Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 12, 2011 11:28 AM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Aw, back when Goku didn't know anything of the world other than the forest he lived in. His innocence was pretty funny, actually there were a lot of funny moments! Goku asking about the rubies and Oolong disguised as Bulma were my favorites XD

Well as someone who only watched the end of Dragon Ball, I really enjoyed this movie. It was fun seeing how they all met, even if there were any changes. The story and ending sucked though :/
Jan 21, 2012 2:52 AM

Aug 2009
lol they skipped almost everything and I felt it was poorly directed. 4/10
Jun 2, 2012 8:28 AM

Jan 2010
Pansy looks like Snow from TV 1986 O_____O
Nov 15, 2013 6:20 AM

May 2012
They sure cropped a whole lot in this 50 minutes it was quite interesting that they had a whole other organization of bad guys that almost actually managed to steal the dragon balls from them and also a new supporting character which seemed quite lovely!

Either way lets see what the second movie is all about!
Dec 5, 2013 3:05 PM

Jun 2009
Man, it's really jarring watching the English dub of this coming straight off the back of watching 140 episodes of Dragon Ball in about a week and a half in English. Even though I watched Kai in English and know the new voice actors (Colleen Clinkenbeard -> Kid Goku/Kid Gohan, Bryan Massey -> Oolong and Monica Rial > Bulma) I wasn't expecting to hear them in a Dragon Ball movie, I had no idea that this was re-dubbed. Anyway, this movie was preeeeeeety average. In every respect imaginable.
loghneckbeardDec 5, 2013 3:20 PM
Jan 15, 2014 6:58 AM

Jan 2013
Well this seems to be something like the series. I would suggest people to not watch this but if they really want to then after the DB season as it's the same thing, starts the same way has the same story just different enemy and different ending also feels rushed and a bit annoying. Oh and it includes spoilers in a way.
5/10.
Jan 18, 2014 9:43 PM

Oct 2009
Tyestor said:
Anyway, this movie was preeeeeeety average. In every respect imaginable.

Well I found it pretty decent actually. Those who watched DB series should understand what is happening perfectly, so there's no reason to hinder over the plot. They kept the idea but remade some of the moments in interesting way. The animation was good, just as expected from the film, and it managed to keep the light-hearted mood of the original series, so I really enjoyed it

ao_no_exo said:
also feels rushed and a bit annoying.

I'd rather say that it's not overextended. The high pace makes it all the more interesting and entertaining

Misaola said:
Pansy looks like Snow from TV 1986 O_____O

And Pasta has the same red ink on her eaves as Mai
SerhiykoJan 18, 2014 10:15 PM
Feb 15, 2014 9:16 PM

Dec 2013
It felt extremely strange hearing those new voice actors compared to the ones from the original Dragon Ball. Overall this was decent for the first movie and it was interesting how they remade some of the events that took place in Dragon Ball. Kinda enjoyed it. 5/10
Mar 21, 2014 7:57 AM

Jun 2009
It's pretty rare for me to have not much to say, but I really don't here. There is really no point in watching this, it rushes through things too much in a way that would probably turn off those who've seen the series and those who haven't in equal measure.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 21, 2014 3:24 PM

Oct 2009
insan3Spectre said:
There is really no point in watching this, it rushes through things too much in a way that would probably turn off those who've seen the series and those who haven't in equal measure.

I disagree completely. I already know the story, so no need in retelling it again in detail. Instead, the film takes the original story as basis but changes some of the events, so those who watched the series understand what is happening and just enjoy alternative setting. Me at least
Mar 25, 2014 11:22 AM
Jan 2014
Skipped a lot of what happened in the first saga of DB and would've preferred the version I had to be the original DB voices. Otherwise pretty good 50 min run through of the first saga of DB.
Aug 10, 2014 10:13 AM

Oct 2013
wasn't to bad for me
jsut got finished watching all the dbz movies now i'm watching the dragon ball ones
sucks how they are all in an alternate universe or a different setting from the real storey but still amusing
[/quote]
Feb 2, 2015 5:50 PM

Feb 2014
This was pretty good, could have been a lot better but it was quite funny and Goku is awesome.
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
Oct 12, 2015 9:12 AM
Sep 2007
FarawayStar said:
It felt extremely strange hearing those new voice actors compared to the ones from the original Dragon Ball. Overall this was decent for the first movie and it was interesting how they remade some of the events that took place in Dragon Ball. Kinda enjoyed it. 5/10
What new voice actors?

All of them are the same from the original series.
Oct 13, 2015 9:06 AM

Oct 2009
Fenrir said:
What new voice actors?

All of them are the same from the original series.

He means from the English dub
Nov 18, 2015 5:39 AM

Aug 2013
The movie was alright. The different dubbed voices didn't bother me.

