Forum Settings
Forums

MAL Rewrite: Calling all grammar gurus and proofreading pros!

New
Jan 26, 4:39 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007

Rewriting one crummy synopsis at a time.

6,110+ synopses uploaded, and counting!

What is MAL Rewrite?
MAL Rewrite is a project tasked with the goal of rewriting all anime and manga synopses in our databases. Yes, all. We think that trustworthy, well-written synopses by the community for the community is one important factor when deciding what to watch/read. Towards this goal, we hold two recruitment drives per year to recruit users who are also passionate about synopses, and want to give a little of their time to MAL in a productive way.

How do I get involved?
Interested in volunteering? MAL Rewrite is currently looking for:
  • Writers: Users who have an aptitude and passion for writing and producing superior content. English does not have to be your native language. It's preferable that you've watched/read the series you're writing about.

• Editors: Users who possess excellent grammar skills and are proofreading ninjas with a keen eye for detail and accuracy. English does not have to be your native language. All editors must be good writers (and you can still write synopsis as an editor, too!).

Ready to participate?
Submit the MAL Rewrite Application Form. We will evaluate your writing and/or editing skills, and if we find that you meet our requirements, you will be invited to join the club. Please note that MAL Rewrite is always recruiting. There is no deadline.

We look forward to your submissions :)
Jan 27, 4:01 AM

Jun 2019
Please join MAL Rewrite!

What could go wrong? The deal is quite simple, you sell your soul for free and grammar gurus help you to improve your writing.

For those who will not bother reading the OP:

P.S. The first image is taken from Aiyou de Mishi.
Jan 27, 10:51 AM

Nov 2011
Reply to Meusnier
Please join MAL Rewrite!

What could go wrong? The deal is quite simple, you sell your soul for free and grammar gurus help you to improve your writing.

For those who will not bother reading the OP:

P.S. The first image is taken from Aiyou de Mishi.
@Meusnier 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
"Modesty may get you into Heaven, but it will not get you into JACS."

Jan 27, 12:55 PM

Jun 2019
Sakoori said:
@Meusnier 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

It is an honour to see you in this thread, Sakoori-senpai. Your example shall inspire generations of writers and editors!

砂氷先生ではありませんか。ご機嫌麗しゅう。
Jan 27, 2:23 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Please join, we need the fresh blood.
Jan 28, 11:46 AM
Celeste

Apr 2008
Was going to apply for an Editor position but stopped when I saw you have to write a synopsis still, even if you’re not applying to be a writer. I don’t consider myself to be a good writer, hence applying for editor. Seems like the editor test should instead be editing a passage with errors?
Go read the Push Pin Woman by Kawai Katsuo.
Jan 28, 12:29 PM
Reply to CelesteElaine
Was going to apply for an Editor position but stopped when I saw you have to write a synopsis still, even if you’re not applying to be a writer. I don’t consider myself to be a good writer, hence applying for editor. Seems like the editor test should instead be editing a passage with errors?
@CelesteElaine Editors have the option of writing synopses as well, which is why editor applicants are tested on writing ability. The editor test features an additional editing portion that has one edit a synopsis full of errors.
Jan 28, 1:50 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Reply to CelesteElaine
@CelesteElaine

You don't have to write a synopsis after the test, the editor application requires it but after that you can just edit stuff if you get accepted.
Jan 28, 6:00 PM
Aug 2020
Yeah that sounds as fun as watching documentary about sloths
Jan 29, 5:55 AM

Jul 2021
i applied last time but got rejected due to my terrible english🗿🗿🗿

not applying this time as i don't have as much time as i used to like 7 months ago plus not sure if my writing skills have become good enough.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jan 29, 9:31 AM

Apr 2018
JOIN NERDS COME ON IN
Jan 29, 9:45 AM
Mar 2019

Rewrite saved my life.
Jan 30, 11:23 PM

Jan 2023
can I ask? tbh, I want to join just because I want to write synopses for several manga that perhaps haven't been given a synopsis (I often come across manga that haven't been written yet because they might have just been added) is it okay like that?
oppai suki da
Jan 31, 5:41 AM

Jan 2016
Good luck to the guy rewriting Heartwork: Symphony of Destruction

Jan 31, 5:48 AM

Jun 2019
Kaname_69 said:
can I ask? tbh, I want to join just because I want to write synopses for several manga that perhaps haven't been given a synopsis (I often come across manga that haven't been written yet because they might have just been added) is it okay like that?

