Forum Settings
Forums

Anime that would have been better if they were shorter?

New
Jun 28, 4:23 AM

Mar 2023
I think that YuYu Hakusho would have been one of my favourites if it wasn't for the last arc.
Jun 28, 4:26 AM

Aug 2012
Naruto. The last arc and the fillers absolutely butchered the story.
Jun 28, 4:39 AM

Feb 2020
"Anime that would have been better if they were shorter?"

Death Note.
Jun 28, 4:44 AM
Apr 2024
Gundam seed, Fate stay night unlimited bladeworks (only the anime, haven't read the VN), MHA season 5 should have finished the first arc earlier
Jun 28, 4:56 AM

May 2024
Most shonen would benefit from being shorter, One Piece is the prime example.
Jun 28, 4:57 AM
Sep 2022
Attack on Titan. I think you could probably drop about 20% of that. All the stuff with Kenny was completely pointless, for example.
Jun 28, 4:58 AM

Apr 2013
Tsukimichi season 2, half of the season was quite boring, 12 episodes would've been enough.
Jun 28, 5:30 AM

Oct 2021
Rurouni Kenshin. You really don't need these filler episodes.
Jun 28, 5:36 AM

Jun 2019
Since I not only like longer series, but actually as a whole prefer them compared to the sentiments I see coming from most people, I rarely ever feel this way about any series.

It just so happens that the one and single exception is Monster. Which I've dropped like five times and still haven't completed to date. The reason being that there are so many deviations from the main character, which is something I generally find grating and off-putting, that it ended up as the one case where I actually found myself wishing a series was shorter and, if so, probably would have finished it. Because I'm not fond of what it used its episode count and runtime to focus on. I don't like constant cutaways from the main characters in the present to side characters, flashbacks, etc. in a series. It's something I typically find obnoxious. If I enjoyed what a series focused on with that length, then it could be 10,000+ episodes and I'd be happy and content.

That was the only series where I found myself wishing that instead of 74 episodes it was...I don't know, maybe 30-something or 40-something? The first 12 or 13 episodes were excellent and I was really disappointed with the turn and direction the series took after that.
WatchTillTandavaJun 28, 5:41 AM
Jun 28, 5:37 AM
Feb 2014
The orginal Cardcaptor Sakura, Naruto and Naruto Shippuden without all the fillers, Juuni Kokuki, the old adaptation of Rurouni Kenshin, Shugo Chara!

My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Jun 28, 5:50 AM

Feb 2024
Every series longer than 13 ep could benefit from being shorter imo.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Jun 28, 5:52 AM

Sep 2008
parasyte. the last one? two? episodes were very unnecessary,
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Jun 28, 6:21 AM

Jul 2021
Death Note should have ended at episode 25.
Jun 28, 6:28 AM

Nov 2023
Most obvious choice would be: https://myanimelist.net/anime/21/One_Piece

The Promised Neverland Should just be the first season only. Since thats where they accomplish their goal.
Jun 28, 7:54 AM

Oct 2014
I think Code Geass would have been better if it were more compact. A lot of S2 feels like it's just wasting time and that detracts from my enjoyment of the show.

Kawaisugi Crisis also feels like it's longer than it needs to be. It's only 12 episodes, but if it was shrunk down to something like a movie I think that would have been better. The concept isn't interesting enough to stay entertaining for very long and a lot of the episodes feel very similar.
Jun 28, 8:20 AM

May 2018
I guess I wish bleach was more compact. And I skipped a lot of naruto fillers, so I guess that too.
can't yuck my yum

Jun 28, 8:27 AM
Nostalgia Addict

Feb 2018
Monster

it's unnecessarily long, 24-37 ep would have been more than enough.
Jun 28, 10:06 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to WatchTillTandava
Since I not only like longer series, but actually as a whole prefer them compared to the sentiments I see coming from most people, I rarely ever feel this way about any series.

It just so happens that the one and single exception is Monster. Which I've dropped like five times and still haven't completed to date. The reason being that there are so many deviations from the main character, which is something I generally find grating and off-putting, that it ended up as the one case where I actually found myself wishing a series was shorter and, if so, probably would have finished it. Because I'm not fond of what it used its episode count and runtime to focus on. I don't like constant cutaways from the main characters in the present to side characters, flashbacks, etc. in a series. It's something I typically find obnoxious. If I enjoyed what a series focused on with that length, then it could be 10,000+ episodes and I'd be happy and content.

That was the only series where I found myself wishing that instead of 74 episodes it was...I don't know, maybe 30-something or 40-something? The first 12 or 13 episodes were excellent and I was really disappointed with the turn and direction the series took after that.
WatchTillTandava said:

Good news! Urasawa did also write a shorter version of Monster.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/35737/Pluto
その目だれの目?
Jun 28, 11:26 AM

Sep 2016
Everything I didn't enjoy would have been better if it was shorter.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 28, 11:37 AM

Nov 2020
Reply to therealnagora
Attack on Titan. I think you could probably drop about 20% of that. All the stuff with Kenny was completely pointless, for example.
@therealnagora dawg you must live in a real delusion to think aot is long or smth like that
"Are you the strongest because you're Satoru Gojo? Or are you Satoru Gojo because you're the strongest?"~ Suguru Geto

Jun 28, 11:37 AM

Nov 2020
Reply to therealnagora
@therealnagora dawg you must live in a real delusion to think aot is long or smth like that
"Are you the strongest because you're Satoru Gojo? Or are you Satoru Gojo because you're the strongest?"~ Suguru Geto

3 hours ago
Sep 2022
Reply to AMBITZZ
@AMBITZZ I watched all of it in the space of a week and it was definitely longer than it needed to be. That's the only criterion that matters here - is it longer than it needs to be in order to say all it has to say. Might be 3 episodes and too long; might be 1000 episodes and not long enough (theoretically, at least).

More topics from this board

» Anime in which the dub rescore music is better?

funtime43_tr - 2 hours ago

5 by Lucifrost »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Localization, Name Changes, and Worplay

LSSJ_Gaming - Jun 27

20 by Lucifrost »»
5 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7260 by CarolinaVitor »»
7 minutes ago

» Are there any hobbies you do that are influenced by anime?

otaku2000anime - Jun 26

33 by Coaghim »»
7 minutes ago

» What do you think of Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli?

Psychku - Today

37 by Damnits »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.