Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 26, 2012 7:48 AM
Dec 2008
obviously.
its a good slice of life at that
can someone change this? im trying to figure out how
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Apr 26, 2012 7:56 AM

Mar 2012
Or, stop caring about the genre and watch it if you like it.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Apr 26, 2012 9:13 AM

Feb 2012
You came to that conclusion after one episode?

It's clear you're a troll not just from this thread, but by your list too.
Apr 26, 2012 10:28 AM
Apr 2012
The story is still vague, and you simply jumped into conclusion about it's genre? Just watch it, and judge it when it ends.
Apr 26, 2012 10:36 AM

May 2011
Even if it appears as slice of life it doesn't try to be a one.

I don't really see why you would put it under that tag, though. Fits better to mystery, adventure, supernatural, school. Heck, atm it's even closer to romance drama than slice of life.
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Apr 26, 2012 10:39 AM
Feb 2011
Yvese said:

many people rate stuff like that here... so his list isn't anything special
Apr 27, 2012 7:16 PM
Dec 2008
Yvese said:

its clear u dont know what ur talking about, just by ur reply that ppl actually judge other ppls based on their lists
and go suck ur dick

dont get me wrong i am really looking towards hyouka
its just ppl are expecting some great major mystery, when its probably gonna be about the activities of the classics club

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-9077.html#more
this is a general summary for eps 2-7 for hyouka. theres certainly plot but its mostly gonna be high school life stuff

once again, i am all for hyouka, im really looking forward to it.
if im wrong feel free to cuss me out all u want, even though i wont give a shit
Apr 27, 2012 7:30 PM
May 2011
Dude, we're only one episode in with no concrete evidence of which direction this show is going to take. 'Probably' doesn't cut it.
Apr 27, 2012 7:42 PM
Dec 2008
sucks u cant read japanese so u cant read that concrete evidence i posted
Apr 28, 2012 10:05 AM

Nov 2009
Genre is important. I'm personally trying to decide if it's worth watching, and genre is determinative here: if it's slice of life, I won't watch, but if it's mystery, I'll give it a try.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Apr 28, 2012 1:43 PM

Feb 2008
CG said:
Genre is important. I'm personally trying to decide if it's worth watching, and genre is determinative here: if it's slice of life, I won't watch, but if it's mystery, I'll give it a try.

Slice of life is not just "cute girls doing cute things", it's broad and encompasses anime like Mushishi, Kino's Journey, GTO, Haruhi, Usagi Drop, Aria, Haibane Renmei, Azumanga Daioh, Clanand After Story, Natsume Yuujinchou, Nodame Cantabile, etc.

If you avoid an anime because it's labeled under a genre you usually dislike then you have more problems here than anybody else.
Apr 28, 2012 6:54 PM

Sep 2011
mystery was better than slice of life..
Apr 29, 2012 7:45 PM

Feb 2012
kaena said:
Yvese said:

its clear u dont know what ur talking about, just by ur reply that ppl actually judge other ppls based on their lists
and go suck ur dick

dont get me wrong i am really looking towards hyouka
its just ppl are expecting some great major mystery, when its probably gonna be about the activities of the classics club

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-9077.html#more
this is a general summary for eps 2-7 for hyouka. theres certainly plot but its mostly gonna be high school life stuff

once again, i am all for hyouka, im really looking forward to it.
if im wrong feel free to cuss me out all u want, even though i wont give a shit
"Probably". Yea that helps your case.

You post a link to a site no one here but you can read. That's great.

How about before you say something is slice of life, try reading the source material. It doesn't matter if eps 2-7 is just "gonna be high school life stuff". This series is 21 episodes long. You're concerned over 33% of the show with no idea what happens after that.

And really.. telling me to go suck my dick? Grow up. Why are you so offended by my post? Forums are for discussion. If you can't take someone criticizing you then just don't post so your feelings don't get hurt.
Apr 29, 2012 7:49 PM

Mar 2012
kaena said:
sucks u cant read japanese so u cant read that concrete evidence i posted

LOL.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Apr 29, 2012 7:54 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
No matter how people claim it's not slice-of-life.... it's slice-of-life so far. Equally valid compared to mystery classification.

I don't see what's so hard to debate here...

