Forum Settings
Forums

Which character is supposed to be smart but is actually not smart

New
Jul 6, 7:58 AM

Dec 2019
Which character first comes to your mind on looking at this?

Also do you think that how smart the characters can be in a series is limited to the author's IQ?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 6, 8:05 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
All major characters from Death Note
Jul 6, 8:12 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Sinbad from Magi, he’s a massive idiot.
Jul 6, 9:34 AM

Feb 2016
I believe those characters can all be traced back to Kongming.
その目だれの目?
Jul 6, 10:18 AM

Sep 2016
Bulma from Dragon Ball seems like a perfect example.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jul 6, 10:44 AM

Dec 2014
The more you learn about the world of Bleach, the more stupid Aizen appears.

"Hey Urahara, that Hyogoku thing you made, what does it actually do?"
"I'm not quite sure yet actuall-"
"Perfect! I'll make it the centerpiece of my plan to get my ass beat by the Zero Division!"
Jul 6, 11:57 AM

Jul 2013
Probably Asuka from Senran Kagura or Nep Nep from Hyperdimension Neptunia ;)
Jul 6, 12:16 PM

Jul 2023
Zoro lol, he suppose to be smart from his looks but...rest is history
Talent is someting to nurture and wisedom is something to hone

Jul 6, 12:18 PM

Sep 2016
Reply to nirererin
@nirererin Zoro is regularly portrayed as a dumbass by the author, but never as exceptionally smart.
Also wdym by "smart from his looks" ? He just looks handsome, not smart.
ZarutakuJul 6, 12:22 PM
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jul 6, 12:50 PM

May 2019
Reply to Zarutaku
@Zarutaku but she's pretty hot tho, so it balances out.

Jul 6, 12:50 PM

Oct 2013
I mean if its not Makishima

then I don't think there is a correct answer to this question. Like just walking around with a book and quoting philosophy ideas to make you seem less guilty isn't smart nor interesting

Jul 6, 12:54 PM
Sep 2023
The character that first came to my mind was the MC from Alice in Borderland manga...however the problem wasn't that he wasn't smart, it was that the author made everybody around him spectacularly dumb so his actually very normal observations seemed extraordinary.

An actual answer for me would be Ayanokoji from Classroom of the Elite (LN...I haven't watched the anime so it might seem different I guess). The book tried to paint him as overly analytical and calculative when in reality a piece of tissue had more substance than him.
Jul 6, 12:57 PM

Apr 2020
Johan and griffith. everyone says theyre smart and theyre considered smart in universe and it's backed up by their rank/school they go to, but i dont see them actually do any big-brain moments in the show.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 6, 12:59 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to nirererin
@nirererin

nah zoro is meant to be a muscle-brained idiot. even in the newer episodes he didnt even realize till later the correlation between King and the Seraphims. Luffy even figured it out before him
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 6, 1:03 PM
Apr 2023
This might be a hot take but please do not get offended (this is my opinion on how the anime displayed it)
His name is...
Osamu Dazai
OrimyamimeJul 6, 5:49 PM
Jul 6, 1:19 PM

Dec 2021
Alakazam is the best option here. It has statements saying it has a 5000IQ, having a thorough memory of everything that happened in the the world, and having a brain that can outperform a supercomputer yet it can only know 5 moves at a time. You know who else can know 5 moves at a time?

Jul 6, 1:41 PM
Oct 2015
All of them tbh. Truth is you can only write a character as smart as yourself, so you're either a genius author, or you make everyone around them dumber and make them look smart by comparison. Since we're talking about anime these genius characters are incredibly over the top and unrealistic most of the time, so yea.
Jul 6, 1:56 PM

Feb 2024
Lelouch: plays wrong chess, wastes his superpower on some silly things that don't help him get any closer to his goals, very bad at reading people. I don't remember if he is supposed to be a super-smart college student, but he doesn't look even as a high-schooler to me.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Jul 6, 2:30 PM
Apr 2024
Doesn't Todo has 50000 IQ? I mean I don't doubt it but he surely doesn't use it
Jul 6, 2:56 PM

