Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (19) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Jul 12, 2013 2:54 PM
Jul 2012
Rating by enjoyment =/= giving it a 10 if time passes fast throughout the series

There are reasons why you enjoy something

Those vary, that's why I think rating with a score for precise criteria in mind isn't really accurate. For exemple, I wouldn't remove points for Katanagatari in the animation department because it did had moments where they definitely lacked budget, but despite the lack of money, the techniques they used were still creative and very fitting

Basically for me

10. Impressive from beginning to finish, strong impact on me, nothing particularly annoyed me

9. Close to that but had some kind of minor drawback(s)

8. About the same tier as 9-10 but with more serious flaws(ex. yuyu hakusho was great but wasn't 9 because it did feel repetitive at times, draws you out of the experience)

7. Pretty solid, usually not super amazing but at least suceeds in what it wants to do

6. Above average, somewhat worth watching but has some serious flaws that doesn't make it's point come through

5. average, either nothing particularly good or bad, or good things get evened out by bad things

4. below average, bad, usually series that try to follow a trend of good series but end up just being very pale in comparison

3. VERY bad, not shit tier but pretty much the shittiest you can find in whatever genre. ex, fairy tail is a disgrace to shounen, while usually with shounen they can actually suceed to be good rather effortlessly but fairy tail... ugh

2. horrible, series that are garbage except for some little things that make it not absolute garbage

1. absolute garbage, series that end up being totally pointless, usually have anti-messages(elfen lied being random negative shock factor crap that didn't even portrayed the dark side of humanity properly due to the show being the most unconvincing piece of shit. The ending was actually good since it had symbolism to convey it's message but when the rest of the series is absolute shit, the message just doesn't carry through. sao has another horrible message, basically mmos>real world, get laid in mmos, really?)
Jul 12, 2013 2:59 PM

Mar 2013
25% characters, 25% storyline, 20% enjoyment, 20% music/sound, 10% animation/art

Although there are some anime that make me throw my current logic out the window and burn it with fire
Jul 12, 2013 3:03 PM

Jul 2008
OnePieceQ8 said:
Shoryuuken said:
Enjoyment.

Pretty much this. If a series made me experience anything that's a plus. The more I enjoyed sitting there watching, the higher the score.
Jul 12, 2013 3:03 PM

Mar 2013
I'd say mainly on the Character development, character looks (I don't really enjoy an anime with shaggy characters), Animation, Graphics, and most importantly, Plot.

That's a lot to ask for, but some anime are good like that :D
Happy Halloween
Jul 12, 2013 3:20 PM

Mar 2011
By using the entire 1-10 scale for one thing.

I do it by weighing up how well it did certain things. Oh of course in the end it's all down to how much I enjoyed it, it's just that I can explain why I enjoyed it. If I say I thought the plot was poorly written, that means that it negatively impacted my viewing.

If I'm ever in doubt, I use comparison.
Jul 14, 2013 4:21 AM

Jul 2013
-How much I enjoy it
-How much I anticipate the next episode
-How immersed I get in it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 14, 2013 4:55 AM

Apr 2013
Enjoyment

If it gave what I am looking for (comedy, drama, etc.)

Sometimes a kickass soundtrack

and Replayability

Jul 14, 2013 6:00 AM

Mar 2013
Pure enjoyment
Jul 14, 2013 6:10 AM

Mar 2012
Spirituell said:
Pure enjoyment

This, 100% enjoyment
Jul 14, 2013 12:27 PM

May 2013
When it's a comedy or something like that it's pretty much all based on enjoyment and whatever feels right.