And people calling each other trolls. This is why I feel like flaming every single post I see.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Apr 29, 2012 10:17 PM

Aug 2010
I don't get why it should be labeled as slice of life. that's like labeling slice of life on any show that just has 1 episode that's slice of life-ish. This stuff shouldn't even be mentioned let alone argued about until the show is over anyways.
Apr 29, 2012 11:26 PM
Jul 2018
Someone who read the novel might know. But I don't think its a big deal, plus the genre slice of life is wide and ambiguous.
Apr 30, 2012 8:37 AM

Dec 2007
If I can't change something that's wrong somewhere I don't bother...

You guys are too passionate.
Apr 30, 2012 11:33 PM

Sep 2010
Veronin said:
CG said:

Slice of life is not just "cute girls doing cute things", it's broad and encompasses anime like Mushishi, Kino's Journey, GTO, Haruhi, Usagi Drop, Aria, Haibane Renmei, Azumanga Daioh, Clanand After Story, Natsume Yuujinchou, Nodame Cantabile, etc.

If you avoid an anime because it's labeled under a genre you usually dislike then you have more problems here than anybody else.

Almost none of those are Slice of life though. Showing what characters`do in a day isn't slice of life when those events are plot intensive and/or story driven.

May 1, 2012 4:03 AM

Apr 2008
2 episodes in, it's still just a (boring) slice of life.
The mystery is "Why would someone rent an unpopular book".
It's just a 13 episodes anime ;)

May 1, 2012 4:35 AM
Jul 2011
Des said:

Actually, it's a 21 episodes. Or was in there some hidden, almost invisible meaning behind those words of you?

And yeah, sometimes everyday misterys can be refreshing.
May 1, 2012 4:49 AM

Apr 2008
traittrait said:
Des said:

Actually, it's a 21 episodes. Or was in there some hidden, almost invisible meaning behind those words of you?

And yeah, sometimes everyday misterys can be refreshing.

Oh yeah :P
No I just forgot :P

May 1, 2012 8:30 PM

Apr 2011
Hyouka is Slice of Life? IT IS, KyoAni did mentioned it in the trailer (implied). It just that people were too ignorant to do a lil-bit research. Well, can't blame them tho, since the original material is nowhere could be seen.

Veronin said:
CG said:

You're talking to 10-14 yrs-old, so of course he wouldn't like whatever you mentioned.

kurizentalk said:
mystery was better than slice of life..

Thats weird, because SoL has the highest rank overall compared to Mystery (Not to mention it sells more than mystery, even if you compare it to Naruto) :/
May 7, 2012 6:24 PM

Jun 2011
i really dont think this is a SoL.
May 13, 2012 4:42 PM

Feb 2012
nelsonbrabra said:
i really dont think this is a SoL.
It's not.

Seems a lot of people here don't know what SoL is.

People are confusing the 'School' genre with SoL.

When this series first started it was only under 'Mystery'. Now 'School' is added which is exactly what it is.

There's a difference between School and SoL.

Des said:
)
No. It's like calling rom-coms SoL.

Just no. There's a reason SoL is its own genre otherwise nearly every anime would fall under it.

YveseMay 13, 2012 4:54 PM
May 13, 2012 6:17 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Well they put Haruhi as slice of life even though by your strict definition that is not 100% correct.

Thus, there is valid reason to believe this can be considered slice of life. Maybe after the second arc is over it will be become a bit more obvious.

http://chikorita157.com/2010/08/20/what-is-the-definition-of-slice-of-life-anime/
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
May 13, 2012 6:52 PM

Feb 2012
guys...some you really need a hobby or something.

To me, slice-of-life is less an anime genre on it's own and more some kind of style in storytelling. There are mystery stories, comedy stories, drama stories etc. that are presented with slice-of-life storytelling(what i would define as a storytelling focused on "realistic" character development and presentation of their lifes from different angles) and the genre of these stories would be mystery, comedy or drama.
In 9/10 cases, the worst thing about an anime is its fandom.
May 13, 2012 7:21 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Nucksen said:

To me, slice-of-life is less an anime genre on it's own and more some kind of style in storytelling. There are mystery stories, comedy stories, drama stories etc. that are presented with slice-of-life storytelling (what i would define as a storytelling focused on "realistic" character development and presentation of their lifes from different angles) and the genre of these stories would be mystery, comedy or drama.

Someone finally gets it. But the "genre" of MAL is not really the genre in the literary sense. It's a very loose system of categorization. And those stories using slice-of-life style should be categorized as such.
bla bla bla
Niko-kun said:
May 13, 2012 7:32 PM

Feb 2012
wakka9ca said:

Someone finally gets it. But the "genre" of MAL is not really the genre in the literary sense. It's a very loose system of categorization. And those stories using slice-of-life style should be categorized as such.

