Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 29, 2008 1:03 PM
May 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Aw, the little kid got killed. :(

It looked like that guy with the necklace had a pretty ticked off look in his eye at the end of the episode. I'm wondering if there wasn't more to him. It almost looked like the monster/proxy was going to embrace him there at the end. And what was that necklace doing there in Re-l's apartment? So many more questions keep arising!
Aug 20, 2008 2:45 PM

Aug 2007
Maybe because the guy was the other monster/proxy thingy that popped into Real's apartment? :P

Felli disapproves of this thread.
Sep 1, 2008 11:55 PM

Jan 2008
Very good episode. I guess the guy being chased is the other proxy who was in Re-l's apartment the other night.
Sep 2, 2008 2:20 AM

Aug 2007
Vincent's expression is quite funny sometimes lol!
Sep 15, 2008 8:11 PM

Jan 2008
Vincent was kind of mysterious from the start. Maybe he's "awakened" as was written on her mirror.
Oct 4, 2008 7:36 AM

Jun 2008
I'm not understanding anything but it's interesting XD
Jan 1, 2009 2:32 PM
Sep 2008
I love the brainwashing :P Everyone got to consume more :-)
Jan 1, 2009 3:52 PM

Aug 2007
Lakitu said:

Me too, they really develop the feeling that a 'civilization' exists in Ergo Proxy. It's convincing
Feb 2, 2009 8:45 PM

Aug 2008
That was one hc massacre
May 19, 2009 5:23 PM

May 2008
The lady with the baby in the stroller traveling with child AutoReiv in the escalator is Raul's wife right? I think she was the one that Kristeva reminded Raul earlier in the episode that he had to "meet".

Why did Raul not do anything when the Proxy who was chasing Vincent was killing and maiming people and AutoReivs around them? He even saw what happened to his wife and child, why did he just stand there? It was Kristeva who kept shaking him. Are the people of Romdo that insensitive or are they just devoid of emotion, incapable of any feelings?
"We practice selective annihilation of mayors and government officials, for example, to create a vacuum, then we fill that vacuum. As popular war advances, peace is closer"
May 27, 2009 2:42 AM

Dec 2008
Leibstandarte said:
The lady with the baby in the stroller traveling with child AutoReiv in the escalator is Raul's wife right? I think she was the one that Kristeva reminded Raul earlier in the episode that he had to "meet".

Why did Raul not do anything when the Proxy who was chasing Vincent was killing and maiming people and AutoReivs around them? He even saw what happened to his wife and child, why did he just stand there? It was Kristeva who kept shaking him. Are the people of Romdo that insensitive or are they just devoid of emotion, incapable of any feelings?

they probably think of humans as disposable - i think someone in the last ep mentioned something like that.
that's probably why he didn't do anything, that or he was frozen with fear.

and now its becoming full of theories pointing towards conspiracy.
I am really starting to like this series.
and the ending song only helps. (lol like how the name of the ed song matches one theme of the anime)

enkilMay 27, 2009 2:54 AM
May 28, 2009 7:35 AM

May 2008
After re-watching it again, I've to say that it was SHOCK on Raul's part that's why he "froze" on the spot when he saw his wife and child murdered. Kristeva's shaking him and calling his attention convinced me that he was so shocked.

I also assume that life in Romdeau is so sterile and uneventful that such a crime was too much for a person to handle. My clue were also the other people in the mall, few ran as the Proxy rampaged through them.
"We practice selective annihilation of mayors and government officials, for example, to create a vacuum, then we fill that vacuum. As popular war advances, peace is closer"
May 1, 2010 1:16 PM

Jul 2009
I'm definitely loving the mystery aspect so far, I haven't really watched enough mystery anime. Of course, the violence was epic but the added intrigue of what Proxy actually is makes it all the more awesome.
Jun 1, 2010 12:13 PM

Jan 2010
kie_ said:
me too lol
btw, poor kid and woman D: and the ED song is catchy, wow o_o
Oct 5, 2010 2:17 PM

Aug 2010
Man am i loving this show. The brainwashing, iggy being controlled, the Bureaux....it's all coming out well.
Oct 30, 2010 11:58 PM

Mar 2009
It would make sense that Vincent was the other Proxy that came in and saved her, the night before. But im not sure.
I wonder whats going to happen now.

