Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (24) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 » ... Last »
Mar 17, 2012 10:39 PM

Jan 2011
some animes are better left untouched as the awe of their once brilliant existence is polluted by "attempts" of greed
Hide behind the mighty wall of internet, i shall
Mar 18, 2012 3:31 PM

Aug 2010
Just finished.
I don't know what to say.
I'm really sad for Simon, he deserved a better end, when Nia started disappearing I felt like crying.
Great series, the ending could have been better though ;_;
sweetdropsMar 18, 2012 4:40 PM
Mar 22, 2012 2:21 PM

Nov 2011
Who the hell do you think I am?
Mar 23, 2012 3:22 AM

Sep 2011
Wow, One hell of a amazing show.
Mar 25, 2012 5:23 PM
Apr 2009
No show has surprised me so much.

No show has left me feeling so conflicted :):

10/10
Mar 28, 2012 3:49 AM

Feb 2011
Finally finished the second half after watching the first half maybe as long as a year ago.

Poor yoko another loved one to die in battle. The romance was completely unneeded imo, it would have been fine if she had remained hung up on Kamina. The members of the brigade dont need a reason to fight the way they fight especially at that point in the series, they just do. It just felt random and half assed.

Considering all the stuff between Simon and Nia it would have felt cheap if she had picked up the ring and the two of them got together (part of me still wanted them to) and that would have been her third romance so it would have been like they were passing her around.

I felt sorry for Simon, after all that Nia 'died' anyway. I didnt like how he just left and became a wanderer. If my wife died Id need my friends more then ever. I would have liked to see him go on to help the military or go back into politics or help yoko with her Island school
Apr 3, 2012 5:29 PM

May 2011
Wow, that was beyond epic! Everything progressed so amazingly. I can definitely say, this anime has moved me. GURREN LAGANN FTW!
Apr 4, 2012 7:12 PM

Apr 2011
Speechless... only word that comes to mind. Q.Q
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 14, 2012 7:45 AM

Jul 2010
Beyond epic anime despite being 5 years old. Hoping for something like this in the near future.
Apr 19, 2012 12:48 AM

Sep 2011
Wow awesome ending! The way they beat that anti-spiral dude was pretty sick I must admit, and Nia disappearing at the end was also a nice touch to the end as well! (not that I hated her but it added a nice element to the ending) xD
Apr 19, 2012 5:31 AM

Oct 2010
wow, great last episode, i enjoyed this series on a bunch of different levels, and for different reasons, going to have to be a 9 out of 10 only because near the end i just wanted the fighting to stop, i am still a bit sad about Nia :(
Apr 20, 2012 2:36 PM

Jul 2009
I really don't understand this anime's popularity. I know I'm in the minority in this, but I thought this series was awful.
Apr 24, 2012 6:24 AM

Sep 2009
Well, I'll be. That was a great series. Even after 5 years. Just finished watching it and am now waiting for the "post-series glow" to dissipate, but it was definitely worth a solid 9 at the least. The pacing was great and something many animes get wrong, but if I did have a small complaint, it would probably be the AMOUNT of action. There are times there was just too much happening at any one time, but this is also one of the reasons I loved it. Hell, it's a conundrum. Shame that Nia had to go, but understandable. Great to see an epilogue too, good job by Gainax and also it removes the "2ND SERIES NNNOOOWWW!" calls.

I'll rewatch it again one day, and I don't do that with many series but this was fun, bittersweet at times and just overall great.
Apr 30, 2012 10:05 AM
Apr 2012
SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT THE HELL IS WITH THE EPISODE 1 PROLOGUE
May 5, 2012 2:41 PM

Mar 2012
Wow... Great finale to an awesome series. Gurren Lagann has all of your badassery and epicness... ALL OF IT!
May 25, 2012 2:13 PM

Aug 2011
Here I was, hoping for a happy ending, but oh well - it was bound to end the way it did. Felt sorry for Simon - after all he did, he was pretty much forgotten by everybody except his old friends. Nia... what happened to her was probably the saddest part of this episode.

