Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 23, 2013 11:19 AM

Mar 2008
Whenever tensai staff come together.
Oct 23, 2013 11:23 AM

Apr 2013
Well, let's see...
2013: Shingeki no Kyojin
2012: None( hopefully this changes after watching Psycho Pass and Shinsekai Yori)
2011: Steins Gate
2010: Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
2009: Hajime no Ippo New Challenger
2008: None
2007: Code Geass R2
2006: Code Geass, Death Note
2005: Mushishi
2004: None
2003: Fullmetal Alchemist

So, I'd say for me on average there's about 1 masterpiece per year which is actually pretty good.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Oct 23, 2013 11:27 AM

May 2013
Oct 23, 2013 11:44 AM

Jul 2013
Shuhan said:
Depends on how big of a faggot an individual is. The biggest of faggots will probably find a "masterpiece" once or twice in a decade. Those who arent faggots will find one yearly.
True story
I feel like a lot of people here are denying the fact that certain anime are masterpieces simply because they don't suit them, I am completely open minded and new to this however so I can watch anime from any style and love it as long as it truly is a masterpiece, but in this discussion my question has sort of been answered as its one a year, this year I can say in my mind there may be 2. Kill LA Kill and monogatari second series.
"Okarin... Okarin... I don't know who that is, but when I say his name, I feel warm inside" - Mayuri "Mayushii" Shiina
Oct 23, 2013 11:49 AM

Apr 2013
Also there is only one LoGH
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Oct 23, 2013 11:51 AM

Apr 2011
1-2 one season, 0 the next. You never know how or when a masterpiece will come. Hell, it could even be disguised as plain shit. Then there are crap disguised as masterpieces.
Oct 23, 2013 11:59 AM
Apr 2011
i think a lot of people here are undermining the definition of a "masterpiece"

the way i see it, you shouldn't see a masterpiece annually or something - great anime, sure, but a masterpiece should be truly exceptional and timeless

basically a 10 among 10s

if you disagree, power to you i guess, but really it's about how exclusive you make the definition

and yes, whether an anime is a masterpiece is totally subjective, so it's fine for people to deny that a certain anime is one

as for me, i'm open-minded as well and can usually see what an anime does well even if i don't enjoy it much, but i don't label anything as such easily
don't even use the word great lightly - i'm pretty picky when it comes to my anime and thus i usually have enjoyed everything i've seen, so it isn't like i'm trying to be an elitist

set the bar high, and you'll appreciate series that hit that bar that much more
Oct 23, 2013 12:24 PM

Feb 2012
shattereddreamzz said:
Well, the last one I gave a 10/10 came in 2009.
So, I am still waiting for a masterpiece for the past 4 years -_-

Make it five years, but I doubt I'm going to be giving out any high votes to anime ever again. It's a waste of time to just wait something to happen. Better find the good stuff elsewhere.
Oct 23, 2013 12:55 PM

Jun 2013
JustALEX said:
Depends on your tastes.

Some people give out 10s all the time.

Others rarely if ever do it.

So far this year, my only 10/10 is going to Monogatari Second Season (so far).

Damn it i want to watch monogatari s2 even more now :/Can't wait until it finishes so i can marathon it.

I agree whit you for someone that is easy to please can have a lot of masterpieces and some don't ever give an anime title masterpiece.
Oct 23, 2013 1:09 PM

Jun 2012
Not often to never. It really depends on tastes in the end, though. An 'objective' masterpiece is something very very rare though. Something like that might never come out again. Also, what people consider a 'masterpiece' might be completely different from how someone else sees it. I haven't given out many 10s, and I can can say that it's mostly biased for me, not all of them are 'masterpieces'. A true masterpiece is phenomenal in all aspects it tries to accomplish, has depth, is engaging and unique, complexity, great characters, little to no use of common tropes, is devoid of any plot holes, has masterful trajectory, and a great exposition/resolution. They're aren't really many anime at all that have this, and I can't say any in past years have had all of this. This year being one of the worst in a long time, can't really hold up to any of these expectations. 'True masterpieces' are truly rare.
получить деньги моего друга
Oct 23, 2013 1:16 PM

Apr 2013
samishime said:
Not often to never. It really depends on tastes in the end, though. An 'critical'' masterpiece is something

Fixed.

OT: This year probably Monogatari second season.
Oct 23, 2013 1:18 PM

Nov 2010
Arararraragi-kun said:
samishime said:
Not often to never. It really depends on tastes in the end, though. A 'critical'' masterpiece is something

Fixed.

Fixed
Oct 23, 2013 1:27 PM

Jun 2012
Arararraragi-kun said:
samishime said:
Not often to never. It really depends on tastes in the end, though. An 'objective' masterpiece is something

Fixed.

No, it is not "fixed", I meant objective. Also no, Monogatari will not be a masterpiece.
Oct 23, 2013 1:39 PM

Apr 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Fixed

It took me a minute to notice what you changed...
samishime said:

No, it is not "fixed", I meant objective. Also no, Monogatari will not be a masterpiece.

