Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (21) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »
Apr 14, 2013 4:15 PM
Jul 2012
AironicallyHuman said:
400+ posts = will read at my leisure from my bed, with the aid of my PS3. Gonna just shove my 2cents in and reply if I see anyone go direct with me:

Starting to feel a lil' negative about the adaptation, after ep2. It was necessary for there to be a compromise in terms of the brutality of the violence, this being aired on TV 'n all, but I HATE how the 'camera' shies away from the death/slaughter shots. The anime team went to the trouble of adding in some good ol' fashioned nameless character murdering... then pulled away at the last. EVERY TIME. That's like (how I imagine) it feels for a woman during sex when she's on the verge of an orgasm and the guy pulls out. FRUSTRATING!

And, as you'd expect of a guy that fell in love with the manga after a crazy-intense, almost non-stop action 3-volume intro, to see it take an entire episode for the anime to NOT timeskip to the point where the characters' rankings get revealed was just... UGHHH. The best part of the ep was undoubtedly the titan shoulder charge, but in the manga I felt that part was that much more effective since it emphasised the shock of everyone as you're pretty much just shown the aftermath shoulder charge pose. Where as the manga made a point of keeping readers on edge until it was cemented that they'd NEVER stop reading, the anime is clearly stalling for time... ALREADY.

But what REALLY got to me was the episode preview. Now, while I'm well aware an adaptation doesn't have to be C&P and there's no risk of an early cancellation without non-stop action/death like in the case of the manga's earlier days, to jump right to v4's downtime flashback segment before the the series has truly convinced people is a mistake. That pulse-pounding, page-flipping from the manga has been interrupted with character-fleshing & next-arc (in the manga) foreshadowing that was relevant to what came next as it gave people a well-needed breather. I just can't agree with, on top of the pace being slowed down to divide the chapters more evenly (a necessary evil), the volumes being re-ordered to make the pace even slower.

Maybe all of this isn't so bothersome for newbs but I'm feeling more like resuming the manga rather than watching it in motion & with colour. And that ain't so good. Ep1 kept the feel of the manga; ep2 included pointless chatter scenes between leaders/worthless wall guards, as well as a lengthy scene I'm semi-certain was anime only in the form of Mikasa punching Eren... which, either way, was ok but only reiterated what people already know; also making Eren to appear more of a brat by doing so.

Will see how it goes - and I'm probably being a tad unfair - but unless ep3 impresses, 8>7/10 time.

As far as the gore (or lack thereof), yeah, I definitely hope they step it up, especially when we start seeing the 104 squad and co in combat. I mean, other than the titan that ate Eren's mom, they don't seem nearly as disturbing as in the manga. Censoring the gore to an extent is understandable, but I figure I should feel more horrified watching the anime than I was reading the manga. We'll see.

As far as the fact that they're going in chronological order .. I've seen positive and negative reactions to this, usually the negative is for the reasons you listed: the manga was fast-paced and non-stop action, and the training arc flashback was a breather in the midst of all the craziness.

Personally, I read the manga all in one sitting and I was pretty confused at first. All the dying and flashbacks and battles were chaotic (awesome, of course, but chaotic). Like I had no clue who the armored titan was when they started talking about it later on, which is why I'm glad they made it really clear in the anime. IMO, I feel like going in chronological order is just "safer" for the anime to avoid any confusion or anti-climaxes from cutting an intense fight with a lengthy flashback.

Yeah, a lot of ep 2 was original content. Personally I didn't mind it. I felt like it fleshed out the world a little more - the utter despair and harsh reality of the situation (Hannes admitting that he was scared, soldiers wanting to close the gates on their comrades, people trying to jump onto the boats that were leaving them etc). The chatter with the guards established how incompetent and ignorant the current soldiers were - they've been physically and mentally shielded inside the walls, unaware of the brutality the titans are capable of.

