Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Nov 7, 2008 11:27 PM
Jul 2018
Sick-Bastard said:
I'm a Christian. Bible = epic win.

Lol.
I was going to write a long post about the bible being an integral part of a larger movement that cannot be viewed as a stand alone piece without the beliefs, practices and traditions of Christianity...but instead I think I'll just agree with this
Nov 8, 2008 12:34 AM

Aug 2008
llxwarbirdxll said:
I don't see why so many people hate the Bible. It's the most metal thing to have been written in the history of all mankind. Sacrificing children? People burning up in a pool of fire? A man with a rod that can split an sea in half(if you know what I mean)? Satanism doesn't have shit on the Bible.

I see what my mean, but after the old testament, God turned into a pussy for no good reason. And I mean this in a purely literary sense, of course. And with as much respect as I can muster.
Nov 8, 2008 1:22 AM

May 2008
Too much desert for my tastes, in the Bible.
And I believe you often worship the deity that you are called to.

The thing about being a Shintoist or any kind of Animist, Shamanist Neo-Pagan, is that you still believe in the spirits of other places generally. But you just worship at the shrines and of the gods you were called to. So to be a Shintoist, is also to be a Germanic Neo-Pagan in a kind of way, and to be a Celtic Neo-Pagan, is also to be a Shintoist in a kind of way. Except that the faiths you proclaim yourself to be are the spirits you focus on.

It's not eclectic Paganism to recognize this, it is being an Animist at all. If you believe in ghosts it's not likely for you to only believe your country has ghosts is it. So Paganism is naturally eclectic. So we call it eclectic Paganism when someone says they're a Celtic and Germanic Shamanist, but really that's just redundant. It's more a tribal or personal taste thing than lack of belief in other faiths, which animists naturally do.

It would be like a Christian denying the existence of demons and angels elsewhere otherwise.

And I don't see anything in the Bible but it trying to say it's greater than my gods. And I am offended by this. Jesus IS NOT bigger than Odin.

And like I said earlier about me being called to things, I am called to more Northern spirits. And I am certainly not going to put a southern God above my northern gods. I believe in "God" with a capital G in the animist sense, in that I am a Pantheist and a Pandeist. God is the spirit world, in the Deistic sense, and God is the world, in the Pantheistic sense.

And being called to not this Bible is something I am not called to, I find it boring.
I believe in Jesus and that he walked on water, and I believe in the other Assyro-Babylonian deities.
But I am not partial to them.

My God is everything, and it is not held by some Southern, Jewish strings from within the crossroads between Europe, Asia, and Africa.

Ukko and Amaterasu are my Lords, not Jesus and Marduk, and I will never swear allegiance to gods such as those.
ukonkiviNov 8, 2008 7:02 AM

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Nov 8, 2008 1:38 AM

Oct 2007
lizguana said:
llxwarbirdxll said:
I don't see why so many people hate the Bible. It's the most metal thing to have been written in the history of all mankind. Sacrificing children? People burning up in a pool of fire? A man with a rod that can split an sea in half(if you know what I mean)? Satanism doesn't have shit on the Bible.

I see what my mean, but after the old testament, God turned into a pussy for no good reason. And I mean this in a purely literary sense, of course. And with as much respect as I can muster.
God mans up by the time you get to Revelations.
Nov 8, 2008 6:07 AM

Apr 2008
ripped2bleed said:

Might i remind you, and everybody else, that the bible is NOT fiction. It has taken over a thousand years to construct, and just like the Quarn (did i spell it right?) its like a book of truths.

if the Bible was fact i wouldn't be writing this but i would be in repentice.
do you truly believe that the bible is fact? if you don't believe it all to be fact than it is fiction. The bible contradicts itself alot (take for example the unforgiving ways of the old testament compared to Jesus's preaching of forgiveness in the new testament). By contradicting itself it can't possibily be fact.
ripped2bleed said:

Hmm.. i've never heard anyone call it a suicide on Jesus' part. Thats something to ponder upon. People call it a sacrifice.

i believe muslim suicide bombers call it that too. not that i'm against what jesus did.
ripped2bleed said:

So this brings me to my question:
Have you ever gone to church and listened to preachings on this subject?
If you haven't, well then i question your statements.

i used to go to church every week, and sometimes still do. Not because i believe in christianity anylonger but because i believe the message of compassion is quite interesting.
Nov 8, 2008 6:52 AM

Feb 2005
ukonkivi said:
Too much desert for my tastes, in the Bible.
And I believe you often worship the deity that you are called to.