However, when it's a darker or more serious anime with focus on a good story and good characters,
I usually think it through and rate that anime based on how good the story actually was,
how good the characters were and how much they developed throughout the anime(if intended),
and finally how well the art and sound set the mood for different scenes.
Jul 14, 2013 2:11 PM

Jul 2007
Khalan3 said:
Spirituell said:
Pure enjoyment

This, 100% enjoyment

^ this again.
Jul 14, 2013 2:16 PM

Apr 2011
I tend to really only use 6-9(I have yet to rate anything a 10, but I think some probably deserve it). Thing is, I don't use the whole 1-10 because anything below a 5(average) I'm not going to watch. I also think 5 should be mediocre rather then average, and 6 should be average.

I would probably rate the shows I've dropped using the 1-5 ratings, but I don't list all the shows I've dropped cause I just don't really think its worth it. I've seen 1-6 episodes of about the same if not more anime I've completed.
Jul 14, 2013 2:21 PM

Sep 2011
I rate on enjoyment.

6 being the lowest level of enjoyment, and 10 being the highest (obviously).

That being said, this is how I rate my anime:
10 - This anime was a Masterpiece
9 - This anime was Amazing
8 - This anime was Very Good
7 - This anime was Good
6 - This anime was Enjoyable
5 - This anime was Alright
4 - This anime was Bad
3 - This anime was Very Bad
2 - This anime was Horrible
1 - doesn't exist because I would just drop it if it was this low
Jul 14, 2013 2:45 PM

Jul 2013
story
enjoyment
character development
Jul 14, 2013 7:09 PM

Aug 2012
Neane1993 said:
Enjoyment.
Jul 14, 2013 7:54 PM

Jan 2013
Mostly on enjoyment and for series I didn't particurlarly care about I just give it a 7 or something.
Please understand.
Jul 14, 2013 9:50 PM

Jul 2013
I also base rating mostly on enjoyment. If I don't like the art then I usually have a hard time starting it in the first place. Characters, story, and soundtrack all fall under enjoyment for me, because those things affect how much I enjoy a series.
Jul 14, 2013 10:03 PM

Aug 2012
First, Enjoyment (by a long shot)
Second, Characters
Third, Plot
Fourth, Presence of my "Ten Common Problems"
Fifth, Everything else
Jul 15, 2013 7:36 AM

Jul 2013
As like most people, enjoyment of the show/series primarily dictates my ratings. There are other underlying factors but the main decider on how high the mark is, is how much I enjoyed watching it.
These things happen and there's nothing you can do about it. They aren't necessarily planned and they aren't always bad, and they aren't always good, but they are. - Emi, Katawa Shoujo
Jul 15, 2013 8:06 AM

Nov 2011
By how much I like them compared to other anime.

10 - Top 2%~
9 - Top 7,5%~
8 - Top 15%~
7 - Top 30%~
6 - Top 45%~

I don't really have a set system for the other numbers. Although 1, 2 and 3 tend be be 'dislike'.
If I dropped a series at episode 1, it gets a 1 most of time.

rederoinJul 15, 2013 8:12 AM

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Jul 28, 2013 2:26 PM

May 2013
One thing I'm curious about. There are many objectively good anime out there, like Deathnote off the top of my head, which for whatever reason I never managed to like. It wasn't bad by any measure, it was well made, but still didn't appeal to me and I never actually finished it or even got far in it. Do I give it a mediocre/bad rating due to not liking it(subjective), or go with the- "It's good I just don't like it, 8/10"?
Converesly, many silly/not so well-made anime/manga I have simply fallen in love with. Not being oblivious to their flaws(inexistant story/shitty character development/bad plot),recognizing them and simply not caring about them. I've had this happen to me with both silly animes with pretty much nothing going on, where I'm just crying of laughter in the sheer absurdness of them, or other times I just happen to ... well just like them.
Don't get me wrong, I love well made animes that could be considered as works of art as a whole(ost,story,character development,art etc.) - FMA Brotherhood and Baccano come to mind. However, in terms of sheer enjoyment, I enjoyed these as much as I enjoyed SAO as far as I can tell.
I see I have written a wall of text, so the best I can do in summarizing is this:
TL,DR: Do you rate manga/anime based on the amount & quality of work invested in on them, or do you rate based on the level of personal enjoyment you experience when watching them?
Jul 28, 2013 2:30 PM

Mar 2013
Objectivity does not exist.

