Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 3, 2021 7:18 PM

Oct 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
RIP the scabbards, Oden came back but immedietly left again.

Roger's adventure continues and he reaches Zou. Watching a chibi Pedro made me kind of emotional, specially cause now he's dead. Also poor Buggy and Shanks, they couldn't go till the end with Roger due to Buggy being sick but Shank's saying that someday he'll go there with his own ship gave me chills, what a chad.

Finally the Laughing Tale, man with the OST playing in the background and watching all them laugh gave me shivers.
Apr 3, 2021 7:27 PM

Jan 2020
What a perfect episode. Thank you so much Toei. 5/5 like always

Everything about it was perfect from start to finish. Buggy, Shanks and the scabbards were really unlucky though haha.

Bink's sake + memories almost made me cry and I actually loved how they handled the final scene

Apr 3, 2021 7:34 PM

Apr 2014
Dude that song at the end felt so perfect. Like seriously wow. The song at the end is called Memories if anyone wants to know. Like dang. This felt like the perfect song because Roger reached the island he wanted to go to. Everything he has done and all he did. He became what he is called. I give you! Gol D. Roger! King of the Pirates. Conqueror of the Seas! The man who traveled around the world and the only man who made it far with his great crew! What a blast! X3
Apr 3, 2021 7:34 PM

Feb 2014
Subpar animation, people are settling down for too low, still I was waiting for that ending ever since I read it in the manga.
Apr 3, 2021 7:40 PM

Jan 2008
Them playing the 1st ending theme, Memories, made me so incredibly happy. What a way to end the episode.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Apr 3, 2021 7:41 PM
Oct 2020
one of my favourite episodes I cried lol peak one piece the song choice and the animation and the ending were so good
Mot_eldnurtApr 3, 2021 7:56 PM
Apr 3, 2021 7:42 PM

Jan 2020
Mot_eldnurt said:
one of my favourite episodes I cries peak one piece

Yep. This episode was beautiful indeed

Apr 3, 2021 7:48 PM

Feb 2021
Wow, things are really happening, Roger and his adventures were always shown in flashbacks and in memories but now we see him arrive at the final island and name it laugh tale. Plus, I always thought buggy and shanks arrived at the island too. Which always made me wonder why they were still pirates after traveling the world. But I guess they are still looking for it. A really amazing episode. But, they said "Joyboy" left the treasure, so there must be at least a ponegliff or letter.
Apr 3, 2021 7:51 PM
Jul 2016
In my mind, it was always the To the Grand Line OST playing when I thought the "They laughed" scene, but Memories was also a very good choice, I was not expecting that.
Apr 3, 2021 7:54 PM
Jun 2020
Another great chapter. When 'memories' started playing in the background they already had me in the mood. Damn how nice to have enjoyed this moment.
Apr 3, 2021 7:56 PM

Jun 2015
Jesus Christ, only shivers as Roger reached Laugh Tale while Memories was playing
Apr 3, 2021 8:08 PM

Jun 2014
I swear to god I thought they were about to reach the end of the episode before showing the final scene lol. But damn, the nostalgia of hearing the very first ED, a song from 20+ years ago, while the Roger Pirates accomplish what no other crew has done......perfect way to end an episode. It makes me even more excited to see Luffy and the Straw Hats eventually reach this point themselves, so we can finally see the One Piece too.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 3, 2021 8:08 PM

Mar 2020
My god, they nailed it. Memories even played!!!! What an iconic moment right here. All of this just gets me more excited for when we actually reach the last island, the Laugh Tale!!
Apr 3, 2021 8:18 PM

Apr 2013
Great episode. Loved that chapter in the manga and the ending with Roger and the “they laughed” moment is an iconic scene. Back to Oden and Wano soon.
Apr 3, 2021 8:21 PM

Jun 2016
What a beautiful episode it sent me into tears.
Apr 3, 2021 8:59 PM

Jul 2007
O M G. I am speechless beyond words. Never did I ever expect Memories would be playing during that Key final scene. This episode was a PURE nostalgia trip with some great animation and music connecting to the past of 20 years of one piece.

The truth is out, Joyboy was the historical figure in posession of the legendary treasure and the final island is named "LAUGH TALE" a tale full of laughs.

The most craziest thing about this reveal is that ODA confirmed that it was always Laugh tale all along but because of the way we interperted it on the translations, we always assumed it was raftel.

This was a moment for us manga readers that made us truly re-evaluate the mystery behind what the One piece actually is. Why is it so unreachable to the point where the Roger Pirates them selfs laughed hysterically until they had tears coming out of their eyes and realized their goal is but a dead end.

ManWild said:
What a perfect episode. Thank you so much Toei. 5/5 like always

Everything about it was perfect from start to finish. Buggy, Shanks and the scabbards were really unlucky though haha.

Bink's sake + memories almost made me cry and I actually loved how they handled the final scene

I also like how they paused during the scene with dramatic effect before Roger said the words "Laugh tale" honestly it was perfect, there is no way this could have been any better.

