Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Condition Called Love
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 16, 8:23 AM

Nov 2011
Hananoi understands Hotaru's feelings on an emotional level and her fear from the past. In respect, he offers the best support he can.

The theme of love is obviously present here but also, they were exploring human feelings. A lot of memorable moments this episode. Most importantly, it feels like Hotaru can overcome her fear and move on from her past. What an ending, damn.
May 16, 8:24 AM

May 2020
Yeah, love does change people, but the kind of love you need, mister, is what frames a person into a “proper person”, and that could only be possible by visiting a psychiatrist. I mean he knows that fact himself as well, that’s why he asked Hotaru if the “love” she’s feeling is actually love or not lmaoooo.

Though we know her love is just a simple obligation, which this girl feels she has to be indulged in because she’s duty bound to. Also hey, obvious things aside, dude actually does LIVE WITH SOMEONE… YES HE REALLY DOES, and THAT SOMEONE IS NOT A GHOST!!! I’m afraid for grandma actually, that she has to live with someone as disturbed as Hananoi. I guess that’s the reason his parents volunteered themselves to be enlisted somewhere in the middle east or something lol, to avoid that.

Anyways, let the girl believe she has fallen in love.. for real, however little time that’d last.
May 16, 8:26 AM

Dec 2021
It only took seven episodes for a confession... I'll give them that.

Hinase confided in Hananoi about the trauma from her elementary school days related to romance. She also revealed that she had been harboring fear of love because of it. However, after meeting Hananoi, Hinase gradually began to understand the feeling of 'falling in love.' So, she decided to tell Hananoi that she liked him. But Hananoi asked in response to her confession, Is what she just said really love? To which she said that Kyo told her that every person experiences love differently, so she might not be feeling the exact same as him, but to her, that definitely is love.

I'm feeling conflicted. Hananoi's obsession makes me worry this won't end well, but the fluffy moments are enjoyable. It's surprising they're actually addressing the obsessiveness; usually, it's portrayed as super romantic in shoujo, but it's not the case here. I'm unsure if this will stay a nice shoujo or veer into weird or unhealthy relationship territory. I don't mind if the fluff is occasionally interrupted by the usual bumps and scrapes couples go through, as long as it helps Hananoi become more comfortable with the people around Hinase.

I guess I'll keep watching until the train wreck happens.

May 16, 10:41 AM

Mar 2021
Really sweet episode with some truly beautiful moments between Hotaru and Hananoi That ending was especially beautiful.
May 16, 10:47 AM
Mar 2024
Finally they are a real couple so cute. :)
May 16, 10:51 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hananoi's gran's reactions to Hotaru was textbook lol. Still his reaction of distancing himself sure was unexpected. But it served to make Hotaru's attempt to close the distance even more sweet. Though being a volunteer doctor is admirable was leaving their child alone a good idea.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 16, 10:56 AM
Jan 2022
An unnecessary drama was created in the plot... The author really doesn't know how to make a good romance anime. And there were those strange movements in the character animation... 1/5
May 16, 11:13 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Feels like the end of season one lol.
Okay now they start doing couple stuff.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
May 16, 12:05 PM
Aug 2022
This show got me giggling and kicking my feet like a high school girl it’s so unbelievably good. It’s genuinely one of the best romances I’ve ever watched. Especially considering it near entirely focuses on the romance of the main 2.

I swear that end credit scene had me worried some new plot line would come up to hurt there relationship. But thankfully nothing like that yet.
May 16, 12:41 PM
Feb 2024
She did it! A direct love confession! (*≥v≤*) Hananoi has his issues to work through, and it's a shame his grandma interrupted before they could talk about it, but it's good that they're TALKING about it. They don't sweep their feelings under the rug and leave room for misunderstandings- when they have something to say, they say it. "I want you all to myself." isn't a bizarre feeling for people in love to experience, it's how you handle it and if you go too far.
They give each other room to grow while staying by each other's sides.