The thing about being a Shintoist or any kind of Animist, Shamanist Neo-Pagan, is that you still believe in the spirits of other places generally. But you just worship at the shrines and of the gods you were called to. So to be a Shintoist, is also to be a Germanic Neo-Pagan in a kind of way, and to be a Celtic Neo-Pagan, is also to be a Shintoist in a kind of way. Except that the faiths you proclaim yourself to be are the spirits you focus on.

It's not eclectic Paganism to recognize this, it is being an Animist at all. If you believe in ghosts it's not likely for you to only believe your country has ghosts is it. So Paganism is naturally eclectic. So we call it eclectic Paganism when someone says they're a Celtic and Germanic Shamanist, but really that's just redundant. It's more a tribal or personal taste thing than lack of belief in other faiths, which animists naturally do.

It would be like a Christian denying the existence of demons and angels elsewhere otherwise.

And I don't see anything in the Bible but it trying to say it's greater than my gods. And I am offended by this. Jesus IS NOT bigger than Odin.

And like I said earlier about me being called to things, I am called to more Northern spirits. And I am certainly not going to put a southern God above my northern gods. I believe in "God" with a capital G in the animist sense, in that I am a Pantheist and a Pandeist. God is the spirit world

And being called to not this Bible is something I am not called to, I find it boring.
I believe in Jesus and that he walked on water, and I believe in the other Assyro-Babylonian deities.
But I am not partial to them.

My God is everything, and it is not held by some Southern, Jewish strings from within the crossroads between Europe, Asia, and Africa.

Ukko and Amaterasu are my Lords, not Jesus and Marduk, and I will never swear allegiance to gods such as those.

Interesting.
Now, if I ever were to worship a god (The God in question would, obviously, first have to show me that it really existed), it would be Tzeentch, the changer of the ways, and maybe a bit of Nurgle on the side.
Few other gods can grant you as awesome gifts as the Chaos gods, and if you're lucky, you might even become a Daemon Prince! Way to go! So much better than all these other shaky depictions of afterlives.

And as some already mentioned, The Bible rips off countless other mythologies. Jesus with his uh...sacrifice bears a striking resemblance to a certain Egyptian god, and that fable about the world being covered with water (Which is physically impossible by the way) is drawn straight from the Babylonian mythos.

Most of the Christian traditions too, are rip offs, Christmas for example, was set to December simply because the Romans already celebrated Sol Invictius at the time, allowing them to simply change the content of the celebration while not having to mess with their calendars. Likewise, pretty much all cultures in Europe had some new years festival, which was converted into a holiday to celebrate the new religion.
In Scandinavia, "Jol" was celebrated with lots of noise and alcohol, and a toast was held for Odin and the rest of the Norse gods. When "Kvitekrist" arrived, they merely kicked out Odin and the gang, replacing them with the lords of the new lore.
Even though the priests tried to change the name from "Jol" to "Kristmesse ", the old ways won this match at least.
Bringing in a tree is also an old pagan custom, adopted i some Norse circles when the people would sacrifice a male creature of every strain they could find (Human included) by hanging them on a tree, and then proceed to dance around said plant. I'd like to see how they got horses up there though. This custom was since integrated into christianity, though with colourful plastic balls standing in for the corpses.

The Bible is inaccurate and is certainly not a good source for any truth, unless you're smitten by the religion.
The truth is the truth, it doesn't care whether or not you believe in it.
BamanNov 8, 2008 6:57 AM
Nov 8, 2008 9:49 AM

Oct 2007
Didn't we already have a thread on this topic a couple of months ago?
Nov 8, 2008 10:01 AM

Feb 2005
legos said:
Didn't we already have a thread on this topic a couple of months ago?

Maybe something about religion , but not one specifically about the novel in question.
Nov 8, 2008 1:35 PM

Dec 2007
*skips everything except for first post*

Bible is, as far as I was told on catholic school, an hyperbole of events in way to use them to send a hippie message of love and peace.