Viewers can really have that sort of revelation that this is a immportant moment in the series.

One Day luffy will arrive here and have to make his own descisions about what to do with this legendary treasure.
ArtimesGamerApr 3, 2021 9:38 PM

Apr 3, 2021 9:52 PM

Dec 2013
What a magnificent episode. The OST at the end got me more emotional than I expected.

It's too bad this will be the end of Roger's story.
Apr 3, 2021 10:05 PM
Dec 2018
alphazero4um said:
Dude that song at the end felt so perfect. Like seriously wow. The song at the end is called Memories if anyone wants to know. Like dang. This felt like the perfect song because Roger reached the island he wanted to go to. Everything he has done and all he did. He became what he is called. I give you! Gol D. Roger! King of the Pirates. Conqueror of the Seas! The man who traveled around the world and the only man who made it far with his great crew! What a blast! X3

He won't be the only one for long. Wait till you see Pirate king Monkey D Luffy
Apr 3, 2021 10:30 PM

Sep 2019
As great as always
and they even played the 1st ending of one piece, dang that was nostalgic

"俺は海賊王になる男だ!!!"
Apr 3, 2021 10:33 PM
Jan 2021
As always a 5/5. Toei animation really does a great job, Especially with the season 1 ending this time, It brought back some good memories.
Apr 3, 2021 10:45 PM

Aug 2019
They really slowed down the pacing just to end the episode at that moment, which normally wouldn't bother me except for the fact that the rest of the episode was mediocre and the animation was subpar. I especially didn't like that Toei showed a vague silhouette of whatever the One Piece is, which sort of resembled a tree or mound in the distance. Now we gotta wait 5+ years to see if Toei was accurate with what they teased.
Apr 3, 2021 10:52 PM
Jul 2018
damn what an amazing episode, really enjoyed the adventures with oden and cool to see and find out more about rogers adventures and stuff, cant wait for more!
Apr 3, 2021 11:03 PM
Nov 2020
I honestly started to tear up when binks sake started playing
Apr 3, 2021 11:28 PM

Feb 2021
haha were almost at the funny number
Apr 3, 2021 11:49 PM

Apr 2015
This was one of the best episodes even among this entire flashback which Toei has nailed exceptionally. They actually played an old ending theme (which is a first in one piece I think unless I'm mistaken). The whole Laughtale scene and the final few minutes made me tear up because if its this sad right now I cant imagine myself when Luffy actually finds One piece and his journey ends. The best flashback in One piece and its not even over yet!
Apr 4, 2021 12:00 AM
Apr 2016
curvedtree said:
Subpar animation, people are settling down for too low, still I was waiting for that ending ever since I read it in the manga.
Really hope you're just trolling, since otherwise that's one of the worst takes I've seen in a while. There's no need for godly animation given there was no fight or anything movement-packed; and with that in mind, it was absolutely perfect especially because of the directing; the decision to put in Memories as the OST was extremely commendable, and everyone but you seems to acknowledge that.
Apr 4, 2021 12:36 AM

Sep 2019
Chills.

Damn, what an episode. They really did play the first ED. Man, this is too emotional. Them setting foot in the last island with that song made me tear up.
Apr 4, 2021 12:57 AM

Jul 2015
Sad seeing young pedro while knowing the noble sacrifice he made in the fight against Big mom. Damn that end was beautiful, not only seeing Shanks and Buggy's good friendship but also Roger and the rest reaching Laugh Tale.

Apr 4, 2021 1:30 AM

Sep 2018
Seriously... what the hell was that rom-com song doing there at the end of the episode??
Apr 4, 2021 1:39 AM

Nov 2010
Lepru said:
Seriously... what the hell was that rom-com song doing there at the end of the episode??

That's anime's first ending song. Nostalgia trip
Apr 4, 2021 1:43 AM

Sep 2018
Dahaka_ said:
Lepru said:

That's anime's first ending song. Nostalgia trip

Well...Yes, I get it, but it ruined the mood for me. That song is completely different from every other theme of the anime.
I would have preferred one of the usual themes.
Apr 4, 2021 2:09 AM

Jul 2019
Wow Toei really knows what they are doing, almost teared up at the end, i was actually expecting Memories to be played at some point, maybe near the end of the anime, but didn't really expect it to be used this soon, it was a really nice surprise. Amazing, this is truly peak One piece.
Apr 4, 2021 2:23 AM

Jun 2020
For me it was even better than Episode 957.
I want to say so much but can't say more..
Apr 4, 2021 2:53 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
I'm tearing up right now and drinking my own tears, the ending song “memories” is so powerful and emotional, this is such a milestone we're hitting.
Apr 4, 2021 3:11 AM

Nov 2015
i feel like joy boy backstory will be the peak of the flash backs .

Apr 4, 2021 3:26 AM
Mar 2019
gosh, this episode reminded me why OP is so special, dem feels, I teared a little this episode
Apr 4, 2021 3:31 AM

Nov 2015
The whole episode, right in the feels.

