Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 4, 2008 1:59 PM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

so the first episode of antique bakery is out now!
just watched it and found it pretty amusing.
especially Tachibana's WTF-Face xD
Really like the opening,too, neatly made.

But somehow I prefer the art-style of the manga as I like Yoshinaga-sensei's style a lot.

what do you think?
Jul 4, 2008 5:34 PM

Jul 2007
Am I the only one that realized that it was Lockon Stratos hitting on Ali Al-Shaachez? And then there's al Setsuna sitting in the wings to make a gay love triangle?

There's a couple things I had a problem with. First, the animation is really bad and that's evident from the very first scene. The walking motion of the characters makes them seem like they're ion a treadmill. Their feet are always gliding along the gorund. Along with that they use a layer pan too much. That's when there's a still frame floated across screen to give the illusion of movment. It's usually towards or away from the center with part of the frame offscreen to make it more naturl. It just makes everything look even more cheap.

There was too much gay and not enough bakery, and that's really a patisserie not a bakery, in Gay Bakery.

Sam is my sweet peach
Jul 4, 2008 7:11 PM

Jul 2006
..... I did not know this was shounen ai. I glimpsed at the genre and saw the "shounen" part and not the ai connected to it, and i only read the first sentence of the synposis XD.
I guessed it was about delicious cake and whatnot. Instead, I get .... umm..... this.....

and I was kind of disturbed. THE POWAH TO TURN ANY STRAIGHT MAN GAY!!!

Jul 4, 2008 7:58 PM

Feb 2008
i like it! saw the live action many years ago and really happy to see it animated now! agree that there are bad animation scenes of the characters but that doesn't bother me much.

Jul 4, 2008 10:30 PM

Jul 2007
Another anime you can't watch without food around..... I want cake so bad now >_>

but anyway, it was ok... I'm not overly impressed but at least I'm glad there seem to be no whiny ukes like in Junjou Romantica...
Jul 4, 2008 10:44 PM

May 2008
Extremely gay. Especially the op.
Jul 4, 2008 11:36 PM

Jul 2007
TheWestExit said:
Am I the only one that realized that it was Lockon Stratos hitting on Ali Al-Shaachez? And then there's al Setsuna sitting in the wings to make a gay love triangle?.

I did notice the VAs which is one of the reasons why I had to watch this series XD

Anyway I thought the first episode was hilarious, lol @ the "Gay Demonic Charm" xD
Jul 4, 2008 11:36 PM

Nov 2006
oh my goodness that was gay. and weird. uhh i didn't like the animation style AT ALL. but it's different at least so i'll finish it.

ali x lockon 4 eva!!!~!! needs a tieria to come fuck things up.
Jul 5, 2008 1:07 AM

May 2008
Meh, it was alright. The animation was terrible, but I'm willing to give it a chance. At the moment however I doubt it will last long.
Jul 5, 2008 3:09 AM

Apr 2008
I don't like the animation, and the characters are pretty annoying...
Anyway after watched the episode i want a cake >_>

Jul 5, 2008 9:23 AM
Jun 2007
lol, I thought it was pretty awesome. The story's intriguing. I wonder what I'd do if some gay guy told me he loves me.. -_-
Jul 5, 2008 10:30 AM

Mar 2008
Well, I watched without knowing what it is.

I found out pretty fast, but i didn't really mind.

The Opening was refreshing unique. The chibi faces were great and it was funny from time to time.

I guess it was not bad. Don't know if I will drop it or not.

The one thing I liked, though, was that the characters were older than your average anime characters in comedy type animes.
Jul 5, 2008 12:56 PM

Apr 2008
I enjoyed it, it was amusing, and as someone said earlier I love Tachibana's wtf face XD I really don't like the opening and ending songs though lol. The animation is odd, but at the same time I really enjoyed the soft coloring. But they don't fit in so well with their surroundings, which are quite beautifully done. I'm definitely going to keep watching this though because I've been waiting for it.

Jul 5, 2008 4:34 PM

Mar 2008
I may just keep watching for the lulz, but the animation is really going to bug me. >.<;; I'm wondering if I should watch the drama instead, which I only just found out about.
Jul 5, 2008 6:34 PM

Oct 2007
I was rather impressed. For some reason, I didn't expect much from this anime, but I like it better than I thought I would. I don't really like how the actual characters look (Yoshinaga-sensei's art seems to be way better), but the chibis remind me of Shinchan and just because of that I think I can live with it XD (And I have to agree with PristinePanda about the soft coloring!)