Also that poor baby & lady got killed, that sucked. v_v
ShinobiCJOct 31, 2010 12:13 AM

Nov 6, 2010 3:24 AM
Jun 2008
I'm loving the conspiracy aspect of the show so far :>. So sad that the woman and baby died though.
Dec 6, 2010 1:12 AM

Oct 2009
I guessed right!(?)The other PROXY is Vincent!
Poor baby and lady D:
I am loving this, dark, mysterious atmosphere!
Jan 11, 2011 9:04 PM
Apr 2010
You've gotta love the Odessa step sequence. The stroller falling down the stairs is straight out of the most famous scene from Sergei Eisenstein's 1925 film "Battleship Potemkin". It's always funny to see homages like that in anime.

I watched the first episode a few weeks ago, so when I got to the end of this one, I had forgotten that the ED song was Paranoid Android. Love it!
Feb 6, 2011 3:17 AM

Apr 2009
imchairmanm said:
You've gotta love the Odessa step sequence. The stroller falling down the stairs is straight out of the most famous scene from Sergei Eisenstein's 1925 film "Battleship Potemkin". It's always funny to see homages like that in anime.

Well for me it was "The Untouchables" because I haven't seen "Battleship Potemkin" yet. Since you mentioned it and I got curious, I did a little web digging and it seems "The Untouchables" stairs scene (and among other films to my surprise) is also homage to the Odessa step sequence from "Battleship Potemkin". Something new everyday. :D
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Mar 5, 2011 4:37 AM

Oct 2009
Okay then...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Oct 2009
Okay then...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Oct 2009
Okay then...
Apr 14, 2011 7:07 PM

Aug 2010
It completely reminds me of i-robot/minority report.
I hope its much better :)
Apr 27, 2011 12:56 PM

Mar 2011
Wakka Wakka Boom Boom.
Aug 3, 2011 11:24 AM

Feb 2009
This was a really hardcore episode, and the story is so fucked-up, in the good sense! I'm Confused at this point, but at the same time, interested.
Jan 22, 2012 11:11 PM

Mar 2011
kie_ said:

I decided to give the English dub a try. Given that this show is so visually driven, it can be very tough to follow along with subtitles. I found the dub to be much easier to follow and helped me enjoy it much more.
Aug 26, 2012 6:59 PM

May 2012
This anime confuses me, the story is starting off weird but well it's interesting!
Oct 4, 2012 11:03 AM

May 2010
Another great episode. Killing people like that even infants means serious business.
Oct 20, 2012 4:00 AM

Oct 2012
Awesome animation..Understood a little more about the first one...This Anime gonna be awesome..It sure as hell ain't gonna be dropped
-------Only God will judge me --------

iSignature
Jan 18, 2013 9:52 PM

Dec 2012
It's obvious as to who the Proxy really is. And the baby is not exactly their child either. I remember is was said to be sent from the government, hmm...
Feb 2, 2013 2:18 AM

Jan 2012
Well the Proxy did a good number on those people. A rather brutal episode.

Mar 9, 2013 12:29 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
ownosourus said:

Very brutal indeed O_O the proxy used the people to jump off of them to accelerate or something...and Raul's wife and "child" died, and I guess the child AutoReiv got infected with the virus. I can't believe he just stood there and watched. I don't care if he was shocked, even afterwards he didn't show as much emotion as I thought he should have.

All the conspiracy. Poor Re-l, it's tough for someone who is telling the truth yet everyone else doesn't believe it because fucking government is erasing every trace and trying to diagnose her with some kind of mental illness =_= And then that ending. What? Vincent? Just--I don't even know. But I'm loving this.
Mar 17, 2013 5:10 PM

Dec 2012
tingy said:
ownosourus said:

Very brutal indeed O_O the proxy used the people to jump off of them to accelerate or something...and Raul's wife and "child" died, and I guess the child AutoReiv got infected with the virus. I can't believe he just stood there and watched. I don't care if he was shocked, even afterwards he didn't show as much emotion as I thought he should have.

All the conspiracy. Poor Re-l, it's tough for someone who is telling the truth yet everyone else doesn't believe it because fucking government is erasing every trace and trying to diagnose her with some kind of mental illness =_= And then that ending. What? Vincent? Just--I don't even know. But I'm loving this.

It wasn't that Raul was heartless, it was his job to remain calm and make a plan to secure the area and keep people safe. People do this in real life. If a person in a position like that were to freak out over their families death while a crises is still active then it would vent off to everyone else that the leader has lost all hope and the world is in anarchy.(I hope I explained that best)

This is such a great series.
BrandonMay 8, 2017 11:01 AM
Apr 15, 2013 9:58 AM
Oct 2012
I don't think anyone payed attention on the sheet Re-l was holding in the very first episode about Vincent... but there it says that Vincent has blue eyes, when it is actually green.
Right?
Apr 28, 2013 2:10 PM

Jan 2012
Since Re-l found the necklace at her house I wonder if Vincent is the other Proxy
Apr 29, 2013 8:34 AM

Dec 2012
This was a clarifying episode, indeed xD
I also think that Vicent might be other Proxy and I wonder why Ergo Proxy and Lil cried when they saw each other
May 19, 2013 3:20 PM

Jan 2013
Alright episode, this is making me sleepy though
Jun 25, 2013 3:35 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Great episode. I really like the setting, the story and the characters. And I love the homage to Battleship Potiemkin/The Untouchables with the steps sequence.

