Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Dec 27, 2013 12:28 PM

Jun 2012
The death flags raised in the scenes prior to the Ofunehiki alarmed me. Much so with Manaka's delay of her (most likely) confession to Hikari. Same with Kaname when he told Chisaki that he'd love her even after the hibernation. It was raised higher than the flag Hikari was waving around, haha.

But no, jokes aside, this episode blew me away. I thought this episode would just be them doing the Ofunehiki without any incidents, boom, done. But nooo, with the shit they've already pulled in the past few episodes, they couldn't resist pulling another big "the rug swept us all off our feet" episode. Holy hell, I was so upset through the latter half of the episode that my tears were preventing me from seeing the screen. ; u ;

The character development in this episode was great, I used to dislike Manaka with a passion purely because she was so immature and she also shed waaay too many tears. She was always running away from her problems rather than facing them. But with this episode, she instead faced the conflict head on and sacrificed herself -insert uncontrollable sobbing here-. AND KANAME, IS KANAME DEAD? NO NO NO NO, ABORT I CANNOT ACCEPT. That forced smile though, it's like he resigned and just gave up.. ugh, my heart.

By the way, I don't really watch this show for the ships. I could care less about who gets with who. Anyway, reading the other replies, I've (obviously) noticed the tremendous hate for Chisaki because "she switches from Hikari to Tsumugu in a flash, disregarding Kaname bla bla bla." Considering he's the only one who's not a sea dweller among the five close niche of friends, I think it was just pure fear for the guy's safety that she jumped in to save him. And it wasn't like she ignored Kaname, after all, Tsumugu could be very well already be dead and just the pure chaos of the situation just threw her off equilibrium. Plus the others in the ocean were sea dwellers and it's not like they're gonna drown. Of course she's not gonna jump in to save Akari, that's the job of both Hikari and Manaka. Obviously, the writers are hinting a big Chisaki x Tsumugu ship in this episode, but we don't necessarily see her profess her sudden love, do we? And I personally think their chemistry together and developing awareness of each other have been building up slowly in previous episodes. I don't think it's really that shocking if they do eventually get together? Idk, maybe it's just me. But please, lay off the character hate and the verbal abuse, it's really not necessary.

BUT KANAME AND MANAKA THOUGH. I AM SO UPSET, MY POOR BBIES. ; u ;
HIKARI TOO OMG. I hope they're all okay.

UROKO WE NEED ANSWERS MAN. And that barrier over the sea village, that might actually prevent Chisaki from returning at all, until it opens back up of course which won't be any time soon.

But from one of the previous episodes, where Hikari narrates the past from what we can assume is a future stand-point, I have hope that Kaname is still alive. Hopefully. I don't see Manaka surviving that body slam in the bottom of the ocean bed though. Plus the ED heavily hints her potential death, idk idk.

Great job Nagi, you've made me cry like a big baby yet again.
milkprinceDec 27, 2013 12:33 PM
Dec 27, 2013 12:46 PM

Jul 2012
WTF just happened?!
Dec 27, 2013 2:10 PM

Aug 2012
So we can assume Kaname, Hikari, and Manaka are all asleep because of the "frozen field". I'm sure Kaname was propelled by the pier into the field as it froze over, and him and Manaka won't die because they were frozen just in time. Not sure what that'll mean when they wake up, maybe their Ena will restore their bodies lol.

I do wonder how Hikari ended up down their, since we last saw him being swept upwards.

Like others have said, I think it's too soon to say that Chisaki is suddenly in love with Tsumugu. I think the important thing was that the possibility was opened up, and after all the hints and observations by Kaname, his fear of that possibility came to fruition. The build up with all that was more for that very moment, for Kaname's despair. I think that scene was what made the episode so good, it was built up to very well, and executed with tragic beauty.

If Chisaki goes straight to Tsumugu now, then maybe we can antagonize her character. But I'm pretty sure she's going to realize how much she hurt Kaname in that moment, and be more concerned about whether he died or not.
Dec 27, 2013 2:22 PM

Dec 2011
I was expecting the Ofunehiki to be a really magical tradition... but it all became a disaster in the end. Wonder what are they gonna do with Manaka now.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 27, 2013 2:35 PM

Mar 2012
Whoa, when did this series turn into Shinsekai Yori? :-/

Okay, WAY too soon to make that comparison. Especially since we can't be certain what happened with Manaka and Kaname yet. Still, this series would be more interesting if it got a lot more dark.
Dec 27, 2013 3:00 PM

Jul 2013
Fuuuuck! I really hope that is doesn't end up Chisaki x Tsumugu! That's the only pairing people have seriously discussed that I don't like, but it's highly possible and I don't like it! I'd much rather Chisaki x Hikari or Chisaki x Kaname, anything but Chisaki x Tsumugu. If Tsumugu has to be paired with either of the girls, I'd rather it be Manaka, even though I also like Manaka x Hikari.

Dammit, I hate and love this anime.
Dec 27, 2013 4:24 PM

Oct 2011
I had a hunch Umigami would actually show up, and take Akari away, and somehow Manaka would replace her.
BUT I didn't expect Kaname to... . Poor guy, he was in so much pain.

I also didn't expect that HARD SLAM right into the ocean floor. Manaka would only live if somehow she got transported to the Umigami's dimemsion.