There is no such thing as an objective masterpiece, unless you have your own defintion of ''objective''. No one asked for your opinion fool, not to mention that you didn't even watch anything Monogatari related..
Oct 23, 2013 1:44 PM

Jun 2012
Arararraragi-kun said:

samishime said:

There is no such thing as an objective masterpiece, unless you have your own defintion of ''objective''. No one asked for your opinion fool, not to mention that you didn't even watch anything Monogatari related..

I have it's just not on my list. Also, I defined what a masterpiece is in the post, if you looked at it. If you're playing that card, who gives a shit about your opinion "fool"?
nasliwnblOct 23, 2013 1:52 PM
Oct 23, 2013 1:51 PM

Dec 2012
For me, I run into something I deem 10 worthy every 2-3 months now a days. You'd think I'd have higher standards by now, but I'm still at easy to please as ever.
Oct 23, 2013 2:03 PM

Apr 2013

Further questions can be directed towards this guy

> I have it's just not on my list

Lol, classic.
Oct 23, 2013 2:07 PM

Jan 2013
Varies on years, and ofcourse depends on opinion.
I'd say about 2 each 3 years maybe?
Oct 23, 2013 2:11 PM

Aug 2012
Depends. The amount of elitism you have is inversely proportional to how often you find masterpieces.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Oct 23, 2013 2:19 PM

Jun 2012
Arararraragi-kun said:

Lol, classic.

Using someone else's thought process as your own, huh? And yes, I have seen it. It's not bad, but it's not great either, it's okay. Characters are good and well done in the first season, and animation is unique. However, in Nisemonogatari, I think they focused on the wrong things, and Hitagi takes a back seat (I don't like it). I doubt the new season does anything the others haven't, even if it is really good.
Oct 23, 2013 2:24 PM

Sep 2012
j0x said:
once a year

agree.
Oct 23, 2013 3:44 PM

Dec 2012
There is no set figure since quality of shows vary widely, but I would estimate that I come across at least 1 or 2 in a year's time-frame of anime watching. That seems to be my average, although some years there are zero and in 2006 it went as high as ten titles.
KruszerAug 2, 9:59 PM
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Oct 23, 2013 3:52 PM
Aug 2013
I haven't seen one since 1999
Oct 23, 2013 4:05 PM

Aug 2012
Rather than being worried about how often a masterpiece comes out, i'm worried with all the possible masterpieces out there that i never had a chance to watch yet :(

Classifying a Masterpiece is hard to define, you could even say that this year there was a couple Masterpieces, but in a few years change your mind and say that afterall there was only one or even zero.
Oct 23, 2013 4:27 PM

Nov 2012
I'd say at least one every 4-5 years personally. There aren't any "objective" masterpieces as far as I'm concerned. The conditions for the title of masterpiece varies from person to person.
Oct 23, 2013 5:13 PM

Oct 2013
Cowboy bebop is the newest anime that i would consider a masterpiece, and that was 15 years ago, before that was akira for me, so i wouldnt expect a masterpiece anymore sooner than maybe 18 years
Oct 23, 2013 7:26 PM
elk sensei

Oct 2013
Anime_and_Dota said:
The term masterpiece is ambiguous I guess because its based on opinion, but I'm a bit of a scrub when it comes to anime as I've only watched 5 days and everything I've ever seen has been a
9-10/10 except for guilty crown (though it was average at best).
So, how often does a masterpiece come out?
Movies included
I mean something that will be top 100

Sorry, but even with your explanation, it is just too subjective.
Oct 23, 2013 7:52 PM

Jul 2013
samishime said:
Arararraragi-kun said:

samishime said:

I have it's just not on my list. Also, I defined what a masterpiece is in the post, if you looked at it. If you're playing that card, who gives a shit about your opinion "fool"?
guys pls no h8 just aprecy8
But still man how can you judge monogatari when it is still airing? I think its been a masterpiece so far anyways.
"Okarin... Okarin... I don't know who that is, but when I say his name, I feel warm inside" - Mayuri "Mayushii" Shiina
Oct 23, 2013 7:56 PM

Jul 2013
Arararraragi-kun said:

Lol, classic.
*applauds*
Oct 23, 2013 8:01 PM

Dec 2012
If we're going with the MAL ratings as a standard I think there are typically 1-2 very well received shows that come out each year. It gets complicated if we are considering personal masterpieces though since the standard for what qualifies as a masterpiece varies. The two shows I've seen that I would consider masterpieces both came out this decade, so I think that makes me more optimistic about the future of anime than some of the other posters here.
Oct 23, 2013 8:21 PM

Jun 2012
Anime_and_Dota said:
samishime said:
Arararraragi-kun said:

samishime said:

guys pls no h8 just aprecy8
But still man how can you judge monogatari when it is still airing? I think its been a masterpiece so far anyways.

