Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Jun 24, 2012 9:38 PM

Apr 2011
I Lol @ people who just watch anime to "Tear up" seriously? if you wanna tear up so bad I think it's time you guys upgrade to some drama show's or something.

This was a well written anime that explained the story behind this tragedy I would give it a 10/10
:]

And besides you people should start looking more into depth of the meaning behind this anime it's like most of the people saying on this thread "To bring family together" etc. etc.
and besides Yuuki's death is reasonable... Heatstroke on a child is very serious especially when they explained being "Far away" from home. Yes, you might see them getting there fast from Point A to Point B but have you ever considered transportation getting you there in a few hours?... They also explained and showed them walking from town to town holding a 3-day emergency kit. Think about it walking under the heat for 3 days straight from town to town? especially on a child? everything is reasonable

I'm just saying by the way... Overall GREAT ANIME!
Jun 26, 2012 11:26 AM

Dec 2008
I hate all these people who mark the show down just because yuki died. I mean I didn't want him to die but the emotions the death created fit with the show and I feel like that was their whole point. Also I think it wasn't heat stroke that got yuki, it was when tokyo tower fell and so metal fell on his head. At that point I think he had concussion of sorts and slowly died as the series progressed. I mean look at the symptoms: Hallucinations and vomiting and loss of appetite. Either way anime was awesome as it made me cry and think multiple times and it really got its point across.

9/10
Jun 26, 2012 6:02 PM

Apr 2011
ultimateninjax said:
I hate all these people who mark the show down just because yuki died. I mean I didn't want him to die but the emotions the death created fit with the show and I feel like that was their whole point. Also I think it wasn't heat stroke that got yuki, it was when tokyo tower fell and so metal fell on his head. At that point I think he had concussion of sorts and slowly died as the series progressed. I mean look at the symptoms: Hallucinations and vomiting and loss of appetite. Either way anime was awesome as it made me cry and think multiple times and it really got its point across.

9/10

ahhh that was the cause? I thought it was heat stroke or something because Mari mentioned it
even doh nice anime overall :]
Jul 7, 2012 1:16 AM
Jul 2018
There were countless other ways to have ended things and still kept everyone alive and develop as a character. I just think they included the death of Yuuki because most disaster media ends happily.
I think if they left it ambiguous if he died or not and were very subtle at hinting at it throughout the entire series, this could have been a favourite for me. Oh, ending it with a "Squall is dead" thing like in Final Fantasy VIII would have been cool, too.

I'm giving this 9/10, but adding a note that they should set a few boundaries on the "realistic hypothetical situations" that they make, and not include ghosts and spirits.
Sep 14, 2012 5:18 PM
Aug 2009
Ever since the beginning, I had this bad feeling something bad would happen to Yuuki. Never imagined my hunch was so accurate. But the signs were there all the time: he was so cute and innocent, and a voice of reason to Mirai, and she kept being bad to him (in the beginning). And later on everything else. I think he got the injury to the head when he saved her from the Tokyo Tower. That's when I kept being pretty anxious,and from then on it got worse. For the last three episodes I couldn't stop crying, never thought it'd get this touching. The kid is my hero.
Oct 9, 2012 11:38 PM
Sep 2012
Great ending, i cried a bunch... not the AnoHana type of crying, but it brought me to tears, no homo, i cant help it.

Yuuki molded the family back together, it was really sad that he died.

Keep moving on Mirai-san :) Yuuki lives in you.

...and as usual, the ED soundtrack sets the mood right, that "it was good" type of smile :)

8/10
Oct 17, 2012 1:48 AM

Jun 2012
I kept thinking mirai was going to jump from the window every time she was in her room.....
Oct 21, 2012 12:24 AM
Jul 2018
10/10

Top 5 anime for me. I have never cried so much when watching something. Never.
Oct 24, 2012 10:47 AM

Feb 2011
Couldn't hold it into me , i cried tbh .
Oct 24, 2012 10:50 AM

Dec 2008
Should've seen me after I watched this episode. Crying buckets, I was.
Oct 28, 2012 9:27 AM

May 2012
/Such a sad ending still everything was getting better and coming to an end this had to happen, really great ending though but so sad to watch, started crieng a couple of times bcs it was so touching!

