Forum Settings
Forums

Where do your ratings fall (music, MAL, etc)

New
Jan 3, 2013 11:23 AM

Apr 2010
In terms of rating music, I have finally found it within myself to be critical and use all 5 stars. I used to rate anything that enjoyable a 3, and I rarely had anything in the 2's. I just deleted anything I found to be a 1. I have found the same kind of thing here on MAL, where I can't bear to give any show I pseudo-enjoyed less than a 7, and it seems like many users follow the same model. How do YOU rate things? And should the rating descriptions on MAL (good, masterpiece, very bad, etc) be altered to accomodate all of them? If no one agrees on a system, it makes average ratings fairly subjective, no?
MALoween Mansion 2019:
space x2
Jan 3, 2013 11:24 AM
May 2012
Umm mine us on my page. Too lazy to copy n paste
Jan 3, 2013 11:26 AM

Apr 2010
Yes, I saw yours. That's around the same system I have, and I think a lot of users do too. But with so few entries making it into the 9's, I'm not sure if everyone uses the same system. Its kinda like how RottenTomatoes has a bunch of 100%'s, but IMDB has yet to find something past 9.3
MeizhanJan 3, 2013 11:30 AM
MALoween Mansion 2019:
space x2
Jan 3, 2013 11:30 AM
May 2012
triggerhappy13 said:
Yes, I saw yours. That's around the same system I have, and I think a lot of users do too. But with so few entries making it into the 9's, I'm not sure if everyone uses the same system. Its kinda like how RottenTomatoes has a bunch of 100%'s, but IMDB has yet to find something past 93%.
That's because there are a lot of illegitimate accounts that give either 10s or 1s
Jan 3, 2013 11:31 AM

Oct 2012
Whatever has the most emotional response from me gets high ratings. Goes for either crying, laughing, plot twist shock, or strong attachment to the characters.
I'm not that nitpicky though.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jan 3, 2013 11:56 AM

Dec 2009
I try to be objective when giving out scores, but in general I rate like this:

10 and 9: (Near) perfect, evokes a strong emotional response in me.
8 and 7: Some emotional response, but for the most part, just well done and highly entertaining.
6 and 5: Just alright and barely okay. Not a waste to have experienced it, but once is enough.
4 to 1: Bad, worse and worst. Garbage can material.
Ara ara.
Jan 3, 2013 12:08 PM

Dec 2009
For starters, I use 1-10 and not 7-10.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Jan 3, 2013 1:18 PM

Mar 2011
10: Not only was it executed fucking well, I also loved all the characters and the show as a whole an incredible amount.
9: An incredibly well executed show, also with a bunch of characters that I really liked.
8: Same as above but either I didn't really like the characters or I did but it had execution problems.
7: A very good anime, above average that I have seen.
6: Average, I enjoyed the characters or the show quite a bit
5: I enjoyed the show but it had significant execution problems or I didn't like the characters at all.
4: I enjoy about 50% of these, high likelihood that it was good but then got worse.
3: I may have enjoyed it, but it was executed horribly and it was utterly stupid.
2: It was executed terribly, I hated the characters and it wasn't even good in an atrocious way. Tedious to watch.
1: No redeeming qualities.
Jan 3, 2013 1:25 PM

Apr 2012
For one I don't use a retarded scale. I rate from 1-10.

Number two: this thread has been made millions of times.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Jan 3, 2013 1:26 PM

Jun 2012
I use a retarded scale. I rate 6-10
Jan 3, 2013 1:27 PM

Sep 2012
I'm not meticulous enough to rate music.

But for anime, I rate 1-10. The only thing is that I tend to watch series that I am interested in, and plan on enjoying. I'm not some pompous critic. I rate on enjoyment. So my ratings are rarely low.
Jan 3, 2013 2:59 PM

Aug 2011
For MAL, mine is similar to Miyu's, except 6 is more of an "average" for me. I rarely rate below a 5, but I also don't rate above a 7 very often either. 10s are very rare.

For music and non-manga books, I can be a lot pickier but that's because I'm a musician and writer myself.

I'm probably the least picky about non-anime films and television shows. (Good television. Not reality TV.)
Jan 3, 2013 3:11 PM
Jul 2012
Shuhan said:
I use a retarded scale. I rate 6-10

you're not alone
Jan 3, 2013 3:58 PM

Nov 2011
Marow said:
For starters, I use 1-10 and not 7-10.

