Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 24, 8:39 AM
Jun 2024
This is the ending... In my opinion it is bad, since the work declined from a certain point. Several things were left unfinished and it tries to make believe that it was so. Well no... at the end of the pages it gives you to understand that it's a “happily ever after”. I liked this manga, but I was a little annoyed that it was so rushed and poorly constructed. I suppose some things would be fixed with a epilogue, but there's not much to do tbh. The time-skip ruined everything...
javerealJul 24, 11:39 AM
Jul 24, 8:54 AM
May 2021
The ending was so underwelming
Jul 24, 9:00 AM
Feb 2022
where u guys read that so fast?
Jul 24, 9:57 AM

Oct 2022
i have a feeling this chapter will get hate, but honestly i thought it was wonderful. besides the obvious lack of clarity on what happened to characters to get where they did (most notably shibasawa and nagi) this was honestly the best ending i could see fit. in the end, yuko was a terrible person from start to finish. at first i wished we saw her die, but towards the end i started realizing maybe her being on that bed wasting away alone, until she eventually did die, was a suited punishment.
goodbye to esemori too, a terrible person as well, but at the very least he prevented yuko from killing reiji. all of this may have seemed to have started because of him, but in reality if he hadn't started this yuko would've done a lovers suicide with reiji. so, in some messed up way, he kinda saved him and nagi.
edit: oh, and of course, i wished mao died. not just had yuri protect him from reiji. honestly, maybe her going to jail was for the best. i assume she turned herself in, which maybe is revealed in the extras minenami promised.
goodbye boys abyss. <3
Jul 24, 10:08 AM
Sep 2023
I'm really disappointed with the ending of "Boy's Abyss." It felt rushed, and some parts were left. I hope Ryou clears up some things in the epilogue.

Given the tone of the series, I believe a lover's suicide ending would have been more fitting. Despite my disappointment with the conclusion, the manga overall was really good and even helped me during my lowest moments.
NikstaraJul 24, 10:12 AM
Jul 24, 10:10 AM
Sep 2023
Reply to 001Fan
where u guys read that so fast?
@001Fan Boy's abyss subreddit r/boysabysss
Jul 24, 10:20 AM
Feb 2022
@Nikstara already in!
Jul 24, 10:35 AM

Aug 2016
I'm not sure how to feel about this ending, huh, a little random, and considering the first panel of the first chapter is a flashforward, it feels like the author didn't have this exact ending in mind and had a change of heart. Overall, great story, however the ending feels a little rushed in comparison to the rest of the manga.
OetJul 24, 10:39 AM
"I’m alone. I hate being alone. Being alone makes me feel empty."
Hanabi Yasuraoka

Jul 24, 10:51 AM
Jun 2017
guys i have a question, was reiji the man waving from inside of the car?
Jul 24, 11:45 AM

Oct 2017
Yeah was expecting an ending like this after how author streched and did things in a roundabout way for the last 100 ish chapters. Used to be really good at start, engaging story with suspense but lost it's momentum and at some point I stopped caring at all. Feels like a very pointless read, hollow like the characters themselves.
Jul 24, 12:28 PM

Jun 2023
Huh, TODAY already? I thought the chapter wouldn't be out until tomorrow, but maybe it was in Japanese time (I'm not Japanese)? That's why I was a bit surprised. So, this chapter is the last and ends the manga series after four and a half years! And I'm completely overwhelmed. Opinions differ a lot about the ending here, I have much to say about it too, so read the spoiler carefully, it contains a summary of the chapter and my commentary on it.

Or maybe I just skimmed the chapter too quickly and missed important details (let me know if so). In any case, it's over now, unbelievable. I'll also post my full review of the manga in a few days.
ForphyJul 24, 12:43 PM
Jul 24, 12:44 PM

Mar 2017
All I had on my mind after I finished reading the chapter was "that's it?". Lots of loose ends like how Reiji suddenly changed his mind about the suicide when everything prior to that scene of him returning to the bridge was leading to that, I understand that the core message of the manga is about breaking cycles and how hard it is to to that but I wish the how would at least make sense. Crazy how all this chapter made me feel like was confused, that's 100% not how I was expecting to feel like after reading the final chapter of a manga that evoked so many different strong emotions on me throughout it's run.
Jul 24, 12:52 PM
Sep 2019
Hoooooold on...
I'm confused ASF
The hell's wrong with this ending ? I didn't understand anything. Okay there's some points that you'd cognize by conscience but still. It feels like abruptly axed in the middle of something.
Jul 24, 12:59 PM

