Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jul 24, 2015 1:43 PM

Feb 2014
Not really a good adaptation. They left out many little scenes that are necessary for fluid storytelling and prolonged some meaningless scenes like the bath one or the one with Itami checking web novels.
Between the adult world and the world of kids,

there, Holyland exists.
Jul 24, 2015 1:51 PM

Apr 2013
i like leilei's curiosity

chuka does not seem to be able to cope well with the loss of her father
Jul 24, 2015 2:07 PM
Oct 2012
Paulo27 said:
I read the first 3 episode in the manga and it kinda sucks compared to the anime with how rushed it feels and all the lack of characterization for just about anyone, and then I see manga fans complain how they didn't do the military characters justice (probably because they're developed later) when they barely showed up in the manga.
In short, ignore fans when they base themselves on a manga adaptation of a light novel and the anime is adapting the novel.

No, I think the readers do have a legitimate compliant - at the same time I agree that the animation made the story proceed smoother at the beginning (and had said so after the first episode).

But the animation has the advantage of knowing where the story was going and pulling things forward in order to explain it at the start. That does not take away from the Manga though. And you stopped too soon, 4 is really where the manga picks up (Rori's introduction). You can read through 8.
Jul 24, 2015 2:17 PM

Nov 2007
Takuan_Soho said:
shanimebib said:
Anyone else noticed @4:45 the term "Tetsu no Ichimotsu", literally which can be translated as an "Excellent or Extremely 'Agile' Animal (made) of Iron" perhaps referring to a military weapon, has been translated as "Iron Cock". WTF with that, CR? Did commie become contagious in official scripts nowadays?

No, it was a joke from the manga. In the manga it was "rod of iron", and when Piya asked what it looked like the waitress made a lewd joke about a certain male body part. Funny scene though, especially when the crowd reacted to the description of the two female JSDF soliders.

The manga is a 18+ series, they are cutting it down to 12+ here. That is why a lot of the manga fans are disappointed. Though the series still works.

Edit: should add that the characters 逸物 which were read "ichimotsu" has another rarer combination 一物 (normally read ichibutsu it can also be read ichimotsu when speaking of a certain body part). So they kept it in there, they just did a pun on the word to cover it up. Did not know that until now.

I see. Thanks for the clarification. It didn't make any sense because there wasn't any indication. Now that you have clarified the actual scenario of the manga it makes sense. But they should have just completely changed it or left it out because it sounded really out of place for some reason. For someone like me who didn't read the manga, it meant zero sense given the context.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jul 24, 2015 2:20 PM

Mar 2014
This is a cock, by the way:
Still weird? Yes, "wtf does this even mean"? No.
Should have just used "bird".
Jul 24, 2015 2:27 PM
Oct 2012
Paulo27 said:
This is a cock, by the way:
Still weird? Yes, "wtf does this even mean"? No.

That is a mighty fine cock you have there. Yesirree, a fine, thick, long one. I particularly like the head, very nice shade of red there.
Jul 24, 2015 3:37 PM

Apr 2010
It's interesting to see these two worlds clash. Not just with the 1500-year difference in military technology, but also with culture, language, entertainment and those humble Japanese traditions. I don't think the gate could have landed in a better country.

Haven't seen an anime like this since Outbreak Company.

Jul 24, 2015 3:46 PM
Jul 2018
Mallony said:
This show has so many plotholes it could empty an ocean.
I'm still interested watching, hopes something will happen soon.

What plot holes?
Jul 24, 2015 4:15 PM

Oct 2011
salmon3669 said:
Mallony said:
This show has so many plotholes it could empty an ocean.
I'm still interested watching, hopes something will happen soon.

What plot holes?

Not plot holes but inconsistencies.

Like the people behind the gate understanding the military people and other times having no idea what they are talking about.
Jul 24, 2015 4:23 PM
Jul 2018
Gov said:
salmon3669 said:

What plot holes?

