Forum Settings
Forums

FUNimation Sues ADV, Sentai, and Others for US $8 Million

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 14, 2012 2:43 AM

Oct 2009
FUNi just mad that Sentai keeps licencing most of the anime out there.
Jan 14, 2012 3:19 AM

Mar 2009
What the actual fuck.
Jan 14, 2012 3:21 AM

Sep 2010
Well damn I hope both companies at least stay around for a few more years after this.

I doubt anime in the R1 industry will die. Dubs pretty much, but there will always be people who would be willing to step up and get into the industry for the fans (at least I hope). Like NIS for example now when I see if their subs are good then I wouldn't mind buying from them in the future.

If this lawsuit doesn't break Sentai or start on its downfall they should be around for quite a while maybe even longer than Funi since they sub then dub if it sells well instead of dubbing everything they get.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jan 14, 2012 3:22 AM

Oct 2009
Redfoxoffire said:
RyanSaotome said:
Redfoxoffire said:
RyanSaotome said:
Yanoflies said:
Who gives a shit about FUNi.

EDIT:

Why do you guys care anyways? I'd much prefer if no anime made it to the states.

And while this is kinda blunt, I agree. No license holders makes it easier for the fansub industry to thrive.

And all us people who want to actually own the anime we love on DVD/Blu-ray as well as support the creators of it can all just go fuck ourselves, right?

Well, it would suck for the people who like to build DVD/BD collections... but if you truly wanted to support the original creators, you should buy directly from Japan instead of through a middleman at 1/10th the price. The original creators get a fraction of what they'd get if you bought the import release.

That is an acceptable solution if and only if:
1. English subtitle quality is good and common across many/all new releases.
2. Shit really hits the fan with NA market and there's no saving it.

Otherwise, I like my English dubs and localized releases in general. Reasonable prices are a plus. I mean, I like supporting the people who make what I like and all, but I wouldn't pay those prices for anything except my top favorites.

Plus these are the people who brought me and probably ~98% of you into the anime fandom in the first place. Without these companies bringing us stuff like DBZ and Pokemon, most of us would not even be here. Have a little respect. Hoping the NA industry goes down so fansubbing can flourish...I don't even know what to say about that. Even many fansubbers themselves have standards and try to avoid getting in the way of the industry.

This is coming from somebody who lives in Australia, a place where you can't get your anime 'the right way' unless you either import from the US or Japan itself (yeah, or an alternative like CR). So obviously there's nothing to gain for me in terms of anime getting subbed or dubbed (which I by the way, really hate) in English in America. I'd still have to import it either ways.

The thing is, you talk about 'supporting the industry'. But Japan's anime industry is self-supportive. It's the Americans making the income through licensing. Japan does not make direct profit from licensing, and to be honest I have no idea why they still go through the trouble of doing so. I'm not an economist, nor do I have any statistics; but I'm pretty damn sure Japan's revenue from America is negligible.

Then again, I'm beginning more and more to not rely on subs. I can't say the same for manga, lnovels and vnovels since I can't read Japanese yet.

The only thing I'm thankful for the western anime industry, is for pissing me off and motivating me to learn Japanese so I don't have to rely on them. I mean common, picking up a novel, translating 2/9 of them and then discontinuing the project?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 14, 2012 6:13 AM

Feb 2010
well yes, i have to agree .. its all about money
"never regret anything, because at one point it was exactly what you wanted"
Jan 14, 2012 7:34 AM
Jun 2008
i've no idea what going on unless going merger on it give bandai going on vacaction time & now this yea i'm so ?????

give one more wonder is yea what anime fans going get out of this besides one really who might end up hurt is fans.
LIVING THE GS-LIFESTYLE
MR.GS
JUST ON THE JOURNEY THROUGH THE ANIME WORLD
THE KLAC OF ANIME WORLD
you either with ANIME http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 or against the anime
Jan 14, 2012 7:40 AM

Aug 2006
Not surprised Funimation is suing someone, but it looks like ADV deserves it. This is really the only explanation for the breaking up of the company no one could figure out.

Edit: turns out I can't read. ADV in fact does not operate ANN.
therubiconJan 14, 2012 8:31 AM
Jan 14, 2012 7:41 AM

Nov 2008
Funi has lost it, this is a good reason why you should import your anime, you support the creators.

US anime industry will be changed by subs in Japanese releases and the US licensing will go extinct soon probably at the end of this year if things keep up.

Jan 14, 2012 7:44 AM

Jul 2010
Jeez man. What got their panties in a knot?

