Forum Settings
Forums

Can someone explain why JJK & Demon Slayer get such high praise?

New
3 hours ago

Apr 2018
Hey all,

I've recently been trying to watch the most popular animes released in the least 4-5 years or so (to catch up on the seasonal stuff I usually miss), which resulted in me giving Jujutsu Kaisen and Demon Slayer a chance.

What baffles me is how these shows managed to build such large fan bases, and get such high praise, despite being average or even below average (in my view), and that's what I'm trying to understand.

The worst offender is clearly Demon Slayer. I sat through the first season, having enjoyed Ufotable's previous works, hoping that it would eventually get interesting, but it didn't. The characters are awfully boring and annoying, the plot is extremely generic and predicitible - the only saving grace is the animation/OST. How come it has 8.5 on MAL?

Jujutsu is not as bad, but it is pretty generic in its own sense (at least from what I've seen). Another high-school anime about teens with powers fighting demons. That wasn't enough to keep my attention, not to mention MAPPA's ""cinematic"" style of presentation, which just looks flat and lifeless to me.

What is it that I'm not seeing??

Get Louder than Words ~The Story of a Field Trip, a personal project of mine, on Steam!
3 hours ago

Oct 2013
They are enjoyable, their audiovisual quality is high, so they are fun to watch and people like them, which in return causes them to be anime that receive high praise for the general audience. As shrimple as that.
3 hours ago

May 2019
Shonen jump series always get showered with praise be it deserved or undeserved.
3 hours ago

Feb 2020
People tend to like popular stuff, like, GoT, Tarantino movies, FMAB, etc.
3 hours ago

Apr 2018
Reply to Adnash
They are enjoyable, their audiovisual quality is high, so they are fun to watch and people like them, which in return causes them to be anime that receive high praise for the general audience. As shrimple as that.
@Adnash

I can usually sit through your average shonen jump series, but these two I really had a hard time sitting through. I wouldn't even qualifiy them as "enjoyable", this is why Im so surprised by their success

Get Louder than Words ~The Story of a Field Trip, a personal project of mine, on Steam!
3 hours ago

Jan 2008
Cause they're adaptions of shounen jump manga, have plenty of action and got extra points for having good visuals on top of that. That's enough to appeal to the average anime watcher. Even with the JJK2 animator situation, it still looked better than the majority of shows out there. Another show you're missing is My Hero Academia which is the exact same category.

Short answer, you're likely not the target audience.
2 hours ago

Oct 2013
Reply to Surox
@Adnash

I can usually sit through your average shonen jump series, but these two I really had a hard time sitting through. I wouldn't even qualifiy them as "enjoyable", this is why Im so surprised by their success
@Surox Yeah, it's understandable. Although, the general audience finds them entertaining, even if, obviously, not everyone will enjoy watching them.

I'm not a fan of several popular anime series too. They are very popular, but I find them hmm.. either boring or just not interesting enough to even give them a try.

We just have different tastes, that's all. However, in terms of whether a show is highly acclaimed and successful, or not, the majority aka general audience decides.
2 hours ago

Dec 2022
My brother in arms, feel the same regarding those two shows although I may have different views when it comes to mha.

-Tohka is better than Kurumi. You can't change my mind. 

2 hours ago

Apr 2012
If you think JJK is not as bad as KnY, then you're part of the problem.

To answer the topic question: Because we live in the "dumb age of anime", where people flock towards the most shallow shounen-series, isekai-series or otherwise gimmick-series, keep posting meme-clips on instagram, make "funny" reaction videos, and that's it.

Meanwhile the rare GOOD anime, mostly seinen, get ignored, because generation Tiktok can't afford the brain cells for the attention it takes to follow a continuous, coherent story. That's why last season they ignored "Karasu wa Aruji wo Erabanai", and this season they'll ignore "Chi: Chikyuu no Undou ni Tsuite".