I'm aware of that(school isn't a genre either ;) ). That's ok. Hyouka has some SOL elements in its storytelling, so this category can be added. I only had a really big problem with calling slice-of-life a genre. To me, Hyouka is a school-based MYSTERY show(at least until now) told with a bit of SOL and i won't kill anyone over thinking otherwise xD
In 9/10 cases, the worst thing about an anime is its fandom.
May 13, 2012 9:14 PM
Jun 2009
I would call it both a mystery and a slice-of-life anime. It is taking the regular, ordinary life of an everyday student that happens to be dull and lifeless while they solve mysteries through the use of the classics club.
May 13, 2012 11:30 PM

Jun 2011
Moderately dull Slice of Life with some mystery added for good measure
May 21, 2012 5:57 AM
May 2012
There is a bit of Slice-of-Life element applied, but from the looks of it, there's not enough to be categorized in it.

When I think of Slice-of-Life, it's telling me that what the anime portrays what usually happen in the real world instead of focusing on the story much. This means the show focuses more on the major character's everyday life and add elements that really doesn't have a strong plot behind it. K-On, Clannad, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu are examples of Slice-of-Life anime shows.
May 23, 2012 3:24 AM
Oct 2010
Well, I think the slice of life is quite subjective... That said, I also think this shouldn't be classified as that, at least not yet, considering what we have been shown so far.

I don't know about the novel, but the anime is skipping anything that's not a "mystery" (like how or when did Ibara join the club). We don't see the daily routines or troubles of these characters. The interactions are, again, mostly about the mysteries, and they rarely talk about themselves.

So if someone says this is definitely a slice of life, I'd say it's a very thin slice.

Nucksen said:
guys...some you really need a hobby or something.
LOL, what the hell do you think this is?
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
May 27, 2012 3:44 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Ajunky said:

I don't know about the novel, but the anime is skipping anything that's not a "mystery" (like how or when did Ibara join the club). We don't see the daily routines or troubles of these characters. The interactions are, again, mostly about the mysteries, and they rarely talk about themselves.

Hm, but you see, so far the entire series has been about your typical high school life, portrayed in an extremely mundane and realistic fashion. The entire directing of this series is based on realistic and mundane conversation between characters, typical of KyoAni. The story definitely follows a slice-of-life style narrative.
bla bla bla
Niko-kun said:
May 27, 2012 11:53 PM

Nov 2010
I believe "mystery" in Hyouka is as much (or not far) as what you can call "music" in K-ON.

K-ON is a story about girls doing music, Hyouka is a story about friends solving mystery, but neither are precisely relying in their main theme as the main plot. The main theme for Hyouka is "adolescence", do some googling at the director's pre-talk.

Hyouka definetely is more like a character driven show. That's why most people that disappointed with Hyouka are mystery fans, since they're expecting the wrong thing.

And...Yes, if you call slice of life as a genre, Hyouka should also count as one.
Jun 3, 2012 8:20 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
zeroyuki92 said:
I believe "mystery" in Hyouka is as much (or not far) as what you can call "music" in K-ON.

Yes, that's why you need to look at it from a different perspective.

That's also why I think this should at least have a label of slice-of-life on MAL.
bla bla bla
Niko-kun said:
Jun 9, 2012 4:01 PM
Jul 2018
Why is everyone even arguing about this? What's the point?
Jun 9, 2012 5:25 PM
Nov 2011
StormSky92 said:
To keep the site up to date and to help people find new anime to watch?
Jun 9, 2012 5:33 PM

Sep 2011
egoplant said:
StormSky92 said:
To keep the site up to date and to help people find new anime to watch?
if only this were true, like thats the purpose of genres but instead people use it to avoid shows rather than watch

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 14, 2012 11:16 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
So someone can enlighten us on why it's still not classified as a series with slice of life elements?
bla bla bla
Niko-kun said:
Jul 16, 2012 2:08 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
You can request genre modifications in the Anime DB - Post Modification Requests thread.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Apr 29, 2012

377 by sahzzy_sama »»
May 23, 1:41 AM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2012

267 by Miedori »»
May 4, 10:12 AM

» No romance here

YuniVT - Mar 10

26 by KitsuFrost »»
Apr 28, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

185 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

266 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.