As book it is fun. Very fun. Ok, it's hard to follow the whole genealogy, but the separate stories are very interesting. If you see it as a collection of tales instead of an epic it turns amusing. If you try to imagine all the crude details it is brilliant. Not exceptionally well written for this age and time, but still an interesting read. A long read, but interesting.

As a whole concept, it's only a rip off Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Nov 8, 2008 1:39 PM

Apr 2008
ladyxzeus said:

Bible is, as far as I was told on catholic school, an hyperbole of events in way to use them to send a hippie message of love and peace.

As book it is fun. Very fun. Ok, it's hard to follow the whole genealogy, but the separate stories are very interesting. If you see it as a collection of tales instead of an epic it turns amusing. If you try to imagine all the crude details it is brilliant. Not exceptionally well written for this age and time, but still an interesting read. A long read, but interesting.

do they ever talk about the inconsistency of the bible?
i'm quite interested about what a priest would say about some things written in Leviticus.
Nov 8, 2008 1:50 PM

Nov 2007
BTW The Bible is not meant to be taken literally.
sad
Nov 8, 2008 1:54 PM

Nov 2007
One thing I'm curious about is why Catholics in particular suddenly started practicing RITUAL CANNIBALISM. I've read the bible from cover to cover, both old and new testaments, and nowehere does it mention that eating the body of Jesus, or drinking his blood, will get you into heaven.

Now one could argue that in reality it's only a wafer and a sip of wine, but in the mind of the believer what they're consuming is the flesh and blood of another human. Considering the churches views on cannibalism, it's highly odd why this practice continues every mass.

This isn't the only disturbing religious practice that I've come across, but it's one that no one seems to notice until you point it out to them, probably because of social conditioning.

What a day! What a lovely Day!
Nov 8, 2008 2:00 PM

May 2008
I like the bible because it says fisting is good.

It is the voice of my beloved! He knocks, saying, "Open for me, my sister, my love, My dove, my perfect one”…My love thrust his hand through the opening, and my feelings were stirred for him. (Song of Solomon 5:2-4)
Nov 8, 2008 2:06 PM

Dec 2007
Sohei said:
ladyxzeus said:

do they ever talk about the inconsistency of the bible?
i'm quite interested about what a priest would say about some things written in Leviticus.

They say that it is not to be taken as a whole text. The same story never contradicts itself, as you may notice. =p Maybe this is one of the reasons for them to read a single versicle in the mass (or because reading the whole thing every sunday would be boring)

Bible should also be taken as a story, as a metaphore and as a creation. Catholics, for sure, don't doubt the existance of Christ (probably he existed, had a cool beard and said some fun stuff in the temple) but when I asked my teacher some stuff about Moses he said me that it was all an invention.

And the part of the ressurrection is one of my favs after watching it as play in Brazil. Jesus was interpretated by a soap opera actor and Brazilian soap opera actors are... holy.
Nov 8, 2008 2:23 PM

Feb 2005
To not take it literally huh? This is another reason I despise most religions. If you didn't believe literally what the Bible said in the Middle Ages, you would risk ending your days on the pyre. And a frightening amount of people (Literally everyone) believed the world was some thousand year old, as described by the novel in question, until it was proven wrong (and then there's the drones who still believe it is...).
But religions smartly slither out of their old hides to take on other forms in order to survive in the changing environment. How ironic, Religion evolves, and then there are those religious men and women who still brush off evolution as a mere theory.
Religions are cunning and though lived worms, manipulating their own doctrines to be able to sneak it's tentacles into the unsuspecting girls' school that is most of the world's population (Wait, would that make us anti-religious people Magical Girl Warriors or something? D:). The cunning deceptiveness is something I would love to be at the reins of, but alas, I am not, and thus, I despise it.
See how deeply our slavemorality reaches...
Nov 8, 2008 2:26 PM

Nov 2007
Baman said:
To not take it literally huh? This is another reason I despise most religions. If you didn't believe literally what the Bible said in the Middle Ages, you would risk ending your days on the pyre. And a frightening amount of people (Literally everyone) believed the world was some thousand year old, as described by the novel in question, until it was proven wrong (and then there's the drones who still believe it is...).
But religions smartly slither out of their old hides to take on other forms in order to survive in the changing environment. How ironic, Religion evolves, and then there are those religious men and women who still brush off evolution as a mere theory.
Religions are cunning and though lived worms, manipulating their own doctrines to be able to sneak it's tentacles into the unsuspecting girls' school that is most of the world's population (Wait, would that make us anti-religious people Magical Girl Warriors or something? D:). The cunning deceptiveness is something I would love to be at the reins of, but alas, I am not, and thus, I despise it.
See how deeply our slavemorality reaches...