"There you go again, trying to act like a good kid. When you really want something, why don't you just say so? Sometimes you should just be honest, Sonny."
"You gotta find someone else you really love."
This man really played a large part in how Hananoi processes his feelings and what he does about them. Without him or his grandmother, he really could have ended up going down a severely dark path with no way out.
And you can see that Hananoi got his earrings from the man at 22:03 🥹

Hearing his grandma recount all the ways he’s changed since Hananoi met Hotaru was such a beautiful moment, you can tell how much he means to her.
I’m glad that his grandma went out of her way to apologize to Hotaru for snapping and take some time to talk to her- it’s only natural to want to look out for your kid or grandkid, but making sure you’re still respectful to people younger than you really shows what kind of person you are.
“I miss you, Hananoi-kun.”
“Sorry. I’m here.”
I love that despite how he THINKS he feels, she knows him well enough to know what kind of person he is and see past it to what he’s truly thinking and feeling 🥰
May 16, 2:31 PM
Nov 2018
So, the next episode is the complications of being in a relationship? I figured how Hananoi was before they became boyfriend and girlfriend. He's going to become more possessive now than he was before.
May 16, 2:54 PM

Feb 2019
“And starting today we really are boyfriend and girlfriend” 😩 Fairs this was a great episode.

Appreciated Hotaru taking the time to verify her feelings with all the potential baggage Hananoi brings instead of jumping right into things with the chocolate confession. It’s going to be a long and complicated journey with a lot of ups and downs, but I’ll be here for it. I was giggling like a little girl with their second confession in the park.

If Hananoi parents really did just abandon him to go take care of poor kids in other countries, no wonder he so messed up. How you gonna help raise other kids when you don’t even raise your own 💀 that will sure enough lead to attachment, abandonment and self worth issues. I don’t think the old man’s advice was the best, though, and probably led to Hananoi’s skewed perception of love.

I think the real selling point of the story now is going to be how Hananoi grows and is changed by this relationship, hopefully for the better, becoming a more confident and stable person. Excited.
Marinate1016May 16, 3:21 PM
May 16, 4:52 PM

Oct 2014
This episode was very strange. I'm not sure if I'm the only one seeing this. I get it, they're both young and figuring out love. There will be times of immaturity and struggle of growth. I applaud Hananoi for seeing his flaws and wanting to fix them. However, I feel like in every single episode he keeps reverting back to his strange, psychotic ways. It's always in the beginning of the episode too. Then it is brushed off and the episode ends with a cute moment. From the constant love bombing, to the gaslighting and ghosting. It feels so manipulative. How are you begging this girl to fall in love with you, yet the minute she does, you want to back off. No texting, no calling kinda ridiculous. Its like he was testing her, which honestly is so creepy. If she says she loves you, she does. Why are you being weird???

On another note, I feel like that "mentor" we saw at the end of the episode doesnt help with his character growth. Mans really told him to basically find his own family through relationships. Like no.... MAYBE go to THERAPY? Maybe just maybe try to get to the root of the problem. Hananoi didn't grow up with love so he has an unhealthy relatinship with it. Like Hotaru clearly seems unbothered cause its an anime, but if it was reality girlllll this would not be IT. It's like she's his therapist. She's stronger than me thats for sure.

I'm looking forward to how the show ends, I really hope he gets the help he needs! ♡
“But even when the moon looks like it's waning...
it's actually never changing shape. Don't ever forget that.”― Ai Yazawa

... ✽

「 If only I could wash all my worries and
sorrows away with music 」
May 16, 5:43 PM
Aug 2017
Reply to IzanaSolos
It only took seven episodes for a confession... I'll give them that.

Hinase confided in Hananoi about the trauma from her elementary school days related to romance. She also revealed that she had been harboring fear of love because of it. However, after meeting Hananoi, Hinase gradually began to understand the feeling of 'falling in love.' So, she decided to tell Hananoi that she liked him. But Hananoi asked in response to her confession, Is what she just said really love? To which she said that Kyo told her that every person experiences love differently, so she might not be feeling the exact same as him, but to her, that definitely is love.

I'm feeling conflicted. Hananoi's obsession makes me worry this won't end well, but the fluffy moments are enjoyable. It's surprising they're actually addressing the obsessiveness; usually, it's portrayed as super romantic in shoujo, but it's not the case here. I'm unsure if this will stay a nice shoujo or veer into weird or unhealthy relationship territory. I don't mind if the fluff is occasionally interrupted by the usual bumps and scrapes couples go through, as long as it helps Hananoi become more comfortable with the people around Hinase.

I guess I'll keep watching until the train wreck happens.
@IzanaSolos this show is so much better than frieren
May 16, 9:27 PM
Jan 2022
Reply to Viya
This episode was very strange. I'm not sure if I'm the only one seeing this. I get it, they're both young and figuring out love. There will be times of immaturity and struggle of growth. I applaud Hananoi for seeing his flaws and wanting to fix them. However, I feel like in every single episode he keeps reverting back to his strange, psychotic ways. It's always in the beginning of the episode too. Then it is brushed off and the episode ends with a cute moment. From the constant love bombing, to the gaslighting and ghosting. It feels so manipulative. How are you begging this girl to fall in love with you, yet the minute she does, you want to back off. No texting, no calling kinda ridiculous. Its like he was testing her, which honestly is so creepy. If she says she loves you, she does. Why are you being weird???

