Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 4, 2013 3:23 PM

Feb 2013
mvetS said:
How does guy live in a world of pokemon for 10 years and not know what the types are?

What a joker.

You do realize that this is supposed to be from the perspective of you playing the game right? When you played your first Pokemon game did you have any idea what types were and how they applied to battling, let alone how to properly use non-damaging moves? I seriously doubt it.
"Hey! I'm totally an adult! I bitch and whine, lie through my teeth, and do things that are unfair."
Oct 4, 2013 3:26 PM

Jan 2012
That was a cool first episode, REAAALLY digged it maaaan. The nostalgia of the soundtracks and it just seemed like when i used to play this game way back (unlike the TV version, which i liked, seemed to ehhh compared to this).
Kinda sad they're gonna have to rush through some things here and there, like i don't think team roket'll be in here, or play a major part like they did in the video game.
Oct 4, 2013 3:43 PM

Jun 2010
lolled so hard when red tried to catch someone else's Nidoran
Oct 4, 2013 5:38 PM

Mar 2013
CamoBullo said:
Pidgey should not know Gust that early. IT'S TAINTED.

I know it was a joke, but actually Pidgey knows Gust from the start in the original Red/Green/Blue games.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pidgey_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29/Generation_I_learnset#By_leveling_up

Damn that was great. Was really squeacking like a Fangirl at a Justin Bieber Concert during the episode! Nostalgic and reminded me of my first time triying to beat Brock with a Charmander, Pidgey and Pikachu lol

Would love to see a full adaption of the games. Probably not happening though...
dacawizardsOct 4, 2013 5:58 PM
Oct 4, 2013 7:11 PM
Aug 2012
Wow they could have made Green seem less of a douchebag. In the game he simply picked the stronger type pokemon as the game is scripted. In this anime he picked it PURELY because its type advantage.

Overall very impressed. Though I'm still not happy with Red's character design, it fits in well with the character portrayed in this anime. Can't really call this the same Red ad the one in the game.

And to all those laughing at Red for trying to catch the trainers Pokemon, WHO HASN'T TRIED THAT IN THEIR FIRST PLAY!!
Oct 4, 2013 7:17 PM

Apr 2011
Keetriver said:

And to all those laughing at Red for trying to catch the trainers Pokemon, WHO HASN'T TRIED THAT IN THEIR FIRST PLAY!!

inb4 someone used their masterball on an elite 4 pkmn
Oct 4, 2013 9:57 PM

Oct 2012
Oh the nostalgia~ I haven't watched Pokemon in ages but this was a nice little trip back to the past of my once favorite anime ^_^

Oct 4, 2013 11:13 PM

Dec 2011
Nice episode...it does feels like playing the game and Red is immature but i'm sure he will grow up by the end.But how will they made it till pokemon league in just 4 episodes and lol at Naruto voice actress
Oct 5, 2013 12:02 AM

Jan 2011
Valaskjalf said:
Keetriver said:

inb4 someone used their masterball on an elite 4 pkmn

N-not like I did that or anything....
Oct 5, 2013 2:27 AM

Dec 2012
Pretty good!

Oct 5, 2013 2:31 AM

Aug 2008
Ugh, to be honest i prefer that silent Red from the game. This one isn't very smart...
Oct 5, 2013 3:32 AM

Feb 2012
Oct 5, 2013 4:28 AM
Feb 2013
That was rushed. But it was damn good. Need more. All that nostalgia
Oct 5, 2013 7:43 AM

Oct 2012
I came. Amazing.
Oct 5, 2013 3:19 PM

Nov 2011
Well this bought me back some nostalgia...
I'm not too used to the artwork yet though but that's just me.

I like the OST though, kinda gave me that Pokemon like tune.

I knew right away it was Junko Takeuchi who voiced Red though.
Oct 5, 2013 3:20 PM

Jul 2012
This was so nostalgic haha. The animation was pretty nice also.
Oct 5, 2013 4:23 PM
Apr 2008
Heh, this is great! :D
Oct 5, 2013 5:25 PM

Jul 2010
Loved it. It was so true to the games, music and all. It was a bit fast paced, but hey; what do you expect from a 4 episode special?

