Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 »
Jan 11, 2015 4:43 AM

Jan 2013
He made a freaking big hole in Asia. Holy crap.
Well, I think that this series works better on LN format than anime.
But I would still watch a second season.
Jan 12, 2015 4:59 AM
Aug 2012
materiel burst and regrowth does that no make tatsuya god of all >.< hes mostly immortal and can cause a hydrogen atom explosion (atom bomb) from literally anywhere i dont think they could create a hazard he couldnt overcome
Jan 12, 2015 5:02 AM

Apr 2008
kingfelix92 said:
materiel burst and regrowth does that no make tatsuya god of all >.< hes mostly immortal and can cause a hydrogen atom explosion (atom bomb) from literally anywhere i dont think they could create a hazard he couldnt overcome

You'd be surprised
Jan 18, 2015 7:11 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Great anime 9/10. Though with so much stuff going on I got damn demand another season :D
Jan 29, 2015 2:35 PM

Jul 2012
That final spell. DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!! I've seen some overpowered stuff in my lifetime, but that was beautiful!
Otakon 2014 Cosplay: Goku
Jan 29, 2015 2:35 PM

Apr 2014
Give us season 2. Save my waifus.
Feb 5, 2015 6:35 PM
Feb 2015
I personally enjoyed this anime. It’s interesting to see an OP main character once in a while. I think that the disdain towards Tatsuya’s character has to deal with the ease at which he is able to perform everything that he does and the lack of emotion with which he does it. In other anime series, the main character usually goes through some sort of trial and then finds a strength that he/she did not know that they had. There is usually an element of growth with the advent of newfound strength. People tend to like these types of characters because they can relate with them. However, the human aspect of growing through pain and suffering is lost with Tatsuya. He simply doesn’t seem human, but maybe that’s the point. I believe that Tatsuya was physically constructed to be OP against his will. There are mentions in the anime that Tatsuya was not originally able to use magic, he has a power that nobody else can imitate, he was created to be a weapon, and the only emotion he has left is anger for his sister’s sake. While some people may become disinterested in such an OP character, it had the reverse effect on me. I found myself wanting to know more about Tatsuya and his past.

Tatsuya was originally unable to use magic and now he has a God-like ability. Where and how did he obtain this ability? Why did Tatsuya’s father ask if he hated his mother? Was his mother the one that approved the order to create Tatsuya into a weapon? Is his lack of humanity and overpowering strength the reason that the Yotsuba’s show hatred towards him but don’t disown him?

These are just some of my thoughts on the anime after stumbling onto and watching it; I have yet to read the light novels. Has anyone else thought about these things or was Tatsuya’s OP’ness too much?
hyou59Feb 5, 2015 10:44 PM
Feb 6, 2015 9:50 AM

May 2014
I really enjoyed this show.

It has lot of nice characters and cool action, when it doesn't talk about nonsense. The OST and art were also very beautiful.

I guess less talking and more romance would've been better.

I would definitely watch a second season.
Feb 11, 2015 9:21 AM

Aug 2013
Hahahaha at long last Material Burst.
Damn I was waiting for this moment the whole time.
Tatsuya could destroy the entire earth anytime he desire. LOL.
Well it was pretty good overall.. since I read the light novel I could enjoy without any explanations.
Some of the fights were good and nice to see the characters interact.
Alright back to reading the light novel hehehe.
Feb 12, 2015 2:21 AM

May 2013
ahxiian said:
Tatsuya could destroy the entire earth anytime he desire. LOL.

You know, that destruction of planet requires much more energy than 20 Megatons?
No wonder, dragon with no head must be retarded.
Feb 16, 2015 1:37 AM

Nov 2009
Oh well the adventures of Godsuya are over. I thought this show was pretty good but I did feel like they info dumped a bit too much.

8/10 But I honestly think this show had the potential to be even better than that.
Feb 21, 2015 7:04 PM

Jul 2013
I don't find the characters self-sacrificial nor do I see any of them standing up and fighting for their beliefs, at all. Let me know when the characters go through hell literally and figuratively or when they get to grow incredibly wise and gain a great level of maturity and true internal strength.
Mar 1, 2015 12:27 AM

Aug 2012
Material Burst/10
Mar 7, 2015 12:51 PM

Aug 2010
Though i felt indifferent towards it in the beginning, I actually pretty like this series towards the end and now i want more :O
Mar 13, 2015 3:03 AM

May 2013
Kurt_Irving said:
I don't find the characters self-sacrificial nor do I see any of them standing up and fighting for their beliefs, at all. Let me know when the characters go through hell literally and figuratively or when they get to grow incredibly wise and gain a great level of maturity and true internal strength.