Anime needs healing, but we're not there, yet. The industry has to implode before it can attempt to go back to the heights of the golden age of anime.
If you haven't watched "Fantastic Children", don't talk about "best anime". Thank you.
2 hours ago

Oct 2022
I fully empathize the need to understand the utterly bullshit whims of anime fandom.
I myself attempted to do it with one even more highly rated- I watched Frieren for exactly the same reasons. And I am also rating it the same, between 4 and 5 maximum. And I am no closer to understanding the praise- in fact I'm EVEN MORE CONFUSED than before I started because the show was utterly inane, unengaging, overladen with flat dialogue; boring, unimaginative, extremely generic and utterly unfulfilling.

The worst thing is that, it's not actually a terrible show, it's just not very good. And yet The Collective of Gen Z decided it was the Bestest Evar ... and when I argue with people about it it just goes off the rails.

For Demon Slayer, I actually gave it a 7 and liked it a lot more. It didn't seem generic only because; well there aren't THAT many Taisho-era (1900s) traditional Japan fantasy with katanas are there? There are some- but it's not like a flood of them (like it is with medieval fantasies with elves and dwarves etc)
But the generic Shonen tropes are there. Probably I just didn't watch enough shonens to get sick of that stuff. And people praise the emotional pull it has, with Nezuko and the hero needing to have a gentler side- that's compelling; also people praise the animation and art style (and they are correct- it looks fantastic)

Don't try to understand The Crowd though, you'll go mad.
2 hours ago

Sep 2024
Because they are entertaining to watch. Eye candy animation, great fights, simple plot and badass characters. They are the perfect combo to appeal to the general viewer. You are complaining about JJK and Demon Slayer when Code Geass is in your Fav. An anime with incoherent plots and over the top characters.
2 hours ago

Jan 2021
Because the authors wrote them, and then they were animated. And turns out a ton of people like them. Hence the praise. Make sense?
2 hours ago
Apr 2024
I agree on demon slayer so I can't provide anything of note (I also feel the animation is overrated)
JJK is cool first of all, and there are some interesting writing and characters, Shibuya and hidden inventory, while not masterpieces have some great points, Mahito and Yuji's fight for example, so a pretty well written story with interesting ideas and characters, some food for thought but not really complicated and cool fights? While also being Jump?
2 hours ago

Jan 2021
Cause they are good enjoyable shonen for more than 90% of viewers. Your taste can be different(and judging from your favorites, you won't like simple plots).
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

2 hours ago

Dec 2012
Because they have action and are well animated which hooks the style over substance crowd.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

2 hours ago
Jun 2021
It's normies. They have to rate absolutely everything they like a 10, or otherwise they're "not true fans".
Hot Blood saves lives.
1 hour ago

Apr 2018
Reply to TheMechaManiac
It's normies. They have to rate absolutely everything they like a 10, or otherwise they're "not true fans".
@TheMechaManiac

I think you may have nailed it - that makes so much sense

1 hour ago
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Every shounenslop aimed at 14 year olds (and adults with impaired brains, aka most people) will get universal praise. Just the way the world works.
1 hour ago

Sep 2024
Reply to BigBoyAdvance
Every shounenslop aimed at 14 year olds (and adults with impaired brains, aka most people) will get universal praise. Just the way the world works.
@BigBoyAdvance Agree, not everyone has a BIG BOY brain like yours.
1 hour ago
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Reply to Xypheron
@BigBoyAdvance Agree, not everyone has a BIG BOY brain like yours.
True. Not everyone took part in math competitions and placed top 50 nationwide multiple times. That's why my opinions are not subjective but objective truths.

More topics from this board

» Popularity is temporary, class is permanent

Catalano - 3 hours ago

6 by BigBoyAdvance »»
1 minute ago

» Name one well-known anime that you think doesn't have the popularity it should have

WitherThrakh - 6 hours ago

19 by BigBoyAdvance »»
9 minutes ago

» Do you prefer old anime, or new anime?

Polatrix - 5 hours ago

25 by Astrollyth »»
9 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

1154 by Neko_shounen »»
44 minutes ago

Poll: » production delays means better work or quality

deg - 2 hours ago

13 by Guilmon1 »»
47 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.