Basically, it feels as if the changes seem to be for the sake of newbies; they're trying to avoid confusion and start out slow. I'm super impatient and I cannot frickin wait for the action to start (3DMG fights!!!), but I understand the direction they're taking. The only thing that worries me is the fact that Eren has his flashback already.. which IIRC, he wasn't supposed to have yet?
Apr 14, 2013 4:16 PM

Mar 2012
Damn it there's so many MC with Kaji Yuki as VA, I had enough because he's so noisy lol.. Seeing this eps again reminding me of how corrupted humans' morale is, kinda sad =/
Keep moving forward
Apr 14, 2013 4:16 PM

Mar 2008
nnangle said:
Maelis said:
One more important thing is that they REMOVED mikasa's scarf, that part is freaking important, she should keep her scarf on most of the time. If it's gone this will lose meaning in the later part!
+1

Hoping they don't skip on important parts of their past.. but they seem to be taking it slow enough to cover everything in detail.

OMG! True!

SECOND PLOT HOLE!
Apr 14, 2013 4:18 PM

Jun 2010
PaninaManina said:
nnangle said:
Maelis said:
One more important thing is that they REMOVED mikasa's scarf, that part is freaking important, she should keep her scarf on most of the time. If it's gone this will lose meaning in the later part!
+1

Hoping they don't skip on important parts of their past.. but they seem to be taking it slow enough to cover everything in detail.

OMG! True!

SECOND PLOT HOLE!

Holy crap. Didn't notice that she wasn't wearing any scarf even in the preview.

/facepalm

Btw Hiroshi for Rivaille and OnoD for Irvin? Aweeesoome.
Apr 14, 2013 4:23 PM
Jul 2018
-MgZ_ said:

/facepalm

Actually she did remove her scarf while she was inhouse eating. But the scene where they were listening to the captain, she didn't have her scarf on, and that is one thing that the producer CANT NOT MISS! (according to what I remembered, she put her scarf on everytime she is outside)
Apr 14, 2013 4:26 PM

Mar 2012
Ehhh I'm not as hyped as I was in the first episode. Still good.. but this one seemed a little lackluster (or maybe they just over dramatized things that we don't really care about as of now). Hoping that ep. 3 will pick things back up again.
Apr 14, 2013 4:27 PM

Jul 2008
OfficialGuts said:
Nickienator said:
Well, that was every bit as unimpressive as the first episode.
why are you watching it in the first place? looking at your animelist its pretty much obvious you're not into that genre of anime..

Action, Drama, Fantasy, Super Power? I don't think I have anything against any of those. Not that I'm aware of myself, at least. And I can't think of any other fitting genres. It's definitely not dark enough to be a horror, maybe I'd have liked if it was (although it's not my favorite genre in anime, it is my favorite genre in general).
And I watch it because I did really like the idea when I read about it in a local anime magazine when the manga first started publishing in Japan. Never picked it up, so now I picked up the adaption. But unfortunately it offers nothing good or interesting at all besides the basic idea until now. I still have some hope for it left though.

Apr 14, 2013 4:27 PM

Mar 2011
Nickienator said:
And are we supposed to care?
Apr 14, 2013 4:29 PM
Aug 2012
-MgZ_ said:
OMG! True!

SECOND PLOT HOLE!
Had a look at the manga, she indeed doesn't have it during the briefing [or whatever it was] and only puts it on after dragging Eren away from the fight and taking him outside [which is when she smells it <-- fanservice]. They better not skip on that.

On a side note, bread scene = hilarious.
Apr 14, 2013 4:30 PM

Jun 2009
I hate to fanboy but....holy fuck was this episode fantastic. Shit. Yeah, I'm totally engaged in this.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 14, 2013 4:30 PM

Jul 2008
Edefrem said:
Nickienator said:
And are we supposed to care?

Just as little as you should care about every positive comment, I'd guess. So not too much, I hope.

Apr 14, 2013 4:31 PM

Jun 2010
Maelis said:
-MgZ_ said:

/facepalm

Actually she did remove her scarf while she was inhouse eating. But the scene where they were listening to the captain, she didn't have her scarf on, and that is one thing that the producer CANT NOT MISS! (according to what I remembered, she put her scarf on everytime she is outside)

Just checked chapter 3. You're right. Seems like she is gonna put her scarf later on. From what chapter is the scene where she was listening to the captain? Cuz its not the one from chapter two... I remember it being a flashback but I can't remember what chapter is it...
Apr 14, 2013 4:34 PM