On the downside, the animation can be pretty uneven at times.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 21, 2013 6:10 AM

Mar 2013
My guess is that proxies (or proxys) are somewhat "gods" for the autoreivs, thats why that little girl was praying while her "mother" got massacred.
Oct 12, 2013 4:59 PM

Jan 2012
so looking like vincent is the other proxy? still have loads of questions and his wife dying and the baby was horrible wasn't sure why he was just stood there until the autoreiv started shaking him i assume he was in shock? anyway even though im confused as hell i am enjoying so far nice action and atmosphere, and best of all plot which i know will flesh out and (hopefully) give me answers as we go along
Oct 13, 2013 12:21 PM

Dec 2012
For some reason, I really like Vincent, even though I've only watched two episodes.
Oct 24, 2013 4:47 PM
Jul 2012
Pretty interesting episode.
Didn't know that the people forgot what the mystery does Re-l talking about.
That mall scene was quite tense! And that girl is acting really suspicious after that guy just avoid getting ram to the family. Best part of this episode.
So, still wanting to know what is the proxy and I think that man who is trying to kill the black hair dude is the proxy.Want to know what is the evidence behind it.
5/5
Nov 3, 2013 11:31 AM

Nov 2009
Brutal . . . Anyways I'm looking forward to the next episode, I kind of guessed that Vincent was putting on some "weak guy" front . . . I mean his name is Vincent Law . . .
Nov 7, 2013 11:46 PM

Oct 2013
I am seriously worried about those pedestrian walkways that seem to be about 3-4 metres across and have no hand-rail and just a drop off the edge. Those are frightening.

That rampage was absolutely nuts, and Re-I is having some problems with her head.

Let's see how this show pans out!
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Nov 7, 2013 11:47 PM

Oct 2013
puedjies said:
Lakitu said:

Me too, they really develop the feeling that a 'civilization' exists in Ergo Proxy. It's convincing

even though its so fucked up
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Nov 8, 2013 11:14 PM

Oct 2013
so the woman and child that got killed , are they Raul's family?
Jan 18, 2014 10:36 AM

Sep 2013
So much evidence supporting my theory that Vincent is one of the proxy that were in Re-l's apartment , there is the fact that the proxy that was in close quarters with Re-l touched her lips gently showing some sort of affection and there is also the idea that the other proxy was going to embrace him at the end of this episode as he had no escape , What I also found interesting was that when Re-l was looking the remains at the end in that place she had stepped on and broke a glass and also saw her reflection in broken glass , in Greek lore all that is a sign of her demise , could this really be the case? I hope not , I have grown to love her character and hope to see alot more of her , I LOVE YOU RE-L MAYER!
Feb 14, 2014 3:51 AM
Dec 2010
i can't get over the sound track and effects for this series. they do such an amazing job creating a horror atmosphere filled with apprehension, fear, and suspense. Even the foot steps are somber. brilliant. awe inspiring.

it's interesting the consistent rhetoric that is screened through the town is similar to the structuring of a first world capitalistic society: consumption and waste, incentive by patriotism.
disposibility comes up as a theme- both in people and things/autoreivs.
Feb 14, 2014 3:54 AM
Dec 2010
Rykyr said:
My guess is that proxies (or proxys) are somewhat "gods" for the autoreivs, thats why that little girl was praying while her "mother" got massacred.

in the first episode, Lil comments on the arbitrary use of prayer from the autoreivs before their death, before her knowledge of the proxies. the series indicated that once infected in incogito, the autoreivs develop an Ego- thus they take on the human practice of prayer? that is an interesting concept, i wonder if your guess is correct!
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Ergo Proxy Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Aokaado - Dec 27, 2006

238 by WatchTillTandava »»
Jun 7, 3:28 AM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

xel - May 31, 2008

94 by RGreatDanton »»
May 22, 9:42 PM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

xel - May 28, 2008

152 by RGreatDanton »»
May 22, 10:13 AM

Poll: » Why do people seem to not like Ergo Proxy?

TheGuiltMan - Nov 28, 2020

41 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 30, 12:12 AM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WinterNightsFall - Aug 20, 2008

78 by yojuno »»
Mar 26, 10:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.