Really great anime, loved it 9/10
Nov 13, 2012 11:21 PM

May 2011
Great anime. I think it deserves a 9/10.
I still wonder what causes Yuuki's death though.

Heat stroke or this(below)?

ultimateninjax said:
Also I think it wasn't heat stroke that got yuki, it was when tokyo tower fell and so metal fell on his head. At that point I think he had concussion of sorts and slowly died as the series progressed. I mean look at the symptoms: Hallucinations and vomiting and loss of appetite.
Nov 26, 2012 1:57 PM

Jul 2012
i'm too lazy to post on every single episode discussion so i'll just say everything here.

8/10
5/5 for ending.

why did it lose two points? ok. kinda boring at times. i was really reluctant to finish this series because the few half did not peak my interest at all.
expectations: awesome action and earthquake shit..
reality: heartwarming stories about human interaction

not that it's bad but i expected a bit more BOOM and CRASH

um...i kinda rather watch this in a movie format. seriously, the main plot is that mirai and yuuki have to get back home safely. there's not much other stuff it needs. :| i loved some of the side stories like robot nerd and the grandma x grandpa one, but they were unnecessary.

don't click the spoiler until you've watched ep11.

it's also kind of episodic due to the unnecessary (but good) side stories...lol i actually watched episode 5,6,7,8 out of order by accident and it still made sense in the end... :D

does this deserve a rewatch from me? maybe. i'll keep it in my hard drive for now :)
Dec 6, 2012 10:12 PM

Apr 2011
the problem is that I couldn't really feel sad for the characters because I DIDN'T KNOW HOW HE DIED. I was more confused during this episode than I was sad, I know he went to the hospital because he was a little ill but it wasn't death worthy and I don't even understand how you can even contract a deathly disease out of thin air. I mean you could've easily killed him off with like a falling building or something but why do you have to take him off like that. 6/10 It was a pretty decent series with a few flaws but honestly this really pushed it over the edge for me. I really wanted to feel emotion during the scene but because of the way he died I just couldn't.

EDIT: I guess, I understand It could've been the pieces of building in episode 4 but the characters other than Mirai interacted with him. If Mirai was hallucinating then others peoples interaction with Yuuki wouldn't have been able to speak with the robot loving guy or anyone.
FordFocus96Dec 6, 2012 10:40 PM
Dec 19, 2012 8:34 PM

Jan 2012
This anime was alright. Certainly no cliffhangers that made me want to pick up on the next episode. Seriously. It took me an entire month to start and finish this!

The show was average until eps 8 and on. How they played out Yuuki's death was a little confusing (I don't search around for details like some of you), but the execution of the ending was a tear jerker. Just like with Angel Beats, Clannad, Kanon, and Ano Hana, it tugs at the tears, even though they never seem to actually fall.

Feels like I should give it an 8/10. If only I actually cared about the characters more..

Edit: I wish they actually stated on the show for sure (not just Mirai saying a headache), what killed Yuuki instead of being told that it was a concussion from others.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 1, 2013 1:38 PM

Dec 2012
Ah, you can call me a crybaby but ... [this is my blog entry I did right after I finished the show]

Dear Yuuki ...

Sorry guys I just ... , can't write anything more today. PS: Everything I wrote is true.

