Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 16, 8:27 AM

Oct 2022
every time i come across to odd numbers, i just.... don't like it. idk why this happens, but yeah
is it normal?
FruitPunchBakaMay 16, 11:10 AM
May 16, 8:31 AM

Jan 2009
nah i like the number 3 ever since i was a kid since it reminds me of triangles my favorite shape
May 16, 8:34 AM
Aug 2018
What? I love odd numbers. I love prime numbers too.

2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13... Look at that, it's beautiful.
May 16, 8:39 AM

Sep 2016
why are odd numbers intuitively disliked?

Because they can't be exactly divided by 2

Halving is a very common thing to do in life, but odd numbers can't be halved without a remainder, which is considered inconvenient by many.

ZarutakuMay 16, 10:08 AM
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 16, 8:40 AM

Dec 2021
If odd numbers are disliked, then I guess my username contains three reasons to dislike me.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
May 16, 9:07 AM

Jun 2019
It happens after you try to compute ζ(3) or to show that ζ(5) is irrational.

It seems that odd numbers are viewed as "unnatural" in many cultures. For example, in Japanese, they are called 奇数 (kisuu), where 奇 is the same word that appears in 奇妙 (kimyou) and means strange, bizarre, curious, queer, etc. And yes, this is a JoJo reference:

I believe that there are deep psychological reasons being this rejection of odd numbers, and I must confess that I generally prefer even numbers over odd numbers, although prime numbers like 57 are particularly appealing. However, it is possible that as in the case of negative numbers and complex (or impossible) numbers, the terminology has created an unconscious psychological bias against those numbers (this is what Gauss thought about the two afore-mentioned categories of numbers; he argues that if we had chosen neutral terms, there would not have been this general uneasiness surrounding those intuitive concepts).

Rhae said:

Truer words have only been spoken by Euclid.

May 16, 9:14 AM

Feb 2020
Odd numbers are definitely underrated.
May 16, 9:55 AM

Jul 2013
Does it even matter? It does not, obviously...
May 16, 9:55 AM
Nov 2019
Reply to Meusnier
It happens after you try to compute ζ(3) or to show that ζ(5) is irrational.

It seems that odd numbers are viewed as "unnatural" in many cultures. For example, in Japanese, they are called 奇数 (kisuu), where 奇 is the same word that appears in 奇妙 (kimyou) and means strange, bizarre, curious, queer, etc. And yes, this is a JoJo reference:

I believe that there are deep psychological reasons being this rejection of odd numbers, and I must confess that I generally prefer even numbers over odd numbers, although prime numbers like 57 are particularly appealing. However, it is possible that as in the case of negative numbers and complex (or impossible) numbers, the terminology has created an unconscious psychological bias against those numbers (this is what Gauss thought about the two afore-mentioned categories of numbers; he argues that if we had chosen neutral terms, there would not have been this general uneasiness surrounding those intuitive concepts).

Rhae said:

Truer words have only been spoken by Euclid.

@Meusnier Interesting insights :)

There's definitely a psychological aspect to it. To give some anecdotal experience, as a middle school kid I disliked odd numbers with an uncanny passion. The usual feeling was of 'incompleteness' or not doing something in matching pairs when experiencing odd numbers. Moving one step forward would automatically lead me to move another step to get that feeling of completeness when a pair would be formed. If I raised my one hand, I would be inclined to raise the other as well to form a pair and achieve the feeling of being complete. Weird I guess? Though that feeling is now absent within me so dunno what I should make of my experience.
Said_enoughMay 16, 11:27 AM
May 16, 10:07 AM

Jul 2017
My opinion on all the numbers from 1-100:

Total number of odd numbers from 1-100 that I like: 14
Total number of even numbers from 1-100 that I like: 23

Hmm, so it seems I do prefer even numbers more than odd numbers overall. The number 9 is my favorite number from 1 to 10 though, and it's an odd number, so I guess that serves as a bit of a nice counterbalance of sorts. As for why odd numbers are intuitively disliked, well, I have no idea lol. I've heard some people say that it has something to do with symmetry, orderliness, and math.
kusairoMay 16, 11:22 AM
May 16, 10:34 AM

Nov 2023
If I had to take a guess it's because humans are naturally attracted to symmetry. Odd numbers cannot be sliced in half so not symmetrical.

00cactus
May 16, 10:47 AM

Jun 2023
I'm not too sure why but I've always liked odd numbers much more than even ones so maybe I'm the different one.
May 16, 11:04 AM

Jun 2010
Tables that are rectangle have paired seats; circular tables also comes with even paired chairs. Pairs are symmetrical. In some cultures, things in pairs mean positivity and life, while odd number of things mean negativity and death.
May 16, 12:21 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
I don't think this applies to 5, and 7 is considered a special number in some contexts.
May 16, 12:29 PM

Jul 2016
One of my favorite numbers is 5, odds numbers fine in my eyes.
May 16, 12:36 PM

Sep 2019
Probably has to with symmetry and what not, I personally do prefer even numbers over odd ones but not by much.
May 16, 1:49 PM

Jun 2019
Said_enough said:

There's definitely a psychological aspect to it. To give some anecdotal experience, as a middle school kid I disliked odd numbers with an uncanny passion. The usual feeling was of 'incompleteness' or not doing something in matching pairs when experiencing odd numbers. Moving one step forward would automatically lead me to move another step to get that feeling of completeness when a pair would be formed. If I raised my one hand, I would be inclined to raise the other as well to form a pair and achieve the feeling of being complete. Weird I guess? Though that feeling is now absent within me so dunno what I should make of my experience.

Thank you!