Jan 2012
I'm really digging it so far. But i'm really missing allot of the gore... The manga was ruthless with it, and the anime seems to just hide every time something brutal happens. Not that its a huge issue, but if you're gonna animate a manga like this, they should atleast do it right..
Apr 14, 2013 4:36 PM
Aug 2012
ZappaBappa said:
I'm really digging it so far. But i'm really missing allot of the gore... The manga was ruthless with it, and the anime seems to just hide every time something brutal happens. Not that its a huge issue, but if you're gonna animate a manga like this, they should at least do it right..
Actually, the second episode had added titan-eating-people scenes as compared to the manga, so if anything there's more gore in the anime. But we'll have to wait and see how they handle the actually-gory chapters.
Apr 14, 2013 4:38 PM

Nov 2010
nnangle said:
ZappaBappa said:
I'm really digging it so far. But i'm really missing allot of the gore... The manga was ruthless with it, and the anime seems to just hide every time something brutal happens. Not that its a huge issue, but if you're gonna animate a manga like this, they should at least do it right..
Actually, the second episode had added titan-eating-people scenes as compared to the manga, so if anything there's more gore in the anime. But we'll have to wait and see how they handle the actually-gory chapters.
Yes well it did add those scenes, but even those scenes didn't show them being eaten and only showed a little blood on the ground.
Apr 14, 2013 4:41 PM

Jan 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
nnangle said:
ZappaBappa said:
Yes well it did add those scenes, but even those scenes didn't show them being eaten and only showed a little blood on the ground.

Just google liveleak if you are this desperate to get a gore boner.
Apr 14, 2013 4:42 PM
Aug 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
nnangle said:
ZappaBappa said:
Pretty early to be demanding excessive gore no? Especially us who know the shit that happens in the further chapters.
Apr 14, 2013 4:50 PM

Aug 2011
PaninaManina said:
nnangle said:
Maelis said:
+1

OMG! True!

SECOND PLOT HOLE!

It's not a plot hole, it's an inconsistency. =.= And she keeps it on her most of the time, doesn't mean she'll keep it on her all the freaking time. And plus, she doesn't even have it on at that particular scene in the manga anyways.

Also, I don't recall the first plot hole.
Apr 14, 2013 4:52 PM

Jan 2012
nnangle said:
IntroverTurtle said:
nnangle said:
ZappaBappa said:
Pretty early to be demanding excessive gore no? Especially us who know the shit that happens in the further chapters.

Its just that i'm a huge fan of the manga, and what originally cought my eye on it was the gore. People die brutally in this show, so if they're going to hide below the actual action, every time some gets their head/torso/legs/arms bitten off, its going to get dull very quickly. And seeing how that tends happen allot in the manga.

Guess the the next bunch of episodes after next weeks one wil pretty much show what I.G is going to do with the gore.. Theres no way they can hide/censor that amount without ruining it.
Apr 14, 2013 4:53 PM
Aug 2012
UtsukushiiYume said:
She keeps it on her most of the time, doesn't mean she'll keep it on her all the freaking time.

Eh, but she should! That's pretty much the only romance we get on this thing.
Apr 14, 2013 4:53 PM

Nov 2010
nnangle said:
IntroverTurtle said:
nnangle said:
ZappaBappa said:
I wasn't demanding it, I was just saying that even though they added more titan eating scenes, there was no gore. So you thinking there's going to be more gore in the anime because of it, is kinda too fast to decide.
Apr 14, 2013 4:55 PM

Feb 2010
That Armored Titan destroying the Gate was Awesome.

I finally saw Potato Girl XD
Apr 14, 2013 4:56 PM

Jan 2010
As the manga, its also starting to be shitty...well...i dropped the manga, so its natural to drop it after few more episodes. cuz thats gonna happen. I dont see them coming back with something great. We'll see though... :D

"The other side of the other side of the other side would be the other side"
Apr 14, 2013 4:56 PM
Jul 2018
-MgZ_ said:
Maelis said:
-MgZ_ said:

/facepalm

Just checked chapter 3. You're right. Seems like she is gonna put her scarf later on. From what chapter is the scene where she was listening to the captain? Cuz its not the one from chapter two... I remember it being a flashback but I can't remember what chapter is it...

Can't seems to find the flashback ="=, but this part is similar http://mangafox.me/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/v01/c002/42.html, although it is after the training though.