Vovin said:
Ugh, to be honest i prefer that silent Red from the game. This one isn't very smart...
Don't you worry. He'll grow. Real damn fast at that. ;)
OnyxthegreatOct 5, 2013 5:28 PM

Oct 5, 2013 5:35 PM

Sep 2011
I know only the first PKMN seasons to compare this with but as it is now this special seems pretty cool. Especially the fights. Fast paced, no useless talking, great.
It would certainly be better as a ~10 episode show, half an episode for each gym and the other half for random stuff. =/
Oct 5, 2013 8:45 PM

Mar 2012
Scumbag rival picks last to counter type lol

"Have you ever encounter a wild beast that guarantees to never bite anyone?" ~ Roronoa Zoro
Oct 5, 2013 11:56 PM
Dec 2010
PC93anime said:
mvetS said:
How does guy live in a world of pokemon for 10 years and not know what the types are?

What a joker.

You do realize that this is supposed to be from the perspective of you playing the game right? When you played your first Pokemon game did you have any idea what types were and how they applied to battling, let alone how to properly use non-damaging moves? I seriously doubt it.

Pokemon don't exist in our world so I'm not sure what you're trying to say. If they did, I'm sure that at some point in my 10 year life, I would've noticed that charmander's a fire type especially since the main character seems to be obsessed with watching battles on TV. It sure took me less than 10 years to figure out when I played the games when I was younger.
mvetSOct 6, 2013 12:00 AM
Oct 6, 2013 2:41 AM

Jan 2013
Hax, that Scratch shouldn't have been able to defeat Onix.
Oct 6, 2013 6:09 AM

Apr 2010
Looks like Naruto started his pokémon adventure eh ? xD
YT: Gaming (gw2,...), cons and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vercammen312
Monster girls club card: http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=27137
See profile for exemples.
Oct 6, 2013 1:14 PM

Apr 2013
SD_CV said:
Looks like Naruto started his pokémon adventure eh ? xD

i will become the greatest pokemon trainer BELIEVE IT!

anyway. i liked it sure it is rushed but we knew it would be considering it is just a special.

it felt like the pokemon series i always wanted. nostalgia overload, from trying to catch the opponent's pokemon to ignoring the pokemon types and ofc catching every single pokemon that crosses your way.

miles better than the regular pokemon series
Oct 6, 2013 3:52 PM

Apr 2008
Wow they could have made Green seem less of a douchebag. In the game he simply picked the stronger type pokemon as the game is scripted. In this anime he picked it PURELY because its type advantage.

In the game, he did pick the pokemon that had the type advantage. They just excel in different stats such as attack or defense, but the primary thing to look at is that water beats fire. if Red took Squirtle, Green would've took Bulbasaur.

Anyways, I LIKED IT! Like everyone said, it was nostalgia from the music to some of the dialogue (ie: Oikido's soloquy, Green's "See ya gramps", "The poke center is the building with the red roof").

Green: "You sure are a slowpoke".

Whacha talkin' about Willis, THIS IS FAST! Red got himself a full hand in like five seconds. I liked his learning curve; hahaha when he tried to take the Nidoran. I can't remember if I did that. PKMN Red was looooooooooong ago. Maybe I did, because I remember that message "You can't steal a trainer's, dude!"

More on the learning curve and what else is great about it: How Red didn't understand how str/weak worked. I think the anime was airing in U.S when Red/Blue was released, so I think we already had an idea on how the fight system worked when we played ^^; But it was good to see.

Red vs Green = Good! Violent, fluid animation.

Brock/Takeshi seems to play the role of the old man from Viridian.

Onix/Iwark kicking the butt of Red's team' was great, then I got disappointing when he lost...to friggin SCRATCH! I had to plead to Ember to beat that thing! I thought...I thought Metapod had more defense. That poor thing.

mmm...what else what else?

I'll give it a 7/10. I'd like some more.
Oct 6, 2013 3:56 PM

Aug 2013
I just like how they made it like a game, having Prof Oak speak in the intro like the game and the whole save thing at the end made me tingle with excitement, hehe.
Also, for a person who's supposed to be your rival and friend, Green was a little harsh when he said he should give up and quit. Other than that this was nostalgia overload x1000 I wish THIS was the pokemon series, I've grown tired of Ash and I want Red as the main character x pouts x
Oct 7, 2013 1:16 PM
Oct 2011
Nostalgia uses Strike..
It's too fucking effective!
Oct 7, 2013 4:22 PM
Dec 2012
I can't begin to tell how much nostalgia this is giving me right now. I love it.
Can't wait to watch the other episodes! Glad that all of them are out.
I only wish this could be a full series.
Oct 7, 2013 4:44 PM

Jan 2012
Hard to keep up with hearing the pokemon's name.
Oct 8, 2013 1:37 AM

Jan 2010
Keetriver said:
Wow they could have made Green seem less of a douchebag.

