Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 21, 2012 10:21 PM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I thought it's Hori and Miyamura relations, but in the end it's Miyamura and Ishikawa relations (or rather, it's Miyamura's journey to make friends).

The art is very... picture book ish? I wonder if there's more.

ED: "Shirotsume Kusa (シロツメクサ)" by Asami Seto
tsubasaloverApr 18, 2014 4:49 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Dec 1, 2012 10:07 AM

Jun 2008
This was the worst adaptation of a manga Ive seen. Too bad because the manga is so awesome.

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Dec 1, 2012 11:32 AM
Nov 2012
Orulyon said:
This was the worst adaptation of a manga Ive seen. Too bad because the manga is so awesome.

Where did you watch it???? cant find it anywhere. Yea, manga is awesome but i cannot say this ova is worst. We cannot expect much progress of Hori & miyamura relations in this ova since both still need to understand their feeling.(Manga, raw i dont know if their going out now or not since i cant find it). Hope more ova when their officially going out..
Dec 12, 2012 11:36 PM
Feb 2012
I would also like to know. Would any of you mind showing me...

Relating to what you guys have said, I do have to say that the quality of the anime, based on the PV, didn't seem...as high as the usual ova, but that's not always the case for me. Well, glad that there is an adaption; sometimes make it more fun to read the series. ^.^
GreenMoriyamaDec 12, 2012 11:46 PM
Dec 16, 2012 4:42 PM

Jan 2008
Orulyon said:

Yeah...this left much to be desired, but it has Seto Asami as Hori Kyouko!...which is pretty much the only thing I liked about it. I think they should make an anime adaption of Hiromiya instead (the alternative version) with a new cast (but still keeping Seto Asami as Hori, because she's just awesome.)

Mod Edit: Removed quote of a deleted post.
LunaApr 29, 2013 12:02 AM
Dec 25, 2012 6:13 AM

Jan 2011
haha. Hori-san is tsundere :3 Kawaii ^^
I want a TV version of this OVA ^^

Jan 17, 2013 12:08 PM

Jun 2011
Orulyon said:

Keep in mind that this is an adaptation of the Original manga series, which was more comedy focused than the alternative version I think you're referring to.

http://myanimelist.net/manga/36615/Hori-san_to_Miyamura-kun
Feb 18, 2013 5:45 PM

Jul 2012
Orulyon said:
The original series was a webcomic comedy series it really didn't focus on romance at all sadly
Mar 8, 2013 11:04 AM

Sep 2008
I don't think it was thaaat bad. It's like tsubasalover said, it focuses more on Miyamura building up relationships and all. You people should remember it's just an OVA, most likely to present a manga which isn't even completed to people who doesn't know it yet. It could have been better, there's no doubt about it. But it still managed to pass some of the same feelings the manga does. And that's probably what they were looking for when they decided to make this low budget animation.
May 7, 2013 1:02 PM
Aug 2012
Where can I watch it??
Dec 24, 2013 3:30 PM

Nov 2009
The art was bad but at least they didn't change anything.
Feb 6, 2014 5:19 PM
Jul 2013
Did not like the animation, because it is very simple and the edges on each side were stumped. The character design is mediocre, could give a little more color and more shadow detail and physical traits.
Feb 14, 2014 11:00 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Aww that was nice, never read the original web comic though, only the manga Horimiya. I like how it was from Miyamura's pov, it felt kind of sentimental. I would love it if Horimiya got adapted into anime too.

I really liked the ending, when Miyamura looks at his old self sitting in the classroom, and he tells him, "it's okay."
Feb 14, 2014 11:59 PM

Sep 2010
I was so excited!!
Until I actually watched it.. What a let down. I wish it would be made into a real series..
Feb 15, 2014 9:58 AM

Jul 2012
Not bad at all. It's kind of like a shoujo anime.

I think they were a bit lazy with the animation. It could have been as good as Tonari's animation and suited it.

Did not expect Kirito's voice as main guy. I felt that it doesn't suit it... But glad to hear Hosoya voicing the other guy.
Feb 15, 2014 10:52 AM

Oct 2012
Was better than what I thought it would be. Agree that it would be brilliant if they developed a series for Horimiya.
Feb 16, 2014 12:29 PM

Sep 2007
I actually liked the art and the music was pretty nice too - I would like to see this adapted into a full series

Feb 16, 2014 8:08 PM

Mar 2013
Nyancat27 said:
Where can I watch it??

If I'm not too late, Kissanime has it.

