Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (18) « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 15 » ... Last »
Jul 6, 2014 5:15 PM

Aug 2010
I thought it was ok. One of the things I thought should have been improved would be the pacing. It was way to fast. They skipped a couple of scenes which are important to the story line. If they continue at this pace then I fear for the future. It's such a great manga with such intense scenes. I really hope they slow it down.

Jul 6, 2014 5:39 PM

Apr 2014
That was intense. Great OST
Pretty interesting star. tNo wonder it got a high score on the first episode already.
Jul 6, 2014 5:57 PM

Sep 2013
The art and animation is really good. Its funny how all the people around our mc are actually ghouls (even his friend im assuming).

The one thing that is bothering me: Is this going to revolve around eating humans? that's morbid men.

AsianKungFuJul 6, 2014 6:00 PM
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Jul 6, 2014 6:12 PM

Feb 2013
An interesting start to this season for me. That set the tone real fast.
Part of Refrain Subs for Little Busters!: Refrain
Recently Played/Read VNS (Most Recent to Oldest):
- Da Capo
- Grisaia no Kajitsu
- ef - a fairy tale of the two
- G-senjou no Maou
- Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo & Sharin no Kuni, Yuukyuu no Shounenshoujo (Fan Disk)
- Rewrite
- Hoshizora no Memoria -Wish upon a shooting star-
- Clannad
- Little Busters EX!
Jul 6, 2014 6:59 PM

Mar 2012
And see kids, don't be picky with your food. otherwise Touka will force it down in your throat. ( ^ o ^)b
Jul 6, 2014 8:11 PM

Feb 2012
Really looking forward to this! First episode was GREAT!
Jul 6, 2014 8:13 PM

Jan 2011
well it was unsettling and kinda interesting i just don't really like how they just skimmed over explaining what gouls are (granted i know what they are lol) i mean like why are their experts covering gouls, why are the police so carefree about another goul murder? how are doctors turning people into them? guess they'll explain it at some point

i just hope this isn't just gonna be people eating each other the whole time.

also animation was really great remember seeing the low res PV and just picturing how it would look hd and the ed/op was kinda depressing along with the episode
Jul 6, 2014 8:23 PM

Jan 2012
I really liked that episode. The despair and reluctance to become a ghoul was awesome.
Jul 6, 2014 9:08 PM

Oct 2013
Amarrez said:
Kitoge said:
Wow. I didn't expect all the blood and gore haha

What on earth were you expecting then

Less blood and gore, which was hinted through the phrase "all the blood and gore"
Jul 6, 2014 10:23 PM
Apr 2014
I've been excited since the PV was released, and I was not disappointed! Looking forward to next weeks episode!
Jul 6, 2014 11:22 PM

Apr 2011
Lots of complaints about it being rushed, but as a manga reader, I still think the episode was well done. Gonna have to hope the later episodes don't lose it.
Jul 6, 2014 11:39 PM

Apr 2010
Very interesting episode. I'm looking forward for the next one!
Jul 7, 2014 12:55 AM
Feb 2009
oh man wtf was that pree damn good I must say
Jul 7, 2014 2:48 AM

May 2010
This was indeed scary!!!I like it already!!I hope it continues like this ;)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2014 6:41 AM

Feb 2014
The first episode triggered my love for horror >.< Although the MC hair looks a bit lame.
Jul 7, 2014 7:44 AM
Jul 2014
Luis Suarez:“Human is delicious!!!+_+”
Jul 7, 2014 9:50 AM
Jul 2014
I really enjoyed this first episode. Morita direction was admirable, good plot and fitting main character reactions. Touka feeding Ken while Unravel was playing was pretty intense, I loved that part. I also liked the well-realized gore scenes.
Jul 7, 2014 11:04 AM

Nov 2008
Awesome ep, it felt super intense and actually kinda realistic
Jul 7, 2014 12:36 PM
May 2008
Ghastly, yet...intriguing..