The questions now are where's Kaname? is he actually...?
and will Hikari somehow rescue Manaka?
AkagatariDec 27, 2013 4:27 PM
Signature
Dec 27, 2013 4:41 PM

Feb 2012
Lrdwhyt said:

Goodness, what a stupid opinion. Exactly what did Chisaki do to make herself a "bitch"? Kaname confessed to her and that's nice, but she has no obligation to return his feelings. Saving Tsumugu doesn't make her a "slut". Are you fucking serious? For one, Tsumugu, unlike everyone else who fell in, can't breathe underwater. Even if the sea god is wreaking havoc, he would have been the first to die, had he not been saved. Somehow a bunch of people are interpreting this as Chisaki having fallen in love with Tsumugu or something.

Even if that were the case, I don't see how that's a problem. People fall in love all the time. Manaka liked Tsumugu at the beginning, but now I suspect she likes Hikari. I don't see anyone jumping to call Manaka a slut. And look at all the male leads in harem anime. They'll often like more than one girl and change their minds several times. Yet apparently it's not slutty or even frowned upon, because only girls can be sluts...right? Yeah, in the beginning Chisaki said she liked Hikari and confessed to him. But she has no obligation, moral or otherwise, to like Hikari for the rest of her life. What a silly idea.

I agree so very much!!!this is what I think too. finally someone is logical here ...
Dec 27, 2013 4:53 PM

Oct 2013
I don't recall chisaki ever mentioning that she ever liked kaname or anything that blatantly tells us she likes him. Rather, she avoids him because she doesn't want to tell him she can't reciprocate his feelings. That sit down she had with hikari also shows us that she has since moved on from this point considering the story to some degree shows her having feelings for tsumugu.

Now kaname I don't like all that much. It appears to me that he's more devious than most pin him to be. Not only did he force everyone to come clean with their feelings, but it seems almost as if he only did it to make sure that he knew that hikari would deny chisaki's confession.

Overall this show has really surprised me at every turn with how they handle each episode. Can't wait for the next one.
"A cruel world is not without it's beauty, and many times a select few find it by mistake. Only then do those select few see the world for what it is... A disastrous masterpiece." ~ 7thVoid

"Hates a river that only flows down." ~ 7thVoid
Dec 27, 2013 4:55 PM
Dec 2013
The way I see the whole part with Chisaki saving Tsumugu isn't so much that she has feelings for him, but its more like she just wanted to save him because he cant breathe under water like the others that fell in and was just concerned about the life of another individual, that's just what i think.
Dec 27, 2013 5:25 PM

Jul 2010
Chisaki is a slut.

Manaka deserved it.

Poor Hikari, you're really unlucky boy.

Tsumugu gets pussy at the first act of kindness he shows towards a girl.
(Inb4 I'm a MC from an ecchi-show)

Uroko and Hikari best characters. But need more deaths and a time-skip.

fraydawgishere said:
The way I see the whole part with Chisaki saving Tsumugu isn't so much that she has feelings for him, but its more like she just wanted to save him because he cant breathe under water like the others that fell in and was just concerned about the life of another individual, that's just what i think.

It's not. They showed to us already MANY hints of a possible relationship between the two of them. So unless they are trying to mess with us (which might be the case), I don't think it's "merely friendship".
Dec 27, 2013 5:48 PM

Jan 2013
sigh i knew manaka would sacrifice herself D:
Dec 27, 2013 6:10 PM

Aug 2013
Yay! Hii-kun's confession and Manaka... Then, Oh shit manaka was drawn inside that whirlpool and smashed to the ocean floor.

Well, at least I hope manaka's still alive cos she's the heroine, or else everything is fucked up. Chii-chan would be victorious.

Ahhhh What the hell happened in this episode!!!
Dec 27, 2013 6:36 PM
Dec 2013
I hate how Chisaki acts in this episode :( I don't care whether she gives up on Hikari or not, but It's weird when I saw her embraced Tsumugu like that after she confessed to Hikari yesterday! Wow, she's recovered from heartbroken so fast! Poor Kaname, I hope he'll be OK.

I shipped Hikari x Manaka since the first episode. Damn Manaka, What you have done??!!!
Somehow I feel relief, because at the end of episode, it implies that Hikari is the one she loves.
Dec 27, 2013 6:58 PM

Oct 2013
Kuroneko1107 said:
I shipped Hikari x Manaka since the first episode. Damn Manaka, What you have done??!!! Somehow I feel relief, because at the end of episode, it implies that Hikari is the one she loves.

Well isn't this great. I ship chisaki and tsumugu. Which means even though we ship different people, we still have common ground. I say death to the rest of the ships so we may watch them sink.

No hard feelings other shippers :P
"A cruel world is not without it's beauty, and many times a select few find it by mistake. Only then do those select few see the world for what it is... A disastrous masterpiece." ~ 7thVoid

Dec 27, 2013 7:01 PM

Sep 2009
Hikari's official confession to Manaka... Really shows how far he's come since the beginning of the Anime. Hikari is definitely my favorite male character in the Anime.

Still shipping Hikari x Manaka, which seems like it's going toward. I still want Chisaki x Kaname, mainly because I like Kaname more than Tsumugu, haha.
Dec 27, 2013 8:04 PM

Aug 2013
I see so many people here upset some characters are potentially killed.
What can I say? I guess the Sea God sinks "ships". :P
Dec 27, 2013 8:53 PM

Jul 2012
Omg the 2/5 and 1/5 bars are invisible! LOL
Dec 27, 2013 9:44 PM

Aug 2013
Well that was intense. I hope everyone's okay.
wow gay
Dec 27, 2013 9:48 PM

Aug 2013
StevenHu said:

What can I say? I guess the Sea God sinks "ships". :P

Ba Dum Tshhh~! ahaha well said sir. Well said.