As for the series as a whole - it was a good watch. Not a 10 from me, but a strong 9. It's amazing how all those ass-pulls didn't bother at all. In the final episode the proportions went completely wrong though - Simon used Lagann to destroy the Anti-Spiral monster, which means that his Lagann suddenly grew to the galactic size. Still, it was good.
May 28, 2012 12:36 PM

Apr 2012
For me, I didn't like the ending....Well the last 7mins to be precise. The death of Nia was sad but the fact that they knew about it made it less painful. What was painful though was the fact that Simon and Yoko didn't get together in the end or even meet each other since Simon's departure. What I was hoping for was maybe a Simon x Yoko ending (maybe a few years afterwards or a few months) or the fact that they became very close friends and Simon lived with her in the island, helping her to teach little children.

However, the lonely old Yoko sensei thing is just heartbreaking and the phrase, "I am nobody" from Simon just makes it even worse. It just gives me the impression that even though they were friends or even close friends during the war, they didn't get to see each other again and became ALONE. BUT OH WELL....The anime itself, excluding the ending, is amazing.
Gency4everMay 28, 2012 12:39 PM
May 29, 2012 1:54 PM

Jan 2012
How this garbage is so popular is beyond me
Jun 6, 2012 8:08 PM

Dec 2008
EPIC EPIC EPIC EPIC EPIC EPIC EPIC EPIC EPIC EPIC EPIC EPIC EPIC EPIC EPIC EPIC EPIC EPIC EPIC EPIC EPIC EPIC

IJOU
Jun 30, 2012 6:18 AM

Jul 2011
o_O their mechas were galaxy sized. Damn. just... damn...
This is probably the most over-the-top epic anime I've ever had the pleasure of watching.
Jul 3, 2012 2:02 PM

Feb 2012
Awesome anime!

10/10, everything was just perfect about it!
Jul 5, 2012 9:36 AM

Feb 2012
he ended up being a nothing... to bad.
i was expecting more of this ending.. a more ''happy'' ending to be honest
but i loved it! 20/10!

nyan-nyan-nyan-nyan Forever!
Jul 11, 2012 7:30 AM

Apr 2012
hah, didn't expect it to be this good.
Jul 11, 2012 8:06 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Holy $h!t! Epic!

Right when I was thinking, "How could there possibly be an anime out there that is better than any in my top 10!" Gurren Laggan takes the #5 spot!
Jul 12, 2012 11:35 AM

May 2012
Sidestep said:
OH MY GOD.

I enjoyed that so much.
Jul 17, 2012 7:57 AM
Feb 2012
i've watched a LOT of anime and i have to say this was deffo in my top .... anime. i dont really have a top 10 as such but if i did i wouldnt even have to think twice about putting gurren lagann in it. the ending was pretty bittersweet tho which makes me kinda sad but its awesome xD. id rate it 10/10 ...
Jul 23, 2012 3:08 PM

Dec 2008
I'm not a huge fan of this last episode. How thier voices and facial structure had changed when they showed the future just seemed really stupid to me. Also how Simon ended up was pretty sad. I sorta wish they just left that out. Plus wtf was up with Leeron? He looked and sounded exactly the same.. >.> Overall, though. I loved this series! It was quite epic. To tell the truth.. I actually started this series in september of 2011. When Kamina died I was almost heart broken.. ;_; I couldn't see how they could possibly keep this series interesting without him. He was like the backbone! I couldn't watch it after that.. Not until a friend told me to finish it a few days ago :<. They managed, I suppose, it was probably necessary to kill him off.. but still.. I disliked Simon as a kid. So I thought it would suck but he was much better as an adult. I was happy to see Viral all involved too. He was my second fav male character. Second to Kamina, of course! I also really liked Yoko. I felt so bad for her when she finally was able to open her heart up for another man, Kittan, and then he goes and dies immediately after. That was sorta shitty. Plus all the other people that died. >_>' Still.. I really loved it lol. I'm glad they showed Kamina at the end too. R.I.P. Kamina!! We will always remember you!

Overall, I gave this series an 8/10.