Jan 14, 2012 7:46 AM
Oct 2010
Takashi981 said:
Harris County Texas...not far from where I live....ah..
I wonder how much they pay the lawyers....>.>
I don't even know what to say @.@

OMG small world :o im from the area too. maybe ill go talk to funi and tell em to cut the shit :\

this sucks. if funi ends up the only distributor id end up just importing :o
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

Jan 14, 2012 7:47 AM

Apr 2010
therubicon said:
Also: ANN is owned by ADV.

Is that true? No wonder the ANN editors are so defensive against Funimation in the topic over there.

Jan 14, 2012 7:55 AM

May 2009
Jigero said:
So Funimation got tried of threatening torrent sites with legal action for a little while?

Pretty much my first thought. Funi is the big bad bully these days.
Jan 14, 2012 8:24 AM

Aug 2006
RyanSaotome said:
therubicon said:
Also: ANN is owned by ADV.

Is that true? No wonder the ANN editors are so defensive against Funimation in the topic over there.

Actually I take that back. I can't read. I read "Anime Network" as "Anime News Network". My bad. OTL

Funimation can definitely be called a bully, but I still think ADV tried to pull a fast one on them.
Jan 14, 2012 8:35 AM

Sep 2011
Man, I can't believe all this is happening :(
Jan 14, 2012 8:57 AM
Mar 2010
My now that is something ells this is going to backfire at them for sure.
Jan 14, 2012 9:04 AM

Dec 2011
Ironic you know. It’s the year 2012 and I’m already hearing bad news popping up 24/7. First it’s Bandai and now this? American Anime companies fighting over themselves, oh well. Just hope nothing bad happens with the Dubbing. Or else, back to fansubs again.
Jan 14, 2012 9:51 AM

Sep 2011
Redfoxoffire said:
The first pre-trial meeting is currently scheduled for October 5, 2012.

Bureaucracy at it's finest. Hah.
Jan 14, 2012 10:04 AM

Jan 2012
they must fail to realize this kind of thing is just going to piss off older fans and possibly chase away new fans. ultimately most of us are going to be pissed off at funimation for the disruption. so all their doing is getting some money back, but losing a ton that would of come in if they didn't mess up their own image.

ultimately, we must all stop and thank our respective subbing groups that do not charge for their subs. we must all come together and be grateful for those of us who can translate japanese, and possibly write angry letters to the makers of our anime (angry about funimation and the american anime companies not them) and just hint that they should start getting people on their teams that can translate for them so they stop selling the rights to their masterpieces to a high on itself translating company run by greedy americans. :D
lets just admit, funimation is not responsible for these shows, they probably don't have an artistic bone in their bodies, and all they really due is translate and censor the originals.therefore we owe minimal respect to them and should focus on the makers of the show as our idols, not the people who translate.
Jan 14, 2012 10:11 AM

Jan 2012
Redfoxoffire said:
RyanSaotome said:
Redfoxoffire said:
RyanSaotome said:
Yanoflies said:

EDIT:

Why do you guys care anyways? I'd much prefer if no anime made it to the states.

And while this is kinda blunt, I agree. No license holders makes it easier for the fansub industry to thrive.

And all us people who want to actually own the anime we love on DVD/Blu-ray as well as support the creators of it can all just go fuck ourselves, right?

Well, it would suck for the people who like to build DVD/BD collections... but if you truly wanted to support the original creators, you should buy directly from Japan instead of through a middleman at 1/10th the price. The original creators get a fraction of what they'd get if you bought the import release.

That is an acceptable solution if and only if:
1. English subtitle quality is good and common across many/all new releases.
2. Shit really hits the fan with NA market and there's no saving it.

Otherwise, I like my English dubs and localized releases in general. Reasonable prices are a plus. I mean, I like supporting the people who make what I like and all, but I wouldn't pay those prices for anything except my top favorites.

Plus these are the people who brought me and probably ~98% of you into the anime fandom in the first place. Without these companies bringing us stuff like DBZ and Pokemon, most of us would not even be here. Have a little respect. Hoping the NA industry goes down so fansubbing can flourish...I don't even know what to say about that. Even many fansubbers themselves have standards and try to avoid getting in the way of the industry.

actually i was brought in by four kids, there are plenty of kids level anime spin offs on cartoon network and such that will bring the youth in (not all of which was done by funimation, snickers at the patheticness of 4kids). if you've outgrown cartoons you probably won't find anime.
Jan 14, 2012 10:42 AM

Jun 2008
jmal said:
Not "get rid of R1 and fansubs will flourish" per se, only because fansubs are flourishing nicely already. But I can't think of a single negative impact that disappearance of R1 would have on fansubbing, and can think of a few things I'd personally find positive. So in that sense, if I could make R1 disappear for even minimal gain to fansubbing(*), I'd do it in a heartbeat and with no regrets. But for the most part, fansubs already control their own destiny, and R1 has fairly small control over that.