On another note, I feel like that "mentor" we saw at the end of the episode doesnt help with his character growth. Mans really told him to basically find his own family through relationships. Like no.... MAYBE go to THERAPY? Maybe just maybe try to get to the root of the problem. Hananoi didn't grow up with love so he has an unhealthy relatinship with it. Like Hotaru clearly seems unbothered cause its an anime, but if it was reality girlllll this would not be IT. It's like she's his therapist. She's stronger than me thats for sure.

I'm looking forward to how the show ends, I really hope he gets the help he needs! ♡
@Viya you described exactly how I feel watching this, thank you.
May 17, 12:13 AM
Oct 2019
Wow that was a beautiful human drama.
May 17, 5:36 AM

Mar 2008
I get the impression it isn't so just Hananoi being afraid of abandonment again, he wants to be sure he doesn't make anyone feel like his parents did to him so he tries not to spread love around too thin, he just overshot a reasonable goal.

I'm pretty tired of uninformed comments I have to see from people every episode comment section. As someone who has studied psychology for years originally from studying wanted to be a psychotherapist, and spoken to many people with all sorts of problems that saw therapists, therapists are highly overrated if not outright not even worth a damn in most cases at least not the mainstream abnormal psychotherapists. Most appear to be incompetent or uncaring even though they maybe cared in the past at one point. They fail to painfully obvious extremes if you ever talk to anyone close about their experiences in detail. The average therapist will only help someone vent to someone they could have done just as much with any friend but a friend would actually care, not a therapist they put on a fake face and keep their emotional distance. The therapist is just meant as a guide and they rarely ever give useful advice outside of CBT basically gaslighting you because it doesnt even touch on the root of the problem just downplaying your emotions. Everything is on the patient to do themselves but going it alone is why so many do not get better and keep seeing a therapist for decades helping them buy a nice beach house. What actually helps people is having a support network of close people that legitimately care and are understanding and some decent at communicating and decent at giving advice when needed.

Hananoi is troubled but he's not a bad person and not shown to be a danger to anyone, he was to himself earlier in the series but we are past that now it seems since he hasnt done anything so drastic it would hospitalize him over something petty. I dont think his goal of only having Hotaru would be a good one if that is what he actually wanted but not caring for weak social connections is normal, some people dont like big groups, but he should ideally have more than just Hotaru though. I think people just need more empathy and patience.
May 17, 5:55 AM
Mar 2018
I got such whiplash when Hananoi asked to take a step back from the relationship, like WTF. And just after Hotaru explained her own trauma regarding love, too...

The ending of the episode was pretty cute, and I'm glad that we can understand Hananoi's point of view much better now that we know about his parents.

The grandmother is pretty nice!
May 17, 7:59 AM

Jun 2022
WAAAAAAH THIS EP WAS SO WHOLESOME THEYRE FINALLY OFFICAL!!!!!
worries me how we still have like 5 more eps to go like what will even happen

May 17, 8:40 AM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
This was a great one, not just for Hotaru and Hananoi officially being a couple now, but also for getting more on Hananoi’s backstory, it’s becoming more and more clear as to why he is the way he is, the biggest factor being that his parents have been out of his life since they’re all over the world helping people, that’s a noble cause and all but they do have a son to raise, so it’s hard for me to really respect them. And in the after credits we had that old guy who I noticed has the same earrings that Hananoi currently has, and his advice to Hananoi about finding a soulmate is also probably a heavy contributor to his behavior in the present when it comes to relationships. I don’t think it was bad advice necessarily, but I don’t think it helped him a whole lot, at least until Hotaru came around.

