Forum Settings
Forums

What's the biggest outlier in your favorite series or character list?

New
May 22, 8:46 AM

Jun 2017
For favorite series, Yugioh is pretty much my only shonen anime and sticks out among the slice of life/magical girlfriend/romance series the other 8 are. Same with Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Both are there for nostalgia and being important in me getting into anime.

My favorite characters is mostly my anime crushes like Mai and Rangiku (Yeah, i gots a type for buxom blondes). A few tough action girls like Chun-LI and The Major. So there's a pattern. Then you have Weevil, the sneaky insect duelist from Yugioh, the reason he's there? Well i always liked insect cards and he wore glasses like me, so...yeah
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
May 22, 9:32 AM

Sep 2016
https://myanimelist.net/anime/54722/Mahou_Shoujo_ni_Akogarete

Hot as hell and no male in sight.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 22, 9:34 AM

Feb 2020
Natsume Yuujinchou since it's not CGDCT/Idol/all-female cast show.

May 22, 9:35 AM

Oct 2010
when I made a mal account I added Light and Death Note in favs, still there
May 22, 10:07 AM

Feb 2016
Go Nagai's anime and manga are unlike most of my favorites.
その目だれの目?
May 22, 10:10 AM

Dec 2022
I don't think I have any one outlier. Most of my favourites have considerable variation in tone, theming and subjects.

Shaded Horizon

May 22, 10:44 AM
Aug 2018
For now, the Killing Stalking manhwa is definitely the outlier among my favourites.
May 22, 10:45 AM

Feb 2020
For Anime it's Gera Gera Boes Monogatari for nostalgia reasons, as that probably is the very first Anime I ever watched sometime back in the 90s.

For character it's probably Anguirus because he's the only animal character on my list, and I think I added him as a fave long before seeing Suzume Godzilland, because he's always been my favourite kaiju from watching Godzilla movies.
Although honestly I want this Anguirus from Godzilla SP instead, but he doesn't have an entry.
May 22, 12:51 PM

Jan 2023
86 and Made in Abyss are and if you look at mine, the reason is pretty clear to see.

"You fought to the end. You survived. That's why you're here now. I think that's something you should be more proud of."
- Vladilena Milizé
May 22, 12:59 PM

Dec 2021
For my favorite anime, definitely Migi to Dali. Everything on my faves is at least 5 years old, and was added significantly after the anime finished airing, but then there's Migi to Dali. The series was almost done, at episode 11, when I added it to my favorites. It's the only time I've ever added an anime to my favorites before it was even done airing, and it even booted out Touch, an anime I thought I'd never remove.

For character, probably Xiang Ying from Angel Heart, as she's the only one with a non-Japanese name.

Finally for people, Gabriele Calindri. Who? Huh? WHY?!?!

Forget dubbing, this guy's about to beat the shit outta the director!

Because THIS is the image that represents him on MAL. Also his face just keeps showing up in the list of Italian dub actors for many anime I've watched.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
May 22, 1:02 PM

Aug 2021
Kiyotaka Ayanokouji

He's the only Male
May 22, 1:50 PM

Aug 2017
Some of my favourite are not outliers if I talk specifically about my favourite genres...they are outliers due my personal tastes in specific characters cast or even my more personal taste:

-Madoka Magica: I have immense disgust for shows with lesbian undertones because I'm a gay man but I don't mind much since the show has strong psychological aspects which its one of my favourite genres.
-Tatami Galaxy: I don't like shows with full adult cast, much less in places where its full of adults like college and they don't have at very least relevant characters below 18. This show being my favourite has more to with the mystery, comedy, charisma and obviously the psychological aspect. Heck, I can even mention the male characters in this show besides 1 side character are ugly, yet its still one of my favourite shows.
-Toaru Majutsu no Index: while its common for me to like these types of shows due my genre tastes, the main reason of why the Index series is my favourite series and not Railgun is Touma. He's one of my oldest husbandos and one of the characters I'm married along with Ayanokoji and Todoroki. I'm a fan of the series thanks to him. Even among my top husbandos, he's an outlier himself since I tend to put higher in my top to bad boy characters (they are my type) which Touma isn't. He's very protective, that's main aspect made me fall in love with him.
-Fate/Zero: this reason is a similar to Tatami Galaxy. The action scenes and the genres I like made the show worth to be me favourite. Also, adult characters like Gilgamesh and Lancer are hot here unlike most TG male cast. It's funny since the main character from Stay night isn't hot for me despite they don't have an adult cast there. The only Fate MC which its from my taste is Ritsuka Fujimaru lol.