Oct 2010
Kenzolo-folk said:
Johan and griffith. everyone says theyre smart and theyre considered smart in universe and it's backed up by their rank/school they go to, but i dont see them actually do any big-brain moments in the show.
Johan is less of a character than a narrative device and symbolic representation of humanity's potential for evil. The show doesn't delve into the specifics of his actions on purpose, it focuses on how he awakens the monster within each character he interacts with. The last scene when Johan is gone from the hospital, for instance, represents Tenma's overcoming of his own darkness but, simultaneously, that the potential for evil cannot be pinned down and eradicated. It will always persist within humanity as an elusive and unsettling force.
Jul 6, 3:28 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to Daconator
Kenzolo-folk said:
Johan is less of a character than a narrative device and symbolic representation of humanity's potential for evil. The show doesn't delve into the specifics of his actions on purpose, it focuses on how he awakens the monster within each character he interacts with. The last scene when Johan is gone from the hospital, for instance, represents Tenma's overcoming of his own darkness but, simultaneously, that the potential for evil cannot be pinned down and eradicated. It will always persist within humanity as an elusive and unsettling force.
@Daconator

yes brother i know lmao. but whats the point of the characters gushing about how much of a genius he is if they don't dedicate a moment to showing it? It wouldve been interesting, at least for me.
Jul 6, 3:36 PM

Oct 2010
Kenzolo-folk said:
yes brother i know lmao. but whats the point of the characters gushing about how much of a genius he is if they don't dedicate a moment to showing it? It wouldve been interesting, at least for me.
The point is depicting evil as a sharp and insidious force that exploits people's own weaknesses, and to lend credibility into Johan's ability to successfully manipulate those around him and enact his plans. The show revolves around the impact he has on others. I respect your preference but that also speaks of the intrigue you felt for the character, which was enhanced by his mystique.
DaconatorJul 6, 3:39 PM
Jul 6, 3:41 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to Daconator
Kenzolo-folk said:
The point is depicting evil as a sharp and insidious force that exploits people's own weaknesses, and to lend credibility into Johan's ability to successfully manipulate those around him and enact his plans. The show revolves around the impact he has on others. I respect your preference but that also speaks of the intrigue you felt for the character, which was enhanced by his mystique.
@Daconator

idk man, his "mystique" in full was just: blond pretty guy thats "smart" and barely talks. (mostly joking)
Also there were moments where he had a lot of screentime, but they still didn't show much of his "smarts."
Jul 6, 3:44 PM

Oct 2017
Literally every Yu-Gi-Oh anime character. Most of their decks aren't really good for the time that they were released, and even the ones who played decks that were good for their time play them really poorly. Then again optimal gameplay wouldn't really do as well for entertaining storytelling, and the original series manga was written before the card game itself existed
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Jul 6, 3:46 PM

Jun 2024
Aizen from Bleach lol. Dude got outsmarted by Urahara.
Jul 6, 3:47 PM

Jul 2023
Sung Jinwoo, but I'm not even sure if he's supposed to be smart in the first place. Maybe initially not, but after a few level ups yes. Anyway, that cursed "ending" will force me to watch the next season too, and I really hope they get to work on the characters already
Jul 6, 3:53 PM

Oct 2010
Kenzolo-folk said:
idk man, his "mystique" in full was just: blond pretty guy thats "smart" and barely talks. (mostly joking)
Also there were moments where he had a lot of screentime, but they still didn't show much of his "smarts."
It seems you're grappling with the notion that Johan is meant to be more of a symbolic representation of evil than a fully fledged character. He's a force of nature and the enigma and mystique are deliberate not only as integral aspects of the idea of evil and the darkness within people, but also so the show focuses on the chaos that's caused around him.
Jul 6, 3:55 PM

Jun 2015
Deku from My Hero Academia.

"Omg I broke my hands. What do I do?!?!?!?!?! I'm so weak, wah, I don't know what to do"
"Why don't u just kick people?"
"OMG YOU'RE SUCH A FUCKING GENIUS!!! I'LL CALL IT MY BLACK AIR FORCE MODE!!!! OMG I'M SO STRONG NOW!!!!!!"

what?
Jul 6, 4:00 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to Daconator
Kenzolo-folk said:
It seems you're grappling with the notion that Johan is meant to be more of a symbolic representation of evil than a fully fledged character. He's a force of nature and the enigma and mystique are deliberate not only as integral aspects of the idea of evil and the darkness within people, but also so the show focuses on the chaos that's caused around him.
@Daconator

Daconator said:
It seems you're grappling with the notion that Johan is meant to be more of a symbolic representation of evil than a fully fledged character.