Though I'm having trouble understanding how transferring one's organs to another can alter his sense of taste.
Jul 7, 2014 12:43 PM

Nov 2013
Kriminaal said:
Though I'm having trouble understanding how transferring one's organs to another can alter his sense of taste.
Because it was a Ghoul organ which turned the mc into a half Ghoul.
Jul 7, 2014 2:19 PM

Jun 2014
katsu044 said:
well it was unsettling and kinda interesting i just don't really like how they just skimmed over explaining what gouls are (granted i know what they are lol) i mean like why are their experts covering gouls, why are the police so carefree about another goul murder? how are doctors turning people into them? guess they'll explain it at some point

also animation was really great remember seeing the low res PV and just picturing how it would look hd and the ed/op was kinda depressing along with the episode

I do hope they'll explain it at some point. The biggest question I have is why did they have to put her organ into him. Even if it was life or death, I don't think a doctors just gonna give replace someone's organs with someone else who just happened to die there. But I hope they're just saving that for later. And like you said, I hope this isn't people eating each other, and the plot turns more complex. But for now, I really liked how the entire episode was him fighting his desire to eat, and the "swallow" at the end was really cool.
I didn't come here to play, I came to win. Now lets play.
Jul 7, 2014 2:32 PM

Mar 2012
Ketsubutsu31 said:
katsu044 said:

I do hope they'll explain it at some point. The biggest question I have is why did they have to put her organ into him. Even if it was life or death, I don't think a doctors just gonna give replace someone's organs with someone else who just happened to die there. But I hope they're just saving that for later. And like you said, I hope this isn't people eating each other, and the plot turns more complex. But for now, I really liked how the entire episode was him fighting his desire to eat, and the "swallow" at the end was really cool.

That's the biggest thing that hung me up on this anime.

For starters, she was just crushed by steel guard rails. How the hell does she have any good organs in her body left for transplanting?

Secondly, don't you think they'd transplant organs they have ON-HAND in the hospital rather than someone who died in the same incident?

Thirdly, do they even know if they are the same blood type?

To quote Batman Forever, it just raises too many questions. Also, if I were the kid, I would be interrogating the hospital about the transplant. I don't know about you, but if I received an organ transplant, I'd sure as hell like to know who and where it came from...
Jul 7, 2014 2:37 PM

Jan 2008
well that was quite creepy :D
I am the bone of my sword.Steel is my body, and fire is my blood.
Jul 7, 2014 2:57 PM

Jul 2013
Toucanbird said:
Ketsubutsu31 said:

For starters, she was just crushed by steel guard rails. How the hell does she have any good organs in her body left for transplanting?

Secondly, don't you think they'd transplant organs they have ON-HAND in the hospital rather than someone who died in the same incident?

To quote Batman Forever, it just raises too many questions. Also, if I were the kid, I would be interrogating the hospital about the transplant. I don't know about you, but if I received an organ transplant, I'd sure as hell like to know who and where it came from...

in the manga chapter 2 there was an interrogation by the press to the doctor, but he skimmed over them.

also to answer the other questions about the doctor... well, it is a major spoiler, even the translated part of the manga didnt reach it yet, so just wait, he'll be back later
the answers to these question will be in season 2.

Mod Edit: Removed manga plot details that have not happened yet.
TyrelJul 7, 2014 4:08 PM
current LN reading:
Death March kara hajimaru isekai kyousoukyoku
translated here
for those who are interested in other forums about animes, check randomc.net, reddit.com/r/anime and forum.animesuki.com
Jul 7, 2014 3:26 PM

Oct 2013
Toucanbird said:

1- Crushed doesn't mean all her organs, or any of them, got destroyed and unusable! There exist in real life a ton of cases of people dying from car crushes and their organs being transplanted to other people.

2- Is not like organs are usual available items in hospitals! That is the reason there exist an organ transplant list, that can report all available organs in an entire country. The probability of a person needing a organ that is in the hospital and that is available are slim, because of that normally hospitals try to keep the person alive with the help of machines. There are times where people wait years for an organ transplant.
If they used her organs, means that there was no one available at the time in the hospital! Isn't that obvious? Not everything has to be explicitly said to be known!

3- How do you know that they didn't saw if they are of a compatible blood type? Didn't they removed her organs? Didn't they put her organs into him? Do you think there was no time to see the blood type?
During surgery seeing the blood type is one of the first things that is done.
Assuming they didn't do that means you're assuming that the hospital and the doctor are negligent. That make me ask you. why are you assuming that?