{END OF BLOG ENTRY}

I don't know why but I got so attached to Yuuki, Mirai-chan and Mari-san. This doesn't happen often that I get like this , I think that my delusions of being tough were smashed into pieces. But I guess I lack emotion in real life.
Someone just hit me now, please.
Feb 1, 2013 2:26 PM

Jan 2013
A really good anime. At the last episode i almost cried ^^
Feb 11, 2013 3:15 PM

Sep 2011
Nice final episode, but I felt it was lacking something, I don't really know what though,

I liked the anime and the whole idea behind it, but somehow I still couldn't got into it as much as I wanted to. I liked the the way they built up Yuuki's death, since I found this kind of post-traumatic reaction (or whatever) from Mirai pretty realistic. It was stretched too long though, especially in the previous episode with the disappearing/reappearing. It also got a bit too much attention after it started and not enough attention for the aftermath of the earthquake. I felt like it wasn't really about the disaster at some points.
The characters were likeable, so no real problem there.
The show was also kind of boring a few times here and there. Like the episode about Mari's past. It felt kind of unnecessary.

Overall, as much as I wanted to give this a higher score, due to the reasons above I'm gonna give it a 7/10. It was good, but it could have been much better imo.
Feb 11, 2013 3:19 PM

Jun 2007
Sheikmaster32 said:
the problem is that I couldn't really feel sad for the characters because I DIDN'T KNOW HOW HE DIED. I was more confused during this episode than I was sad, I know he went to the hospital because he was a little ill but it wasn't death worthy and I don't even understand how you can even contract a deathly disease out of thin air. I mean you could've easily killed him off with like a falling building or something but why do you have to take him off like that. 6/10 It was a pretty decent series with a few flaws but honestly this really pushed it over the edge for me. I really wanted to feel emotion during the scene but because of the way he died I just couldn't.

EDIT: I guess, I understand It could've been the pieces of building in episode 4 but the characters other than Mirai interacted with him. If Mirai was hallucinating then others peoples interaction with Yuuki wouldn't have been able to speak with the robot loving guy or anyone.

Bit of an old post to reply to, but the reason he died was very likely from the impact of debris to his forehead when he saves Mirai. Ever since then his health is brought up regularly and they even mention a bump on his head - which you can write off as nothing because "anime". However, this is a realistic series, and a piece of concrete being hurled at you would cause not only a bad concussion but other possibly fatal brain trauma from the impact. He was likely bleeding into his brain, hemorrhaged, or so many other issues that can come from such an impact and easily kill you very quickly or painfully and over a few days.
Feb 17, 2013 2:24 PM

Jul 2012
I'm not crying! :'(
I hate the word “fate.” Birth, encounters, partings, success and failures, fortune and misfortunes in life. If our lives are already set in stone by fate, then why are we even born? There are those born to wealthy families, those born to beautiful mothers, and those born into the middle of war or poverty. If that’s all caused by fate, then God is incredibly unfair and cruel. Because, ever since that day, none of us had a future and the only certain thing was that we wouldn’t amount to anything. - Takakura Shouma
Feb 21, 2013 9:05 PM

Aug 2008
So, is Yuuki a ghost or just Mirai having delusion?
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Feb 24, 2013 12:08 AM

Jul 2012
i watched this series from start to finish in one day. i really got into it and just couldnt stop watching. maybe thats why i actually got emotional at the end... its kinda embarrasing.. but i actually shed a tear. it was like a scene from a movie, i didnt cry, but a single tear ran down my cheek..

10/10 for invoking that kind of emotion in me.
Feb 26, 2013 2:14 AM

Aug 2011
I must be as weak as puddy because I cried over every emotional bit.. ;~; I swear if my body's made up of 75% of water, I must have none in me now! Truly touching and heartbreaking at the same time but WELL WORTH THE WATCH! <3 9/10 from me!
Do not feed the trolls! They bite ;D
Feb 28, 2013 2:38 PM

Dec 2012
I was glad Mari's family survived, because I was actually fearing the worst...
About what happened to Yuuki, I think it was too sad, I just loved that little boy :(
However, I loved this anime, because sometimes, unexpected turn of events make some animes even more worth watching !
Mar 1, 2013 3:37 PM
Sep 2011
Anime like this are the reason for deforestation... seriously, I used up like a box of tissues... this anime is just amazing, it doesn't need special effects, moe, mecha, supernatural things and so on to make watching it worthwhile ...
Mar 4, 2013 11:01 AM
May 2012
This really touched me, sooo sad. I got attached to Yuuki he was a loveable character, but the way it turned out it almost brought me to tears
9/10 awesome series, brilliant story.