Dec 2020
This is the ending you give us... seriously, Ryou? It was too underwhelmin'. And whatz up with the lack of clarity huh? Reiji's situation was somewhat vague and Nagi's whereabouts are nowhere just wth!? This series had induced very strong and also fucked up lunatic emotions in me throughout the run and it was tbh very amusin'(tho the last 35% chaps were somewhat less of that type). I seriously didn't expect this typa lightweight clarity lackin' ending sheesh

Whatever letz see what the epilogue'd hold
Jul 24, 1:16 PM

Oct 2013
Very, very underwhelming ending. And I'm saying it as someone who already had low expectations. It was vague, but in a bizarre way and unlike most of chapters filled with intriguing ambiguity we could read in the past. I'm not a fan of cheap mysteries getting dragged on for so long only to end up in a half-baked, lazy way. The theme of "mystery ending up in a very mysterious way and becoming even greater mystery" just doesn't click with me, lol.

Overall, I had fun while reading this manga. Good example of a manga belonging to the misery literature genre. It had better and worse moments, but if we put aside that somewhat disappointing ending and the fact that some arcs dragged out for too long, making their initial great quality decline, Shounen no Abyss is a cool and interesting manga worth of at least checking it up.
Jul 24, 2:13 PM

Jun 2023
GeoXsf9 said:
This is the ending you give us... seriously, Ryou? It was too underwhelmin'. And whatz up with the lack of clarity huh? Reiji's situation was somewhat vague and Nagi's whereabouts are nowhere just wth!? This series had induced very strong and also fucked up lunatic emotions in me throughout the run and it was tbh very amusin'(tho the last 35% chaps were somewhat less of that type). I seriously didn't expect this typa lightweight clarity lackin' ending sheesh

wait, so there'll be an epilogue?
Jul 24, 2:20 PM
Apr 2023
speedrun ending 💩
Jul 24, 2:48 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to Forphy
GeoXsf9 said:

wait, so there'll be an epilogue?
@Forphy I read on MangaMoguraRE's profile on X that the last volume will have a lot of exclusive content (source: https://x.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1816207263650001235). What kind of exclusive content? I don't know. I assume that it can be a separate epilogue chapter, or extra pages for ch. 183, or just stuff like official artworks showing the main cast added to the volume as a bonus.
Jul 24, 2:56 PM

Jun 2023
Adnash said:
@Forphy I read on MangaMoguraRE's profile on X that the last volume will have a lot of exclusive content (source: https://x.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1816207263650001235). What kind of exclusive content? I don't know. I assume that it can be a separate epilogue chapter, or extra pages for ch. 183, or just stuff like official artworks showing the main cast added to the volume as a bonus.

alr thank you
so we'll see when vol 18 cones out, prob in September??
Jul 24, 3:09 PM
Jan 2021
what a joke bro lmaooooooo
Jul 24, 3:15 PM
Mar 2019
This is the worst final chapter to a story i have read in years. I loved this story so much and am disappointed with the choice to give the story an ending that is not satisfying in any meaning if the word. The choice for the Boys Abyss to be the book that the in story auther was writing before his death is not a huge issue for me. My real issue is that the in story authors death serves to end the actual manga with no real resolution. I understand that not all stories need a neat ending, but they way this story was ended resolves nothing within the mind of the reader nor does it incite greater thought. All this ending does is leave you wishing yhe story ended one chapter earlier. I still give this story overall an 8/10 but until someone makes a long winded video essay to convince me otherwise, this is a bad ending. 3/10 chapter.
Jul 24, 4:20 PM
Nov 2020
I think everyone gets ending what they deserve. I would say the ending is not great but still pretty good. There is no more tragedy or suffering. I’m happy Reiji and Nagi are together now. The story ends along with Esemori death, so I guess he is the abyss boy all along.
Overall, I love this series, give me a lot of rollercoaster emotions. I would give solid 8/10.
Jul 24, 4:40 PM