Oh..
My new favorite thing to say~
Ore ga dareda to omotte yagaru!?(:3)

Hoping the movies have Kamina~ness.
FeatherLynneJul 23, 2012 3:30 PM

Jul 25, 2012 11:20 PM
Jul 2012
Why didn't he combine with the anti spirals machine, the anti spiral had been a spiral and his machine used spiral technology hence all the drills at the end. At the end i was like OMG Simons going to combined with that things machine and take it over and save the galaxy, but nope he decides to kill his women -_- BAKA! Obviously Simons will was stronger than the anti spiral and so it makes it obvious he could have combined and kicked the Anti Spirals ass. i Think the Anti Spiral was bluffing about fighting on even terms with Simon, because if that was true then he would have just quit using that machine, BUT he didn't stop using the machine and start using more powerful stuff, because he didn't have it. THEREFORE SIMON SHOULD HAVE TAKEN CONTROL OF THAT EVIL MANS EX-SPIRAL MACHINE DX FUCKING BAKA FUCKING STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID

The ending made me so sad :( now before any one says that its a realistic ending. Think about it this way. If you had to choose between having all humans survive except the closest ones to you, Or most humans die except the closest ones to you! what would you choose? I'm sorry but if a bunch of people i don't care about are alive makes no difference -_- but if a bunch of people i care about are dead, it does make a difference. Now both of Yokos lovers confess there love for her right before they die. At the end it shows her a old women alone, meaning shes ganna die a lonely death. I felt a connection for all the charactures that died -_- and all the charactures whose lovers died. They killed off and depressed the only people i liked in this show DX Simons and Yoko are with out there love, and all the cool guys died saving everyone. and that guy who tried to kill simon to cover his own skin is fucking leader of there government DX i wanted to see HIM DIE GURAAAAH i would have liked the series if at the end he fell off a build or Simon comes over and is like you tried to kill me, and then kills him! that man saw no justice and he is EVIL but asides from that Gurren Lagann is a good ending for people who have no heart or fell in love with all the wrong charactures -_- also my favorite guy died in episode 8 Simon should have at least brang his wife back long enough to have a child -_- The man of ultimate legends doesn't even have a heir. This series and i have a hate love relationship thats why i must say it has the worst ending ever, but the best ending ever also -_-

What really set me over the edge was that they didn't even have Simon and Yoko come together out of there grief, i mean Simon lost his love, but YOKO LOST TWO LOVES :( they should have at least gotten together in the 7 years later
Jul 29, 2012 11:39 AM

Apr 2012
Wow this show really left strong impression in me, it must really suck to be one of those who haven't seen this to the end.
Jul 29, 2012 11:12 PM
Feb 2012
Eromdiks said:

The ending made me so sad :( now before any one says that its a realistic ending. Think about it this way. If you had to choose between having all humans survive except the closest ones to you, Or most humans die except the closest ones to you! what would you choose? I'm sorry but if a bunch of people i don't care about are alive makes no difference -_- but if a bunch of people i care about are dead, it does make a difference. Now both of Yokos lovers confess there love for her right before they die. At the end it shows her a old women alone, meaning shes ganna die a lonely death. I felt a connection for all the charactures that died -_- and all the charactures whose lovers died. They killed off and depressed the only people i liked in this show DX Simons and Yoko are with out there love, and all the cool guys died saving everyone. and that guy who tried to kill simon to cover his own skin is fucking leader of there government DX i wanted to see HIM DIE GURAAAAH i would have liked the series if at the end he fell off a build or Simon comes over and is like you tried to kill me, and then kills him! that man saw no justice and he is EVIL but asides from that Gurren Lagann is a good ending for people who have no heart or fell in love with all the wrong charactures -_- also my favorite guy died in episode 8 Simon should have at least brang his wife back long enough to have a child -_- The man of ultimate legends doesn't even have a heir. This series and i have a hate love relationship thats why i must say it has the worst ending ever, but the best ending ever also -_-

Completely agree 100%!!! Especially about the best/worst ending.