"Masterpiece," says the guy with Angel Beats and Clannad in his favorites.
Oct 23, 2013 8:23 PM

Jan 2008
Once a week.
Oct 23, 2013 8:31 PM
Mar 2013
samishime said:

*Unable to grasp the concept of personal taste, the hater continues his mocking campaign.*

See you in next chapter!
Oct 23, 2013 8:32 PM
Apr 2011
daedroth4 said:
If we're going with the MAL ratings as a standard I think there are typically 1-2 very well received shows that come out each year. It gets complicated if we are considering personal masterpieces though since the standard for what qualifies as a masterpiece varies. The two shows I've seen that I would consider masterpieces both came out this decade, so I think that makes me more optimistic about the future of anime than some of the other posters here.

implying MAL ratings are reliable

samishime said:

based on your replies and MAL list (fellow eva fan), i'd humbly suggest you give LotGH a shot
Oct 23, 2013 8:33 PM

Oct 2011
CRadu said:
samishime said:

*Unable to grasp the concept of personal taste, the hater continues his mocking campaign.*

See you in next chapter!

The war on "melodrama" got old ages ago, despite so these people just won't stop beating on a dead horse. You'd think that after so long they'd have gotten tired of it, but nope.
Oct 23, 2013 8:34 PM

Jul 2013
IDK & IDC
Oct 23, 2013 8:34 PM
May 2012
Most of my 10s I gave this year ended up dropping to a 9 or 8 when finished airing. So much disappoint :c

Especially Railgun :/ it was so good for the first cour, that filler just ruined everything.
Oct 23, 2013 8:35 PM

Oct 2011
OT:

Gintama': Enchousen

Alternative Titles
Synonyms: Gintama' (2012), Gintama' Overdrive, Kintama
Japanese: 銀魂' 延長戦

Information
Type: TV
Episodes: 13
Aired: Oct 4, 2012 to Mar 28, 2013

----------------------------
There you go.

Inb4 objectivity
Oct 23, 2013 8:35 PM

Jun 2013
Masterpiece are a myth, everything is subjective.
Xinil said:
Thanks for joining MAL.

Oct 23, 2013 8:37 PM

Jan 2008
Maria_Sama said:
Masterpiece are a myth, everything is subjective.

Inferno Cop. He surpasses a masterpiece. He and the show are on their own level, a level above that which is consider a masterpiece.
Oct 23, 2013 8:40 PM

Jun 2012
mbac said:

samishime said:

based on your replies and MAL list (fellow eva fan), i'd humbly suggest you give LotGH a shot

I have, but sadly it was deleted when my old hard drive died... I intend to finish it when I feel like downloading it again haha.

CRadu said:
samishime said:

See you in next chapter!

Personal taste or shit taste? You decide.
Oct 23, 2013 8:44 PM
Mar 2013
samishime said:

CRadu said:
samishime said:

See you in next chapter!

And on what basis do you get to decide who has shit taste and good taste ? It's god damn subjective. Grasp the concept,
Oct 23, 2013 8:47 PM

Jun 2012
CRadu said:
samishime said:

CRadu said:
samishime said:

See you in next chapter!

And on what basis do you get to decide who has shit taste and good taste ? It's god damn subjective. Grasp the concept,

Watch your use of that word, Mr. shit-taste.
Oct 23, 2013 9:14 PM

Jul 2012
Masterpieces can happen anytime. Maybe 3-4 per year?
Oct 24, 2013 9:40 AM

Apr 2013
> Has Texhnolyze in his favorites
> Dares to say other people have shit taste

Oct 24, 2013 9:47 AM

Feb 2010
Arararraragi-kun said:
> Has Texhnolyze in his favorites
> Dares to say other people have shit taste

Let's agree that everyone who watches anime should not talk about shit taste. It's easier and saves time. Now go back to exchanging 'factual' arguments guys.
What was the discussion about again?
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 24, 2013 10:55 AM

Mar 2012
Ventose said:
There is only one Cowboy Bebop

Not counting movies, then this. FMA/Brotherhood come very close.
Oct 24, 2013 11:02 AM

Jun 2008
i reckon about 2-3 every five years or something, maybe 4 if you are lucky?

shattereddreamzz said:
Well, the last one I gave a 10/10 came in 2009.
So, I am still waiting for a masterpiece for the past 4 years -_-

It came out and it was called Steins;Gate you just failed to realize it.
Oct 24, 2013 12:17 PM

Jul 2013
CRadu said:
samishime said:

See you in next chapter!
true story
Oct 24, 2013 12:26 PM

Jul 2010
My last 10/10 was FMA:Bro, which ended in 2010. Nichibros was a masterpiece if not for some miss the mark jokes.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Why do girls like making boys cross-dress?

BlueMaho - Today

28 by Zarutaku »»
3 minutes ago

» What are the best series that you think scare Anime Tourists away?

IpreferEcchi - 52 minutes ago

11 by traed »»
9 minutes ago

» What do you prefer the English title or the Japanese title of an anime ?

internetguy214 - 11 hours ago

31 by thewiru »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » The One Piece—are you hyped about it? ( 1 2 )

All_Knowing - Yesterday

58 by Fatephile »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Rick and Morty: The Anime Episode 1 Discussion

AshuAmbrose - 7 hours ago

18 by RainyEvenings »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.