The pacing was a little weird...but the characters seem interesting and the seiyuu cast is pretty good<333 (Yayyy, Mamo-chan and MikiShin!!!) The 3D backgrounds look odd with the 2D characters, but I'm thinking I like it. It looks different. What impressed me first was actually the opening. Very interesting style, imo, and I think it'll fit well with the overall mood of the anime. And both the OP and ED songs appealed to me; I want to download them already♥

I'm pretty sure I'll be watching this anime to the end :]
Jul 5, 2008 8:12 PM

Mar 2007
I really liked episode 1 :)

Yeah, the animation style is odd and obviously not big-budget, and the airbrushed coloring on the hair is odd, but I still liked the art style anyway, and the story is cute. Yay Miki Shinichirou! He was very good in this, I loved when he exclaims it's 'dangerous! .. because you're my type...' The SD faces are so funny :)

I like Chemistry, so their op/ed songs are nice, if a bit too auto-tune synthesized. Still, nice songs.

I also like how Tachibana does the 'this show is sponsored by...' message XD It blends right in, like, I can imagine him moodily reflecting on the sponsors...

I look forward to seeing more of this :)

The live action drama is ok, but they made Ohno straight ;_; it's not the same without the gayness :)
Jul 5, 2008 8:36 PM

Apr 2008
Wow, I really enjoyed this, to my surprise!
I admit the art isn't the best, but I find the 2D characters and 3D backgrounds interesting.
It is very amazingly gay.
:O
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 6, 2008 4:26 AM

Feb 2008
I liked it. Animation is sucky, but OP is very unique, and there is plenty of shounen-ai angst and cakes, and that means I'm keeping this on my watch list.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 6, 2008 8:32 AM

Jun 2008
I'm a bit disappointed with the animation. The background looks weird. But I'm willing to give it a try though since I do like the story itself. Am looking forward to the 'rain scene'. lol!!
Jul 6, 2008 7:14 PM

Apr 2008
Holy shit yes. It's gay but not too gay. Perfect. Seiyuus were well chosen for their roles, the colouring is wonderful though animation was pretty much crap. Chibi faces were pretty good actually. Simply loved the ED art. I totally gobbled up both themes, BGM sucked. I am sucker for synthesizers. :3

This episode was all gay except that former boxer part. Hopefully it doesn't get less gay as the two other leads get more screen time.

Very amusing. 5/5

P.S. Ass raped at 7 years old>Demonic charm.
wtfyourface said:
MistaCloudStrife said:
From 100-1000, how much do you love LWL?
OVER 9000!!!
Jul 6, 2008 10:43 PM

Nov 2007
windy said:
oh my goodness that was gay. and weird. uhh i didn't like the animation style AT ALL. but it's different at least so i'll finish it.

Yeah this. Did think the VAs did a good job though. (That WAS Fujiwara Keiji, excellent.)
Jul 6, 2008 11:53 PM

Apr 2008
I really like the manga but the first episode didn't do it much justice.

OMG the horrible CG backgrounds killed me, if I didn't know how good the manga was I would have dropped it after 10 minutes.

Also, Antique Bakery isn't blatantly Boy's Love, it's more like it has gay undertones (much like Hikaru and Kaoru from Ouran).
Jul 7, 2008 2:49 AM

Jun 2008
It was very gay.. HAHA, its a Yaoi.

Hmm, the first episode was interesting; a lot of backstory and play without enough anything else.

The animation style was interesting; i didn't really mind it that much, infact the combonation of a more traditional style with cg fascinated me.

And the chibi faces, lol, i loved them.

I don't think I'll be dropping this one anytime soon.
Jul 7, 2008 9:52 AM

Jun 2007
One big meh, drop.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Jul 7, 2008 12:50 PM

Apr 2008
Navarr said:
It was very gay.. HAHA, its a Yaoi.

Hmm, the first episode was interesting; a lot of backstory and play without enough anything else.

The animation style was interesting; i didn't really mind it that much, infact the combonation of a more traditional style with cg fascinated me.

And the chibi faces, lol, i loved them.

I don't think I'll be dropping this one anytime soon.