Not gonna happen. Not in Mahouka.
Apr 6, 2015 2:59 PM
Sep 2014
Kurt_Irving said:

I hope they will never do that. Im actually sick and tired of anime like that. They get some hardship and they grow up and gain super duper powers in one episode. As i see, in this anime all characters are op and more or less mature. So, why would they need to do something like that?
Im pretty sure we will see some harsh history of MC in next season so i guess you will see at least something you named :)
Apr 11, 2015 2:29 PM

Jun 2014
great episode
Apr 30, 2015 10:28 AM

Apr 2015
thank's god it's over. I only watched the anime and i really hated a lot of things in this serie. Chiba Miyuki definitely is the worst character i saw in this entire show. And this incest thing to me was so unnecessary. It's a pity that an anime with so many interesting characters was based only in the siblings relationship.
Apr 30, 2015 2:40 PM

Sep 2012
sun123 said:
thank's god it's over. I only watched the anime and i really hated a lot of things in this serie. Chiba Miyuki definitely is the worst character i saw in this entire show. And this incest thing to me was so unnecessary. It's a pity that an anime with so many interesting characters was based only in the siblings relationship.

its not even 100% sure that they are real siblings, meany even think hes human made person
May 12, 2015 3:00 AM

Dec 2008
I was so disapponited with this show..but...shit happens
May 13, 2015 12:29 AM
Jan 2014
It's funny how everyone was baffled by Tatsuya's powers. Little do they know that the G.O.A.T. and his sister are from the most powerful family in the magic world. This shit needs a season two
May 26, 2015 7:35 PM

Nov 2014
Not sure what I think of the show, very enjoyable but boring at times. Tatsuya was the best part of the show
Hi there
Jun 3, 2015 4:04 PM

Mar 2012
Wasn't that bad, slow as hell though until about midway through the competition arc...but still enjoyable.

SacredFactor said:

Mahouka is RACIST to the Chinese. In Mahouka,Chinese are CONSTANTLY the bad guy where Chinese role is causing World War 3,raping a child, trying to sabotage a tournament, industrial spies and invade Yokohama.
Read more at http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1278353&show=340#REyC6Uf1v6VySQ7F.99

Oh yeah. I guess I wasn't the only one to get a xenophobic vibe from this, but well it's not a serious complaint that affected the show's quality which isn't much to speak of, just something that made me laugh.

After watching many shows that use the North American continent (US) as symbolic for oppression and/or bad guys....was at least refreshing to watch a show that used another continent for a change.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jun 17, 2015 2:47 PM

Jul 2013
RexZShadow said:
Renaultclio101 said:
Decent plot and Op character, just my type of anime BUT it went wrong in many ways like skipped episodes, Sister/brother complex just feels too weird.

Could be a 8/10 but it just made it to a 7/10

Idk why the rushed the story like fuck, like there was no reason they needed to cover 3 arc in 1 season, the 3rd arc was so fucking rushed -.- could have easily drag the school competition to finish up the season easy and still might feel a bit rushed.

After re-watching then browsing this page, I must apolgise for answering late but it is still a 7. I do like over powered character but there were scenes of sister complex which is weird and could be spent with decent plot or Mayumi Saegusa relationship
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 20, 2015 12:49 AM

Apr 2014
I retract my statement about Tatsuya using "apparently little effort" to heal Kirihara and Kei. Wow, so in order to revive and restore others, he must read their Eidos and experience their pain multiplied based on the amount of time that has passed. He is taking their pain upon himself in order to save them. And as if he hasn't already reached deity status enough, he completely eliminates an entire fleet in one wide ranged attack. What the fuck.

Overall, I found this show to be enjoyable though lacking in many aspects. I didn't feel like anyone really received any substantial development. Sure we get to know many of them, but only on the surface. Tatsuya received the most, but there's still so many questions surrounding him and his past that have yet to be answered. Since this is a long running light novel series, I don't expect them to front-load all of the character development, but at the same time I do expect that at least some of them are given adequate time to sufficiently display a non-trivial amount of depth. Tatsuya still remains a very intriguing character to me despite his blandness and lack of emotion, Miyuki remains quite adorable, and Erika <3.

