Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Eminence in Shadow (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (15) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 5, 2022 7:00 AM

Nov 2011
This is was actually kinda cool for the episode premiere. Most of the main cast makes an appearance and Shadow of course. There's some minor fan service but the thrillish vibes are there.

Action seems decent too for what's worth especially coming from Shadow. Not sure how I feel about the animation quality yet but it's watchable for sure. Excited to see what else this anime has to show.
Oct 5, 2022 7:00 AM

Jul 2017
One of the most anticipated newest shows this Fall, and truth be told, they are NOT kidding around.

The school idol Akane Nishino beholding a facade to be liked as much as possible, against the background character that is Minoru Kageno, purely a loggerhead situation. And the former getting kidnapped for the latter to take action like the Chuunibyou that he is to subdue the kidnappers, and he does it without any remorse like the skilled assassin he is, proclaiming himself as the famed Eminence in Shadow.

The famed Truck-kun does what is promised with the Isekai trope, and this kickstarts Kageno's expedition with his Shadow Garden team of mercenaries, all ready to take action from the Code Geass Lelouch-feeling like character.

OxT's OP never fails to slap.

NGL, the best premiere yet (until Chainsaw Man arrives), even if this feels like a foreshadowing epilogue to adapt later volumes get the ball rolling.
KANLen09Oct 7, 2022 1:26 PM
Oct 5, 2022 7:01 AM

Feb 2014
This is my most anticipated anime of the season! I'm glad it gets 20 episodes! Hope to see more of the guy. I need more power :D
Oct 5, 2022 7:07 AM

Jun 2019
Ayee... that wasn't so bad. I didn't have high hopes but it sure exceeded my expectations, so that's good. People have been hyping this up for a long time so I'm definitely interested to see what's that special in it. The premiere was pretty standard but we'll see how everything goes from here on out. Quite a lot of violence which again, I wasn't expecting. Production seems aight as well, not anything out of the park but still decent enough. I liked the girl's designs as well. Really looking forward to the upcoming episodes.
Oct 5, 2022 7:16 AM

May 2020
One of those anticipated series this season which really ain’t something we see for an isekai usually, blame the mass-produced junk we get every season.

For a first appearance main dude may seem like a gloomy black-haired high-schooler, the creature we’re all over familiar with but no people have a hidden side, the persona they want to see themselves in and yep without being an exception to the human psychology, he too admires to be something, “Eminence in shadow”.

I don’t think we’ll see Nishino Akane, the girl Cid saved from those goons again as now that he’s already iskeai’d but still kinda cool getting those action scenes and handful of gore right off the bat. So really the kind of premiere which makes that much anticipation worth it.
Oct 5, 2022 7:24 AM
Jul 2020
When does it air on crunchyroll? :)
Oct 5, 2022 7:44 AM

Apr 2018
I've heard too much about this, everywhere on social media. So, my expectations were a bit high but it surely met them. One thing that stayed with me is the character design of the female cast which is pretty solid. The MC is potrayed as your usual black-haired dude but seems like he'll be a tad different compared to the rest. Great first episode and the ED is done by the voice characters themselves which is great. Studio Nexus did the calvary anime so the action will be great for sure. The action sequence around 13:30 or something was very smooth.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Oct 5, 2022 7:47 AM
Jun 2022
Softhenic03 said:
One of those anticipated series this season which really ain’t something we see for an isekai usually, blame the mass-produced junk we get every season.

For a first appearance main dude may seem like a gloomy black-haired high-schooler, the creature we’re all over familiar with but no people have a hidden side, the persona they want to see themselves in and yep without being an exception to the human psychology, he too admires to be something, “Eminence in shadow”.

I don’t think we’ll see Nishino Akane, the girl Cid saved from those goons again as now that he’s already iskeai’d but still kinda cool getting those action scenes and handful of gore right off the bat. So really the kind of premiere which makes that much anticipation worth it.

Oct 5, 2022 7:51 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Dschlz said:
When does it air on crunchyroll? :)
This won't be on CR, it's a Hidive exclusive
Oct 5, 2022 7:57 AM

Nov 2019
Only the first episode, but it's already enough to make me want to see more.

As expected of the Stylish Ruffian Slayer

Oct 5, 2022 7:57 AM

Apr 2014
"I need more power"
I really like this kind of MC. Strong, not dumb, not naive, and not too optimistic.
何それ?意味分かんない
Oct 5, 2022 7:58 AM

Feb 2021
Wow and so it begins, the anime starts very differently from how the light novel begins.
We don't even get to see him being taken by truck-kun, it's just a news report of the aftermath.

But damn that was a great first episode, I did not expect it to be like this.
It was a great introduction to how insane Cid "I want to be stronger than a nuclear bomb" Kagenou can be.

And then we see a glimpse of the future in the last scene there, just wow.