Once you join, you can write for anime, manga, and light novels, but nothing prevents you from sticking to a single genre (manga in your case).
Jan 31, 6:28 AM
Oct 2022
I don't really have time for it (I could do like, one a week at most) but I do love editing, so I'm just going to put it here instead of wasting time with an application. The Death Note one is super frustrating to edit with the condition that you should rewrite as little as possible. I still ended up rewriting parts and it took everything I have not to change 2/3 of it even more. I also spent like five minutes deciding if I wanted to lessen the risk of a runon sentence at the start or not because the pacing feels off. Now I feel like I should have.

Yagami Raito isn't a fan of the world. He does his best in school and is an honor student, placing first on the national mock exam, but, whether they be his apathetic and self-centered schoolmates or the vicious criminals on the news, considers most others to be the dregs of society.

After obtaining a notebook - the Death Note - which states that writing a person's name within will lead to their death, Raito's initial skepticism is overwhelmed by his curiosity; he tests it on a man holding a school hostage on televsion. Almost immediately after entering his name into the notebook, the man dies of a heart attack.

Having long dreamt of obtaining such power, Raito enacts a plan to kill all he deems unworthy of living. The unexplained deaths soon attract international attention, leading to the mysterious detective L joining the investigation. Raito's battle of wits begins, with the entire world at stake.

Edit: I'm realizing now that somebody could just copy this into an app, but they could also just use chat-gpt... so, whatever. It's not the SATs.
AntosinoJan 31, 6:31 AM
Jan 31, 6:44 AM
Reply to Antosino
I don't really have time for it (I could do like, one a week at most) but I do love editing, so I'm just going to put it here instead of wasting time with an application. The Death Note one is super frustrating to edit with the condition that you should rewrite as little as possible. I still ended up rewriting parts and it took everything I have not to change 2/3 of it even more. I also spent like five minutes deciding if I wanted to lessen the risk of a runon sentence at the start or not because the pacing feels off. Now I feel like I should have.

Yagami Raito isn't a fan of the world. He does his best in school and is an honor student, placing first on the national mock exam, but, whether they be his apathetic and self-centered schoolmates or the vicious criminals on the news, considers most others to be the dregs of society.

After obtaining a notebook - the Death Note - which states that writing a person's name within will lead to their death, Raito's initial skepticism is overwhelmed by his curiosity; he tests it on a man holding a school hostage on televsion. Almost immediately after entering his name into the notebook, the man dies of a heart attack.

Having long dreamt of obtaining such power, Raito enacts a plan to kill all he deems unworthy of living. The unexplained deaths soon attract international attention, leading to the mysterious detective L joining the investigation. Raito's battle of wits begins, with the entire world at stake.

Edit: I'm realizing now that somebody could just copy this into an app, but they could also just use chat-gpt... so, whatever. It's not the SATs.
@Antosino The editor application never says "that you should rewrite as little as possible." I assume you are referring to "You are being asked to edit—not to paraphrase. In other words, do not merely write a synopsis for Death Note or Naruto in your own words. Try to honor the writer's original intent." The purpose of this line is, at it says, to ensure the applicant doesn't just ignore the editing text and write their own synopsis for the shows in question. While much of the language in the editing text needs significant changes—and some needs to be cut altogether—the overall structure of the synopses is workable, and the final edit should largely resemble the originally assigned text.
Feb 1, 6:29 AM

Dec 2018
I'm a retired veteran with tons of free time and writing experience as well as university education. I applied; it should be fun.
Feb 1, 6:31 AM

Dec 2018
Reply to Mythologically
@Antosino The editor application never says "that you should rewrite as little as possible." I assume you are referring to "You are being asked to edit—not to paraphrase. In other words, do not merely write a synopsis for Death Note or Naruto in your own words. Try to honor the writer's original intent." The purpose of this line is, at it says, to ensure the applicant doesn't just ignore the editing text and write their own synopsis for the shows in question. While much of the language in the editing text needs significant changes—and some needs to be cut altogether—the overall structure of the synopses is workable, and the final edit should largely resemble the originally assigned text.
@Mythologically Is is alright that I rewrote a lot of the Death Note synopsis, but kept to the original message as much as possible? In fact it was pretty much 1:1 but I just wrote it (in my opinion) more clearly. Anyways, whether I make it or not, thanks for the opportunity.
Feb 1, 1:24 PM
Reply to StateofOhayo
@Mythologically Is is alright that I rewrote a lot of the Death Note synopsis, but kept to the original message as much as possible? In fact it was pretty much 1:1 but I just wrote it (in my opinion) more clearly. Anyways, whether I make it or not, thanks for the opportunity.
@StateofOhayo Hard to know without seeing it, but what you're describing doesn't sound like it would necessarily be a problem. If you submitted an app, you'll hear with feedback in a few days.
Feb 1, 4:08 PM

Dec 2018
Reply to Mythologically
@StateofOhayo Hard to know without seeing it, but what you're describing doesn't sound like it would necessarily be a problem. If you submitted an app, you'll hear with feedback in a few days.
@Mythologically Thank you :]
Feb 4, 5:35 AM
Nov 2023
CelesteElaine said:
Was going to apply for an Editor position but stopped when I saw you have to write a synopsis still, even if you’re not applying to be a writer. I don’t consider myself to be a good writer, hence applying for editor.