P.S. I really wanted Rossiu to die to!
Aug 21, 2012 2:25 PM

Jul 2012
I almost cried for Simon in the end and i am grown a$$ man.
Aug 27, 2012 1:05 AM

Feb 2012
A fitting end for an epic anime.

There were so many symbolic depictions of despair, rage, hope, faith, sadness and happiness that my mind was simply blown. But if I do have to pick one scene that left an impression, it'd be:

To all haters of Rossiu, haters of how Simon and Yoko ended up, haters of the deaths of Nia and the Dai-Gurren members: I can only hope that age and experience will change the maturity of your opinions if you ever watch this series again.
Aug 30, 2012 5:51 AM

May 2012
Oh man what an epic final episode! It was so beautiful but also sad especially when Nia disappeared :'(

Damn this Anime is really a masterpiece 10/10

For me it's now up to the movies :D
Sep 1, 2012 1:32 AM
Sep 2012
I just finished the series, 12:10 AM, Signed up to post this, Had to say something.
This was the Best Anime I have ever seen, Started to have some sort of fit at the end, was laughing and almost crying at the same time, the fact that it wasn't just a forced happy ending made it all the more........ I'm not sure... Realistic? Had more closure.
Anyway, sorry if I sound corny, I really just couldn't NOT tell someone anyone how I felt.
I'm going to sleep now.
Sep 6, 2012 11:11 PM

May 2008
Even though im not really into Mecha or all the manliness stuff , it was really good i liked this anime quite alot . Why Nia WHY AOWDHAOWBHOWQDBOQWUBFOU

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Sep 8, 2012 8:12 AM

Aug 2012
Well i remember episode 7 (proably). Yoko kisses Kamina, when Simon was watching them. That really touched me i felt so sorry to that boy. I was hoping i will see Yoko and Simon 2gether. But he lost feelings to her, well i guess it ended as it is should end. :)
Sep 9, 2012 7:29 AM

Apr 2011
Re-watched this episode after about a year, and I still felt all the same emotions as the first time. Such a beautiful series overall, a bittersweet end but fitting.
Sep 16, 2012 9:39 PM
May 2012
Dammit, such an awesome series, its always hard for me to move on to other shows after such epicness...

And argh, i hate time skips... makes the whole thing much more sad, and i still cant get over Kamina's death...and to think that basically he is the one who started it all by pushing Simon...

ARGHHH

Vanilla23Sep 16, 2012 9:48 PM
Sep 16, 2012 10:21 PM
Mar 2010
Smileeyface said:
A fitting end for an epic anime.

There were so many symbolic depictions of despair, rage, hope, faith, sadness and happiness that my mind was simply blown. But if I do have to pick one scene that left an impression, it'd be:

To all haters of Rossiu, haters of how Simon and Yoko ended up, haters of the deaths of Nia and the Dai-Gurren members: I can only hope that age and experience will change the maturity of your opinions if you ever watch this series again.

Agreed. Character development, deaths, romances, and the overall direction/flow of the show was handled excellently, really to such a high level of quality and precision that you would rarely see in anime. Yes, the plot itself is quite shallow, but I dare say TTGL manages to bypass the problem completely given its rich, character-drive story. I re-watched this show again after several years, and found myself have an even deeper appreciation for how all the elements in the show tie in together.

My only complaint is with the Team Dai Gurren member deaths near the end of the show. While Kittan's death was essential to the mission's success and thus felt valid/emotional, the rest of the team seemed to be forced into their deaths as story devices, always a weak method of writing IMO. I can definitely see how others would disagree with me here, so TBH I don't hold it against the show either.

I gave this show a 10/10 when I first saw it, and I still believe it to be worthy of that score. Despite its flaws, the show remains a shining example of an anime masterpiece.
Sep 17, 2012 7:11 AM
May 2012
And also... after the 20 years time skip they need to be 40~ and they look much much older... :<
I prefer to think the 20 years time skip didn't happen...(and also why the hell they didn't see each other for 20 years? no reason)
Sep 22, 2012 7:20 AM

Aug 2011
It's a happy ending for the new generation.