Mar 2015
What a bland ending, left a bad taste in my mouth. Had a good run at the start but dropped later. 5/10.
Jul 24, 4:52 PM
Jul 2019
Didn’t expect anything good from this series for a long time now. Fizzled out like a wet fart at the end. Absolute joke
Jul 24, 4:54 PM
Jul 2021
Stopped reading this like over a year ago, glad it’s over so I can finish it
Jul 24, 5:15 PM

Oct 2013
LMAOOOOOOOOO

This is not even bland or meh, it's just straight up bad. 😂
Signature.
Jul 24, 5:20 PM

Apr 2022
goddamn i had low expectations, but this was even worse😭 ending so underwhelming that i don't even feel angry or sad, just feel nothing. which is a shame, because there used to be a time when i was actually hooked despite all it's obvious flaws. hate to have to lower my score again for the extremely lazy ending but it is what it is.
Jul 24, 6:02 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to Forphy
Adnash said:

alr thank you
so we'll see when vol 18 cones out, prob in September??
@Forphy I think we might see it sometime in October or November. Most of this manga's volumes were released each 3-4 months, so if the preliminary volume (Vol. 17) was released sever days ago, then, given the frequency of the previous volumes' release, I assume the final one might be out in October or November.

According to the author herself, the final volume will have extra stuff which was called by Ryo Minenami as "important". You can read it on her post posted on X: https://x.com/ryo_minenami/status/1816128818165453068.

I think we will get an expanded final chapter, fleshing out more everything that the original magazine version failed to flesh out properly. I don't expect anything flashy, but I hope to see Reiji and Nagi, as well as Yuko and Esemori, getting a proper conclusion worth of roles they had in this manga.

Edit: according to this post on X, the final volume should be released on October.
AdnashJul 25, 1:40 PM
Jul 24, 6:03 PM
Apr 2024
I stopped reading after about chapter 70. Is there anything interesting after that?
Jul 24, 6:15 PM

Feb 2016
That ending was garbage. The Epilogue chapter better pull through
Jul 24, 6:27 PM

Apr 2018
I didn't like this at the start, but it was bearable. Now and with this ending, I dislike it even more and feel like there was nothing worth in it
Jul 24, 7:27 PM
Oct 2020
It has a interesting premise but the author keep beating the dead horse and dragging the story for no god damn good reason which ruin it in the long run. It was 7/10 and now its 5/10 for me. Shit get boring after mid way.
Jul 24, 8:45 PM

Jul 2023
at least they got what they wanted, Boy's Abyss
Talent is something to nurture, and wisdom is something to hone

Jul 24, 9:44 PM
Jun 2020
I stopped Expecting Good Endings After so many my fav manga got Garbage Ending,But still It's Meh Ending,
Jul 24, 10:14 PM
Nov 2023
Well...I know people will really hate the ending and It is right of them...Pretty much everything was really left 'unsolved' at the end...The things didn't get resolved and nothing clarified...but guys!...This is how the mangaka Ryo is!....seeing his previous works he give these types of ending but again it was not right...

But I loved it that way only...Wanted really something else but didn't got anything and I liked it that way only....
The epilogue might be giving some real Info we need but that's that!...Nothing coming out now really....
(I wanna know from you guys...Do you think Nagi and Reiji lived? cause when Reiji asked her real name...She said 'We are going to...'....this isn't clarified about what they were going to do but I still think Nagi helped Reiji lived on...And as for yuri Shibasawa...Man...I didn't want her ending like that....Like not another salvation boy!)
Jul 24, 11:01 PM
Jun 2016
I really didn't understand the ending and it felt like too many loose ends were kept
but I hope we will get some closure in an epilogue or something
Jul 24, 11:15 PM
Apr 2019
Truly abyss fiction.
Jul 24, 11:29 PM
Apr 2021
It wasn’t that bad of an ending it’s just that we don’t really know what happened to Reiji which kinda sucks bc I wonder if he’s alive or not😔

Hope we get an epilogue chapter or something to close off the last question😕
Jul 25, 1:02 AM
Sep 2018
I read this post first thinking "the last chapter can't be that bad"...it's worse.