I felt the first arc started off quite strong with the great "show don't tell" approach toward world building and how all the characters were introduced. However, after a few episodes it became somewhat uninteresting, and the incident involving Blanche was anticlimatic and didn't really have much to it.

The second arc started off mildly interesting, particularly with that one cliffhanger with the suicide attack toward the bus of students. After that scene, the arc's progression merely made me drop the show. It was clearly a character focused arc, however it failed to use the time wisely and actually explore any of them in detail aside from Tatsuya. The episode with the battle between First High and Third High and Masaki vs Tatsuya was great though.

The third arc seemed to shift away from the characters and focus on the plot itself which unfortunately also lacked intrigue or depth. It was essentially the evil Chinese committing a horribly botched invasion of mainland Japan and were slaughtered by its citizens. The last few episodes gave me the impression that the author has a fair amount of nationalistic pride with the scenes of the regularly dressed people fighting back against foreign invaders and the Japanese military possessing such power and prowess on the battlefield. The action and battles themselves were all right.

The anime introduces numerous concepts and issues ranging from the technical details of the world and magic to the meaning of equality to being viewed as a tool to family bloodline politics to politics regarding one's role and obligations. The way that some characters were given screentime also suggested that they had more complexity to them and their dynamics with other characters. All of these interesting and different plot lines were created by the show, but most if not all were executed in a lackluster manner. Essentially, I felt they half-assed many things that they had brought up only to allow to fall to the wayside. The action and Tatsuya's badass moments were good overall.

Despite all of the above, this show still did just enough to maintain my attention, and I would be interested in watching a second season. I also do realize that this is a poor adaptation of the light novel, and because I haven't read it I can only attest to the anime.

Arc Ratings:

Enrollment: 6/10
Nine School Competition: 6/10
Yokohama Disturbance: 6/10

Overall Rating: 6/10

Praise be to Him.
ZeroDragonJun 20, 2015 12:54 AM
Jun 24, 2015 5:54 PM
Oct 2012
ZeroDragon said:
It was essentially the evil Chinese committing a horribly botched invasion of mainland Japan and were slaughtered by its citizens

Mongols, not Chinese. Satou likes to base things on myths and history. The Great Asian Alliance is basically the Yuan Empire and Tatsuya is the kamikaze that destroyed the Mongol fleet. The GAA has the same basic territory as the Yuan, Dahan represents the Song dynasty that was destroyed by the Yuan.

The books do a better job, Satou, even though he describes the enemy as being horrible, always states that everyone (including the Japanese) does the same things. Yes the GAA looks like buffoons, but all of Tatsuya's enemies, including the Japanese, are equally underwhelming.
Jun 28, 2015 3:10 AM

May 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
Mongols, not Chinese. Satou likes to base things on myths and history. The Great Asian Alliance is basically the Yuan Empire and Tatsuya is the kamikaze that destroyed the Mongol fleet. The GAA has the same basic territory as the Yuan, Dahan represents the Song dynasty that was destroyed by the Yuan.

IIRC China conquered Mongolia in Mahouka, not the other way.
Jul 4, 2015 10:11 AM

Mar 2008
07/10
Jul 8, 2015 1:50 PM
Sep 2012
Bad adaptation.. but at least it got animated.. still enjoyable for me 8/10 for godsuya .. hype for 2 season :3
Jul 9, 2015 10:11 AM

Sep 2013
Not as bad as people made it out to be. Well its a little cliched and Tatsuya and Miyuki's "sibling love" is pretty fucked up but its a pretty entertaining anime. I feel bad for that Lu Gonghu guy, every time he attacks there would be three to four guys against him and he gets beaten up lol.

"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Aug 5, 2015 5:21 AM

May 2015
Why??? Season 2 where are you??!!
Aug 18, 2015 2:56 PM

Sep 2014
Not sure how to rate this. It has some very nice moments and I enjoyed watching, but tbh it could have been way better. Not that I certainly dislike the OP MC, but it was way more interesting when he used his ninja close combat skills or surprised everyone with new tricks.
I will probably read the LN when I have time, because it felt way to shallow.
They have many interesting characters ( I sometimes got confused because there are so many names and organisations and barely any explanation..)
But from the anime I know: OP MC is totally OP and loves his sister, sister and him have some kind of problem with aunt, MC has/wants to be the bodyguard for sister. They want to bring down their own family.
26 episodes and I dont know why the most OP MC in the last few years has not done that ._.