Simon and Yoko certainly deserve more! But I guess it cannot help...
Sep 22, 2012 7:45 AM

Aug 2011
Smileeyface said:

Sep 23, 2012 4:39 AM

Oct 2009
Dat moment, when they all screamed "TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN!"
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Oct 1, 2012 1:46 AM

Jun 2011
Surprisingly meh ending for an anime that started off pretty nicely. I appreciate the closure, but it was poorly done. Simon becoming a wanderer just felt unnatural and kinda forced. You don't just turn your back at humanity after you've just managed to give them hope for a future.
Oct 5, 2012 10:32 PM

Oct 2011
woow.. that was just... beautiful.. a very very nice final episode, the battle was epic and the finishing move from tengen toppa gurren lagann down to just lagann was really nice :D
but i really had to laugh at simon's "humanity isn't that stupid".. if only that would be true :/

very beautiful wedding, but sooo sad to see nia disappear right after it :/
now yoko and simon stay virgins until they die since i doubt they would do it with anyone else :o haha, yes that's the most important point :P

well, in my opinion simon and yoko could at least have lived together (even if only as friends) but staying without anyone really dear is really cruel :( (yoko's students don't
count of course)

but in the end it was a really great show that was really enjoyable, definitely one of my favourites (yoko too <3)
Oct 10, 2012 3:48 PM

May 2012
Man that was a beautiful ending!! Manly tears were shed ;_;
And that's coming right off the most epic fight scene i've ever witnessed in any anime!! (At least concerning giant mech-things)

Definitely a perfect end to a fantastic series!
(Hopefully no sequel will be made to screw it up xD)
who_dat_ninjaOct 10, 2012 3:54 PM
Oct 17, 2012 6:50 AM

Oct 2012
duhu1148 said:
I really don't understand this anime's popularity. I know I'm in the minority in this, but I thought this series was awful.

first of all if you think its awefull while your watching it, it will be awefull, just like people says haters ganna hate :)
My biggest regret is using my real name as my user name.

The continuous pursuit of finding that genuine thing.
Oct 17, 2012 6:57 AM

Oct 2012
Super
Veethorn said:
Gurreninja said:
before i watched this anime, i thought that nothing could top FMA:Brotherhood but i was proven wrong. this anime blew my mind and moved me in a way i thought an anime would ever do. when i first saw the last episode i was angry. i thought that after all the shit that Simon went through in his life, he atleast deserved the woman he loved. i thought that Gainax was trying to fuck me over. my outlook changed after i saw it again and noticed that Simon had accepted the fate of Nia and come to terms with it. instead of sulking over her fate he persevered through and decided live his life with no regrets. im not gonna lie, i had tears in my eyes at the end of this episode just like i had wen Kamina died. i have never had such an emotional response from anime or any other media outlet. Thank you Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann for changing my outlook on life.

I feel this man, I feel this...
I FEEL you too man! it took me 2weeks to remove those emotional attachment from this show i have watched so many god damn anime's but this one gave impact to my heart
My biggest regret is using my real name as my user name.

The continuous pursuit of finding that genuine thing.
Nov 2, 2012 4:27 AM
Nov 2012
Dissent said:
Surprisingly meh ending for an anime that started off pretty nicely. I appreciate the closure, but it was poorly done. Simon becoming a wanderer just felt unnatural and kinda forced. You don't just turn your back at humanity after you've just managed to give them hope for a future.

He didnt abandon humanity at the end. He's already given all he could and lost what was most important to him. The new generation is ready and able, thanks to him, to take care of itself. A new age he doesnt need to be a part of directly. The new generation is drilling its own way to the stars now. Literally.

That's the hope he gave them and is why he stepped aside. He's way to powerful and they'd only end up relying on him and become weaker for it. Atleast if he's in the forefront.

