Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Oct 26, 2019 10:02 AM

Feb 2019
A good movie. My favourite part was the romance between Jiro and Nahoko. It wasn't bittersweet for me, it was sad. I don't know how I feel about him pursuing his ambitions but sort of not taking care of his wife.
Nov 10, 2019 9:53 AM

Apr 2008
It bllows how they so often kill someone for the movies to be great :P

Apr 6, 2020 2:27 PM

Sep 2017
2nd movie of my Studio Ghibli marathon , definitely an interesting watch , the color palette / aesthetics were really cool and the sounds were top-notch it was like ASMR . The romance was nice , I liked Nahoko but the MC's voice was really disturbing for me , I couldn't relate to the character or feel any emotions towards him...
8/10
yikes
Apr 9, 2020 6:59 PM

Sep 2014
I actually watched this in a small cinema for niche stuff like this when it came out, which makes it one of the few anime movies I ever managed to catch in cinema.

Up to this day I wasnt aware of the split opinions on this movie (even though it has a good score), I only vaguely remember the political stuff.

This is probably my favourite Miyazaki Movie, aside from Princess Mononoke. And the movies are polar opposites of each other, fantasy and a biography. I cant even tell you why I like it so much.
Miyazaki always shared his passion for flying things and this culminated in his final final movie about a guy who makes planes. Maybe thats it? He finally let his passion all out?

Its not this overly fantastic adventure, its down to earth, almost volatile. Its imperfect. There lies an immense beauty in it.

PS: My favourite comments here are definitely about MCs voice, aka Hideaki Anno, and his lack of emotion. Considering hes most famous for his expression of depression in the form of Evangelion I cant think of anything more ironic.

rated it 8/10 six years ago and I will stick with it. Should finally read Der Zauberberg.
Comander-07Apr 9, 2020 7:17 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jun 22, 2020 3:29 AM

Nov 2018
surprisingly interesting, even my dad (who doesn't like anime at all) sat down to watch with me

❝見つめないで 悲しい方を
目を瞑って 口づけしよう
甘く溶けるメロディー❞

❝邪魔しないで
真夜中のパラダイス
息もせずに潜っていく
二人だけのダンス❞
Jul 21, 2020 12:28 PM

Nov 2017
Masterpiece!!! 10/10. Hats down to Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli!!!!
Sep 24, 2020 4:12 AM

Aug 2018
This film is a stunning piece of art. It definitely is understandable why Miyazaki decided to make this film as his last one (of course this is no longer true). The artstyle which resulted into some of the most beautiful shots in animation history is gorgeous to look at. The music was amazing as always thanks to legendary Joe Hisaishi.

Now if we start talking about the story it's definitely not bad at all. Because this suppost to be based on real person I can't say much, of course it is questionable how many things are true in the romance part of the film. The story might not be the strongest of Ghibli films but it still managed to deliver all we needed to see. The ending felt completed to me but I know this is matter of preference and every viewer has it's own wishes and expectations on how the film should end. It feels like the film focused on emotional beauty more than on everything else which is nothing new if you seen Miyazakis other films.

For me this feels like a very strong film if I had to put it along other Ghibli creations, It probably is the most personal film to it's creator aswell because it's the only film where Miyazaki actually cried when presenting it on premiere.

9.2/10
Oct 22, 2020 11:33 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
This was the first movie I quite did not like that much. The music was nice but the story was missing stuff. And that "romance" was ... idk :/

But yeah still ok to watch (once) xD

Nov 8, 2020 5:55 PM

Jan 2013
God these engine sounds ... lmao, I can just imagine some voice actors doing the weirdest things with their mouths to create them.

Realy liked the movie, I don't know much about the actual person it's about but I'd say the story was interesting to follow.
Not every story needs to have a defining moment either,

9/10 from me.
Dec 30, 2020 7:20 AM

Feb 2012
He killed millions...
Jan 26, 2021 11:21 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
An interesting film, but I found it to be fairly boring. While I'm not one to expect bombastic fight scenes in everything I watch, I just found the disjointed storytelling in this mundane and uninteresting. As soon as I saw they were developing military planes with intentions to bomb the US, I knew this wouldn't exactly be a happy ending.

The main character was very plain (no pun intended). I thought maybe he'd be more of an optimistic kind of character given the synopsis and his desire to make aircraft, but he just was not compelling to watch.

I did however enjoy watching the trial and error of making a fast and flyable aircraft.

When they introduced the love interest in Naoko, I said to myself "I swear if she's dying, my eyes are going to roll into the back of my head". I just had this feeling as the movie had this melancholic tone, and I've seen enough movies that have pulled this to be able to somewhat predict when it would happen.

It was very sad near the end, with Jirou constantly working and being away from Naoko who clearly was not getting any better. I found it odd how they emphasized that she can't leave without him and they have to be together, but he was gone for days on end because of work. What was the point of being together? It was especially hard near the end when his sister even pointed out that he's gone too much.

Then she up and decides to leave, because I guess she didn't want to die in front of Jirou? I just didn't find the romance very compelling. It did hit hard when Jirou saw Naoko one last time in the dream world. Seeing her fade away was very tough.

Speaking of, the dream segments were weird and pretty annoying. I didn't find them interesting and they felt as though they were taking away from the actual events that were happening, as if we had to put things on pause to go through the dreams.

Visually this was one of the best looking Ghibli films. Really nice scenic shots and watching the aircraft soar through the air was nice too.

While a good natured film, this ultimately came up boring and uninteresting with characters that weren't very compelling. Its disjointed storytelling didn't do it any favors either.