The show would have been better imo if it would have stayed like it started, but the moment actual war starts it sucked, because you have a MC that revives the dead and just obliterates everything he wants- while the interesting side charas dont get enough screentime. It felt odd that someone would attack a place where hundreds of very capable magic holders are your enemy, besides the regular forces. I would like to give it 8/10 but the adaption just has to many drawbacks.

started well and interesting but ended plain and unexiting.
7/10

PS: Why did the student council president lost her position midway? She was always the most capable leader of all the students and I liked how she managed everything.
Comander-07Aug 18, 2015 3:05 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Aug 18, 2015 8:24 PM

Feb 2014
I think there are some things not explained until the final EpisodeI wish receiving a second season
Aug 20, 2015 12:51 AM

Nov 2014
amateur said:
BeatzMe said:

Only 3rd? Now I'm curious. Tell me, who's more OP than Onii-sama?

Well there's "Jesus" Kira from Gundam Seed ,that's for sure.

Maybe Kiroto from SAO?
Nope,its izayoi from mondaiji and sora from no game no life.(one is strength,one is intelligent)
Where Words Fail, Music Speaks.

-Han Christian Anderson
Aug 25, 2015 7:13 AM

May 2014
Comander-07 said:
Not sure how to rate this. It has some very nice moments and I enjoyed watching, but tbh it could have been way better. Not that I certainly dislike the OP MC, but it was way more interesting when he used his ninja close combat skills or surprised everyone with new tricks.
I will probably read the LN when I have time, because it felt way to shallow.
They have many interesting characters ( I sometimes got confused because there are so many names and organisations and barely any explanation..)
But from the anime I know: OP MC is totally OP and loves his sister, sister and him have some kind of problem with aunt, MC has/wants to be the bodyguard for sister. They want to bring down their own family.
26 episodes and I dont know why the most OP MC in the last few years has not done that ._.

The show would have been better imo if it would have stayed like it started, but the moment actual war starts it sucked, because you have a MC that revives the dead and just obliterates everything he wants- while the interesting side charas dont get enough screentime. It felt odd that someone would attack a place where hundreds of very capable magic holders are your enemy, besides the regular forces. I would like to give it 8/10 but the adaption just has to many drawbacks.

started well and interesting but ended plain and unexiting.
7/10

PS: Why did the student council president lost her position midway? She was always the most capable leader of all the students and I liked how she managed everything.

They were using anti magician guns and bullets and some of those GAA soldiers were also magicians,everything went haywire when they animated bullets bouncing off barriers from magicians (except for Juumonji's barrier) that wasn't in the LN.

Mayumi lost her position,coz you know she's already graduating and in her last term of highschool and needed to focus in her university entrance exams and needed to pass the torch to someone else.They skipped the SC election SS which could have cleared it up.
Sep 6, 2015 10:26 PM

Apr 2013
What a waste of time. How could someone in his right mind demand another season of this abomination ?
Sep 20, 2015 7:22 AM

Sep 2012
Always-Hungry said:
What a waste of time. How could someone in his right mind demand another season of this abomination ?

some may think ur not at ur right mind for not liking it, ppl are different, ppl have different taste, if u can't get it in to ur thick skull then something is wrong with u, then they are right to think that :)
Sep 27, 2015 2:02 PM

Jul 2012
After rewatching the series in a quicker pace vs airing you really get to notice how the music and ambient sounds really stand out. A few of the scenes seemed to pop a lot more than what I had remembered.

That was a pleasant surprised that I had missed a little from the first watch.
Sep 28, 2015 11:00 AM

Sep 2012
One of the most disgusting piece of thrash ever graced the anime medium 2/10.

Almost every character was either a cocksucker for onii-sama or was dead. Not only chinese but even Indians are offended over the supposed portrayal of SHIVA.
Oct 26, 2015 2:19 PM

Aug 2009
The borderline incest was cute. Though I strongly suspect they are not ultimately siblings.

When done right in an anime, an OP MC is fine, imo. The context in which the OP MC is placed in is important, I believe.

The context (OP MC in a high school, above and beyond all his peers) that the MC was placed in is what viewers may actually be taking issue with.
Oct 26, 2015 6:08 PM

Sep 2012
Ukaei said:
Though I strongly suspect they are not ultimately siblings.

same here, i mean i suspect that to
Nov 8, 2015 1:41 PM

Nov 2015
Finished watching this the other day, and I hope we get more in the not so distant future. The anime only covered about half of the light novel, so still plenty more to go. While Tatsuya is crazy OP, we do know that there are about 50 more people on Earth just like him if what the major said is correct. Will they clash? I don't know.