Same here

Mythologically said:
@CelesteElaine Editors have the option of writing synopses as well, which is why editor applicants are tested on writing ability. The editor test features an additional editing portion that has one edit a synopsis full of errors.

IMHO the Editor position should be split into "Editor and Writer" and "Editor only" because these two require different skills, and someone may be good at proofreading without being a good writer.
Mister_KayFeb 4, 6:15 PM
Feb 4, 8:51 AM

Oct 2018
Reply to Mister_Kay
CelesteElaine said:
Was going to apply for an Editor position but stopped when I saw you have to write a synopsis still, even if you’re not applying to be a writer. I don’t consider myself to be a good writer, hence applying for editor.

Same here

Mythologically said:

IMHO the Editor position should be split into "Editor and Writer" and "Editor only" because these two require different skills, and someone may be good at proofreading without being a good writer.
@ThisIsNotATest
Agreed. Part of me wanted to be an editor, but I don't really fancy writing.
Dreaming 'bout long gone things;
Days, on end, repeating infinitely.
Like the inside of a never-ending dream,
Whilst looking for the endless morn...
Only to return to the dream again
Feb 4, 4:39 PM

Mar 2017
Reply to Fleeting_Dream
@ThisIsNotATest
Agreed. Part of me wanted to be an editor, but I don't really fancy writing.
@Fleeting_Dream
@ThisIsNotATest
If you want to edit, I really recommend applying despite the writing test. It's not like you'll ever have to write a synopsis for the club if you don't want to, and I got in despite my writing being pretty bland. You can even look at it as an additional grammar test if you want to.
Feb 4, 9:26 PM

Oct 2019
Sounds interesting enough, but like... something like this takes time and effort.

its not exactly something that i would do for just the hell of it. Writing skills do have their value.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Feb 5, 5:55 AM

Mar 2022
I think I'll apply to be an editor...it isn't too difficult of a job and I get to not only keep my English skills in line but also read synopses that can introduce me to more anime and manga, it's a win-win for me.
Feb 6, 3:40 PM

Oct 2018
Reply to iShipMyFriends
@Fleeting_Dream
@ThisIsNotATest
If you want to edit, I really recommend applying despite the writing test. It's not like you'll ever have to write a synopsis for the club if you don't want to, and I got in despite my writing being pretty bland. You can even look at it as an additional grammar test if you want to.
@iShipMyFriends
Gave it a shot, but got declined, que sera sera ig.
Dreaming 'bout long gone things;
Days, on end, repeating infinitely.
Like the inside of a never-ending dream,
Whilst looking for the endless morn...
Only to return to the dream again
Feb 7, 4:38 PM

Mar 2017
Reply to Fleeting_Dream
@iShipMyFriends
Gave it a shot, but got declined, que sera sera ig.
@Fleeting_Dream
Oh </3
Better luck next time, then!
Jul 30, 10:57 PM
Jul 2024
MAL Rewrite aims to rewrite all anime and manga synopses in our databases. We believe trustworthy, well-written synopses are crucial for helping the community decide what to watch or read. We recruit passionate volunteers twice a year to help us achieve this goal.

How do I get involved?

Interested in volunteering? MAL Rewrite is looking for:

Writers: Passionate about writing superior content. English proficiency is not required. Preferably, you've watched/read the series you're writing about.

Editors: Excellent grammar skills and attention to detail. Editors should also be good writers.

Grab a coffee and a sandwich, and join us in making a difference, one synopsis at a time!

More topics from this board

» Summer Stack Challenges 🎾 ( 1 2 )

Kineta - Jul 30

65 by Serafos »»
6 minutes ago

» Related Anime/Manga Section Changes ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - May 23

121 by ratchet-0417 »»
11 hours ago

» MAL Game "Fantasy Anime League" Opens for Spring 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kineta - Mar 17

156 by BasilZero »»
Jul 28, 4:09 PM

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

248 by nanajp »»
Jul 20, 2:48 AM

» Forum Conversation View: Now available ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kineta - Aug 29, 2023

180 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
Jul 19, 6:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.