But he is! http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/5985/iser.png

sarroush said:
I didn't like how Red was throwing his Pokemon left and right. That's probably because I'm too used to Ash going "OH NO! MY POKEMON GOT HIT! I HAVE TO BE SADDENED AND CARE FOR IT!"
I DIDNT LIKE HOW CHARMANDER ALMOST DIED! ;_____;

I believe they make Red ruthless because of the "Epic" and somewhat "Dark" status he earned in fan community (for example: http://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=630887
http://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=667841
http://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=638536
just look at the comments!); or maybe they know that many players not caring much about their Pokemon, just about victories and story progression and they wanted to reflect that somehow.

Anyway here is IRL Squirtle using BITE (on Persian, I presume): http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/aG9RBdG_460sa.gif

The new fights style (fast, fierce, owner becomes agitated together with his pet) seems to be more closer to IRL cockfighting. In another thread someone already suggested it may cause some complaint from organization like PETA, but I beleive it is safe as long as they don't show blood (and they don't).

Summary: It turns better than expected for me. So many titles nowadays are pure trash; just regretting that Pokemon Games (along with GameBoy and GameBoy Color consoles) do not published in my country (nor officialy nor by pirates) until recently; wish I has the same nostalgia feeling as you when hearing that battle music straight from game (start playing FireRed on my smartphone like, month ago).
Oct 8, 2013 2:44 AM

Jan 2013
^There's nothing "badass", "epic" or anything similar about the Red in the games, he doesn't really have a personality to begin with. You can also easily beat him with a team 10+ levels lower than his without using any potions or other items. Based only on this first episode I prefer Satoshi to this Red by far. Winning against Takeshi 6v2 with throwing around your Pokémon like tools, and than taking out Onix with a hax Slash. Nice job. PokéSpe Red is still the best though.
Oct 8, 2013 3:01 AM
Oct 2011
Aclos said:
^There's nothing "badass", "epic" or anything similar about the Red in the games, he doesn't really have a personality to begin with. You can also easily beat him with a team 10+ levels lower than his without using any potions or other items. Based only on this first episode I prefer Satoshi to this Red by far. Winning against Takeshi 6v2 with throwing around your Pokémon like tools, and than taking out Onix with a hax Slash. Nice job. PokéSpe Red is still the best though.
I always used to defeat Onix with a slash..
Oct 8, 2013 3:02 AM

Jan 2010
Aclos said:
Based only on this first episode I prefer Satoshi to this Red by far. Winning against Takeshi 6v2 with throwing around your Pokémon like tools, and than taking out Onix with a hax Slash. Nice job.

Let's see (from Bulbapedia):

Brock comments on how weak Pikachu and Ash were, and Ash retorts by commanding Pikachu's attack, which easily knocks Geodude down. Both Brock and Misty are stunned, staring open-mouthed. Brock recalls his Geodude and sends out Onix, and a fearful Pikachu tries to do another Electric attack, damaging the Gym itself instead. Onix wraps Pikachu with Bind, but Pikachu makes a comeback with his new attack, Thunderbolt, which manages to hurt Onix but still isn't enough to take it out. Just as Pikachu is about to pass out, Brock suddenly spares it by calling Onix off. He tells Ash to forfeit again, not wanting to cause further damage to Pikachu. Ash protests, wanting to fight the match to the end.

and further:

Suddenly, the Gym's sprinklers are set off by a fire caused by Pikachu's earlier Electric attack. Water sprays all over Onix, weakening him and allowing Pikachu to fight back with another Electric attack.