You know, you are not the only person the R1 market is supposed to cater to.

And on that "competition"/CR part, Funico does (or is supposed to, I don't know where they are this season) exist.

Yanoflies said:
The thing is, you talk about 'supporting the industry'. But Japan's anime industry is self-supportive. It's the Americans making the income through licensing. Japan does not make direct profit from licensing, and to be honest I have no idea why they still go through the trouble of doing so. I'm not an economist, nor do I have any statistics; but I'm pretty damn sure Japan's revenue from America is negligible.

This is totally naive. Obviously the American anime market is not bringing in mega profits for Japan, but putting it the way you do is just unfairly trying to justify hating the R1 market. If it wasn't worth it for Japanese companies to continue letting their titles be licensed, they wouldn't do it.

The only thing I'm thankful for the western anime industry, is for pissing me off and motivating me to learn Japanese so I don't have to rely on them. I mean common, picking up a novel, translating 2/9 of them and then discontinuing the project?

If sales are bad, what do you expect? Series get canceled for the same thing all over the world, whether it's the place of origin or not.

Hoppy said:
US anime industry will be changed by subs in Japanese releases and the US licensing will go extinct soon probably at the end of this year if things keep up.

*Lol*

TheLionVulture said:
actually i was brought in by four kids, there are plenty of kids level anime spin offs on cartoon network and such that will bring the youth in (not all of which was done by funimation, snickers at the patheticness of 4kids). if you've outgrown cartoons you probably won't find anime.

I did mention Pokemon, which was done by 4Kids.
Jan 14, 2012 10:59 AM

Apr 2010
And on that "competition"/CR part, Funico does (or is supposed to, I don't know where they are this season) exist.

With most of the Funico titles not even getting 500 views per episode last season (vs like 3-5k downloads for the rips of those episodes), I doubt we'll be seeing much more of Funico. That was a failed venture.

Jan 14, 2012 11:00 AM

Nov 2008
RyanSaotome said:

With most of the Funico titles not even getting 500 views per episode last season (vs like 3-5k downloads for the rips of those epiosdes), I doubt we'll be seeing much more of Funico. That was a failed venture.

Wasn't Funico deal experimental anyway.

Jan 14, 2012 11:18 AM

Sep 2010
Yanoflies said:

Scanslators and fansub groups do the same thing not just American companies. Same goes for other countries too if it don't sell well then they drop it and yes it will piss us off, but in the end its some of the fanbases fault for not buying it to begin with and instead leeching off fansubs/scans. If you really love your series or manga support it weither it be through the R1 industry or imports.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jan 14, 2012 12:17 PM

Feb 2009
I do not understand the big deal if someone owed you 8 million dollars wouldnt you try to get paid...shit.
Jan 14, 2012 12:55 PM

Jan 2010
.......what can I say that hasn't already been said? I don't even know what to make of this. Honestly.

I guess we can only hope for the best, whatever that means.
Jan 14, 2012 1:03 PM

Nov 2008
i'm speechless
Jan 14, 2012 1:19 PM

Apr 2009
This...is not what I was expecting to see in the news section today. Oh Funi...

Jan 14, 2012 1:30 PM

Nov 2008
Waffocopter said:
This...is not what I was expecting to see in the news section today. Oh Funi...

The North American Anime Industry is suffering.

Jan 14, 2012 1:32 PM

Jun 2007
I never trusted Funi anyway since I see this as a bleeding tactic.

Trying to sue torrent sites will only cause more rebellion and defiance as other sites can easily spout up to take the former's place. Like an old proverb, cut off one hydra's head and two appear in its place.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Jan 14, 2012 1:41 PM
Mar 2011
any smart person will back ADV is this case will
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jan 14, 2012 1:50 PM
Oct 2008
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-01-13/funimation-sues-a.d-vision-sentai-others-for-us$8-million

This is much better researched than that trunctuated thing in the OP.

Suffice it to say that Funimation is completely in the right here. Or did it pass your notice that ADV literally named their holding company after the Texas legal loophole they used?
Jan 14, 2012 1:51 PM

Jun 2008
jmal said:
Yes, and the less titles they get the better for me. I will not use their service, and every title they get is either a title CR can't have, or a title CR has to delay by a week or more (rendering it useless, because in most cases I won't have waited that long). Therefore, the existence of FuNico, such as it is, cannot be viewed as a positive for me, no matter which direction I look at it from.