4- Majority of times the donor of an organ is classified! In this case the main character, Kaneki new from the start that the organs were from Rize!
In the anime that is only said when he is preparing to stab himself, but in the manga, everybody knows! It appeared in all the news for some time and it was a really polemic case.
Jul 7, 2014 4:38 PM

Sep 2011
Thread Cleaned
Please do not discuss anything beyond the manga from this episode. Some people tend to have a habit of clicking said spoilers and it's quite irritating. I'm one of those users.
Jul 7, 2014 4:59 PM

Sep 2013
That was a pretty cool episode, this show kind of reminds me of Shiki.
Jul 7, 2014 8:32 PM

Apr 2014
Awesome anime by the way.He's the Anti hero we all been waiting for.Been reading the Manga and I can't wait for that development where he became such a hardcore badass.
Anyway,Intense Episode Really hooked me to be excited next week and while there was some Missing bits here and there compared to the manga.Its not that noticeable and doesn't affect the story in anyway.
Just hope that its a 24 episode :D seems unlikely since the Manga hasn't progressed that much.

Jul 7, 2014 8:55 PM

Nov 2012
Honestly, I didn't expect it to come out like this at all. After reading the manga, I can say the studio did a good job in developing the emotion and fast forwarding the plot with minimal casualties. Though they did skip some scene such as the coffee part but then it should be expected. Hopefully they will add in a scene later just to cover the holes, as technically it is doable later.

A plus will be the OST and the ending music. to be blunt, the ending on its own is not that good. However, with the atmosphere and the scene, it just fit in so perfectly in such that I have to mention it in my post. Anyway, looking forward to it and really hope that it will turn out like Fullmetal alchemist brotherhood, where the adaptation is actually on par or at some scene better than the manga (due the multiplying effect of good OST and background music).
Onisan did anyone see my rabbit? No, but we are having rabbit for dinner (Angelic Smile).
Jul 8, 2014 12:10 AM

Jun 2014
Urek said:
Toucanbird said:

in the manga chapter 2 there was an interrogation by the press to the doctor, but he skimmed over them.

also to answer the other questions about the doctor... well, it is a major spoiler, even the translated part of the manga didnt reach it yet, so just wait, he'll be back later
the answers to these question will be in season 2.

Mod Edit: Removed manga plot details that have not happened yet.

So it is explained. Cool, I was worried that it was just a dumb way to get the plot moving. It still seems really fishy and unrealistic, but I'll have faith in the creators for now.

Anyway, I'm wondering about where the story's going to go now, since the mc is a reluctant monster and cannibal now, along with the fact that he seemed to have some issues before.
I didn't come here to play, I came to win. Now lets play.
Jul 8, 2014 12:45 AM
Mar 2013
Animation was on point! Looked really good.
Jul 8, 2014 12:46 AM

Apr 2012
Going into this first episode I was very apprehensive since I really love the manga but it was so good. Some scenes were skipped, so it felt a bit rushed but it was enjoyable overall. The music, and the atmosphere created was so good, it was so creepy. I'm ready for the next one, hopefully this gets taken in the right direction.
Jul 8, 2014 12:52 AM

Mar 2013
I dont watch lot of horror anime so i though of giving this 1 a try.
it was ok but whille watching, it felt like u can almost know what going to
happen next its need a little twist.
Jul 8, 2014 2:52 AM

Oct 2012
Wasn't expecting anything from this but it was actually pretty good. I had this kinda World of Darkness feel, undead society living hidden amongst common people feeding on them with deep politics running through it and filthy little lowlifes who are nothing.

I will definitely continue to watch this, I would say this is big surprise of summer season.
Jul 8, 2014 5:51 AM

Mar 2013
Wow, great first episode, I'm already quite hooked. I haven't read the manga so don't really have anything to compare it to, but I'm impressed so far. Very interesting stuff. Let's hope they keep it up.
HarlequinaJul 8, 2014 6:01 AM
Jul 8, 2014 6:09 AM
Mar 2014
That was really good. The pacing was quite quick, guess they didn't want to waste anytime cutting to the chase.
Jul 8, 2014 7:24 AM

Aug 2013
WHOAAAAA, THAT WAS GOOD. More more. : 3
☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆

"There is something in this world that no one has ever seen before. It is gentle and sweet. Maybe if it could be seen, everyone would fight over it. That is why the world hid it, so that no one could get their hands on it so easily. However, someday, someone will find it. The person who deserves it the most will definitely find it. "
— Aisaka Taiga and Takasu Ryuuji
Jul 8, 2014 8:00 AM

Jun 2014
wow... this is so cool...

i didn't expect that Hanazawa Kana can do a voice acting for character like Rize...
wow

Kaneki is just... pity...
seeing him eating hamburger steak made me really hungry ;__;

Touka is cool! and her seiyuu is Amamiya Sora (last season's Ishuukan Friends as Kaori)
i didnt expect that too...

i think the manga is very interesting, i will read it later then.