But besides that, this episode had some very nice Hotaru and Hananoi moments, it did kinda hurt to see Hananoi back off from seeing each other for a while seemingly out of nowhere but their reunion later was incredibly sweet, the love is very strong now. And I like that Hotaru basically did exactly what Hananoi did at the start of the episode by letting him know what he’d be dealing with if he wants to date her, felt like a good full circle kinda thing. But with that they’re now a couple, there’s still quite a bit of show left so I’m sure it won’t be purely smooth sailing but I do look forward to seeing them do things as an actual couple along with what problems may arise, since that’s relationships lol.
May 17, 8:53 AM
Sep 2021
Hotaru & Hananoi confessed to each other & they started to date for real. Let's see how their life unfolds.
May 17, 9:22 AM

May 2013
Show releases it's best two episode to date and the score continues to plummet. Kids these days smh.
May 17, 9:28 AM

May 2013
Reply to Landonime
@IzanaSolos this show is so much better than frieren
@Landonime Bruh, this show's underrated and all, but I'm not going to touch that argument with a ten foot pole xD. Frieren's story and character building is just in a different stratosphere. I'd take a season 2 of frieren even if it was all bad cg and/or a slideshow. It will kill me to watch the production fall apart like that, but the writing is just that good.

Also, talk about two series that couldn't be any less similar xD. They're each good for their own completely different reasons; no need comparing those two shows.
May 17, 9:31 AM
Aug 2017
Reply to turtleinshell
@Landonime Bruh, this show's underrated and all, but I'm not going to touch that argument with a ten foot pole xD. Frieren's story and character building is just in a different stratosphere. I'd take a season 2 of frieren even if it was all bad cg and/or a slideshow. It will kill me to watch the production fall apart like that, but the writing is just that good.

Also, talk about two series that couldn't be any less similar xD. They're each good for their own completely different reasons; no need comparing those two shows.
@turtleinshell I know homie that's the joke I try to do every week to get a rise out of someone 🤣 you are smart enough just by your response I can tell you saw the meme xD
May 17, 6:23 PM
Oct 2022
The relationship between Hotaru and Hananoi is becoming more and more filled with love and passion. They just form a great couple.

They already confessed each other their true feelings and only the best is yet to come. I really want to see how happy they are and I desire for them to get rid of any fear and manifest pure love.

Love can really change people, this is the truest fact. Hananoi-kun understand Hotaru’s feelings and he knows what she’s feeling about him.
May 17, 9:02 PM
Mar 2015
Our boi needs to show her that he really loves her
May 17, 11:32 PM
May 2018
Reply to Benedito29
An unnecessary drama was created in the plot... The author really doesn't know how to make a good romance anime. And there were those strange movements in the character animation... 1/5
@Benedito29 here comes the snob who even don't really cares to bother the manga and easily judge the story lmao
May 18, 12:25 AM

Oct 2020
Congrats, you two to be now girlfriend and boyfriend.
May 18, 1:29 AM

Nov 2020
Is it just me or does the animation looks weird on this episode?
May 18, 1:32 AM

Nov 2020
Reply to teraphIl1000
I got such whiplash when Hananoi asked to take a step back from the relationship, like WTF. And just after Hotaru explained her own trauma regarding love, too...

The ending of the episode was pretty cute, and I'm glad that we can understand Hananoi's point of view much better now that we know about his parents.

The grandmother is pretty nice!
@teraphIl1000 For real I was like "but bitch, isn't this what you wanted?" the fuck? I'm glad they talked it out but idk, I didn't like it. I remember being that age and how things like that felt, it didn't feel nice that's for sure
May 18, 7:00 AM

Oct 2011
This no contact stuff was so annoying.

I like that it got real with his parent's work, great that they are helping others but what about their own child?

Damn, ngl this was cute af. From ep to ep I like it more (despite some illogical stuff). That forehead kiss was 10/10.

Long post credit scene. A little bit of Hananoi's past, something to excuse his obsessiveness I guess.
May 18, 3:35 PM

Apr 2019
Their relationship finally became offficial after valentines day though they did try to distance away from each other just to confirm if their feelings are true for each other which it was and now we learn more about Hananoi kun's parents and childhood, last time was mostly Hinase's backstory and family which is good
May 18, 6:59 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Idk why i am cringing perhaps that's how real this episode can be so its a glad from me they manage to confirm the loves sparkling real. Obsession can be hard, and they manage to handle it well, especially with Hananoi case. Hotaro was the one that i fear its not gonna end up good, but her one word definitely meaning a lot at this episode. Wish those old man can still be around so there might be more fun dialogue. Let's see next....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
May 19, 8:33 AM

Dec 2020
Avoiding interaction and other stuff was a L decision. But all's well if the end's well. Hananoi got a much deeper understanding of how much irreplaceability does Hotaru holds in his life and their bond got even stronger

Now they're officially in a relationship. Looking forward to the more developed experience uwu
May 19, 12:42 PM
Feb 2023
So what I'm going to ask is, the reason why Hananoi is a little creepy about being obsessed with Hotaru was because his family didn't showed him enough love? Also the old man gave him an idea, too.
May 20, 2:08 PM
Jul 2014
This is becoming creepier and creepier and more and more uncomfortable ...