Your experience does not seem so weird to me, thanks for sharing it. In primary school, I was under the unexplainable idea that I ought to perform every action twice. Thankfully, it did not last very long. Knowing that someone else has had a similar experience makes me want to investigate the matter seriously, but the manifestations seem to be manifold, so it would be difficult to perform a systematic study.

May 16, 2:45 PM

Jul 2013
Why are people even asking these ridiculous questions tbh???
May 16, 2:54 PM

Jun 2020
I thought most peoples favorite number was 7

May 16, 2:58 PM

Apr 2024
Reply to Meusnier
Said_enough said:

Thank you!

Your experience does not seem so weird to me, thanks for sharing it. In primary school, I was under the unexplainable idea that I ought to perform every action twice. Thankfully, it did not last very long. Knowing that someone else has had a similar experience makes me want to investigate the matter seriously, but the manifestations seem to be manifold, so it would be difficult to perform a systematic study.

@Meusnier

It sounds like you had some sort of OCD.
(Boo, why do I have positive affinity with every smart guy on this forum? >_>)
Black★Rock Shooter (TV) is beyond its time arthouse fantasy/psychological drama/psychological horror/action. Should you watch it? See my review.

May 16, 3:02 PM

Feb 2015
May 16, 3:03 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to Dumb
I thought most peoples favorite number was 7
@Dumb what makes you think that btw??
May 16, 3:09 PM

Jun 2020
Reply to DesuMaiden
@Dumb what makes you think that btw??
@DesuMaiden it is just everywhere like 7 continents 7 days of the week 7 wonders of the world etc and also just my favorite number

May 16, 3:38 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to Dumb
@DesuMaiden it is just everywhere like 7 continents 7 days of the week 7 wonders of the world etc and also just my favorite number
@Dumb I dont like the number 7 very much though...
May 16, 4:00 PM

May 2013
It's not odd numbers I dislike. It's prime numbers I dislike.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
May 16, 4:14 PM

Jul 2013
Assume everyone online is an fbi agent or troll. And behave accordingly. And that applies to the OP and everyone else on this forum...or any other site for that matter.
May 16, 10:15 PM

Jun 2019
PostMahouShoujo said:
@Meusnier

It sounds like you had some sort of OCD.
(Boo, why do I have positive affinity with every smart guy on this forum? >_>)

You might be right, but medical websites say that OCD is a long-lasting condition, and this behaviour was short-lived. Furthermore, I have never had similar thoughts (on other topics) since. I would still be very conscious about myself back then, realise that it was wrong, and refrain from doing it in public.

(In my experience, it is quite rare to have negative affinity with anyone here—I only have negative affinity with sociopaths who like anime like Babylon, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Sotsu (not the original series!), or School Days.)

Nette said:
It's not odd numbers I dislike. It's prime numbers I dislike.

Are you really trying to start WWIII? Hopefully this video changes your mind:

https://www.cc.com/video/6wtwlg/the-colbert-report-terence-tao

DesuMaiden said:
Why are people even asking these ridiculous questions tbh???

This is not a ridiculous question since it shows a consistent psychological bias humans have against odd numbers, although most animals do not even understand the notion of parity.

https://theconversation.com/honeybees-join-humans-as-the-only-known-animals-that-can-tell-the-difference-between-odd-and-even-numbers-181040

The honeycomb lattice is also known to be the most efficient one, so we already knew that bees were mathematicians.
MeusnierMay 16, 10:23 PM
May 16, 11:13 PM

Mar 2008
It's cultural though reasons are unclear why this became a thing. In China odd numbers were more preferred, in Japan odd numbers more preferred, in ancient Greece odd numbers also preferred but at some point the West turned to even numbers some reportedly claim this had to do with development of mathematics and seeing odd numbers as incomplete and inferior wile other cases argue on symmetry and man over nature in the West while more a notion of harmony with nature being more common in the East. I think why Chinese prefer odd numbers is because they see even numbers as yin and odd numbers as yang and these are meant to be together but if you add an odd number to an even number you wind up with an odd number.

https://doi.org/10.1177/0270467606295408
traedMay 16, 11:18 PM
May 17, 3:54 AM

Feb 2018
in asia it's mostly due to superstitions in almost all cultures.

May 17, 7:07 AM

Jun 2023
Reply to Tamasul

@Rhae Prime numbers ftw.

Honestly, I've never heard of odd numbers being intuitively disliked before. Other people's posts about symmetry make sense, though. Even if I don't particularly prefer even numbers over odd.
May 17, 7:13 AM

May 2019
Maybe because they are not even numbers so they really sound unfair.

May 19, 3:48 PM

Nov 2019
odd numbers are natural numbers, even numbers are bot numbers. I enjoy odd numbers a lot more since they align better with the fib retracement
May 21, 8:17 AM

Mar 2021
Not to use hard-to-understand musical knowledge, but it's probably the same reason why 5/8 and 7/8 sounds weirder than 2/4 and 4/4. It can't be divided evenly.
"Molly Ringwald" out right now - check my Linktree!

May 30, 2:07 AM

Sep 2020
I like odd numbers like 33 999 121 333

More topics from this board

» Are you e-famous? Are you an Internet celebrity? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 18

57 by pludel2 »»
3 minutes ago

» Favorite facts about MyAnimeList forums

LenRea - 1 hour ago

2 by IpreferEcchi »»
46 minutes ago

» Vaping

Rivermind - Oct 30, 2023

43 by LenRea »»
1 hour ago

» why is r/anime such a bad subreddit! ( 1 2 )

necro_dancer - Oct 11, 2018

83 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
2 hours ago

» Travel to Europe. Pls help

labellim - Feb 4, 2022

22 by Fate_Saber88 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.