Bonus: http://mangafox.me/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/v08/c032/1.html, mikasa looks so muscular lol
Apr 14, 2013 5:16 PM

Apr 2007
Nickienator said:

Get better taste + re-watch = profit?
Apr 14, 2013 5:17 PM
Jul 2018
Found some nice pictures, just for the lulz

Apr 14, 2013 5:42 PM

Apr 2010
-MgZ_ said:
Maelis said:
-MgZ_ said:

/facepalm

I think you mean chapter 15
http://www.mangapark.com/manga/attack-on-titan/c12/10
it's the same scene from the anime.
Apr 14, 2013 5:47 PM

Mar 2008
-MgZ_ said:
PaninaManina said:
nnangle said:
Maelis said:
+1

OMG! True!

SECOND PLOT HOLE!

/facepalm

Báh! Just read that chapter. I'm feeling trolled now.
My apologies.
Apr 14, 2013 5:52 PM

Jan 2010
Killuan said:
Nickienator said:

Come on, no need to be aggressive about it. I'm loving the show so far but I don't expect everybody to be as impressed as me.

Although I am genuinely curious to read an elaborate opinion from people that generally like the genres of this series but didn't find themselves engrossed by the story. As an aspiring writer myself (not an english one, mind you, which is why you may notice some mistakes in my writing), I like to see different perspectives on a story and what aspects in particular didn't grab the attention of said people. Or what is it that they think the anime is lacking...
YunoleffApr 14, 2013 6:04 PM
Apr 14, 2013 6:13 PM

Jun 2007
Didn't think about it when I was watching but, like some people have mentioned, it's almost certainly a plot hole for Eren to have his flashback about the key/injection right after the attack; when he's still with the other refugees. There was room for ambiguity when he had a bad turn after the timeskip and was unable to put the pieces of his memories together; his mind blocking out whatever happened.

Maelis said:
I guess they change mikasa's look a bit, although she still gives that sense of mature, calm and cool, but her lips are too pink and glossy lol. Actually the image of her in the ending song is way cooler, just remove that lipstick for god sake!

Felt the need to quote what you said 'cause you have the same issue I do: MIKASA ISN'T THE TYPE OF GIRL TO PAY ATTENTION TO HOW HER LIPS LOOK! She's badarse; picking up and throwing Eren as if he weighs nothing being far more in-character for her than displaying her feminine wiles. The only time I recall her looking like a woman/feminine was when she broke down after seeing Eren again... in v2 of the manga? Really did seem like the anime peeps were trolling by showing how Mikasa SHOULD look in the ending.

The manga shot I mentioned above:

mmmactastic said:
As far as the gore (or lack thereof), yeah, I definitely hope they step it up, especially when we start seeing the 104 squad and co in combat. I mean, other than the titan that ate Eren's mom, they don't seem nearly as disturbing as in the manga. Censoring the gore to an extent is understandable, but I figure I should feel more horrified watching the anime than I was reading the manga. We'll see.

As far as the fact that they're going in chronological order .. I've seen positive and negative reactions to this, usually the negative is for the reasons you listed: the manga was fast-paced and non-stop action, and the training arc flashback was a breather in the midst of all the craziness.

Personally, I read the manga all in one sitting and I was pretty confused at first. All the dying and flashbacks and battles were chaotic (awesome, of course, but chaotic). Like I had no clue who the armored titan was when they started talking about it later on, which is why I'm glad they made it really clear in the anime. IMO, I feel like going in chronological order is just "safer" for the anime to avoid any confusion or anti-climaxes from cutting an intense fight with a lengthy flashback.

Yeah, a lot of ep 2 was original content. Personally I didn't mind it. I felt like it fleshed out the world a little more - the utter despair and harsh reality of the situation (Hannes admitting that he was scared, soldiers wanting to close the gates on their comrades, people trying to jump onto the boats that were leaving them etc). The chatter with the guards established how incompetent and ignorant the current soldiers were - they've been physically and mentally shielded inside the walls, unaware of the brutality the titans are capable of.