THIS IS NOT YAOI.
THIS IS A SAUSAGE FEST.
NOT A DICK FEST.
KNOW THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN YOUR DICKS AND SAUSAGES.
wtfyourface said:
MistaCloudStrife said:
From 100-1000, how much do you love LWL?
OVER 9000!!!
Jul 7, 2008 6:20 PM

Dec 2007
ramen shop 8D
XDDD srlsy! that was too funny XD

i have to continue watch this! i love the intro and the ending song, the style was great! cant wait till next ep :-3
and btw, the two main characters are too perfect for each other! >: D

hah! at first when i watched the ep without sub and didn't understand anything, i thought that Tachibana had a traumatic childhood with cake XD
leik: oh noes! not cake! that's just horrible! give a kid cake?!? wtf have happend to the world D:?
i have to stop watching ep without sub...i make stupid things up <.<

You're the monkey I got on my back, That tells me to shine
Jul 8, 2008 10:24 AM

Apr 2008
It's strange that the character animation is almost like "moving manga" and yet... the backgrounds are CGI?

This show is absurdly gay. I hope people don't rate it down because they watched it and had no idea how gay it was.

Frankly, I like the character designs in this much more than in Junjou Romantica (which was actually so weird it was disturbing) so I will definitely keep watching this. Simply because magic gayness must be observed for future study.

Also, needs moar cake and less detached retina.
Jul 8, 2008 1:08 PM

Apr 2008
This is my first trip back into the world of shonen-ai since I gave up Descendants of Darkness 2 years ago, so I'm still familiar with how these kinds of anime work. Heck, I even have some RL friends who like yaoi. I thought this was a good way to start the series. Sure it was gay, but it didn't have enough gay to turn me off. The WTF expressions are priceless and I hope to see more of them later on. I'd also like to see more sweets. This is Antique BAKERY, right? I also really like the soundtrack and the voice acting is good as well. I really like Miki Shinichiro as Yusuke Ono. He was able to sound gay without making it too obvious. I was expecting more from the animation, but at least it's not Vampire Knight. The OP and ED sequences were unique and entertaining, though. Overall, I'll still watch this series to see what direction the story takes. 4/5
Jul 8, 2008 9:45 PM

Jul 2007
You know, most of you people can avoid watching something you don't like by reading what it's about BEFORE watching? Shouldn't be that hard.

Anyway, watched it, loved it, want to see the next episode. I liked the funny and the serious sides of it.
Jul 9, 2008 10:03 AM

May 2008
I think I can handle one episode of Antique Bakery a week.

Art wasn't really good all the time, but there were some interesting parts. Like the shot from the red car to the antique shop.

A little too gay for my taste, but willing to give it a try. One episode a week won't kill me.

"Krijg toch allemaal de klere. Val van mijn part allemaal dood."
Jul 9, 2008 9:29 PM

Jun 2008
to be honest, rather boring for now. i hope some kind of plot line emerges soon and it's not going to be just about gay men being gay ^^; i have nothing against it and i love shonen-ai, but it doesn't seem to have anything -else-. we'll see how it goes in next episode.
Jul 10, 2008 2:50 PM
Dec 2007
Huh, oh? I can't watch that, no way !

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jul 10, 2008 4:20 PM

May 2007
It was interesting. Too much gay and not enough bakery, like TheWestExit said. I'll give it a few more episodes to see where it goes because I love shoujo and slice of life series and I like the animation so far.
Jul 12, 2008 1:29 AM

Oct 2007
it was~ hilarious, can't say anything else xD
like, i totally loled at part with boxer-boy and his 'no, coach, i don't want to quit boxing! i don't! ... aaah, this cake is amazing~~ but i don't want to quit, nooo!' xD
and gay demonic charm, well xD
the animation kind of sucks. the background is all 3D but charas look like they're drawn with crayons or something. no good.
on the other hand, i love seiyuus. and the whole thing is really funny. so i'll probably still watch it. *needs her weekly dose of gay-anime*
Jul 14, 2008 12:46 PM

Mar 2007
lets all go to shinjuku-ni choume together!

>_<

Bishounen isnt my kind of genre at all but it has food :( im a sucker for food.

And the animation reminds me of bartender.
RanivusJul 14, 2008 12:50 PM

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
Jul 18, 2008 9:09 AM

Jun 2008
I didn't like the art that much... and I've never read the manga ^^"
But I'm looking forward to a good story... that black cake thing was quite... interesting o___o

Sig WILL change soon~
Jul 25, 2008 5:35 PM

Mar 2008
What the hell am I watching...
Aug 3, 2008 6:59 AM

Apr 2007
A well-balanced shounen ai series? What, such thing exists?!