Like the people behind the gate understanding the military people and other times having no idea what they are talking about.
I mean it's not like the source did this any better, but they did usually say that the other characters were talking in incoherent languages from another person's perspective. Plus A-1 probably didn't want to have to come up with an entire new language. Yeah I can agree to this statement.
Jul 24, 2015 4:51 PM

Nov 2013
I guess I'll read the manga myself and try and figure out if it's better than the anime like everyone says. Right now I really like the anime, although I dislike the split-screening. It looks really low-budget.
Jul 24, 2015 5:00 PM

Mar 2015
The story was flowing pretty well. I like that, although she looks young, Rory sounds mature. And again, little things like soldiers at KP, the local inhabitants being fascinated by the big earth excavators, and their realistic approach to the world. Itami's characterization in the anime is really growing on me faster than it did in the manga. A1 is really doing a great job with this, especially presenting it to an audience who never read either of the previous three incarnations of the story. Its moving along pretty smoothly.

These soldiers are acting like the real thing, A1 has got that pegged. I'm loving that most of all.
The sword that takes life gives life
Jul 24, 2015 5:12 PM

Nov 2014
I really like Chuka and rory
Hi there
Jul 24, 2015 5:30 PM
Oct 2012
Gov said:

The don't "understand", it was shown that the military does have a simple phrase book from the prisoners they took in the first episode. So they can get simple intent across, but not complex ideas. For instance in episode 3 Itami had to say "giant bird" because they didn't have a word for dragon. And while it looked like Itami and the village chief had a conversation, all Itami really understood was "abandon village". Also in 3 when the kids called Rori the "oracle" Itami's tone made it clear he had no idea what they said and merely repeated a syllable.

So I would like to know where the "inconsistencies are".

Now granted the show could have made more of a point on this, but it would be boring as hell to watch it. Watching Itami say "please....name.....say" before having the characters say their names wouldn't have added anything to this show.
Jul 24, 2015 5:50 PM
Feb 2015
Wow we learned a bit about Chuka. I feel like the men's clothing is supposed to be fore her father. The bath scene was cute, Rory is so cute and chuka has a nice figure but they put soap around her areas D;<

Looking forward to the next episode!!
[center] *>.>[Spoiler][/spoiler]<.<*
[center]
Jul 24, 2015 5:58 PM
Sep 2013
now we have 2 country eyeing Japan for the gate, and alot of things going on simultaneously which i think is good for the show.

leilei is such a good learner
Jul 24, 2015 6:17 PM

Nov 2014
Good buildup episode. I like how the heroines are given time to shine at least enough for us to learn more about them. Youji's characterization is also much more endearing. Also, yeah, it's nice to finally see a bath episode that isn't filled to the brim with fanservice.

I wonder how A-1 will handle the drama with Italica.
Jul 24, 2015 6:30 PM

Apr 2012
Great Iron Cock XD

China started eyeing the Gate.
USA and Russia also will not stay silent.

Jul 24, 2015 7:00 PM
Oct 2010
Does anyone else appreciate the writing in the show so far? I'm very glad they aren't taking an isolationist view on the GATE and are exploring some plausible real world implications if such a thing would happen.
Jul 24, 2015 7:27 PM

Sep 2013
Found it slightly amusing that they just let Rory casually walk around the base with a giant halberd.
She's definitely not dangerous...
Jul 24, 2015 7:31 PM
Oct 2012
Nicromatic said:
Found it slightly amusing that they just let Rory casually walk around the base with a giant halberd.

I could be wrong on this, but the refugee camp is not actually within the base. That was why they were bulldozing to build the refugee camp.
Jul 24, 2015 7:33 PM

Mar 2015
skudoops said:
Does anyone else appreciate the writing in the show so far? I'm very glad they aren't taking an isolationist view on the GATE and are exploring some plausible real world implications if such a thing would happen.

Agreed. It would create interesting events for the story.
Jul 24, 2015 7:40 PM
Oct 2012
D- said:
skudoops said:

Agreed. It would create interesting events for the story.

Then continue watching. Not to say this becomes a world class international thriller, but there are nice touches.
Jul 24, 2015 8:30 PM

Jun 2013
Excellent episode! This anime is starting to get really good :D
Jul 24, 2015 8:31 PM

Oct 2010
skudoops said:
Does anyone else appreciate the writing in the show so far?

No. It's been awful.

skudoops said:
I'm very glad they aren't taking an isolationist view on the GATE and are exploring some plausible real world implications if such a thing would happen.