Basically, it feels as if the changes seem to be for the sake of newbies; they're trying to avoid confusion and start out slow. I'm super impatient and I cannot frickin wait for the action to start (3DMG fights!!!), but I understand the direction they're taking. The only thing that worries me is the fact that Eren has his flashback already.. which IIRC, he wasn't supposed to have yet?

A huge part of the manga's appeal lies in the disturbing physical appearances of the titans (fuck off, "eoten"!) being paired with watching them rip humans apart as if they're playthings. It's genuinely unsettling. The TV version will have no chance of matching up to the source material favourably if it continues. The mother's death was handled well enough within the confines of not-showing-it-happen censorship but the other deaths have been far tamer. Here's hoping for more/Blu-ray edits!

Where are all these negative-nelly comrades, angered over ep2? I've seen none in these few pages I've posted on.
The only aspects that I recall confusing me when I first started Shingeki were the lay of the land (I imagine most people get confused over the outer-settlement bait towns) and the usage of Spiderman's power via technology... which still kinda goes over my head. Nothing relating to the characters was terribly confusing, though. There were a lot of faces, starting with the timeskip, but the only ones that really mattered had been introduced in the first few chapters, and Mikasa's back-story was dealt with during the action.

The ONLY positives that can come out of re-ordering the content are A) the characters that die as everyone gets slaughtered being known better (my only complaint with the action-to-action beginning) and B) the action arcs getting linked together without the training arc sandwiched in-between. The bad outweighs the good by far. Really, it strikes me as a move done to make the anime different from the source material, rather than anything required for improvement. Just a terrible idea when the pacing is slowed down in the anime by default.

Hannes admitted he was scared in the manga, too. That wasn't an anime-only scene. Eren hitting the crap out of Hannes' head (he knee'd him in the manga, lol) over being dragged away from his mom and Hannes breaking down in response is one of my favourite/most memorable moments (was handled well). Right after the super-fast-in-manga timeskip, Hannes also apologizes again for running and, this time, gets forgiven/is told he saved their lives.

I REALLY want to see the non-spoiler'd reactions of people over the v1 troll-twist end, so these pacing/re-ordering issues are annoying me even more 'cause of that as well.

I already made a thread about it being highly likely the anime will have an original end, based solely on what happened when Eren woke up in front of Mikasa at the start of ep1. This new flashback 'plot hole' probably makes it even more likely. :/
Apr 14, 2013 6:20 PM

Feb 2012
Why do people need gore? Dramatic tension is more important, and every notion of suspense flies straight out the window when you show every head being chomped off. It's just good storytelling.

Save gore for when it's really needed.
Apr 14, 2013 6:21 PM

Jul 2008
Killuan said:
Nickienator said:

> Better taste
> SAO 8/10
Not saying I have good taste but lol.

Apr 14, 2013 6:22 PM

Jun 2007
Seeing what horrifying things those nasty looking giants can do with human limbs turns the fear expressed on the helpless faces of their victims into reality.

You make it sound like censorship is an artsy-fartsy choice to improve the content for enlightened minds that view blood as being beneath them!
Apr 14, 2013 6:54 PM

Dec 2012
2.8/5

Fuck, it was Ok, but it quite decayed.

I mean, all for that fucking 2 years Time warp. The rest of the episode was good.
Emotions were very good, also those Titans moments. Eren has been OWNED by everyone, LOL.

OK, the next chapter looks promising. I hope this won´t follow the same lines as SAO (Huge time warps).

This is how it all begins.

My RYM|My Last.Fm|My Steam
Apr 14, 2013 6:57 PM

Jan 2010
But what can they even do about censoring, really? It's a limitation that comes with the medium. Even though it is a late night series, it still has to conform to some guidelines in censorship and that's not something the producers can simply ignore. The least they can do is either tone down the violence or find creative ways of censoring it without taking all of the impact away. So far, I think they've done well. It's better to get some "creative" camera placements and blood than a black line obscuring the scene.

I also don't have a problem with the re-ordering of stuff. I love me some action, but I like to know about the characters involved in said action too so the emotional investment is bigger. They may slow down the pace now but on the other hand they won't slow down the pace of the other parts of the manga where they originally belonged, so it's not really a big deal imo. I like what the anime is doing here.
Apr 14, 2013 6:58 PM

Feb 2010
I just want to reassure everyone, this will never become a SAO and disappoints massively with regards to the hype it's getting. I won't deny it's definitely overboard at this point but still, you get the point.