If I like it, I give a good mark, end of story.
Jul 28, 2013 2:34 PM

May 2013
@Chakaara, I partially agree, however I do think that at least some level of objectivity does exist. What does not always exist, however, (imo) is a link between something being well-done and it being enjoyable.
For example,Monet may have been a genius as an artist, that doesn't mean that I actually enjoy his paintings.
Jul 28, 2013 2:35 PM

Apr 2013
Plot
Characters
Writing
OST
Animation/Art
Enjoyment
Jul 28, 2013 2:36 PM

Apr 2013
On what am I eating atm, because what else
Jul 28, 2013 2:41 PM

Mar 2013
Enjoyment and opinion.
Jul 28, 2013 2:44 PM

May 2013
My reviews are pure subjective opinion only, based on pure enjoyment only. I don't rate all the little parts separately like animation, sound, story etc like Holden and Tristan do, as that is just silly. The way they do it, some of their favorites may get lower scores than something they thought was objectively good that they hated.

My reviews let you know exactly what my favorites are, and I guess if there was anything objective in them, I'd say what I considered flaws make take them down a peg or 2, but it doesn't change too much.
Jul 28, 2013 2:51 PM

May 2013
Dark_Chaos is the one up till now I find I identify the most. Many of the flaws most seasoned anime-watchers will point out in for example SAO are not something an average watcher would notice and be bothered by, unless he was deliberately nitpicking. I wasn't under the impression that the show was godlike or anything, it was just something I was always eagerly awaiting every Saturday night/Sunday morning while it aired, and consistently enjoyed.
Jul 28, 2013 7:12 PM

Jun 2013
I rate based on how much I enjoy it. I don't really see the point in rating something an 8 or 9 if I found the series boring or it didn't engage me (regardless of the quality.)
Jul 28, 2013 7:25 PM

May 2013
How much I enjoy it and that alone. I get so many people ask me why I gave SAO a 10. It's pretty darn simple. Why do other people rate 10s?
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Jul 28, 2013 7:28 PM

Jul 2013
Objectivity, yes, but it's a lot of impulse too.
Jul 28, 2013 7:33 PM

Jun 2012
pure enjoyment
ORIGINAL SIGNATURE
Jul 28, 2013 7:43 PM

Apr 2013
length of anime^2(feels^4/filler)
Jul 28, 2013 7:46 PM

Sep 2012
Sourire said:
Enjoyment

Sakana-san said:
Enjoyment and opinion.

Dark_Chaos said:
My reviews are pure subjective opinion only, based on pure enjoyment only.

Auxoran said:
Enjoyment
Jul 28, 2013 7:49 PM
Jul 2018
Enjoyment, pretty much if someone was to ask me, "On a scale from 1-10, what would you give (insert anime title here)?" And my rating would be the answer
Jul 28, 2013 7:50 PM

Jul 2011
I'm a pretty critical person. If I enjoy something very much, but find animation or sound quality lackluster, I'm not giving it a perfect score. But on the other hand, if the animation and everything else is perfect, but I find myself bored throughout most of the entire show, it will definitely a pretty low score. Nothing is worse than being bored when I'm watching a show
Jul 28, 2013 8:06 PM

Nov 2008
Story (if it has one, slightly affects the rating or has no effect on it at all unless it's piss poor, even a generic story is acceptable)

Characters (the most important thing, bad characters usually equates to a bad rating or resulting in anime being dropped, it also affects my buying habits as my backbone of supporting the industry pretty much depends on likable and good characters and there are few anime that are salvageable with bad characters)

Sound (Both Voice acting and soundtrack factors in this rating, usually doesn't lower the rating much unless the voice acting is really bad but average music means I won't be buying music CDs save for character CDs if I get attached to the characters)

Enjoyment (always important, this can break an anime fast, but usually I drop an anime that bores me before I even rate it, but I do finish a boring anime every few seasons)

Jul 29, 2013 7:47 AM

May 2013
Enjoyment.
Forever lost.
Jul 29, 2013 7:55 AM

Mar 2011
There are many objectively good anime out there, like Deathnote off the top of my head.

lol.