So cool, can't wait for next eps!

5/5
♪ Do re mi fa pupupu, waa~~ ♪
Jul 8, 2014 10:06 AM
Sep 2013
Good animations so far. I really hope that this anime would last at least 20 episodes because there are a lot of things I want to see in it :D
Jul 8, 2014 10:41 AM

Jun 2011
It was a fairly predictable episode. The synopsis and the opening scene gave away a lot. Interesting nevertheless and I'll follow the anime.

I wonder if the hospital in which Kaneki got the organ transplant and/or the doctor who performed the transplantation are/is involved in a shady scheme of turning humans into ghouls for whatever reason (like sustaining the ghoul population?). I can't help but think that something is fishy considering the hasty and desperate decision that was taken regarding transferring Rize's organs into Kaneki without even going through the formalities that are required to be taken care of before the procedure and the voice-over going as far as to say that he'll 'accept full responsibility'. Is such a hasty decision merely an act of 'duty' on the side of the hospital staff to save a dying patient's life or is there something else to it?

Also, though it's too soon to say anything with certainty since we're not fully acquainted with the Tokyo Ghoul verse and is only a conjecture, there must be some way (besides physical appearances) to determine whether or not a being is a human or a ghoul such as through some sort of medical tests, taking into consideration that people already have managed to figure out quite a bit about ghouls' inner workings such as their taste buds finding 'human food' repulsive. It's safe to assume that before the transplantation, tests were conducted on the recipient and the donor (unless the tests were never intended to be conducted in the first place and if it is so, then why?) Hence, IF the doctor(s), in spite of knowing that Rize is a ghoul, decide to transfer her organs into Kaneki, it only strengthens the suspicion that there's something fishy.
Jul 8, 2014 12:40 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Pretty decent first episode. I'm a sucker for a good horror story and I've been looking for something similar to Shiki for a while. I hope this delivers.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 8, 2014 1:42 PM

Feb 2013
It was fairly predictable to be honest. The intro scenes were a huge hint but as soon the doctor said to transplant Rize's organs to the MC's body, I already knew the direction they were heading to.

That aside, the episode was decent, I expect this series to be good, at least for now.

On another note, in some scenes Rize looked almost like an adult Senjougahara with Nadeko's voice (Kana Hana), a really strange impression I'd say.

Hopefully the series won't disappoint.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Jul 8, 2014 2:25 PM

Oct 2013
Pretty good 1st ep. I hope this turns out to be good, it seems promising.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Jul 8, 2014 3:14 PM

Jul 2014
Ok it's alright , but for the love of Narnia if they don't have 24 episodes i'm going to cry ...I saw shit from chapter 64 or whatever in the trailer ... if they add all that shit into 12 episodes this is going to be sad .
And it will probably happen like that .
ArcanixJul 8, 2014 3:21 PM
Jul 8, 2014 6:10 PM

Mar 2009
oooo dis gonna be goood i'm praying for it to have more than 12 episodes
Jul 8, 2014 6:40 PM

Feb 2013
Namiszon said:
oooo dis gonna be goood i'm praying for it to have more than 12 episodes
Only complaint about it so far
Jul 8, 2014 7:07 PM

Nov 2012
This episode hasn't perked my interest. None of the characters introduced so far were attractive though I do admire Kaneki's high-minded strength. Already, he has shown us he's got guts to lunge a fat knife into his body.
Jul 8, 2014 8:03 PM

Nov 2012
real predictable, terrible MC, decent animation/ost.This so far kinda met my expectations. ill give it two more episodes before i drop it
Jul 8, 2014 8:27 PM

Mar 2014
Holy Crap! That was awesome. Definitely looking forward to more!
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Jul 8, 2014 10:11 PM

Nov 2013
*sigh* Can we shut up about the manga and just pretend this is a standalone anime? I loved it having not read the manga cause it seems like everyone who reads a manga ends up being very nitpicky.

Pages (18) « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 15 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2014

846 by Vindicater »»
May 13, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2014

320 by Vindicater »»
May 8, 5:12 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dior - Jul 10, 2014

520 by Vindicater »»
May 4, 8:19 AM

» Tokyo Ghoul ss3 killed all the hope I have for this series

DatajI - Mar 9

4 by zero00guard »»
Mar 12, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2014

349 by AkiFosu »»
Mar 8, 11:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.