They floated the Japan isolationist idea this very episode. No way would the rest of the world be so comically evil if this happened irl, nor would they allow Japan to full on invade and conquer a foreign land.
Jul 24, 2015 8:40 PM
Oct 2012

SimmianPrime said:
They floated the Japan isolationist idea this very episode. No way would the rest of the world be so comically evil if this happened irl, nor would they allow Japan to full on invade and conquer a foreign land.

Evil? That is not how the rest of the world was shown. Actually, they showed China far better than it deserves.

As for "not allowing". Short of invading Japan, how would they stop Japan?

Mod Edit: Derailing comment removed.
rodacJul 25, 2015 9:28 PM
Jul 24, 2015 8:44 PM

Sep 2014
Good to see Itami keeping up with his Otaku things even though his in another world XD. They gave us some fan service which i'm always open to :3. Can't wait to see them in Italica.

Rory best girl <3
Jul 24, 2015 9:03 PM
Oct 2010
SimmianPrime said:

They weighed up the pros and cons of an isolationist stance, basically they'd turn the world against them if they did that but they'd have another less advanced world rich with resources that only they have access to. This would have real world implications and they are actually quite spot on with some of them. Firstly with access to such materials they could potentially cripple the economies of many nations across the globe by flooding the market with a huge supply of that commodity. The second thing is, if the nations of the world were to get aggressive they could easily supply themselves from beyond the GATE and move their manufacturing over there, the implication of this being that they cannot stop the production of military weapons and vehicles. Basically Japan would become the most powerful nation overnight if they wanted to.

You know what this situation reminds me of? A currently land dispute that Japan has with china over the Senkaku Islands. The reason they are disputing these islands is because they have strategic importance but more importantly they have potential oil and gas as well as a large amount of fish. Ties have pretty much soured to another low between both countries because of it.

Also let me present to you another real world example using economic control, when the US started ramping up production of their own oil it caused a sharp decline in the price of oil affecting nations they had sour ties with (russia) as well as those they didn't. The idea is that they introduced so much oil and combined with wavering demand (they stopped importing as much) it hugely affected the economies of other countries. That same thing can happen in this instance.

Your comment about being comically evil is funny to me because no one has shown that behaviour, in both instances "hostile" parties chose a wait and see approach and gave the viewers some insight into their thought process. I also like how events are being leaked out the press, so it's not far fetched that other nations have heard about what's beyond the GATE.

As for nations not allowing them to conquer a foreign land, you have to realize the new world was the aggressor and japan was merely defending itself. At that moment Japan was given a free pass to retaliate, especially since everyone was interested in what was beyond the GATE but not willing to risk their own soldiers.
GD1551Jul 24, 2015 9:12 PM
Jul 24, 2015 9:29 PM

Aug 2013
Japan was also shrewd when they declared it a special region and part of Japan. Since Japan's constitution doesn't allow them to field a foreign military force, they're only able to deploy because they've considered it "inside Japan". It helps them avoid international intervention.

skudoops said:
The second thing is, if the nations of the world were to get aggressive they could easily supply themselves from beyond the GATE and move their manufacturing over there, the implication of this being that they cannot stop the production of military weapons and vehicles. Basically Japan would become the most powerful nation overnight if they wanted to.

I could see them supplying themselves through the gate, but you also have to consider that the gate can only accommodate a finite amount of cargo at any given time. Judging by it's size, they might be able to run two parallel rail lines (the only way to move goods at the scale needed) through the gate with enough room for some vehicle traffic left, but that's it. Moving their manufacturing there would keep the factories safe, but it would also guarantee that your enemies know your supply chain and logistics route. All they need to do is bomb the rail lines and all of a sudden all your supplies are trapped on the other side.

But anyway. I understand the bath scene wasn't in the source material, but I really liked how the bath made an impression on the girls, and how they used it as a point of contrast between their societies. It's a temporary structure? And it has a heated BATH? Who ARE these people?
Jul 24, 2015 9:30 PM

Oct 2010
skudoops said:
They weighed up the pros and cons of an isolationist stance,

No they didn't. They literally said about one sentence about it. Hardly an in depth discussion of the pros and cons.

skudoops said:
You know what this situation reminds me of? A currently land dispute that Japan has with china over the Senkaku Islands.