I only noticed Miuna's voice got deeper and more mature when I re-watched the last 5 minutes. Time skip? Is there a possibility of Hikari x Miuna?

Ooh and if Kaname's alive and hibernating somewhere, then is Kaname x Sayu possible as well? :D
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Dec 27, 2013 11:42 PM
Jan 2012
20 bucks says that manaka was legit killed and becomes a corporeal sprit/ghost like menma did ano hana. (they even have the same haircut, too)

I doubt hikari's dead, nor kaname. that whole entire sequence with chisaki and tsumugu did not make any sense. out of the 3 main guys, chisaki had the least level of attachment with tsumugu. Why did she react so strongly for him?
Dec 27, 2013 11:53 PM

Oct 2013
ftghb said:
that whole entire sequence with chisaki and tsumugu did not make any sense. out of the 3 main guys, chisaki had the least level of attachment with tsumugu. Why did she react so strongly for him?
Hmm... Even though I'd like to believe it was her love for him, more than likely she just overreacted because he can't breathe under water.

Dec 28, 2013 12:21 AM

Nov 2013
Well that escalated very quickly....Manaka better not died T_T

Manaka x Hikari
Dec 28, 2013 2:05 AM
Aug 2008
I've only noticed a few people here bring up the significance of the conversation Manaka and Tsumugu had at the beginning, which is something I feel needs to be discussed more.

The obvious implication that Tsumugu being the sun, is that he's too far away and he's something thats so completely foreign to her (being a sea dweller) that she can never hope to catch up to him, let alone understand him and live in the same world as he does, which she seems to think means that she can never really love him. However I think she is selling herself short, as she most certainly has the willpower hidden in her somewhere to catch up to him. I'm not quite ready to give up on this ship yet. Perhaps, if Kaname is still alive, what nearly happened to him will be the catalyst the awakens Chisaki's feelings for him. And it seems almost inevitable that Manaka may have confessed to Hikari at the end of the ceremony, but this series has taken so many twists and turns its hard to tell where anything is going.

And lets not forget at the beginning of the series when Hikari said that the meeting between Tsumugu and Manaka was "very special". But again this could just mean that meeting Tsumugu set the rest of the story in motion, from him accepting the land dwellers as equals, as well as his sister's marriage and perhaps even this calamity that is set to befall the surface, none of which may have happened if they hadn't met. Either way, I'm going to stay on the ManakaxTsumugu ship till the end, even if I end up going down with it like Captain Edward Smith with the Titanic.

Someone in another post was wondering if there was any significance behind the characters names, and I found the meaning beind Tsumugu's and Manaka's names quite fascinating, and you can read my opinion here if it interests you, especially if you are a ManakaxTsumugu shipper:

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=711955&show=0#post5
Dec 28, 2013 2:49 AM

Nov 2012
damn shit just getting real..
kaname.. is kaname dead?
and chisaki.. :!
manaka..
so much feeling..
Dec 28, 2013 3:39 AM
Jun 2008
this show is so garbage

I am embarrassed to be watching this crap.
Dont be a chitogetard!!!!
Dec 28, 2013 3:53 AM
Dec 2013
this episode totally blew my mind away...

1. I like that Hikari confessed to Manaka "again" but in more proper way
2. About Tsumugu is like sun to Manaka, I think she meant that she realized she's just admire him, like the way she admired sun. The feel of unreachable yet can be seen and beautiful
3. About Kaname remind Chisaki about his confession and that his feeling will never change even after hibernation was very romantic of him, gotta love him for that. But I can't blame Chisaki for not answering yet, coz she just got rejected by Hikari.
4. The damn ofunehiki just got really messed up. And my conclusions are:
* Akari won't die (they found her afterall) will live happily with the guy and Miuna
* Hikari too, won't die. Either he's on land or he's hibernating on sea
* Manaka won't die too I think. She's main character afterall. And she definetely will confess to Hikari.
* Kaname will be save. I hope he's somewhere found and Chisaki confess to him (or not xp)
* Clearly Chisaki had this little interaction with Tsumugu since ep 5 I think. When she rescued him, that's when I'm sure about him. Not bcoz she jumped right away, more bcoz of her face when Tsumugu's saved on boat. And I ship them xD But I need to know Tsumugu's feeling, if it isn't told, then Chisaki better be with Kaname instead.

Ppl here talking about timeskip and how Chisaki will be with Tsumugu getting older and others at the sea and HikarixManaka and KanamexSayu..
But my opinion is, at this point probably again PROBABLY there is or isn't timeskip, everyone's save and happy.

If one of the 3 missing char is dead, I'll be very pissed off.
As much as I love TsumuguxChisaki, Kaname is too good to be dead.
I still can accept if he will somehow end up with grown up Sayu tho.

I do hear Miuna's changed voice, but maybe only 2/3 years? Not dramalike drastic timeskip.
So, relax guys, ur ships are still ready to sail (except HikarixChisaki, totally sinked) Lol
Dec 28, 2013 3:59 AM

Aug 2008
Gods, bunch of faggots.

