years just going through master databases, and cherry picking the best anime(and succeeding at such), so yea, I tend to find a lot of anime, that most people never even heard of. I took this year off from doing such, but up until I stopped looking, I was still finding a very good or high end very good(with a occasional High End Great) at a rate of 1 every other month, so yea still seems like there's plenty more amazing anime yet to be found :)

Wait what? You're messing with me, there's no sequel for it, is there? I really hate the entire last arc+ending to Utawarerumono, so I would be very interested in a sequel.

With Hikaru no Go, It's more then the writing, the only studio capable of pulling magic like this off, is Studio Pierrot, if anyone else tried to turn it into a anime, it would've been boring as hell.

However every so often, Pierrot chooses one anime to go gunho over, and frankly, it doesn't matter what the anime is about(as long as the writing is atleast somewhat sound), if they want to turn it into some ground breaking amazing anime, they're going to do it, there's no stopping Pierrot, when they go all out on a anime.

I rate Aishiteruze Baby as probally the 2nd best "pure" (this does count wuxia series, or things like Inuyasha, nor Kingdom of couse, just straight up normal drams, but still) drama anime out there(2nd to only Kemono no souja erin),

Speaking of hidden gem movies, I forgot to mention Ark

It's a Korean anime, only released in Korea, and the US, so sadly a lot fewer people know of it(one of the best anime movies ever made, and this coming from someone who sees scifi in anime, as typically being a turn off)
ZoltorDec 7, 2015 8:59 PM
Dec 7, 2015 9:49 PM

May 2012
Some excellent shows in these lists. I'll toss in a few that haven't been mentioned.

Hataraki Man - A workplace slice-of-life story about a 28-yo female editor coping with overwork and patriarchy at a weekly magazine

Otona Joshi no Anime - Four emotional stories by female authors about adult Japanese women

Hyouge Mono - A somewhat askew retelling of the events of the Sengoku period seen through the eyes of a clever negotiator working for Oda Nobunaga. Sasuke has a passion for Japanese tea ceremonies and the pottery masterpieces used for them. Many historical personages appear, or have stand-ins like the main character himself.

Bartender - An episodic show set in a Ginza bar. The titular character, Ryuu, is known as the Glass of the Gods because of his unique ability to select the right alcoholic concoction to soothe his patrons' weary souls.

Oh! Edo Rocket - Based on a stage play by the screenwriter for Kill la Kill and Gurren Lagann, this is a zany satire set in an 1843 Edo where the people have TVs and the Internet. A young woman appears at the home of ace fireworks maker Tamaya Seikichi and asks him to build her a rocket to the moon. Seikichi faces a serious obstacle to helping the lovely Sora. Public entertainment like fireworks have been banned by a decree from the Shogunate known as the Tenpou Reforms.

Kurenai - An unusual mix of action, comedy, and drama. Sixteen-year-old Kurenai Shinkarou becomes the guardian of a kidnapped seven-year-old heiress from a powerful family with a dark secret. One of the best acted shows I've watched; the mains are voiced by Sawashiro Miyuki and then fifteen-year-old Aoi Yuuki in a breakout performance. Director Kou Matsuo made the troupe's performances come alive by recording them collectively before drawing the actual frames.
Dec 7, 2015 11:21 PM

Jun 2011
Onisama e
http://myanimelist.net/anime/795/Oniisama_e...

You may have heard of it's more popular cousin written by the same mangaka Rose of Versailles, and it is obviously done by the same person but it is distinctly different. I really enjoyed the politics of it and the updated animation, well, compared to Rose of Versailles... XD Lot of drama.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Dec 7, 2015 11:33 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Hi Tekk7, I am a fan of hidden gems too! I hope you enjoy these anime as much as I do:

- Hoozuki no Reitetsu -> Comedy that takes place in Japanese Hell
- Saraiya Gorou -> Art is a bit bizarre, but you'll get used to it hopefully (Samurai Era)
- Uchouten Kazoku -> Tanuki that tries to adapt to modern city life
- Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita -> Characters are interesting and the design is colorful, few humans left in the world + little fairies exist (mostly comedy)
- Kimi to Boku -> Might be a little boring at first since it's a SOL, but hopefully, you'll love the group of boys there.
- Rose of Versailles -> Old but gold anime

Good luck!
Dec 7, 2015 11:39 PM

Nov 2014
Or, you can just join club that specializes in this stuff :)

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=64163
What is wrong with loving someone who doesn't exist ? Absolutely nothing. As long as you make peace with it.
Dec 8, 2015 9:07 AM

Jul 2011
Zoltor said:

Wait what? You're messing with me, there's no sequel for it, is there? I really hate the entire last arc+ending to Utawarerumono, so I would be very interested in a sequel.