Mar 31, 2013 11:49 AM

Nov 2011
weel done anime ,with realistic take on aftermath of earthquakes ,and some really painfull tearjerking moments ,was really great for me
- Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak.

- The biggest challenge in life is being yourself… In a world trying to make you like everyone else
May 15, 2013 11:32 PM

Dec 2012
Great ending to a great anime. Most of what happened though I can't say surprised me, everything went similarly to what I expected which is kind of disappointing. 9/10
May 30, 2013 2:53 AM

Feb 2013
I really enjoyed it since I didn't realize Yuuki was dead until he kept disappearing in the school. The series overall was awesome. Made it really tough to keep my composure last few episodes.
~ El Psy Congroo~

Jun 2, 2013 2:48 PM

Apr 2013
absolutly enjoyed it, started sheding tears from about 5mins till about 18mins. one of the few to actually make me cry, not just a wet eye actuall tears
Jun 12, 2013 8:37 PM

Jan 2013
1 of the only 3 anime in which I shed a tear (other 2 being Clannad AS and AnoHana). A LOT better than I thought it was going to be. 9/10. This anime needs to be seen by more people.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 20, 2013 5:40 AM

Jul 2007
Very good and touching ending but sad that they killed off Yuuki. I though he was alive way up to this episode until it hit me.
Jul 17, 2013 9:39 PM

Mar 2012
Wow, I actually did not notice that Yuuki has been dead since episode 8 until after reading this thread. Great series, very sad.
Jul 24, 2013 2:42 PM

May 2012
Very touching, and great quality anime. Yuuki's death was a cliché after all (the nicest main character dies), but it was surrounded from a nice idea (his spirit follows Mirai and leads her home without nobody noticing).

8/10 for me.
Jul 26, 2013 6:34 AM

Sep 2011
my first watch, i cried so so much. too realistic it was scary. empathy all the way.
2nd watch was ok; you get your head around more; thou it wasnt supposed to be a show you can rewatch to get the same impact

hated Mirai at first, but glad that she got development in her character.
one of the saddest things you can ever experience in your life. and as a child, even. not all kids get to grieve and still not save the world.
Aug 9, 2013 2:25 PM

Aug 2012
its strange that people really hated Mirai that much, or am i the strange one here ......coz i like her ......

nice ending, i even shed some tears.
Aug 30, 2013 10:01 AM

Mar 2011
gino_san said:
its strange that people really hated Mirai that much, or am i the strange one here ......coz i like her ......

nice ending, i even shed some tears.

This is probably the only anime where I haven't hated the fact that the main lead is so damn pessimistic. It usually makes me so annoyed at the character, but this time it didn't, no idea why though.
Mr. Wonsworth, you may NOT eat my scones!
Sep 29, 2013 3:35 AM

Jun 2012
just finished watching and very sad ending
versuzSep 29, 2013 3:43 AM
Oct 14, 2013 5:37 AM
Aug 2011
It was the best episode so far, might have given this a 9 but the repeated scenes of yuuki wondering off and then suddenly earthquake happening in the midway of show really bothered me.

Nicely done, it would get a 7 without those last two episodes. Guess I would give it a 8.5 if it was possible.