I was wondering if a crazy scenario would enfold. It was hinted a bit, so it wasn't totally shocking, but it still caught me by surprise...
Dec 28, 2013 7:14 AM

Sep 2008
I knew this show will get intense but.. wow I love it <3
First I was crying because everything was so beautiful, everyone loved each other and those beautiful lights awww <3
and then I was crying because Sea God has some problems with itself and went berserk!!

I loved Manaka a LOT, she was such a strong character and I really hope she won't die :( :( I thought that first one to die will be Chisaki because she's so similiar to Maria from Shinsekai Yori!
oxo.anime.xox.manga.oxo.
Dec 28, 2013 7:26 AM

Jul 2012
Noooooo, Kaname! The moment he saw Chisaki with Tsumugu must have really shocked him. If it wasn't for that he would probably not have fallen in the sea.

Also, the series looks more like Shinsekai Yori now.

7thVoid said:
ftghb said:
that whole entire sequence with chisaki and tsumugu did not make any sense. out of the 3 main guys, chisaki had the least level of attachment with tsumugu. Why did she react so strongly for him?
Hmm... Even though I'd like to believe it was her love for him, more than likely she just overreacted because he can't breathe under water.

I believe the one who talked the most with Tsumugu was Chisaki. Also he was the first one to know about Chisaki feelings for Hikari.
Dec 28, 2013 10:28 AM

Sep 2012
Little Manaka is so cute.

Finally, Hikari confessed properly to Manaka.
What will Manaka tell to Hikari after the Ofunehiki??

When the music starts I started having goosebumps until the end.

Poor Kaname, when he saw Chisaki worrying for Tsumugu and then he fall down in the sea.

Manaka sacrificed herself to Sea God.
What happened to the Shioshishio after Manaka fallen down?? It's like a barrier.

The Ofunehiki ended badly, I hope Akari is fine. At last, Miuna called her mom.

So what all happened is done by Uroko-sama not by the Sea God??
This is getting interesting and real.
Dec 28, 2013 12:11 PM

Dec 2013
So many feels for this episode.

But why all the hate?

Seriously everyone of us here could see the results of the Ofunehiki coming, it was smacking us all in the face the entire time.

First, some mentions of things said in previous episodes:

- There was one episode where Hikari narrates about not finding anything strange about Kaname or Chisaki "at the time" because his own feelings were all muddled and shit. When that narration suddenly came up, I definitely knew some kind of shit was gonna go down.

- The Sea God scale mentioned once that Hikari is the direct descendant of "that man" or something like that. Found it strange, but I guess it was enough evidence to convince me that he's gonna be protected (or maybe that his sister is gonna be sacrificed) no matter what. Given how Japanese anime works, I'm guessing its like female descendants of whoever are the "best/only sacrifices" or something like that. Thus the reason why Akari was suddenly conveniently "tossed" into the sea. She was the only one on her boat to be tossed, probably the Sea Gods doing.

Thus it should have been no surprise at the end result of that Ofunehiki.

Second, about the Characters and what I think is gonna go down next:

Hikari - Developed from a big-headed racist brat to a fine young mature guy. Loves Manaka with all his heart, and never wavered for a second on that. Was coerced by Kaname to confess to Manaka, and even after seeing her run off, he still had the balls to make a proper confession, though given how he stopped running after her and how he made that second confession sound, it seemed like he was resigned to losing her to Tsumugu.

IMHO - He's not gonna die because in the end of this ep, we saw he was trying to get to Manaka after making sure Akari was safe, but then the whirlpool slapped him in the face like three times.

Manaka - Always thought that she was admiring Tsumugu, not really sure of what she felt herself, but in the end when all is said and done, she probably internally realized that her maturity and mental capacity (of her being a blank piece of paper all the time) probably made her incompatible with Tsumugu's emo and intellect. It wasn't like she was thinking of "settling" for Hikari, more like she had finally realized for herself exactly what her true feelings were (admiration for the "new toy boy" Tsumugu, but actual love for Hikari). The fact that she jumped into the whirlpool for Akari makes me feel like she truly matured as a character. The tears at Hikari's second confession and the "I'll tell you after the Ofunehiki" ensured that HikariXManaka ship was gonna go full speed ahead.... and then the whirlpool hits.

IMHO - Manaka isn't "dead", I figure since she wasn't suppose to be the proper sacrifice, she's probably in some sorta suspended animation or something, and the next 13 eps will be something along the lines of Hikari trying to bring her back (as with all soppy Anime romances).

Chisaki - First I really gotta say, woah, so much hate on her after this episode.... this section's gonna be long...
Chisaki knew Hikari loved Manaka, and somehow accidentally let it be known to Manaka that Chisaki loved Hikari (back in like ep 4 or 6? can't remember) when she was confiding in Tsumugu of all people. Think about the significance of this for a sec....
Also, after the previous episode, after Chisaki ran off to confess to Hikari of her feels, they both sat on the ground and talked about how Chisaki was in love with "the Hikari that was in love with Manaka". She was smart enough to realize her own feelings to make peace with herself and to realize that her love for Hikari was never gonna happen (how the heck does one fall in love with the side of another person loving someone else???). Thus for me, I think her feels for Hikari were actually resolved then and there. That left two other guys, Tsumugu and Kaname.