Not really my favourites shows but I rated them high than I usually rate them due I strongly dislike those shows genres:
-SOL: they always have relevant hot male characters which they are my type like Makoto Takiya and Taketo Aida from Maid Dragon or Natsume from Natsume Yuujinchou.
-CGDCT: I only like if its CBDCT (cute boys doing cute things) for obvious reasons, the most obvious example is Free!.

Edit: all favourite characters in my list ≠ my husbandos. MAL doesn't allow many favourite characters in the first place besides I don't want to use it as a husbando list (despite all male characters from that list are my husbandos). I still enjoy female characters despite I'm not straight so I included them there.

NurguburuMay 22, 1:54 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 22, 3:26 PM
Jan 2020
Cross Game is one of my all time favorites, even though I don't really like sports anime.

I don't really think I have an outlier for favorite characters.
May 22, 3:34 PM

May 2014
Mikan is the only animal character in my top 10 faves.
May 22, 3:47 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
Umiko Ahagon is the only female character in the favorites. I like plenty of female characters too and have had other in my favorites in the past, but I suppose this is how it currently is.
May 22, 4:06 PM

Dec 2021
Nana Komatsu is easily my biggest outlier of my favorite characters. Even if someone knew nothing but appearances of my favorite characters I’m sure most would still choose Nana as the outlier.
May 22, 5:01 PM

Apr 2023
Maybe Mai Minakami because she's Mai Minakami. She's a charmingly weird character and an outlier even in her own show, Nichijou.

May 22, 6:03 PM

Sep 2022
Attack on Titan is the biggest outlier in my favorites. I mostly like slice of life, comedy, or romance anime but Attack on Titan does not have any of that.
May 23, 12:25 AM

Jan 2023
'Chaika' is a fairly big outlier in my favorite series as the very large majority of what I usually watch and enjoy is a lot more light-hearted and comedy oriented than that.
May 23, 12:41 AM
Oct 2019
My favorite anime list is all magical girls and shoujo and romance and then there's Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood just chilling in there.

All of my favorite characters are women except for Laios.
May 23, 1:22 AM

Nov 2023
https://myanimelist.net/character/15429/Sakura

- Only side character that bypassed alot of the mains

May 23, 2:39 AM

Jul 2021
initial d has to be the greatest outlier. cars and cars only.

in charaters tomoya and mai are outliers because they are just normal people without any special powers or strength.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

May 23, 2:49 AM

Sep 2015
Probably Gamers!

It's quite different from other stuff in my fav list
May 23, 2:52 AM

Nov 2019
GATE being the only harem series out of the bunch, not proud of it personally and I have been attacked for it lol. Can’t say no to a modern military anime after all
May 23, 2:59 AM

Mar 2023
Fate/zero for sure since I usually dig more drama heavy/ slice of life centered shows, but Fate/zero's themes and presentation is just too excellent to ignore
“Since when was this world so beautiful?” ~Yuuri (girl's last tour)
May 23, 3:09 AM

Oct 2021
For me it's K-On. It's the only show with a realistic setting, because it doesn't include any fantasy elements. Furthermore it's the only show, which you can call it a comedy show.
May 23, 11:27 PM

Aug 2019
Out of my favorite characters: Prompto because he's more of a video game character than an animanga character. Out of my favorite manga series: "Junji Ito's Cat Diary: Yon & Mu" because it's a funny manga about cats drawn by a renown horror managaka. And I'd say my favorite animes are the most coherent list, but if I had to choose then I'd go with "House of Five Leaves" because it's the only historical fiction series on there.
May 24, 12:15 AM

Nov 2020
Considering my favourite series and characters are all shounen the biggest outlier for my favourite series would be Violet Evergarden or Clannad: After Story and for favourite characters Violet would be my biggest outlier.
“Maybe nothing in this world happens by accident. As everything happens for a reason, our destiny slowly takes form.” - Rayleigh

More topics from this board

» If the world was ending tomorrow

JoeChip - 7 hours ago

17 by alexw1020 »»
2 minutes ago

» Summer 2024 Season

OldLoser - 4 hours ago

19 by Neterosan »»
5 minutes ago

» Would you quit Anime if Anime caters to the West? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - Jun 15

66 by kagamiiin »»
5 minutes ago

» Could you survive in the world of your favorite anime?

Spunkert - Jun 15

41 by Damuzen »»
9 minutes ago

» Would you watch gender swapped Mushoku Tensei?

rohan121 - Yesterday

35 by Coaghim »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.