As a fan of the light novel I'm really happy this is getting 20 episodes.
Oct 5, 2022 7:58 AM
Aug 2021
I think, it was a good first episode
Oct 5, 2022 7:59 AM

Nov 2010
I thought the show was a comedy from its title, but it's more violent than I thought. And it turned out a mere cingy isekai story after all.
Oct 5, 2022 8:01 AM
Jan 2021
I think it's just a normal anime.
Oct 5, 2022 8:06 AM
May 2022
That was some good stuff right there didn't expect this to be so good lol. Can't wait for EP2 people who didn't read the manga would be surprised thinking it was gonna be some edgy stuff but💀
Oct 5, 2022 8:06 AM

Jan 2021
Okay that was better than I expected, I went in with hopes of this being something fresh and so far it looks really promising, the characters seem fun and the production looks pretty good.

Nothing stands out to me but I don't have any complaints about anything either.
I really like the MC so far as well. I'm glad this is getting 20 episodes which means there will be pretty good pacing.

Overall this is a solid start and I can't wait to see more.
Oct 5, 2022 8:10 AM
Jan 2019
I havent read the Light novel
I have read some chapters of the manga and its funny af
The anime adaptation feels a lot more serious tbh
Oct 5, 2022 8:12 AM
Apr 2022
First episode is good also the opening song not bad for episode 1 , I like that they add the gore scenes just like in the manga. I also like Cid's VA it really suits him especially when he switches to being serious or just being the SHADOW.

I hope they keep this up and not ruin the anime.

We want to se how Cid play my favorite Moonlight sonata.
Oct 5, 2022 8:13 AM
Jun 2020
Oct 5, 2022 8:16 AM

Feb 2019
Oooo boi this should be interesting
My Candies:
“Even when you were so depressed and emotionally unstable, the taste of your coffee jelly stayed the same." Kusuo Saiki
Oct 5, 2022 8:18 AM

Feb 2022
grrrr truck-kun

Good, brutal start so far.

I like Kageno, be interesting to see more of him and his training - i know we had a bit at the end - as well as more fights etc - he does acknowledge his weakness which is good
More background on Nishino would be good, not sure about her atm but give it time

Chūnibyō alert , honestly at the end there he really looks like and acts one lol
Oct 5, 2022 8:19 AM

Jul 2020
The visuals look appealing, can't really say anything about the plot at this point. But I wanna see more
Oct 5, 2022 8:22 AM
Jan 2020
Now this is one solid ass premiere, I sincerely hope they keep this kind of quality throughout all of 20 episodes.

Darwin's Game didn't look that good nor directed so I wasn't expecting that much.

Now time for the complete 180 for the next episode
Oct 5, 2022 8:23 AM
Dec 2014
I think this could be Isekai of the Year!!
Oct 5, 2022 8:27 AM
Nov 2021
I liked the first episode, it has some depth
Oct 5, 2022 8:28 AM
Feb 2016
To writers:

If you, for any reason, need to use kidnapping, stripping and rape threats on an otherwise irrelevant female character so male lead Awesome McCool Guy can come in for the save and spout edgy nonsense, shortly before being ISEKAIED into being the leader of a group of super assassins clothed in black. . . .

Don't. Just don't. Please seek help; you clearly didn't get enough attention in highschool.
Oct 5, 2022 8:28 AM
Jul 2022
Glad To See People Loving The First EPISODE 👍
Oct 5, 2022 8:30 AM

Jul 2020
SunlitSonata said:
To writers:

If you, for any reason, need to use kidnapping, stripping and rape threats on an otherwise irrelevant female character so male lead Awesome McCool Guy can come in for the save and spout edgy nonsense, shortly before being ISEKAIED into being the leader of a group of super assassins clothed in black. . . .

Don't. Just don't. Please seek help; you clearly didn't get enough attention in highschool.

Awww I'm afraid you're a bit late and the script has already been written.. too bad.
Oct 5, 2022 8:31 AM

Oct 2017
Stylish thug slayer lol. If I didn't knew this was gonna be an isekai I would have been completely fooled by the start. Such a waste of a badass protag in a normal high school setting. He beat the shit outta those thugs but couldn't beat the truck. I hope we get to see the girl he saved in isekai.

Neat start, was really hyped for this and it delivered.
MegamiRemOct 5, 2022 9:05 AM
Oct 5, 2022 8:33 AM
Mar 2022
Start of first episode wasnt in manga
Its very great.
Oct 5, 2022 8:37 AM

Feb 2018
"I NEED MORE POWER!" .. SHOW ME YOUR MOTIVATION"
Oct 5, 2022 8:40 AM

Aug 2008
Damn, it could be such an awesome series if it wasn't isekai. Just a regular guy being a crowbar vigilante. Having power because of his dedication and training, not just because of isekai bullshit. I was planning to watch it, but seeing how much better it could be not being an isekai made me lose most of interest. Such a shame.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Oct 5, 2022 8:40 AM
Feb 2016
Inexplicable said:

Awww I'm afraid you're a bit late and the script has already been written.. too bad.