Throughout the course of the first 13 eps, Chisaki first took Tsumugu as an acquaintance, which then gradually built up to confidant of her feelings, gets to know him a bit better after he uses her to get at his own mother, and then before you know it, she's hugging the guy on the boat after dragging him out of the sea. In terms of emotional and intellectual quotients I think Chisaki is a much better fit with Tsumugu than Manaka ever was (I will digress here because I will talk about it in Tsumugu's section).
As a result of that though, I get the feeling that she knew already that she really had affections for Tsumugu. In a situation like the whirlpool, there is no way anyone would just stop and think rationally about who to save and who not to, you'd obviously go for the one person/thing that you wanted the most. Chisaki went for Tsumugu, thats obvious enough.
Second to that, once you have two other guys dragging Tsumugu onto the boat, what the heck would you do when your best friend is still hanging onto the side?
Obviously you'd go and pull him up as well. (No one in their right mind would be thinking "oh he can swim, don't need to help him up either")
What did she do?
Hug Tsumugu..... (is that enough of a spoiler on how different she views the two?)
Kaname let it be known early that he was in love with Chisaki, the fact that she doesn't reciprocate his feelings doesn't make her a "bitch/slut/whatever-other-insults-I've-seen-thusfar". It just means that she genuinely doesn't have the feels for the poor sap. HOWEVER...... after watching him get tossed into the sea, I think she "might" actually have a revised opinion of him (depending on whether they killed him off or not).

IMHO - Chisaki is going to be wracked with "Survivor's Guilt", think about this. She just lost two best friends to the festival and ended up watching the third one crushed by a pillar. There's absolutely no way in hell how she'll suddenly go "Oh my poor friends are all dead/gone/missing. Lets get it on Tsumugu!". With that said, if Kaname were to somehow "reappear", then I would say the next 13 eps would be a triangle with Chisaki-Tsu-Kana. If Kaname gets certified, then I figure it'll be the Chisaki-Tsu line somehow (which I still find unlikely at the moment due to the guilt and the points mentioned in Tsumugu's section below).

Kaname - The most mature and the most calculating and emo of the bunch under the sea. We all knew that he was gunning for Chisaki. We all knew he was smart enough to realize that Hikari's affections for Manaka meant that he had a "slight" chance with Chisaki at the beginning.... and then Tsumugu pops up and we all realize that he's smart enough to recognize a secondary threat as soon as he showed up (even before Chisaki herself knew it). The poor dude's unrequited love for Chisaki is a tragedy and a travesty. He has a one tracked mind when it comes to who he likes, and not afraid to admit it first when he knew the shit was going down before the hibernation. BUT, he also knew that his chances with Chisaki were getting slimmer and slimmer, which is probably why he made his confession like three times.
At the end of this episode, when he saw the scene on the boat and realized his minimal place in Chisaki's heart, BAM, he just gave up and let the sea claim him. Whether he knew the pillar was gonna crush him at that point was pretty much secondary. What went through his head would be equivalent to "that girl will never be mine". Disconsolate that you had to help the girl you love save the guy that SHE loves? Must have been utterly devastated by the hug scene on the boat. Suicidal tendencies much? I seriously feel for him because he's not unlikable as a character, but he always gets the short end of the stick (nice guys finish last much).

IMHO - Depending on whether he survives or they kill him off, I can see his line going two ways:
1.) He comes back and he tries to win Chisaki over. Whether he does or not will depend on how the story flows after that.
2.) They kill him off and ship TsumuguXChisaki. Then all of us in the forum will either be shipping them or cursing them since we all feel bad for the poor guy.

Tsumugu - Emo to the core. Interested in his Grandpa's legacy. Wants to live under water or something. Always in the right place at the right time, BUT...... never once was is shown in the entire 13 eps that he had any preference for EITHER of the girls.
Seriously, the dude is all emo, all about using other people to get at his mom and all that stuff. But in the end even with body contact and all that other stuff he never once made a move or said anything to imply that he liked either girl as more than a friend. I mean, come on for Christ sake, you see a girl crying in front of you, you sit there and smirk at her, she tells you that you're a sun and you say what? "Even when it's night now?" WTF.
The dude is smart enough to analyse the thoughts and emotions of everyone around him, there is no way he wouldn't know how the girls were feeling about him, that he made absolutely no play at them at ANY time in the first half of the series just shows that he ain't interested in Love and all that stuff (yet?). Then in ep 12, he had the balls to use them to get at his mom and admit it to the more intellectually developed Chisaki, that ain't love man, no matter how emo you are you'd never do that to a girl you actually had feelings for.

IMHO - After getting saved by Chisaki, he might actually develop feelings for her, or at the very least a sense of responsibility to care over her seeing that her other three friends seemed to have "perished in the sea", which can also lead to them shipping. Whether they ship or not, I still feel like it will all depend on whether Kaname comes back or not, and what happens afterwards if he actually did return. That said, having Chisaki watch as Kaname "dies" might actually allow Kaname to worm his way back into Chisaki's heart somehow.

So in conclusion.... (IMHO)

HikariXManaka seems almost certain.

It will be a toss between Tsumugu and Kaname for Chisaki.

Oh, and I wouldn't be surprised if in the end someone else (COUGH*Akari*COUGH) has to be sacrificed to ensure Manaka's return, since we all know that Gods don't give back their playthings easily and this anime is all about giving us dem major feels.