Also, now that I know it isn't based on the more popular Horimiya manga, I feel a little better about the anime. Still don't like it 100% though...art style doesn't sit right with me, especially since I'm so used to the manga...
ContralyssMar 2, 2014 8:51 PM
Feb 18, 2014 11:05 AM

Jan 2013
Its an adaptation so I am taking it for what it is. Its cute and simple with worlds of potential if it was revamped into TV similar to Kyousougiga's routes.
Feb 18, 2014 11:06 AM

Jan 2013
BakaGekai said:
I actually liked the art and the music was pretty nice too - I would like to see this adapted into a full series

I though it was unique in its own way plus it worked.
Feb 23, 2014 10:42 PM
Mar 2012
It was a great start. A little slow, but I enjoyed how the series was executed.
Mar 2, 2014 11:17 AM

Sep 2010
Orulyon said:

I wouldn't say so. It was only 21 minutes long and the story still felt full and well paced.

A full series would be better ofc but I find this pretty enjoyable
Mar 2, 2014 5:59 PM

Nov 2011
That was cute. I wasn't into the romance much the but art style of the characters and their dialogues were fun.

This is adapted from an alternate version of a manga I've read. Not too shabby. Reminds me a little of My Little Monster.
Apr 8, 2014 5:04 PM

Mar 2012
Why does every character with Matsuoka Yoshitsugu's voice seems cool? *-*
Apr 9, 2014 5:05 AM

Sep 2010
I quite enjoyed this. Art style too. Time to pick up the manga.
Jul 21, 2014 4:37 PM

May 2012
Quite interesting setting I must say, the art style is a bit lacking in my opinion but it does give the series a nice overall unique touch! Either way let's see what the end will provide us!
Apr 25, 2015 8:43 PM

Jan 2013
An indirect kissu~
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Apr 29, 2015 2:18 AM

Jan 2014
Didn't expected that animation. Well, after a few or so minutes, I got used to it.

I'd say if you compare it to the remake Horimiya, it's pretty rushed.

Still, if Horimiya actually got a TV series, it would be awesome.
"The one true, unchanging righteousness in the world is..cuteness! Cute makes right! All our needs, desires, and instincts seek cuteness, and it is for cuteness that we will give everything we have! That's just the way men are!" - Sora
Sep 22, 2015 7:46 AM

May 2014
Much Art Style. Wow Detailed.
Aside this it was very enjoyable :D But you first need to read the manga otherwise it would feel too random and poorly explained.

puremine said:
Orulyon said:
I wouldn't say so. It was only 21 minutes long and the story still felt full and well paced.
I personally think the pacing was pretty fast.
Oct 18, 2015 6:56 AM

Feb 2015
Cute... but what was with that art style?!

I loved the song at the end though.
Oct 18, 2015 8:37 PM

Jun 2015
[size=90]the animation was different from what i expected it to be
i think this episode covers chapter 1-10

miyamura is adorable haha >///<

Nov 11, 2015 11:25 AM

Nov 2009
I kinda hate Hosoya Yoshimasa's voice, don't know how it happened when I used to love him so much as Shichika in Katanagatari. Nowadays he just ruins everything for me. :/ I'm so petty, but it's not on purpose, his voice acting just really irks me... but whatever, I guess, he's not even the main character here.
I didn't like the episode very much but maybe it's cause I keep comparing it to Horimiya (I've never read Hori-san to Miyamura-kun). It was still cute, though.

(THIS WAY FOREVER)
Jan 25, 2016 8:33 AM

May 2015
Liked this first episode. The art style is rather.... unique? Other than that, it was pretty decent.

Sep 30, 2016 6:19 PM

May 2015
The art style is quite refreshing for me. Liked it!
Nov 27, 2016 7:54 PM
Nov 2016
I can't find anymore Episodes or OVA it was a good anime/manga though. I like to see more of it
Jun 11, 2017 5:33 PM

Nov 2016
Nice start, liked the warm atmosphere and the unique art.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 11, 2017 3:41 AM

May 2013
the art looks kinda... err..
made by bunnyama
Sep 15, 2017 10:01 PM

Jan 2008
Only started reading the manga to see their was an animated adaption.

Incredibly disappointed in the visuals. Very low quality with lazy and blockly character designs. Not appealing at all compared to the manga's.

Miyamura looks barely any different in his school attire than he does his other. Really hard to take it seriously when Hori says his hairstyle looks different when it looks no different in the anime. I don't have any dislikes towards Matsuoka but I don't think he was the best choice for voicing Miyamura, his voice is far too docile, making him sound like the standard weak loser type protagonist.

I know they're rushing chapters but I'm disappointed they skipped Miyamura's little talk to encourage the girl Souta was with.

The part where he showed her his had tatoo was much cuter than I expected though. Don't remember him doing that behind the window curtain.

Didn't hate it but can't say I was fond of this.
Feb 20, 2019 9:52 AM
Jul 2018
From what what manga readers have been saying, this seems like a cliffnotes version of the manga and I totally see how that would be disappointing.

The art is lacking, I'd agree, although art doesn't bother me unless it's eye cancer. I think it makes the show look quirky which fits with the mood which is actually a positive though.