You're also one tough customer, Marow. :)

I use 5-10. I'm an over-scorer but that's because I rate on enjoyment, not objective quality, and I am fairly picky about what I start watching in the first place, so I set myself up to "succeed." I enjoy plenty of stuff that isn't top notch. Kinda like Tavor said above - if it gets an emotional response from me, it's probably getting a good score. If it is very original in terms of story or art, it's probably getting a good score.
Jan 3, 2013 4:35 PM

Nov 2011
on MAL :
10 - Top 10 favourites.
9 - Top 25 favourites.
8 - Top 50 favourites
7 - Extended favourites
6 - Migth re-watch it some-day.
5 - Worthy of a recommendation.
4 - Not worthy of a recommendation.
3 - Disliked it or drop-worthy/not worth watching.
2 - Really disliked it.
1 - Why.jpg

I don't use ratings for music, even though i've heard far more different albums than i've seen/read anime/manga.
rederoinJan 3, 2013 4:43 PM

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Jan 3, 2013 4:36 PM
Nov 2010
It's on my profile.
Jan 3, 2013 4:48 PM

Jun 2008
This again?

Ugh....too tired to respond.

just see my profile...
Jan 3, 2013 7:05 PM

Apr 2010
10: I love
any other number: it pass, retarded I know xD
Jan 3, 2013 7:07 PM

Jul 2007
I just go with whatever feels right at the time.
Jan 3, 2013 7:21 PM

Apr 2007
My profile has it detailed but it hasn't been updated.

10 - Incredibly enjoyable and all that + offers something unexpected that leaves an impression.
9 - Still extremely enjoyable and leaves an impression but not as deeply as a 10
8 - Interesting, some flaws
7 - Liked it (good plot) but could have been better
6 - Noticable flaws but don't distract much from how enjoyable/interesting it is
5 - Eh
4 and below - Don't feel like wasting my time with it and stuff or was just bad.
Jan 4, 2013 2:45 AM

Dec 2007
I'm not a very analytical person; I don't try to be objective (opinions are subjective by nature). I tend to rate by feel (INFP here). I use the rating descriptions here as a guideline. Mainly, it's convenient.

However, I'm still a bit lenient overall, and quite selective with what I consume, so ratings skew high. It's the same with any medium, music especially, although I'm trying to be both more critical and expand my horizons (I'm becoming more receptive to pop music as I get older, strangely enough). Film is perhaps as an exception, as they're less of a time commitment, and watching with others means I don't often choose the movie.
Jan 4, 2013 3:08 AM

Oct 2012
I use MAL's rating system; I try to match what I feel to the label MAL identifies with each rating (e.g. 5 -- Average). This is a typical linear system, where you could say the distance between 3-4, for example, is the same as the distance between 8-9.

If it were my own system, I would use an exponential system, where the distance between 3-4 would be much, much smaller than 8-9, with, obviously, the distance between 9-10 being the greatest. That in my opinion would skew my average rating down towards 5, instead of where it is now at around 7. The reason is because most of us (I hope) vet our selections before we devote serious time to any anime.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 4, 2013 3:10 AM

Jan 2012
10 - Perfect
9 - Great
8 - Better than expected
7 - Good
6 - Bad
5 - Badder
4 - Baddest
<4 - Die
Jan 4, 2013 5:12 AM

Jan 2012
I use 1-10, but I've only ever given anything a 2. Some people(by looking at my list) would probably say I overrate things, but as a whole, I find most anime very enjoyable.
Lemme smang it girl.
Jan 4, 2013 5:40 AM

Mar 2011
This will be useful:

This is my rating distribution, it shows how I rate rather well.

I can also show other people's, for example:
Wicked_Glory said:
I use 1-10, but I've only ever given anything a 2. Some people(by looking at my list) would probably say I overrate things, but as a whole, I find most anime very enjoyable.