In the middle ages they through pee in the road. They were stupid. Also it depends on what branch of Christianity you are in. In Catholicism your not supposed to take it literally, but Jehovah Witnesses take it literally.
sad
Nov 8, 2008 2:57 PM

Feb 2005
StephanBlackhawk said:
In the middle ages they through pee in the road. They were stupid. Also it depends on what branch of Christianity you are in. In Catholicism your not supposed to take it literally, but Jehovah Witnesses take it literally.

The many and changing faces of such a religion makes it highly unstable for it's original purpose; to control the masses. At some point, I'm sure the leaders of the church had it all under control, but since then, innumerable splinter factions have emerged, lead by people who themselves actually seem to believe the teachings they endorse, at which point the religion goes out of control.
A double edged sword indeed, a potent means of manipulating and controlling the masses on the one side, but on the other side, it can end up getting a life of it's own, a powerful weapon running on the loose. Nothing more dangerous than that.

I respect those cunning Machiavellian manipulators that invented the various controlled religions and used them to project their dominion over the masses, but I can only feel pity for those that fall into the pit.
Nov 8, 2008 3:39 PM

Nov 2007
Baman said:
I respect those cunning Machiavellian manipulators that invented the various controlled religions and used them to project their dominion over the masses, but I can only feel pity for those that fall into the pit.

That's why the saying goes:

"Pity those who's eyes are fixed on heaven, for they will never see the pit in front of them".
Nov 8, 2008 3:53 PM

Nov 2007
Do you just think Religion is all negativity?
sad
Nov 8, 2008 4:29 PM

Nov 2007
Absolutely. Instead of teaching people to believe in themselves and their own talents (and everyone is good at least one thing), religion has you believe in something that is conveniently unexplainable. Granted there's lots of things that mankind doesn't understand, but that doesn't mean we stop trying to make sense of them.

Religion is a dead end for our mental evolution. We stop questioning the why of things, and we're told to simply accept that it's "God's will". If God wanted people's worship, then why do we have free will? If God wants us to be thankful, then why does man suffer so much? Religion would have us believe that it's all part of some great test, and that we will be rewarded in the afterlife - and therein lies it's true evil. It gives people hope

Hope can be a great thing, but it's too easy to use hope for evil purposes, something which the religions of the world do to an astonishing degree. People want to believe that there's some order to things, that there's some reason for how shit their lives, and the rest of the world, are. This is because people are scared and lazy. They're scared of what they don't know, something that could easily be rectified by a good education (none of this creationist bullshit either - that was made purely to combat the fact that science was systematically proving religion wrong at every turn). They're lazy because they want tomorrow to be the same as today - something which is a curse for mankind in general as we lose our sense of adventure and our curiousity, the two things that made us top of the food chain.

Religion gives people the hope that there is a reason for their pain, and it's a masterwork of psychological manipulation. Every story, parable, hymn, psalm, prayer, etc, is designed to make you fearful of the future, give you hope for something after you die, and above all else, make you believe.

Question: If God's existence is not dependent on belief, then why should people believe? What does God get out of that belief? The "faithful" argue that mankind can't understand God's ineffable plan, but if we're supposedly created in God's image, then surely we can gain some idea? After all, it's not really an equal trade, is it?

One thing to bear in mind when you're talking about belief is this: very few people start off truly believing in religion, the rest are really just going along because it's what they're used. As a person gets older though, and the prospect of death sets in, they begin to doubt their purpose, existence, and what comes next. ENTER RELIGIOUS HOPE - the belief that heaven awaits is a draw for any person who's suddenly afraid of what tomorrow brings.

Hope is a dangerous thing. It's good to have hope in certain circumstances, but none of those should involve any sort of religion.