I just read it and it's horrible. WHAT WAY TO END SUCH A COMPLEX STORY IS THIS? I feel betrayed...
I feel that it is not so much a matter of the author (although maybe yes, maybe she is tired of her work, I don't know) but I feel that it has been more a matter of the editors who have rushed her to finish the history.
The final volume has unpublished extra content... maybe there they explain something more about the end.
Jul 25, 1:36 AM
Jan 2022
I was really hoping for a wholesome or redemption moment for yuko even though she’s beyond saving at this point, i feel like she just been misunderstood the whole time and does thing the only way she knows how

Setting all that aside its a very disappointing ending and tbh it needs 6-7 chapters to really wrap it up and give each character the conclusion it deserves to a NEEDED closure for the reader (after the shit they make me seen i deserve some reward 😂)
Jul 25, 2:31 AM
May 2021
Upon rereading it several times over, I think the teacher killed Nagi and Reiji is hallucinating again on the bridge. Only because of the line about a room recently becoming open and she appears to get rid of the murder weapon right after saying that. Still unclear what transpired after and led to whatever the situation is on the mountain. Honestly I was hoping for more closure with this ending, so I'm probably just reaching.
Jul 25, 3:21 AM

Nov 2017
I don't really understand it I have no clue what this final chapter is but regardless I enjoyed the manga and the characters

plz @ me
Jul 25, 4:06 AM

Nov 2016
wow, they really shouldve ended it much sooner when gen was the big bad boss, it wouldve been much better imho. there are still so many things i just dont get like why mom and rei hate each other (nor do i care anymore), she shouldve stayed as the angel in that hellhole of a town
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396
Jul 25, 4:47 AM

Jul 2017
Reply to Onyx_Rooster
Upon rereading it several times over, I think the teacher killed Nagi and Reiji is hallucinating again on the bridge. Only because of the line about a room recently becoming open and she appears to get rid of the murder weapon right after saying that. Still unclear what transpired after and led to whatever the situation is on the mountain. Honestly I was hoping for more closure with this ending, so I'm probably just reaching.
@Onyx_Rooster You're getting confused.
Yuri (sensei) is talking with Mao, for some unexplained reason the writer though that ending up the manga with the implicaction that
she took Mao to be the next "Nagi" (basically kidnapped and kept in that room for years taking "care" of).
The problem with this manga is that Nagi is very uninteresting and frankly not that well developed even sensei has more than just look "sad" all
the time going on for her.

also she's living with Reiji and Nagi, which it's an entire story off-screen left as afterthought there in dialogue just because.
DoomResetRJul 25, 5:52 AM
Jul 25, 4:54 AM

Jul 2012
Not much to say, after quite a long ride so anticlimatic ...
Jul 25, 6:25 AM
Jul 2021
The ending was really disappointing. The story was way longer, then it should have been. After Tokyo everything went donwhill and felt unnecessary. But this ending ruined topped all that. It's just confusing and it's not a way to end a story. We don't know the whereabouts of the characters. It feels like the mangaka only wanted to finish the story, and ended it midthrew.
Jul 25, 8:44 AM

Nov 2020
What was the point of dragging the series for so long if you're going to end it like this? It ended like a wet fart. What a waste of time.
Jul 25, 9:06 AM
May 2020
truly one of the endings of all time
Jul 25, 11:28 AM
Mar 2023
definitely an abyss of waste of time
Jul 25, 1:37 PM
May 2020
Reply to Clasand
guys i have a question, was reiji the man waving from inside of the car?
@Clasand yap that was definitely Rei.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shounen no Abyss Chapter 182 Discussion

Oet - Jul 17

10 by CQLLIST »»
Yesterday, 8:25 AM

Poll: » Shounen no Abyss Chapter 181 Discussion

Adnash - Jul 10

4 by CQLLIST »»
Yesterday, 8:23 AM

Poll: » Shounen no Abyss Chapter 180 Discussion

nirererin - Jul 3

8 by CQLLIST »»
Yesterday, 8:20 AM

Poll: » Shounen no Abyss Chapter 165 Discussion

Adnash - Feb 7

9 by GrimSuspect »»
Jul 25, 10:09 PM

Poll: » Shounen no Abyss Chapter 1 Discussion

FMmatron - May 6, 2021

4 by GrimSuspect »»
Jul 25, 10:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.