That way you can see just how you rate stuff.
Jan 4, 2013 10:08 AM

Jun 2008
If it's a 4 or below chances are I've dropped it and am not giving it a chance. I wound up having a lot of 9's, too many, as I was rating them respective to how I felt at the time and not comparing them to the rest of my list. I feel most of ratings should fall between 6-8. 10 is nearly impossible and since I made my account I've given it out once, everything else that has it I rated before I made my account. I like to generally give things an above average rating (so 6-8) since most things I actually stick with and watch fit into those ratings.

Music, movies, and books it's the same deal. Most things get an above average rating from me.
Jan 4, 2013 3:22 PM
Jul 2012
Copied this off my profile:
10 - Beyond amazing, in a league of its own. So far, only 1 animes has ever achieved this. I know I put OP as this, but honestly, its beyond even this. It should get a 100000000000..... and so on. You get the point?
9 - Amazing animes, really enjoyed them, so sad they're over. So glad to have had the chance to watch them. Memorable animes that I know I'll never forget.
*Most will be long animes, as animes tend to grow on me over time, and I just love watching the characters/plot develop. I'm kinda a sucker for long animes.
8 - Great animes, that I couldn't stop watching. Really captured me. However, might not be as memorable as animes that achieved a rating of 9. Although I might not remember exactly what happened in the anime, like rated 9 animes, I will remember how I felt watching it, and that it was amazing. They aren't necessarily all amazing animes, they're all just animes that I REALLY enjoyed. Of course, an anime with a good plot/good characters will make a 8 easier than say an anime that wasn't all that outstanding, but enjoyable and entertaining.
7 - Good animes that I just didn't enjoy. I might've expected more of them, or perhaps it just didn't hook me as much. They could've been really good, with good plot and good characters, maybe I just didn't like the characters or the plot, and as a result, the anime.
6 - Animes that I had to suffer through. Ones that I kinda wished were over already, but kept watching because of a few points that made it good enough to watch and kept me from dropping it. Have to mention Shugo Chara here. I totally would've dropped it, but OMG, the romances!!! KUtau and RimaHiko FOR LIFE!!!! <3 They're all just so sweet together!!!!!
5 - Don't know why I actually tortured myself through this. Perhaps because it was part of a series thats actually watchable?
4 (and lower) - Have yet to watch an anime that I'd actually give this to. Maybe because if it's this low, I probably wouldn't watch it past the first 5 minutes?
Jan 4, 2013 7:03 PM

Jul 2012
I'm sure this question has been asked and answered before, but how are 6-10, 7-10, 5-10 retarded scales?
Surely if something is ranked lower than 5 it should be on your dropped list, and therefore you wouldn't have watched that many episodes of it.
There probably are cases where a show starts off really good and then the second half is so terrible that you drop it and it would deserve a 5 or below, but I can't imagine there's many anime like that.

Why watch more than 1 episode of a show that's "bad", "very bad", "horrible" or "appauling"?
Konbu is important
Jan 5, 2013 12:23 AM

Apr 2012
amichaaan said:
I'm sure this question has been asked and answered before, but how are 6-10, 7-10, 5-10 retarded scales?
Surely if something is ranked lower than 5 it should be on your dropped list, and therefore you wouldn't have watched that many episodes of it.
There probably are cases where a show starts off really good and then the second half is so terrible that you drop it and it would deserve a 5 or below, but I can't imagine there's many anime like that.

Why watch more than 1 episode of a show that's "bad", "very bad", "horrible" or "appauling"?

#1 Those people assign the rating 7 as bad. Therefore it is retarded.
#2 Most shows aren't absolute crap until halfway through. By then, you might as well finish it.
#3 Trainwrecks are entertaining.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.

More topics from this board

» The Proust phenomenon

RobertBobert - 9 hours ago

7 by Nette »»
9 minutes ago

» スキンケア事は男性にとって必要でしょうか? is skin care necessary for men ?

ISeeLifePeople - 3 hours ago

8 by Noboru »»
12 minutes ago

» "Connoisseurs" of MAL, what are your thoughts on ART NOUVEAU? ( 1 2 3 )

Fario-P - Mar 11, 2021

129 by Fario-P »»
1 hour ago

» Is it easy to detect fictional drawings from real photographs?

DesuMaiden - Yesterday

18 by DesuMaiden »»
1 hour ago

» About MBTI ミビチアイの事

ISeeLifePeople - Yesterday

7 by Auron_ »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.