I also suspect Tatsuya and Miyuki are not actually blood siblings. I kind of wonder if Tatsuya is engineered and Miyuki is a key for unlocking his full potential, as we saw in the underground meeting room.

These episodes felt more like they were slowly introducing Tatsuya and revealing his abilities, while the second half of the story shows them being put to use in some sort of major conflict. Having not read the LNs myself, I have no idea what that will be, but I can't imagine the world reaction being all that restrained given the huge crater that Tatsuya left in that Chinese port. Also, I wonder if the Yostuba family will make some sort of power play in the future since they seem to be far stronger than the other ruling magician families and Tatsuya and Miyuki's aunt seems like an evil, calculating mastermind of some sort.
Nov 10, 2015 10:47 AM

Feb 2015
is there any news about the sequel?
Nov 10, 2015 12:01 PM

Dec 2013
I enjoyed the first 2 arc, it was a cool popcorn series. OP as fuck MC, uninteresting info dumps but you don't even have to pay attention to them, nice incest and flashy visuals but god, the last arc was fucking garbage. Guns, guns, guns, missile launchers, reviving and guns. Oh and trying to make Tatsuya look 'cool' even more than before, who could've thought it's possible. All that crappy action made me puke. The plot developments were disgustingly generic and this last episode in particular was ridiculous.
I don't hate it though, I got more than I expected (except for the last arc which definitely deserves all the hate this series gets).
AizixNov 10, 2015 2:00 PM
Dec 12, 2015 3:23 AM

May 2015
is it the end? i think it moved too fast and the ending must be 2 or 3 more episode to clear
and wow tatsuya fckin badass magic, and make a new history they said haha lol
Jan 7, 2016 10:25 PM

Jan 2016
For me it was a confusing series (well I was farming in my mmo while watching this so :p) but still not bad. Its a more dialogue heavy series and you need to be concentrated to understand well this show (theres still a lot of action too thought). If you like OP MC (as everyone said) then it's not a bad watch. 6/10 for show, and 7/10 for miyuki ;)
Jan 19, 2016 9:16 PM

Jun 2008
Tatsuya is so unbelievably OP it is crazy...

BUT, at least he's in a world where magic is real, so he does have some excuse.

I think I liked Tatsuya and Miyuki so much that it sometimes makes me forget that this anime is really convoluted at times.

The exposition is not good at all, and most of the time you're just not sure what exactly the whole point of the story is.

If they could work on that, I think it would be a really great series, because the characters are definitely likable and interesting.

Overall, I did enjoy it and despite some of the convolution, I think the characters made up a lot for it, and so did the action.

7/10
Mar 15, 2016 1:35 PM
I Hate My Son

Dec 2011
Ngl I didn't really understand what was going on with this last arc, like with the "relic" and all that shit

But still I really enjoyed this show, Tatsuya is that dude
Mar 19, 2016 9:13 AM

Aug 2014
Well...that was interesting. Not sure whether the last part of this episode was just terribly rushed or the LN was written badly, but it surely felt really lackluster. Regardless a pretty ok-ish series, atleast Tatsuya was actually a decent gary stu despite being ridiculously overpowered to the point "Mahesvara" might just be fitting for him. 5/10.
Jun 7, 2016 1:42 PM
Mar 2015
5/10 It had some good moments but just didn't really pull me in.

Another thing, I find it cute how Miyuki comes up with bullcrap explanation that Tatsuya's OP regrowth spell has a huge drawback. "He feel's the pain of a person he's uses it on by 150x." Is that REALLY a drawback to a guy that doesn't really show any pain, negative emotion, AND keeps his sanity?! Cause he was rebooting all those flying soldiers and he looked FINE.

It's like Ms. Mayumi said "No wonder he's so unbalanced"

Also I know someone's going to flame me for my opinion, but screw it anyways.

PLEASE DON'T MAKE A SECOND SEASON!! I need time to find my bleach.
Vaiketime2025Jun 7, 2016 2:04 PM
Pages (10) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2014

248 by Fortunekeks »»
May 15, 6:20 PM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 7, 2014

248 by otakuweek »»
May 13, 6:42 PM

» Sooo is there incest in this anime ? (may contain spoilers )

Zyro_Plaze - Apr 26

33 by Champiggy »»
May 3, 8:12 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

» Romance Tag?

akihiko132 - Dec 8, 2020

4 by fqdnl »»
Apr 3, 6:27 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.