Totally not hax.
Oct 8, 2013 3:14 AM

Jan 2013
^After watching ~600 episodes of the anime I'm perfectly aware that not just Satoshi, but everyone else is using hax all the time there. But that anime never tried to follow the rules of the games closely, while this one clearly does try. I was mostly referring to their fighting stlye and their general attitude towards their Pokémon when I said that I prefer him.
Oct 8, 2013 5:53 AM

May 2013
So Red's dream was to complete the pokedex. I have played pokemon wrongly all this time. Also, watching him trying to catch other trainer's pokemon was funny. I'm sure everyone have ever tried that.
Oct 8, 2013 7:51 AM

Sep 2008
Better than the original anime. But the events pass by too quickly.
Oct 8, 2013 2:22 PM
Oct 8, 2013 5:13 PM

Aug 2007
I really enjoyed this first episode. Its totally different from original pokémon anime. I really like that the battles are more like in the games, and that's why I enjoyed this. So, to see the rest.
Oct 9, 2013 11:25 AM

May 2013
Freakin' nostalgic. Especially because of the BGM and the lines taken from the game.
Also the scenes from the game! Like Professor Oak's/Okido's introduction with Eevee and Nidorino vs Gengar.

Damn, they included health bars, stat, TMs, and other stuff.

Green is still how I remember him. Red is a little naive, but I bet he'll change.
Lol at Red capturing another trainer's Nidoran.

Red picks Charmander/Hitokage and Green picks Squirtle/Zenigame.
Poor Bulbasaur/Fushigidane. No one picks him. (T_T)
But dat fight! Dat scream of pain by Charmander.

I also like the gym battle between Brock/Takeshi and Red.
Even though Red used all six of his Pokemon, I find it awesome.
So far, Red has Charmander, Rattata, Spearow, Metapod, Pidgey, and Nidoran.
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Oct 9, 2013 1:27 PM
Aug 2007
Owwww yehhh, Sugita Brock. Perfect choice.
Oct 11, 2013 7:28 AM

May 2012
Quite awesome first episode, really gives you a good feel for those who played pokemon and just want something different than the regular pokemon series with Ash :p

Lets see what the other episodes have to offer!
Oct 18, 2013 7:58 AM

Sep 2010
The battle with Brock sure was nostalgic cause I almost had the same party of pokemon on my very first playthrough as a kid except I had Pidgey instead of Sparrow and I didn't have a Nido.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Oct 26, 2013 12:27 PM
Jul 2018
Red is already a better trainer than Ash because he learns from his mistakes. I'm excited to watch more!
Oct 28, 2013 12:45 AM

Apr 2010
It must be horrible to be a gym leader in Pokemon.

You'd get used to failing after awhile but it must suck being 'employed' to lose fights and give away badges.

Dat squirtle bite made me cringe for charmander.
Nov 8, 2013 6:22 AM

Sep 2011
Vandesdelca said:
Dat squirtle bite made me cringe for charmander.

Yeah dat sure was different.
Nov 9, 2013 7:49 PM
Oct 2013
I almost died because of nostalgia feels while watching this. I literally cried during Oak's introduction, plus them bg music/OSTs TTwTT
Nov 10, 2013 3:07 PM

Aug 2013
Finally got around to watching this! This totally didn't feel like Naruto at all...

"Kuso, kuso, kuso!"

>.>
Nov 15, 2013 9:20 PM

Jul 2013
Pretty amazing episode, Watching it makes me have those nostalgia feels when I first played the game, even those original ost's are noticeable. Well I noticed that there are rushing scenes, but nevertheless it was entertaining.

That Charmander bite scene was pretty graphic, pretty felt bad for him. Also he already beat Brock in just one episode, can't wait to see Red does in the next 3 episodes.

Nov 18, 2013 4:26 PM

Jun 2012
I cringed because I did exactly all the mistakes Red did as a kid...
(>'_')>#
~Here's a waffle, please calm down...

"See that? She's cute and popular. You could say that her milkshakes bring all the boys to the yard. But YOU club President... your milkshakes are wasted on you. In other words, you're wasteful." ~D-Frag (Best.Reference.Ever.)
Nov 28, 2013 1:24 PM

May 2013
Nostlgia much?
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pokemon: The Origin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yuzukko - Oct 2, 2013

176 by PrOxAnto »»
Dec 28, 2023 11:32 AM

Poll: » Pokemon: The Origin Episode 3 Discussion

Jialyn - Oct 2, 2013

49 by Nerdason »»
Nov 1, 2023 5:42 PM

Poll: » Pokemon: The Origin Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

belatkuro - Oct 2, 2013

102 by Nerdason »»
Oct 31, 2023 4:07 PM

» End Theme

jawsome274 - Apr 18, 2020

0 by jawsome274 »»
Apr 18, 2020 6:13 PM

» So.... Who's feeling sad about Bulbasaur?

ZeraX - Nov 3, 2016

11 by ZeraX »»
Jan 23, 2017 8:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.