Im not saying that, you did:

Daconator said:
Johan is less of a character than a narrative device and symbolic representation of humanity's potential for evil.

Unless by grappling you mean that I am struggling to understand the notion.

Lmao.
I know the point of Johans character, I'm just saying for a guy thats brought up to be such an charismatic, enigmatic prodigy, there weren't any times where I genuinely believed that. I just kept going with the narrative the story was pushing. Monster is still goated btw, i love it. There's just better/smarter villians than Johan.
Kenzolo-folkJul 6, 4:05 PM
Jul 6, 4:11 PM

Feb 2014
Lelouch Lamperouge. Dude could've Geassed every soldier, cop, public servant and government official to do his bidding permanently but elected to play WW3 in the streets with the military because he likes chess? Is espionage a word that doesn't exist in this world?
My sword has shown me the truth... I was a rapist! A monster! A vampire! I deserved to die!
I deserved to be sent here...to never see Rebecca again. I am truly in Hell! So I may as well ENJOY IT!
Jul 6, 4:12 PM

Oct 2010
Kenzolo-folk said:
Im not saying that, you did
Lmao.
I know the point of Johans character, I'm just saying for a guy thats brought up to be such an charismatic, enigmatic prodigy, there weren't any times where I genuinely believed that. I just kept going with the narrative the story was pushing. Monster is still goated btw, i love it. There's just better/smarter villians than Johan.
I've said it and explained it, but I'm not the one grappling with it. What's the confusion here? It doesn't matter, anyway. I've already gone over this and, I'm afraid any further effort will be redudant. I'm happy you've enjoyed Monster despite your gripes and view on Johan.
Jul 6, 4:15 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to Daconator
Kenzolo-folk said:
Im not saying that, you did
Lmao.
I've said it and explained it, but I'm not the one grappling with it. What's the confusion here? It doesn't matter, anyway. I've already gone over this and, I'm afraid any further effort will be redudant. I'm happy you've enjoyed Monster despite your gripes and view on Johan.
@Daconator

Im just confused on whether ur trying to say Johan should just be treated as a symbolic representation of evil or an actual character. I think its kinda unfair to just think the dude doesn't have any "human" qualities, and he's just supposed to be used as symbolism. I really dont think his purpose was just to be the representation of evil.
Jul 6, 4:19 PM
Sep 2021
Ayanokouji from Classroom of the Elite.
Every character in Classroom of the Elite is stupid, but Ayanokouji bugs me the most. His above-average-retard intelligence level is written like he's some sort of genius because everyone around him is dumbed down to make him look good.
Jul 6, 4:52 PM

Jul 2013
Every anime character aka a user of 4chan calls themselves a "hacker". When in fact a "hacker" is usually just a code word for a pedophile. Who is using sophisicated computer software/hacking software to disguise their ip address/identities online. So that they can download/upload cp without the police being able to identify them. And these hackers are even using sophisicated encryption software on their computers to hide any traces of illegal files on their computers, in case if the police send a search warrant to their house. To inspect their devices of illegal files.
Jul 6, 4:55 PM

Jun 2024
^sounds like you speak from experience bro
Jul 6, 5:19 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to YungStairwell
^sounds like you speak from experience bro
@YungStairwell dont go on 4chan. The people on it are super, super evil computer hackers.
Jul 6, 6:14 PM

Nov 2019
Jul 6, 6:23 PM
Mar 2018
Reply to LangleyAsuka
All of them tbh. Truth is you can only write a character as smart as yourself, so you're either a genius author, or you make everyone around them dumber and make them look smart by comparison. Since we're talking about anime these genius characters are incredibly over the top and unrealistic most of the time, so yea.
@LangleyAsuka Not really, you can write characters that get smart and/or fast conclusions with limited resource and knowledge, while the author himself doesn't have the same limitations since he is able to carefully think and research about the scenario he's writing. You can easily write a character getting a high score in a test that you wouldn't be able to get one yourself
Jul 6, 7:25 PM

Dec 2021
Reply to Animeinsight101
@Animeinsight101 Yeah, Matsuda didn’t die so he’s automatically smarter than Light.
Jul 6, 7:28 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to Zarutaku
@Zarutaku She uses the dragon balls just to keep her looks instead of doing something useful, so can't disagree here. Then again, I'd probably use them for something superficial or something that only benefits myself too.
Jul 6, 7:36 PM
May 2017
Reply to DesuMaiden
Probably Asuka from Senran Kagura or Nep Nep from Hyperdimension Neptunia ;)
@DesuMaiden Was Asuka supposed to be smart? I thought Ikaruga was the smart one on the team
Jul 6, 8:02 PM