And i say directly cause it seems to be hinted (during the post credits scene) that he does take action when he's needed (at this point he has god like cosmic power) and is looking after them. So he hasnt just gone off into the desert like a certain someone in Dune. He keeps his eye on things. (in the movies and parallel works its shown he has been helping in all sorts of small ways or under the radar. One could argue theres many alien worlds now but he can teleport between them just by having something identifiable to focus on using his spiral power)

He made it possible for them to survive and made them capable of pushing forward by themselves.

*****************************onto other things.

Yoko always saw him as a comrade, a brother in arms. They have a close bond but not one of romantic love. Not from her, and no longer by him. He clearly moved on from her AGES ago close to episode 8. You dont just hitch up "just cause" it seems nice and consoling.

Also seriously...what closure? everyone who's dead stays dead and the person he reached out to rescue died from the very act of rescuing her
IkuinenNov 7, 2012 7:26 AM
Nov 7, 2012 9:04 AM
Jan 2012
- 23/24 minutes of this ep were brilliant, but when simon leaves everyone behind to go be a nobody-wanderer, (he even said so himself, how can he call himself "nobody," wtf!) it pretty much ruined the show for me. its so sad for yoko and simon that they live alone, also all their power comes from "spiral energy" which is the power to evolve, so how could simon possibly not have kids!
- simon and yoko should have got together, obv not right after his wedding, but yoko should have kept the ring then and that 20years-later scene should have involved them together with a family.
- i would have almost preferred simon died super epically in the fight. the rest of the show was pretty much the embodiment of "its better to burn out than fade away" but then, simon couldnt have possibly faded away worse than he did, and alone even.
- they should re-air the whole series just to change that last minute to where simon stays in the city and becomes a commander or whatever with viral. he can still give away his core drill so the whole 'spiral race' doesnt keep relying on him. that would be perfect.
- it couldnt have possibly ended worse for simon.
- i just dont understand why simon left everyone. i mean seriously, after all that, WHO THE F*CK WOULD JUST LEAVE ALL THEIR FRIENDS BEHIND!! especially yoko, both of her loves died and simon just leaves her alone. f*ck you for that simon, f*ck. you.

i mean does he think its cool to have a flashy leaving scene like that and become a nobody? no it isnt, if anything its cowardly, and really un-simon-like. that ending was really unfitting and i hate it. yoko did occasionally look at simon with some interest and simon definitely looked at her that way, so they could have easily ended up together, especially since simon pretty much became kamina in the end and yoko moved on from kamina to kittan, who was basically kamina 2, so why cant she move on to simon who became kamina 3? it really was a terrible ending. after fighting the dispair the anti-spirals tried to bring about, they end up in dispair anyway even tho they saved all life in the universe. they diserve better.

eve if they couldnt end up together, they could have still been together as friends. there is no reason at all for them to be alone.

i think Gainax tried to make the end as epic as they could with simons leaving scene, which it kinda was when he threw the cape over his shoulder, but really it sucked. he should have stayed with everyone, doesnt really matter what he did, but he should have been with them at least.

this show had a guaranteed 10/10 rank from me until that last minute or so, but now i really want to drop it to a 9 but i would feel bad for the other 99.99999% of the show.

i loved everything else about this show, but i cant get over simons horrible post-show life. ill try my best not to think about it so i can still love the show.

other than simon and yokos last little bit, it was a good ending for all the other characters, and the scene where he goes through all the laganns to finally hit the bad guy with the smallest lagann was super awesome.

its gonna be tough getting over that show, i hate it when good shows end, even if its a happy end i still get sad that its over

[edited a few days after writing this^: please read my next post before judging me like Ikuinen did (which i guess was fair enough from what i said)]
andrewisgodNov 10, 2012 7:38 AM
Pages (24) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

accela - Sep 22, 2007

222 by TheStarscream759 »»
Yesterday, 5:25 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Krelian - May 16, 2007

95 by rogire »»
Sep 22, 5:36 PM

Poll: » Gurren Lagann Episode 8 - Never Forget ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

windy - May 20, 2007

516 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Sep 14, 10:44 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MasterChief - May 10, 2007

184 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Sep 14, 7:46 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Krelian - Apr 25, 2007

208 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Sep 14, 4:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.