INTERESTING FACT: The US and British governments have used exactly this tactic as an excuse to change the law in both countries, and so that they could invade a country thousands of miles away from where Bin Laden was supposedly hiding. It's a mixture of fear of tomorrow, and hope for the future, and the threat of terrorism is something that works extremely well as a means of controlling the population.
Nov 8, 2008 4:35 PM

Feb 2005
StephanBlackhawk said:

With my love for Machiavellian skulduggery, I'll admit it can be a terrific institution to control the masses, if I were to create a smooth running society, I would implement a religious doctrine to enforce my rules on the people, as a compliment to the ordinary legal System.

I can't see any other positive point in it though. We can't disprove the existence of gods and the like, but we have absolutely no reason to assume they exist, and therefore, we shouldn't, simple as that.
I know people use religion as emotional support as well, which is the reason why spiritualism and religion first rose during our more primitive ages. People back then needed to believe they could influence the powers of nature by worshiping gods and spirits, it gave them a sense of security, albeit false as it was. Religion as a control institution came later with the rise of the first large cities and civilizations. But no matter how much a religion may support a person's emotional equilibrium and Raison d'être I cannot help but see it as a weakness, to indulge in such fantasies and delusions. The world is a harsh place, and that is something people should realize without clinging to invisible friends and related mysticism. There is no reason for our existence, but if one needs one, then one should venture out and find one by oneself, not adopt the first dogma one comes across, which is what most religious people have done.

Religions live on and on and on, but are really nothing but products of less enlightened minds from an earlier age, how could one possibly believe that they who lived back then somehow grasped some truths that we cannot see now? Even though they may slither out of their old skin, the beasts stay the same, and even if one don't care about how unscientific and incoherent it is, then one would surely at least, see how uncreative it is to simply adopt the beliefs that some people invented some thousand years ago? If one really has to believe in some softer and more forgiving, or otherwise better world than the one before us, then why can't people make up their very own?
But of course, the ones that do usually end up in mental institutions, yet those who slavishly accept the delusions of some long dead men are allowed to walk freely and even have their own temples. How ironic.
BamanNov 8, 2008 4:39 PM
Nov 8, 2008 4:47 PM

Nov 2007
StephanBlackhawk said:

Religion has served it's purpose. It's time to let the ridiculous fictional fantasies die, so that people may face reality. <.<

"Sanity is overrated."
Nov 8, 2008 5:02 PM
Jun 2007
Azamat said:
StephanBlackhawk said:

Religion has served it's purpose. It's time to let the ridiculous fictional fantasies die, so that people may face reality. <.<

I agree. Religion was only meant to be a guideline, not something you should dedicate your life to.
Nov 9, 2008 3:31 AM

Mar 2008

this thread.
Nov 9, 2008 3:33 AM

Apr 2008
well, we don't want the entire world to become a nihilistic place.
think about what that would do to civil unrest.

therefore religion still serves a purpose.
Nov 9, 2008 4:16 AM

Nov 2007
Sohei said:
well, we don't want the entire world to become a nihilistic place.
think about what that would do to civil unrest.

therefore religion still serves a purpose.

LMAO - religion is the single biggest cause of civil unrest in the history of the world, so your argument holds no water.

Education doesn't teach you to be nihilistic, experience does. Education simply opens your options when it comes to believing in something - and in the main, you tend to believe in yourself more than you do a mysterious external force that can't be quantified. Religion teaches you to be ignorant, and "to convert the heathen/infidel with fire and sword".

Seriously, religion has been the cause of more misery, more suffering, more pain, than all of the wars man has fought since the dawn of time - combined. The absence of religion doesn't promote nihilism, quite the opposite I've found. It's the presence of religion that causes man to deny the existence of everything, possibly as a defensive measure so that their brains don't turn into porridge. Religion is just an excuse for one person to treat another like shit.

A religious person will happily walk past someone in trouble if they are the wrong colour/creed/religion/poor/homeless/starving/dying/etc, hell, they'll even walk past their own kind as well. I've never seen a more spiteful, hateful place than my local catholic church on a Sunday afternoon - what with all the backstabbing, false smiles, chinese whispers, and the like. Mass at every church I've been to has this miasma of nastiness floating in the air, as the parishoners eye each other up like strange cats during service (next time you go to church, watch them and see for yourself - their smiles never reach their eyes).