Well as someone who hasn't read the manga, I enjoyed this first episode. From the looks of it, this OVA will be a 7/10.
Aug 20, 2019 7:23 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
Loved this first episode. I could endure the art, in fact I found it pretty cute. Minimalistic and presenting a certain harmony, even if it was done with a relatively low budget. The story seemed to be well depicted, and we conserve with this animation what makes this story worthwhile as an animated medium: the slightness of comedic manga adaptations, the willingful suspension of disbelief.
A side comment I could make, too, would be that I totally loved the bonding between Izumi and Tooru. Already gay shipping.

Aug 31, 2020 7:45 AM

Jun 2020
art & animation aside, this barely scratches the surface. it felt like it was breezing through the chapters. the manga is seriously AMAZING and i'm having a great time with it, if you're watching this OVA & feeling underwhelmed do give the manga a try instead.

that ending scene when miyamura was leaving the classroom & leaving his childhood self behind was nicely done! & seto asami's voice suits hori perfectly! ♡

i haven't seen the web comic & i'm aware this is the adaptation of that. decided to watch the OVAs after i saw it being promoted in the manga, the author was being so sweet & humble about it. also the character designs are way nicer in the manga ♡____♡

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Nov 20, 2020 7:23 AM

Dec 2010
2012 Matsuoka is so refreshing to watch...

I could imagine Matsuoka being anxious when he was doing this.

Really love this episode. Hope for more.
Nov 23, 2020 2:48 AM
Oct 2020
I like the story and they're voices, but please kindly fix the art!!
Dec 21, 2020 3:46 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Okay. In order before seeing the next year show that have the same title at this one, i am gonna picked this up first. Weirdly decent watch. Thats my first impression over these first episode. Like the recommendation tab, its get the same vibe as Toradora while they got to meet and formed a bond with that certain situations.

They even had the same first-four friendship (or even reversed pairings) that unexpectedly really brought back the memories of me, over the dynamic convoluted friendship relations at Toradora. Miyamura already had a calm and interesting personality. He even had quite harsh backstory that became a reason behind his tattoo and ear piercings. Its bring more steadiness into their bonding moments and give a chilling nuances. So far, its had no drama. So, yeah, everything was just be calm.

His interaction toward Hori-san and Tooru, somehow quite hit the right point. Its enjoyable. While Hori-san, somehow, still be bland to me. Idk why, but Miyamura character already felt more solid as this first episode went through the end. The pacing felt super fast as an introduction of their first form of bond, not even included a proper introduction of those yellow hair girl. I hope to see more interaction with those yellow hair girl, Yuki.

About the art and animation sections, i have no comment. To be honestly, its gave me a 90s vibes while in fact this is a 20s. So, as a rookie i won't give any comment about that. Well, i think thats it for this first episode. Onward to the next episode!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 9, 2021 9:03 PM
Jan 2020
Came here just so I can atleast compare it to the official anime adapt lmao. The animation is really nice although the details are too bland and simple nothing is actually bad about it it's just that the details are too bland there only a few shadows and stuff but the animation is really good!
Jan 18, 2021 10:50 PM

May 2015
Should I have watched the 4 OVAs before the anime adaptation? It's rated 8.6 rn. I mean, the show is good but 8.6? I don't know where all the hype comes from.
Jul 14, 2023 2:07 PM
Mar 2023
What an interesting beginning! Hori and Miyamura keeping secrets from each other, this is sure to bring lots of funny situations and adorable moments!
Hori is really a popular girl, but it's great to see her being authentic and taking care of her family. I love her personality!
Miyamura with piercings and tattoos, I never would have imagined! I wonder what other secrets she has hidden.
The friendship that is blossoming between Hori and Miyamura is adorable. It's great to see how they support each other and how Miyamura gets along with Sota so well.
Ishikawa has a crush on Hori, which adds an interesting twist to the budding love triangle! I'm looking forward to seeing how this story unfolds.
dcsanchez3Jul 14, 2023 2:11 PM
Sep 4, 2023 7:38 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Now I see how much of an improvement the rerelease is. But still, this art style is kind of endearing.
Oct 18, 2023 4:46 PM
Feb 2023
diffrent from horimiya but it works somehow

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hori-san to Miyamura-kun Episode 6 Discussion

GR7366 - Jul 7, 2021

14 by bushman66 »»
Jan 3, 2:00 PM

Poll: » Hori-san to Miyamura-kun Episode 5 Discussion

GR7366 - Jul 7, 2021

16 by Eoussama »»
Sep 6, 2023 1:20 AM

Poll: » Hori-san to Miyamura-kun Episode 4 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Mar 15, 2019

26 by Eoussama »»
Sep 6, 2023 1:12 AM

Poll: » Hori-san to Miyamura-kun Episode 3 Discussion

tsubasalover - Apr 3, 2015

48 by Eoussama »»
Sep 6, 2023 1:04 AM

Poll: » Hori-san to Miyamura-kun Episode 2 Discussion

tsubasalover - Apr 18, 2014

35 by Eoussama »»
Sep 6, 2023 12:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.