Well Japan should just send in their elite JSDF forces then (going by what I've heard is going to happen later in the series they're clearly the best soldiers in the entire world) and once they've secured the islands for Japan they can then move onto to invade and conquer all of China.

skudoops said:
As for nations not allowing them to conquer a foreign land, you have to realize the new world was the aggressor and japan was merely defending itself. At that moment Japan was given a free pass to retaliate, especially since everyone was interested in what was beyond the GATE but not willing to risk their own soldiers.

I absolutely understand Japan initial incursion beyond the gate was to secure it and thus protect themselves from future attacks. But now they're talking about basically a full on invasion and conquering of a foreign land for Japan's profit, hardly defending themselves anymore.

The series is comically written nationalistic propaganda Japanese self-wank.
Jul 24, 2015 9:45 PM

Jul 2014
This anime just keeps getting Better
Shirayuki= Most Perfect Female MC ever
Jul 24, 2015 9:56 PM
Jul 2015
So China has already had a plan to move half of the population through the gate. Lol, China exactly.
Jul 24, 2015 9:57 PM
Aug 2008
SimmianPrime said:
skudoops said:

No they didn't. They literally said about one sentence about it. Hardly an in depth discussion of the pros and cons.

skudoops said:
You know what this situation reminds me of? A currently land dispute that Japan has with china over the Senkaku Islands.

Well Japan should just send in their elite JSDF forces then (going by what I've heard is going to happen later in the series they're clearly the best soldiers in the entire world) and once they've secured the islands for Japan they can then move onto to invade and conquer all of China.

skudoops said:

I absolutely understand Japan initial incursion beyond the gate was to secure it and thus protect themselves from future attacks. But now they're talking about basically a full on invasion and conquering of a foreign land for Japan's profit, hardly defending themselves anymore.

But for Japanese that dislike invasion. This anime is comically written war-driven nationalistic Japanese peace destroyer?
Jul 24, 2015 10:03 PM

Aug 2014
Yeah, I'm dropping this
Jul 24, 2015 10:30 PM

Sep 2013
GLORIOUS NIPPON COCK STEEL
Jul 24, 2015 10:33 PM

Mar 2009
Glad to see the pacing being rather slow. They do need to fill those 24 episodes and I'd rather see them adapt half of the novels than trying to do all of them.

The rating is supposedly R17+ so why did they cut out that dick joke. :(
No innocent Pina blushing, y u do dis to me A1.

I also really like Rory's new design and her VA. Sounds like how an apostle of the god of death should sound like.
Jul 24, 2015 10:39 PM

Jan 2011
ThreePointer said:
When picking best girl in a series is like picking a starter in a new pokemon game

LOL this.

Looks like they're gonna meet in Italica.
I mainly see the animes... so don't blame me for not knowing about the Manga/LN
Jul 24, 2015 10:39 PM

Sep 2013
Vudis said:
The rating is supposedly R17+ so why did they cut out that dick joke. :(
No innocent Pina blushing, y u do dis to me A1..
yeah i never seen A-1 adapt something mature lol
Jul 24, 2015 10:46 PM

Apr 2015
I'm really liking this show. I think Leilei is my favorite so far.
Jul 24, 2015 11:43 PM
Jul 2018
SimmianPrime said:
skudoops said:

skudoops said:

skudoops said:

Except, they can't use the excuse that the Senpaku Islands is literally on Japanese soil. Sure we can claim it is Japanese soil, but there is a huge difference between a foreign army marching through one of your major cities, and a dispute over an entire landmass that could get millions killed over for it. Sure you cna claim "China would nuke Japan". How good would that look to the rest of the world? Even with a Gate to another world open, Nukes were never okay to use, and that would be laughably hilarious

Not denying this is nationalistic though. Cause oh hell yeah, it's nationalistic, read the LN? Way too nationalistic for me. But seriously I think your really overthinking a series you should really just be having fun with. Seriously, no one claimed this was the best writing ever (or a great writing piece for that matter). It's just good. Enjoyable, fun, sit down, read, then do something else.