In the end I do rate based off how much I enjoyed something, however as I have said before how much I enjoyed a show is rather dependent on how good the plot, characters, animation, sound and development was etc.
Jul 29, 2013 7:56 AM
Jul 2018
BladeDancer said:
Enjoyment.

Only thing I really care about are the characters, don't really care about plot in anime.
Jul 29, 2013 8:24 AM

May 2009
Plot, does it even make sense? I hate overcomplicated plots with a bunch of plotholes. I'd rather watch a simple plot, without any plot errors.

Character dept, development and their interactions with the supporting cast

The supporting cast, what influences do they give to the main cast?

Ost, does it fit with certain circumstances?

Animation, artstyle, I really hate bland anime.

Probably much more I did not mention.
Jul 29, 2013 8:26 AM
Jul 2013
enjoyment, characters, plot, and ending
Jul 29, 2013 2:15 PM

Feb 2013
At first I rate the series I seen in what kind of genre it is, after that my personal enjoyment to the show.

Then the story and the impact if had on me as a person. ( Happy or sad, no difference, depends on the genre.)

Of course the sound are a important thing for me, love great background music <3

Ps : + Points if the art are similiar to Clannad/Air/Kanon <3 Love them big eyes ((:
Jul 30, 2013 3:25 AM

Apr 2013
70% Enjoyment (Did it accomplish making me laugh or cry or sad. Plot and animation are included here as well)

20% Characters (Did I like the characters? Are they worthy of a spot in my profile?)

10% A rocking OST. It's a big bonus if one of the theme music used is really good that it makes me put it on my iPhone in seconds.

Jul 30, 2013 3:31 AM

Apr 2013
Enjoyment and sometimes plot.
Jul 30, 2013 4:29 AM

Feb 2011
Plot - It's important, that all its parts are connected one with other and you can see "evolution" of this plot.
Animation - Lack of details, badly and poor drawing all this together and anime isn't worth watching, even with good plot. There has to be a lot of colors, everything is bright (dark is also not bad, if it is necessary) a lot of details.
Final - Really important, mainly the end of the series made their final score.
OST's - Music is atmosphere and have to give a viewer complete understanding of the moment. Great OP and/or ED don't usually influence the rate.
Something like that ^_^
Jul 30, 2013 4:31 AM

Aug 2012
With my heart, my gut, and sometimes with my colon, depending on how much discomfort I get while watching said anime.
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
Jul 30, 2013 7:41 AM

Oct 2012
-- Art, -- Plot, -- Development, -- Characters, -- Personality ( main mostly), -- Special Effects (if the genre fits), -- Can it keep me interested and -- Overall enjoyment.
Jul 31, 2013 11:34 AM

Jul 2013
-Character
-Plot
-Voice acting
-Enjoyment
Pages (19) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » AI is now capable to create animation

DrkSeid69 - 6 hours ago

16 by FanofAction »»
11 minutes ago

» Why aren't there more political / historical anime?

mahrjose - Yesterday

14 by Slimsith »»
22 minutes ago

» Would anime be better if they started to use more adult casts? ( 1 2 )

Thy-Veseveia - Jun 5

63 by Slimsith »»
23 minutes ago

» Watching the same anime over and over again

otaku2000anime - Yesterday

19 by Vampire_Lord »»
24 minutes ago

» What's one anime or character in your favorites you wish had Ecchi or Hentai scenes for officially?

IpreferEcchi - Jun 6

21 by Slimsith »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.