Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 27, 2016 12:53 AM

Dec 2013
Shihoko was cute and fun. No idea why she killed that guy…

Huang really screwed up at the end.
Aug 18, 2016 7:59 PM

Sep 2013
I was wondering how Huang got caught up in the syndicate. This episode pretty much summed it up.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jan 1, 2017 2:42 PM

Feb 2016
Best episode so far, love the complex feelings Wong has for Chiyoko. Love, hatred, joy, sorrow. Reminds me of Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal, Cowboy Bebop and Berserk.

We've somewhat covered three backstories now: Hei, Ying and Wong. This confirms it. They belong to a Chinese syndicate (unlikely Hong Kong triads [would've mentioned it and practice caution], either Taiwan or Mainland). Ying was japanese, Wong is also from Japan.

Hei may be different, in any case he seems to enjoy making and eating Chinese food but that isn't solid proof.
Cloud_IllusionJan 1, 2017 2:47 PM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Mar 28, 2017 11:27 AM

Sep 2011
This was an interesting one. My prediction for the next episode is that the Guru will transform into Shioko and Hei will end up killing the real Shioko instead.
Jul 11, 2017 7:15 PM

May 2010
Can't say Huang's backstory was what I needed right now, but for what it was, I'd say it was rather interesting.

I want to see Mao's and Hei's a lot more though, geez!
Jan 9, 2019 8:53 AM

Feb 2015
Really nice episode. It was great to see some of Huang's backstory which we hadn't seen yet. Mostly how warm his heart is within that cold exterior and the hints of a tragic past he keeps hidden. Also, how and why he joined the Syndicate. Also, why he hates Contractors so much. Love his relationship with Shioko. I also loved how this was filmed - the cuts connecting scenes between the past and presence were excellent. And that Kanno music when Huang and Shioko are in the hospital - perfection - so evocative nostalgia, endless memories, a bittersweet past.

Can't wait for the conclusion of this lovely story arc.

Jun 19, 2019 5:31 AM

Sep 2012
o huang u messed up big time wanted to protect ur ex-wife but u made her expose herself
Aug 29, 2019 2:19 AM

Jan 2014
Absolutely fantastic episode! :D

It had a little bit of everything; we got some great answers to Huang's past (both good times and dark times), we got to see important individuals in his life, hell we even got some comedy (that face Huang makes when he gets kissed way too funny XD) and couple that with an intriguing plot of infiltrating a cult centered around worshiping the Gate who are connected with Amber and with a woman on the inside that was once close to Huang; great stuff!

I really like how Huang checks in on Shizuka even though he just knew her briefly. Even though he had no control over it I bet he wishes he could have prevented his partner's death or prevented Shizuka from losing her memories about her husband. But, as said in the episode sometimes it is better to forget.

But, since Huang was approached by the syndicate and offered the deal to keep his memories while working for them it is very interesting. He still has those painful memories but those drive him to move forward even if it means working for a group he despises. I bet he figured working for them could help him find Shihoko and find out why; why did she kill his partner? But, not him? Did she even really care about him at all?

This is clearly important to him he usually removes his emotions on jobs (probably how he copes with all the messed up things that have happened) but he let his vested interest in this one cause him to make a critical mistake!

Just excellent I cannot wait to see the next episode!
TheCrimsonEyeAug 29, 2019 2:23 AM

Dec 29, 2020 3:21 PM

Jul 2017
Decent episode, nice to know Huang's backstory a bit more and why his relationship is strained with any Contractor or Doll given how he essentially got stabbed in the back by one, as the one he loved Shihoko was a Contractor who took out his partner at the time after she confessed her feelings to him and kissed him while drunk not too far before. He did fuck the cover at the end but its good to at least know a bit more about his character, and why he hates working with people like Hei.

I wish all of this characterization means something since I don't know how all these backstories are going to help affect the overall narrative of the story and have some actual progress happening at some point, but again like previous episodes, at least its not boring enough for the show to be bad. Just disjointed.
Jan 2, 2021 11:20 AM
Apr 2016
We've been getting stories revolving around all of them, so it's not weird or anything to see one on Huang - my personal opinion is that he's uninteresting though, so wouldn't say that I particularly enjoyed this episode. However, seems like this arc has stuff to do with Amber, so I'm invested!
Apr 8, 2021 9:17 AM

May 2020
Between the Jazz soundtrack and the noir feel of this episode, I'm reminded of that Cowboy Bepop episode about Jet.

After being a hardass for most of this show, Huang finally slips up. I liked his backstory, even though I don't care much for the character.
Jul 2, 2021 6:10 AM

Jan 2020
Wait, what happened to those 2 old hag from the Brotherhood of Gate ? Did Hei electrocute them ?

Heeeeh....even a guy like Huang had a romance moment...

Well guess it's Huang's turn to mess things up....

Aug 12, 2021 6:27 AM

Mar 2019
Well, there goes your 3 years infiltration just cause of a ghost. Huang really is conflicted, but his past is a not so happy one so I get why he's not like himself now. Also confused why Hei didn't just killed the Guru immedaitely, was it for Shihoko's sake?
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Dec 2, 2021 9:26 PM

Aug 2018
damn, way to ruin things...

Mar 2, 2023 11:56 PM

Dec 2022
Thought this would be another episodic subplot with no relevance to anything overall, but looks like it had more ties with previous episodes than I thought. Obviously it's to provide more background for Huang too.

Shaded Horizon

May 25, 2023 6:10 AM
Jun 2015
Looks like this time we learn more about Huang this around. As to be expected, he was a keen police officer but met a girl of interest who ended up being a contractor and killing his best friend. Now we know why he hates Contractors.
Instead of having his memories erased, he decided to join the Syndicate. But what’s his relationship with the spy and him?

Looks like Huang’s good judgement failed him this time. He jeopardized the mission and now has to come up with a solution
May 25, 2023 11:40 AM
Jun 2015
The religious women at Hei’s door had me dying laughing 😂😂 I’ve experienced the same thing as him and reacted the same way everytime people approach my door to spread their religion

Them: “Knowledge, tranquility, and life everlasting can be yours!”

Hei: “I’m sorry but I’m a little busy right now”

Them: “you’re never too busy to improve your spiritual well-being”

Hei: “All I wanna do right now is put my groceries up”

Them: “We’ll let us help you!” *and proceeds to invade his privacy*

The funniest scene in the show
Jul 9, 2023 5:03 PM
Mar 2021
interesting episode. about time, right? with only six to go, something good needed to happen.

damn Huang, i know life's hard out there for you but c'mon, such a silly mistake.
Aug 5, 2023 3:47 AM

Apr 2013
Huang continues to fuck everything up he touches it seems.
May 22, 5:01 AM
May 2017
That was a unexpected of Huang. Given his past I guess it made sense.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darker than BLACK - Kuro no Keiyakusha Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Apr 9, 2007

135 by robbirizaldi »»
Jun 9, 11:43 AM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zel - Aug 30, 2007

82 by almightybismarck »»
Jun 1, 9:26 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ashura - Aug 17, 2007

98 by almightybismarck »»
May 22, 6:33 AM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

TheWestExit - Aug 3, 2007

101 by almightybismarck »»
May 14, 8:28 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

windborn - Jul 31, 2007

75 by almightybismarck »»
May 13, 9:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.