Civil unrest would decrease if religion didn't exist. We'd have a chance to learn about the world and each other. It's all well and good the bible having stories about "the good samaritan" and such, but that just tells people that someone else will shoulder the burden of caring for others. Religion is an excuse to let someone else carry your burdens, your sins, instead of taking responsibility for them yourself.

There's a reason why the bible calls humanity "sheep" you know....
Nov 9, 2008 6:47 AM

Jul 2007
ITT: Let's misunderstand religion, instead of staying OT
Nov 9, 2008 7:32 AM

Feb 2005
url_elf said:

Agreed. How can people really believe religion is a good thing? Madness.
Archaeon said:
It's the presence of religion that causes man to deny the existence of everything, possibly as a defensive measure so that their brains don't turn into porridge. Religion is just an excuse for one person to treat another like shit.

Indeed. The nihilism of religion is far more damaging than the natural nihilism you may find when you cast away religion.
Religion promise a better life after this one, and can make people disregard the only real existence we know of as a prelude for a better world to come. Life is too short and too precious to waste on such delusions.
Archaeon said:
There's a reason why the bible calls humanity "sheep" you know....
Indeed. That is why the Bible was made after all, to promote the rulers with a way of herding the sheeple.
Nov 9, 2008 7:34 AM

Jan 2008
william the conqueror!
Nov 9, 2008 7:35 AM

Jun 2008
I had no clue almost 100% of MAL were atheists. o_O
I'm back.
Nov 9, 2008 7:38 AM

Jan 2008
Sick-Bastard said:

now you know
Nov 9, 2008 8:09 AM

Jul 2007
Baman said:
url_elf said:

Lol, am I being baited? Because those are certainly words being put in my mouth. But that's not the point. The point is everyone is raging about how they liek haet religion in a thread about the Bible as a literary work and it's not even OT.
Nov 9, 2008 8:32 AM

Feb 2005
url_elf said:
Lol, am I being baited? Because those are certainly words being put in my mouth. But that's not the point. The point is everyone is raging about how they liek haet religion in a thread about the Bible as a literary work and it's not even OT.

Ehehe.
Well, we may be sliding off topic, but at least, it's still heavily related to the OT. Discussions too, evolve.
Nov 9, 2008 8:38 AM

May 2008
This: http://www.slate.com/id/2141050/ is a particularly good resource. One guy actually reads the Bible and discusses it all, chapter by chapter. The actual book is much too dry to actually attempt to read it, but you get to learn all the good bits, like God ordering war crimes and whatnot.
Nov 9, 2008 8:57 AM

Nov 2007
url_elf said:
Baman said:
url_elf said:

You can't discuss the bible as a literary work without heavily involving religion, especially as the core of the bible forms a fair portion of the Quran and the Torah.

Besides, I never said I hated religion. Everyone needs to believe in something. My point is simply that the various religious texts aren't unique, and that they're purposely designed to mislead the reader. The traps are fairly obvious though, as they're mainly aimed at people with who don't really understand the world, or who choose to hide from it.

INTERESTING FACT: Mary Magdalene was supposed to be the head of the church, not Peter. He gained the position through trickery and deceit as he hated Mary because of her relationship with Jesus (whether as friends or husband and wife is debatable, but that she was closer to him than any of his apostles is undeniable - why else would he appear before her first after he rose from the grave?).

Oh, and for those of you who do believe, do you honestly believe that Jesus was white, when everyone in the country at the time was tanned or brown? The bible says nothing about the colour of his skin, but it does have a lot to say about where he lived, how he was raised (as a Hebrew I might add, so the probability of him being married by the age of 16 is extremely high), etc, etc. It's the assumption of people, based on what they read and their own prejudices, that makes Jesus a white man, when all of the evidence in the bible itself points to him being dark skinned.