For me, it started with seeing Roger and little Pedro. Knowing how his story ends, that certainly got it started.

Then Shanks getting the straw hat, and Bink's Sake. And then, in a complete but very pleasant surprise, the very first ED theme. It fit extremely well with the idea of showing where it all started. The origin of the Laugh Tale name.

This one was just brilliantly done. I was afraid the flashback would be dull, but they've carried it off very well indeed.
Risk something, take back what's yours
Say something they know they might attack you for.
--Linkin Park, "Hands Held High"
Apr 4, 2021 3:52 AM

Jul 2016
G_Spark233 said:
What a magnificent episode. The OST at the end got me more emotional than I expected.

It's too bad this will be the end of Roger's story.

One more ep of Roger badass
Apr 4, 2021 4:01 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
seraphblade said:
The whole episode, right in the feels.

For me, it started with seeing Roger and little Pedro. Knowing how his story ends, that certainly got it started.

Then Shanks getting the straw hat, and Bink's Sake. And then, in a complete but very pleasant surprise, the very first ED theme. It fit extremely well with the idea of showing where it all started. The origin of the Laugh Tale name.

This one was just brilliantly done. I was afraid the flashback would be dull, but they've carried it off very well indeed.

x2, summed up my thoughts perfectly. ED 1, talk about a pleasant surprise!

One of the best OP episode in recent times!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 4, 2021 5:02 AM
Jun 2020
so Raftel = Laugh tale WOW
Apr 4, 2021 5:09 AM

Jun 2011
Raftel = Laugh tale.. I will call this One Piece is actually:

& HE LAUGHED
Apr 4, 2021 5:32 AM

Jul 2007
Its not about being funny because its a joke like some people presume. Personally I think its something so unreachable with the current technology in their world, that they laughed hysterically at the fact that there is literally nothing they can do about it. A tale full of laughs, a journey of years of swashbuckling adventures only to come to an abrupt dead end. Which makes you think, just what in the hell is luffy going to do about it and what in gods name is the one piece treasure?

My hunch is its something from a diff time period and with far more advanced technology that when pirates lay their eyes upon, they look at it as an alien object not from their world and are just clueless and dumbstruck. hence why they laugh.

To put it into perspective, how would people from like the 1500's or early 16th century react to seeing an automobile car or an airplane Jet. They would probably think its something very alien like a spaceship visiting their planet.

This is what I think one piece is. Its an ancient piece of technology that completly rivals the current piracy era.

But I am deffinitly open to hear everyone's theories about this now that you get a little more of a hint about what it could potentually be.

ArtimesGamerApr 4, 2021 5:41 AM

Apr 4, 2021 6:22 AM

Oct 2009
At times like these it makes me happy that I continued with the anime and not switch to the manga.
When Memories came on I teared up and was smiling like a idiot :')

So Raftel was Laugh Tale all along... 
「ラフテル」wonder if it was only oblivious to non Japanese speakers?
Apr 4, 2021 7:29 AM
Jul 2018
Oden only stayed a few hours in wano surprised me, an interesting point.
Apr 4, 2021 7:49 AM

Apr 2013
I had never expected that they would play "memories" here, but it fits so well, an iconic song for an iconic scene.
Apr 4, 2021 8:06 AM
May 2019
Perfect episode with very good animation
Playing the first ED "memories" was a good décision :)
Apr 4, 2021 8:08 AM

Jan 2014
Truly the GOAT

Genuinely feel bad to people who have not watched One Piece...
Apr 4, 2021 8:10 AM
Dec 2015
What can i say, this flashback is the best moment in the anime history! Poor Oden is about to discovery what is happening in Wano...
Apr 4, 2021 8:12 AM

Apr 2019
Great episode and lovely song to end the episode. So good!

Apr 4, 2021 8:33 AM

Jun 2011
"He laughed" is one of the best panels in Wano arc and damn it was glorious in the anime. I can't wait to watch the whole Wano arc in full once it's completed. Beautiful!

I saw this comment on reddit as well,
I am hoping Oda on purpose made it ambiguous if it was gonna be Raftel or Laftale - Laugh Tale.

just so he could be like yohoho u translated it to Raftel for 20 years but it was LAUGH TALE ALL A LONG

surprise that they added One piece ENDING 1 when they got to laugh tale.

The yohohoho in your comment is apt because the last line of Binks' Sake is "Tale of laughs/Funny story".

And hence the Bink's Sake song before the moment! Brilliantly done.
ToG25thBaamApr 4, 2021 8:39 AM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1100 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

IzanaSolos - Apr 6

175 by Yubisoft »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 455 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

JusticeGundam - Jun 12, 2010

110 by bakakisima »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 454 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

JusticeGundam - Jun 5, 2010

118 by bakakisima »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 453 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JusticeGundam - May 29, 2010

95 by bakakisima »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 452 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

JusticeGundam - May 22, 2010

104 by bakakisima »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.