Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 13, 2016 3:21 AM

Apr 2013
So wait, does Batou really have a wife or was that just for his cover? And why was he that mad in the end, I don't really understand. Still great episode.
Apr 29, 2016 11:10 AM

Mar 2014
Poor Batou, I felt so sorry for him at the end
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
May 25, 2016 3:32 AM
Jun 2013
Yeah and Batou just became my favorite character.
Jul 19, 2016 1:53 PM
Apr 2015
Really great episode. The internal conflict of taking down somebody you used to really respect was very interesting. Great character development for Batou.

Also an interesting detail is that Zaitsev is a silver medalist in the paralympics. Since prosthetics in this universe are much more powerful than normal human abilities, this probably suggests that the paralympics has overtaken the olympics as the premier sporting event in the world.
Oct 1, 2016 6:56 AM

Oct 2012
He's so sad and angry :(

Poor wife... She doesn't even know that Batou just arrested her husband
"Signature removed"
Jan 10, 2017 4:57 PM

Jan 2012
Oh Batou, how it must hurt to have met your hero.

Its sad that it came down to him arresting his own hero, and the visual cue of the wine breaking representing his own heart (or the breaking of respect to the boxer). Batou's being fleshed out, in a very bittersweet way. :(
Overall great stand alone!
Feb 23, 2017 8:50 AM

Jul 2016
This episode was pretty nice, considering it delves into Batou and his undercover work on his idol. But in the end, he lost him, and him losing the Tachikomas didn't help either. But that's not my issue with the episode, What REALLY shocked me, WAS THAT $#@%ING PICTURE!!

I literally coughed up blood when I saw that picture. Jeez, of ALL the female staff he could have to pose as the 'wife', he chose the Major!! WHAT THE HELL!!
ONWARDS! Away from homework and on to more anime!!!
Apr 19, 2017 12:57 PM

May 2016
Loved this episode Batou was sure pissed of.
Apr 27, 2017 3:23 AM

Jun 2016
Au revoir, sweet Tachikomas. :'( The rhyme they were singing was this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akai_Kutsu On reading the supposed story behind the rhyme, there's a dark subtext - while it seems to the mother that the girl has been taken to America, in reality the girl contracts TB before she can leave with the foreigner missionary and is thus left at an orphanage, where she dies a few years later, alone.

It remains a sort of mystery for me what exactly happened in that Paralympics fight, and what the deal is with the 'Prosthetic Blind Spot' - what is the secret behind it? Pavlo's last line "It was the same back then. I'm the one with the blind spot in my heart" is too cryptic to help piece it all together.

A couple of theories I read are that -

a) Batou was the opponent in that final back then: while this does explain why the Prosthetic Blind Spot could have been used in that fight (Batou asks why he didn't use that technique in that match), this is just too far-fetched, Batou wouldn't be sent for this mission if the target knew him beforehand, Batou was a soldier not a pro boxer, and the way Pavlo Zaitsev behaved indicated he had no idea who Batou was.

b) Pavlo threw that fight for money. This is surely a possibility, since he had won all 26 of 26 of his fights then - clearly he'd earn a huge amount if he threw the fight, and his behaviour in the episodes showed that he cared a lot about money. It's possible he didn't realise all his potential sponsors would abandon him if he lost. This would give more meaning to Batou's accusation: had Pavlo become so rusty that he didn't realise Batou had thrown the fight, just like he himself had back then? In this case, the blind spot in his heart would refer to his prioritizing money over feelings.

c) This one's my alternate theory. It's possible that Pavlo was under the wrong impression that something like a 'Prosthetic Blind Spot' existed - or maybe it was something that existed before, but was eradicated with progress in technology. He stuck with the belief that it existed despite that, and thus lost in the final because the technique failed completely. Batou used this to his advantage too, fooling Pavlo into thinking he had a fatal weakness. In this case, the blind spot in his heart would refer to his stubborn belief about prosthetics having an ingrained weakness.

All in all, b) seems to be the best candidate, with most of the pieces fitting. I love how this show makes you think! No spoon-feeding at all.
Dec 1, 2017 4:14 PM

Apr 2017
Great episode.

Best photoshop ever:

--------
Jan 21, 2018 8:43 AM

Jun 2016
Batou is slowly but surely becoming my favourite character.
May 20, 2018 12:26 PM

Feb 2014
Love that Kusanagi is the wife in the fake picture, the ship is real.
Dec 17, 2018 9:48 AM

Nov 2016
Poor Batou losing his role model and potential good friend :(

This episode was awesome and I enjoyed so much about it. From the analogy for the song and Pavlos descision to the well choreographed fighting scenes. Probably my favorite standalone episode and also the most emotional one for me.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 31, 2019 9:11 PM

Feb 2017
I wonder if smoking has any adverse/negative effects on a cyborg like Batou.
Dec 4, 2019 9:42 AM
Feb 2019
Super manly episode. My nigga Batou.
Jul 31, 2020 3:10 PM

Mar 2019
Batou's always trolling and being a comedy relief BUT when the episode is focused on him, we're always get melancholy hard in the guts...
my dark magical girl webseries
https://unsafemahoushoujo.wordpress.com/blog/
Jan 25, 2021 1:54 PM

May 2018
Poor Batou! Everything he loves is being taken away from him T_T
Sep 22, 2021 8:05 PM
Jun 2013
Solo Batou episode...loved it. Great episode.
Dec 7, 2022 12:16 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Poor Batou man. He's already getting his beloved Tachikomas taken away from him, and then is sent to arrest a guy he previously admired; a guy who had lost his way.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Mar 22, 2023 10:19 PM
Nov 2021
my life is incomplete and empty without tachikoma
Jun 9, 2023 5:41 PM

Dec 2022
Was that Motoko in Batou's "family picture"? Definitely a fake cover photo, because I don't remember that happening. No idea who the kid is though.

Shaded Horizon

Feb 14, 9:16 PM
Dec 2018
Pato, even in boxing, no one can defeat him, he is a goat

Good episode 4/5
Aug 31, 7:25 AM

May 2015
Being a spy wasn't really that retired boxers forte. He had multiple chances to quit while he was ahead but the money was too tempting. But I don't really feel bad for him, just for Batou who lost the hero he looked up too. What a shame...

Great episode!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

158 by Magicmist »»
Sep 23, 3:53 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

89 by Magicmist »»
Sep 22, 10:51 PM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Sep 8, 2008

114 by Magicmist »»
Sep 21, 8:26 PM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Sep 8, 2008

51 by Magicmist »»
Sep 21, 7:25 PM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jul 12, 2008

78 by Magicmist »»
Sep 19, 12:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.