Oddly enough, most of the christian world had a collective apoplexy when Madonna had a black jesus in one of her pop videos. It's interesting to see that racism has one of it's roots in religion, isn't it?
Nov 9, 2008 9:18 AM

May 2008
Sick-Bastard said:

Most people on the internet are atheists, in my experience.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Nov 9, 2008 1:29 PM

Nov 2007
ukonkivi said:
Sick-Bastard said:

[Enter Atheist Joke Here]
sad
Nov 9, 2008 1:51 PM

Jan 2008
ukonkivi said:
Sick-Bastard said:

i'm a pedophile i have to be.

jk jk
Nov 9, 2008 1:56 PM

Dec 2007
And here I was thinking that we were discussing the Bible as a BOOK and not as a religious tool... Silly me.

*unwatches*
Nov 9, 2008 2:00 PM

Jan 2008
ladyxzeus said:
And here I was thinking that we were discussing the Bible as a BOOK and not as a religious tool... Silly me.

*re-watches*

good for you

the bible has been an instrument on govermental rule for over 2000 years and more power to it.....
Nov 9, 2008 2:04 PM

Oct 2007
ukonkivi said:
Sick-Bastard said:

Democrats too.
Nov 9, 2008 2:07 PM

Jan 2008
llxwarbirdxll said:
ukonkivi said:
Sick-Bastard said:

Democrats too.

and communist!!!! commie bastards

and gay

and straight

and lesbian

and bisexual

and republican

and other

and racist

and not

and gay......did i mention they were gay?
Nov 9, 2008 2:48 PM

Oct 2007
According to my theory 100% of the population are gay.
Nov 9, 2008 6:53 PM

Jan 2008
Bere said:
According to my theory 110% of the population are gay.
Nov 10, 2008 4:28 AM

Feb 2005
Bere said:
According to my theory 100% of the population are gay.

Wait, where does that leave grim and cynical me then?

Seems this topic is out of juice...
And unless someone on the pro-side posts some interesting remark, I can't really say much more.
Nov 10, 2008 5:50 AM

Oct 2007
Can't you be grim, cynical and gay ?

Duh, about an interesting remark, I dunno, really. Religion should be treated as guidelines at most, if you do anything more than that, you're a fucking fanatic. Also, most religions carry a very simple message: Be nice to each other. If you're interpreting it in any other way, you're also a fucking fanatic. That's all.
Nov 10, 2008 6:03 AM

Feb 2005
Bere said:
Can't you be grim, cynical and gay ?

Gay - adjective, -er, -est,
1. having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music.
2. bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments.
3. given to or abounding in social or other pleasures: a gay social season.

Whatever do you mean? D:
Bere said:
Duh, about an interesting remark, I dunno, really. Religion should be treated as guidelines at most, if you do anything more than that, you're a fucking fanatic. Also, most religions carry a very simple message: Be nice to each other. If you're interpreting it in any other way, you're also a fucking fanatic. That's all.

Which is why I think they are redundant. The concept of treating people (That is, those close to you) nicely is already embedded in most cultures, and was long before the current big religions came along. If the religions these days can no longer be effectively used as social control institutions, that only leaves the "hope" and emotional support they may provide. Which only serve to make people weaker in my eyes.
Nov 10, 2008 6:20 AM

Oct 2007
Oh okay, I get the pun, lol.

Baman said:
Which is why I think they are redundant. The concept of treating people (That is, those close to you) nicely is already embedded in most cultures, and was long before the current big religions came along. If the religions these days can no longer be effectively used as social control institutions, that only leaves the "hope" and emotional support they may provide. Which only serve to make people weaker in my eyes.

I agree, but you're forgetting that those big religions you're talking about are a part of the culture right now, and there's nothing much you can do about it. Also, I'm not here to change other's beliefs. If it helps them in anyway, whatever. I don't care as long as they're not forcing it on others.
Nov 10, 2008 11:39 AM

Apr 2008
Baman said:

Seems this topic is out of juice...
And unless someone on the pro-side posts some interesting remark, I can't really say much more.

there is no pro-side, except for maybe the fact that "faith" is kept alive, which would be good for public order.
Nov 10, 2008 1:02 PM

Jan 2008
Archaeon said:
Everyone needs to believe in something. My point is simply that the various religious texts aren't unique, and that they're purposely designed to mislead the reader. The traps are fairly obvious though, as they're mainly aimed at people with who don't really understand the world, or who choose to hide from it.

I agree with the part about everyone needs to believe in something and that the texts aren't unique.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.