Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 17, 6:59 AM

Nov 2011
Not going to lie, I think this festival they hosted is both fun and somewhat awkward. I mean, dressed in insect outfits? Lol

There were also some competition among this festival. A lot of energy this episode though, and of course fun. Takumi himself tried to make an impression and I found some of scenes priceless.
May 17, 7:32 AM

Nov 2010
It's a very looong monologue.
May 17, 7:48 AM

Mar 2021
The insect festival was really interesting with everyone seemingly having fun, but poor Aoi though she only wanted Takumi to remember her but it seems he doesn't.
May 17, 8:04 AM

Sep 2016
Kinda sad that Aoi was tossed to the side despite being the whole reason Takumi went to the festival, but hey this was a fun bug eating episode XD.
May 17, 8:13 AM
Aug 2015
Awww, Aoi's feeling blue. Seems like she's been carrying a torch all this time, but how can she even hope to compete with a real princess? Even her prized Geek sticker didn't have the effect she was hoping for. What's a girl to do? Well, entrapment's usually the best option at this point, but I don't think she has it in her.
May 17, 8:46 AM
Jul 2023
The bug festival is interesting, daunting and respectfully disgusting at the same time.

Poor Aoi tho.
May 17, 9:00 AM

Jan 2018
Wow. Aoi-chan was the ghost from the backgrounds of the previous episodes all along. Not only that but also she was the reason Miyasaka met Mira in the first episode. Way to make yourself lose...

I actually really liked Aoi's backstory. Even tho she's still a bit of a creep, I feel sympathy for her. Is it bad that I feel like rooting for Aoi-chan much more than Mira now? I always liked rooting for underdog or loser-type characters in anime. It's sad that it's almost impossible for her to win.

I liked everything about this bug festival except the bugs themselves. Nothing can make me want to eat insects.

Another thing I hate is that old slut. Whenever she's on-screen she just makes the situation worse. Hopefully she'll be away from the main characters for a while.

This episode was very fun even tho Aoi-chan kinda got shafted halfway through. I hope she'll find happiness in one way or another. Terurun concert was pretty good too.

The next episode looks interesting. Wonder how Miyasaka Takumi can help keep the Widi's secret.
0451May 17, 12:35 PM
May 17, 9:29 AM

Apr 2012
ahah they really did a reminiscence of obasan on the scooter from You're Under Arrest, especially since she was voiced by the same seiyuu (Kujira) =))))

To err is human. To purr is feline (c)
May 17, 11:26 AM

Oct 2017
So it was Aoi who set up their fateful encounter, good job, not that she intended to do it. We got to see her backstory and it was as expected.

Mira and Takumi looked so cute together. Realise your feelings already girl. It was funny watching her dig a big hole. Teruko did great supporting them btw. Feel bad for Aoi but Mira x Takumi all the way. Just hoping that fucking dog and oldhag won't do any shit. What was that festival though.
May 17, 12:03 PM

Jun 2019
The insect festival brought me back to pan-frying silkworms in oil on the stove. They just tasted like crumbled tortilla chips. It's been years since I've had any insect-based dish, but I've always wanted to try things like beetles, crickets, grasshoppers, ant eggs, etc. It's interesting that it's (insect eating as a healthy and even tasty alternative form of sustenance) come up in the episodes of two different seasonals I'm watching currently. I'd ask "What are the odds?", but maybe it's reflective of a real world trend of it becoming a more popular topic lately or something. I know that I feel like I've seen an increase in those "Eat bugs as an alternative to beef and pork" and future speculation articles about it exploding in popularity as global cuisine in the past five to seven years or so.

I'm very torn on the romance, because usually rooting for the main romance, which is obviously put in the spotlight as the central focus around which much of the character development and conflict is based, is part of my enjoyment derived from watching a romance series unless I absolutely loathe the hypothetical pairing, which I don't here, as I like Mira and basically like that pairing too. But Aoi is so much more my kind of character than any of the mains including Mira and Takumi.

It just feels odd to even be feeling any sympathy or affinity for her as I usually instinctively violently detest the side characters or characters introduced later as somewhat antagonists or rivals to somehow get in the way of the main love interest and main love story. Like, on an in-universe story level I usually want those characters thwarted or to just be told to go away in no uncertain terms, and even on a meta writing level I just find their inclusion more irritating and of little value than anything else. Yet Aoi might be the first anime character I didn't instantly reflexively feel that way about.
WatchTillTandavaMay 17, 12:09 PM
May 17, 12:31 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Reply to 0451
Wow. Aoi-chan was the ghost from the backgrounds of the previous episodes all along. Not only that but also she was the reason Miyasaka met Mira in the first episode. Way to make yourself lose...

I actually really liked Aoi's backstory. Even tho she's still a bit of a creep, I feel sympathy for her. Is it bad that I feel like rooting for Aoi-chan much more than Mira now? I always liked rooting for underdog or loser-type characters in anime. It's sad that it's almost impossible for her to win.

I liked everything about this bug festival except the bugs themselves. Nothing can make me want to eat insects.

Another thing I hate is that old slut. Whenever she's on-screen she just makes the situation worse. Hopefully she'll be away from the main characters for a while.

This episode was very fun even tho Aoi-chan kinda got shafted halfway through. I hope she'll find happiness in one way or another. Terurun concert was pretty good too.

The next episode looks interesting. Wonder how Miyasaka Takumi can help keep the Widi's secret.
0451 said:
Is it bad that I feel like rooting for Aoi-chan much more than Mira now?