That was meant to be rhetorical. It's an unfortunate taste of the incompetency and overcompensation of this author. Also, you have Darling in the FranXX as a favorite. Clearly your standards for quality have long since given up.
Oct 5, 2022 8:42 AM
May 2022
Next episode would turn 180 trust me😂
Episode 1 feels like a thriller and horror type of vibes idk what they're eating but that's one of the best premiere so far for Ep 1 this fall.
Oct 5, 2022 8:46 AM

Feb 2018
Fucking awesome. I laughed out loud during all the episode, especially when the truck-kun isekai-d our mc and then credits appeared.
But what's even more funny that someone takes it seriously lol

One of the best start episodes I've seen, hope that it'll deliver
Oct 5, 2022 8:48 AM

Jul 2020
SunlitSonata said:
Inexplicable said:

That was meant to be rhetorical. It's an unfortunate taste of the incompetency and overcompensation of this author. Also, you have Darling in the FranXX as a favorite. Clearly your standards for quality have long since given up.

I don't care what it was meant to be but I know what it sounded like - pretentious moralistic bullshit. Then again, what would one expect from someone whose best argument is shitting on other people's favorites
Oct 5, 2022 8:52 AM
Sep 2019
It's the worst adaptation of the first episode so far. It's like the studio doesn't even try to understand what the story is actually trying to tell and just goes 'hey people like edgy, super serious MC right? Well just made him as generic as other isekai MC'.

Goddammit i hope they're just trolling with this first episode and back to what Eminence of shadow supposed to be on the second episode.
Oct 5, 2022 8:54 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Wow, ok, we're starting off kinda violent aren't we? Also, I guess Nishino won't make another appearance, huh.

Shoutout to Sonate au Clair de Lune.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Oct 5, 2022 8:56 AM

Feb 2013
So generic Isekai.

what a disappointing start.

Also he is a murderer. But the show is trying to make it feel he not a villain. This episode has so clashing tones. In stead of calling cops on what he saw he took justice into his own hands, I thought we were getting a different type of Light Yagami for a sec.
Oct 5, 2022 8:58 AM

Mar 2022
haha another isekai
loved this episode
" I NEED MORE POWER " iconic line ig

Oct 5, 2022 8:59 AM

Apr 2021
I only read the manga of this series, and I thought the first chapter was hilarious.
But it seems like the anime is following the light novel. I didn't know the light novel this much different from the manga.
Oct 5, 2022 9:00 AM

Apr 2021
AkeZZZ said:
"I need more power"
I really like this kind of MC. Strong, not dumb, not naive, and not too optimistic.
Oct 5, 2022 9:00 AM

Feb 2022
Mimaaaaaaa said:
It's the worst adaptation of the first episode so far. It's like the studio doesn't even try to understand what the story is actually trying to tell and just goes 'hey people like edgy, super serious MC right? Well just made him as generic as other isekai MC'.

Goddammit i hope they're just trolling with this first episode and back to what Eminence of shadow supposed to be on the second episode.

Episode 1 adapted from the beginning of Light Novel Volume 4

in episode 2 it will return to volume 1 of the light novel and the atmosphere of the story will be different from episode 1
Oct 5, 2022 9:01 AM

Oct 2012
ok.............
Oct 5, 2022 9:01 AM
Jan 2022
Erixsen said:
I only read the manga of this series, and I thought the first chapter was hilarious.
But it seems like the anime is following the light novel. I didn't know the light novel this much different from the manga.

Actually, it's mostly being taken from volume 4 of the light novel, where there was a flashback to Kagenou's old life for a chapter.
Oct 5, 2022 9:05 AM
Oct 2016
fucking magic rag knockout. it's 2022.
-The Wandering Albatross
Feb 2021
10/10, would recommend
May 2021
Love this series and Episode was cool! a bit different from manga but good job Looking forward to next episodes
Oct 5, 2022 9:06 AM
Apr 2017
That was incredible. Loved it! The way they made things serious in tone gave Cid's goal more weight. I like how the episode was focused on just that goal. It made the reveal at the end that he wanted magic hit harder. While I can see the comedic appeal of the manga (even though this anime is adapting the LN), I think showing his goal in a serious way gives a solid foundation for the rest of the story. It's still obvious that Cid is not right in the head before the reincarnation.. just in a different way lol. The opening is creative, shows the love the studio is putting into the show.

Ok I'm done, had to get that out
Pages (15) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2022

186 by ShadowkillZ »»
Sep 4, 7:58 PM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2023

765 by BlaiseAuto »»
Sep 4, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2022

149 by ShadowkillZ »»
Sep 4, 7:00 PM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2022

193 by ShadowkillZ »»
Sep 4, 7:56 AM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 9, 2022

165 by ShadowkillZ »»
Sep 4, 2:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.