Holy shit, I can't believe I sat here and actually did a psycho-analysis on an anime episode..........
L-RyoshiDec 28, 2013 12:18 PM
HESTIAAPPROVES
Dec 28, 2013 12:20 PM

Apr 2013
IMHO - Manaka isn't "dead", I figure since she wasn't suppose to be the proper sacrifice, she's probably in some sorta suspended animation or something, and the next 13 eps will be something along the lines of Hikari trying to bring her back (as with all soppy Anime romances).

I didn't read your entire post, but this would be absolutely horrible. If they're going to completely kill Manaka screen-time wise (as being in suspended animation for the rest of the show would do), I'd rather she just die, along with a few other people. Seriously, seeing a main character be in a comatose state for half the show would be way too depressing. Especially if this show is supposed to have romance. I think you overestimate how many anime are willing to kill off a character for half the show.

If she's actually incapacitated, there should either be a speedy resolution, a timeskip, or a deus ex machina to save her.
Dec 28, 2013 12:41 PM

May 2013
Tons of cool stuff happening in this episode
Dec 28, 2013 3:16 PM
Oct 2013
L-Ryoshi said:
Kaname - [..] At the end of this episode, when he saw the scene on the boat and realized his minimal place in Chisaki's heart, BAM, he just gave up and let the sea claim him. Whether he knew the pillar was gonna crush him at that point was pretty much secondary. What went through his head would be equivalent to "that girl will never be mine". Disconsolate that you had to help the girl you love save the guy that SHE loves? Must have been utterly devastated by the hug scene on the boat. Suicidal tendencies much? I seriously feel for him because he's not unlikable as a character, but he always gets the short end of the stick (nice guys finish last much).

I don't think Kaname let go of the boat of his own willl though? The sailor on board spinned the helm brutally to try and avoid having the pillar crush the boat, and Kaname was thrown off by the sudden movement. The shock from seeing Chisaki hugging Tsumugu might have played a part (maybe his grip on the boat became lax from the shock?) but it looked like an accident, not a suicide attempt.
Dec 28, 2013 10:29 PM
Dec 2013
Is it just me or does anyone else see some sort of rule of three in this show?
For the preview for ep 14 three pillars are knocked down, there are three windmills in shioshishio ( I hope thats how its spelled...) in ep 1 there is a group of three volleyballs but only two basketballs in the corner when manaka is changing, and only three of those-ugh I forgot the name-but those windmill things on the surface only three are being used, plus only three kids are technically missing. Sooooooo maybe I'm just going three crazy and reading waaaaaayy to much into it but, maybe I dunno foreshadowing? p.s. We now know the pillars were only there to crush someones heart and soul along with ours.
Dec 29, 2013 6:22 AM

Jul 2013
Well, the 13th episode definitely influenced me to post here. This anime is quite the masterpiece, after all =3

I haven't read all 13 pages (my favorite number is all around this time XD) so please excuse me if I mention something that has already been discussed. However, I wish to ask you all something. From what I've seen, most users have been theorizing about the future of the characters, mainly from the couple point of view. It's not surprising, seeing as the anime's main theme is the development of relationships. Yet I have a little question for everyone.

Am I the only one who thought the sea surface froze?

That scene when we see Miuna looking towards the sea during the preview definitely seemed like ice. To me, at least. If this is indeed true, it might explain why no one could contact the people of Shioshishio. But, upon closer inspection of the preview, there are indeed some contradictions. Before the shot of Miuna's eyes, we get a look of the outside. There, we see trees and roofs covered with snow, which hints that it's winter. But when the shot of the broken tower comes, the hill bares colours of perhaps early autumn, considering the brownish and yellow colouration of the trees. Not to mention that there are waves in the sea, meaning that it has not frozen. However, in the following scene, the one I mentioned in the beginning, shows us a background of full greenery, yet the sea appears to have frozen? That or the holy flames still shine below, which wouldn't make sense. After all, the lanterns were ended by Uroko-sama and there would be no reason to keep the path of sacred fire lit. The whirlpools disappeared as well. So, other than the fact that there will be a time skip, why do you all think the sea bore such a pattern?