You're not the only one rooting for Aoi. After seeing her backstory, I want to see Aoi's love Takumi to be fulfilled since it was love at first sight. Even Naosuke is playing the role of wing man for Aoi and Takumi. It's just sad that things have to end on bittersweet note for her because Takumi doesn't remember her and is treated like an npc at this point. I can see a situation where Aoi might go full yandere mode out of desperation.
May 17, 3:00 PM

Sep 2022
Although the whole bug eating aspect of the episode eluded me, the backstory between Aoi and Miyakusa was quite nice, warm, and funny. Hopefully with that obaba distracted by her new moped means we won't have to see her again anytime soon. Can't believe people were adamantly complaining about the dog when that woman exists! Anyways, fun episode, old man in the bee suit alone made it glorious!

edit: spelling
I'm the sonny boy ( ̄y▽, ̄)╭
May 17, 4:48 PM

Nov 2021
Man, even tho it was a fun episode...i just feel so sorry for Aoi when she started crying in her room
Yeah she is a bit of a stalker but with her backstory and the fact Takumi was the only one who gave her any attention, she got kinda fixated on him, it's just sad that she was created as a character in the anime just to fail pretty much, to give it some kind of "drama"
I like Mira a lot but my girl Aoi didn't deserve to just be the springboard for her and Takumi
May 17, 5:05 PM
May 2017
Another very good episode! Takumi would be happy with Mira or Aoi; both ones are cute and sweet.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
May 17, 7:54 PM
Nov 2018
I feel sorry for Aoi. She invited Takumi out for the evening and he just completely ignores her, when Mira shows up. He knows how she is of being shy and a recluse. In my eyes Takumi was a real jerk in this episode.
May 17, 9:30 PM

Nov 2021
Aww man I feel so bad for Aoi-chan :( I hope she gets a happy ending still even if it is not with Takumi
May 18, 2:25 AM

Dec 2016
Schwab personally funded the edition of this episode, they could have said it earlier that they were doing competition against Carole & Tuesday.
I would have seen it with a different point of view, I look forward to the black transgender in the next episodes.
May 18, 12:47 PM
Feb 2022
The protagonist forgot about Aoi like nothing. That is not done.

Spanish translation:
El prota se olvido de Aoi como si nada. Eso no se hace.
May 18, 1:23 PM
Jan 2024
I feel so sorry for Aoi and I'm really starting to dislike the MC.
May 18, 3:51 PM

Nov 2012
Poor Aoi. I feel so sorry for her. He basically ditched her. She asked him out and he heard let's hang out. I didn't think he knew he was on a date. At least I hope he didn't. If he ditched her knowing it was a date, then he's scum.
May 18, 7:38 PM
Feb 2024
I'm from the Aoi-chan team.
May 19, 12:23 AM
Jan 2024
The Anime is doing really great. Why the rating is so low. This anime deserves more than 6 rating. Its really underrated
May 19, 1:43 AM

Apr 2015
About the shipping matter I like Aoi better than Mira as a character, but I don't really think she works with MC as a couple.
Not that I actively ship him with Mira but it probably makes more sense in the grand scheme of things.
LanzMay 19, 2:00 AM
May 20, 2:29 PM

Feb 2016
Aoi makes me sad. I think she's going to finish alone in this anime...
On the other hand, we had more screen time of the old neighbour lady, that everyone hates, but she gives us the best hilaryous moments.
May 24, 1:28 AM

Nov 2022
What a sad episode. Poor Aoi. She didn't deserve to be brushed aside like that.
May 24, 4:34 AM
Apr 2014
aoi will get with prince guy. that's how this kind of show works
May 25, 11:01 AM

Jun 2021
Armio said:
aoi will get with prince guy. that's how this kind of show works

I thought the sameee. I mean I wish, Aoi deserves love after all those hardships
May 25, 8:31 PM
Aug 2019
it's Maison Ikkoku but with Urusei Yatsura together
Jun 5, 4:56 AM

Jul 2017
Well, Aoi's much-needed(?) backstory about how she fell in love with Takumi since the first time she saw her, and the first date...is to an Insect Festival eating all sorts of exotic foods. Meanwhile, Shoin, Miwa and Naosuke trying to find the key somewhere around Astro Lodge, it's proving to be a pain in the butt. But to think that both Aoi and Takumi go back as far as his days before winning his chef award, listening to the same radio program, and having an affinity over insect food like escargot. Ironically, it's because of him that she begun to get better at her job before its untimely demise, leading her to survive outside and be saved by Tasuke, which granted her a place in Astro Lodge, and it's where she lived to this day.

Back in the present day, Takumi's date has to be spoiled by Miwa and Shoin looking like they're also on a date, and the other members of Astro Lodge soon follow with the usual bug-eating wasp pupae eating contest...plus every bit of time and effort to push their love forward. Too bad the supposed Widi key is just a make-up one that Shokichi made for the contest, and it only proves further that Takumi only has eyes for Miwa.

Is it so bad that when all is said and done, Takumi really only has Aoi to consider?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Astro Note Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - 8 hours ago

6 by bboy_OatsnRice »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Astro Note Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - May 31

17 by RawrOMG »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Astro Note Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - May 24

16 by KANLen09 »»
Jun 5, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Astro Note Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 31

79 by floral_sacrifice »»
Jun 3, 5:59 PM

» Criminally underrated

Prfpnd_179 - Jun 1

3 by KayKimii »»
Jun 1, 11:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.