PS: AironicallyHuman get credits for bringing the attention to MAL audience!
Apr 14, 2013 6:59 PM

Jun 2012
Great episode again! It already feels like the series is well in, but not fast-paced. I can't wait for the next episode, and for someday, Eren to get revenge!

5/5.

Apr 14, 2013 7:08 PM
Oct 2010
Hakuromatsu said:
Why do people need gore? Dramatic tension is more important, and every notion of suspense flies straight out the window when you show every head being chomped off. It's just good storytelling.

Save gore for when it's really needed.

It's simple, it helps the viewer understand how frightening the titans are by seeing their actions first hand. Removing it or minimizing it is just takes away from the show. So far aside from Eren's mother, no one else has even been shown close to being eaten even though they put those scenes in there. Everything is implied, but I feel that it takes away from it.

It's like when Eren was shouting at the guard of the inner wall that he didn't know what the titans looked like or what they did, so he couldn't fully understand what they went through, it's the same thing here IMO.
Apr 14, 2013 7:10 PM

Feb 2012
AironicallyHuman said:
Seeing what horrifying things those nasty looking giants can do with human limbs turns the fear expressed on the helpless faces of their victims into reality.

But if you do that right off the bat in episode 1, further instances of violence in the 24 episodes to follow become blunted. We become desensitized to violence in the show, because we've seen a lot of what there is to see already.

AironicallyHuman said:
You make it sound like censorship is an artsy-fartsy choice to improve the content for enlightened minds that view blood as being beneath them!

If that's what I made it sound like, then you need to reread what I wrote.

And notice how in episode 1, they came much closer to showing the head of Eren's mom being chomped off than with any other death that episode -- the tension that had been building throughout the episode was brought to a climax at that moment. If it was censorship alone and not a creative choice, showing more gore with that death in particular would've been pointless.
CuriousThingApr 14, 2013 7:14 PM
Nov 2011
I'm a bit disappointed with all the censorship in episode 2, but I can let it slide since most of those scenes are anime-only content, plus the intro was very well done.
Oct 2010
Lynx_7 said:
But what can they even do about censoring, really? It's a limitation that comes with the medium. Even though it is a late night series, it still has to conform to some guidelines in censorship and that's not something the producers can simply ignore. The least they can do is either tone down the violence or find creative ways of censoring it without taking all of the impact away. So far, I think they've done well. It's better to get some "creative" camera placements and blood than a black line obscuring the scene.

I also don't have a problem with the re-ordering of stuff. I love me some action, but I like to know about the characters involved in said action too so the emotional investment is bigger. They may slow down the pace now but on the other hand they won't slow down the pace of the other parts of the manga where they originally belonged, so it's not really a big deal imo. I like what the anime is doing here.

Psycho Pass didn't need to tone down anything, and honestly, I rather the black lines/spaces like in FZ and JoJo, because I know I can get the uncensored stuff from a br down the road, this however, unless they add the scenes in will not have that. I'm just hoping it's due to how early the series is, because the manga really didn't have much gore up until this point either, but if it's like that way throughout it will lose alot of impact.
Apr 14, 2013 7:12 PM

Feb 2012
skudoops said:
Everything is implied, but I feel that it takes away from it.

It's like when Eren was shouting at the guard of the inner wall that he didn't know what the titans looked like or what they did, so he couldn't fully understand what they went through, it's the same thing here IMO.

No, we still have the implication, and fed through our imaginations that implication is just as powerful, if not moreso. Use your imagination!

Everybody here needs to consider why Rosemary's Baby is such a classic (hint: it's not the gore).

Jun 2007
live2win said:
PS: AironicallyHuman get credits for bringing the attention to MAL audience!

Whilst I'm tooting my horn, I also forced the manga on TumerKing; inspiring him to type the 90-outta-100-something review that's on the top of the manga page. Even made him credit me at the end of his review! >:D

...Y'know, it's actually kind of on-topic that you'd bring up that thread now. As old as it makes me feel to see excitement from years ago, it was the frantic non-stop action that prompted me to make that thread. Had the series stopped for lots of needless chattering at the start instead, I'm doubting I'd have gone to the extremes of, say, 'reading' v2-4 RAW. And that's my worry: that the anime will lose newbs after an amazing first ep followed by... nothing much.