6/10
Feb 16, 2021 11:28 PM

Apr 2020
Did he die in the end??
Feb 19, 2021 3:11 PM

Aug 2008
Workaholic doesn't care for his sick wife. Long dull story about designing airplanes. Don't understand the love for this really even if it was a passion project for Miyazaki the film didn't interest me.
Mar 12, 2021 9:31 AM

Feb 2016
one of his greatest films, easily

and remember: it's not anyone's fault that you have the attention span of a 5 year old kid
Apr 21, 2021 6:49 PM

Sep 2020
ngl, kind of surprised that people found this boring. this movie was one of the most emotional ghibli movies for me
*insert emotional quote or waifu boobs*
Aug 22, 2021 2:53 AM
Mar 2021
Hontou masterpiece...

A movie about dreams...

Best one...
"Humanity dreams of flight
but the dream is cursed."

I cried a lot...
"Feeling positively weird."

Just "MASTERPIECE."
Jan 9, 2022 11:28 PM

May 2019
I quite enjoyed this. I thought it was beautiful. Some probably found it slow. I found the technical aspects of airplanes interesting. I know Miyazaki loves to draw them so I feel it was a bit autobiographical in a way. Not only that but his mother was hospitalized for a long time with tuberculosis.
I also found it incredible that Nahoko just kept a happy face on for Jiro, their love so sweet so delicate, like places during war.
Wonderful film.
Mar 6, 2022 2:21 PM

Feb 2020
I found this movie a little boring.

4/10
Apr 22, 2022 6:33 PM
Jul 2018
I rewatched the movie lately in the Easter days and it's so great! It's as good as most of the other Ghibli works imo.

It's such an interesting theme how an innocent interest as airplanes is perverted by war and so he makes airplanes to kill people.
He's not a bad person by any means, but he still plays a part in the war just by chasing after his interests.

In general the movie got this typical Ghibli magic and I love the art and all ofc so much!
But the end was so sad that his wife died, but you could see it coming unfortunately.
May 25, 2022 12:38 AM

Sep 2020
well this was a nice long watch with a sed ending
Jul 15, 2022 9:36 AM
Nov 2020
I even shed a few tears after watching this film, which was sad, wholesome, and ended with an amazing message. It was paced steadily. The flow of the narrative never felt rushed or dragged. The uniqueness and likeability of everyone was apparent. There is only one complaint I have with the movie, which is that the romance isn't as well developed as I would like, however, it's still pretty good. All in all, a wonderful inspirational film
Jul 24, 2022 9:25 AM

Feb 2019
I skipped the last 20 minutes
Based Certified.
I love anime armpits.
Nov 28, 2022 10:25 PM

Feb 2017
I really liked the technical drawings, not just the engineering diagrams but all the vehicles in motion like the aircrafts, trains, old automobiles.

Nov 30, 2022 11:19 AM

Jan 2021
I really liked watching this movie! The animation was wonderful as always and I really liked the soundtrack. While I was watching this it was very quite outside except for the soft sounds of rain, the birds, and the wind blowing; I thought it was quite fitting for the movie :)

Apr 28, 2023 8:44 PM

Jan 2021
The Wind Rises is an beautiful movie imo and I loved watching it, seeing Jiro having a passion for planes this big and even getting married was an wonderful thing to see. I loved the visuals and the soundtracks as this was my 2nd Ghibli movie.

It was sad to see in the end that Naoko left to go back to the place instead of staying there, and that also means that she lived her last days there because Jiro felt a heavy wind and he knew what was going on as he saw her for the last time in his dream.
__andre__Apr 28, 2023 8:48 PM
May 21, 2023 9:02 AM
Aug 2022
The story itself isn't bad. But i find the movie very boring.
Jun 25, 2023 2:30 PM

Apr 2013
So poetic, I loved it!

.·:*¨ 𝕾𝖊𝖙 𝕸𝖊 𝕱𝖗𝖊𝖊 - 𝕵𝖊𝖘𝖘𝖎𝖈𝖆 𝕵𝖚𝖓𝖌 ¨*:·. 𓆩♡𓆪
𝟬:𝟱𝟱 ㅇ──────────────── 𝟯:𝟮𝟲
↺¹ |◁ ▷| ⋮≡
Nov 25, 2023 3:49 PM

Jul 2021
Before watching this movie i was quite excited to see but now that its over im disappointed not because its bad but because its not for me.

5/10
bubba460zNov 25, 2023 3:53 PM

Dec 10, 2023 5:44 AM

Aug 2022
Really good. I love Miyazaki's fascination with airplanes.
Jan 7, 7:05 PM
Jun 2016
Wonderful movie absolutely watch it please!
Mar 5, 6:39 AM
Oct 2020
The life can be hard, but we should live
Mar 11, 9:54 PM
Oct 2023
very epic and epic and epic
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» its the 10th year anniversary

mydaddy - Jul 20, 2023

2 by Izuella »»
Jul 20, 2023 4:02 PM

» In Defense of The Wind Rises

Angry_Anime_Nerd - Jun 4, 2017

8 by Valyrian1124 »»
Feb 20, 2023 10:52 PM

» Hideaki Anno is the best VA of all time.

2shizukasensei88 - Jun 7, 2020

2 by Nikiforova »»
Jun 7, 2020 5:53 AM

» What the fuck @ Hideaki Anno?

Yayoe - Dec 19, 2017

1 by BlackJoe23 »»
Apr 8, 2018 1:48 PM

» Omae wa mou shindeiru!

WhatToKnow - Sep 25, 2017

1 by misjebaka8D »»
Oct 18, 2017 9:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.