Jan 2024
Reply to i-like-this
Ayanokouji from Classroom of the Elite.
Every character in Classroom of the Elite is stupid, but Ayanokouji bugs me the most. His above-average-retard intelligence level is written like he's some sort of genius because everyone around him is dumbed down to make him look good.
@i-like-this Pretty much agree with this. I don't even get how he's smart

"Mine is yours too."

Jul 6, 8:03 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to Merra_
The character that first came to my mind was the MC from Alice in Borderland manga...however the problem wasn't that he wasn't smart, it was that the author made everybody around him spectacularly dumb so his actually very normal observations seemed extraordinary.

An actual answer for me would be Ayanokoji from Classroom of the Elite (LN...I haven't watched the anime so it might seem different I guess). The book tried to paint him as overly analytical and calculative when in reality a piece of tissue had more substance than him.
Merra_ said:

I don't think he's supposed to be smart. He's supposed to be relatable.
その目だれの目?
Jul 6, 8:04 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to Orimyamime
This might be a hot take but please do not get offended (this is my opinion on how the anime displayed it)
His name is...
Osamu Dazai
@Orimyamime
I would describe his books the same way.
その目だれの目?
Jul 6, 8:20 PM
Nov 2020
The only correct answer is Lelouch Lamperouge
Jul 6, 8:52 PM

Jul 2023
@Zarutaku @Kenzolo-folk hmm.. I realized that after making that comment, lol. Green-Moss-Head
Talent is someting to nurture and wisedom is something to hone

Jul 6, 9:27 PM

Aug 2020
Kenzolo-folk said:
but whats the point of the characters gushing about how much of a genius he is if they don't dedicate a moment to showing it?
"why SHOULD they show it?" would be the question. At this point that's just a wish list rather than a criticism. I mean you yourself have admitted that that's not the real point of his character.
Jul 6, 10:08 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to TRC_Randy
Kenzolo-folk said:
but whats the point of the characters gushing about how much of a genius he is if they don't dedicate a moment to showing it?
"why SHOULD they show it?" would be the question. At this point that's just a wish list rather than a criticism. I mean you yourself have admitted that that's not the real point of his character.
@TRC_Randy

yeah cuz i would rather be shown something rather than just told it. if theyre gonna bother to say hes charismatic prodigy i want to actually believe it.

Johan moments were just him rizzing up people for no reason-- people were just manipulated by anything he said just because the plot decided it to be that way. actually hearing what he was saying it was just a bunch of edgy shit that no one in real life would fall for.

Like who is actually taking this seriously irl??
I'm not saying anime has to be realistic, but for a psychological thriller/mystery it at least should be enough to suspend your disbelief.

Compared to someone like Askeladd who was an actual smart manipulator, and you can definitely imagine someone being loyal to him based on what he says.
Kenzolo-folkJul 6, 10:22 PM
Jul 7, 12:43 AM

May 2024
Idk why people are considering a character making 1 or 2 mistakes to be an indicator of their low intelligence. Humans all make mistakes no matter how intelligent they may be.
Jul 7, 3:55 AM
Apr 2024
Lacus from gundam seed. No you can't stop a group trying to send on you nuclear weapons because they are racist by not fearing them, both sides have very reasonable reasons to fear and the creators should have just stayed with the idea that to cause change power is needed
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Rick and Morty: The Anime's Trailer Confirms August 15 Debut, Bilingual Casts

Old_School_Akira - Today

15 by FanofAction »»
3 minutes ago

» Would you isekai yourself if you had to actually be in the series?

Anjuro - 2 hours ago

1 by SPTLayzner »»
16 minutes ago

» Anime That Took a While to Enjoy

Jackof-allspades - Jun 8

38 by nishant0 »»
18 minutes ago

» An American anime industry veteran predicts an imminent "explosion of the anime bubble" ( 1 2 3 )

RobertBobert - Jul 9

138 by RobertBobert »»
24 minutes ago

» Dear Shounen Fans.

Zamus_Edits - 4 hours ago

14 by Stygian_Prisoner »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.