Care to explain why? It's internet streaming/simulcasting just like CR. Why is it okay for CR but not Funico?

@above, that link is in the OP already. Yes, I condensed it.
Jan 14, 2012 1:57 PM

Nov 2008
Well this is just dandy :\
Jan 14, 2012 2:11 PM

Apr 2010
Redfoxoffire said:
jmal said:
Yes, and the less titles they get the better for me. I will not use their service, and every title they get is either a title CR can't have, or a title CR has to delay by a week or more (rendering it useless, because in most cases I won't have waited that long). Therefore, the existence of FuNico, such as it is, cannot be viewed as a positive for me, no matter which direction I look at it from.

Care to explain why? It's internet streaming/simulcasting just like CR. Why is it okay for CR but not Funico?

For me, its because Funico streams are some of the worst quality you can get. Very few are actually HD, and the ones that are like Guilty Crown has the wrong colors and its very bitrate starved. Crunchyroll, while not great, at least has very watchable 720p streams. They've also delayed higher quality CR streams a week, rendering them pointless.

It might be okay for some people, but I have standards on what I watch.

Jan 14, 2012 2:42 PM

Jul 2010
I hope Funi wins this. As someone who almost exclusively buys anime DVDs(besides 5 series) due to really really small bandwidth cap. Funimation makes up the majority of my collection. And as long as they keep bringing over enjoyable anime I will keep supporting them. If those companies owe them money then they should get what they deserve
Jan 14, 2012 7:27 PM

Aug 2011
Oh my god.
Jan 14, 2012 7:38 PM

Jul 2010
anyone care to make a TL;DR version of this??

Jan 14, 2012 7:51 PM

Dec 2009
Wow, wasn't expecting this...
Jan 14, 2012 7:54 PM

Jun 2008
supermegasonic said:

FUNimation Sues ADV, Sentai, and Others for US $8 Million.
Jan 14, 2012 8:59 PM

Aug 2011
EmperorH3ctor said:
Sanguis said:
The heck is going on with the American anime industry..? Everything seems to be falling apart all of a sudden.

It's looking that way. :(
I'm even shocked that this is happening 'cause I grew up on Funi and ADV. I've grown to like Sentai despite what the haters say.

*hard facepalm at some comments* I'm glad I passed business law a few months ago (and found myself loving it) because to those of you who are "demonizing"--for lack of a better word--FUNI for filing a lawsuit against the following parties for BREACH OF CONTRACT as stated in the article, let me explains what it means: when one or 2 or more parties are failing or have failed to comply to the terms of any sort in a WRITTEN contract, in general. The one party that feels cheated can sue the other party.

Think of it this way, if you give me your end of the bargain as written in contract and I don't (or fail to), you have the legal right to sue me. And if you have solid evidence to prove that, I lose and you win the case. It's that simple.

Now, all that Funi and the other parties need is solid evidence that prove the claims to be true. Again, written contracts would be the best source of evidence. If not, then Funi loses and Sentai don't have to pay squat. It's not about Funi trying to destroy Sentai (though I hope it doesn't turn out like that) or the competition so please, don't assume it is that just b/c you don't like Funi or simply biased against them. It's just taking legal action that they think is right against the parties not complying with their end of an agreement. This is how business law works! Sentai would've have done the same thing is some other company tried to hustle them. This could happen to any company as well.

On a note, I'm not defending both sides. Just stating the facts of what I've learned and how it may--not WILL--turn out in this situation for both parties given the evidence. If the accused parties did something wrong (or illegal, God forbid), that's their fault, not Funi's.

I hope this clears some misunderstandings and notions of the "big guy picking on the little guy".
Problem is that it doesn't sound like FUNi doesn't have shit for proof, and Sentai and friends actually have a decent defense.

Exkalamity said:
I think more people than you realize already are aware of what you said. From the original news post, I vaguely gather that Funi is largely pulling this accusation out of their ass. Funimation's accusation seems to stand on shakey ground (the whole bit about redistributing the assets with malicious intent and what not. The malicious intent has to be established and proven first,) and ADV's rebuttal seems quite sound. I think most of the readers were able to pull that vibe from the post and thus respond harshly towards Funi.
^^^ Oh someone beat me to it.