Really liked it, even though the animation is atrocious. "Yu-chan" is so very amusing, and those little chibis? Oh my God, priceless.

Liked this way more than I thought I would! I just wish they wouldn't ruin it with the ridiculous amount of CGI. What the hell, this type of series didn't need to have so much.

Why do people watch something without really checking what it is, is something I really wonder. You're kind of asking for it, and I don't feel bad for the amount of gay you had to watch.
Sep 11, 2008 3:40 PM

May 2008
i was all in serious mode while watching this, cause i figured itd be a serious anime. i was quite happy to fnd that it had comedy mixed in too. :)

Sep 13, 2008 11:44 AM
Sep 2008
Meh. Speaking as someone who's read most of the manga, the anime adaptation falls far short. It looks like the writers are trying to cater to the yaoi fangirls rather than focusing on the relationships between the characters. And Tachibana simply isn't as cool. :P

I'll watch a couple more episodes to see how it plays out, but I'll probably drop this one soon.
spiegalrSep 26, 2008 10:54 AM
Mar 27, 2009 4:44 PM

Jun 2008
Mix between 2D and 3D is rather interesting.

Ono is kinda good looking with his uniform.

Will continue the story.
Oct 8, 2010 4:49 PM

Dec 2008
OMG...I so want some cake now! LOL!!
I love the 3D elements included with the animation.
Jun 2, 2012 8:22 PM

May 2012
4 out of 5. I love bakeries and the concept sounds interesting. And I'm all, "Gay guys? In a bakery?! MUST WAAATCH." True, I'm not crazy about the art style and the animation is pretty buggy, but I'll keep watching in spite of that. Besides, the music for the intro and credits makes me smile. :)
Jun 29, 2012 11:40 AM

Jul 2011
LOLOLOL. That made me giggle throughout the whole thing - hilariously awkward! Especially since I recognize Tachibana has Hughe's voice. XD

Opening is great, except the autotune hurts my ears. A shame since I love the lyrics and beat.

I'm going to seriously hate the 3D animation though, I just know it.

Going to read the manga afterwards.
MirorinJun 29, 2012 11:43 AM
Sep 12, 2013 11:56 PM

May 2013
I kinda like the art style...

I hope it doesn't get too gay...
Oct 17, 2013 1:17 AM
Aug 2011
Kind of enjoyed it, though the visuals are little more washed out than I expected.

I probably shouldn't be watching this at night and before going to sleep because then i'll want to eat pastries. D;
Jun 6, 2014 5:27 AM

May 2012
Well I didn't see that this was shounen-ai, I'm not a fan of the genre at all and I thought this would be something like Ristorante Paradiso but well I sure was wrong about that...

Well no stopping now I'll have to speed watch this.
Oct 25, 2014 11:06 AM

Jul 2013
Well, that was quite good.

Not sure about the animation, it's odd especially with the 2D and 3D ... hmmm. Not sure if I like it or not. It's different I guess.

I also feel like I want cake now lol.
May 15, 2016 3:48 PM

Jan 2010
Well, that was one of the more creative openings I've seen in recent times. I also enjoy how forward and honest this show is, rather than dancing around the subject of shounen ai. I'm liking it so far.
Nov 10, 2018 8:09 PM
Oct 2018
Pretty funny concept, quite like the characters and I wonder where it goes, so successful first episode.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Antique Bakery Episode 12 Discussion

Cyrius - Sep 25, 2008

41 by Ten »»
Apr 23, 11:02 AM

Poll: » Antique Bakery Episode 3 Discussion

Pokedude97 - Jul 18, 2008

34 by misscherie »»
Nov 6, 2023 10:19 AM

Poll: » Antique Bakery Episode 6 Discussion

Axersia - Aug 9, 2008

29 by serina7 »»
May 29, 2022 10:16 AM

» List of desserts shown on each episode ending of Antique Bakery

IridescentJaune - Nov 27, 2021

0 by IridescentJaune »»
Nov 27, 2021 7:00 AM

Poll: » Antique Bakery Episode 8 Discussion

juu - Aug 25, 2008

25 by AozoraAi »»
Oct 13, 2021 8:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.