However every so often, Pierrot chooses one anime to go gunho over, and frankly, it doesn't matter what the anime is about(as long as the writing is atleast somewhat sound), if they want to turn it into some ground breaking amazing anime, they're going to do it, there's no stopping Pierrot, when they go all out on a anime.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/30901/Utawarerumono:_Itsuwari_no_Kamen
This is the kinda sequel to utawarerumono. It's in progress. Without really spoiling anything:

I agree with you on studio Pierrot, but with Hikaru no Go, the story didn't quite finish so I read the manga. The manga was wonderful as well, which is why I credited the writing. I can't think of another studio that could have done that either though.

I started watching Condor Hero from your recs as well and despite the age it's surprisingly good so far.

jroberterDec 8, 2015 9:13 AM
Dec 8, 2015 9:50 AM

Sep 2014
jroberter said:
Zoltor said:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/30901/Utawarerumono:_Itsuwari_no_Kamen
This is the kinda sequel to utawarerumono. It's in progress. Without really spoiling anything:

I agree with you on studio Pierrot, but with Hikaru no Go, the story didn't quite finish so I read the manga. The manga was wonderful as well, which is why I credited the writing. I can't think of another studio that could have done that either though.

I started watching Condor Hero from your recs as well and despite the age it's surprisingly good so far.

Hm I'll have to wait to check this out, but I don't think It's a sequel, instead it seems like a retelling. Hm, this could end up being awesome or a train wreck, guess we'll have to wait, and see.

Huh, the Manga goes past the events of episode 75 of Hikaru no Go? I thought it wrapped things up pretty nicely, It's a open ended ending, but that's really the kind of ending such a series should have, do I'm surprise the author made the manga go further then where the anime left off.

The sick thing is, they've been pulling thase hail merry plays since the 80s, and they're still doing it :) When Pierrot gets really into a anime they're making, you definitely wouldn't want to be caught betting against them, because "You Will Lose" :)

Yea It's amazing, very few anime from 2001, and earlier hold up so well, and the execution is perfect. This is what happens when the company who makes the live action adaptions, makes a anime adaptation(Jade is a animation studio that is owned by TVB, the company that makes the live action adaptations). No shoehorning bad jokes, no extra fluff, nothing but an attempt at trying to make the most perfect adaptation possible :)
ZoltorDec 8, 2015 9:57 AM
Dec 8, 2015 10:26 AM
Jul 2018
Look at mah signature pls
Dec 9, 2015 10:12 PM

Jul 2007
Kaitou Saint Tail - I like a few series that have thieves as the main characters. This is one of those series.
Mahou Shoujo-tai Arusu - One of my favorites, the story and characters are a bit simple but the world and art is amazing.
Kodocha - It can be a little slow at parts, but the characters are fantastic. Sana has so much energy and always keeps me entertained. I wish I was that cool as a kid..
Sugar Sugar Rune - A really well fleshed out anime with magical girls. Love it.
Cheeky Angel - I've watched this show many times. Its story is simple but the characters are really likeable. A very easy to watch show.
Dec 9, 2015 10:25 PM

Jun 2013
try this one

Dec 9, 2015 10:48 PM

Jan 2014
Eden of Death
The Last Ninja
Legend of Z
Hell Mountain
This is not how my teen romance was supposed to be (s1 and s2)
Shinjuku no Panic!

all pretty "hidden" and underrated anime.
Not all those wander are lost.
Dec 9, 2015 11:03 PM

May 2014
+1 Nami
Stratos 4
Gallery Fake
Nijuu Menou no Musume
Ganba no Bouken
Nobunaga Concerto
Dec 10, 2015 5:13 PM
Nov 2015
Zoltor said:
-----noname----- said:

Hidden Gem, and underrated are not the same thing. For the most part, Spice, and Wolf even to this day, is still widely unknown.

Spice and wolf is definitely not a underrated anime, infact It's probally slightly overrated if anything, however that doesn't negate the fact It's still a hidden gem.

Tekk7 said:
Looking for underrated/under appreciated anime. I'm really in need of a show and I don't really like what's out right now.

I was focusing on the fact he wanted underated and he used these terms in similar fashion.
Stein's Gate is the worst anime of all time.
Dec 10, 2015 5:17 PM

Jun 2015
Let's see here...

Bartender
Requiem from the Darkness
Black Cat
Monster
Coyote Ragtime Show
Dec 10, 2015 5:37 PM

Aug 2010
Noragami it's fucking awesome

More topics from this board

» RWBY

ReD_Gaara - Nov 15, 2016

7 by Alexioos95 »»
2 hours ago

» I'm looking for mature, realistic high school romance media

KietaTeenRomance - May 30

7 by KietaTeenRomance »»
6 hours ago

» Shoujosei with no/little romance

misamxsa - May 30

7 by Zarutaku »»
10 hours ago

» What's the cruelest manga/anime world out there?

Mahoxe - Dec 1, 2015

11 by Prfpnd_179 »»
10 hours ago

» Looking for chillin horror anime about ghosts

Shabo-kun - May 31

7 by Zarutaku »»
Yesterday, 11:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.