Redfoxoffire said:
RyanSaotome said:
Yanoflies said:

EDIT:

And the people who actually like English dubs...

dsister said:
I hope Funi wins this. As someone who almost exclusively buys anime DVDs(besides 5 series) due to really really small bandwidth cap. Funimation makes up the majority of my collection. And as long as they keep bringing over enjoyable anime I will keep supporting them. If those companies owe them money then they should get what they deserve
Duh... what? News flash: FUNi isn't the only company making R1 releases. And if you can read, it's very likely that they're just being greedy and trying to monopolize the R1 anime industry.
Jan 14, 2012 9:31 PM

Nov 2010
What is it with america and suing?
Jan 14, 2012 9:41 PM

Sep 2009
Totally being greedy and all.

ADV: Hey wanna buy this car.
Funi:Okay, that would be awesome.
ADV: Thanks for the money. By the way im actually keeping the car and just giving you the engine. Even though the contract clearly states you bought the car and the engine and everything else.
Funi: We done been hoodwinked.
ADV:Fucking sucker. TROLOLOLOLOL.
Funi: -waits for a length of time before responding to it for some stupid and strange reason-

TL/DR version.
Jan 14, 2012 9:44 PM

Sep 2009
Also.
MAL's legion of retarded weabos grows stronger.

I bet you guys think SOPA is all about trying to take away anime from you too.
=3
Jan 14, 2012 10:13 PM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
kkslider5552000 said:

this should be fun

LOL XDDDD HAHAHAHA

-----------------

What the hell FUNimation? Come on now....I will see if I can be in the court room.
Jan 14, 2012 11:52 PM

Oct 2011
supermegasonic said:

#1: Funimation apparently became a creditor of ADV for a debt owed to ARM corp.
#2: Funimation claims that ADV hasn't paid this debt back, instead they've sold assets wiith the intent of fraud to ADV creditors.
#3: Funimation wants those assets transfered as void, in order to restore the funding lost.
#4: ADV counterclaim = there is no contract with ARM corp. between them and Funimation, if this is true and can be proven in court, Funimation's claim will not hold up.
Jan 15, 2012 9:54 AM

Apr 2010
Sh!t just got serious. 0.o
Jan 15, 2012 11:20 AM

Jul 2010
Redfoxoffire said:
supermegasonic said:

FUNimation Sues ADV, Sentai, and Others for US $8 Million.

*facepalm* lol i get that part, i meant why though.

Aritha said:
supermegasonic said:

#1: Funimation apparently became a creditor of ADV for a debt owed to ARM corp.
#2: Funimation claims that ADV hasn't paid this debt back, instead they've sold assets wiith the intent of fraud to ADV creditors.
#3: Funimation wants those assets transfered as void, in order to restore the funding lost.
#4: ADV counterclaim = there is no contract with ARM corp. between them and Funimation, if this is true and can be proven in court, Funimation's claim will not hold up.

hmm, i see, thx, now i'm beginning to to understand the situation.

Jan 15, 2012 11:51 AM

Jul 2010
DraconisMarch said:

dsister said:
Duh... what? News flash: FUNi isn't the only company making R1 releases. And if you can read, it's very likely that they're just being greedy and trying to monopolize the R1 anime industry.
I know that they aren't the only publisher of anime in R1... And I'm sure Funi just wants to throw away millions of dollars pushing a lawsuit that they know is flimsy... oh wait That's dumb. If I ran a company and another company tried to get out of paying me 8 million dollars you can bet your ass I would try to get it back. I really don't get all the Funi hate on this site T_T
Jan 15, 2012 12:29 PM

Dec 2009
Redfoxoffire said:
Care to explain why? It's internet streaming/simulcasting just like CR. Why is it okay for CR but not Funico?.

Funimation's policy is "Fuck the rest of the world. USA number 1"

Crunchyroll actually tries to get rights to stream titles to other parts of the world. But sometimes Funimation puts it's ugly mug in between and STOPS any kind of chances for non US people to watch legally some series.

That attitude pisses me off atleast.

That is also why I happily pay the premium fee to Crunchyroll every month. They usually deserve my money for actually caring about other people than the oh so holy Americans.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Servamp' Ends in December 2024

DatRandomDude - Jul 11

4 by LadyMarble »»
3 hours ago

» Yukihiro Shibutani, Art Director of 'Natsume Yuujinchou', Dies at 63

Vindstot - 5 hours ago

2 by DioBrando_69420 »»
4 hours ago

» 'Okinawa de Suki ni Natta Ko ga Hougen Sugite Tsurasugiru' Reveals Supporting Cast, Second Promo

DatRandomDude - 7 hours ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
7 hours ago

» TOHO Acquires GKIDS, Expanding Global Animation Influence

Vindstot - Oct 15

26 by EcchiGodMamster »»
7 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Season 2 Reveals New Cast, Staff, Teaser Promo for April 2025

Nioxys - Oct 13

8 by MegamiRem »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.