When it comes to my thoughts on the episode...I feel a little guilty. When Manaka said she would offer herself in exchange for Akari and Hikari came into the picture, I started going "I hope she doesn't get saved. I hope she doesn't get saved. I hope she doesn't get saved!" because, really, there are far too many animes out there where the heroine throws herself into the flames of sacrifice and the hero comes in the nick of time to rescue her. At the point when I was shivering in my seat from the emotion packed in the episode, I sincerely hoped that Manaka-chan will fulfill her wish to save Akari. That's the true drama. When life can not be saved without a proper price being payed. When the circle of life is shown to continue, despite the sadness in people's hearts. Manaka giving her own life away for the sake of not one, but at least three people's happiness (Miuna's, Itaru's and Akari's) would make her a true heroine of the series and not just "that crybaby girl, who tried being though, but got saved by the main character again, like a princess in distress". In fact, I would say Manaka deserves this tragic end, not out of hate for her, but out of respect.
Hikari's growth was shown through his monologue and his realization of taking responsibility for his actions by truly confessing his feelings and not expecting much in return. He didn't have only the "taking of charge of the situation", aka the Ofunehki, like a lot of other authors do with their characters. His personality developed one step closer to adulthood.
Chisaki was a person who disliked change. She had feelings for Hikari, but didn't wish to bring them to surface, due to her fear. Her wish was to continue being friends with everyone, yet she knew her emotions would inevitable change the group's state in some way. Her part of the monologue compilation during the beginning of the festival not only refers to the situation in general. "But the people of the sea and the people of the surface are all doing their best to live." It is the final indicator that she has accepted that life can not be held at a standstill. One must do their best to move forwards, because trying to go back or stay in one place will only cause harm to you and those around you. I'm not going to mention her confession and everything else, for length's sake XD.
Kaname was given even less screen time than Tsumugu. For the most part, he played the role of the mutual friend, who fixed everyone up, since he was the calmest of the bunch. Albeit he had feelings for Chisaki, he didn't wish to reveal them either, knowing that this would trigger an 'explosion', a domino effect of confessions, misunderstandings and generally breaking of hearts. He decided to wait for Hikari to reveal his feelings for Manaka and then tell Chisaki when she realized there was no longer hope for her. However, with Tsumugu entering the picture, he suddenly realized that things got far too complicated and couldn't contain himself any longer. Thus he confessed and didn't expect anything in return, not only because he knew the one he loved couldn't return his feelings, but because he couldn't take the emotional strain any longer. But seeing how his friends tried brushing their own feelings of and hiding them, he decided that someone had to move push them from behind. So he caused that scene at their old school. Although regretting it, it brought, benefit to the group as a whole. His line "We all want to be together forever...With the people who are precious to us, forever." while looking at Chisaki not only means that he would be happy just being at her side, he would like to be with everyone forever. Overall, he didn't develop much, simply because he had already gotten over his feelings before the start of the anime, but he still made a step forward together with everyone by telling the one he loved how he felt. Breaking free from the intentionally placed shackles was his development.
Tsumugu, in my opinion, deserved a lot more screen time. His relationship with his parents could have been touched and his back-story could, if not should, have been explained and delved into, in order to develop him. In the end, his problem was one. His impossible wish to become a person of the sea. I think it counts as development that he became sociable. He finally got friends and did something else, other than helping his grandfather and daydreaming about Shioshishio, but even that movement from a turtle to a fish should have been displayed a bit more. Still, it counts.
And lets not forget all that development with Akari and the acceptance between the land and sea. Everyone moved forward in the span of these 13 episodes from the point of mutual hatred to friendliness and teamwork.
After this long explanation of how the main four transformed, I believe it is only fair to give Manaka a proper movement as well. A metamorphose of the weakling who proves her strength, not by power in her body, but in her heart. She wasn't the most confident of the bunch, nor was she the smartest, but her spirit and warmth were the key. As a character, her path was meant to be that of emotional and willpower development. If I had to guess, I wouldn't say that what she wished to say to Hikari was a confession at all. Rather, I assume that she would tell him to wait for her, because she understood that she wasn't entirely ready for such a relationship. But even if it was a confession, it would have also shown her growth, but not as much as a true sacrifice. Giving her entire being up for the sake of those she cherished and those not being the ones she was romantically interested in boosts her importance even more. It's far too common for the couple to sacrifice themselves for one another, but seeing one of them throw themselves away for someone not part of the relationship, or that person not being the entire world or nation, is something somewhat unique or purely uncommon when it comes to anime or even literature.

On other sides of the episode itself, the chorus during the festivals sent chills down my spine. They did a fantastic job with the artwork, as usual. I loved the path of sacred blue flame they gave as a gift to Akari, as well as the whirlpools. One of my favorite pieces from the extras is the underwater echo and particles, which they used to perfection once more. The backgrounds were splendid and the dolphin sounds were lovely <3 I also liked Akari's kimono.

As for my predictions for the future...
1. Kaname will definite survive, since there is no apparent reason why not to. He could have been crushed by that pillar, but I doubt it. He and Tsumugu are somewhat unappreciated in this anime, but I don't think they'd go as far as killing him off just to make Chisaki an emotional wreck...Although it would be interesting.
2. The people of Shioshishio will be hibernating. Uroko-sama made sure of it.
3. Akari, Hikari and Chisaki are all fine and well. No reason why not to again.
4. There will be an uproar from the people of the surface, but fear will strike their hearts more than their displease. They will start fearing the sea, like they should have. After all, the Ofunehki was originally meant to calm and please the Sea God, in order for him to be merciful towards the fishers.
The following are more or less my hopes.
5. Manaka is confirmed dead. I think I made myself clear above. This would be perfect for more character development and the overall moral of the story that life must go on. We must continue to move forward, despite the sadness and pain in our hearts and the burdens we must carry with us. Not everything in life is peachy and fine. Death can knock on your door at any moment and sometimes it can take the people you love most. There is no guarantee. Not to mention that hitting the sea floor at that speed would cause multiple fractures and since she fell on her back, just one small crack of a neck bone would kill her. Still, this doesn't mean she'd be taken off the stage for good. As mentioned before, she resembles Menma quite a lot and could return as a ghost or, better yet, a goddess of the sea =D
6. Tsumugu gets Ena. I honestly thought that was the soul reason why the Sea God took him down. Tsumugu's tragic moment in the whirlpool was something that brought tears to my eyes. Just like he was the sun for Manaka, an unreachable person she could never truly be with despite her feelings, Shioshishio was the sun for him, an unreachable paradise. Seeing it underwater for that short moment of time was so lovely and heartbreaking, but if he got Ena, he could go down there whenever he wished, although it wouldn't be the same as going down when it was lively. Yet I hope his wish gets granted. The sea needs more people and if one land-lover wants to be part of it so strongly, then why not welcome him.
7. We get to see more creatures from mythology. I'm expecting this from Tsumugu's grandfather. He's an old sea-dog, a former resident of Shioshishio, who left the sea most likely due to falling in love with a woman from the surface. Being on land for so long, perhaps he would have come into contact with other spiritual or supernatural beings. Fairies or nymphs perhaps? Maybe even an orochi? Maybe he would call his contacts and ask them to investigate the situation at hand? Who knows. I simply hope we get to see other interesting existences. There are people of the sea, a scale of the Sea God and a Sea God. Who is to say there isn't anything else out there?