ANyway this didn't sound like your type of show anyway, so yeah. Just don't start forcing it down everyone's throats that it's bad. Cause there are some shows this seasons I think are way worse than this *cough* Chaos;Dragon *cough*. *cough* 'Monster Musume *cough*.
Jul 25, 2015 12:22 AM

Jun 2015
Rory is awesome!!! Hopefully Tuka will be able to recover well from this.
And I hope Rory stays as an ally throughout.

Jul 25, 2015 12:24 AM

Feb 2012
I'm really liking Rory and Tuka! Lelei is cool also since she's the smart one, but the other 2 really interests me.

Does Tuka have the hots for Itami or is she just very grateful? Hopefully both. Lol :P
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Jul 25, 2015 12:26 AM

Oct 2010
salmon3669 said:
ANyway this didn't sound like your type of show anyway, so yeah. Just don't start forcing it down everyone's throats that it's bad. Cause there are some shows this seasons I think are way worse than this *cough* Chaos;Dragon *cough*. *cough* 'Monster Musume *cough*.

Obviously people can and will like what they like and this is all just my opinion.

Oh I agree that this is far from the worst show this season.
Jul 25, 2015 1:41 AM

Aug 2008
Hell yeah. Politics on Earth were touched upon again. Once the rest of the earth fully realizes what a gold mine Japan has with the sole possession of the Gate, what would happen then? Imagine. If they (Japan) wanted... They could form an alliance with the magic side (in exchange with technology) and take over the two worlds :p

What I don't understand full well is what's the deal with the other world. Like, is it a world on the same universe of Earth? Is it part of an alternate reality (so same universe, but different reality)? Or, is it part of a totally different new universe?
The reason I'm confused there is because of Rori's name. Mercury? That smells of an alternate reality.

ThreePointer said:
When picking best girl in a series is like picking a starter in a new pokemon game

Hmm. I'd pick the Elf, Demigod and Magician, in that order. Why settle for one when you can have all three as best girls? :)
Jul 25, 2015 3:20 AM

Dec 2014
ThreePointer said:

Rory, I choose you.
Jul 25, 2015 4:16 AM

May 2015
Great episode! Lelena is really great so far, liking the focus on her this episode. And now we also have China getting involved. Wonder how it all will turn out.

Jul 25, 2015 4:50 AM
Oct 2014
OK, so we have some sort of a transitive episode to fill in the characters. We did not see big bad Smaug this time except at the beginning where he burns down an entire elf village. I am still rather skeptical about how serious are they going to take with this anime. It is about a war between modern Japan and the fantasy world, but there are hints that this will turn into a harem (which I would want it to avoid) with one cool male MC and four cute fantasy girls (including the princess).

I am interested in military anime after watching Valkyria Chronicle. Based on a video game, the anime rocks. I hope Gate will take this one seriously and give us a good, bloody war with all its glory and all its angst.

The episode is alright. There is nothing to make me either laugh or feel depressed. The execution would have been better if they delve a bit deeper into the culture shock, with people of fantasy world thinking technology is a new kind of magic and they want to know how to master it. Also, they don't seem to be curious about the guns and rockets which the army used to defeat Smaug.
Jul 25, 2015 5:02 AM
Anime Moderator
᠎ Master Öqvily᠎

Aug 2014
It's going to be some trouble in the next coming episodes.

Forum set made by my
secret santa, Nate!
Jul 25, 2015 5:12 AM

Nov 2013
I love this anime, should be rated higher. Don't like elf girl yet though.
Jul 25, 2015 5:13 AM
Aug 2008
bibotot said:
t. Also, they don't seem to be curious about the guns and rockets which the army used to defeat Smaug.

It was cut in the anime. Dunno maybe they will retrofit that curiosity in the Italica episode.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Would I like this?

UberBat - Sep 17

15 by RobertsahDHDA »»
Sep 28, 6:58 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2015

284 by Kipo0007 »»
Jul 16, 6:51 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2015

163 by Kipo0007 »»
Jul 15, 6:44 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2015

188 by Kipo0007 »»
Jul 13, 3:26 PM

Poll: » Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2015

285 by Kipo0007 »»
Jul 12, 4:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.