PS: I always see your name on forum posts for obscure manga that are great, like Sekitou Elergy. You're pretty cool, too. (You suck me; I suck you--that's how life works.)
Sep 2010
Nickienator said:
Maybe you should stop watching it then :o.
Apr 14, 2013 7:14 PM

Apr 2008
Going onto 40 chapters read, and watched the first 2 episodes of the anime, and so far its alright, but that's it. I don't know how anyone can give this series a high rating. NOTHING GOOD HAPPENS, nothing at all.

Contains some manga spoiler:
LunaApr 14, 2013 9:00 PM
Apr 14, 2013 7:28 PM

Jun 2007
Hakuromatsu said:
But if you do that right off the bat in episode 1, further instances of violence in the 24 episodes to follow become blunted. We become desensitized to violence in the show, because we've seen a lot of what there is to see already.

I'll have no problemo with the censorship up to yet if during the first post-timeskip battle the 'camera' doesn't move away, as people cry for help in the mouths of titans. Y'see, my problem isn't with the censorship so far: it's with what the censorship suggests is going to happen when the series gets REALLY messy. Eren's first battle and how... gruesome it turns out is important for more reasons than showing gore; the utter powerlessness represented being of far more importance.

And notice how in episode 1, they came much closer to showing the head of Eren's mom being chomped off than with any other death that episode -- the tension that had been building throughout the episode was brought to a climax at that moment. If it was censorship alone and not a creative choice, showing more gore with that death in particular would've been pointless.

As I said before, the mother's death was well-handled. The slow lowering into the titan's mouth - even though the 'chomp' wasn't shown - had enough tension to work. But the the anime team won't always have the 'out' of people being dead by the time they're eaten. Also: it was far more terrifying to see - at a distance - Eren's mom being crushed as she struggled helplessly. There was no reason not to show that in terms of gore, so it's a bit worrying that they'd even censor things like that.

Rosemary's Baby: a film about being impregnated with the devil's child. Purely psychological as a mother fights against a demonic conspiracy that no-one believes. I didn't think it was a good film - far too long and none too believable - but that's neither here nor there: a psychological thriller is slightly different from a desperate battle for survival against creepy giants that want nothing more than to munch on humans. One relies more on visual shocks; the other is all in the mind's eye.
Apr 14, 2013 7:30 PM

Feb 2012
Good points.

Since I'm lazy at heart I'm going to make the excuse of having not read the manga and defer my response to a later date.

A pleasure talking with you.
Apr 14, 2013 7:30 PM
Nov 2011
Guys, remember we're only supposed to discuss up to episode 2 and the relevant chapters in the manga.

Also, though yes - lots of gore, this series is about characters fighting a very one-sided war against giant zombies. It's about survival and death.

It's like how harem series are supposed to be about the relationships developing, not just about the porn.

Anyway, if you don't like the series, that's okay. Not everyone likes this sort of series, just as not everyone likes harems.
Apr 14, 2013 7:37 PM

Feb 2013
What a great episode, and after the boss man buster through the wall of Maria I believe, did he shoot fire out of his mouth? Is he a robot or what, don't answer that
[/url]
Apr 14, 2013 7:41 PM
Nov 2011
PhantomFenrir said:
What a great episode, and after the boss man buster through the wall of Maria I believe, did he shoot fire out of his mouth? Is he a robot or what, don't answer that

He was letting out steam (pressure). Note how the colossal titan also was steaming a lot.

This manga likes to apply laws of science. Big bodies generate more heat.
Pages (21) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1668 by daninoxxi »»
Sep 15, 9:56 AM

» Attack on Titan Manga 15th Anniversary Project

Hickykissy - Sep 8

19 by Azoromesus »»
Sep 11, 9:13 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MermaidGalaxies - Aug 10, 2013

573 by chris1763 »»
Sep 7, 2:33 PM

» Actors who you think is perfect for the cast of AOT live action

Hickykissy - Sep 3

38 by rocketeu »»
Sep 7, 7:36 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2013

652 by dopeplays »»
Sep 2, 1:22 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.