Been a while since I've seen such bad interactions and writing lol
May 22, 7:35 AM

Jul 2017
Hotaru having finally come around accepting her own love for Hananoi, it's the same for him to see love in a different way, and for the better, thanks to her.

With the Valentine's chocolate, Hotaru's confession has come full circle, but Hananoi's interpretation of love, though of the stalkerish and possessive kind, Hotaru has to think twice, before getting interrupted by his grandmother who just came back home. The days thereafter, leave Hananoi ghosting Hotaru for reasons unknown given his past with his grandparents, and Hotaru shopping for groceries for her family, chances upon Hananoi's grandmother once again, who wants to talk to her regarding Hananoi, which she learns more about his immediate family, who're nursing volunteers for the poor, but ignoring their very own son, which he is forced to stay with his grandmother. Being apart for a few days, Hotaru understands Hananoi that he may not want to talk about it, but this puts Hotaru in a daze where she feels lonely.

The same night where Hotaru misses Hananoi a lot, him coming running to her place, and she reacts the same by running towards him with glee, genuinely missing him a lot. And contonuing their conversation from that night before, Hotaru becomes more positive that her love for Hananoi is real, and wanting their relationship to pan out despite their differences. With a kiss on her forehead, Hotaru and Hananoi's relationship has just begun, on the former's 16-year-old life.

Most certainly, young Hananoi learnt some about romance and finding a soulmate, and being Hotaru's boyfriend, there's a lot they need to do to make their relationship work.
May 23, 8:14 AM
Oct 2021
The internal dialogue is so interesting.
May 27, 6:18 PM

Jan 2022
Reply to Benedito29
@Benedito29 Bro hates this anime because he's never experienced love before
This never updates so that's cool
May 27, 6:19 PM

Jan 2022
The confession recap took so long tbh

The grandmother is hilarious

The fact that he tried pushing her away made me so mad. But he had good intentions, he wanted to take a step back so that she could clearly make up her mind about whether or not she actually likes him

Oof...Hananoi's parents are pretty selfish and it seems like granny has some resentment towards his parents. I don't blame her. I would also be upset if my grandchild was abandoned. I'm not sure how poor Hananoi is coping with that. Its interesting that they showed artwork of a mom and her baby when granny talked about Hananoi's parents' absence.

I teared up a little when Hotaru walked outside to hug Hananoi. Hotaru is so fucking cute, I love her so much. Super happy for the both of them things are moving along nicely <3
This never updates so that's cool
May 28, 9:33 AM

Jun 2013
Reply to Viya

@Viya AMEN! All of this.

The kind of love Hananoi-kun has been showing is toxic. He needs to seriously see a therapist. All the love bombing then suddenly ignoring her and not messaging her and then running to her house just because she texted him and said she wanted to see him. Hmmm... this is coming from someone (me) who has read the manga and watching the anime, going over the scenes again, make me go "yikes" whenever I see how Hananoi-kun has been treating Hotaru. For some people, especially some younger people who have probably stumbled upon this series, might find this appealing (my younger self did until I experienced it firsthand and it took me months to escape from that toxic relationship and found happiness in setting boundaries and recognizing toxic behavioral patterns in people). In reality, this is very unhealthy. Hotaru is having a hard time speaking up for herself as well.

Many Hananoi-kun fans may disagree with me but he has the makings of someone who can potentially turn into a full blown narcissist and abuser. He needs to address these issues.
臭い-
May 28, 10:41 AM

Oct 2020
it's better than the first episodes. Hananoi is making progress with social interactions.
May 28, 9:45 PM
Feb 2016
Hotaru-chan, leave Hananoi-kun...

AND DATE ME INSTEAD ILY

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hananoi-kun to Koi no Yamai Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - 8 hours ago

13 by OtakuKun1 »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Hananoi-kun to Koi no Yamai Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 4

147 by JonDingoman »»
Jun 4, 11:09 PM

Poll: » Hananoi-kun to Koi no Yamai Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - May 30

43 by whimsidoll »»
Jun 4, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Hananoi-kun to Koi no Yamai Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - May 23

46 by m0e9i8 »»
May 31, 12:02 PM

» Give it more time, It will shine

mohamed_ashraf - May 3

36 by Suprgamr123 »»
May 28, 12:21 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.