6/10
Apr 12, 2019 3:44 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
Pretty average movie though it was nice to see Goku as a little kid again ( I am currently in the DragonBall Z saga somwhere half way through).
And oh boy the Rock - Paper - Scissors game scene I laughed waaay to much xD

Jan 1, 2020 5:21 PM

Oct 2013
Very cute alternative setting of the beginning of Son Goku's journey. Too bad it felt rushed, but what to expect from 50 minutes long movie covering a lot of material about Son Goku's first adventures with Bulma and others.
Feb 22, 2020 6:30 PM
Jan 2020
coming straight off of the first arc of the show i really didn't like this. just a worse version of the first arc with changes. i did like some of the changes though like having yamucha go straight to roshi and oolong doing something thats definitely more in character when he turns into bulma, which felt like it should've been in the show but whatever.
May 17, 2020 5:51 PM
Jul 2018
Well, that was an interesting view. Completely different voice actors from the original series, I didn't expect that. While these new voices do decently enough to get by, I very much prefer the original ones, especially Oolong's sassy way of speaking. And from the looks of it, this Pansy character looks an identical copy to Sonu from the Red Ribbon Army saga. I think most likely they renamed her, to fit in this alternative setting, probably. And they even remodeled her father. He sure has different looks and style in this movie, quite the fun changes to take notice of.

From the looks of it, this movie is a complete alternate retelling of the first saga, the Pilaf Saga, and the Red Ribbon Army saga all cramped in a 50-minute movie. It is understandable why this would feel rushed by other people. And to an extent, I could say the same, yes. But still, I had a bit of fun with it. It was charming in its own simple way. The animation and art style felt a bit more polished, so it has that going for itself.

I will most likely give it a 6. It was an average, alright movie.

On a side note, that was one hell of a Kamehameha wave by Master Roshi. Powerful as ever and what a sight it was for the naked eyes.
removed-userMay 17, 2020 5:57 PM
Oct 5, 2020 6:50 AM

Nov 2018
The artwork and animation looks like it step up a bit, but the voice acting and mixing for the dub was really bad and ruined my enjoyment of this movie.

Is it me or is the audio for the dub that's available online just overlaid on top of the subbed version?

The opening song was really good ngl. ED was decent as well.

Overall, this was rushed given it's short time span with the amount of content that was packed in it. 5/10

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Jul 24, 2021 4:43 PM

Nov 2016
Didn't know that this was a retelling of the first arc. A pretty meh one at that.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 25, 2022 7:56 AM

Nov 2020
lol they skipped almost everything and I felt it was poorly directed. 3/10

Pretty rushed and boring.
Aug 4, 2023 6:39 AM

Oct 2017
The movie needed 20-30 minutes more, but still it was fun. 
Dec 26, 2023 12:36 PM
May 2018
why did they have to show Bulma's boobs up close she's 16
Mar 17, 4:55 AM

Nov 2010
Guess I'm rewatching these.

It's interesting to go with a retelling of the story. The later Dragon Ball Z-movies are all non-cannon anyway, so I prefer it just being set in a clear alternate universe like this.

It does suffer because of it's length, trying to fit in all the important characters and story bits. The first arc of the series is very episodic which is difficult to do in 50 minutes and this feels a bit like a clip show. Could definitely have been a full feature length film, or cut some of the characters. The introduction of Oolong, Yamcha and Puar is especially bad.

The original main plot is pretty good. Takes a few notes from the Red Ribbon Army arc with the soldiers and saving a young girls village. The king was really disgusting and his design is great, especially when he's done all in shadows.

Master Roshi using Kamehameha to blow up a battleship is one of the best changes. Really shows how powerful the attack is.
Mar 27, 12:18 AM

Aug 2012
I rather appreciate this sort of alternate universe take on the first arc. I'd rather a completely unique story but if they're going the recap route, I'm glad they didn't make it so 1 to1. I've already read the manga, and it's not like it's a long read anyway, so I much rather them do it this way because it's kind of fun to see how they're recontextualizing the big moments from the opening chapters to fit within this new narrative. It is pretty slapdash, and compared to the original version of the events, it's definitely a downgrade, but still I thought it was kinda novel. It was already mentioned, but the Roshi using his Kamehameha on that battleship was a really cool change, definitely a highlight.

As for the original story, I don't really care for it. Pansy feels a bit like a cliché, I thought the action sequences when we got to the actual palace were mostly pretty lame, and the ending wish makes sense for the story but doesn't begin to compare to the funny resolution of the original story. That, along with not having Great Ape, made the finale of this movie rather underwhelming and kind of perfunctory. I will say one thing I do like, is that technically Bulma's the one to defeat the big bad of the film. Dragon Ball proper has a nasty habit of having Goku do pretty much everything, so letting Bulma really be the hero here was kind of nice. 6/10. 5/10.

*Edit*

I originally scored this a 6/10 but after a bit more time away from it, I think it's closer to a 5 for me. Possible that I could change my mind again, I'm not going to update this every-time, but I do think my dislike of most of the original story does dampen this for me enough to go down to a 5. I will say I do like Goku giving Pasta the coin back at the end to offset the negativity. But yeah, 5/10.
TerrestriousMar 27, 2:12 AM

More topics from this board

» Did anybody notice they didn't even use the correct voices?

xEPICFAILx - Aug 16, 2009

8 by Goatee »»
Jul 22, 2023 8:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.