Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 25, 2011 2:05 PM

Feb 2009
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
This was great! Very intriguing through the whole story and with an awesome finale! In just a few pages their roles switched and both guys turned out to be the same.
Makes me think how precious trust between two peple is. 9/10

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Sep 22, 2011 7:57 AM

Mar 2011
That was great ^^
Jun 6, 2013 9:09 PM

May 2008
I really feel the thrill when they going on and on about killing and running.
Nov 18, 2014 12:05 PM

Oct 2013
Holy crabs! I really liked this, a very nice turn at the end
Dec 1, 2014 1:55 AM

Aug 2013
That was a great conclusion.

I thought Asai was going to fake an injury on his own leg as another cover-up for telling people on the phone that someone was hurt, but I suppose that's not really necessary.

I wonder if all of the evidence of Ishikura's death within the lodge has been hidden away though.
Feb 1, 2015 3:47 AM
Mar 2012
Damn, what a twist at the end, I had my suspicions but it was executed perfectly. Luckily the series wasn't drawn out for too long else we would have lost the suspension factor.
Feb 25, 2015 4:40 AM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
I should have expected that it would turn out like this! But I was too busy feeling sorry for the first guy at first. But it really did pass on the message "Don't judge a book by its cover." A person cornered shows their ugliest side indeed.

As a whole, it was done very well. As LastChapter said, it was good that it didn't drag on for long, it kept you on your toes and it'd be hard to pull it off if it was longer. The characters were realistic enough. It's sad that people can manipulate and get manipulated so easily :/
Mar 8, 2015 11:59 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
I'm with Maffy; totally missed that coming since I was too busy feeling sorry for the first guy... and actually just being squeamish. I'm a big wuss...

The pacing of the story was good though, from start to finish. It had me asking myself "am I at the end yet?!" and reading to get there, out of anticipation not boredom. I'd like to give this a higher score, but since psychological thrillers actually really freak me out on some level, I can't say I particularly enjoyed it despite it being a worthwhile read. So, 7/10.
Jan 31, 2016 5:53 PM

Aug 2009
Loved the ending, really brought everything together.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jan 9, 2018 10:10 PM

Dec 2013
Brilliant twist at the end. Got to reread this one since I forgot it the first time, and I was still surprised that Asai was the actual killer. This time around I realized why Asai never wanted to admit that he murdered the woman. He initially thought the other guy saw him kill her due to the pen incident, but he probably felt relieved when the other guy confessed thinking that he was the killer the whole time. Asai was happy that he would be getting away with murder, and apparently he will again the second time.
Sep 17, 2019 11:48 PM

Jun 2016
I don't know if this is the correct term but I feel like there was a lot of dramatic irony within this manga. It had me excited, it had me nervous and paranoid, it had me creeped out, it had me intrigued, but weirdly enough it had me laugh a lot near the end and at the beginning. Ishikura was great, I would say he’s a man of little conviction. He starts out by confessing to a murder and feeling as though he can die happy, but then a few steps away the lodge awaits. Hilarious, if you ask me, I love the look on his face as Asai carries him. Then once locked away and the truth out he decided to kill Asai. Easily, largely too out of guilt and anger, “it’s HIS fault I killed Sayuri!”, he even shifted the blame onto Asai saying “I killed her but you really killed her”! So, all this coldblooded murder stuff happens and the second he hears that he is not responsible for killing Sayuri the relief he felt when he was dying comes back and he smacks Asai on the back like they’re old chums. The second his hands are off Asai’s throat he’s making jokes and being all friendly, telling Asai to cheer up. Ishikura just wanted his guilt resolved that’s all, despite all that “poor Sayuri” stuff he didn’t feel too perturbed by the knowledge. And meanwhile Asai who firstly appears weirdly nice is completely not sympathetic at all! He shows it wasn’t the charitable reading of him not being able to face his murder, but the reading that he was out for his own ass no matter what. And by nearly killing Asai, Asai confesses, the innocence moves to Ishikura, and now the situation Asai was in when they first entered the lodge has swapped completely. Now the truth is out and Asai needs to kill Ishikura, ending with the first line of the manga, “it’s his fault for listening”. Just, this time Asai didn’t need to play a cat and mouse game.

So outside of the comedy I find in this, I thought this manga ruled!!! It has a great artstyle and super clever and striking drawing techniques, Fukumoto’s writing comes through with the look into paranoia, the idea of time poisoning the brain, the cycle of distrust and all leading to that exciting shounen-esque battle and then this ironic ending. That’s some good stuff. These two felt like they had some depth too, my understanding of their relationship constantly changed. Damn, and Asai is a mom and baby killer because she got in the way of his future!!! Something that ends up feeling obvious in retrospect. I do want to say as horrible as these two men ended up, their emotions felt real, the nervousness on Asai’s face when he killed Sayuri, his fear like when he held the knife, his intense and deprived decision to fight, all of that or Ishikura’s regrets and happiness and everything, it made them feel somewhat real. Like they were more than pawns in a narrative.

Great short manga with two likable-unlikable lead characters! 7/10
Oct 14, 2019 12:16 AM
Jul 2018
I think this is a must read if you are looking for a easy to complete gradual buildup manga.
Sep 13, 2021 4:08 AM

May 2020
Such an entertaining manga with a great concept to boot.

I did feel like the characters were a bit weak but damn, the chapters at the beginning, when Asai gradually became more and more terrified of Ishikura, were great. I think it would've been interesting if it was all just in Asai's head and Ishikura was willing to trust him. The bad weather and both of their physical handicaps made this even more tense.
Dec 24, 2022 12:47 PM

Aug 2016
Kawaguchi´s art is really good, but I would have enjoyed it way more if FKMT did the art.
:v
Dec 6, 2023 11:50 PM

Jul 2021
This end kinda makes me mad i was with Asai throughout the whole manga, then he turns out to be bad. It was still fun to read.

8/10

Dec 23, 2023 2:50 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Oh damn, so that was his 2nd kill and you wouldn't expect the MC to be the one doing it, interesting short story
Apr 14, 1:51 PM

Aug 2018
Honestly both of These guys are scumbags but ishi killed (or tried to kill) a woman because she wasn't his or she didn't share his feelings basically incel rage . Asai is horrible for killing her because of his ulterior motives regarding marrying a CEO daughter but ishi is honestly a more dangerous person to society overall, he's completely unstable mentally and has a deep victim complex that could justify any bad thing he does to himself and he showed that he's ready to murder a woman if he felt jealously or didn't get love from her.
Overall Asai despite his motives for killing not being justified still had better reasons than simply "she won't go out with me" so I prefer him surviving over ishi.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Confession Chapter 10 Discussion

StevenHu - Dec 1, 2014

2 by bubba460z »»
Dec 6, 2023 11:43 PM

Poll: » Confession Chapter 9 Discussion

StevenHu - Dec 1, 2014

2 by bubba460z »»
Dec 6, 2023 11:40 PM

Poll: » Confession Chapter 8 Discussion

StevenHu - Dec 1, 2014

2 by bubba460z »»
Dec 6, 2023 11:36 PM

Poll: » Confession Chapter 7 Discussion

StevenHu - Dec 1, 2014

2 by bubba460z »»
Dec 6, 2023 11:30 PM

Poll: » Confession Chapter 6 Discussion

StevenHu - Dec 1, 2014

2 by bubba460z »»
Dec 6, 2023 11:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.