Well, I hope I haven't offended anyone =3 This is just my opinion and all.
Dec 29, 2013 7:18 AM

May 2010
Shit just got real !!
Dec 29, 2013 10:20 AM

Jun 2011
Sh*t got real, whoa... I didn't expect that D: Oh noes Kaname, that seemed really bad D: I hope he survives ><
And noooo, Manakaaaaa!!! ;_; Feels were strong in this episode, and dat song!
Dec 29, 2013 10:51 AM

Aug 2010
So many feels this episode. Best episode so far.

I wonder what happened to Manaka, Hikari and Kaname. Did they really die? I have a feeling at least one of them died.

Easy 5/5
Dec 29, 2013 12:37 PM

Jul 2009
shit be gettin real
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Dec 29, 2013 1:29 PM

Jun 2013
Well that escalated quickly... holy crap!

Can't say it was completely unexpected though. I knew my Shinsekai Yori alarm was the real deal!
Dec 29, 2013 3:06 PM
Sep 2013
Whoa, that was my favourite episode so far! I can't believe we have to wait so long for the next one thought ;^; what am I going to do!?
Y'know to be honest, before I didn't really like Manaka that much but I must say that my respect for her has grown immensely after what she did and I'm personally quite proud of her. I'd be very surprised if she was dead though, seeing as the series is only halfway through and she and Hikari seem to be the main main pair you know? But wow what a plot twist is she did die o.O
I don't think Kaname died either because of the overall way the anime is but you never know, I'd be more inclined to believe his death than Manaka's because I don't know, he seems to be kind of excluded from the whole tangle of love triangles you know? Sure he likes Chisaki but I mean really, what are the chances of them getting together now ._.? Pretty low. And speaking of Chisaki, wow. She's involved in some way with ALL the main guys now. Likes Hikari, got something going on with Tsumugu, and is liked by Kaname. Whoa.
Am I the only one that thinks she's deteriorating instead of developing like the others? Manaka and Hikara are turning out to be pretty cool lately, whereas she was originally calm and is now slowly becoming just as indecisive as Manaka...
Dec 29, 2013 6:29 PM

Apr 2012
hpulley said:
Hikari was waving his flag hard but Manaka set the biggest death flag of all... that slam into the ocean floor was really, Really, REALLY hard. Without some sea god magic, she is totally dead. Ouch. I cried hard for that one, I really did. Wasn't expecting it at all, even with the big death flag setup.

That was hardly a death flag. If anything, it was a "being-held-captive-by-the-sea" flag.

Madara31 said:
But now I'm more open to the idea of Chisaki x Tsumugu since this episode actually showed rather concrete evidence of feelings from Chisaki's part.

What the hell are you talking about?
Dec 29, 2013 7:05 PM

Apr 2012
this Episode so Tragic... :'(

The Storm just going more Powerfull

waiting next episode

Dec 29, 2013 7:28 PM

Aug 2012
That was intense, for a second i thought someone was going to die.
Dec 29, 2013 10:22 PM

Feb 2013
Wow awesome episode. Things really ramped up this time.
~ El Psy Congroo~

Dec 30, 2013 1:00 AM

May 2013
http://cdn.gifbay.com/2012/12/wave_of_feels-18739.gif

:( episode was great but like the feels are so strong this series has to be one of the best i have ever seen and it still continues to impress me,
Dec 30, 2013 2:10 AM

Oct 2009
Wow, well that was unpredictable as hell!
Amazing episode! Beautiful and powerful OST here as well. Knew Chisaki X Tsumugu was gonna happen..but dang Kaname..can't be dead, right??
I think Manaka likes Hikari as well.
Dec 30, 2013 2:22 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Kaname, that you thought you only liked Chisaki to you? Oh, you still have to grow up! XD
Oh! The drama and the screams of pain, a nice change of narrative, I'd say! ASD
Disputes are always opened, who loves who! Under this point of view, the narrative is not disappointing at all, in a certain sense. Manaka seems closer to Hii-kun is Chisaki the true revelation, yet to understand the relationship between her and her lovers! Harem? I am in favor! * _ *
I like the plot, never challenge a God, beautiful growth of Hikari and Kaname, to see them do those speeches so deep it seemed to see men madly in love, but kids!
Technically and visually excellent!
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 17, 2013

186 by basskiller »»
May 18, 11:53 PM

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2013

168 by basskiller »»
May 17, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2014

652 by oooo3333 »»
Apr 3, 12:02 AM

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2013

385 by Wishimog »»
Feb 18, 10:10 PM

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2014

353 by trabeus1 »»
Jan 18, 5:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.