Forum Settings
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 22, 2009 9:25 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Ugh, that was brutal. More brutal than anything in Berserk or anything of that ilk. Its because Vinland Saga's atrocities are reality-based, whereas other manga usually are more fantastical.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Jun 9, 2009 3:12 AM

Oct 2008
Yeah, definitely cringe-worthy.
On another note, I love how Vinland Saga is (well I assume it is) historically accurate - or at least it comes across as being that way. It adds to the realism factor, and it makes you feel as though you can relate to it more in a way.
Jun 9, 2009 3:57 AM
Jun 20, 2009 5:24 PM

Apr 2008
Beatnik said:
Ugh, that was brutal. More brutal than anything in Berserk or anything of that ilk. Its because Vinland Saga's atrocities are reality-based, whereas other manga usually are more fantastical.

I totally agree, very brutal & very realistic is what makes it even worse.......
"Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that"
Jan 9, 2010 11:18 PM

Nov 2009
Ouch! harsh... and that must've sucked to have been the girl who witnessed that slaughter... but I wonder why the leader of the Danes is a christian. I just thought of it but it makes no sense, I mean why would his mother have any say in his religion.
Jan 9, 2010 11:37 PM

Dec 2009
Pirating_Ninja said:
Ouch! harsh... and that must've sucked to have been the girl who witnessed that slaughter... but I wonder why the leader of the Danes is a christian. I just thought of it but it makes no sense, I mean why would his mother have any say in his religion.

Nov 9, 2010 4:40 PM

Jul 2010
The whole village getting slaughtered and Thorfinn doesn't care,no expression. kinda funny he is the protagonist LoL
Jan 5, 2011 7:13 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Beatnik said:

Also, you have to know the ideology was different at that time. Human lives are not worth that much at that time, where survival of the fittest is everything. Compassion and love and all those concept only become prevalent when some of these basic survival needs are satisfied.

So it was not really that shocking given the historical context. It is what it is... It's my own nihilistic view but once again, it's just an objective view on things.
wakka9caJan 5, 2011 8:13 PM
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Aug 2, 2012 8:50 AM

Mar 2012
Berserk is way above epic... this manga cant even be compared to it.
Feb 3, 2013 6:51 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Excellent, excellent chapter. Gruesome and brutal, just like the Middle Ages were, specially if you were poor.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 17, 2014 8:02 AM

Nov 2011
Oh god, that girl's innocence is gone

Sep 21, 2014 11:52 AM
Jul 2014
Absolutely brutal but realistic. It saddens me that stuff like this occurred back then and still occurs even today.
Jan 26, 2016 4:36 AM

Dec 2013
That was brutal. Wonder if we are ever to going to see that chick again.
Feb 7, 2017 12:11 PM

Oct 2014
It would have sucked hard to be one of those villagers, just trying to get by and to have even that meager existence stolen from you. But I suppose that's just how the times were back then (and still are to some extent).
Feb 26, 2017 11:07 AM

Dec 2015
Tenth said:
The whole village getting slaughtered and Thorfinn doesn't care,no expression. kinda funny he is the protagonist LoL

Haha you're right but I think this is still not as bad as when he glossed over the woman being gang raped in the shed
Feb 26, 2017 11:26 AM

Dec 2015
I understand people wanting to compare it to Berserk but I don't think the comparison makes any sense at all in this case.

This chapter of Vinland saga might've been brutal but mostly because it is a realistic occurrence and we know that work is based on history (not too accurately but the point stands). We feel terrified because we know that something like this could happen in our reality / did happen in our history.
The characters are supposed to be normal humans like us, which makes it that much more frightening when we have to wonder if we could commit those crimes or what would happen if we were attacked like this.

When Berserk is brutal and terrifying (take the Eclipse as an example) it's almost always accompanied by the strong fantasy level and the author depicts everything artistically as something we don't see in reality (I'm talking about the countless demons, landscapes of hell etc.). There is a lot of exaggeration for the sake of visualization of feelings and in order to demonstrate the abstract horror but there are no blood pinatas or cheap mind numbing shallow tricks to get a rise out of the reader.

It doesn't aim for realistic horror, so if you say it's better than Berserk because it's more brutal in your eyes, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
You CAN compare them, but they don't compete in the same category, so it'd be pointless to judge their overall quality by something like this.

In general, Berserk is not just good because of the brutal and dark elements!
Although part of the fanbase reduces it to that, you would be completely missing the point of Berserk and its story, if you were to dismiss it like that.
Sep 10, 2017 11:09 AM

Mar 2017
I really don't understand how people compare this to Berserk. The only comparison is how they both contain gore.
Oct 15, 2017 2:55 PM
Jul 2018
It still amazes me how this series never once feels edgy.
It doesn't zoom in and try to be as gory as possible, it just...shows what actually happened. Nothing more, nothing less.
I don't get though why the Wales guy didn't protest, or the Prince's caretaker.
Mar 22, 2018 9:29 PM

Mar 2014
I kind of like how the protangist isn't a goody two shoes, while I don't think he's completely heartless since he doesn't participate in the atrocities himself. He definitely feel numb to everything going on around him.
Jan 15, 2019 1:22 PM

Oct 2014
The slaughtering of the village was so fucked up
Jul 6, 2019 4:47 PM

Mar 2018
huntx said:
Berserk is way above epic... this manga cant even be compared to it.
i know you are talking about the anime, but its still hilarious how you said then then gave the berserk manga a 6 and this a 10, nothing against you just hilarious
Jul 15, 2019 10:37 AM
Jun 2015
Does Anne have any significance in the story other than this scene? Does she ever show up again within the next 140+ chapters or so?
mike09102Jul 15, 2019 12:16 PM
Oct 18, 2019 6:43 AM

Apr 2016
Fucking breathtaking.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | watch anime online
π = 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944592307816406286208998628034825342117067982148086513
Jun 21, 6:17 AM

Mar 2016
Reply to wakka9ca
Beatnik said:

Also, you have to know the ideology was different at that time. Human lives are not worth that much at that time, where survival of the fittest is everything. Compassion and love and all those concept only become prevalent when some of these basic survival needs are satisfied.

So it was not really that shocking given the historical context. It is what it is... It's my own nihilistic view but once again, it's just an objective view on things.
@wakka9ca
wakka9ca said:
Human lives are not worth that much at that time, where survival of the fittest is everything.

No, it's not, survival of the fittest is not a medieval concept at all, it's a 19th century concept.

wakka9ca said:
Compassion and love and all those concept only become prevalent when some of these basic survival needs are satisfied.

Nah, not really. IRL Thorkell the Tall switched sides by this point and converted to Christianity by this point due to his failure to prevent the death of a bishop whom his men killed when he went raiding over a drunken bet with Sweyn. He was not a wandering monster. People were real and had real feelings back then. Our focus on bad stuff is, in part, because it sticks out.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 214 Discussion

otakuweek - Sep 24

15 by Odabrani »»
Sep 26, 5:06 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 213 Discussion

TheMangaManiac - Aug 25

16 by Ranxomare »»
Sep 11, 10:50 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 212 Discussion

TheMangaManiac - Jun 25

26 by Unkrowned »»
Sep 4, 3:33 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 191 Discussion ( 1 2 )

BigPPFumiya - Feb 25, 2022

78 by Unkrowned »»
Sep 4, 2:11 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Chapter 172 Discussion

Stark700 - May 24, 2020

39 by Unkrowned »»
Sep 3, 3:54 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.