Didn't cry throughout the series but let's say it was close.
Oct 20, 2013 1:46 PM
Feb 2013
WOW! Can't expect her brother would die. the last two episodes really shock me to tears.
8/10 from me
Oct 21, 2013 4:31 PM
Oct 2013
I hated how stupid his death was. So stupid how he just died of exhaustion.
Oct 26, 2013 5:38 AM

Aug 2008
Honestly, this show alone made me cry more than the rest of Clannad.
"Everyone wears their own panties inside their heart" - Kousaku Hata

Nov 12, 2013 7:08 PM

Jul 2012
Y'know, unless the debris from the drink store had a large impact on Yuuki's health alone, I don't think he would have died if Mirai hadn't argued with him at that park. That caused him to walk toward the Tokyo Tower where he was then hit on the head and received that bump/suspected concussion.
Nov 15, 2013 12:03 AM

Jan 2013
Okarima said:
I hated how stupid his death was. So stupid how he just died of exhaustion.

Maybe you should rewatch the series if you think he "just died of exhaustion."
Dec 19, 2013 1:49 PM

Oct 2012
it's shame, i hate bad ending... this show failed to make me cry. maybe because lack of soundtrack quality? :/

Dec 20, 2013 1:11 PM

Aug 2013
One of my favorites. Really enjoyed watching it. I cried a lot I guess because it remind me of my brother and I.
Dec 26, 2013 1:37 PM

Sep 2012
oh my god...i just can't describe how much feels i had at the final episodes..one of the saddest animes i'v seen

9/10
Jan 3, 2014 1:26 AM

Nov 2013
A little late to the party (heck, it's more like a funeral), but just finished watching the series on Blu-ray this evening. Last episode was hard to take. No young girl should lose her little brother like that. Poor girl was delusional for quite some time after that. And Yuuki was such a good kid. Smart, cared a lot for his older sister, and a total optimist with a positive sense of life. He was a bright light in an otherwise depressing post-apocolyptic world. After his death, I became concerned that Mirai was losing it, mentally. I'm relieved that she finally came to terms with it, so she can go on living as a sane person, but she will forever bear the guilt of arguing with him that time that he ran away and got hit in the head with falling debris when Tokyo tower fell. This is a burden she will carry for the rest of her years.

In the beginning, Mirai seems fatalistic and spoiled, and the way events started out, it seemed like she got what she 'wished' for. Of course, that's more than she bargained for. The next three days would be a painful growing experience for her. I think the visit from Mari at the end was as it should have been. She was a person who put aside her own worries to look after these two kids for several days, through rough conditions and very dangerous aftershocks. Her visit and the tender moments she shared remembering Yuuki with Mirai were cathartic for both of them. They needed some sort of closure. The birthday gift for mom was an important part of that, as is the fact that Yuuki lives on in the hearts of the other members of his family. Anyone who has lost a loved one has probably experienced this.

Very excellent series, but just too damned devastating in the end. It can't be helped. It's tragic. But there is also hope in the memories and the reconstruction of Tokyo. I think this was an appropriate ending. I can't say that I "enjoyed" it. It was painful to endure their tragedy, even vicariously. I would say that I was more 'impressed' with it, than enjoyed it. It was one of the most emotionally-moving series ever. Had the same impact as Grave of the Fireflies, but with the difference being there is hope for the future in "Tokyo Magnitude 8.0."
Jan 10, 2014 5:23 PM

Mar 2013
Ending was a tad sad, but to me don't even come near anohana .9/10 Yukii was my favorite characther.
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Jan 17, 2014 7:58 PM

Apr 2012
I think Yuuki died from complications from a concussion. He was vomiting, had headaches, confusion, fatigue, etc. Something was missing from the anime but I can't put my finger on it. Regardless I cried a bit at the end.

7/10 maybe 8

Pages (11) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

wakka9ca - Jul 23, 2009

179 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 3, 3:32 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

wakka9ca - Jul 16, 2009

193 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 3, 3:16 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Wasabi - Jul 9, 2009

253 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 3, 1:35 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

wakka9ca - Aug 7, 2009

144 by hafizo_kurosaki »»
Jan 25, 10:06 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Sporkness - Sep 10, 2009

214 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 10:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.